home
RSS
FitFriday: 'Skinny Can' Diet Pepsi angers eating disorder activists
February 11th, 2011

FitFriday: 'Skinny Can' Diet Pepsi angers eating disorder activists

It's all about liquid diets this week.  A new Pepsi can is taking heat and a diet memoir by a pop star's boyfriend about losing 40 pounds while drinking every day is causing a stir. Has the dieting message gone too far?  Comment below.

Skinny can causes fat debate

Diet soda is getting a bad rap this week in health headlines.

But, there’s a different kind of controversy about the new Diet Pepsi, marketed in a slender, cylindrical can, which will make its debut at New York's Mercedes-Benz Fall Fashion Week, which began Thursday

This venue is “rife with eating disorders” said the National Eating Disorders association in a press release.

Pepsi refers to its new Skinny Can can as “taller,” “attractive,” and “stylish.”

“PepsiCo’s comments are both thoughtless and irresponsible,” said Lynn Grefe, the association’s president. “Their shameful misdirection is further exemplified by tying the launch of this offensive marketing campaign to Fashion Week, where women’s body types are atypical at best … and unhealthy as to be fatal at worst.”

Is its campaign offensive to you?

The Drunk Diet

Lady Gaga’s boyfriend has landed a dieting book deal, according to the New York Post. Lüc Carl will write about how he lost 40 pounds while drinking every day, based on his blog The Drunk Diet.

Don’t expect a how-to book, Carl, a bar owner, warns on his blog.

“After reading countless books and being told time after time that it’s impossible to lose weight while drinking alcohol heavily, Lüc Carl decided to take matters into his own hands. Join him on his journey to lose 40 pounds, without giving up his principles of being a hard drinking party maker,” according to his blog.

Exercise improves overweight kids’ math skills

Overweight children put on regular physical activity improved their math scores, according to a study published in Health Psychology.

A group of 171 overweight, sedentary kids were split into activity and non-activity groups.  Those who began to exercise scored higher on cognitive tests that measured planning and academic skills such as math and reading.

The magnetic resonance imaging also showed that the kids who exercised had increased brain activity in the area of the brain associated with complex thinking and decision making.

The more they exercised, the better the result, researchers at Georgia Health Sciences University found. The kids’ intelligence scores increased an average 3.8 points in those exercising 40 minutes per day after school for three months.

1. Valerie

Ok, so calling something, taller and more attractive is just stating the obvious.

NO ONE wants to be short, fat, or both!

February 11, 2011 at 17:31 | Report abuse | Reply
    • judith

I like the skinny can just don't like diet soda,,, the skinny can would be a great change for all the pepsi products, it has a nice fit in my hand... too bad they are limiting it to the diet! and you are right ,,,, no one wants to be short and fat,,, but then no one wants bad hair or skin or a life...but these writers have to think up something to blab about so we can all voice our opinions as if we make a difference! We don't.... lol.... oh well... be happy... life is short...

February 11, 2011 at 23:26 | Report abuse |
    • T3chsupport

Um... it's a can. Are you more attracted to this can? Do you want this can to have your babies? Do you secretly want to be this can?

February 12, 2011 at 12:53 | Report abuse |
    • GoodAdvice

Every time I smoke a Virginia Slim it angers me to no end!! Grrrr...I wish I was skinny like this tiny smoke. I'm starting up a war against slim cigarettes!

February 12, 2011 at 13:05 | Report abuse |
    • Happy Shorty

Um, I'm short, and perfectly happy with my height. And when I was drinking soda, I liked the little cans (are they 8oz?). That being said, I take no offense with the new marketing campaign. Only with your statement that "NO ONE wants to be short..."

February 12, 2011 at 13:25 | Report abuse |
    • evoc

The eating disorder people are touchy...they have issues. Wonder what they would say about a piece of string...

February 12, 2011 at 21:02 | Report abuse |
    • Blogs! Giving Idiots a Voice!

I hate the curiosity lead me to open this article...Because quite frankly, I can't believe that there's an organization that spends time fighting the 'Skinny' can. Yes. I'm sure that girl's eating disorder is because of the new Diet Pepsi can!

February 13, 2011 at 07:00 | Report abuse |
    • LG

Speak for yourself. Actually I would love to be shorter and heavier. I am 5'10, 120lbs. No curves no shape.

February 13, 2011 at 10:33 | Report abuse |
    • Susan

Excuse me, but as a woman I love being short! Believe it or not, but there are a lot of men both tall and short that like little women. No way I would want to be a tall woman. I see lots of advantages in my shorter than average stature.

February 13, 2011 at 12:33 | Report abuse |
    • John R

Geez, I really hate to take the side of any soda company, particularly Pepsi, but I remember quite well in the 1970's when the size of a soda can went from 8 oz to 10 oz...then came 7-11's Big Gulps, etc. Today, it's not at all unusual to go into any store and see soda cups the size of small paint buckets. The idea of going back to a smaller portion can...however it's marketed...isn't that a good thing??

February 13, 2011 at 13:35 | Report abuse |
    • calico

Instead of making the can taller, make the serving size smaller. That really is the real way to lose weight. How stupid are people?

