home
RSS
Pull menthol cigarettes, FDA advisers urge
March 18th, 2011

Pull menthol cigarettes, FDA advisers urge

The availability of menthol-flavored cigarettes is linked to a rise in the number of children and African Americans who smoke and the cigarettes should be taken off the market, an FDA advisory committee said Friday.

The Tobacco Products Scientific Advisory Committee met to evaluate the available science on the impact of menthol cigarettes on public health, including children, African-Americans, Hispanics, and other ethnic and racial minorities. The group determined menthol cigarette smokers do not have a greater risk of diseases related to smoking when compared with non-menthol cigarette smokers. But, menthol in cigarettes increased experimentation, raised the risk of progression to a regular smoker, increased smoking among kids, and their availability increased the chance of addiction–and even the degree of addiction in children.

"The TPSAC also found that the public health impact of menthol cigarette availability is substantial," said Dr. Jonathan Samet, chair of the advisory panel. "The availability of menthol cigarettes leads to an increase in the number of cigarette smokers and the burden of premature mortality."

"The TPSAC's recommendation of removal of menthol cigarettes from the marketplace would benefit public health in the United States is simply that - a committee recommendation based on its review of current, prevailing science on the topic of menthol as an ingredient in cigarettes," said Dr. Lawrence Deyton, director, Center for Tobacco Products at the Food and Drug Administration. The report will be reviewed by experts at the FDA Center for Tobacco Products, who'll also review all of the available science related to public health implications of  menthol in cigarettes use.

According to Deyton, TPSAC's final report must be submitted to the FDA by March 23. He says the agency will then do a thorough review and consider the risks and benefits to determine if regulatory action needs to be taken. The agency will provide its first progress report on the review of the science in approximately 90 days. In the meantime, he says, there will be no effect on the availability of menthol products.

Reynolds American, parent company of RJ Reynolds and maker of a number of menthol-flavored cigarettes including the very popular Kool, Camel and Pall Mall brands, says it plans to continue working with the FDA on this issue.

“The Agency now has input from the Tobacco Product Scientific Advisory Committee (TPSAC), tobacco manufacturers and industry representatives, and from the general public,” said Jeffery S. Gentry, executive vice president of operations and chief scientific officer for R.J. Reynolds. “As the director of the Center for Tobacco Products at FDA said in his remarks today, the TPSAC report does not set FDA policy and it does not set FDA actions. It is information that the Agency will take into consideration in its analysis."

Gentry cautioned a number of issues still need more study, including the potential increase in cigarette smuggling and contraband if menthol cigarettes were no longer on the market.

Lorillard, the country's third largest cigarette manufacturer and maker of Newport, the top selling menthol cigarette in the country said it is confident the FDA will conclude menthol cigarettes are no more dangerous than non-menthol cigarettes and should be regulated no differently. "While we fundamentally disagree, we are not surprised by what we believe is TPSAC's unsubstantiated conclusion relative to the impact of menthol cigarettes on public health," stated Murray S. Kessler, Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer of Lorillard. "Most importantly, TPSAC's report is just the first step in what we believe will be a very long process that ultimately does not result in the removal of menthol cigarettes from the marketplace, especially when contraband and other unintended consequences are seriously considered."

But the recommendations were hailed by the Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids, American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network, American Lung Association and the American Heart Association, who urged the FDA to implement the committee's recommendations. In a joint statement they said: "The committee’s conclusions leave no doubt that menthol cigarettes have had a profound adverse impact on public health in the United States, resulting in more smoking and more death and disease from tobacco use. It also leaves no doubt that the tobacco industry is directly responsible for the harm caused by menthol cigarettes because of its targeted marketing of children and African-American and other communities, and its manipulation of menthol cigarettes to appeal to specific target markets."

1. shel

For those who want to quit, try Chantex. I've smoked for 35/40 yrs. I've tried everything. I'm on my second month smoke free!!!! I'm the one most surprised cause I went into it pretty much knowing it wouldn't work. I took the pills, continued to smoke my brains out. Eventually, smoking tastes so bad you just don't want to do it. So you don't feel deprived like other methods. I just hope I can do it...

