home
RSS
Abortion rate stalls after decade-long decline
January 11th, 2011

Abortion rate stalls after decade-long decline

The steady decline in the number of abortions performed annually in the United States has plateaued, new data from the Guttmacher Institute suggest.

In its fifteenth survey of abortion providers since 1973, the institute found  a 0.5 percent increase in the number of abortions performed in 2005 versus 2008. The data essentially end the downward trend in abortion incidence that had been observed since 1990.

"[The data] suggest we're not doing enough to help women avoid unintended pregnancies," says Rachel K. Jones, a senior research associate at the Guttmacher Institute who wrote the report.

To collect the data, Jones and her team mailed questionnaires to all potential abortion providers, including hospitals and doctors' offices. They defined "provider" as any site where abortions are performed, not as any individual who performs them.

The team also sought information on gestational limits (how late in the pregnancy the provider would perform an abortion), the type of abortive services offered to patients, and what, if any, harassment the provider experienced. In total, more than 2,300 surveys were sent out.

"The abortion rate remained unchanged between 2005 and 2008," said Jones. "19.6 abortions for every 1,000 women in 2008 is virtually the same as 19.4 abortions for every 1,000 women in 2005. It's a nominal increase."

There were notable changes as well: Of the 1.21 million abortions performed in 2008, 17 percent were early medication abortions. Jones found a 24 percent increase in the number of these procedures being conducted at nonhospital facilities. The majority of those involved Mifepristone, commonly known as RU-486. Indeed, the number of providers offering this service also increased.

"Heavy promotion of RU-486 and chemical abortions has really had an impact," said Randall K. O'Bannon, Ph.D., director of Education and Research with the National Right to Life Committee. "[Women] would consider abortion when they might not consider it before, and they would take this pill."

The rate of unintended pregnancies in the United States was a major contributing factor to the stalled decline of the abortion rate Planned Parenthood Federation of America said  in a statement to CNN. "The first step we can take as a nation is to increase access to affordable contraception," reads the statement. "The most effective way to prevent unintended pregnancy, and reduce the need for abortion, is to improve access to affordable birth control."

For her part, Jones speculates that the lack of improvement in contraceptive use among women may play a role in why the abortion rate has stopped declining. But she also hypothesizes there may be a correlation with teen pregnancy; as the rate of teen pregnancy declined, so did the national rate of abortion, yet both have recently stalled.

And the economy may also be responsible. The data Jones collected were from 2008, when the economic downturn had just begun.

"These may be women who lost access to health care, who had a harder time accessing contraception," said Jones. "Or they may be poor women who under different circumstances would have carried their pregnancy to term but in poor economic times, with a lower income, were more likely to get abortions."

The full report will be published in the March issue of the Guttmacher Institute's journal Perspectives on Sexual and Reproductive Health.

1. WC

The decline observed between 1990 – 2005 was not consistent across all demographics–the rate amongst low-income women remained much more stable. This is because that despite the fact the impoverished women have the least access to safe, legal abortion services, they can afford an unintended pregnancy even less than they can the abortion. Since the collapse of the American economy in 2008, the number of American women in this position has increased dramatically; therefore, the incidence of abortion has increased. Funny how the economic policies of the neocons have actually led to an increase in the rate of abortion in the U.S.

January 11, 2011 at 03:07 | Report abuse | Reply
    • rh

Abortion rates in the US are a symptom of the American lack of responsibility for their actions. If you have a problem, kill it.

For the most part, educated liberals would rather raise their grandchild than tell their daughter to have an abortion, but they want poor people who don't have the financial means to abort their kids.

January 11, 2011 at 08:13 | Report abuse |
    • WoodUshutup?

rh, you're simply wrong. No one is "for" abortion and no one thinks it's a good thing. Stop making such ridiculous generalizations. You don't know the women who face these decisions and their reasons for choosing one option over another. Stop pretending you do.

January 11, 2011 at 09:57 | Report abuse |
    • whgage

You don't abort kids. You abort a seed.

January 11, 2011 at 10:00 | Report abuse |
    • nygirl

rh, you are completely and totally wrong. As someone who grew up around many "upper-class" liberals, none of them wanted their precious darlings abandoning their dreams of Harvard to be a teen mom. Poor women are more likely to carry their fetuses to term due to financial and often cultural reasons.

