home
RSS
Mexican immigrants to U.S. at risk for mental-health problems
April 4th, 2011

Mexican immigrants to U.S. at risk for mental-health problems

Moving can be hard. You have to figure out your way around a new town and get to know new people. For immigrants, it can be especially difficult. Often, you have to learn a new language. The food is different. It can be lonely being far from family and friends. You hunger for something familiar.

That seems to be especially true for people who move from Mexico to the United States. A new study finds Mexicans who migrate are far more likely to experience significant depression and anxiety than people who stay in Mexico.

Researchers at the University of California-Davis School of Medicine collaborated with colleagues at the National Institute of Psychiatry in Mexico. They interviewed 550 Mexicans who migrated to the United States and 2,500 others who stayed in Mexico.

The researchers defined "migrant" as someone who was born in Mexico and living in the U.S. at the time he or she was interviewed.

Researchers found that during the time right after they arrived in America, Mexican migrants were nearly twice as likely to experience depression or anxiety issues. People between 18 and 25 have the greatest risk of being depressed, nearly four and a half times greater than Mexican peers who don't emigrate.

"From the Mexican side, this study is very important, because most of what we know about ... is based on studies carried out in the U.S. only," said Guilherme Borges, senior researcher with the National Institute of Psychiatry in Mexico in a news release. "Now, for the first time, we have data that compares the situation in the U.S. and in Mexico."

According to 2007 census numbers, about 12 million people living in the United States were born in Mexico. They make up 30 percent of the U.S. foreign-born population.

So why the increase in mental health issues? "Researchers have suggested for many years that the experience of being an immigrant, navigating a strange culture under harsh circumstances, would cause mental health problems. In this study we were not able to directly measure specific types of stressors, but we were able to test this important prediction of the theory that had not been tested," according to study author Joshua Breslau of UC-Davis Medical School.

The study appears in the April edition of the Archives of General Psychiatry.

1. Bill at work

I would be interested in a comparison between those here legally and illegal aliens. And the first bozo should have signed himself Butthead.

April 5, 2011 at 08:40 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. POD

Hey I would be anxious and depressed too if the INS was after me to throw me out of the country. If I had to lie when necessary about my immigration status to anyone that asked and I constantly had to take crap from a bad boss that paid me little or nothing, worked me like a dog and threatened to turn me in if I complained

April 5, 2011 at 08:42 | Report abuse | Reply
    • cass

No one forced anyone from the sewer mexico to come here. And plenty of Americans take crap from bosses and work like dogs. Living in a sanctuary city, I have zero sympathy for those who are draining my country of social services. Another large OB unit in Denver closed because of them, how many Americans do you think lost their jobs because of this?

April 5, 2011 at 08:53 | Report abuse |
    • cass

I too was an illegal immigrant once, but now I have papers. I am better than them, I am better than all of you.

April 5, 2011 at 09:45 | Report abuse |
    • Fig1024

cass, just curious, how did you obtain legal immigration if you entered US illegally? I am pretty sure right now US does not have a path to citizenship for illegals – it was subject of debate in Congress so I know. I also know that US immigration is extremely strict with regards to prior criminal offenses. It's 1 strike and you are banned forever policy. Doesn't matter what your offense was, you can never get legal entry if you have a record.

April 5, 2011 at 14:38 | Report abuse |
    • Billiam

@Fig1024 – There is such a thing called a pardon from an immigration judge. They don't give many of them out these days but they do make exceptions.

April 5, 2011 at 17:14 | Report abuse |
  3. cass

Cry me a river, they're criminals not migrants.

April 5, 2011 at 08:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. USCitizen

Is it necessary to have a pointless study as this?
    It doesn't take a genius to find out why those ILLEGAL aliens are stressed out.
    Besides have little or no education, knowledge of English language, and unskilled, those ILLEGALS aliens are mostly afraid of being pickup by ICE agents.
    Such a waste of taxpayer funds on the study!

April 5, 2011 at 08:51 | Report abuse | Reply
    • JohnDavis

Pathetic. It says NOTHING about ILLEGALS, but MEXICNA IMMIGRANTS. So to you all mexicans are illegals? How ridiculous. Not ALL Mexicans are illegal and I know many mexicans who have served for the USA and fought for it.

