home
RSS
Extremely obese teens take risks as peers do
April 25th, 2011

Extremely obese teens take risks as peers do

A new study in the journal Pediatrics says high school students who are extremely obese engage in high-risk behaviors at rates similar to peers who maintain a healthy weight.

"Not only are they at health risk, but they also are typical teens and they're struggling with the same things that potentially other teens are struggling with," said senior study author Meg Zeller, from the Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center, who also is an associate professor of pediatrics at the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine.

"We need to be talking about safe sex, drugs and alcohol with every teen and not assuming that this population is somehow not engaging in those behaviors," she said.

Researchers looked at data from a nationwide survey conducted in 2007 by the Centers of Disease Control and Prevention.  They compared 410 extremely obese high school students with 8,669 of their peers who had a healthy weight.  The measurement was the student's Body Mass Index, or BMI- a measurement which takes into account height, weight and gender.

An adolescent who had a BMI greater than or equal to the 99th percentile was considered extremely obese; those who had a BMI in the fifth to 84th percentile had a healthy weight.

The survey included specific questions about smoking cigarettes, the use of drugs or alcohol, sexual behaviors and thoughts of suicide.

The results showed the two groups had similar experiences, with few exceptions.

Zeller said the most surprising results involved sexual behavior.

"Our findings would suggest that teen girls who are extremely obese are less likely to have had sex- (that) was not surprising, but what was concerning was the fact that if they were sexually active, or had been sexually active, that it was more likely to be under the influences of substances," she said. "So it really paints this picture of vulnerability for this sub-population of teen girls and it really makes us question what their social interactions are really like."

In addition, both males and females in the extremely obese group were more likely to report having tried cigarettes. Extremely obese females were more likely to currently smoke and use smokeless tobacco.

Zeller noted that the study is part of research on bariatric surgery among these young people.

"We really need to understand the spectrum of health and mental health issues that these teens present with and how those things may change over time following a significant weight loss," she said.

"It's sort of adding another layer to the health and psychosocial risk for this sub-population of youth. They have type 2 diabetes, they have hypertension, they have sleep apnea, they have poor quality of life. These kids are suffering medically and psychosocially, and now we know that they're also engaging in high-risk behaviors. That could be a lethal combination."

1. Manda

I can honestly say that I now feel dumber from reading this article. Yes I do agree that our nation has an extreme problem with obesity however, to say that it is a surprise that obese teenagers are participating in risky behaviors is completely ignorant. All teenagers are at risk for participating in risky behaviors. Just because their weight may be high or low doesn't mean they are more or less likely to take part in risky behaviors. And yes I am talking from experience. I was an overweight teenager/young adult and I participated in those behaviors myself. It truly made no difference as to my weight. The more ignorant the person the more likely they are to not be in my company.

April 25, 2011 at 04:17 | Report abuse | Reply
    • ROFLMAO

ROFLMAO!!

April 25, 2011 at 04:57 | Report abuse |
    • Just saying...

Did it occur to you not everyone else was an overweight teen and may not have known this? It's not ignorant to think something if you know better, it's ignorant to think the same way after you DO know better. Maybe you should choose your words more wisely and learn to not be so critical. If you don't have anything nice to say, say nothing at all.

April 25, 2011 at 05:10 | Report abuse |
    • Just saying...

*if you DON'T know better

April 25, 2011 at 05:11 | Report abuse |
    • To "Just Saying"

Are you eleven? Intellectual relativism can only go so far. After that, it's unadulterated stupidity, as in the case of this article.

April 25, 2011 at 05:24 | Report abuse |
    • Wzrd1

Manda, you have a common experiential base with the overweight teens. Many do not, hence make assumptions not based in fact.
      Personally, I am glad for the study, because now we have FACTS, rather than assumptions or guesses. In other words, a scientific that was peer reviewed that reports facts, statistics and includes the data set information. From FACTS, we can adjust interventions and education.

April 25, 2011 at 09:20 | Report abuse |
    • Chris

Why would we adjust anything based upon this study? It tells us pretty much exactly what we expect to be the case is actually the case. There is some value to doing the study. There isn't much value in reporting about the study. Had the study found that obese teenagers were somehow significantly different from their peers in terms of risky behavior that would be a surprising result worth reporting on.