And yes, I do think it's idiotic to keep pushing the "be as thin as possible" mentality on us. Americans already have a distorted body image. We spend billions a year on "diet" foods/plans/books, yet 50% of adult americans are overweight to obese. We have teens growing up hating their own bodies. Depending on which study you look at, up to 60% of teen girls have experienced eating disorder behavior at some point already. Do we really want yet another way to propagate the self-loathing unattainable-skinny ideas?

February 13, 2011 at 15:19 | Report abuse |
    • Justamom

No one wants to be short? Like you have a choice! Yes, it's just a can. Doesn't make you any less crass.

February 13, 2011 at 16:17 | Report abuse |
    • jocobo

So, who doesn't like a skinny can, especially one that's high and tight. Long legs....errr I digress.

February 13, 2011 at 19:07 | Report abuse |
    • lk

Exactly. First its a freakin can. Second short and obese isn't healthy or attractive. Obviously anorexia and bulimia isn't healthy either, but this country has "bigger" problems with obesity than the number of people with anorexia/bulimia. I don't think Pepsi redesigning the can and advertising it is going to make someone develop and eating disorder.

February 13, 2011 at 21:47 | Report abuse |
    • SkinnyCokeCan

Once again, Pepsi knocked off the real thing.... I have Diet Coke can that is tall and skinny, picked it up in Australia a few years back. Love the sleek thin look. As for the haters: It's a can man.

February 14, 2011 at 00:05 | Report abuse |
    • 2+2=5

I'd tap that.

February 14, 2011 at 08:19 | Report abuse |
    • Henry

Really? It's a can. It's a soda can for gods sake. Are we really so close to "jumping the shark" as a society/nation that we have to get all bent out of shape about the dimensions of a soda can? Very sad.

Reminds me when a health club took out a billboad add with a smiling outerspace alien face and the caption read: "when they come, they will eat the fat ones first!". Peopel went nuts over that. "Fat rights"(yes, there are groups who advocate the rights of the obese) were picketing outside the health club. Great free advertising for the gym owner and endless comedy for the rest of us.

Get over yourself. The "buzz" over any topic only exits if you particpate in it.

February 15, 2011 at 14:35 | Report abuse |
    • Justin

No one wants to be short and fat, but do you really want to be hairless and shiny?

February 16, 2011 at 09:44 | Report abuse |
  2. robert buss

this is going to far. don't let a bunch of bone heads dictate to you about peoples consumption of your product. i have been a loyal pepsi drinker for the better part of 35 years. as a matter of fact my friends and family will honestly tell you they would not recognize me without a can or bottle of pepsi in my hand. i usually will only go to restaurants and bars that have pepsi. if not i don't have soda, i have milk,beer or nothing. so what i am saying is LEAVE everything as is. it is up to the consumers themselves to govern themselves. please don't let a bunch of health nuts run the company. let them take care of themselves and i will take care of me and mine.

February 11, 2011 at 17:41 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Dave

robert buss is brought to you today by Pepsi®

Seriously, you may be addicted.

February 12, 2011 at 03:38 | Report abuse |
    • vickchick

You know some folks really do surf the internet to find something to gripe about. Why is everyone so offended because they are overweight. If its medical – see a doctor; if its greed – push bac from the table & exercise, If its mental – maybe you should see a therapist. I'm just saying....not to offend anyone. Pepsi – if it's legal and helps your business, go for it. People who are complaining probably don't drink diet sodas anyway.

February 12, 2011 at 14:54 | Report abuse |
    • Blondegeisha

remember the New Coke fiasco?

February 12, 2011 at 16:44 | Report abuse |
  3. robert buss

p.s. no i am not obese. f.y.i. nor am i lazy. i have a job and take care of my house and yard.

February 11, 2011 at 17:43 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jake

How do you define obese?

February 11, 2011 at 17:55 | Report abuse |
    • ApeHanger

The guy across the street has a job and takes care of his house and yard. He's also a fatty. Explain that.

February 12, 2011 at 11:42 | Report abuse |
    • hunnykins

I have known thinner folks who drank regular pepsi like water, my dad in law is one of them. He worked 40-60 hours per week, but he's retired now. He is a natural born handy man and home fix it guy. He is almost seventy, but he is still very trim and spry for his age. My mom in law is a very large woman, and she drinks only water or unsweetened iced tea. She keeps an immaculate house, though she is over sixty years old now. So they don't fit the stereotypes people imagine of them at all. My husband and I loved diet soda and used to drink several colas each per day. We both cut soda and drink only water, milk, tea and cofee. Soda just got too expensive and it seemed a waste to pay so much for something thats not good for us in the first place.

February 12, 2011 at 16:39 | Report abuse |
    • tinawhitfield

I do all that, work 12 hours a day as a high tech exe, go out in the evening and... work out 6 days a week outdoors or at the gym. I'm skinny, love it. If you're fat and complain about being to busy to be healthy and hot, it isn't Diet Pepsi's fault.

February 15, 2011 at 14:54 | Report abuse |
  4. armypilot

Our country has become so rife with whiners that it is embarrasing!

February 11, 2011 at 17:47 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Dan, Army vet

LOL, yeah tell me about it.