April 5, 2011 at 09:35 | Report abuse |
    • USCitizen

Why don't they make a study about me and how much potato chips I can eat while watching The Biggest Loser. I am the one that needs help losing 200 lbs. Not them!

April 5, 2011 at 10:09 | Report abuse |
  5. Denny

I'd agree with Mr. Hertz. I'm retired Army with over 20 years of service. I did not serve for 20 yrs so others of another country and illegaly hereget a free ride

Those that can do all the required paper work, in a ligitimate legal fasion as required by law. May stay if they pass all the legal requirements, backround checks, learn english, and assimilate into our society can stay.

The rest of the sneaking, theaving, lying, cheating, food stamp / job stealing, breading, drug dealing, multiple ID / alias, non assimilating mexicans and other central americans got to go. Be advised latinos aren't the only ILLEGALS, there are many from other nations as well.

April 5, 2011 at 08:59 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Willie12345

It's really simple. Those that comply with our laws are worthy of our respect. Most of the legal immigrants come from impoverished countries. They do not sneak into this country. They pay taxes. They become good citizens.

Those that sneak in do not respect our laws. They do not pay taxes. They are not citizens and should never become citizens until they do it the right way.

April 5, 2011 at 09:51 | Report abuse |
    • Willie12345

I was deported once but I made it back and made this my country. Not the rest of them want to come over here. No way! Send them back. Even though I went through the same thing they're going through, I don't want to help them. I am better than them, I am better than all of you.

April 5, 2011 at 10:00 | Report abuse |
    • Denny

I should also mention that I was forced to retire because I was openly gay. But that's another story.

April 5, 2011 at 12:20 | Report abuse |
    • Frank (US Marines)

@Denny
      You are a loser, it's people like you that give my Armed Forces a bad name. I'm a Marine, you are a disgrace.

April 5, 2011 at 12:23 | Report abuse |
    • Denny

Colored folks need to get out of here also.

April 5, 2011 at 12:24 | Report abuse |
    • Daniel

Let me guess... you weren't in the advanced courses in school, were you?

Your post has so many logical fallacies and only reveal your stupid racism and over-all hate for mexicans and latinos in general. Sad, sad, sad.

April 5, 2011 at 13:23 | Report abuse |
    • Gregg

The United States has been completely over run with Illegals from mexico and other central and south american countries ! This has become a serious game changer for America. When you call your bank and the recording asks you first if you speak spanish – we have a real problem ! Most Illegals are uneducated and many are criminals. The entire fabric of our country is being destroyed all in the name of the almighty buck !!

April 5, 2011 at 13:34 | Report abuse |
    • Roger

@Gregg
      If you're calling you're bank and they give you an option for Spanish, doesn't that mean that Mexicans have business with them? Doesn't that mean that money is flowing to the bank from Mexicans? What an Idiot!! Moron!

April 5, 2011 at 13:46 | Report abuse |
    • Esoterietch

@ Roger Nope, YOUR the idiot. YOUR, not YOU'RE. Next time you decide to point out someone else's 'stupidity', make sure you don't make yourself look like an illiterate idiot when you do it.

April 6, 2011 at 01:07 | Report abuse |
    • Manny

Well dont sit in front of computer and pretend your a tough guy ..do something about i..t u weakminded fool

April 6, 2011 at 17:34 | Report abuse |
  6. luis rey

The article Sez " that Mexicans that arrived in America "Where did they arrive from? Is'nt Mexico in America? I was taught That Mexicans, and people from South and Central America were and are as much Americans as any one born in the US> Was I taught wrong?

April 5, 2011 at 09:05 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Antonio C.

It looks like you went to school south of the border. The US claims that North and South America are two continents. For a long time, most people around the world were told that America was ONE continent. But since the US is the world's SuperPower, we must do as it says. Americans are from the United States of America.

April 5, 2011 at 09:14 | Report abuse |
    • Antonio C.

And if America tells me to give them all my money for taxes, I will proudly do as they say and never complain.

April 5, 2011 at 10:31 | Report abuse |
    • Antonio C.

Even though I too am Mexican, I am better than them because now I have a green card. I am better than all of you here also. I drive a corvette.