April 25, 2011 at 09:59 | Report abuse |
    • mckillio

Completely agree Manda, this was a complete waste of my time. I was skinny as a teenager btw.

April 25, 2011 at 10:28 | Report abuse |
    • JeramieH

Wzrd1: The burden of proof should be on anyone who claims that overweight teens behave differently than their peers. After all, the assumption being made is overweight teens behave differently than others. Those making the assumption should prove it's true, rather than the rest of us needing to prove it's false.

April 25, 2011 at 10:48 | Report abuse |
    • Conjugation

What they mean is... Their extremely large artery blocked hearts can't take all the stresses of growing up as a teenager during this time period and they should be aware their of that. Their bodies won't be able to withstand as much as their healthier peers. And no, parents are raising their kids like them so they can join "The biggest Looser family edition and then they can really bring home the bacon.

*The views expressed in this post is solely that of any parent who doesn't let their children eat the whole pie.

April 25, 2011 at 11:18 | Report abuse |
    • Sylas

Sing it, Sister! This is just more mindless dribble taking up space where legit news should be. If anything, the teens who take proper care of their health and nutrition should have been the group studied as they are the outliers. To say an overweight teenager participates in at-risk behavior just like a skinny teenager is like saying fat people breathe oxygen just like skinny people breathe oxygen.

April 25, 2011 at 16:16 | Report abuse |
    • Alex

I have to agree with you. We needed a STUDY to tell us that overweight teens acted the same as normal-weight teens? Really?? Show me one teenager that isn't a walking cornucopia of hormones and insecurities and I'll eat my hat.

April 25, 2011 at 18:43 | Report abuse |
    • Bill2121

Being a future educator, I believe it is important for us not only as teachers, but also as individuals to be physically active on a daily basis. Rather than finding out that obese students are just as likely to participate in risky behaviors, we should be doing our best to inform all of our children and students about the benefits of physical activity and how being consistently physically active can help you maintain a healthy lifestyle.

April 26, 2011 at 04:15 | Report abuse |
    • Bill2121

Mcdonalds is not the problem because everyone has the choice to go there or not. The problem is that people are not educated enough about the benefits of eating healthy and exercising.

April 26, 2011 at 04:19 | Report abuse |
    • Jack

You sound ugly Manda.. how much are you weighing now?

April 26, 2011 at 10:56 | Report abuse |
  2. Holy Cow

HOLY COW!!

April 25, 2011 at 04:46 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Bulloch

Holy Rusted Metal, Batman!!

April 25, 2011 at 16:17 | Report abuse |
  3. fonseka

Sometimes i feel some parents are bringing up children for meat.

April 25, 2011 at 05:22 | Report abuse | Reply
    • james76er

Or shmeat

April 25, 2011 at 10:41 | Report abuse |
  4. Lisa

Really, people who struggle with their weight are like everybody else? They have the same struggles? No way!!! You mean they ARE human?? This article is so stupid. I can't believe they had to do a study to find out overweight kids are human beings too.

April 25, 2011 at 06:41 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Lol

Cheers!

April 25, 2011 at 07:26 | Report abuse |
    • Lisa G

The above post is mine. I added a G to my name to keep me separate from the other poster named Lisa.

April 25, 2011 at 07:34 | Report abuse |
    • J Dubby

I like you SO much better, Lisa G. You get the sheer stupidity of this article. The worse part is, this study was probably government funded, AND the author of this article PROBABLY got paid!

April 25, 2011 at 07:52 | Report abuse |
    • Wzrd1

Yes! You are RIGHT! We should just guess and assume behavioral traits, rather than have science get FACTS and STATISTICS. Are overweight teens at greater risk of risky behavior? Lesser? The same?
      God forbid we have FACTS and KNOW the TRUTH! We should just take wild guesses and act on those guesses!
      Rather than determine risk and evaluate intervention and remediation, we should just blindly go forward on simple tribal knowledge.
      For indeed, the Earth IS flat.