February 11, 2011 at 19:35 | Report abuse |
    • Mike Gee

quit your whining, soldier

February 12, 2011 at 00:40 | Report abuse |
    • P Ellen K

Absolutely. Everyone wants their 15 minutes, no 15 seconds, of fame and to be quoted in a sound bite nationally or on a viral youtube video.

February 12, 2011 at 11:16 | Report abuse |
    • Boogie

Well fat people don't want to take responsibility for their fat...so whining burns the only calories a fat person can burn....lol
      By the way I'm 80 pounds overweigth and was a bulimic for 14 years...but I AM RESPONSIBLE for my being fat...not the media, not my parents and not food. Fat is a sick disease and it looks and feels horrible...it is a slow death and should be not be coddled by fat people who want to justify being fat with bogus affirmations like BBW or fake self worth.
      We're killing ourselves and WORSE ,fat people are killing their own children by feeding them poison and whining about that too.

February 12, 2011 at 12:46 | Report abuse |
    • LG

Just wanted to point out armypilot, you are whining right now!

February 13, 2011 at 10:35 | Report abuse |
    • John R

Armypilot...you're right, though if it makes you feel any better...Canada where I'm originally from, or Europe, or Australia...it's the same thing there. The idea of changing the world (or just looking for self-validation of our own point of view) is so addictive, that people will sit on-line replying to articles all day long.

I think this is a generational fad...the current version of the hoola-hoop. In another 10 years, when everyone is so talked-out and realize how much time they've wasted, all for not...we'll either stop whining, or those of us like yourself, will just not read comments any more!

February 13, 2011 at 13:40 | Report abuse |
  5. Chris

seriously people its a CAN! Personally I think it does look good similar to a Red Bull and it does help differentiate their product (although it wont work in vending machines I would think).

It seems to me that way too many people spend way too much time trying to find as many obscure things to be "offended" by. Grow up

February 11, 2011 at 17:52 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Angela

I agree! It is a CAN of SODA and nothing more. To compare it to a human with "body issues" is the most rediculous thing I have ever heard. Just let it go everyone let's not overthing something so simplistic!

February 11, 2011 at 18:40 | Report abuse |
    • Heather

I totally agree. Sensitive much. Geesh. I am a size 12 and this can doesn't make me want to starve myself or throw up. People have way to much free time on there hands. Hello, we are at war right now who cares if pepsi comes up with a skinny can. I prefer it because i have small hands it seems like it would be easier to hold. People need to stop being so sensitive.

February 11, 2011 at 19:18 | Report abuse |
    • JRL

@Chris, and you, as well as others on here & in society in general live in your own world that doesn't have feelings, thoughts, opinions outside of your own, therefore it's stupid, doesn't make sense, etc..Most ppl even commenting on this are not even seeing all sides of this matter. To one person, it's just a stupid can, another idea etc. For the most part, I agree. For others though (whether you want to call them sensitive or not-whatever) but they have thoughts too. They might feel it's just another way of feeding into the obsession to be thin or nothing else. To fit into a box most can't type thing. No, something like this might not start an eating disorder or similar, but the whole timing & way they are advertising it (as this report doesn't say everything underneath) is what is wrong & is causing problems for many reasons.

February 12, 2011 at 04:49 | Report abuse |
    • ApeHanger

...the obsession to be thin...

It may be an obsession for some, but there's nothing healthy about being overweight. Fattys cost this country in many ways, not the least of which is dramatically higher health care costs. That has a ripple effect and we all end up paying for those who are frequent fliers at Booger King or McDonald's.

February 12, 2011 at 11:46 | Report abuse |
    • JRL

@ApeHanger concerning this, so basically what you're saying is that being overweight is worse than having any obsession to the point to where it could cause problems in your life or worse death? You obviously have no idea of the other side concerning eating disorders or bordering there and only see what you want, which is quite one-sided

February 12, 2011 at 13:27 | Report abuse |
    • Drew

No No we're all missing the point. Gaga's boyfriend!! We can drink as much booze as we want and still lose weight!

February 12, 2011 at 17:31 | Report abuse |
    • John R

Chris, thank you for your comment. Anyone angered over this - and those who are probably won't want to agree with me - are either:

1. Subconsciously feeling guilty. That's your own hangup. I empathize. I've been over-weight too. But it's still your issue, not Pepsi's.

2. Pepsi's job is to market it's products in a unique way. Curiously, any number of other products come in cans this size...Coke was selling it's product in a can this size. Pepsi is actually playing catch-up. And referring to the can in youthful tones...Pepsi has quite literally been marketing their products that way for decades. Look up a 1950's Pepsi ad. It's the exact same kind of "young, pretty people buy Pepsi" angle.

3. I mentioned this in another comment, but I remember when all soda was sold in 8 oz / 250mL cans...it then went to 10 oz, then 12 oz. In the early 1980's, some people complained about the size of soda containers. Little did they know how large they'd become. Have you seen the size of a soda cup at Circle K, 7-ll or even your local baseball stadium?? Personally, I welcome smaller soda portion sizes, and I'm surprised more people aren't happy about this.