March 21, 2011 at 11:15 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. What!

Yea, thats it, menthol is the leading contributor to smoking and its related health problems. And fresh air is the leading cause of heart isease.

March 21, 2011 at 11:53 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. axiom

Nice babbling Mike. I've got evidence to back up my claims. You're just making assumptions. Glad to see you're an expert economist. Lost productivity was already taken into account. Smokers create revenue and save the health care system money. Your ignorance doesn't change anything.

March 21, 2011 at 11:57 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. SAM

And sell more Booze 24/7....That makes sense

March 21, 2011 at 12:17 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Bob

All this coming from an organization that stood back and said nothing while companies like RJ Reynolds and Phillip Morris manipulated the nicotine levels in cigarettes to make their toxic product even more addictive. Just more phony posturing to pretend like they care about us more than corporate payoffs.

March 21, 2011 at 12:31 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Harvey Wallbanger

The reason why the government is coming down on the tobacco companies has nothing to do with our health; it has everything to do with money. They are starting to realize they are spending more for Medicare and Medicaid to treat smoking related diseases than they are collecting in tobacco taxes.

The tobacco and alcohol companies are no different than the Columbia drug cartels. They are all pushing killers. The only difference between them and the cartels is they have enough addicts under their control to ever prevent their products from being abolished. Also, the drug and alcohol companies are smart enough to pay off Uncle Sugar in taxes, allowing them to operate.

March 21, 2011 at 13:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Alicia

I think you are all missing the point. As an ex-smoker, I wanted someone to make it illegal, it's damn hard to quit. But on the other hand, would you like someone to ban fishing, hunting, boating....what's next? This is still America right??

March 21, 2011 at 13:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Kei Yuuki

I say, lets pull the FDA. They are a bigger health threat than Menthol Cigarettes. The FDA is nothing but a corrupt business that are lobbied by large companies to pass products quickly without adequate testing. They need to focus on imported foods from China and Mexico first, but they dont, thats why America is constantly plagued by Poisons and Ecoli every few months.

March 21, 2011 at 14:32 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Joe

Too little to late for that.

March 22, 2011 at 07:05 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. T

Why are they calling out Menthol Cigs? There are plenty of other FLAVORS of cigs available(usually only in tobacco stores not well known to gas stations etc). Plus why does race matter??????

Why isn't there a study on vanilla cigarettes and kids?

March 22, 2011 at 13:59 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Steve

How stupid is it possible to be? The available of menthol cigarettes is a significant health risk? Pulling them from the market will reduce that health risk? How about: the availability of all cigarettes is a very significant health risk. I don't buy the argument. If cigarettes are available at all, then it matters little whether methol cigarattes are available. I just see it as the FDAs attempt to appear if they are doing something, without really jeopardizing the livelyhoods of the tobacco companies.
    If they ban methol cigarettes, tobacco companies will respond with peppermint, spearmint or other flavored cigarettes. Banning menthol could actually make the problem worse by encouraging the introduction of new flavors.

March 22, 2011 at 16:51 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Chad

Big business is the factor here. Money is the be-all and end-all. 'Nuff said.

March 23, 2011 at 07:21 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Dee

ok, let me understand this insanity, ...you want to remove menthol cigarette's because "the elite" think it's bad for our health?? ..Umm, let's talk about allowing carpet glue to be added to the paper of that cigarette. It is a proven fact that burning carpet glue is deadly, yet you allow that. How is this supposed to make sense?

I am educated enoug to know how stupid this whole, "removal of menthol cigarette's" is, ..next the gov will be saying, "well, we determine it to be bad for your health, so now ALL cigarettes will be taken off the market" ..What happened to freedom of CHOICE?? ..I'd like my cig's to taste like they used to. ..you know, ..without the extra chemicals & glue that has been added to them!

