home
RSS
February 14th, 2011

Pediatricians, parents warned on energy drink dangers

They claim to give you that extra boost, but recent studies have shown that energy drinks containing large amounts of caffeine and other stimulants, can actually cause major health problems in children, teens and young adults. In fact, according to the American Association of Poison Control Centers, of the 5,448 U.S. caffeine overdoses reported in 2007, 46% occurred in those younger than 19 years. Now a new report in the journal of Pediatrics warns parents, and doctors that these drinks could be especially dangerous to children with ADHD, diabetes, sleep issues and eating disorders.

Tips for managing diabetes

Doctors from the University of Miami School of Medicine say that  although caffeine can improve attention spans, it also increases blood pressure and disrupts sleep patterns in young people. And scientists have found the attention span of kids who consumed these drinks on a daily basis eventually decreased. So did their heart rates over the long run, while their blood pressure numbers increased, which could put unnecessary pressure on the heart. Researchers note that could be dangerous for children who are on other medications

"Mixing other drugs with these drinks, could lead to a host of other complications." says Dr. Steven Lipshultz, a pediatric cardiologist and chairman of the Department of Pediatrics at the University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine. "The problem is, a lot of young people don't realize what's in these drinks and the combinations could be serious, even deadly."

These drinks should not be consumed after long periods of exercise, or mixed with alcohol, study authors added.

"A lot of young people, especially teens and young adults think they are drinking sports drinks," warned Lipshultz. "So they drink them after practice. But instead of replacing electrolytes in their bodies, they are adding large amounts of caffeine and other stimulants, which can rev up the body and the heart even more. "

But the American Beverage Association, which represents the manufacturers of these drinks, says there's plenty of caffeine in lots of drinks that are available to a younger age group. "Young adults getting coffee from popular coffeehouses are getting about twice as much caffeine as they would from a similar size energy drink," the ABA said in a reaction statement to the Pediatrics paper.

But doctors warn that many people need to be made aware that these are not just cans of "quick energy," but beverages that contain not only caffeine, but stimulants such as guarana and taurine, that could affect different people in different ways.

What's inside energy drinks?

"Some kids can handle these substances, but others cannot," says Lipshultz. "Kids need to be careful of how much they drink."

Lipshultz and his co-authors stressed that pediatricians need to recognize symptoms and health problems associated with these drinks and should advise parents and young people of their dangers.

"The problem is, when kids come into a doctor's office with nausea, dizziness, racing hearts and even worse, seizures, pediatricians immediately think some form of drug abuse," says Lipshultz. "But in many cases, it could be energy drinks that are causing these problems. And doctors need to be on the lookout for that"

1. azezel

I had this fight in school. Caffeine is a physically addictive drug as far as I am concerned. It takes about a week to dry out and a month to rebuild a normal system. I have had issues with abusing it to work multiple jobs and avoid sleep. There are alot of problems caffeine abuse can cause.

February 14, 2011 at 03:38 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Pond

A cup or two of freshly brewed green tea is a healthy energy boost for any adult (except those who are super-sensitive to all caffeine.)

February 14, 2011 at 08:45 | Report abuse |
    • Brandon

J rob on paper it makes sense, but leaving out the detail that smoking in a direct way affects others around you. While its true alcohol in a indirect way through other ways like automobile accidents what have you can affect others around. Just a thought for us people that do not enjoy second hand smoke :).

February 14, 2011 at 09:23 | Report abuse |
    • Itsgone

I totally agree with you. I bought 3 cases of energy drinks once, when i had a lot of tests and projects. I would drink one for breakfast, and 1 or 2 at night to stay awake until 4am, and wake up at 7 to drink another. when i ran out i had major withdrawal, and craved it more and more. it messed up my sleep cycle, which took a month to correct, and its still hard for me to wake up in the morning.

February 14, 2011 at 09:31 | Report abuse |
    • K

Living an healthy lifestyle encompasses more then just eating Heathy... Now with energy drinks causing obesity that's ridiculous. While some are loaded with carbs; your about as likely to become fat drinking a Redbull as eating a Banana... Simple carbs are simple carbs.