February 13, 2011 at 13:48 | Report abuse |
    • Dave

Seriously Chris, it's NOT just a can. Really, Chris, there's more to it than just your point of view. The world actually is bigger than that, like it or not.
      The can is an instance of a very long and intense effort on the part of someone who has his/her own interest in mind and not yours – perhaps despite yours. Someone who is doing everything mind and money can produce. Doing whatever can be dreamed up – or get you to dream – to get you and me to do what we would otherwise not do.
      Your world and mine is so massively driven by the engines of illusion, suggestion, misperception, and too often willing delusion, that we don't notice anymore. We don't recognize the can and all such things as more than "just a can."
      Chris, one our largest industries is at work night and day trying to get you and me to think what they would have us think rather than what we otherwise might, regardless of which is truly better for you or me. They do this for no other reason than that it is profitable. Profit can sometimes not be such a perfectly nice word. When the crap in that can is not good for your larger life, the word is not nice. When the effect of that can is to get you to drink (actually they don't care what you do with it as long as you buy it) more of that crap the word is even less nice.

February 13, 2011 at 16:15 | Report abuse |
    • J.B.B.

Amen Chris! C'mon people: get "offended by" - and DO something about - IMPORTANT things! It's just a can for cryin' out loud.

February 24, 2011 at 23:21 | Report abuse |
  6. Public Enemy Number 2

Seriously?

Lynn Grefe needs worry about actual eating disorders and not the shape of a damn soda can.

February 11, 2011 at 17:54 | Report abuse | Reply
    • JRL

-and you obviously know nothing about her..

February 12, 2011 at 04:50 | Report abuse |
  7. samiam

the new can looks good, get over it! why are people making a big deal out of nothing? by the way, 7-up already sells theirs in taller, thinner plastic bottles.

February 11, 2011 at 17:54 | Report abuse | Reply
    • JRL

yeah but they didn't promote or advertise it in an inappropriate way or poorly timing either. To compare this whole idea with other things, doesn't work for the most part. Red bull doesn't promote an idea of the way they are, nor did they come up with can lk that for such reasons. Other sizes of drinks, skinny coffee, is same way, as it's offered but not inappropriately promoted. Again, though I'm not going to waste a whole lot of time about arguing about a can size as again, not what this is about but about thinking about other ppl outside yourself and how it could affect them. Just because it wouldn't me or you, doesn't mean it wouldn't someone else.

February 12, 2011 at 04:55 | Report abuse |
    • ApeHanger

Pointing out the obvious isn't inappropriate. I'm guessing that most here who are complaining about Pepsi's new can design are themselves carrying too much in the "can." How about spending less time kvetching about a soda can and more time taking a critical look at yourself before a mirror.

February 12, 2011 at 11:48 | Report abuse |
    • rithinker

JRL-Pepsi has done nothing wrong here-it is a reality check-the shape and description of a sode can IS NOT going to influence a young teen-It is a SODA CAN! Anorexia and Bulemia are NOT the rsult of a soda can.

February 12, 2011 at 12:35 | Report abuse |
    • JRL

@ApeHanger, and you are only thinking of how you perceive this & nothing more concerning all your comments.
      @rithinker, you obviously didn't read all my comments as the can itself cannot cause eating disorders. The way it's being promoted (with not everything being stated in this report) is what is wrong & why some could perceive it the wrong way.
      Generally speaking, some ppl seriously need to stop looking at the world & ppl too with only one lens.

February 12, 2011 at 13:34 | Report abuse |
    • hunnykins

A previous, fuller length article about this subject on CNN mentioned that Pepsico reassured the public that the older style, traditional cans will still remain on the market. The wording made it sound as though Pepsi was keeping the older style cans as a courtesy to consumers. But it occurred to me that if they eliminated the traditional can, they would have to redo all of their vending machines. I think this whole "new can" thing is only a publicity stunt as it coincides with fashion week – skinny models, skinny can. Goofy. But the soda will probably chill faster in the narrower can.

February 12, 2011 at 16:52 | Report abuse |
  8. trek909

I cant believe CNN is reporting on this. Isn't there enough news? Giving this story a voice is shameful..

February 11, 2011 at 17:58 | Report abuse | Reply
    • StaceyFLNative

Has CNN said anything about how many of our Soldiers have been killed in total lately? Or how many of them are disabled coming home from WAR....oh, I forgot I guess thats not important anymore.

February 11, 2011 at 22:44 | Report abuse |
    • ancora

I don't usually expect to read newsworthy things when reading a blog.

February 11, 2011 at 23:27 | Report abuse |
    • imrose

If it's so shameful why did you take the time to read it and then comment on it?

February 12, 2011 at 11:24 | Report abuse |
  9. Lee

I see women all over the country looking at a Pepsi can and thinking how unfair it is that they cannot be that skinny. Granted if they were as skinny as a normal Pepsi can they would be dead... I have it, make the cans freaking huge, like a beer party keg and then people can drink themselves into oblivion without feeling all the skinny can pressure. Super-sizing things and eating too much never leads to an eating disorder.However, I have too say if a skinny can makes you have an eating disorder you had to be looking for that one last straw of excuse to push you over the edge.

