home
RSS
Depressed dads more likely to spank
March 14th, 2011

Depressed dads more likely to spank

Lots of information has been collected on the effects of depressed moms on their children, but very little on sad dads. Now a study published in the current issue of Pediatrics finds that fathers who suffer from depression are more likely to hit their children than fathers who are not depressed.

Researchers looked at a group of 1,700 fathers of 1-year-old children. They found 7 percent of the men had a diagnosis of  depression. Compared with non-depressed dads, fathers who suffered from depression were nearly four times more likely to report spanking their child and less likely to be involved in day-to-day parent/child activities, such as reading a book. Surprisingly, the most depressed fathers, along with non-depressed dads, reported regularly playing games and singing and talking to their kids. Researchers say this suggests that these activities may be more routine behaviors for fathers than reading.

But there is room for communication. Authors of the research say, because 77 percent of the depressed fathers in the study reported talking to their child’s pediatrician, visits to the little ones’ doctors may provide an excellent opportunity for physicians to discuss parenting habits with fathers and refer any depressed dad for appropriate treatment, if necessary.

"Fathers' active roles in families and their mental health clearly influence child development and well being," the study states. "The field of pediatrics is now faced with finding ways to support fathers in their parenting roles much in the same way we support mothers."

1. PoodleSweat

I guess all men from the dawn of time up until the eighties were all depressed.

March 14, 2011 at 13:55 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Craig Shearer

Bullying is atan all time high, thanks to a lack of wooden paddle in the Principal's Office. There are no consequences anymore. Kids laugh while sitting in the principal's office.

March 14, 2011 at 19:07 | Report abuse |
    • Purnell

Criag Shearer You knucklehead – bullying is not at an all time high – coverage of it is. When I was in grade school there was so much physical intimidation it was ridiculous. Kids today seldom resort to fists.
      Poodlesweat – witty but hitting kids is stupid – I never did it – never even yelled at my daughter and only yelled once or twice at my son. They're both great people (18 and 19.)

March 14, 2011 at 19:25 | Report abuse |
    • wisdom4u2

@ Purnell

Let's ask your kids what they think of you; I'm sure it won't be "He's a 'great' person" after reading your comments!
      You really don't know what kind of parent you were until you see your kids as parents!!

March 14, 2011 at 19:41 | Report abuse |
    • Bob

Punishment, i.e., paddling is not effective in terms of having children grow into fully effective adults. It should be outlawed nation wide because of the harm it does. Unfortunately, most people do not have the wherewithal to study what research has shown. These people listen to preachers and the Glenn Becks of the world and think that that is enough. Well, it's not enough. You need to study, study and study some more. If you don't then I don't think you have a right to your opinion – at least you have no right to spout it out like the Glenn Beck fans do.

March 14, 2011 at 20:07 | Report abuse |
    • Dawgie Style

What about da beetches?

March 14, 2011 at 21:04 | Report abuse |
    • Michelle

I would love to know exactly who they studied because my husband suffers from depression and he would never lay a hand on our child. Also, just because someone suffers from depression doesn't mean that they don't interact with their child or children. My husband gives our daughter constant attention. I really hate articles that give depressed fathers a bad name.

March 14, 2011 at 21:25 | Report abuse |
    • Dane

Yeah; but mom's murder their kids and eat pizza.

March 14, 2011 at 22:51 | Report abuse |
    • JcReliever

That's when the liberals took the controls of parenting. It's no wonder they're depressed.

March 14, 2011 at 23:13 | Report abuse |
    • JcReliever

"Bob" is on drugs or just a leftist who does not realize reality. Go back to your hole Bob, you and your kind have all but ruined this country.

March 14, 2011 at 23:15 | Report abuse |
    • Nunya

JC is nothing but a depressed worthless troll trying to pander opinion as wisdom.....get a life basement dweller....

March 15, 2011 at 00:02 | Report abuse |
    • Shawn

We need more depressed dads.

March 15, 2011 at 00:58 | Report abuse |
    • LD

Quote: Purnell "Criag Shearer You knucklehead – bullying is not at an all time high – coverage of it is."