April 25, 2011 at 09:24 | Report abuse |
  5. Ashamed

Wow. I am truly astonished, not by this article, but by the comments posted here. How insensitive are the remarks you people are posting. You have no idea how it feels to struggle with your weight. To diet, not eat, eat this fad or that one, try this diet pill or that one, and then finally give up and "pretend" to be happy with yourself they way you are. It's hard enough for teens, but to add a weight problem on top of it is brutal and can be devastating to some. It's comments like these posted here that make some teens kill themselves. How can people be so cruel to each other. It's shameful and it makes me sad that YOU are human beings.

April 25, 2011 at 07:10 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Andrea M

Actually, it's easy. All you have to do is trade in the pizza for a salad.

April 25, 2011 at 10:13 | Report abuse |
    • Mei

I think most of the weight problem with kids is due to parental fault. If the parents are overweight, the children often mirror that example. If the parents don't care about their kids or don't take their responsibilities seriously, they ignore the problem or assume the child will correct their bad eating habits on their own. I knew of some girls who told me their own mom confessed to intentionally making them fat as kids because she didn't want her children to "leave her". Not sure what that meant but in the end, the mom left the kids anyway and took off. The poor girls went through all sorts of psychological issues due to the overweight and abandonment by their mother. I just think selfishness is at the root of most problems kids suffer today. The selfishness of the parents.

April 25, 2011 at 10:22 | Report abuse |
  6. Lisa

My oh my arn't people just a bit touchy this morning! Studies of obese teenagers are very important for many reasons, and not done simply to find out that "overweight" kids are human too. No one ever suggested that they were not. Obesity among children is a fairly new health risk, and a very deadly one that has reached epidemic proportions in the United States. So while you narrow minded trolls sit at your computer today and make fun of children, just remember that these children are dying a very slow, painful, and emotionally devastating death. If that is not worthy of bringing to the attention of the general public, I don't know what is. I personally don't care what Lindsey Lohan is doing today, nor do I believe that Obama was born in Kenya. What I care about is that we have a deadly epidemic in our midst, and we are a society of selfish, ignorant people unwilling to acknowledge that the emperor is naked!

April 25, 2011 at 07:20 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Lisa G

Just so everybody knows, there are two Lisa's here. I posted the sarcastic comment up a few posts saying how silly this article is because people don't seem to realize that overweight people are just like everybody else. They want love, friendship, kindness and compassion...just like thin people. I have added a G to my name to keep the two Lisa posters separate.

April 25, 2011 at 07:34 | Report abuse |
    • Jen

Lisa, I totally agree. Our society is full of selfish, ignorant people who scorn those who appear to be "below" them. While most people go about their merry ways, there are scores of others struggling and suffering and in desperate need of help. Forget if it was their own fault they found themselves in trouble. They need help out! We all screw up and all need a break(s).

April 25, 2011 at 09:08 | Report abuse |
    • Jen

You're right; it IS an epidemic. That's why I cannot understand why the study counted teenagers below the 84th percentile of BMI as being a healthy weight. It doesn't make any sense! It's known that about 1/2 of American teens are overweight. Even the most conservative estimates say that at least 1/3 of teens are overweight. So how can an American teen at the 84th percentile for BMI be at a healthy weight? Either there were a lot of fat kids counted in the "healthy" group, or these BMI percentiles are so pathetically out of date that 35%-45% of American children fall above the 84th percentile (yeah, it makes no sense mathematically).

April 25, 2011 at 09:23 | Report abuse |
  7. Joe

Lisa, I think the sarcasm that is being employed by most of the posters here is because this article is about such a rediculous concept; that obese teens are behaving exactly like non-obese teens. As if being obese is going to somehow change the fact that they are teenagers and are not going to participate in the same activities and rituals as their peers who are not obese.
    This was a rediculous study that proved nothing.

April 25, 2011 at 07:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Sarah B.

My husband and I were at dinner last week when a family of 4 came into the restaurant. Both parents and both children were obese. In fact, they all waddled in. The little boy and girl were huge for their age. They sat close enough to us and I heard both children order a Coke (not diet) to drink....as well as the parents. I guess since the parents are lardazzes they want their children to be as well. Wake up parents......get on a treadmill and take your children with you.

April 25, 2011 at 07:29 | Report abuse | Reply
    • chef dugan

Parents like that are either blind or stupid. They are fat, they are ugly, they are disgusting and they don't even care. As to only being able to afford that kind of food? That's just another cop out for not having any pride in your appearance and no will power to change it. They are what they are and probably will never change.