April 5, 2011 at 10:32 | Report abuse |
    • Josh21maximo

@Luis Rey they taught youthe right thing, We are Americnas as well, and I mean the ones that live in North Central and South America, We are Americans ! My skin is white ,but I am from El Salvador,and an American, some people need to learn to distinguish and differ what a country and a continent means, because "The Americas" is a whole continent. We are not but a whole CONTINENT ! , somwe ignorants just need to know the difference ! , Mexicans are Americans as well, not Europeans that were born here or Europeans descents !

April 5, 2011 at 13:21 | Report abuse |
    • ringo

@antonio, Mexico is is NORTH America. Wouldn't matter if it was two continents.

April 5, 2011 at 14:23 | Report abuse |
  7. gene

They should do a study about increased anxiety and depression in Americans who have watched their country turned into a third world ghetto by illegals.

April 5, 2011 at 09:13 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Angry with stupid comments

Then why don't you boycott all the companies that hire illegal immigrants? You will quickly realize that you can't because most do!!!!!! And why is that Gene? Because companies appreciate their work ethnic AND are inherently cheap –They don't want to spend the money on insurance or worry about legal protections. So the people you SHOULD really be ANGRY at aren't the immigrants, but the companies that refuse to hire people like you because they are more concerned about the bottom line than decency. No worry Mexicans suffer when in the US. The Blame the Victim mentality they experience is unfair and unjust.

April 5, 2011 at 09:25 | Report abuse |
    • Steven

@gene
      At least illegal immigrants are not taking advantage of the system using Food Stamps and Welfare. They pay in cash. It's white trash like you that makes this country ghetto.

April 5, 2011 at 09:31 | Report abuse |
    • Willie12345

Do you have a list of those companies that use illegals? I'd gladly boycott them. Why not posted that information on several locations on the net and others will be able to boycott them also.

April 5, 2011 at 09:47 | Report abuse |
    • Willie12345

As soon as I get my Food Stamps, I'll head to the grocery store and tell the manager which products I'm boycotting.

April 5, 2011 at 09:57 | Report abuse |
    • Lucy

@steven. You're dreaming. A friend of mine has a Mexican boyfriend, and she went to California with him to meet his relatives that lived in Compton. She said she was glad they weren't staying with the relatives because there were 8 adults living in a 1 bedroom apt, every member of the family was collecting welfare though they were all illegal, and they had plastic garbage bags of clothing and food they'd collected from various charitable organizations. Is this really the America you dream of for your children and grandchildren?

April 5, 2011 at 10:38 | Report abuse |
    • Lucy

I forgot to mention some of them were pretty hot so I gave in to some of them. But that still doesn't make it right for them to be here.

April 5, 2011 at 10:45 | Report abuse |
    • Susan

@Lucy
      You're a piece of white trash. Have some respect for us women. You give us a bad name. Also, earlier you described any white trash living in a trailer park somewhere in America.

April 5, 2011 at 10:47 | Report abuse |
    • Marian

@Lucy
      Lucy and just how many kids do you have on welfare?

April 5, 2011 at 10:49 | Report abuse |
    • Lucy

We're not talking about me here, just them mexicans. I can sleep with whomever I want. I am better than all of you anyway.

April 5, 2011 at 10:50 | Report abuse |
    • Oh Wow

You are already depressed because you didnt qualify for government assistance or welfare, lmao, go on and take another 10 pills an hr to control ur depression while ur kindey suffers all the dmage, then u;ll need another 5 pills to control that while your stomach suffers of an ulcer due to all that medication ur putting in it. lmao, see, it has nothing to do with illegal immigrants or employers that hire them. its all about u

April 5, 2011 at 12:04 | Report abuse |
    • leonhl

Great comment!

April 5, 2011 at 12:07 | Report abuse |
    • Mike

@gene
      People who use the word "ghetto" in their language are "ghetto" themselves.

April 5, 2011 at 12:07 | Report abuse |
    • Rogert

@gene
      You mean if we deported all illegal aliens we would have a first class ghetto? hahahaha
      You are an idiot.