March 28, 2011 at 20:17 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. where can i buy iron ingots in skyrim

Nice post.

March 19, 2012 at 08:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Bryon Herta

You really should experience a tournament personally of the finest blogs on-line. I’m going to suggest this website!

December 20, 2020 at 17:33 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. mbLbjk

456494 184249Hello there! Do you know if they make any plugins to protect against hackers? Im kinda paranoid about losing everything Ive worked hard on. Any suggestions? 458705

January 7, 2021 at 01:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Connie Losiewski

When some one searches for his required thing, therefore he/she wants to be available that in detail, thus that thing is maintained over here.

January 18, 2021 at 13:01 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Efren Kamemoto

I would like to point out my passion for your generosity in support of those people who actually need guidance on this important area of interest. Your real commitment to getting the solution along became incredibly valuable and have consistently allowed somebody just like me to achieve their ambitions. Your personal useful guidelines indicates much to me and somewhat more to my colleagues. Regards; from all of us.

January 28, 2021 at 22:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Sasha Horniak

Hi! Do you use Twitter? I'd like to follow you if that would be ok. I'm definitely enjoying your blog and look forward to new updates.

January 29, 2021 at 02:03 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. fish spatula yourfishguide.com

753401 287037I love your wp template, exactly where do you down load it from? 599819

January 31, 2021 at 07:57 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Buy Real Twitter Likes

I love meeting utile information , this post has got me even more info! .

January 31, 2021 at 20:23 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. zortilo nrel

I like the helpful information you supply on your articles. I’ll bookmark your blog and check once more right here regularly. I am somewhat sure I will be informed plenty of new stuff right right here! Good luck for the following!

February 7, 2021 at 05:58 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Europa-Road gépszállítás árak

Way cool, some valid points! I appreciate you making this article available, the rest of the site is also high quality. Have a fun.

February 9, 2021 at 04:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Jackipq

summary in support of TristaTheBarista

now i moving on days nevertheless they are not valued at posting in relation to. One boyfriend charmlive.com review saved me each of us along to the zoo and it also was cool. First day time to start off with been on months so it was angelic forced me to be teeth like a goof. regrettably there's, At this point in time, I solely fully come across the man as a pal (walk add up, here's I properly?) unfortunately any of us yet still speak.

there's always this one human being individual I went out with recording just can't I consider my mind off. I imparted to her I was mystery concerned (simple fact i thought i was, I for instance to self aspects). it is often months and i redownloaded days all of us achieved at(POF) To experience her dad to chat with you being hi there and as a consequence solution your dog was profiting otherwise known as "Gimme another an opportunity as it looks you happen to be something distinct" even so very own finance would be abruptly deleted. It wanted to say he was not within the web for approximately a week well, i doubt he might find the content and I didn't really add more any and all finding out reasons at the message so individuals are trustworthy message did turn up he prob should not grasp it's me.

Idk how to proceed r/tinder close buddies. do i need to send out it a note regarding zynga (his particular report is found inside people today u could perhaps are certain no matter how many times I try to take it off) and require a hazard, A risk associated with us figure out a lot of people to refrain from giving, maybe must just recover from this tool.

i figured I certainly uncomfortable myself in addition to the dog, wheat berry,what is in a another un-welcome period of time, I go on seeking talk on my own earlier mentioned this can, although rattling.

i remember he would leave stop by their own old girlfriend and her thes males for fun on saturday bailed on a date with me at night in helping in nonetheless surely he would you think look at in case reschedule the date shared with I jacob were I curious ever again, he'd a "whatsoever should not ultimately correct" perspective relating to this.

February 21, 2021 at 12:22 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. Linda Fernow

Admiring the hard work you put into your blog and detailed information you offer. It's awesome to come across a blog every once in a while that isn't the same old rehashed material. Excellent read! I've saved your site and I'm adding your RSS feeds to my Google account.

Proxyti.com/buy/200-private-proxies/

March 1, 2021 at 16:51 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. https://topphimhot.net

Best view i have ever seen !

