home
RSS
February 22nd, 2011

Can antidepressants jump-start bipolar disorder?

Every weekday, a CNNHealth expert doctor answers a viewer question. On Tuesdays, it's Dr. Charles Raison, an associate professor of psychiatry and behavioral sciences at Emory University, and an expert in the mind-body connection for health.

Asked by Michelle, Michigan

I had an untreated health issue for a couple of years that threw me into a mild depression. I have a mother and brother who are bipolar and one of the things my therapist told me is that studies show that if you go on an antidepressant and there is a history of bipolar in your family that this can sometimes "kick in" the bipolar. I am lucky and was able to get past my depression with therapy, exercise, etc. I was just wondering what your thoughts were.Expert answer

Dear Michelle,

I've got a lot of thoughts about your question, and they are all confused! In this way I am much like the field of psychiatry as a whole. Ten years ago I would have told you that what you'd heard was absolutely correct and that people with bipolar disorder should avoid antidepressants because of the risk these medications pose in terms of making vulnerable people manic.

I still mostly believe this, but a number of large studies done over the last five years do not do much to confirm the idea that antidepressants are dangerous for people with - or at risk for - bipolar disorder. In these studies, people with bipolar disorder seem able to take antidepressants and not "go manic" at any higher rate than they would have naturally.

On the other hand, anyone who has practiced psychiatry for any time at all can tell you stories of people like yourself with a bipolar family history who went manic soon after going on an antidepressant for the first time. So what's the truth? We just don't know.

In fact, we don't even know whether antidepressants help people with bipolar disorder who get depressed. It's interesting. Studies done on the East Coast of the United States tend to find that antidepressants do not help, whereas studies done on the West Coast suggest that they are of tremendous benefit. What's the truth? We just don't know yet.

There are a few things I think we can say with at least a little certainty. First, we know that people from families with bipolar disorder are twice as likely to have "regular old" depression than to have classic bipolar disorder. Like everyone else, these folks should have their depression treated as rapidly and completely as possible, and antidepressants are often hugely useful in accomplishing this. On the other hand, there is at least some evidence that people with family histories like yours may be at an increased risk of having a manic episode on an antidepressant. This wouldn't stop me from using one, but I'd watch with extra caution. The good news is that you tapped into other well documented antidepressant strategies, including exercise and psychotherapy.

1. Neil

It is safe to say that ssri antidepressants not only trigger psychotic symptoms including mania, they often create new and permanent psychotic illness in individuals taking them. This is occurring at rates well over 400% higher in users than in the typical population, and if that much evidence existed on the harmful effects of marijuana it would not be legal anywhere. SSRI's were only tested for a very short duration of time on patients, almost no information was gathered on the effects of these drugs on the human body becuase there exists no way to test for them. This creates what is known as plausible deniability since medicine doesn't know what ssri's do they can say they are not responsible for creating new and much more serious problems in patients, and there is no way to prove otherwise. Unless you look at the numbers, the numbers show the onset of new psychiatric illness in people taking antidepressants to be exponentially higher than in any control group, studies tend to disappear rapidly after being released. Find a free clinic do a study yourself, you'd be surprised how many people will willingly volunteer, and you'll also be surprised how quickly teams of lawyers from pharmaceutical companies shut down the reporting of your findings. Pharma is not going to conduct this type of study when they are not made to do so, and also know it will end their selling of a line of medication that has made them billions of dollars it's their golden goose.

October 19, 2013 at 06:05 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jaime

Where did you read that the spychosis caused by ssri use is permanent? That is not true is temporary

January 15, 2016 at 12:44 | Report abuse |
    • Jaime

Where did you read that the psychosis caused by ssri use is permanent? That is not true is temporary you can reply at jgaona52@hotmail.com

January 15, 2016 at 12:46 | Report abuse |
  2. Joanna

This happened to me. Two members of my immediate family had been diagnosed with bipolar. There was also a family history of "hyper-religiosity". I suffered a situational depression due to overwork and interpersonal issues. Without taking a family history at all, my doctor proscribed Zoloft. Within two weeks I was out of my mind, in a psychotic mania. Now I have bipolar disorder and have to take Lithium for the rest of my life, or until my kidneys fail ... Otherwise I slip into cycling mixed manic episodes.
    SO, if you have any family history of bipolar, or other markers such as "nervous breakdowns" , drug abuse, "hyper-religiosity"etc, DO NOT take SSRIs for your depression. There may not be solid clinical evidence, but the lived experiences tell a different story.