Bingo!

March 15, 2011 at 03:23 | Report abuse |
  2. Dave

Yawn. This is probably just some more false ridiculous male bashing “statistics” from a feminist study designed to wrongly show that mothers are better parents than fathers. Mothers can be equally if not more abusive. Just look around and see the facts.

March 14, 2011 at 14:41 | Report abuse | Reply
    • LEB

How is this male bashing? A rare article focusing on the struggles some fathers face in parenthood is male bashing? There have been a gazillion articles about the affects of a depressed mom on her child-rearing abilities (I won't even get into all the ones that come up with various and endless claims about how kids are traumatized when moms work). These articles aren't designed to condemn, they're intended to inform and hopefully encourage healing. Depression is all to often under-recognized and under-diagnosed in men, and depression doesn't just rob you of your own happiness, but also healthy relationships with others, including your family.

March 14, 2011 at 18:12 | Report abuse |
    • ???

The study doesn't compare women to men. It compares depressed men to non-depressed men.

March 14, 2011 at 19:03 | Report abuse |
    • Dboy66

I would say both my parents were about equally abusive, but at different times. I hate them both now...so that's a warning to parents reading this. Do you want your kids to hate you forever? Cuz I will never forgive.

March 15, 2011 at 01:29 | Report abuse |
    • areyoujoking

Right on man... More women commit child abuse than men & yet we have this article painting men as abusers. Men aren't going to put up with this crap forever.

March 15, 2011 at 02:51 | Report abuse |
    • Just me

You seem to be feeling very insecure and defensive aren't you Dave?

March 15, 2011 at 06:55 | Report abuse |
    • verch

New rule: Nobody say anything bad about men. If you do you are a male basher.

March 15, 2011 at 07:36 | Report abuse |
    • Doug

So , what you are saying is your depressed azz is better that that low life you chose to have children with.. Hmmm, you both are what make America suck !

March 15, 2011 at 08:17 | Report abuse |
  3. RichP, easton, pa

Possible, I know when I was between contracts and stayed home watching my two kids for a month one time and two months a couple of years later I tended to have a shorter fuse than normal.

March 14, 2011 at 15:13 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Its true

Thank you for your honesty. I don't see it as depression – it is stress. And this article could do better to make it less male biased.

March 14, 2011 at 20:24 | Report abuse |
  4. Charles in Charge

Maybe these dads are depressed because their kids are so rotten? Causality is indeterminant in cross-sectional studies.

March 14, 2011 at 15:27 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jason

"kids are rotten" says someone without kids *rolleyes* thanks for that, Einstein

March 14, 2011 at 18:33 | Report abuse |
    • FlyGuyInSJ

@Jason

How do you know CiC doesn't have kids? I have 3 school-age kids, and I can tell you for certain that all of their classmates are rotten some of the time (as are they), and some of the classmates are rotten most or all of the time.

March 14, 2011 at 20:09 | Report abuse |
  5. Tricky

This is the most stupid article to date. It's called discipline!!! That's why you have a nation of out of control kids now! All this 'time out' and go stand in the corner crap is for the birds. And they wonder why there are so many disrespectful brats and whining **ssies.

March 14, 2011 at 15:35 | Report abuse | Reply
    • LEB

And precisely how do you discipline a 1 year old?

March 14, 2011 at 18:13 | Report abuse |
    • No excuse

Hitting a 1 year old??? really.Are you stupid ??

March 14, 2011 at 19:32 | Report abuse |
    • donovan

You don't hit a 1 year old! You go outside and smoke cigarettes and each junk food!

March 14, 2011 at 20:01 | Report abuse |
    • Alan

Yes, when 1 year old does something stupid they deserve a swat (swat, not beat) and a sharp word. Pain is the best teacher. That is unless you think saying "no" in a googey voice will teach a 1 year old not to stick things in electric sockets, grab the tail of the family dog really hard, or my personal favorite gnawing on the furniture (I think my wife cheated on me with a squirell).

