home
RSS
January 28th, 2011

FitFriday: Foods to make you full, heated obesity theory and death of a fitness legend

Scientists for a major food company are designing foods  to make you stop eating. And speaking of man-made inventions, indoor heating could be making us a little too warm and fat, hypothesizes one study.

Last but not least, fitness guru and a man before his time, Jack  LaLanne died Sunday at the age of 96.

Foods that make you feel fuller

One of the world's largest food companies is engineering products to make people feel fuller longer, reports the Wall Street Journal.

Nestle is hoping to “decipher the language of satiety” to make foods that fill you up quicker and make you feel full longer, according to the Journal.

The company’s food scientists have built a machine to mimic the human gastrointestional tract.  They’ve done experiments, adding a compound called monoglyceride in olive oil, which made it harder for the stomach to digest. It took the machine stomach eight times longer to digest the olive oil-monoglyceride combo, meaning it could trick the human brain to think it was full.

More about the mechanical stomach and brain-trick foods

Central heating a cause of obesity?

Could  indoor heating contribute to rising obesity? A paper published in the journal Obesity Review poses this theory.

When it's cold, we shiver. It forces the body to work harder to warm itself and burn calories.

Plus, humans have brown adipose tissue – known as brown fat – which burns excess energy instead of storing it.  Recent studies suggest that brown fat could break down in warm condition.

So if we're sitting indoors all the time and less exposed to the cold, that could mean, “we're burning less energy. This could have an impact on energy balance and ultimately have an impact on body weight and obesity,” said author Dr. Fiona Johnson of University College London.

Read more here

Fitness legend dies at age 96

Fitness icon Jack LaLanne died Sunday.  LaLanne spent decades talking about the healthful benefits of exercise and fitness. He opened his own health spa in California in 1936, years before the fitness craze swept the United States.

“Maybe it was his ‘American’ sensibility - the can-do attitude, the upbeat affability, even his fun sense of entrepreneurism,” writes one CNN contributor. Richard Simmons called him a hero.

He designed the world's first leg-extension machine, along with several other pieces of fitness equipment now standard in the fitness industry.

1. Rapturus

Let me pose this, if someone has a messed up back from a ruptured disc, even 1.5 years after surgery, SHIVERING HURTS! I've had a nightmare in which I was shivering, woke up shivering and was in so much pain I was unable to move. Aside from the fact I don't feel cold like normal people and can walk out in 30 degree temps and not feel cold. I know I'm not the only person like this, especially among the autism community

January 28, 2011 at 17:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Celeste

In college I worked outside fueling and loading planes for the airlines. I spent my fair share of time out shivering in the Midwest winter cold with below zero wind chills. Not to mention it was a physically demanding job. I can tell you it did not help me lose weight. If anything I lost weight after I quit that job, because I didn't come home every day so tired with incredible back and muscle pain and unable to move from the couch, I was actually able to hit up the gym.

January 29, 2011 at 10:12 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Susan

Makes more sense that cold would ultimately make you gain weight. If your body feels cold, I would think it would turn up the hunger and make you eat more.

January 29, 2011 at 16:52 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Tanya

When people move to colder climates they put on weight because their bodies start forming a layer of fat to protect them from cold. Walruses have the same protection mechanism.

January 29, 2011 at 18:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. JC_VA

I actually find the winter month easier to lose weight. When you are cold you burn more calories, so all you have to do is eat less or the same, of course if a healthy dieat is follow...

January 31, 2011 at 12:18 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Jay

I always believe that weight loss is a process.

Just like a full time job. You need to establish a goal and stick on schedule..If you're less committed, then most likely you won't be losing your desired weight!

Jay
    Publisher, DukanDietRecipesX.com

August 18, 2011 at 18:21 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Daniel Bohonik

If your ultimate goal is strength training, the Weider fitness equipment that you may want to consider using is called a strength station. This strength training unit allows you to work on the abdominal muscles, chest, back, triceps and arms. It features a vertical knee raise station, dip station and a pull-up and push-up station .."

Catch you later
    <http://www.beautyfashiondigest.com

May 5, 2013 at 09:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Lavina

Hi ... thought you would like this article.

dgp

Also visit my blog post; pets

November 25, 2020 at 16:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. zortilo nrel

Hey! Do you know if they make any plugins to safeguard against hackers? I'm kinda paranoid about losing everything I've worked hard on. Any suggestions?

January 4, 2021 at 10:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. https://europa-road.eu/hu/tengeri-szallitmanyozas.php

Just wish to say your article is as surprising. The clarity in your post is just nice and i could assume you're an expert on this subject. Fine with your permission allow me to grab your RSS feed to keep up to date with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please continue the rewarding work.

February 9, 2021 at 04:43 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. storno brzinol

This really answered my drawback, thanks!

May 17, 2021 at 02:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. casino crown

Top 5 Trang Net Tỷ Lệ Kèo Bóng Đá Tốt Nhất 2021Tỷ Lệ Kèo Nhà Cái Soi Kèo Bóng Đá Hôm Nay. Nhận Định Euro 2021 Copa America casino girlHai trận đấu của lượt cuối mỗi bảng bắt buộc phải thi đấu cùng giờ. Kết thúc vòng bảng, đội nhất, nhì các bảng và four đội xếp thứ ba có thành tích tốt nhất sẽ giành quyền vào vòng 16 đội.

June 26, 2021 at 16:54 | Report abuse | Reply