March 3, 2021 at 20:12 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. Leland Kiszka

I am constantly searching online for ideas that can benefit me. Thanks!

March 4, 2021 at 09:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. Jordon Alizadeh

Great – I should certainly pronounce, impressed with your website. I had no trouble navigating through all tabs and related information ended up being truly easy to do to access. I recently found what I hoped for before you know it at all. Reasonably unusual. Is likely to appreciate it for those who add forums or something, site theme . a tones way for your customer to communicate. Nice task.

March 6, 2021 at 14:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  29. Alline Beren

Hiya! I simply would like to give a huge thumbs up for the nice data you will have right here on this post. I will be coming back to your weblog for extra soon.

March 11, 2021 at 10:21 | Report abuse | Reply
  30. zortilo nrel

There is noticeably a bundle to know about this. I assume you made certain nice points in options also.

March 11, 2021 at 11:45 | Report abuse | Reply
  31. zortilo nrel

Saved as a favorite, I really like your blog!

March 21, 2021 at 12:45 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. 마나토끼

903720 452640 Its hard to find knowledgeable men and women on this topic, but you sound like you know what you are talking about! Thanks 216036

March 21, 2021 at 12:57 | Report abuse | Reply
  33. Ivandmo

preventing these kind 3 MistakesWill help you out Win The dating scene

If you are planning on posting your individual page on any of the free online dating internet pages also known as are using this method of writing about this certainly, there will be 3 glitches that you should avoid if you are uniform a little bit looking at doing these matters! could be: relaxing, exaggerating the facts and additionally discussing one self comfortably.

This is common common slipups that women allow when they combined a person's free online dating pages. are usually add facts regularly in their users or bequeath concerns along with that can be important to the men and/or ladies who are looking at this profile. most often the words excessive or disregarded is not truly because essential in the remarkable idea of components; however,though whatever you will not be talking about might create the field of difference to the person who choose you're the "faultless" mate to suit.

something more productive which we will keep you regret in the is almost certainly fueling reality of your life if you end up settling your free internet dating report in a relationship. this can be as simple as saying that you may have been in hdtv adverts when you really haven't been and / or suspend been sliding since you are terrified using height. even though this may not seem like this sizable of a great deal to plenty of people, It is to queue you in at the receiving end when companion learns that overstated about it. to be considered as scamming and as a break the rules of including have faith in.

or maybe that wedding ceremony one, you certainly certainly need to rethink it over it one! there's noreasonwhatsoever to share or place yourself off of without any reason when you are building up that a majority of free internet dating shape. sometimes it is as bad as outright laying about your summary and therefore really does you ' the legal rrn any way. right after meet your skin affordable, All your are doing is normally showing others who might be curious about you that you will do not have lots of your confident outlook or maybe a which team you really are. which is a bad one whichever, perhaps you may just discover youself to be getting someone that is an individual and/or abuser this fashion.

This is miscalculation that humans have made whenever placing their specific free internetdating page; And the key reason that they have done this is to help make herself peek best to certain people. one more reason why that it's done this way is very simple: physical exercises loathe the direction they in the shop or the actual imagery ture of them selves. This is a second miscalculation that does indeed not as well as actual some rights in both the short term and the long run. for those who released an older video philippine women on you and your family, this will cause a little confusion and stress for those who two are tailored to in the flesh; As they'll not understand that figuring out you glanced subsequently, Not together do appropriate now.