April 25, 2011 at 09:20 | Report abuse |
    • Sandy

You accuse the parents of being "lardazzes" , but what about you? Are you bringing your children up to be eavesdropping judgmental people who label others? So the family has weight issues. That's unfortunate, but no reason for you to sit there feeling superior and actively finding fault with them. For all you know, the kids drink water and milk at home, and Coke is reserved as a restaurant treat. Many parents (me included) do not allow our children to drink diet drinks because we want to limit exposure to artificial sweeteners. You also don't know whether or not they exercise. You can get a lot of exercise and still be fat, and you can still be fat even after losing a lot of weight. My point, of course, is you knew nothing about this family, you just projected your own prejudices against fat people on them based on a drink order. This says more about you than perhaps you intended.

April 25, 2011 at 12:32 | Report abuse |
  9. Joe

**Ridiculous (and I spelled it wrong twice).

April 25, 2011 at 07:29 | Report abuse | Reply
    • J Dubby

I agree. This is a very stupid article. At least it is not about a stupid wedding that is on another continent that has nothing to do with me or anybody that I personally know, therefore not affecting them in any way, whatsoever. Some people must live seriously boring lives.

April 25, 2011 at 07:37 | Report abuse |
  10. J Dubby

Dang it! Now I am hungry!

April 25, 2011 at 07:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Was Buf., Now Was.

You mean fat people are people too? Wow, who would have thunk "they" live like "us?!" C'mon, folks, just because a kid's overweight doesn't mean he doesn't want to get high and get laid.

April 25, 2011 at 07:57 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Teller of Truth

Fat people (except for the TINY percent with an actual, real, systemic problem) do not have a weight problem. They have an eating problem. They eat too much and exercise too little.

Simple enough?

April 25, 2011 at 08:03 | Report abuse | Reply
    • CityGirl

I totally agree with you. I hate when people tell me that I’m skinny because I’m lucky or was just born that way. I always watch what I eat and exercise 4-5 times a week.

April 25, 2011 at 10:22 | Report abuse |
    • Renny

I agree with you. The only ones I feel sorry for are the ones that have a real medical cause for their weight issues. The rest, well I don't feel sorry for them at all. They pretty much deserve what they get, whether it is medical problems brought on by their lazyness/lack of self control, or the scorn they receive from people that work hard to remain healthy. I hate that my taxes go toward their medical care.

April 25, 2011 at 10:47 | Report abuse |
    • Greg

Wrong – that is why exercise does not help and almost all people stay obese, or return back to obesity.
      With the typical american diet, you can't exercise that much required in the long term.
      It's the wrong food. Look at what slim people in Europe or Asia eat. Unprocessed food!
      Most don't even like junk food, or fake pizza.

April 25, 2011 at 11:48 | Report abuse |
  13. Q. Sosi

Every time I read reader comments on an article about a recent scientific study, I find it funny that the majority of the posters have no concept of the scientific method/process. Research is done in a controlled manner such that the results and conclusions produced are OBJECTIVE (hopefully, there are pitfalls in all studies). All your statements saying "well, this is so stupid and obvious...I know two really obese teens and they are doing the same risky things as the rest" are anecdotal and imbued with your own bias; they are therefore SUBJECTIVE. What is "obvious" to you, may be "obvious" to another in a completely different way: "well, fat people are lazy, so they wouldn't have the energy to engage in high risk behaviors; they'd just lay on the couch and eat chips all day". In science, you could form a hypothesis (if you had absolutely no prior data to go on) based on that SUBJECTIVE information, but the conclusions you form from your research, that you use to either support or reject your hypothesis (or find the study inconclusive), must be based on OBJECTIVE data that has withstood rigorous statistical tests. Why is it important to use OBJECTIVE data rather than SUBJECTIVE anecdotes when making policy or medical decisions? Anecdotes are one-off observations; the experiences of one person or even a group of individuals often does not reflect the experiences of the whole population, and are often tainted by bias or confounding factors which it hard to derive a single conclusion. The OBJECTIVE data resulting from studies has been stripped of that bias and the confounding factors (as much as possible) and is more easily interpreted statistically to form a population-relevant conclusion. And what is "obvious" is that it is more appropriate to apply a population-wide conclusion to the population, than to apply @Slim Whitman's experiences to the population.