March 14, 2011 at 21:12 | Report abuse |
    • Ciizen

Well said

March 14, 2011 at 23:42 | Report abuse |
    • Nunya

Violence begets violence. When you hit a child, you teach them that physical violence solves problems....I gather your father beat you repeatedly.....You deal with your shortcomings in your own manner, but please don't poison the rest of the world with your idiocy....

March 15, 2011 at 00:08 | Report abuse |
    • Nunya

@Alan.....sounds like you live in a "cabin, on a hill in Butcher Holler".......say no with conviction next time moron...

March 15, 2011 at 00:10 | Report abuse |
  6. Casey

Hmm, yes. Causation is not proven. And I suspect that, were I a father who was unable to have contact with my child's pediatrician (as in the case of much divorce), I'd be depressed too. Add to that, women can be vindictive (I should know, being one); and in the case of a nasty custody battle Mommy can tell child that Daddy is horrible, causing child to act up when (and if) they get to see Daddy. My causality is further proven in these few sentences than any in the article above.

Oh yeah. Spare the rod, spoil the child. No wonder kids think the world belongs to them now.

March 14, 2011 at 15:59 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Patrick Lewis

The world does belong to them at least as much as it belongs to you. They are your children not property. And who hits a one year old anyway? Yes, I do have a child, and at one it's just like beating a pillow for all the good it does. Kids can't absorb that kind of thing until they are able to understand why they are being punished.

March 15, 2011 at 07:40 | Report abuse |
  7. Burns

So much idiocy here.... (I mean the replies not the article).

March 14, 2011 at 17:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Jujubeans

duh! Depression = short fuse

March 14, 2011 at 17:12 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. angry troll

can i just ask all y'all why, wether depressed or not, anyone would hurt their kids? We're supposed to love our children, right? We're taught that violence isnt a good answer to anything. So why do so many of us just not have enough self control/patience? I know everyone's fuse can burn down sometimes, but when it happens all the time something is wrong. Is it really 'cause we're depressed, or is that just a cop out?

March 14, 2011 at 17:38 | Report abuse | Reply
    • NA

Are we really taught that violence isn't a good answer? Men are taught to be "strong and macho," at least socially speaking, and in terms of popular culture it's perfectly acceptable (for example) a father/brother to threaten a woman's boyfriend/fiance/new spouse with violence "should you hurt my daughter/sister." And we're also shown (again in pop culture, and in practice) that it's perfectly fine/adorable for a woman to smack/slap her boyfriend/spouse. It's excused as playful, and it's thought of as OK since women are "physically weaker" than men. But how long before the "playful swatting" become actual beating, strongly hitting the head with a stiletto heel?

March 14, 2011 at 19:45 | Report abuse |
    • Cynic

You say: "We're taught that violence isnt a good answer to anything." I disagree. Look at the violence on TV and in the movies. Our government commits violence all the time - against its own citizens (the police) and against the citizens of other countries (the military). Violence is the action of choice for those who exercise power over others. Should we be surprised, then, when the mighty are violent toward the defenseless? There is a better way, but violence is easier than persuasion and reason, which require self-control and a brain.

March 15, 2011 at 09:21 | Report abuse |
  10. T3chsupport

Hey, you guys realize that they were talking about the fathers of ONE YEAR OLD BABIES, right? Not kids? Babies, who are literally incapable of realizing cause and effect?

It's not discipline if you aren't teaching anything. And at 1, the only thing you'd be teaching that baby is that daddy hits.
    I'm all for tanning the hide of the most unruly youngsters, once they reach an age in which they can understand why it's happening, and use that information to avoid the situation in the future, but 1 year old is not old enough to even begin to form an understanding of that. Anyone who hits a one year old just because they're angry at them should be hit by a bus. Go hit yourself if you're such a violent d!ck.

March 14, 2011 at 18:00 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Burbank

Anyone that would hit their one year old should be forcibly sterilized so they can't breed more children to abuse. We are overpopulated, time for people to really, REALLY think it over before having children. People that are beating infants are not in that category.

March 14, 2011 at 18:27 | Report abuse |
    • FB

I do not believe that one year olds are incapable of realizing cause and effect. First of all, it would be good to distinguish between a 12 month old and a 22 month old, as the latter would be much more developed than the former.

