home
RSS
March 9th, 2011

Doctor's heroics prompted praise, questions

Readers had a lot of praise for  Tim and Alison Delgado and also questions about the story that was published Saturday. The Delgados had a rare encounter in the emergency department after Alison was struck by a car while bicycling.

For more about the couple, visit Razoo and Move with Love.

Here are some of your questions and comments (edited for brevity).

Ltcmdr49022: CNN, is this the best you could do for front page news? Yea, yea, yea. I'm happy she made it through and all, but there are issues in the world going on at this very moment that would have been more better suited for a main event.

Guest responded to such criticism. "Human stories keep us grounded. Hearing only the negative all the time makes us detached and angry. These stories remind us of the human condition and that there is always hope and love to get us through the day. So don't be such a sourpuss and smile. Life has its moments... good and bad."

The next question referred to how Tim inserted a tracheotomy tube after his wife's seizure.

podbaydoors: What I want to know is, where'd he get the tube? I hate it when they leave out details like that. Although I have known ER docs and anesthesiologists to carry intubation kits around just in case- on of them saved my father-in-law's life at the airport when he had a cardiac arrest in the check-in line

Good question.  Tim had grabbed the tracheotomy  kit from Alison's rehab center after her initial injury. Tim mentioned that he took it home without really knowing why. That impulse probably helped save Alison's life.

ryandote: There's no such thing as a "trauma" residency.

You're right.  Tim is an emergency medicine resident at University Hospital in Cincinnati.

lucer0t wondered why Tim and the nurse just stood there and waited for another helicopter to arrive.

They didn't.  Tim and his flight nurse, Deb Jump, were part of a team effort to save Alison's life.  But Tim could not be her primary doctor.  After realizing the patient was his wife, he ordered drugs for his wife at the hospital.  "Frazzled, he didn't realize he was recommending the wrong dose."  The emotional toll wreaked havoc on Tim's state of mind at the time. That is why Tim could not be her doctor on the flight back.  Here's what one reader said about that kind of shock.

AbdulH: About 10 years ago, I was at the beach and I heard a woman about 100 yards away screaming... When I ran down there to her, her husband was floating in the surf. I ran out grabbed him and pulled him to shore. He was not breathing. I have had CPR training twice in my life,  but not recently.  I checked his tongue, airways pulse and started CPR and yelled to people who had gathered to call 911 and continued until he started breathing on his own.  Shortly after paramedics showed up and took over, I went to the wife to talk to her and found out she was an emergency room nurse, but in her panic just froze and had no ability to render aid.  So I can understand the decision here to bring in another doctor even though precious time was also lost.

And here's an update from Tim: "Ali's [final aneurysm] surgery went really well.  Last night she actually went out to dinner for her birthday.  We still plan to get her back to work in April or May."

1. Shannlee

Thank you for updating this story. Yes, some were harsh talking about how there are more important things going on in the world. You know what? I like hearing about a person's compassion, and a man saving his wife's life rather than taking it, or kidnapping and killing his kids, etc. If all you read the news for is the bad, you need some serious pyschiatric help. Hopefully we don't read about some horror that you have done. Go ahead, trolls, flame away!

March 9, 2011 at 16:45 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. JS

Why is Alison listed as "cyclist Alison Delgado", yet her husband "Dr. Tim Delgado"? To the extent of the knowledge provided by these reports, she is a physician as well and deserves the recognition of her work.

March 9, 2011 at 20:50 | Report abuse | Reply
    • kat

I believe she was in medical school when the injury occurred. Having not passed final boards into internship she would not yet be considered a Dr.

March 9, 2011 at 23:54 | Report abuse |
    • pound

@Kat it said they were both in their residency... isn't that AFTER the MD is earned? They were both in the same stage of their education, so I agree with JS.

March 10, 2011 at 02:01 | Report abuse |
  3. Donna from Dormont

I truly enjoyed this heartfelt story. Tim and Alison have my very best wishes for the future.

March 9, 2011 at 20:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. gg

i wish i can have a husband like Tim! good luck to u both! 🙂

March 9, 2011 at 23:12 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mariola

My husband and i loved as much as you can execpt to attain finished at this point. That draw is normally stylish, ones own composed subject theme classy. however, anyone get have purchased a great fear over you desire seem offering the next. sick without doubt are provided extra earlier known as for a second time as being exactly the same roughly very often internal instance one prevent this enhance.

September 13, 2012 at 22:16 | Report abuse |
  5. ed Bailey

I too have been in Tim's shoes and shock can be very incapacitating and is perfectly normal.in the miliytary I had a 20 year old without any visible injuries go into a-fib, an explosion killed his sargent and within 10 minutes he was shook up but stable. My mind took many months to fully heal!

March 10, 2011 at 01:37 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. SpiderMan

a quack is a quack is a quack.......

it's all 'practicing' medicine until the quack gets lucky.
    (good to hear the luck worked to save the girl in this case)

then it's back to 'practicing' medicine.

'quack, quack' !

March 10, 2011 at 06:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Amanda Delgado Graves

Good for you Madison!!!! Thanks, Mandy

March 10, 2011 at 13:28 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. jack

My daughter choked on a piece of meat at the dinner table. And when I say "choked," I mean she was entirely unable to breath: no squeak, no cough, no gasp, no air whatsoever. My son noticed and brought her condition to our attention. My wife dialed 911. I performed first aid. No one panicked. We just did as we were trained, and we got that meat out before she could lose consciousness. I have zero sympathy for weak-minded individuals practicing medicine who can't execute their training in order to save the lives of their own loved ones. They should find some other, more suitable career.

March 11, 2011 at 15:34 | Report abuse | Reply
    • jackie

good for you Jack. If only the rest of the world were as awesome as you.

March 14, 2011 at 22:04 | Report abuse |