March 29, 2021 at 02:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  34. Gorgeousujq

discover astrology completely love horoscopes day by day 2012 reports designed

displaying 1 15 Five why You to Read Love HoroscopesWhen talking about continuing true love in, the particular crucial you utilize almost all the resources open to you. currently the are fond of horoscopes are one mature asian women pics very cherished alternative. you could be skeptical behind digesting fall in love with astrological readings. but rather have a weakness for astrological readings go a long way. Both warning signs exist lively also bold, And you can get proper saturated energy with shod and non-shod. amazingly attractive, convinced and as well as particularly likes to show off their loved ones. They know exactly what they really want using their company passion and existing and are keen and powerful most typically associated with uncovering items. now, romance complete with Aries young ladies, You need to keep a little part of mind. They have grown good to or their loved ones, excellent as well as group companies with regard to family relationships. post show you how to get a cancer lovely women. them to always have an abundance to try to to in concert and as well to speak about. if they assemble, the amount of time should certainly rise by using and additionally they you should never at a loss of sayings. regarding systems commenced as of late regarding and family relationships are service company and therefore support continue to change in that position. emotions and thoughts most typically associated with acquaintance and romance really are higher than average and it very visible we ought to also back anyone. very much new also personally dependent she can be frequently an encouragement to many other brides. He loves serious businesses individuals and in addition being in the center of attention. without delay catches resentful a result of slowness over other consumers. are enchanting in addition emotionally charged, currently is unable to consider the feelings to some people. It factual that to date following a Virgo lovely lady certainly not a pretty simple job. but yet have on care. continue reading to know above date a Virgo girl and complement to your lady hopes. this is because a Taurus female patient is one of the popular more pleasing pregnant women you occasion to found. we shall give you a certain amount of pertaining to social possessing a Taurus lady. we are going to give you selected stategies to date by the Gemini ladies. it can be bear in mind ones own 2011 horoscopes, Monthly astrological readings, Weekly horoscopes and as well,as well as the matches for your ex. so now there are also prediction somewhere around 2012 astrological readings.

March 31, 2021 at 03:38 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. Mozelle

An intriguing discussion іs worth comment. Ι think tһat y᧐u ѕhould publish mогe on tһis issue, іt might not be
    a taboo subject ƅut ᥙsually folks ⅾon't talk aƅoսt such issues.
    Тo tһe neҳt! Mɑny thankѕ!!

Hегe iѕ my paցe – bandarq (Mozelle)

April 14, 2021 at 01:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. Billamz

understanding for Kentucky

I don think they gotta have a reason at all. I just got banned from the newest sub. Probably because a mod simply disagreed in what I said and/or they were having a bad day. That definitely seems to be one of the only two reasons I get banned.

The other reason is company is trolling me. Usually if I clap back in self defense, I which one gets banned. considering that, proceed by, my partner and i. So if merely obvious trolls, freezing block them.

I honestly lost respect for Reddit over my time working with it. I always think it is a place for free discussion so people could learn from one another but nope. The ego hungry thought police (never assume all mods, effortlessly. But unmistakably some) And trolls completely ruin the experience. understanding that, Honestly boils down to people being overly sensitive to opinions other than their own. I guess [url=https://www.bestbrides.net/seniorpeoplemeet-review-because-it-is-never-too-late-to-find-love/]seniorpeoplemeet.com review[/url] these people just want echo Chambers to reaffirm whatever preconceived notions/agendas they held when they initially joined. And they'll not rest until Reddit fits that very description, lmao.

Just maintain a healthy bodyweight, Don be nutty, Have things going for you other than your image, And be very easy. And first and foremost, Make sure your specifications are realistic. I noticed that if a woman can meet a guy it usually because nobody "good enough,

Anything beyond that just may seem like fluff to me. Just look up online dating service statistics (Tinder Sankey images and the OkCupid study). Men aren nearly as picky as women are so women get attention way more easily. it is therefore generally only a matter of time for women.

For guys the main issue is usually getting manual intervention at all and not being completely invisible. The simple fact that groups like this exist (doing this sub, PUA, Red capsule, in addition to.) Is proof of how much of a massive pain in the ass dating can be for guys. I think nearl all females are totally oblivious to this fact.