April 5, 2011 at 12:10 | Report abuse |
    • L.A.S

@Gene- the "ghetto" parts that I've seen in the out skirts of my city(trailer parks & over crowded apartment buildings) are filled with two different races.. neither mexican or even immigrants of sorts.
      @ Lucy- if I were you I would rather be any kinda of immigrant, living with 15 people in the same room & dirt poor than roam around with anyone that would take me.
      @ everyone that can't read- it doesn't say illegal anywhere in the article

April 5, 2011 at 12:22 | Report abuse |
    • Marty

@L.A.S
      Very nice comment. Thank you.

April 5, 2011 at 12:32 | Report abuse |
    • Daniel

All you idiot right-wingers, Republicans and tea-party types are so ignorant and full of hate. You have been hood-winked by your leaders into focusing all your hate and all your frustration on immigrants (that was easy since you're racist to the core) instead of the real forces that are causing the flow of illegal immigration, that being rich, greedy, fat americans who are so focused on getting rich they don't give a damn about laws and will hire and exploit foreigners for gain. You guys need to stop hating and get educated.

April 5, 2011 at 13:26 | Report abuse |
    • slizzy

Visist Yakima, WA and you will see this rings true.

April 5, 2011 at 16:04 | Report abuse |
  8. Steven

NewsFlash! When a company setup a website to "Take the Job of A Migrant". Less than 1% of "American Citizens" showed up and they quit the FIRST WEEK! Hahaha, the truth is only they can work as hard on the fields, everyone that calls themselves hard working Americans should try spending all day in the sun hunched over and see if they still want to deport anyone.

April 5, 2011 at 09:28 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Willie12345

Nice story. Can you tell me the one about the tooth fairy again ?

April 5, 2011 at 09:45 | Report abuse |
    • cass

Yeah, it started out with your mom coming over for dinner, then she didn't want to leave so we called the Border Patrol to come get her. hahahaha

April 5, 2011 at 09:50 | Report abuse |
    • Willie12345

No wonder my mom came over smelling like beer and cigarettes. She even beat me up cause I wet my diaper again.

April 5, 2011 at 09:54 | Report abuse |
  9. JohnDavis

I thought mexicans do jobs that no one else wants. How they are they stealing jobs? You are just butthurt. I sure hope you are trolling.

April 5, 2011 at 09:37 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. blah

blah

April 5, 2011 at 09:42 | Report abuse | Reply
    • blah blah

blah blah your momma

April 5, 2011 at 09:58 | Report abuse |
  11. Willie12345

While the point made by the author is interesting, it is of little concern to me. Let's put things in the right context. We have old folks (our parents, brothers, sisters, uncles, aunts etc.) who need our help. We have our vets, our own disabled and handicapped to care for. We have our own children to educate and protect from the monsters in this world. We have cities in decay and rivers that are polluted to add to that list. The list of obligations continues to increase.

We don't need another burden. We don't want to have others sneak into this country and take away the limited resources that we have. My parents cared for me, so they are my obligation. The vets protected me, so I have an obligation. I have no obligation to those that come here at just add another burden to my exiting obligations. Sorry, but I'm worried about my own.

April 5, 2011 at 09:44 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Willie12345

Even though I like to eat the vegetables and fruit they pick everyday and pay lower prices because of it I want them out because one time one of them beat me up and took my girlfriends. How horrible. 😦

April 5, 2011 at 09:53 | Report abuse |
  12. DNAMY

ok first of all the reason why the umemployed cant get a job is because there LAZY nothing to do with Illegals commming into to country.

April 5, 2011 at 09:48 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. cass

I am a very sensitive person, please leave my country or I will cry. 😦

April 5, 2011 at 09:49 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Laurie

This study is stupid. I moved away from home when I was 19 for university, to Houston where I didn't know anyone, in an area predominately asian and hispanic. I was depressed, but I made friends and got over it. If a person is strong, no matter if they are from Mexico, the US, France, etc... they will learn to adapt to their environment and do well. The rest, well, I just don't care about them.

April 5, 2011 at 09:54 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Laurie

Oh my, As IF! I just want to get my nails done and chew gum, and tell people that to do. As if!!

