home
RSS
March 25th, 2011

This week's quiz: Babies, Liz Taylor's legacy, nuclear disaster and more!

Editor's note: A question regarding the use of sunscreen on babies has been removed. The American Academy of Pediatrics says that on babies under 6 months old, a minimal amount of sunscreen can be applied to small areas - such as the face and the back of the hands - if adequate clothing and shade are not available.

Post by:
Filed under: Health Quiz

1. Kathy

I clicked on the site regarding "How many times should a baby be bathed" and wound up taking the Quiz: Healthy News and Trivia. The quiz was fine, but why did I not locate my initial request. Although it became part of the Quiz, it should have been the prerequisite. Kathy

March 26, 2011 at 08:38 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jeff

False Advertising! For those who come here first the answer to how many time a baby should be bathed is A COUPLE TIMES A WEEK.

March 26, 2011 at 09:22 | Report abuse |
    • Last-Time-Visitor

It has been sometime since I visited such a poorly designed web site. Once I click on a link I should not have to search for what I clicked on...

March 26, 2011 at 12:47 | Report abuse |
    • Shane

Do you people really have nothing better to do than bi*tch about a quiz?

March 26, 2011 at 13:55 | Report abuse |
    • Beavis

This website has always been user unfriendly...

March 26, 2011 at 14:06 | Report abuse |
    • Joanne

I agree.

March 26, 2011 at 16:29 | Report abuse |
  2. Kathy

March 26, 2011 at 08:45 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Barbara

I agree with Kathy. When I click on something of interest I want to BE there, not have to search.

March 26, 2011 at 08:55 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Quincey9

Well, figure it this way; the more pages that they make you go to, the more adverts they can get in your face (adverts = $)

March 26, 2011 at 12:54 | Report abuse |
  4. Heather

thus is annoying...just wanted the featured quiz...

March 26, 2011 at 08:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. lania

False advertising!!! the click is suppose to take you to a quiz of "How many times should a baby be bathed" but it takes you to a quiz of Elizabeth Taylor. CNN should be change their name to Entertainment News Network (ENN)

March 26, 2011 at 09:31 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Alina77

I washed baby's buttocks every evening, but I would give a full bath two times a week.

March 26, 2011 at 09:43 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. donna

It seems that if you have enough time to comment, you had enough time to take a 7 question quiz

March 26, 2011 at 09:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Janet

Thanks Jeff for posting the answer to the question of "How many times a week should a baby be bathed?". My times is short and didn't want to do the quiz first to learn the answer. Thanks again!

March 26, 2011 at 09:57 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. sue

It would be great if the gave the reason for only a couple of times a week compared to some of the other answers. Come on CNN; with such a high google ranking, is it necessary to trick us?

March 26, 2011 at 10:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Katie

Do you really need someone to tell you how often to wash your baby?

March 26, 2011 at 10:12 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. C Holland

Too bad this was not done correctly. What was gained? Going now, but thanks to those who posted the answer as CNN should have done, and then offered the little quiz for those who wanted to take a quiz. Not me!

March 26, 2011 at 10:17 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Claire

Who only washes their kid twice a week? I'm sorry, I don't care what so-called "experts" think, I would feel like a bad mother if I didn't wash my kids every day.

March 26, 2011 at 10:26 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Wildfire21

Agreed! I don't need an expert to tell me to how often to wash my babies/children/grandchildren. Dirty little sweaty bodies in from playing needs a bath. Babies have dirty little tushes too! A newborn gets a spit bath everyday until the cord falls off.

March 26, 2011 at 11:55 | Report abuse |
    • mommy of two

It is NOT good for their skin to bathe daily–way too drying. You don't have to load them up with chemical-containing lotions if you aren't stripping their little bodies of natural oils by giving baths every day. My infant only gets bathed twice a week (and my preschooler 2-3 times a week). I'm not dumb or lazy–just doing what is best for their skin. Do a little research before you judge.

March 26, 2011 at 12:28 | Report abuse |
    • DonnieJ

Washing a newborn daily will dry out its skin. Since they just lay there it is not like they get very dirty or sweaty (unless you are not providing a comfortable environment). Of course you should keep the diaper area clean, but a full bathing every day is not necessary until they are old enogh to actually get dirty.

Do whatever you want, though.

March 26, 2011 at 12:28 | Report abuse |
    • gc

Unless it's hot/humid or baby is dirty from some acticity, MOST people bathe baby only a few times weekly but clean the face, hands and behind daily. More often than that could dry out or irritate delicate skin. This is common sense.

March 26, 2011 at 14:11 | Report abuse |
    • Jane

How often? When they smell–no more no less–every day is silly and will dry out the skin.

March 26, 2011 at 16:47 | Report abuse |
  13. Bo

I got sucked into that one. Still can't figure out what Liz Taylor has to do with bathing a baby.

March 26, 2011 at 10:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. caroline

Let's just say that since a baby's skin is not a moisture producing unit and must be lotioned up quite often that we do it every other day. The buttocks should be washed in the mornings in between since it has slept in all that urine all night.
    Can you imagine how comforting it would feel to be cleaned up after sitting in all that sticky smelly urine.

March 26, 2011 at 10:42 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Tracy

Yes, very frustrating, clicking onto something thats not there, especially when your PC like mine freezes and I have to wait to leave that page.