That said, my daughter climbed out of her crib when she was about a year and a half old and fell on the floor. Thankfully she wasn't seriously hurt, but it obviously hurt when she did it, and she cried for a few minutes. In days and weeks prior to this, she had been trying to climb out, so I adjusted the crib so that the bed was as low as possible, making it harder for her to climb up the side of it and get her leg over. She still found a way. But after she fell, she stopped trying to climb out. From around the corner, I would watch her start to lift her leg, then stop, and cry for me. It was clearly obvious that she knew what would happen if she climbed out.

This is just the most blatant example, but the idea that a one year old can't recognize a situation and respond accordingly is - I think - not true. And I'm sure there's research that suggests otherwise, but research is rarely conclusive.

March 14, 2011 at 18:46 | Report abuse |
    • Mike

T3chsupport you are right on! How can anyone think of hitting a 1 year old? I am all for tannin the hide of the older ones though. My dad tanned me and it is sad dads no longer do this!

March 14, 2011 at 23:02 | Report abuse |
  11. Robert

Yes, when I hear from my kids teacher he was misbehaving in class or when he behaves very badly I get really depressed.

March 14, 2011 at 18:23 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Cat MacLeod

We don't need antidepressants....WE NEED JOBS.

March 14, 2011 at 18:26 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Purnell

Damn if you ain't right, Bro.

March 14, 2011 at 19:26 | Report abuse |
  13. AesopsRetreat com

It appears that Uncaring Parents fail to adequately punish their children properly. Half our prisons are filled with people who were never learned of punishment or told Right from Wrong, the other half are from brutal parents. Those who engage in Corporal punishment (the middle) reep the most successful children. IT A FACT...!

March 14, 2011 at 18:42 | Report abuse | Reply
    • No excuse

SURE BEAT THEM INTO SUBMISSION.HITTING OTHERS IS NOT ALLOWED NOR WORKS.I BET YOU HIT YOUR BOSS? OR WIFE? OR MAYBE THE MAIL MAN.UNREAL THE REDNECKS BEST PARENT TECHNICS ARE TO HIT,UMM ME BE CAVE MAN AN GONNA HIT THEM.DUMB REDNECKS.

March 14, 2011 at 19:30 | Report abuse |
  14. bobster26

Sherif Andy Taylor: Try this on for size, show your kid right from wrong/ Interist your child with comm-in scense. with love . It will go a long way through out their life time.

March 14, 2011 at 19:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. wisdom4u2

Why the Censoring????

March 14, 2011 at 19:17 | Report abuse | Reply
    • wisdom4u2

Oh, I forgot that if CNN doesn't agree with your comment it won't get posted!! Who gives a rat's butt??

March 14, 2011 at 19:19 | Report abuse |
    • wisdom4u2

CNN is about the most bias damn news jerks ever!!

March 14, 2011 at 19:21 | Report abuse |
    • Purnell

Dal burn it – don't you know computers don't always work. Why the paranoia. CNN doesn't care about your opinion – and if all you can do is whine about imaginary censorship, I don't either.

March 14, 2011 at 19:28 | Report abuse |
    • wisdom4u2

@ purnell (?)
      Right!! How long have you worked for CNN?? U Stupid Flunky!!!
      : )

March 14, 2011 at 19:32 | Report abuse |
  16. TDC 'Tucky

Maybe since the dawn of the "Dr Spock" generation. Back in the day gettin a whoopin for bein bad was the norm. Kids nowadays are spoiled rotten compared to kids from the 50's. Excluding my kids and grandkids, and prolly some others. General statement made by the Husband of a Pre-K teacher who deals with spoiled little monsters every day (she does, I just hear the horror stories)

March 14, 2011 at 19:22 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. No excuse

NO EXCUSE TO HIT A CHILD.I CAN'T HIT YOU NOR CAN YOU HIT ME.WHEN YOUR KID HITS ANOTHER CHILD BECAUSE THERE MAD.THERE DOING WHAT YOU DID AND TAUGHT THEM.USE YOUR BRAINS DUMMY.