April 5, 2011 at 09:55 | Report abuse |
  15. proud immigrants daughter

none of you know what it's like till you walk in their shoes...and they do jobs that you so-called hard working white people won't do..so don't tell me they are taking your jobs...so the next time you eat a salad. a tomato,broccoli,beets, and so on..think about how it got to your table....buen provecho...

April 5, 2011 at 09:57 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Stuart

Right on the money. This room is filled with a bunch of hypocrites that just like to complain.

April 5, 2011 at 10:05 | Report abuse |
    • A

While I respect immigrants and understand that most of us are descended from them, and that many of them vital to our country, I have a couple problems with your statement.

First, just because I work in an office rather than a field doesn't mean I'm not hard working. I just happen to work hard with my brain instead of my biceps.

Second, and most important, I am white and I have worked in the fields in the past, and I lasted for multiple seasons. In fact, I come from an area where many of the people working in the fields are white. I'm descended from generations of white farmers who all worked hard in the fields. So please, don't sit there and pretend that it's all Mexican migrants that work in the fields and know what hard work is. Plenty of white people have and do, and I know white people that have lost those jobs because busloads of migrants showed up and worked for cheaper.

Please understand that not all white people are bigots and not all farm workers are non-white.

April 5, 2011 at 14:01 | Report abuse |
  16. proud great great great great ... grandson of immigrant

There are enough unemployed and over population. Time to keep them and everyone else out.

April 5, 2011 at 10:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. John Q.

So are we talking legal or illegal here? Conveniently left out of the article. If illegal, of course there should be some anxiety, they are criminals! Broke federal law coming across, breaking the law to get phony identification, fraud in applying for a job or benefits, and having to lie about everything!!!! For Pete's sake, what is this, a lead-in to provide mental health coverage for illegals to adjust to being a criminal?

April 5, 2011 at 10:21 | Report abuse | Reply
    • John Q.

But thinking about it, I do enjoy all their cheap labor when they cut my lawn for half the price.

April 5, 2011 at 10:24 | Report abuse |
  18. John Q.

They should just deport the men and leave the hot senoritas here. 🙂

April 5, 2011 at 10:25 | Report abuse | Reply
    • John Q.

And maybe the some of the hot men as well. 🙂

April 5, 2011 at 10:25 | Report abuse |
  19. proud great great great great ... grandson of immigrant

I am also a gay soldier and proud of it.

April 5, 2011 at 10:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Bob

Is this study about Mexican immigrants that come here legally or illegally? America is a free country. If being here gives you some sort of mental anguish you don't have to stay.

April 5, 2011 at 10:29 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Bob

I still have mental anguish when I was beat up by mexican girls in high school, so please deport all of them. They scare me. I still cry when I get one of them as a waitress.

April 5, 2011 at 10:33 | Report abuse |
    • Bob

Just another case of political correctness gone crazy. Our government is trying to get the hispanic vote by pretending to care about illegal aliens. Not taking into consideration that a lot of hispanic people in the USA who actually took the time to come here legally take exception to Mexican nationals cutting in the immigration line. And the idea that they only do work that people already here don't want to do is complete BS.

April 5, 2011 at 10:38 | Report abuse |
    • Bob

When I was beat up as a kid I never expected to feel this way about anyone. I still have hot flashes at night. I have to even wear diapers to meetings when there's mexicans in the room. That's no way to live. I need help and if they can just go away I would not have to waste my food stamps on eating in. I could cash them in for beer.

April 5, 2011 at 10:42 | Report abuse |
  21. Diane

@proud great great great great ... grandson of immigrant
    eeeeewwwww!

April 5, 2011 at 10:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Dick Hertz

I rule and no one tells me what to do. I still wear diapers.

April 5, 2011 at 10:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Matt

Are these legal or illegal immigrants you talked to?

April 5, 2011 at 10:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Bob

Whether they are legal or not doesn't mater. It is part of Mexican culture to disobey American laws. Just like rude behavior and thievery. If you don't accept that, you must be a racist, right?

April 5, 2011 at 10:46 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Bob

I disobey the law when I speed and run red lights, but I'm still better than them because I am an American Citizen. It is my God given right.