March 26, 2011 at 10:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. HH

Sitting in urine all night? A newborn's urine is about 98% pure water. So depending on where your tap water comes from, you might be better off wringing the diaper into your morning coffee cup.

March 26, 2011 at 11:14 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. King Kong

Sp, you need to master a quiz to understand if your baby needs a bath?? LOL

March 26, 2011 at 11:18 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Amber

Scam Scam Scam !!! Boooo

March 26, 2011 at 11:21 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. lisa

The link does actually say quiz.

March 26, 2011 at 11:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Constance

Donna, I think you're missing the point.....

March 26, 2011 at 11:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Dee

It states Quiz: How often does baby need bath?

March 26, 2011 at 12:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Trina

CNN health got one of the answers wrong!!!

The correct answer to "At what age can sunscreen be applied to babies?" is newborn, not 6 months.

The American Academy of Pediatrics changed their recommendation last year. They say that you should keep infants out of the sun as much as possible and that clothing should cover as much skin as possible but that sunscreen of at least spf15 should be applied to exposed skin.

Basically, parents are idiots! We followed rules to the letter and didn't apply sunscreen to our delicate infants. Unfortunately, it wasn't possible to completely avoid sun exposure and so babies were winding up with sunburns!! That is much worse than applying a little sunscreen!!! I have seen the sunburns!!!

With my second child, I couldn't avoid being outdoors so I used a moisturizer with spf15 that I had been using on my face around my eyes for years. I knew it was gentle, wouldn't irritate delicate skin and would wash off easily.

March 26, 2011 at 12:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Jennifer

How often do you think you need to bath?? Now think about a baby crapping and peeing his pants all day long?? Geez I think we all know the answer to this one??

March 26, 2011 at 12:33 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Tristan's Mommy

These comments are hilarious! I was curious as to what everyone else does so I took the bait and clicked. (My son has always gotten a bath daily if not out of necessity for hygiene, then for the routine of it so he will when he's older). For those of you complaining about the quiz, the answer is in the quiz. LOL.

March 26, 2011 at 12:52 | Report abuse | Reply
    • gc

:"Hygiene" has different meanings to different people. There is no one size fits all. I think it should be more a matter of common sense. Does your bay look dirty? Smell dirty? Have a skin infection like a diaper rash? Then by all means, bathe the baby. If not and baby looks and is acting like he/she is comfortable, well what can I say? Let sleeping dogs lie. Just bathe twice weekly and clean, face, hands and buttocks daily and that can be accomplished with a clean washcloth.

March 26, 2011 at 14:16 | Report abuse |
  25. Quincey9

I answered "screw Taylor, the stanky a_ _ baby, and the makers of skin care products.

March 26, 2011 at 12:58 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. Barrake Obizzle

Wash yo kid when he poos on his self

March 26, 2011 at 13:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. John

typical CNN. What a bunch of worthless morons.

March 26, 2011 at 13:17 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. KPC

so what is the answer?...how many times should you bathe a baby, can you bathe a baby too much? this is really a total waste of time. I am now changing my homepage.

March 26, 2011 at 13:25 | Report abuse | Reply
  29. peleka

Isn't it sheer common sense when you should bathe your baby?! Sheer common sense people!!!

March 26, 2011 at 14:01 | Report abuse | Reply
  30. peleka

WHATEVER!!!

March 26, 2011 at 14:03 | Report abuse | Reply
  31. YPerez

Do you have an idea how much better a baby feels after you bath him/her? Why not bath him every day to make him fresh and calm? Who ever came up with this nonsense idea of not bathing babies everyday, should be questioned for self hygiene.

March 26, 2011 at 14:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. Patricia

Your quizz is incorrect. The American Association of Pediatricians recently changed the sunblock rule to "newborn". You may apply sunblock to newborns.

March 26, 2011 at 15:22 | Report abuse | Reply
  33. Marjorie

Interesting. I never used sunblock on any of my 5 kids. None of them got sunburned, at least not as infants, toddlers, etc. My 6 sibs & I never used it growing up. I still don't use it. Neither did my parents, grandparents, etc. Somehow we all survived. Why would an infant be out in the sun long enough to get sunburned anyway?

March 26, 2011 at 16:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  34. Katie

This is bad

March 26, 2011 at 16:42 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. Mother of 7

I cant believe mothers are relying on a quiz. Seriously folks. And yes you can wash a baby everyday without drying out the skin. There are plenty of gentle organic lotions you can use as well. 2x a wk? Is that all you bathe?

March 28, 2011 at 06:01 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. zortilo nrel

It’s really a great and helpful piece of info. I’m glad that you just shared this helpful information with us. Please stay us informed like this. Thank you for sharing.

December 18, 2020 at 18:22 | Report abuse | Reply
  37. vreyrolinomit

I think other web site proprietors should take this site as an model, very clean and magnificent user friendly style and design, let alone the content. You're an expert in this topic!

December 31, 2020 at 19:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  38. https://g.page/fokuszpalyazat

Hmm is anyone else experiencing problems with the images on this blog loading? I'm trying to figure out if its a problem on my end or if it's the blog. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

February 9, 2021 at 04:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  39. pc repair

Wohh exactly what I was looking for, thankyou for putting up.

February 21, 2021 at 05:33 | Report abuse | Reply