February 11, 2011 at 18:10 | Report abuse | Reply
    • LEB

But... but... the can makes me wish that I was cylindrical and the same diameter everywhere! It's another unrealistic idealization of the female figure!

*sniff* And I'll never have metallic skin, either. *sniff*

February 11, 2011 at 18:57 | Report abuse |
    • xena

"Super-sizing things and eating too much never leads to an eating disorder."

Of course it does... it's called binge eating. Doesn't necessarily have to come with purging afterwards. Fat people and skinny people alike can have eating disorders.

February 11, 2011 at 21:33 | Report abuse |
    • Tony

Dear Xena,

They were being sarcastic. We all agree that a pepsi can the size of a keg is a bad idea, and that super-sizing leads to eating issues.

Love,

Everyone

February 11, 2011 at 23:22 | Report abuse |
    • JRL

It can't tbh; eating disorders are much deeper in more ways than one. The first part of what you said, though would be nice, but so many ppl that could go either way in developing an eating disorder, can't differentiate okay I know they meant nothing bad by promoting this idea of a 'skinny' can rather than just promoting another can look. That's what other companies have done. It's like just another idea in this whole weight obsession crap, to make money regardless of how it could come across to some.

February 12, 2011 at 05:02 | Report abuse |
  10. Clete

Wow! Lose 40lbs sleeping with a trany...sounds like an eating disorder.

February 11, 2011 at 18:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Edwin

Lynn Grefe needs to get laid.

February 11, 2011 at 18:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. micheleo

Seriously... OMG... offensive because it's being debuted at Fashion Week??? where people have eating disorders??? What? The can is going to throw them over the edge?? What about the size negative clothing they wear. That might be the reason they have eating disorders!! Laughable. Leave the can along. (By the way, I'm 5'9" and about 115 lbs. I'm don't have an eating disorder and I'm not offended. I may go throw up now though.) sniff ~ sniff ~

February 11, 2011 at 18:11 | Report abuse | Reply
    • JRL

nicely done, as a lot of ppl on this matter, for absolutely no consideration of others or for that matter ppl that might have, had or possibly on the line with eating disorders.

February 12, 2011 at 05:15 | Report abuse |
  13. smasheduprr

The problem is people think fat and skinny are how you classify people in some sort of weird polarizing way but in reality being unhealthily fat or unhealthily skinny is not what "attractive" people are, they are people who have low body fat and well defined musculature from resistance training. Not eating to the point where you are bone or giving up and becoming morbidly obese because you think that being anorexic and being in shape are in any way the same is why we have two terrible subsets of eating disorders in this country.

February 11, 2011 at 18:18 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Sporky

Thank you for being the only rational person on the comments!

February 11, 2011 at 23:27 | Report abuse |
    • JRL

agree with sporky on this as well. Very few comments on here with much thought about the matter or for thinking of others on this

February 12, 2011 at 05:17 | Report abuse |
    • Regina Drahnak

Actually, your comments are offensive. You classify attractive people as only those people who are in good shape because they work out. How narrow-minded. You also seem to think that everyone who is over or under weight has an eating disorder. This is some of the thinking that pushes people to eating disorders. People are over and under weight for a wide variety of reasons, some related to eating disorders, some due to medical issues, some for other reasons. A person does not always have full control over how their body's metabolism works. In addition, some cannot work out due to medical problems. The new Pepsi cans are nice, but their comments in that venue with that timing are ill-considered. People are the sum of their parts – not just how their musculoskeletal system looks on the outside.

February 12, 2011 at 09:01 | Report abuse |
    • JRL

@Regina, tks for bringing a lot of things that might that be misunderstood by smashedpurr's comments. I think some ppl genuinely want to understand & not be quite selfish like some on here with this issue, but may not go about it the exact, right way. Sometimes wording isn't the best, like with this idea, and could be taken the wrong way easily

February 12, 2011 at 13:40 | Report abuse |
    • smasheduprr

Regina, let me clarify that there isn't some greek-statue-like subset of people with perfect figures who make up the only healthy part of the population. However, you are trivializing eating disorders by acting as though exposure to fit people the only cause of anorexia or bulimia or over eating. Similarly, eating unhealthily may not always be an eating disorder (in the sense of the psychological issues) but when it gets to a point where someone is morbidly obese due to their diet and unable to change, there is something going on. This isn't about passing judgement, nor is defining health as a narrow minded view of statuesque figures. However, it is worth pointing out that many people believe that when they see a fit person in a magazine that they are fit because they are "skinny" but more often than not, the fit person has low body fat but is not "skinny" in the sense that all they do is count calories and pray the scale goes down each week before giving up on their unhealthy "diet" prematurely. They likely engage in a lot of healthy activities (not just endless amounts of so-so cardio work but resistance training with weights or something that equally engages muscles but in a less abstract way then pumping iron) and have a healthy diet that doesn't focus on minimizing calories but rather content of the calories they take in.

A diet shouldn't be a quick fix or a passing fad, it should be the content of the majority of the food you eat and the goal shouldn't be losing pounds until you disappear, it should be about maintaining nutrition in a sustainable way (a way in which you don't give up after 2 weeks because you consider it "torture"). There is a lot more to health than that and although there is wiggle room for body types and the like, ultimately my only point is that the interpretation of "healthy" that many people have is overly simplified to skinniness or number of pounds (lower = better). This is ignorant and leaves people either becoming at worst anorexic/bulimic and trying to be the least number of pounds or just throwing in the towel and eating whatever they want because the numbers aren't matching up when they eat healthily despite the fact they are actually getting healthier, forget the "numbers".