March 14, 2011 at 19:27 | Report abuse | Reply
    • billy

I "can" hit you but I "may" not. Subtle difference.

I would never "hit" my child as hard as I would "hit" you.

Use your brain...

March 14, 2011 at 22:01 | Report abuse |
  18. andy

one kid in the military. 3 in college. 3 primary education system. wife got laid off. job not very secure due to outsourcing. medical bills up the ying-yang.....
    Depressed? probably. Hit the kids? no.
    The kids are the depression relief. grown ones well behaved, never in trouble, financially independent.
    Something else is missing in this story because I don't see the relation.

March 14, 2011 at 19:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. iceman

BUT MOM'S FOR SOME REASON LIKE TO DRIVE CARS INTO LAKES WITH THE KIDS STRAPPED IN, DROWN THEM IN THE BATHTUB, OH AND SHOOT THEM IN THE HEAD IN THEIR BEDROOMS AND IN THE WAITING MINIVAN!!!!

March 14, 2011 at 19:37 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Charles

Right on Iceman . . . and they go as far as to shoot their pastor husbands in the back while their children watch.

March 15, 2011 at 00:04 | Report abuse |
  20. Johnnyboy

First of all, any parent who hits a 1 year old should be locked up; I have 3 adult children and the thought of striking them at that age is incomprehensible. Second of all, 'Depression' what is it? I think depression is pure BS, just another thing cooked up by the damned Pharmaceutical companies to get big bucks. All these fancy names and acronyms they come up with is BS. When we had breathing problems, that's what it was, breathing Problems or in worst cases Asthma. Now it's COPD – Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder, so the drug companies can up with another pill. Its all BS today and the worst part is most of the stupid general population believes it. I got one I just made up: CRAP – Chronic Retentive Anal Pruriitis In my day, that meant your butthole itched!

March 14, 2011 at 19:54 | Report abuse | Reply
    • K

The only idiots who say depression is BS are those who have never experienced it or never known someone who experienced it. But I agree that a parent who hits a one year old should be locked up; depression as an EXCUSE for that kind of behavior is, indeed, BS.

March 14, 2011 at 20:28 | Report abuse |
  21. CPA41

Perhaps the men who are depressed and hit their kids are depressed because their fathers hit them – and that's all they know about how to disciplinechildren.

March 14, 2011 at 20:07 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Its true

Its not depression. It is STRESS. And stress leads to short fuses.

March 14, 2011 at 20:21 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. oldguy

...what about among STUPID dads?

March 14, 2011 at 20:21 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Jerome

Don't buy into anything and please don't take anything out on your children. God bless you.

March 14, 2011 at 20:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. Frank

Depressed Dads do hit more. Dats all.
    'Nuff said.

March 14, 2011 at 20:52 | Report abuse | Reply
    • John

So do depressed mom's, uncles, aunts, friends and other loved ones, Duh!

March 15, 2011 at 02:14 | Report abuse |
  26. Tony

Dads must never, ever forget to love not only others but themselves as well.

Sometimes dads are facing egotistic spouses, children and social circles.

Only the love that a dad has for himself (or is to himself?) in such a situation will help him make sense of it.

March 14, 2011 at 20:52 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. Bankmageddon

A brand new study is about to find that men AND women who have been "skrewed" by bankers are much more likely to beat a banker to death.

March 14, 2011 at 21:07 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. Grob Hahn

Once children reach an age where they can be reasoned with the beatings should stop with only a few exceptions, such as willfully injuring a sibling. Beating your children when you are angry or depressed will only serve to alienate them more. If you are grooming your children to care for you some day, beating them might not produce the "results" you think. Beatings do not improve character and they do not instill respect. They only cause fear and resentment once children reach verbal communication. Prior to that, it might be the only way to keep a child from sticking a tool into an electrical outlet.
    Grobbbbbbbbbb

March 14, 2011 at 21:12 | Report abuse | Reply
  29. justin

Johnny boy- you are incredibly wrong. To say that there is the classification of COPD is the "pharmaceutical company" trying to make a buck is laughable. COPD is 5 different diseases in one, grouped together because they all have similar symptoms and are treated relatively similar. The thing about medicine is the more technology we get the more advanced we get in treating and recognizing diseases. How would you like a diagnosis of "breathing problems". I am a respiratory therapist so I should know.