February 14, 2011 at 10:51 | Report abuse |
    • Kris

J-Rob, you are actually more correct than you know. Firstly, high glycemic index "foods" like red bull and soda are quickly metabolized, causing a quick increase in blood sugar followed by a quick decrease. This rapid decrease precipitates a feeling of hunger and hence more consumption. Secondly, a major contributor to obesity is leptin resistance. In other words, with people with higher fat content, the less satiated they feel after meals. Thirdly, these foods are highly likely to stimulate the "reward complex" in the brain much like nicotene.

February 14, 2011 at 11:03 | Report abuse |
    • CAFFEINE ADDICTION IS BS

I think anyone who can't stop drinking caffeine is just weak. It's all in your head, if you just quit and don't make a huge deal out of it, it will not be hard to quit.

February 14, 2011 at 11:49 | Report abuse |
    • Bob

Not mixed with Alcohol? Have you ever had a vodka and red bull? It's probably one of the most common ordered drinks at today's clubs. It's has even been mentioned in popular music over the last couple of years. I've known many people who have ordered them, and to be honest, I don't see a problem. Moderation is always the real problem with kids today. Teach them to have some respect for themselves and others and you won't have to be worried about how many soda's they are consuming on a daily basis. Sheish.

February 14, 2011 at 12:21 | Report abuse |
  2. becks

Caffeine doesn't affect me whatsoever. But i still won't drink energy drinks....they just seem really chemically produced.

February 14, 2011 at 04:02 | Report abuse | Reply
    • JD

Caffeine affects EVERYONE in regards to health, it may not affect you "energy" wise, but it affects a host of issues in your general health.

February 14, 2011 at 04:25 | Report abuse |
    • Wzrd1

JD, I drink quite a bit of coffee per day. Nearly an entire pot over the course of a day.
      I LITERALLY can have a cup of coffee and go to bed and sleep.
      Does it have any effect on me? Yes, it DOES initially elevate my blood pressure. My heart rate increases for a few minutes as well.
      But, nowhere NEAR the amount that others, who are not tolerant of the caffeine. And EXCESS amounts, beyond that pot a day can cause cardiac anomalies. PVC's galore, chest tightness/pain, dizziness (aka syncope) for starters.
      To put it simply, these drinks have a LOT more caffeine than coffee. Unhealthy amounts, for anyone who drinks more than one every 4-6 hours. THAT alone makes them unsuitable for children. They lack the body mass to tolerate that amount of caffeine.
      Though a cup of coffee or tea does a hyperactive child good, again, the amount in the energy drink is WAY above that amount.

February 14, 2011 at 12:10 | Report abuse |
    • seriously

for real...why not have a nice cup of coffee instead...those energy drinks all taste like crizzzaaaappppp

February 14, 2011 at 12:10 | Report abuse |
  3. Mi Nombre Aquí

Well Duh! Neither of us allow ANY of our children to drink any 'energy drinks' they are chemically loaded crap in a can. We don't even drink them ourselves. When either of us or our kids need a boost or replenishment after/before sports or physical activities they get Ensure or Pediasure or something like Gatorade or natural fruit juices or flavored water. Even if they consume them themselves, what parent in their right mind allows their minor children to drink that 'energy drink' ¢rap? You'd have to be a very special kind of Štüpid to do so!

February 14, 2011 at 04:21 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Teacher in SC

You cannot always control what your child can or cannot drink. The school I work at sells these type of drinks in the lunchroom... We make money off of the fact it is the only place in the school to buy these... So, your student grabs one on the way in to school, during lunch, and then again while on their way home... Lucky student (NOT)

February 14, 2011 at 04:48 | Report abuse |
    • Tia

As far as I know, there is no age restriction on buying energy drinks so your little darlings can go into a mini-mart themselves and buy them, or get them from their friends at school. Don't assume that the parents are "letting" their kids drink them - your own little angels could just as easily get them.