Thanks to everyone who liked my comment. I hope this post clarifies my point.

February 13, 2011 at 13:59 | Report abuse |
    • I'm Listening

Great, sound, thinking smasheduprr. Too bad you have to explain yourself. Unfortunately we are a society of soundbytes. A huge majority of us can't handle well, thoughtout dissertations.

February 15, 2011 at 13:25 | Report abuse |
  14. Lemme GoHome

"The kids’ intelligence scores increased an average 3.8 points in those exercising 40 minutes per day after school... " They studied extra hard so they could get away from the forced P.T. and back to the baseball diamond.

February 11, 2011 at 18:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. J_J

If you do not like the can, then do not buy it!

February 11, 2011 at 18:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. stupid

Only stupid people would be offended by this.

February 11, 2011 at 18:32 | Report abuse | Reply
    • jess

amen to that...if the mere view of the can can make you lose it.....god help ya, you're a mess, and life for you must be hellish.

February 13, 2011 at 14:51 | Report abuse |
  17. dea

I am sorry, really sorry that I wasted my time reading this article. What a bunch of whiners.

February 11, 2011 at 18:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Angela

OMG! All the other soda cans will be so freaking envious! LOL!

February 11, 2011 at 18:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. jt

It's a frikkin CAN!

February 11, 2011 at 18:48 | Report abuse | Reply
    • jess

OMG..roflmao!! so simple and to the funny as hell point...ty for the goodbelly laugh!

February 13, 2011 at 14:56 | Report abuse |
  20. James I. Mealy

It's a can for Chrise sakes. A picture of a skinny can made me fat and hate myself. Baloney.

February 11, 2011 at 18:51 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Andre

anorexic chicks are hot!!!

February 11, 2011 at 19:06 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Trixie

Andre, how "hot" do you think they are when their bodies succomb to the disease and they die? I am sure their families and friends would be so impressed with your humanity.

February 11, 2011 at 20:11 | Report abuse |
    • Moonbeam

I'm sure Andre is being sarcastic.

February 12, 2011 at 04:40 | Report abuse |
    • JRL

@Trixie with this, very true & one of the wiser ppl knowing this issue
      @Moonbeam, I'm a very sarcastic person, so much so, it gets me in trouble sometimes; but honestly, when it's a very detreimental topic when speaking of anorexia in itself, unless you've known someone or struggled yourself, you know it's not a joking or even half joking matter. On this topic, sometimes ppl don't know what to say, so sarcasm is used, but it's just not best on this topic is all

February 12, 2011 at 05:21 | Report abuse |
    • TJ

Thanks, I'll tell my dead sister that you think she's hot. She died after subjecting her body to over 10 years of torture from a combination of anorexia and bulimia. Yes, she had her own personal issues. But it's awfully hard to get over issues when the message that's sent out over and over and over is that thinner is better. (Or maybe that "anorexic chicks are hot"?) Did a product packaging kill her? Nope. But the overwhelming message that taller and thinner is better and that's how your worth is determined in society certainly was complicit in the fact that she is no longer alive.

February 16, 2011 at 12:25 | Report abuse |
  22. ronnie

Didn't they just say diet soda causes cancer ? Pepsi taste bad to begin with ~

February 11, 2011 at 19:20 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Eric Scott

I know it's "Just a Can", but then why is it that only the DIET Pepsi is getting the slimmed down version? Does it work on a psychological level? Regular Pepsi=Fatty – Diet Pepsi=Skinny. What's next? A six foot can the diameter of a straw? That should feel right at home at Fashion week. ;8^)

February 11, 2011 at 19:28 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Neil Schubert

What does the can have to do with eating disorders? It's a skinny can. Is there anything wrong with being skinny? People in the media in particular have a problem. They whine about fat people, they whine about people with eating disorders. People should eat what they want to eat and drink what they want to drink, it is a free country. Most people know if they are too fat or too skinny. I personally think that "eating disorder" is really an over used term. There are extreme cases of being too fat or skinny to the bone, but a majority of eating disorders are fake or exagerated. The whole thing is another example of how psychology is not a science and should not be applied as such.

For heaven's sake, its a freakin' can. I drink soda out of a 2 liter. Does that mean I am fat and tall? Give it up. It looks like a tall can of beer. I don't like the idea because they tip over easy. It would be really cool if Pepsi made an extra tall can of diet pepsi or pepsi max. I REALLY LIKE their throwback pepsi and the mountain dew and wish they would sell it all year.

My question is does it have the same amount of soda that the normal can has? They make these for energy drinks. It's diet soda. Maybe it would be cool in certain locations like a gym or athletic club, or maybe even at bars. But it won't fit in a soda machine. And that in itself makes it cool but useless.