April 19, 2021 at 01:02 | Report abuse | Reply
  37. covid19

13046 658148This really is such a terrific resource that youre offering and you give out at no cost. I appreciate seeing web sites that realize the worth of offering a perfect beneficial resource completely free. I genuinely loved reading your submit. 435731

April 19, 2021 at 20:34 | Report abuse | Reply
  38. Tunghvc

Dating Goes Back to the time to come

In a world where men and women often hang out with their BlackBerrys and iPhones than they do with other each other, The longing for shared experiences and one on one interaction has become palpable. based on Mary Vallone, President of Highlife ventures,An upscale social afrointroductions member login club for singles in Chicago and indiana, the vast majority of true when it comes to dating. "Men and women are stepping out from the anonymity of the internet dating world and reclaiming their lives, Vallone utters. "Today s singles not only want to meet individuals who share their interests, But they also want to share real activities with like minded potential mates,for few singles, This trend toward group physical activities based on common interests breaks new ground in the dating arena. "in a way, We re rediscovering the reassurance of the future, reads Vallone. "It s as the ice cream social of the early 20th century has been kicked up several notches,without a doubt, Highlife travels 3,000 Chicagoland members would be challenged to find an ice cream social among the over 65 activities planned each month. Those who crave adventure can go parasailing, Caving, Or know-how being a fighter pilot for a day. Music aficionados can revel in a hot night of cool jazz or attend a rock star fantasy camp, While those with cultural interests can attend a performance of the Chicago Symphony or a frank lloyd wright tour. Members who enjoy the club scene can take part in a trolley pub crawl, A moonlight party trip on a ship, Or instances like "Martinis as well as,while Manicures" perhaps "Pots n Shots art Class,Vallone explains that Highlife ventures approach serves to bring people together in a pressure free setting. "after you attend an event, You re meeting people you have already got something in common with and who are all there to meet you, she says. "as well as, When you re having a good time, You let your guard down and will probably meet the right person,This new dating trend is in stark vary to the bar scene of the 1980s, The one-to-one matching services of the 1990s, And the speed dating phenomena that peaked a short while ago. "Not all singles like to have fun in bars, Many don t care for the pressure of sequential one on one dates, And most people find that speed dating is too shallow, light,light, relates Vallone. to, While online dating site may appeal to the college crowd, a lot of 25 to 45 year olds in Highlife Adventures membership have "already been through it, Done the fact that, to be able to Vallone, "being able to meet people online can be fun, But also fraught with pitfalls. Singles have a happier ending when they put down the mouse, Get out of the home, And meet people face to face,Highlife Adventures helps ensure their members experiences are positive by prescreening potential members in person and having a company adviser at each event. inevitably, Vallone proves, "We don t fixture anyone.

April 29, 2021 at 00:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  39. Tungqfq

online dating services

quite possible, contact with an online stranger will lead to nothing but a big letdown. Such is the reality in the relatively recent phenomenon of online dating. the method of seeking a mate online harks back to the mid 90's, When online was in its nascent form loveme com login in terms of widespread consumer use. The business is now a massive conglomerate, Sporting about one million paying readers from fully 246 countries. By some accounts even more than 60,000 new people across six continents join up on the website every day, blending the 15 million people already there. You simply can't put much credence in what you see and read in a given dating profile because it is far too easy for a person to untruthfully present themselves. Cheating to gain a benefit, specially when seeking a mate, may perhaps be as old as humanity itself. Despite huge problems as a conversation medium, Literally tons of people around the globe are signing up each and every day. (The Sugar Daddy way)Free personals of swinger couple datingFlirting with Married WomenReading Body Language7 Tips For Dating Older WomanThings to do on a dateGay Dating and LifestyleWhat Every Woman should be aware of About Men and Why Some Men Are Interesting Part 2New to Lesbian Sex Dating?Flowers dialect.

May 5, 2021 at 23:05 | Report abuse | Reply
  40. stornobrzinol

Hello there, just became alert to your blog through Google, and found that it's really informative. I’m gonna watch out for brussels. I will be grateful if you continue this in future. Lots of people will be benefited from your writing. Cheers!

May 13, 2021 at 12:27 | Report abuse | Reply