February 14, 2011 at 04:50 | Report abuse |
    • 2+2=5

What? You mean to tell me the government isn't going to bend over backwards for me?!?! shucks.....I'm shocked. Boy did you get a dose of reality in here. Well, anyway, it is well that you are atleast aware, it is a start, if only one.

February 14, 2011 at 08:14 | Report abuse |
    • unretired05

Like Gatorade is natural. Have you read the label?

February 14, 2011 at 08:33 | Report abuse |
    • Pond

Not everyone is educated about everything. There is no need for name-calling.

February 14, 2011 at 08:48 | Report abuse |
    • Rethink that

Firefighters in many jurisdictions occasionally drink Gatorade to replenish electrolytes after a major incident, but they dilute it with equal parts water to balance out the benefits/negative effects. The high amounts of food coloring in most flavors of Gatorade can cause behavior problems in kids, too. If you want to give Gatorade to your kids, that's fine, but it's sure not a healthy option.

February 14, 2011 at 09:34 | Report abuse |
    • Missy PA

"When either of us or our kids need a boost or replenishment after/before sports or physical activities they get Ensure or Pediasure or something like Gatorade or natural fruit juices or flavored water. Even if they consume them themselves, what parent in their right mind allows their minor children to drink that 'energy drink' ¢rap? You'd have to be a very special kind of Štüpid to do so!"

Just for conversation sake, have you every read the ingredients inside a bottle of Ensure or Gatorade? Those products are loaded with sugar, artificial colors, artificial flavors, etc., which has no nutritional value at all. Even natural fruit juice can have as much sugar as a can of soda. Purified water along with an organic granola bar is a much better alternative to giving a growing child an energy drink like Red Bull or the other junk known as Gatorade...I'm just sayin'!!!

February 14, 2011 at 11:54 | Report abuse |
    • Wzrd1

So, you don't feed your children chemicals, other than the chemicals called Ensure or Gatorade.
      I rarely even drank Gatorade in the Persian Gulf deserts, let alone at home! It's a hypertonic solution that would DEHYDRATE someone, not hydrate them! When I DID have it, I diluted it with water, so that I was NOT dehydrated by it.
      Want to give the kid a GOOD energy boost that would be just as effective? Give them a banana and water.

February 14, 2011 at 12:14 | Report abuse |
    • Jen

Finally! Someone who agrees with me!!!
      My Son's 11, and he's ALWAYS bugging me to try one of these drinks. I tell him absolutely NOT. He complains that all the other kids have them all the time.
      I was soooo happy to sit him down and point out the news article to him yesterday, and today, this article will be a good follow up to make my point.
      These drinks are insane.
      When my husband has one, once ever 6 months, when he drinks with a certain friend (vodka and Redbull), I get all mad at him and worried...I don't even want HIM having any! And I've never even tried them. I'm good, thanks!
      I worry about when my Son's older, and off on his own with friends, etc....I'll just try my hardest to get it into his head, that these are no better than huffing, or doing drugs, and all the other stuff I've drilled into his head. And he has ADHD, so now I can REALLY tell him it's bad and dangerous for him! Muahahahahahah!
      People just amaze me. They'll consume any old product out there, just cause.....it's THERE!
      Ridiculous.

February 15, 2011 at 13:19 | Report abuse |
  4. ryan

read the label before you drink it. go for the sugar free brands as there are a lot of different ones on the market. oh, btw sitting on your computer reading and writing on the cnn website contributes to obesity....... and then death. just thought i would point it out

February 14, 2011 at 04:24 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Give Me A Break

Blogging leads to death. Yes indeed, the doctor has spoken. Yes, it will if that's all you do for 12 hrs. every single day...duh! One energy drink a week or month is not a problem, its when kids drink one a day or several a day, which is quite the norm for some that can afford them, obviously. I wonder if there is ANY food on earth that is totally non-harmful in some way, to some people?