February 11, 2011 at 19:47 | Report abuse | Reply
    • JRL

@Neil, please leave eating disorders off topic since you don't know anything of what you are talking about in regards to that. I swear, I wish people wouldn't say anything at all concerning topics they know little to nothing about. Otherwise you will come off looking like a complete idiot or disrespectful towards the problem & persons dealing with the issue you don't even know, much less understand to begin with.

February 12, 2011 at 04:18 | Report abuse |
  25. SD Mom

I think the can is fine since if you are willing to consume pure chemicals in order to avoid the calories in regular soda, you are probably wishfully thinking that you want to be skinny anyway. If you are health conscious, there are many better choices than any diet soda. Eating disorders are a problem, but a can of diet soda isn't going to make that much difference one way or the other anymore than an easier to open screw-top wine bottle is going to encourage an alcoholic to drink more. The problem already exists, and new packaging of a product that may be harmful to some people is not going to have very much impact one way or the other.

February 11, 2011 at 19:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. Quizzle

This is hilarious! If you relate your body to a can, you have body image issues to begin with. Did anyone complain that companies were encouraging obesity when the short half-size cans came out?

February 11, 2011 at 20:15 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. Joe

Oh My God!! GET A FRIGGIN LIFE!!!! This is the most frivolous bull**** complaint I think I've ever heard. I am an obese person, and I certainly don't give a rats rearend how they package their soda. If someone is offended by the shape of a can, they have bigger problems than just eating disorders.

February 11, 2011 at 20:29 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Kristina

I TOTALLY agree with you. I'm not skinny, im considered obese because of what I weigh....but I really dont care how they package their product. Weather its diet soda, or not...its SODA and its in a CAN. I've heard other companies say the same thing "Slender, taller.." ect and people are only getting mad cause pepsi is doing it with a "diet" drink.

February 12, 2011 at 02:27 | Report abuse |
    • jess

Amen bro, people here are getting wayyyy to serious about this, it is only a frikkin can...talk about making a mountain out of a mole hill.....but I must admit, reading this stuff is sure worth it's weight in laughs!!

February 13, 2011 at 15:21 | Report abuse |
  28. Ben G.

I feel nauseous just *thinking* about drinking diet Pepsi for that many consecutive days.

February 11, 2011 at 20:45 | Report abuse | Reply
  29. Steven

Oh my god, why is everyone so sensitive to EVERYTHING? Red Bull has been in cans like this since it has been on the market but I haven't heard anything about that. Sometimes even old standbys have to try something new instead of being static.

It's called marketing get over it.

February 11, 2011 at 20:46 | Report abuse | Reply
    • PML

I find this coversation humerous. Beer was marketed in the 60s -80s in a slim can because it was easier for women to hold. Also, Red Bull was the product name of a Schlitz Malt Liquor. A different type of "Energy" drink. LOL

February 13, 2011 at 05:36 | Report abuse |
  30. cmnsense

If a population is seriously offended by this (use of the word 'skinny'), maybe it's because they legitimately have a problem or condition they need to address.

February 11, 2011 at 21:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  31. Pathetic Whining

TSIA

February 11, 2011 at 21:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. Jam

Wow I don't know what to say on this one.I don't drink that much soda and diet is nasty.I do know if your overweight diet soda is that last thing you should be drinking.Diet soda isnt going to keep the weight off if your skinny although i dont see the problem with a new can or where they promote it.If you got a problem with eating disorders there are better places to spend your energy.

February 11, 2011 at 21:49 | Report abuse | Reply
  33. Disgruntledgirl

Blah blah blah – activists need to be chased by bears more often. Did ya hear – there's a watch dog group cracking down on politicians that sleep in their office instead of expensive hotels in the DC area. Price any hotel near the White House on any given day. That could be your tax dollars and yet these turkeys want to punish politicians for actually saving a buck?
    I also own a pit bull so I've had my fill of activists. Even PETA says all dogs have a right to live – except pitbulls. Search it up.
    In my experience as a woman, sometimes it seems a guy can lose weight by simply saying "I'm going to lose weight."
    Jerks.
    Who's with me, ladies!? We need to arrest men's metabolisms for going too fast! (Ok now i'm being silly)

February 11, 2011 at 22:05 | Report abuse | Reply
  34. celisti

there's nothing wrong with the slander can, but something wrong with people who actually drink pepci or any pop regularly, diet one or not. do you ever notice that those people who drink pop often are often overweight or obese or with fat stomach. so, if people want to get healthier or weight less, then just stop drinking any pop, not even diet ones!

February 11, 2011 at 22:28 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Kristina

I disagree with you. Just because someone is of the larger size, doesnt mean its from soda. Yes, soda has a lot of carbs. But these people of larger size could be eating things more unhealthy than soda every day. Or they could have a medical problem that prevents them from being able to move around a lot to work off some of that weight, or they may just have a medical problem that causes them to be bigger. Its not just soda.

February 12, 2011 at 02:30 | Report abuse |
  35. mac

I am not a politically correct type and if THEY find a skinny can offensive THEY arent going to like this either
    why should a corporation or anybody for that matter bow down to THOSE that have MENTAL HEALTH ISSUES that can be dealt with providing THEY want to deal with them stop moan & groaning and drink a beer out of a BIG MOUTH bottle
    AND GO TO REHAB OR OA MEETINGS

February 11, 2011 at 22:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. Name

This kind of can has been used in countries that aren't America for a while, to sell both diet and non-diet beverages. It's not a new or original design by any means, pepsi just done goofed by marketing it wrong in front of people who get offended too easlty.

