home
RSS
Are you moving yet?
February 9th, 2011

Are you moving yet?

A year after launching an effort to reduce childhood obesity called “Let’s Move!” first lady Michelle Obama is out promoting the nationwide efforts for healthier living and more active lifestyle this week.

Read Obama's blog post on The Chart

Walmart announced in partnership with the program that it will sell healthier, affordable products – reformulating foods to eliminate all trans-fats, reduce sodium in foods such as deli meats and salad dressing by 25 percent, and added sugars by 10 percent.

Late in 2010, the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010 was passed, giving the federal government greater authority to set nutritional standards for foods sold in vending machines and school.

Obama has planted a veggie garden at the White House, bringing local school children for the harvest.  She urged restaurants to make their foods healthier and reduce portion sizes.

She rallied mayors, chefs, schools and even the military touting more active lifestyles and healthier diets.  The effort has not been without controversy, however, as Sarah Palin accused her of invading personal choices.

1. VinoBianco

Only Sarah Palin would find a way to criticize something so positive as making kids have healthier lifestyles.

February 9, 2011 at 10:58 | Report abuse | Reply

I agree – only Palin. I suppose she's in favor of allowing kids to have a choice as to whether they have access to other hazards as well. Following Palins form of anti-logic "forcing" kids not to look both ways before crossing the street would amount to "invading their personal choice." What a "choice" candidate for president she would make.

February 9, 2011 at 12:26 | Report abuse |
  2. Diana

With the soaring rates of obesity in this country, obviously a large percentage of people in this country make awful personal choices regarding their health. Providing nutritional information, better ingredients, smart food choice information and normal portion sized entrees at restaurants are not invading our personal choices. Sarah Palin will oppose anything that could actually benefit and help the American people in terms of getting the good food we deserve without the massive amounts of sodium, HFCS and other preservatives that are poisons to the human body!

February 9, 2011 at 11:20 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Loren

Yo, that\'s what\'s up truhtfully.

December 25, 2011 at 06:21 | Report abuse |
    • mmlczfnno

3Y32I1 tvdlpaxaizhd

December 25, 2011 at 10:57 | Report abuse |
    • yapwzitg

YZuxlo glxfkggzrphb

December 28, 2011 at 07:17 | Report abuse |
  3. FirstResponder

Nice photo op – but why did they pick a healthy-looking non-obese kid for the picture? Surely he is in the minority from what I have seen on the streets of our cities. And most of the kids I see at the mall couldn't run ten feet to a pool if their pants were on fire.

February 9, 2011 at 11:20 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Bill

I am moving. I started with Michelle's advice and had a Super Bowl feast with Shrimp, Crad, Gondolas, Chips and Dip, and Deep Dish Pizza. Seriously though, the Hunger Free Act is a useless peice of information as children wiill just starve at school and wait until they get home. i would rather my child eat pizza than starve because someone decided he should eat what they want instead of him making his own decisions.

February 9, 2011 at 11:37 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Anongirl30

Food can taste good and be healthy at the same time, you know. That's what we should be teaching children.

February 9, 2011 at 11:58 | Report abuse |
  5. Odalice yolanda feliz

omg I think is a great Idea Michelle Obama is helping the youth in loosing weight and eating healthy....I work at Publix and I'm happy to see moms buy healthy food for there kids instead of junk food, which are high in fatties and sugar and oil.

February 9, 2011 at 11:57 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Matt

You cannot be at your best without eating healthy. If we have a nation of people fueling themselves with garbage, we are going to take a back seat to some of these other countries that eat natural foods and can control their portions. I am 100% on board wtih what the Obamas are doing. Making a change when it comes to something like this has to start from the top. If everyone starts eating healthy, people will be less sick, less overweight, and the cost of natural foods will come down as it will be in higher demand.

February 9, 2011 at 12:09 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Ruth

True but don't take it to extremes. I eat very healthy but allow myself to "sin" a little bit so I don't completely fall off the wagon.

February 9, 2011 at 13:12 | Report abuse |
  7. Ruth

Last nigt I did a Zumba class followed by Salsa and the Swing dancing.