February 14, 2011 at 04:40 | Report abuse |
    • 2+2=5

Think the reply itself, explains itself. Sort of like Sarah Palin. Stop bimboing your way into the future please.

February 14, 2011 at 08:15 | Report abuse |
    • Forexpreneur

Sugar free is not the way to go either. The FDA gets more complaints about aspartme than anything else out there. sucralose isn't much better either. Over a period of time both aspartme and sucralose can cause major health problems such as a major increase of a chance of heart disease, heart attacks, stroke, metabolic syndrome, swollen feet and legs, etc. etc.

February 14, 2011 at 08:49 | Report abuse |
    • everything leads to death

see above

February 14, 2011 at 12:35 | Report abuse |
  5. Dude Really?

Know what else leads to death? Being born. Last time I checked, no one gets out of here alive.....

February 14, 2011 at 04:32 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Pond

I think one point here is that people could overdo these drinks, have a siezure or stroke, and end up with permanent brain damage. Therefore, more education is needed. You've become desensitized to suffering and how sad it is if a teenager dies, and that's not good.

February 14, 2011 at 08:51 | Report abuse |
  6. www.twitter.com/hlmelsaid

Return to nature.

February 14, 2011 at 04:50 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Really?

Did you just advise people to return to nature on CNN.com while using your twitter account as a name? Are we being punked?

February 14, 2011 at 08:18 | Report abuse |
    • 2+2=5

Didn't know I left it......

February 14, 2011 at 08:20 | Report abuse |
  7. lyondawg

Ok ppl listen up,our bodies need certian things like nickel,mercury,etc etc but in the form of clalorial minerals/glasermilk etc etc,but heres what some ppl dont know flouride is a by product of the atom and in the 1800's steel boom etc etc had no way to dispose of it so they dumped in the water,plz research b4 u jump my a$$.n e way our gov says that 1/part per million of this and that is ok so clorine that attacks the respitory system,and formalihide which attches to the brain and rottens certian parts is

February 14, 2011 at 04:53 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Seraphim0

Way to stick to the topic at hand, bud.

February 14, 2011 at 09:54 | Report abuse |
  8. lyondawg

Ok,but in time it all adds up and never goes away,ohh btw clorine is in the city water systems to clean bacteria out of ur so called clean drinking water,believe me i haul hazardous waste to be disposed of so we ppl can @least have some half safe drinking water and clean air hahahahhaha lmao whats next ya ur born,u pay taxes u die life in a circle of lies by the gov and u ppl know it.lyondawg l8r

February 14, 2011 at 04:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. lyondawg

Opps so eat drink in morderation,to much of n e one thing will hurt u in some way shape or form.and guess what so will time enjoy!!!!!!!

February 14, 2011 at 04:59 | Report abuse | Reply
    • unretired05

Hauling hazardous waste must be the explanation for your 3 partially intelligible posts.

February 14, 2011 at 09:25 | Report abuse |
  10. viv23

U can't generalize all energy drinks. These docs/author do not have their home work done about energy drinks. 12 yr old & above can drink energy drinks. Check out content of energy drinks, should be water soluble, 0 cal, 0 sugar, less in cal. Check out Xs energy.

February 14, 2011 at 05:03 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Perfect Parents!

I love how some people think they are the perfect parents and their children are the perfect kids! They must not remember being a kid at all. Old age makes people stupid and worse parents. Old age and death are one perfect cure for stupidity. Isn't that right Mi Nombre Aqui?

February 14, 2011 at 05:22 | Report abuse | Reply
    • 2+2=5

Yep, I think you'd have heart attacks if you actually knew what your kids were up to. In fact, you would tie them down in their room, you know, damage control to the families reputation. Case in point, two of my x's fathers have passed, neither has a clue what caused it...........??? smoke another one people. Not to mention the wake looked more like a ritual sacrifice, insane, it is what it is, and they aren't my kids, what can you do?!? Take a look at the drugs in the cities, its getting into the small towns now like a cancer, your more right then you want to know. Last I heard, no lie, they are taking dumps in bags and huffing it. Go America!!! Your so REAL!!!