March 14, 2011 at 21:36 | Report abuse | Reply
  30. Guest

Imagine that! Finally, a story where mom's don't end up looking like the bad guys.

March 14, 2011 at 21:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  31. Andrea

Anyone who thinks that hitting a little kid will train them not to do dangerous things needs to reconsider. A swat may prevent them from doing something unfortunate once in a while, but it is by no means fool-proof–kids can and do forget, no much how much pain someone may apply. It's a parent's job to keep little kids out of dangerous situations–not a little kid with an immature brain's job to remember all parental instructions (swat-terminated or not) and follow them to a tee.

Put covers over the electrical outlets. Remove dangerous items and things you don't want damaged from areas that little ones frequent. Hold toddlers hands when they do their toddling near cars. Not only will this keep your kids safer, but really–won't it feel much better not to be hitting someone you love? (If you're depressed, get a punching bag)

March 14, 2011 at 21:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. Donald

It is about time that someone recognize the Father connection and the effect that mental illness has upon it. Years after my childhood I found out that my Father had borderline personality disorder, was aware of it even and never sought help for it. So it is more than just directing the Father to seek treatment it is knowing that he is receiving treatment. Needless to say there were family problems, emotional abuse some physical abuse etc. As a depressed Father of a 3 year old I cannot express how important it is to receive treatment for mental illness.

As for the condition itself not many people truly understand how horrible something like depression is. To be aware that you are not doing enough and finding it almost impossible to change that. To not be able to bring yourself to read a book to your child everyday is horrible. Anger, irritability, short term memory loss and numerous other such problems that go hand in hand with depression really make proper parenting difficult. A lot of people think that people with depression are just bailing out on life for no good reason and nothing could be further from the truth. It really takes monstrous effort to function when your brain is not functioning 100% and I would not wish mental illness on my greatest enemy.

March 14, 2011 at 23:33 | Report abuse | Reply
  33. Charles

What another cheap shot against Dads. Well . . . I guess it's better than depressed woman who just drown their children in bathtubs.

March 15, 2011 at 00:00 | Report abuse | Reply
  34. Justice Bird

You know who has never slapped a kid? Justicebird.com

March 15, 2011 at 00:02 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. anondale

Not true at all. The depression factor comes in waves just as amount of 100% teen-bodily drunks come in my neighborhood to vicariously stun the residential population (as suppose to consumer population). Also to absurdly take on the ally's and make a default of any volatile situation without a solution. Most violence comes from the drink itself be that wine or beer or hard liquor ever since the age of yore and riots. Back in 2004-05 nearly half a dozen emergencies were the result of gunfire in one of my neighboring road arteries in a high pitched liquor sale red light district. Don't quote this but it's too bad it takes one to chew at the other all for the end results if not.. for a better living.

March 15, 2011 at 00:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. Nunya

I have raised 2 children, 1 girl 18, 1 boy 14. Both get straight A's and B's with an occasional but rare C. I have never, not once had to lay a single hand on either child. I have punished and taught lessons all with the "INFLECTION" of my voice, and the example of my actions. If you feel you need to strike another human, years younger than yourself, who looks to you for an example of parenthood, just to "discipline" them, then you had some really sh!tty parents who knew ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about raising well adjusted, contributing members of society. Your parents just suck and that is your root issue....

March 15, 2011 at 00:19 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Lanfear

Is your last name "business" ?

March 15, 2011 at 01:15 | Report abuse |
    • frontgate

what an idiot you are
      shut your pie hole

March 15, 2011 at 01:20 | Report abuse |
    • Dboy66

I had physical and emotional abusive parents....and they were fanatical christians. And yes it completely messed me up....permanently. Please don't abuse your kids.

March 15, 2011 at 01:26 | Report abuse |
    • John

G-d forbid, Dboy- that you were an emotionally and physically abusive son – because that never happens ever, right? I suggest. You get some help and stop blaming others for your problems, cause I know you are a utterly rotten soul.