So, when reading an article about scientific studies, try to remember the difference between SUBJECTIVE information and OBJECTIVE data. Be grateful that there are scientists out there working to bring you OBJECTIVE data; your doctor should be treating you NOT with his opinion but with researched and statistically-sound conclusions.

April 25, 2011 at 08:06 | Report abuse | Reply
    • J Dubby

Still does not change the fact that there are probably better things scientists could be doing with their time. At least, that is my subjective theory.

April 25, 2011 at 08:09 | Report abuse |
    • Q. Sosi

@J Dubby: Sure, there may be better things out there to research. But, given that the data reported on by this article are only some side conclusions from a larger study on bariatric surgery in teens, there may be more important conclusions forthcoming.

April 25, 2011 at 08:18 | Report abuse |
    • Q. Sosi

Also, there is a notion of scientific freedom. Scientists must be free to determine the focus of their research and not be subject to coercion from the ignorant public, politicians, or the state (but of course, we are all at the mercy of the governmental and non-governmental funding agencies on which we depend for our livelihoods). This freedom, to some extent, breeds ingenuity, progress, and breakthroughs. Research under totalitarian regimes does less so (but there are notable exceptions). So while we must endure some subjectively "stupid" research, the end result of that freedom is rarely disappointing.

April 25, 2011 at 08:32 | Report abuse |
    • Dan

They had to do a scientific study to find OBJECTIVE data that fat people are human. Wow.

April 25, 2011 at 09:36 | Report abuse |
    • Chris

I am just not sure what value there is in reporting something so painfully obvious. I understand why they would do the study as obese teens risk behavior may have been different from their peers. That said, since they didn't find that to be the case I am not sure why it is front page news. On a side note, does 410 sound like a small sample size for a nationwide study.

April 25, 2011 at 10:14 | Report abuse |
    • Med Student

I understand what you mean and I'm not questioning the merit of the research, but you have to admit, the write-up on this article for lay people is pretty poor; whether or not the research is valuable or not, this report trivializes and oversimplifies the findings.

April 25, 2011 at 21:23 | Report abuse |
  14. Debbie

hey i'm not in full support of the article but at least give a little attention to the obese. i have a couple of friends who are over-weight,they are very comfortable to be around with, be a little caring it will help

April 25, 2011 at 08:34 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Chris

mcdonald is not the problem, it is the effect.
    the problem is a lack of education in people like you,
    stuck in pre-puberty behaviour and development.

April 25, 2011 at 08:44 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Dave

I love it when people find new ways to alienate fat kids

April 25, 2011 at 08:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Chris

Very good article. As usual, most responses show a lack of scientific training and education,
    but a willingness to quickly judge and comment without first fully understanding the topic.
    That is our modern TV society: lazz, uneducated, short attention span, hahaha,
    ignorance is blissful. Enjoy the dog food.

April 25, 2011 at 08:57 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. America

Just look at the comments above and we can see why America is going down the drain.

April 25, 2011 at 09:00 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Slick Talk24

Aww man that's a good one. Can't even lie about that.

April 25, 2011 at 09:03 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Dave

Fat people are lazy and lack will power

April 25, 2011 at 09:14 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Dave

Of course Fat girls engage in risky behavior they take what ever they can get

April 25, 2011 at 09:21 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Travel1985

You're an idiot

April 25, 2011 at 12:28 | Report abuse |
  22. chef dugan

And if what you say is true who is to blame? They stuff unhealthy food in their mouth non-stop and then wonder why people think they're fat and ugly. Well, they are and will continue to be until they take charge of their food intake. Most of them are too stupid to care. Your are certainly right about that piece of crap Lohan.

April 25, 2011 at 09:26 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Dan

Wow, an article that points out that Obese teens are human afterall. I am shocked that you are not mad about this article. After all, you would rather treat them as cattle. You only care about what is on the outside. Your post shows just how ignorant you are about others.

April 25, 2011 at 09:34 | Report abuse |
  23. John S.

I was in a clinical study in this hospital as a child, and the fact that they still receive funding for their worthless, harmful studies, is just a bit ridiculous.