April 5, 2011 at 10:52 | Report abuse |
    • Bob

I still we my diapers

April 5, 2011 at 10:54 | Report abuse |
    • Tom, Long Beach, California

bob is does matter....don't confuse illegality with racism

April 5, 2011 at 12:33 | Report abuse |
    • Daniel

You are asinine.

April 5, 2011 at 13:30 | Report abuse |
  25. Victory or Death

Wait, they have depression when they get there? Anxiety? If that's the issue, why come here? It's their fault, not ours...GOD.
    @great great great great grandson...of an immigrant:
    Guess what, I'm the son of an Immigrant. My mother, her parents and brother had to wait 8 years to come here, then when they got here, my mother was quarantined because she was sick. Then, when they finally let her come ashore, they had to fill out a paper stating that they will not be a burden to the country for the first 5 years or they would be deported. My grandparents paid a LOT of money to get here. So before you make the comments like you did, you better pull that meat out of your butt and think.
    And so what, you're gay...wow...who cares. And you being a soldier, great...I'm glad that as a gay person, you still served your country.

April 5, 2011 at 10:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. K

Maybe they need a study on researchers fear of losing funding. What BS. Are we really willing to go into debt for stupid studies like this one?

April 5, 2011 at 10:55 | Report abuse | Reply
    • K

Why don't they make a study on why I can't lose weight. I only eat 2 donuts in the morning. Not enough to cause me to gain weight.

April 5, 2011 at 10:59 | Report abuse |
  27. Paden

Liberals make me sick! deport the libs right along with the ILLEGALS

April 5, 2011 at 11:00 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. paden

liberals seem to have mental issues as well.

you libs need to be deported with the illegal infiltrators you love so much. losers

April 5, 2011 at 11:02 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Daniel

No... actually this country would benefit tremendously if they got rid of all the haters like you. You guys are absolutely worthless. Supposedly this is a "Christian" nation. I've never known Christians to be so full of hate and vitriol. Deport the right-wing, racist haters.

April 5, 2011 at 13:33 | Report abuse |
  29. Stuart

Who's actually hurting more the country now? The illegal aliens or the Lazy a s s people on unemployment waiting to squeeze every last penny from the government before they get off the couch and start looking for a job. Instead of wasting money on these studies, why don't they spend it on educating "American Citizens" on not to get mortgages that are more than half of their salaries. We are spending more on taxes bailing the banks and Wall street out. Crooks.

April 5, 2011 at 11:24 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Marla

Ha! Well put Stuart.

April 5, 2011 at 11:25 | Report abuse |
    • Mike

You're right Stuart, we should deport all the dead weight dragging this country down. Not just illegal aliens. Thinking about it, those on unemployment are sucking this country dry as well. I don't want to pay taxes for those losers either.

April 5, 2011 at 11:59 | Report abuse |
    • Tom, Long Beach, California

it's simple Stuart.......the ILLRGALS are....we do not have taxes to pay for them.

April 5, 2011 at 12:30 | Report abuse |
    • Marty

@Tom, Long Beach, California
      You are an idiot! And need to get back to school and learn how to spell correctly.

April 5, 2011 at 12:33 | Report abuse |
    • Victory or Death

Stuart: Not every American is being lazy that's on Unemployment. I myself am looking for another job right now because the company I work for is closing. So what, if I collect umemployment, I'm lazy. I paid into unemployment, and if the time comes and I have to use it, I will, because I've paid $300+ a month for the last 11 years.

April 5, 2011 at 12:49 | Report abuse |
    • Susan

@Tom, Long Beach, California
      What? We don't have to pay taxes for unemployed people? Oh my God, I can't stop laughing at you.

April 5, 2011 at 12:54 | Report abuse |
    • Victory or Death

I'm am also gay and a former Marine, I deserve to be on unemployment longer than anyone here.

April 5, 2011 at 12:55 | Report abuse |
    • Mark

@Victory or Death
      Instead of collecting unemployment why don't you work the fields like the illegal immigrants you're trying to deport. There's jobs for everyone. Don't live off the government. You're worse than the illegals. You are a bum.

April 5, 2011 at 12:57 | Report abuse |
    • Lance

@Victory or Death
      It amazes me that you're first recourse is unemployment. Teach you're kids how to fight and live earn a dollar the honest and hard way. Not in loserville line.