February 9, 2011 at 13:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Lincoln Brigham

Children by definition are not fully qualified to make decisions for themselves. If they were, they'd be called adults.

February 9, 2011 at 14:33 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Leila H

My son will start kindergarten next year in a GA public school. He will only get 25 minutes recess a day (between 8:00AM to 3:30PM). Apparently, he's lucky to be in a good school, actually the best public school in Atlanta The State of GA is trying to bring recess time to 15 minutes. Others public schools in GA only get 15 to 20 minutes recess, others have recess only every other day and finally some schools have no recess at all. This is beyond my understanding! At a time that everybody is concerned with obesity, allergies, and ADHD, I would think that the State of GA will push for more recess rather than less. The main concern apparently these days is that kids rank high at the tests! As if cutting time out will help test results.

May 5, 2011 at 23:58 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. free cars games

I fond of play car games.

May 15, 2014 at 11:40 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. car ride games

I love car games for girls.

May 15, 2014 at 11:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. car games for girls

I love girl car games.

May 16, 2014 at 11:51 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. takeaway in Mildenhall

Today, there are many online source are available to
    provide the Caribbean Food. Both these factors have a huge influence on the productivity
    of the ocean, and the species of marine fauna that it is
    able to support. Other parks near the city include the Dilkusha Park, Globe Park and the
    Haathi Park along with the Begum Hazrat Mahal Park, Mukherjee Phuhaas, Neebu Park and Buddha Park.

March 22, 2015 at 20:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. vreyrolinomit

I have been exploring for a little for any high-quality articles or blog posts on this sort of area . Exploring in Yahoo I at last stumbled upon this site. Reading this information So i am happy to convey that I've an incredibly good uncanny feeling I discovered just what I needed. I most certainly will make sure to do not forget this site and give it a look regularly.

December 31, 2020 at 14:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Willis Mullenax

January 15, 2021 at 20:37 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Salley Ozment

January 21, 2021 at 07:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Sixta Kub

I loved as much as you will receive carried out right here. The sketch is tasteful, your authored material stylish. nonetheless, you command get bought an edginess over that you wish be delivering the following. unwell unquestionably come more formerly again since exactly the same nearly a lot often inside case you shield this hike.

January 28, 2021 at 22:32 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. froleprotrem

A person necessarily help to make critically articles I might state. This is the very first time I frequented your website page and so far? I surprised with the research you made to make this particular put up amazing. Magnificent activity!

February 6, 2021 at 15:34 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. https://europa-road.eu/hu/nemzetkozi-fuvarozas-szekesfehervar.php

I real thankful to find this web site on bing, just what I was looking for : D too saved to favorites.

February 9, 2021 at 04:40 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Cardiff House Clearance

Thanks for the post, is there any way I can receive an alert email whenever there is a new update?

February 9, 2021 at 07:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. zortilo nrel

You really make it appear really easy together with your presentation but I find this matter to be really one thing that I believe I might never understand. It kind of feels too complicated and extremely huge for me. I am looking ahead in your subsequent post, I’ll try to get the cling of it!

February 11, 2021 at 12:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. vreyro linomit

I really appreciate this post. I have been looking all over for this! Thank goodness I found it on Bing. You have made my day! Thanks again

February 26, 2021 at 08:32 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. ClarkTauts

x4150 p9iqa l8rg

February 28, 2021 at 22:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. frolep rotrem

It’s hard to find knowledgeable people on this topic, but you sound like you know what you’re talking about! Thanks

March 1, 2021 at 06:42 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. caranddriver

Wow! This blog looks just like my old one! It's on a entirely different subject but it has pretty much the same layout and design. Superb choice of colors!

Feel free to visit my website caranddriver

April 16, 2021 at 05:44 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. http://zanderbrhan.tblogz.com

When someone writes an post he/she retains the plan of a user in his/her mind that how a user can be aware of it.

Thus that's why this article is great. Thanks!

April 29, 2021 at 12:48 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. stornobrzinol

Hi there! This post couldn’t be written any better! Reading through this post reminds me of my previous room mate! He always kept talking about this. I will forward this article to him. Pretty sure he will have a good read. Thank you for sharing!

May 13, 2021 at 13:13 | Report abuse | Reply