January 11, 2011 at 11:40 | Report abuse |
    • kim

@whgage A spermatazoa is a "seed". An embryo or fetus is a functionally distinct organism – a human being. Biology textbooks at all levels acknowledge this. He or she has distinct DNA from the mother and father, distinct metabolysis, and by the time a high proportion of pregnancies are detected, distinct neural activity beating a distinct human heart.

January 11, 2011 at 14:44 | Report abuse |
    • Jane

I agree with NYgirl. It is the cultural background that influences these choices. I am white and grew up around of black and hispanic people. They often said to me that they are against abortion and adoption. Many said if they made it they should take responsibly and raise it. Then most of my friends if they had a baby didn't get married to the father. I was raised that you should get married. Unplanned pregnancy wasn't something to be proud of. But in the end I feel it would also be irresponsible to bring a child into the world you can't feed. I can see how my family and cultural background influenced how I feel about the subject. In the end it is each person's choice and I like it that way.

January 11, 2011 at 15:42 | Report abuse |
    • tommas

Kim, first a seed is a fertilized egg... ie a plant embryo. Living tissue, ie a beating heart (which can be created in a dish btw), is not a human life. Consciousness defines human life and that does not arise to much further in development. 1000's of human "seeds" are killed for invitro fertilization all the time. Please educate yourself and stop spewing the lies of old church ladies.

January 11, 2011 at 16:20 | Report abuse |
    • gerald

Abortion rates have declined because statistics about abortion pills are not included. Abortion has actually increased. HELLO!

February 8, 2011 at 16:39 | Report abuse |
  2. Nate

Don't worry, WC. If arch-conservatives can't stop abortion by tanking the economy, they'll simply murder a few more abortion doctors.

January 11, 2011 at 03:10 | Report abuse | Reply
    • yawn

Here come the liberals blaming everyone but themselves..

January 11, 2011 at 08:09 | Report abuse |
    • A. Goodwin

Yawn – I would like to place bets that many in your own party have had abortions. Perhaps even a greater number since demographics for this issue do not in your favor. Some of the states with the highest abortion rates: AL, FL, TX, WI, IA, NC....

January 11, 2011 at 08:33 | Report abuse |
    • Jesus

Sweden is a model democracy with 50% of its legislature being women, very low crime rate, stable government and a relatively low abortion rate. They are 76% nonbelievers in God! Abortion is on-demand through the second trimester (up to 23 weeks). Protection is provided free and for teens. It's a perfect example of what a secular democracy cab do when the populace leaves 1st century Voodoo behind and conducts themselves with a 21st century mentality.

January 11, 2011 at 08:38 | Report abuse |
    • Richard

Wait, Sweden's abortion rate is horrifically worse than the US'. Around 14-16% of US pregnancies are aborted, whereas the Swedes (with their model democracy?!?) abort over 25%.

January 11, 2011 at 09:32 | Report abuse |
    • Richard

A. Goodwin: Actually, Blue states tend to have higher abortion rates (topped by the likes of NY, DE... but with exceptions such as KS in there), whereas Red states tend to have higher teenage pregnancy (top 5 = TX, NM, MS, AZ, AR) and divorce rates (top 5 = NV, AL, WY, ID, WV). And murder rates. And they take more from the federal government than they give.

January 11, 2011 at 10:09 | Report abuse |
    • Impaire

Richard–I do not know where you get your data, but if you want to compare country rates of abortion (and much more), you could use this link (http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/ib_0599.html : higher abortion rate in the US than in Sweden) or this one, for teen pregnancy-related abortions: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_incidence_of_teenage_pregnancy).
      The Guttmacher link is especially interesting.

January 11, 2011 at 11:14 | Report abuse |
    • Richard

Impaire: Thanks for the link. Unfortunately the study you highlighted has a few drawbacks. First, the data is from 1999 – you could take a look at http://www.johnstonsarchive.net/policy/abortion/ which as 2009 data for Sweden (notice the typo for the 2009 numbers). You can look around for other sources too. Also the Guttmacher report does a poor job of defining “rate” – for example, only once does is say that the rate is abortions per 1,00 women of reproductive age [without listing the ages]… just an oversight but a poor one.