April 25, 2011 at 09:36 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Katie

Hey, as someone who is losing weight, I got the message all the time when I was younger (from classmates and society) that I wasn't desirable and that I'd just embarrass myself if I indulged in any other risky behaviors besides overeating – so in my experience, this study actually came as a shock, because I didn't start cutting loose in any way until I was in college and started to slim down.

April 25, 2011 at 09:40 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Dave

Taking down my comments. Now I know you are a ham monster for sure

April 25, 2011 at 10:40 | Report abuse |
  25. katie

So fat people do stupid things as teens too? Really?? What a remarkable news article.. NOT...

April 25, 2011 at 09:55 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Ellen

Katie, what happens when stupidity meets ignorance?
      A comment that misses the point.

April 25, 2011 at 10:52 | Report abuse |
  26. John

I'm still fat and I still do risky stuff. Even my morning doughnut is a risk if you think about it.

April 25, 2011 at 09:59 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Greg

Of course it is. It was already clear to everybody, except you.

April 25, 2011 at 10:49 | Report abuse |
  27. BrooklynNYC

Stay tuned for the results of next week's scientific study on whether thin teens behave like teens. In two weeks, we should have the results of whether blonde teens behave like teens. In three weeks, we'll tell you whether left handed teens behave like teens...

April 25, 2011 at 10:02 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. Hanncoll

You mean to tell us that overweight teens are just like everyone else?! Shocking! Tomorrow's headlines: Sky Still Blue, Pope Still Catholic.

April 25, 2011 at 10:07 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Greg

No, it says obese kids have an extra layer of risk. Read again.

April 25, 2011 at 10:47 | Report abuse |
  29. Fellow Traveler

Healthy food is not more expensive. If you can afford to eat out [Family of Four] you could eat at home for 1/2 the cost and cut the unhealthy food.

April 25, 2011 at 10:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  30. Mei

I think most of the weight problem with kids is due to parental fault. If the parents are overweight, the children often mirror that example. If the parents don't take their responsibilities seriously, they ignore the problem or assume the child will correct their bad eating habits on their own. I knew of some girls who told me their own mom confessed to intentionally making them fat as kids because she didn't want her children to "leave her". Not sure what that meant but in the end, the mom left the kids and took off. The girls went through all sorts of psychological issues due to the overweight and abandonment by their mother. I think selfishness of the parents is at the root of most problems kids suffer today.

April 25, 2011 at 10:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  31. Leah

Wait, those who are overweight/obese are human just like everyone else??
    How profound!

April 25, 2011 at 10:29 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Greg

No, they are fatter. Read again.

April 25, 2011 at 10:48 | Report abuse |
  32. PatrickJeam

Stop eating American dog food – McDonald, Burger king, fake pizza – 2 inches thick – coca cola and other soft drink, no more sugar and exercise reasonably 3 to 4 times a week : end of obesity.... In Europe before the introduction of the American dog food people were not obese, unfortunately you now start to see some and it is due to the introduction eat fast food in European countries what a shame....

April 25, 2011 at 10:38 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Chris

True. I once watched an interview, where it was stated the american food industry was the most advanced.
      Almost fell off my chair, lol. A healthy European.

April 25, 2011 at 10:41 | Report abuse |
    • Seaburger

The American food industry may very well be the most advanced, that does not mean consumers (even europeons) want the healthiest foods. Food manufacturers make what demand dictates, in the most cost effective & efficient manner.

April 25, 2011 at 11:02 | Report abuse |
    • PatrickJeam

To Seaburger... stay fat!!!

April 25, 2011 at 11:28 | Report abuse |
    • kate

I love how you even blame America for other countries weight problems. You could eat fast food everyday and still be completely healthy. It depends on what, how much, and how much you exercise.

April 26, 2011 at 09:12 | Report abuse |
  33. Matt

I have to agree with the majority of people who have responded to this article. To think that the thought process and influences of an over-weight teen and a teen that is at a healthy weight are different just shows how biased this country is to those who are over-weight.