February 14, 2011 at 08:25 | Report abuse |
    • Pond

Okay 2 + 2, if these men passed away and no one knows why, why wasn't a proper autopsy done? And what do you have against America, anyway? All countries have these problems.

February 14, 2011 at 08:54 | Report abuse |
    • Rethink that

2 + 2, two of your x's fathers passed, "and they're not even my kids," huh?!? Have you been cleared as a suspect? Quit the hating, stick with a marriage, and have a better life.

February 14, 2011 at 09:39 | Report abuse |
    • Jen

I think I'm a GOOD parent, but definately not perfect. I worry about how I might have scarred my kids, and wish I could do some things over.
      But as good as you try and make your kids, they're ALWAYS gonna do things you told them not to.

I've talked to my kids about drugs, huffing, chemicals, smoking, bullying, manners, feelings, etc etc etc etc etc....since they were 2.
      I can tell I've done a very good job.
      BUT...there's still gonna be mess ups and disobeying. I know that.
      But I'll NEVER stop paying CLOSE ATTENTION to every detail of their lives. Not in a smothering way...just in a "background" way. You HAVE to.
      I was a good kid, but I still did some dumb things, and things that were the opposite of what I'd been taught. It just happens.

Where did those "talk to your kids" commercials go? They were actually something GOOD to advertise! (sad, though, that we actually have to TELL people to talk to their kids about life!)

February 15, 2011 at 13:31 | Report abuse |
  12. todd herman

I would say put a 21 yr old age limit on these drinks,mustb i.d. at stores just like booze.that should limit these kids from hurtn themselves

February 14, 2011 at 06:16 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. joe daddy

what the american beverage assoc wont say is that they lie when they say it hasthe same amount of caffine as a up of coffee. In fat gaurana is caffine also and they do not have to account for it as caffine so they skirt the truth. stay away from these drinks they are not good for you.

February 14, 2011 at 06:20 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Guarana drinker since Birth! (practically)

Wow, way to delete my comment CNN.

The truth is, guarana is a healthy and powerful fruit. Drink it as a tea, in moderation, leave out the sugar and other additives. It is quite good for you! (as is acai, stevia, and yerba mate, though the US is slow to pick up on these and overly process and modify them to they point they are no longer healthy when they do)

February 14, 2011 at 12:13 | Report abuse |
  14. AJ

There are energy drinks that contain very high levels of B vitamins (eg, upwards of 8000% RDA of B12). These drinks don't contain guarana and taurine and contain VERY little caffeine. They don't make your heart race, don't raise your BP. Your energy increases for hours but doesn't crash later as it does with caffeine. It would be helpful if they addressed the safety of these drinks also. Maybe they would be a safer alternative.

February 14, 2011 at 06:28 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. B in cincinnati

i used to drink this energy drink thats named after the turbo booster thats used in race cars it gave me energy made me more alert and lasted for hours but i stopped drinkin it because my heart always would beat really fast after drinkin it. i knew that was normal so i stopped and will never drink any or take any thing like it again! Too risky. Not worth dying over

February 14, 2011 at 06:28 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. terry

read the can there a limit on how much you should drink and on monster brands its 3 in one day

February 14, 2011 at 06:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. midnightrambler444

Thanks Capt. Obvious. We needed a Dr. to tell us taking speed is bad for children.

February 14, 2011 at 06:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. All Girl

I have two healthy 16 year old boys (twins) who play high school football. On a visit for sports physicals our family Dr. went one step further and did blood work since he had not seen the boys in a while. The one does drink "Energy drinks" with his friends and had drank a couple over the weekend it was a Wednesday the day of blood work. The Dr. found he his creatinine levels were very high and warned us of Kidney trouble. I had a bad feeling about the energy drinks before that and felt they should have been labled for adults only and not the kids. The coach even warns the team not to drink these drinks.. Sadley I saw on a TV show a women giving her toddler some.. If she only knew. I hope this artlce is taken seriously.