More importantly, look at the rate [for Sweden] that I quoted… percentage of pregnancies that are aborted NOT just abortions per 1,000 women of reproductive age – I’m sure you’ll agree the former is much more instructive for this debate (regardless, the per 1,000 rate in the link I just posted is lower for the US than Sweden as well).

Obviously I didn’t compare Sweden’s teenage pregnancy rate with the US’ in my post… but if I had I could have noted that UNICEF statistics (1998) had the US rate over 9 times higher than Sweden’s rate.

January 11, 2011 at 11:38 | Report abuse |
    • nygirl

No blame....it's none of your damned business what a woman does with her body.

January 11, 2011 at 11:41 | Report abuse |
    • kim

@nygirl What a woman does with HER body is not what's at issue. It's when she acts to destroy the body of her offspring, which is distinct from her own.

January 11, 2011 at 14:49 | Report abuse |
    • tommas

"distinct from her own." You do realize that the fetus is not floating freely in the uterus, its attatched ie not distinct

January 11, 2011 at 16:41 | Report abuse |
  3. Doug

I am not against abortion at all.. it's up to each person, but I do find those numbers astounding, even shocking ! What's crazy is I'm gay, and they vote who I cam marry.. Wow, unreal really !

January 11, 2011 at 03:10 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Esprits

Apples and oranges.

January 11, 2011 at 06:30 | Report abuse |
  4. Ruby

Horrible. End this genocidal practice of murder.

January 11, 2011 at 03:37 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Caroline

I don't think you understand what genocide is.

January 11, 2011 at 03:45 | Report abuse |
    • Think About It...

It's murder. Plain and simple.

January 11, 2011 at 04:46 | Report abuse |
    • rick

Tell em Ruby!!!

January 11, 2011 at 04:59 | Report abuse |
    • rick

You speak the truth Ruby

January 11, 2011 at 05:00 | Report abuse |
    • Karen

I am a mid to upper class, white, very educated. I am happily married and have two beautiful children. If our birth control methods fail (they have a low failure rate, but sometimes they do fail), I would get an abortion. Why? Because another person in our family would negatively impact every person in our family. Because there are nearly 7 billion people on the planet and it is up to careful family planning for the world population to stabilize. Now I believe abortion is a worst case scenario, and I hope that others are treating abortions in the same way. But even if they are not, I don't think poor decision making on the part of a few should close off a set of decisions for the many.

The life of a fetus cannot be separated from the life of the pregnant woman. No one can create a set of medical principles or legal principles giving a right to life to the fetus, because by doing so, inevitably the woman's rights become limited.

January 11, 2011 at 08:42 | Report abuse |
    • A. Goodwin

Ruby – I hope you are currently a foster parent, adopt children, or financially support social programs which pay for women to carry a child to term so that the baby can be adopted. Otherwise, while you can feel abortion is suicide – without it the impact to America would go far beyond one's personal/religious beliefs. I do not condone abortion, but also know that without it America would be overpopulated, more families would have to reley on welfare to support a family that financially is beyond their means, and for some women the physical impact of having a child would mean death.

January 11, 2011 at 08:44 | Report abuse |
    • Plato

First, a embro is not a viable human being. It's really a pity that people aren't more science savy.

But, that said, let me ask you this.
      Tell me Ruby, would you allow your son or daughter join the military? In Vietnam, 95% of soldiers shot at people with the intent to kill them. If you believe abortion is murder, isn't this also murder? You might argue that it's necessary, for the life of the soldier to defend themselves, for all our lives to be safe and better somehow. Can't you make those very same arguments about a young teen mother with an unwanted pregnancy? How is one death more 'okay' than another, if you believe abortion is killing? How can you sanction war?