July 19, 2016 at 21:00 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Lucille whitehead

I am bipolar two my husband is bipolar one with scitzofrenic tendencies. I have hypomania so I take moodstablelizer and two kinds of antidepressant and my husband take a moodstablelizer and a antiphychotics. You always have to take a moodstablelizer with any kind of bipolar and yes if you have mania it can't be controlled without a moodstablelizer. The best person to treat this is a phychiatrist. It is a desease and without these pills your brain detereates that much faster. My husband had to be hospitalized for two weeks to get on these medications for his mania was so bad and he was so far gone he was unable to see how sick he was. He and I are doing fine now. We have been married for 43 years.

December 5, 2016 at 19:38 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Ellen

After years of having BiPolar affect me personally, I do not believe the disorder exists. I believe it happens in this order: For whatever reason, stress in one's life causes increasing depression. An antidepressant is prescribed. If you you react poorly to it you are immediately diagnosed with BiPolar. I believe this is sadly a reaction your brain has to the meds upsetting it. It is trying to let people know their system doesn't like it. Then, if you are diagnosed with bipolar, mood stablilizers enter the picture. They know now that any psychiatric drugs alter the neurons of the brain and if you are on them long enough, teach the brain not to produce its own serotonin so if people try to get off the meds and the symptoms return, they are convinced they still have bipolar, no, they have become addicted to the meds because they supply the chemical equivalent of serotonin that the brain no longer can.

June 22, 2017 at 06:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. ed pills online

can erectile dysfunction be healed
    erectile disorder symptoms
    erectile support

November 26, 2020 at 18:38 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. detectives privados moncloa

detectives privados santa pola

December 12, 2020 at 01:36 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Olivia Jeffress

I’m curious to find out what blog system you have been utilizing? I’m experiencing some small security issues with my latest blog and I’d like to find something more safe. Do you have any solutions?

December 20, 2020 at 18:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Brantuac

Coventry city centre modern news

Coventry city centre businesses won't all re open 'for at least one month'Coventry City CentreSome believe it may take even longer

Further doubt cast on anchor tenant for Coventry's 300m City Centre SouthCoventry City CentreIt can have more homes than first planned, It is considered

A cheeky Nando's is back on the menu as eaterys reopen in Coventry and LeamingtonNando'sPeople can get their Piri Piri fix via click and collect and with a delivery service

Wagamama in Coventry to open for deliveries next weekWagamamaThe eatery chain is rolling out a phased reopening programme

would likely Coventry IKEA ever reopen? Readers reactIkeaThe mothballed store in the city centre is due to close perpetually but will it have one last hurrah?

gaze: Flashback to Coventry IKEA's 2007 grand openingIkeaThe Scandinavian chain opened in the city on December 16, 2007

Picture shows IKEA being stripped bare amid reports of clear outIkeaThe giant Coventry store's reception desk has been emptied amid reports of stock being redistributed

New bar to open in Coventry city centre after lockdownCoventry NewsWork is underway so the bar will be prepared for when lockdown is lifted

sporting events activities pitch, Apartments and community centre planned on edge of Coventry city centreCoventryIt's in a prime site just not in the city centre

Plans continue for phased re opening of CoventryCoventryThe council leader has had his say

Students call for rent reduction on empty hallsCoventry NewsSome students believe as they have personally moved out, Rent prices requirements reduced

Disney quiz hosted by Belgrade Theatre tonightBelgrade TheatreIt will probably themed around musical numbers

Three online businesses sign up for Coventry city centreCoventry City Centre'The city continues to display strong appeal'

Coventry to be bathed in blue tonight for special commemorationCoventry City CentreThis year's event also marks the 200th house warming of Florence Nightingale's birth

Primark stores prepare to open again as managers return to workPrimark

high street shops has been struggling but Primark is set for a return

Rats have 'overrun' Coventry city centre st, Says residentCoventry City CouncilTenant claims rodents are 'running amok' on residential street with problem made worse by development work in the area

64 celebrities Coventry and Warwickshire have given the worldCoventryFrom playwrights and novelists to grime stars and rappers

200 cannabis plants seized in police raid in CoventryCrimeIt came after a tip off from nearby occupants

Flats pertaining to former National Grid depot in Coventry takes step forwardCoventry City CouncilThe Abbotts Lane site cookie jarring dating has been vacant since 2010

New digital art gallery to be built below former Coventry Telegraph buildingCoventry City CouncilThere will also be a tourist desk created where people can get concerning the city.

December 23, 2020 at 13:52 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. earn passive income in 2021

Earn 100 commissions of up to 900+ dollars DAILY. 90 Second Set Up – Beta Tested Proven 24-7 AUTOPILOT Income – 100 New Income System Never Before Seen. More details: https://bit.ly/2YfQFcC

December 26, 2020 at 14:18 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Edison Hibbetts

Top-notch post it is surely. My friend has been awaiting for this content.

January 11, 2021 at 23:18 | Report abuse | Reply