April 5, 2011 at 12:58 | Report abuse |
  30. my6cents

Whats the problem here. if they get depressed etc the US taxpayers will just foot the bill for their counselors, pay for their food ,lodging and schooling for their children until they get all better.

April 5, 2011 at 11:51 | Report abuse | Reply
  31. unknown person

Get a life and stop being a critic

April 5, 2011 at 12:07 | Report abuse | Reply
    • unknown person

Or be like me and wear diapers to work.

April 5, 2011 at 12:11 | Report abuse |
  32. Salome

That explains why my ex-husband is such an abuser.

April 5, 2011 at 12:11 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Salome

My husband doesn't like me when I sleep with other women. He gets mad.

April 5, 2011 at 12:13 | Report abuse |
  33. fedupwithillegals

The next time you hear of someone bankrupted by healthcare costs remember all the illegals who got it for free.

April 5, 2011 at 12:25 | Report abuse | Reply
    • fedupwithillegals

And remember all the losers with no jobs too that live here. They should be deported too. No colored folks here.

April 5, 2011 at 13:00 | Report abuse |
    • fedupwithillegals

I too am gay and wear diapers but at least I'm not an illegal alien.

April 5, 2011 at 13:00 | Report abuse |
  34. Rod C. Venger

Talk about misleading. Significant events in a person's life, be it a marriage, a long distance move, a divorce, a death in the family or of a friend, carry an emotional toll. In general, any shrink will tell you that it takes about a year for the mind to adjust to such major changes. Mexican immigrants are no exception to the rule. Question is, why did these researchers choose to single them out?

April 5, 2011 at 12:25 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Rod C. Venger

Why not the colored folks around the lower parts of towns, or the white trash in the trailer parks? That's the real question.

April 5, 2011 at 13:01 | Report abuse |
  35. Robert

"In this study we were not able to directly measure specific types of stressors." I imagine that by "specific types of stressors" he is talking about whether they are here legally or illegally, and it's a pretty poor study if it didn't address this. I imagine that if the study DID differentiate between legal and illegal immigrants, the legal immigrants are probably much happier, less depressed, and experience less anxiety. Depression and anxiety are probably very high among any group of illegal immigrants, whether they're from Mexico or anywhere else.

April 5, 2011 at 12:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. Tom, Long Beach, California

of all the things we need to worry about and take care of in the USA, this is not one of them....simple solution, STAY THERE and be legal

April 5, 2011 at 12:28 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Tom, Long Beach, California

I have a God given right to wear diapers dammit! Leave me alone.

April 5, 2011 at 13:03 | Report abuse |
  37. Eduardo

Of course Mexicans in America are more likely to have mental health problems, or any other kind of health problem for that matter. One of the main reasons they come here is for the free health care. If they're healthy, they don't need to come here for free health care, so they're more likely to stay home in Mexico.

Ever been in an emergency room? I was in one a couple weeks ago. I admit I don't know if they were Mexican, but I know the "patients" on both sides of me spoke no English, only Spanish. It turned out one had heartburn and the other had a cold. The hospital billed my insurance $3000 for about a 2-hour visit. I wonder how much they paid?

April 5, 2011 at 12:39 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Tom, Long Beach, California

@Eduardo
      And you were there because you had something stuck up your rear end. It's people like you that need to be careful when playing with bowling pins.

April 5, 2011 at 13:04 | Report abuse |
    • Cindy

@Eduardo
      They probably paid less than you. It's expensive taking a bowling pin out of your a s s ! hahahaha

April 5, 2011 at 13:07 | Report abuse |
    • Eduardo

Cindy and Tom, maybe you two should hook up... It seems like you both have the same sick perversions... Sorry buy I'm not into that.

April 5, 2011 at 13:24 | Report abuse |
    • Eduardo

I'm more into feet and stockings.

April 5, 2011 at 13:47 | Report abuse |
    • Eduardo

But let's not deviate from the subject here. The problem here is the mexicans and the colored. Get them out of here.

April 5, 2011 at 13:48 | Report abuse |
  38. PennyNot

Great, now they can get mental health benefits too. Lovely.

April 5, 2011 at 12:56 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Roger

@PennyNot
      It's still less expensive than paying for your sorry a s s Alheimer's research.