February 14, 2011 at 06:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. liza

WATCH FOR "REDLINE" versus for ex. "redbull." VERY DIF! BEWARE!

February 14, 2011 at 07:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. hootan

energy drinks

February 14, 2011 at 07:07 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. hootan

energy drinks...

February 14, 2011 at 07:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Christopher

The fact is that these drinks don't cause any problems unless you drink too much for your body-type/weight. They are like anything that says they will 'pep you up'.

To All Girl.... high creatine levels cannot be caused by anything in these drinks, your son probably just has a naturally high level, unless of course other tests came back with a normal/low level of that.

February 14, 2011 at 07:18 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Drugs

The stimulants in these drinks are drugs just like alcohol and tobacco.

February 14, 2011 at 07:22 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Kudu

I agree with the majority here, kids emulate adults, and many adults consume a vast amount of energy drinks. There has been no long term health studies and I can see a train wreck ahead for those who choose to daily consumer these drinks.

February 14, 2011 at 07:26 | Report abuse | Reply
    • seriously

very true...i take 3 city buses to and from work each day...i say people of all ages drinking these drinks....
      honestly i have no idea how people drink them...they taste sooooooooo bad....

February 14, 2011 at 12:24 | Report abuse |
  25. sheeple

So, if Michelle Obama wants to strip parents of power when it comes to school lunches, why should parents be held responsible for any other aspects of their kids' nutrition? Seems an entire energy drink ban should be in order, from our super-protective, overly empowered government.

February 14, 2011 at 07:29 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Lotsaluck

How is Michelle Obama "stripping power" from parents regarding their kids' lunches? Is she standing in your kitchen while you make those PB&Js? Forcing you to include an apple? You aren't exactly a Rhodes scholar, are you? And you still aren't over the fact that Obama was elected. Poor baby.

February 14, 2011 at 08:31 | Report abuse |
    • Amanda

Good grief. Calling for school lunches to be healthier and for kids to get more exercise is hardly "stripping parents of power." The school lunch bill that passed is specifically targeted at schools where the majority of kids get free or reduced lunches. My sister teaches at a very poor rural school. Nearly all her kids get free or reduced price meals and, for many of them, it's the only two meals they eat a day. Pizza square and tater tots won't give a growing child the nutrients they need. I'm glad they are taking a closer look at lunches.

February 14, 2011 at 08:38 | Report abuse |
  26. Victor Hugo Martinez Esparza

I have long thought that when I fell ill back in May 2009 that the result of my drinking 2 Red Bulls daily led to my poor health. I ended up with PNUEMONIA, DIABETES, KIDNEY STONES, PROSTATE ENLARGED, BLADDER INFECTION, URINARY TRACK INFECTION, ENLARGED HEART, MY RIGHT HAND WITH A CONTINOUS SHAKE, NAUSEA, VOMITING, DIZZINESS, ASTHMA, FATIGUE, AND JOINT PAIN all after I stopped drinking it. I had a violent reaction one day after drinking one in the morning and ever since I have not drank one, but my life changed for the worse. I did not have insurance as I lost my job back in 12/2008 and suffered until I ended up in the hospital after my last Red Bull! I know it hurt me and think everyone should know that it will make you very ill in the long run, even in your 40's. I drank them for 6 to 7 years straight until then. 812-369-7600. I still suffer from all these ailments, even with medicine. I lost my healthy life.

February 14, 2011 at 07:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. Courtenay

Who in their right mind would let their kids consume energy drinks on a regular basis? It'd be like sending your kids off to elementary school with a thermos of coffee.

February 14, 2011 at 07:59 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Pond

There was actually a girl at my elementary school who brought a thermos of coffee (diluted with milk, but still) with her lunch. The rest of us were jealous. Children think these energy boosters are "cool." That's why we need to educate them and educate parents.