April 25, 2011 at 10:51 | Report abuse | Reply
  34. Renny

April 25, 2011 at 10:51 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. Pablo

Fatty Fatty

April 25, 2011 at 11:42 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. Pablo

These female teens are so fat that they left the house wearing high heels and came back wearin' flip flops

April 25, 2011 at 11:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  37. Rock

I'll take 'Pillow Talk' for 500, Alex

April 25, 2011 at 12:09 | Report abuse | Reply
  38. Mai Lin

Me sucky sucky

April 25, 2011 at 12:12 | Report abuse | Reply
  39. Otto

Exceptionally few people are born fat. They get that way very simply: they eat more than is needed, and exercise less than required.
    Food is fuel. If you eat 100 calories per day more than you burn off, you will put on weight. Keep it up for a long enough period of time, and you will be obese. Simple, inescapable, and ultimately lethal.
    But what a surprise! Teens (regardless of weight, intelligence, or body type) will engage in risky behavior. Whooda thunkit?

April 25, 2011 at 12:39 | Report abuse | Reply
    • CRone311

I agree 100%. It is the individual's responsibility to get off of the couch and be physically active. Only 20 to 30 minutes of vigorous physical activity is required for adults. Children are supposed to get around 60 minutes of physical activity a day.

April 25, 2011 at 21:43 | Report abuse |
  40. Victor

Wait a second...so what they're saying is that fat girls participate in risky behavior...how is this news? Anybody who has ever been in high school, college, a bar, or just basically living in the world can tell you that fat girls are generally willing to do anything because they often have low self-esteem and they feel that they need to do anything to get anybody to pay attention to them. In the world of mating, you really don't get much more basic than this. All due respect to the scientists who did this stufy...maybe they should have spent one night at the bar and they could have had their answers and good time to boot.

April 25, 2011 at 13:20 | Report abuse | Reply
  41. cacaface

hey, i love fat chicks:)

April 25, 2011 at 13:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  42. cacaface

i love fat chicks

April 25, 2011 at 13:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  43. Victor

The irony is that sleeping with fat chicks is like eating McDonalds since they are both cheap, fast and satisfying, but you feel like crap in a few hours. The joke, however, is on you if you marry a hot chick and then she becomes a fat chick. Then the cure is neither cheap, fast or satisfying. I think this paradox should have been noted in the article.

April 25, 2011 at 14:32 | Report abuse | Reply
  44. Mikeydaman

Actually, I think most people assume that obese teens do not participate in this sort of behavior because in reality, who is going to want to sleep with them?

April 25, 2011 at 14:49 | Report abuse | Reply
  45. Irene

Wait! You mean that obese teenagers are *gasp* like other teenagers? Mother, fetch me the smelling salts!

April 25, 2011 at 19:43 | Report abuse | Reply
  46. CRone311

Teenagers are risky no matter what their weight is. The more important point that needs to be made in regards to this article is how serious a problem teen and child obesity is in our society today. We can start to combat this problem by offering each child quality physical education in Kindergarten through 12th grade. This will help individuals become better movers which will allow the individual to be physically active. Physical activity can lengthen your lifespan and as a result ultimately allow you to live a healthier, happier lifestyle.

April 25, 2011 at 21:25 | Report abuse | Reply
  47. chineseinohio

It's no surprise to me that this study was centered in Ohio. As a native Californian who is living in Ohio, I am shocked at what I see around me. Human beings are simply not supposed to look like that. Although from a humorous standpoint, my blog shows how different things are in the Midwest (especially Ohio). http://chineseinohio.wordpress.com

April 26, 2011 at 00:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  48. Joe Redbear

@ Lisa G...I like part of what you said, about how Large Teen's want to be liked...and Loved. THat was good of you to say so. Some of thease people that made some smart ass commennt's should have there asses kicked, i have no problem doing it. THis kind of crap is called bullying.....And yes it is. Look it up stupid. 35% off teen- age suicide is caused by kid's being picked on...made fun of. And i don't Even want to hear...get thicker skin. Some day...maybe not now...next week...But someday? Are pathes will cross. And someone will make a smart ass comment in my preasence.....And you know what? I' will be honered to bust you in the mouth.

April 26, 2011 at 04:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  49. rh

Less likely than normal weight girls? The researchers never went to HS I see...

April 26, 2011 at 07:43 | Report abuse | Reply
  50. Jack

Heres a fact : Fat people are disgusting!!!

April 26, 2011 at 11:12 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Bono

To think, I was consefud a minute ago.

July 1, 2011 at 05:45 | Report abuse |