April 5, 2011 at 13:32 | Report abuse |
  39. B. A.

This is one stupid article. What are they trying to say here? That it's not their fault they're criminally inclined? They were nuts to begin with. Just Mexican "immigrants", huh? I hope my tax dollars did not go into this stupid, erroneous research. Good grief.

April 5, 2011 at 12:56 | Report abuse | Reply
    • John R

@B. A.
      You're tax dollars went to buy a paper clip for all the bankrupt mortgages. hahahaha

April 5, 2011 at 14:36 | Report abuse |
    • John R

April 5, 2011 at 14:38 | Report abuse |
  40. OnTheRoad

So, now we have to provide these poor illegal people 'Free' Mental Health Care! I guess next it will be 'Our' faught that they are having metal problems so they should be allowed to sue us!

April 5, 2011 at 12:57 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Cindy

@OnTheRoad
      If you're momma can sue for diapers, they can sue as well.

April 5, 2011 at 13:08 | Report abuse |
  41. Daniel

Always has to be imbeciles like you who are so full of hate you automatically assume they can even be deported. Get an education and try to live your life with positivity instead of just hating a group of people. You and all the haters like you in the comments section aren't worth the crap under my shoe.

April 5, 2011 at 13:20 | Report abuse | Reply
  42. Ola

The headline is a bit confusing. It makes it seem like there is a genetic trait in Mexican immigrants that makes them more prone to mental illness, however, the contrary is the case. That stress/depression increases the risk of mental illness is no news, and everyone is prone to this, irrespective of ethnic group affiliation.

April 5, 2011 at 13:20 | Report abuse | Reply
  43. PennyNot

I need money for my boobies.

April 5, 2011 at 13:21 | Report abuse | Reply
  44. John R

proud immigrants daughter. We pay sooooo much of our tax money to take care of people like you. Health care, prison to name a few. And you want us to thank you. I think not.
    Here is a question for you to answer. Why can't south american countries take care of them selves?

April 5, 2011 at 13:36 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Eduardo

@John R
      This country can't even take care of itself. What are you talking about? Look at how many "bailouts" we've had in the past 5 years. NONE of them involved illegal immigrants, just stupid Americans that can't keep their jobs or manager their mortgage. Idiot!

April 5, 2011 at 13:52 | Report abuse |
    • John R

I would like more money being spent on how to come out of the closet and have no stress put on you by others. When I came out a few years ago, it was depressed until I found the right guy that I call my husband now.

April 5, 2011 at 13:54 | Report abuse |
  45. Karen

Just what our system needs......more illegals straining the already over crowded mental health care system.

April 5, 2011 at 15:07 | Report abuse | Reply
  46. jj

Mexicans are not the only immigrants. No matter where you migrate from, it is difficult to settle in a new land. Those who do should learn the language and observe the laws of their new home.

April 5, 2011 at 15:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  47. Conrad Shull

I detect funding fishing.

April 5, 2011 at 16:14 | Report abuse | Reply
  48. Cynthia the law graduate

@DNAMY – You're ignorant. I graduated from law school and couldn't find a job for over a year. I suppose it's because I'm lazy not because there were no jobs available. @Most everyone else – The point of this story was to look at the health changes some have once they migrate to the U.S., not to post anger-ladden stereotypes and/or ignorant generalizations.

April 5, 2011 at 17:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  49. Cynthia the law graduate

@DNAMY – You're ignorant. I graduated from law school and couldn't find a job for over a year. I suppose it's because I'm lazy not because there were no jobs available. @Most everyone else – The point of this story was to look at the societial effects some have once they migrate to the U.S., not to post anger-ladden stereotypes and/or ignorant generalizations.

April 5, 2011 at 17:51 | Report abuse | Reply
  50. B652

This article is obviously designed to show the plight if the "migrant", but I am sure that any large group of people moving to a strange country would seem statistically higher for depression. Having served several tours in foreign countries, it is very difficult to navigate in a foreign country where Americans are the minority for all the reasongs stated above. But to say this only happens to Mexican "migrants" is a little absurd.

April 6, 2011 at 06:27 | Report abuse | Reply