February 11, 2011 at 22:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  37. eduardz

I'll bet Lynn Grefe also still uses those fat pencils like they give kids in kindergarten. I'll also bet that she also likes those half size cans that they peddle Coke in nowadays. That shape probably becomes her.

February 12, 2011 at 00:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  38. Feezdog85

Really...no different than putting potato chips in a can..? Relax people...figure it out! M&M's aren't the size of marshmellow's.

February 12, 2011 at 00:09 | Report abuse | Reply
  39. dalis

Give me a break! Your psyche is so fragile that a skinny/slender/thin/slim/lanky pop can makes you feel inadequate!? Hello, you are the one with the disorder, so this is your disorder talking. This is your wake-up call that if the pop cans are hurting your feelings, you need professional help. We shouldn't let alcoholics design liquor bottles, and we shouldn't let those with eating disorders design the pop cans.

February 12, 2011 at 00:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  40. charl

But they took the rib marks off the can, and it no longer vomits. I saw a fat guy with a "I beat bulimia shirt" and nobody bothered him..

February 12, 2011 at 01:01 | Report abuse | Reply
  41. charl

That can makes me want to toss my cookies and show some ribs. Plus it clears up the vomit breath.

February 12, 2011 at 01:03 | Report abuse | Reply
  42. fireybuddha

diet p's trying to look like red bull. it doesn't matter what shape/name of the can – the stuff is poisonous crap. don't drink it!

February 12, 2011 at 01:15 | Report abuse | Reply
    • fireybuddha

it's kinda like worrying about how to dress up a rotting corpse – the blue dress or the pink one?

February 12, 2011 at 01:15 | Report abuse |
  43. jeff

The shape of the can is a poor utilization of resources. It requires more aluminum to hold a given amount of liquid than a shorter, fatter can. For a given metal thickness the amount of metal required to make a can is a function of its surface area. That's why most metal cans have approximately the same height to width ratio – to maximize the volume for a given surface area. This exercise appears in most first year calculus textbooks.

February 12, 2011 at 01:40 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Carz

They must expect to make up the money that they put into the expensive cans with increased sales. They wouldn't bother doing it if they didn't think they could make more money.

February 12, 2011 at 15:05 | Report abuse |
  44. Ncoclub

My worry is that the tall, skinny can will tip over a lot easier when put in a standard car cup holder.

February 12, 2011 at 01:45 | Report abuse | Reply
    • dalis

Women drivers, always tipping over their skinny pop cans!

February 12, 2011 at 01:52 | Report abuse |
    • Kristina

lol, so funny.

February 12, 2011 at 02:32 | Report abuse |
  45. Lapinski

Angry activists, like that's new.

February 12, 2011 at 02:15 | Report abuse | Reply
  46. Kristina

People here are saying how horrible soda is and what not. The fact is, everything is bad for us. I dont care if its soda, an apple, water or whatever. Everything is bad for us. Something will make us sick. But this is a CAN that resembles red bull. Who gives a rats butt if its smaller. The fact is, diet pepsi is nasty. People are going to drink what they want to drink and eat what they want to eat. So get the heck over it! Dont people have more to worry about in this world then a soda can?

February 12, 2011 at 02:36 | Report abuse | Reply
  47. grofys

are we so affected by soda cans and pop stars' boyfriends? who has time to be bothered by these things?

February 12, 2011 at 02:40 | Report abuse | Reply
  48. Mrs. M.

I don't find the new Pepsi can ad offensive, just extraordinarily STUPID. There's nothing wrong with using the word "skinny" to describe the new shape of the can. After all, there are only so many words that mean "less in diameter.) But, the words "attractive" and "stylish" just can't be applied to a soda can, at least not without being STUPID. Obviously, the words they chose to use were intended to tie in with the timing of the launch of their new ad campaign. All I can say about the direction of their ad campaign is that there must've been a man behind it. As far as the can is concerned, it is not going to fit into any standard size cup holder. And, as soon as people start seeing how easy the can spills (dumping soda all over their clean auto interior) they'll lose such significant sales that Pepsi will crush the new "skinny" can.

February 12, 2011 at 02:45 | Report abuse | Reply
  49. Mrs. M.

Regarding the "Drunk Diet" – I know it works. I just didn't know any publisher would find stupidity worthwhile to publish. Anyway, during my early 20's, I drank a 12-pack of Michelob (not light) every single evening and danced from about 9 p.m. until 2 a.m. or 3 a.m. (when the bar closed.) I never weighed myself before or after. But, I was definitely down by at least 30 to 40 lbs. I just don't see how anyone can make a book out of what takes a few sentences to detail.

February 12, 2011 at 02:51 | Report abuse | Reply
  50. Dave

Luc Carl makes me ashamed to be an Omahan, and should probably grow up. Perhaps laying off the sauce for a moment might make him rethink a few things in his life.

February 12, 2011 at 03:41 | Report abuse | Reply