February 14, 2011 at 08:57 | Report abuse |
    • 2+2=4 not 5

i never had a energy drink

February 24, 2011 at 16:49 | Report abuse |
  28. mona

coffee just as bad especially starbucks! and alot of "kids" drink that too! full of sugar, "expresso" which is worse than caffiene -not saying energy drinks ok but kids will do whatever to have some energy just as we adults do every morning! parents usually have their cup of coffee before starting their day-just a note if kids do drink energy drinks make sure to read how much of it to drink sometimes only 1/2 is a serving–that is important. also energy drinks better than doing drugs like cocaine or speeds to get energy-lesser of two evils!!!!

February 14, 2011 at 08:32 | Report abuse | Reply
  29. Amanda

Just yesterday I was picking up a few things at the grocery store and a couple let their 7 or 8 year old boy pick out a drink. He picked out one of those huge triple-sized Monster energy drinks. He gave it to his mom and she put in on the conveyor belt like it was nothing. I was shocked.

February 14, 2011 at 08:34 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Pond

She probably thinks it's "healthy" like people think Gatorade is healthy.
      It's the evils of marketing and advertising. They make us think chemicals are actually food.

February 14, 2011 at 09:00 | Report abuse |
  30. Niecy

If it isnt one thing its another. Whats next?

February 14, 2011 at 08:40 | Report abuse | Reply
  31. Joni

No S**t Sherlock. Don't hype children up with caffienated drink concoctions. Especially one with ADHD. Do people just not use their brains anymore?

February 14, 2011 at 08:59 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. Bozobub

Well, for those saying coffee is "just as bad", well, I agree it's not perfectly safe, but these energy drinks contain *MANY* stimulants, in addition to caffeine:
    – Ginseng
    – Taurine
    – Guarana (caffeine source stronger than, but missing some components present in coffee)
    – Yerba Mate (same as guarana)
    – And so on, with many additional minor ingredients found.

Even ginseng has been implicated in heart-valve damage.

I hated it as a kid,m but "Bravo!" to Montgomery County, MD, where they only allow water and fruit juice machines anywhere in school (outside of the faculty lounge).

February 14, 2011 at 09:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  33. Dr. X

Blue MONSTERS & Absolute Zero MONSTERs are the Bomb..

February 14, 2011 at 09:07 | Report abuse | Reply
  34. pc

As I tell my 7 and 10 year old, caffeine isnt good in any way for any child or teen during there growing stage. And trust my boys wont touch anything that would keep them from getting tall. I drink energy drinks very clean one is twinlab energy fuel theres nothing bad in it but carbination. Of course too much caffeine is bad on ur adrenals. So if your a healthy physically fit person and drink it for a boost during exercise its ok just make sure u rehydrate with electrolytes.

February 14, 2011 at 09:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. matt

Honestly people. Just use them in moderation. Just like anything else. Everyone is going off the deep end on here. Just chill out and be smart. Not that hard...

February 14, 2011 at 09:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. GaryB

You peopel are so dum! Those driks keep me up fur my classes! they are helpfull! this is just parents and adults tring to keep us from doing what we want. leav us alones!

February 14, 2011 at 09:38 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Really??

I hope this post was made in jest! If not, I suggest you put down the can and pick up a dictionary, or turn on your spell check. If this is the future of this nation I am scared...

February 14, 2011 at 14:09 | Report abuse |
  37. Doomed

I'm on a vicious cycle of caffiene addiction, I use to drink Mountain Dew everyday...it ruined my teeth, i stopped drinking that and moved on to pepsi, coke and any other soda I felt like drinking... the caffiene is hurting me..i'm too weak to pull away from the madness..please ...please somebody help me...

February 14, 2011 at 09:43 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Trebec

I'm from the government and I'm here to help!

February 14, 2011 at 11:24 | Report abuse |
  38. dutchswan

RedBull contains only 80mg of caffine (the drink shown in the picture at the top of the article). That represents about 1/2 of the amount of caffine in 1 8oz cup of coffee. Calm down.

February 14, 2011 at 09:54 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jarod

The problem isnt the amount of caffeine in one serving – but unlike coffee, energy drinks make it easy to have multiple servings in a short amount of time. Nobody is going to "down" a whole pot of coffee but i know plenty that would throw back several redbulls to feel the "rush".

