home
RSS
January 11th, 2011

Human Factor: Faith, miracles and a new reach

In the Human Factor, Dr. Sanjay Gupta introduces you to survivors who have overcome tremendous odds. Confronting a life obstacle – injury, illness or other hardship – they tapped their inner strength and found resilience they didn’t know they possessed. Be inspired by their successes, as we have been.

My name is Darline Bertil. I am 25 years old. I was born and raised in Port-au Prince, the capital of Haiti, which was the epicenter of the earthquake. Before this devastating earthquake, my life was quite normal. I attended school, church and lived a productive life.

On the afternoon of January 12, 2010, I was at work when at 4 p.m. I felt the ground start to shake. My coworkers and I were startled and wondered what was going on. We decided to check our surroundings and saw that the counters of the bar were blocking us in. The building had collapsed in less than 30 seconds. We had no outside contact and ended up trapped there for days.

We prayed for deliverance and felt hopeless, asking God for forgiveness. We  feared that it was the end of the world. During this time I was also trapped by the concrete, and I could not feel my arms. Later I was told that when I was rescued I was unconscious.

The day I was rescued by several American soldiers, they took me on a medical boat called the “USNS Comfort.” I never thought I would see another day.

What I want people to know is that with God all things are possible and to believe in miracles. Without faith and courage I would have not survived.

I lost my arms in this tragedy and now face my biggest challenge, which is to adjust to life with no upper limbs, and a limp on my right leg.

The hardest moments for me were the realization that I had lost both my arms. In life there are circumstances that we face that we cannot change. My country as in many has flaws but one thing I would advocate for is equality for the disabled.

If you don’t take anything else from my story please know that life is precious. What we take for granted can be gone in a matter of seconds, cherish the people in your life and live life to the fullest. Tomorrow's not promised!!

Human Factor appears on "SGMD," 7:30 a.m. Saturday-Sunday

Post by:
Filed under: Haiti • Human Factor

1. AlfrTox

Restoration of baths in Krasnogorsk https://megaremont.pro/ekb-restavratsiya-vann

January 4, 2021 at 06:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. zortilonrel

I will right away grab your rss feed as I can not find your email subscription link or e-newsletter service. Do you have any? Kindly let me know so that I could subscribe. Thanks.

February 3, 2021 at 11:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. https://europa-road.eu/hu/kombajn-szallitas-mezogazdasagi-gep-szallitas.php

I’m not that much of a online reader to be honest but your sites really nice, keep it up! I'll go ahead and bookmark your site to come back down the road. Cheers

February 9, 2021 at 03:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. storno brzinol

Some really rattling work on behalf of the owner of this website , dead great subject matter.

May 13, 2021 at 13:59 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. mitom

Xoilac Tv Trực Tiếp Soccerxs568Đây có lẽ là trường hợp “của đi thay cho người" khá may mắn đối với Ben McLemore. Thiếu chút nữa tay ném của Los Angeles Lakers đã được thể gặp tai nạn nguy hiểm. Cập nhật kết trái trận Việt Nam vs Lebanon thuộc play-off vòng loại Futsal World Cup 2021.

June 20, 2021 at 10:00 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. the thao tv

Kết Quả Futsal Việt Nam Vs Lebanontrực tuyến vtv3Theo thể thức thi đấu, đội thắng ở cặp đấu này sẽ giành tấm vé đến Lithuania vào ngày hội bóng đá lớn nhất thế giới mang đến futsal. Tuyển futsal Việt Nam bước vào trận play-off lượt đi tranh vé dự play-off World Cup 2021 với sự tự tin. Tuy vậy, HLV Phạm Minh Giang bày tỏ, toàn đội không ngán Lebanon song sẽ tìm cách để khắc chế sức mạnh của đối thủ bởi bên trên băng ghế huấn luyện là nhà cầm quân Ramiro Lopez, người từng dẫn dắt futsal Tây Ban Nha.|Dựa vào lịch thi đấu, bạn hoàn toàn có thể chuẩn bị xếp việc làm

June 21, 2021 at 22:31 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. link bong da

Tin Tức, Sự Kiện Liên Quan Lại Đến Thẳng Soccer Nữ lich thi dau bong da asiad 2019Đội tuyển nước ta chỉ cần một kết trái hòa có bàn thắng nhằm lần loại hai góp mặt trên World Cup futsal. Nhưng, nhằm làm được như vậy

June 30, 2021 at 06:06 | Report abuse | Reply