March 15, 2011 at 01:58 | Report abuse |
    • John

Your ignorant answer based on the raising of two children is ignorant – period. You have no training in children's mental health, you never had a child with a mental disorder and you should be quiet until you get some experience.

March 15, 2011 at 02:05 | Report abuse |
    • sarah

dboy–

(you may already know this, but it is worth mentioning...)

john might not be aware of it, but your openness about your childhood experience is touching upon the deep shame he carries regarding his own upbringing and his resultant parenting skills/insecurity in is ability to be a good father. you'll find a lot of people will react to your openness in this way for these reasons. it is really important to protect yourself from people like this–don't listen to them–they are trying to use you to protect their own abusers and their own abusive behaviour.

good luck on your journey. yours, too, john.

sarah

March 15, 2011 at 03:55 | Report abuse |
  37. HRPuckinfutz

Wow, another study that concludes with the obvious. I wonder how much money was wasted on this.

March 15, 2011 at 00:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  38. Dpressed

Hey, it's not the rug rat's fault! It's the Ol' lady who needs the whuppin

March 15, 2011 at 01:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  39. frontgate

what worthless bs
    hope no taxpayer $$ went into this drivel.

March 15, 2011 at 01:19 | Report abuse | Reply
  40. Dboy66

...in that case my father must have been suicidal.

March 15, 2011 at 01:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  41. John

As a father of five and a grandfather of four...I have only 1 thing to say – Shut up all you ignorant people! Running your mouths like you know something! When an article covers something about selfishness or stupidity, then you will be heard because you are already there!

March 15, 2011 at 01:45 | Report abuse | Reply
    • John

By the way...people ask for answers, but they certainly do not deserve them...Therefore you won't get them

March 15, 2011 at 01:52 | Report abuse |
  42. Red Rider

Article doesn't say how many of the depressed were on anti-depressants. This is when the trouble really starts.

March 15, 2011 at 02:17 | Report abuse | Reply
    • John

Really? Like you know something about depression? The trouble starts with NOT knowing you have a problem mister. Learn it!

March 15, 2011 at 02:26 | Report abuse |
  43. areyoujoking

More women commit child abuse than men. Why the need for this article? I've never seen one cnn article about abusive moms even though they are MUCH more abusive than dads. Why aren't people looking into why moms abuse?

March 15, 2011 at 02:49 | Report abuse | Reply
  44. Patrick Martz

My parents hit me and I'm glad they did. I see a huge difference between my friends who were hit and those who weren't. The ones who were hit tend to be more responsible and have been more successful in their lives/careers. I can't speak for everyone, but it worked for me.

March 15, 2011 at 03:52 | Report abuse | Reply
    • John

Completely agree guy

March 15, 2011 at 03:53 | Report abuse |
  45. Tim

I was in a situation where I was abused by a 12 year old step daughter. She had a force field protection from her half brother who was at a distance – he bullied his mother to ensure that the dear child was able to insult and humiliate me let alone tax and wear me down unchallenged. She is today a beautiful fiery young woman, we are divorced because the son insisted upon it – and are now starting the climb back together against the sons bullying which has persisted 25 years – he is punishing his mother for divorcing and not continuing his supply of good toys. Aren't humans nice things?

March 15, 2011 at 04:52 | Report abuse | Reply
  46. katie

NEWS FLASH... depressed people more likely to commit suicide. Where's the DUH factor is this study?

March 15, 2011 at 07:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  47. RickyL

I was disciplined, not abused, as a child. Rarely was it physical, but when it was physical, it was honestly earned by yours truly.

Thanks, Pop.

March 15, 2011 at 08:15 | Report abuse | Reply
  48. Pastor Evans

Jesus is Lord!!!

March 15, 2011 at 08:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  49. trixen

What does that have to do with this article?? Anything???

March 15, 2011 at 08:34 | Report abuse | Reply
  50. John

My Dad was a very very very depressed man!

March 15, 2011 at 08:35 | Report abuse | Reply