One day a man pulled upto the gate of our military base with pupils dialated and outward symptoms that matched meth or cocaine.. it turns out he drank 12 monsters so he wouldnt fall asleep on his drive back. point it, they have undesirable affects when not used responsibliy.

February 14, 2011 at 10:38 | Report abuse |
  39. cory

i worked in the neuro icu and had a twenty year old kid come in with a very large subdural hematoma (brain bleed) after drinking two energy drinks. the doctors believed this was caused by the drinks...who really knows, but it makes me think twice about trying one.

February 14, 2011 at 10:02 | Report abuse | Reply
  40. BEEEEEEEEE

BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

February 14, 2011 at 10:04 | Report abuse | Reply
    • btttttttt

biggg ole BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

February 14, 2011 at 10:18 | Report abuse |
  41. j

The parents need to be watching what their kids take in. Caffeine is much too available to them. My own parents gave me soda at a young age and it turned out being the hardest habit I've ever quit. Quiting smoking and drinking was child's play next to getting over a long term caffeine addiction. Not to mention it's everywhere. How many crackheads would stop if they were had to walk around with it everywhere for the taking? Not many, that's for sure.

February 14, 2011 at 10:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  42. Big Daddy

When I was in college I worked 2 jobs, and worked out 2 hrs. a day. I woke to a triple expresso followed during the day with coffee pick me ups. I fainted, and had heart palpatations, and subsequently was Dr. Ordered OFF caffeine. Symptoms stopped.
    End of story!
    BTW; what's in that "5 hr. Energy" drink???

February 14, 2011 at 10:08 | Report abuse | Reply
    • cory

similiar story....i worked as a serever and my work got a new diet mt dew dispenser. i had three large drinks that night and ended up in the ER with severe heart palpitations. i now limit myself to one cafinated beverage per day....the point is to do everything in moderation. it's not the kids who are drinking one of these, but the ones who are drinking one after the other. caffine is not good for the body!

February 14, 2011 at 10:14 | Report abuse |
  43. erib baumen

Cocaine is much better and safer for our children buy your kids small bags of cocaine

February 14, 2011 at 10:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  44. tiabear

Caffeine has been around for hundreds of years. All who listen to the phoney baloneys are just that stupid enough to do so. Get off the caffeine b s. What goes into your own body is your business. Not mine. Or anybody else foolish morons love scaring people and some are dumb enough to believe it

February 14, 2011 at 10:15 | Report abuse | Reply
  45. nick

i dont like these drinks

February 14, 2011 at 10:20 | Report abuse | Reply
  46. katie

And why would a parent give their child an energy drink in the first place??.. Oh yeah, bad parenting...

February 14, 2011 at 10:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  47. lubos

Why would any young adult be drinking this stuff? They should have enough energy on their own. Lazy American teenagers. That is why this country is the fattest in the world.

February 14, 2011 at 10:27 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jarod

they dont need it.. but want it. its just like a suger high with extra caffiene. its the only legal way for them alter their mind and feel different&weird like all the people they watch on TV.

February 14, 2011 at 10:32 | Report abuse |
  48. Shahid Wazir

Why all these studies come, when most of the people have already used the medicine/drink/food and they have caused the damage to themselves. I just wish there was a way people can know the damage before they use it.
    A human life is very precious, we should value it.

February 14, 2011 at 10:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  49. hello?

Why are some people comparing red bull to gatorade how stupid are you? Can't people read labels and make
    decisions on their own?
    Also just because some people can't use in moderation, they want to ruin it for everyone else.

And if your not a doctor – stop trying to post like one!

February 14, 2011 at 10:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  50. Jarod

drinking too much water causes death(intoxication), too much fruit eats away your teeth (sugar&acid), too much exercise increases your chance for stroke or other circulatory problems..... people: be responsible do everything in moderation – including energy drinks.

February 14, 2011 at 10:30 | Report abuse | Reply