January 11, 2011 at 08:58 | Report abuse |
    • momofthree

TO KAREN,
      Karen, you have no way of knowing that another addition to your family would negatively impact everyone. I know this because my third was not planned. We thought we could not manage, we have and our lives are so much better. I am aware of population issues, but with education, understanding and careful use of non-abortive birth control we can bring our population growth under control. I live in the Northeast where our birthrates are very low, AND, for white, educated females they are almost nil. It's so funny, we are educating ourselves out of the future! How many women do I know in their late thirties and early forties, who "have it all", and now have no children. They are angry and bitter and feel totally jaded. Not all, but many. I know, I used to work for one, and when I became pregnant the last time, she could not even speak to me. She was TOTALLY unprofessional. It made me wake up and suddenly understand what we had all done to ourselves. Taking the life of a fetus, especially after the first few weeks, is killing. Watch the videos and read Bernard Nathanson's book. It will rock your world.

January 11, 2011 at 09:19 | Report abuse |
    • Diappointed

I'm a little disappointed. I would like to get those abortion numbers up a little bit. About 17 years from now when that unwanted broken-home kid is an angry teenager, he's going to car jack you when you're driving your family home.

January 11, 2011 at 09:41 | Report abuse |
    • why not

@Karen: Why would you not consider adoption? Would it be easier to tell your current children that you killed their sibling than to tell them you chose to give him/her a better life?

January 11, 2011 at 09:57 | Report abuse |
    • why not

@plato: first off, Plato, have you heard of late term abortions? where the baby's head is delivered and scissors are inserted into the skull and the brains are sucked out? I think you can hardly compare that to adults engaging in battle. War takes consent. a baby in the womb cannot consent to be killed with saline solution or having its body dismembered.

January 11, 2011 at 10:00 | Report abuse |
    • A. Goodwin

momofthree – That is simply your opinion and very much not the opinion of others. I would LOVE to know where you live in the northeast – I live in the northeast too and know several women I am associated with who are white, highly educated women who HAVE had an abortions (please provide your statistical data, if you wouldn't mind). While it worked out just fine for YOUR family to add another member, to many who are struggling financially...who may not emotionally stable to have another child, abortion is a viable and legal solution. I know that for my family, adding another member would be a DISASTER. Mind you, my husband has had a vasectomy, so its a moot point. But – I have a son who has a major disability: epilepsy. Much of my family's resourses go to taking care of him. His younger sister DOES get the short end of the stick sometimes. I have to be very diligent to make certain her needs are being met as well as my sons and to make sure she feels as though I am paying as much attention to her as I do him. You can tell me up and down that I would love a new baby – and I would...but that doesn't mean it makes sense for MY family – not now, not ever. Additionally, I have only one sister who has choosen not to have children. She has been happily married for almost 20 years and does not regret for ONE second her choice NOT to have children. And I respect her for that. You might know a few people who regret their choice not to have a family, but you are not everyone in society. You are not the end all, be all for all the family's who have to make this kind of decision. Glad it worked out for you – but you are not me...you are not my friends...you are not my coworkers....you do not live in my community (my guess). I do not want to watch some horrible video, buy why dont YOU do yourself a favor and go down to your local food pantry and SEE how many unwed mothers of young children there are. Why dont YOU foster a child who is unwanted and might have behavioral issues from growing up in a terrible home. Why dont YOU spend some time in an orphanage for children who are unwanted because they didn't come out with blond hair, blue eyes, and all the perfections of normalicy. Maybe then you will see the "other" side of things and my guess is that you will find them to be as abhoring as you find abortion.

January 11, 2011 at 10:01 | Report abuse |
    • A. Goodwin

Why Not – I will answer for Karen....children do NOT need to know ANYTHING!! They are children, and its up to the parent to discuss such things. I wouldn't even fathom telling my children I was even pregnant (non issue since my husband had a vasectomy) before 3 months...why would I tell a CHILD anything of the sort....none of their BUSINESS. End of story.

January 11, 2011 at 10:05 | Report abuse |
    • WoodUshutup?

momofthree, that is why it isn't a decision ANYONE gets to make for another person. YOU don't know that another child wouldn't be problematic for a family anymore than someone else can decide that you SHOULDN'T have another child because YOU can't afford it. How does it sound when the shoe is on the other foot? If you don't want others making such decisions for you or judging your choices, then stop imagining you have some divine right to do so.

January 11, 2011 at 10:18 | Report abuse |
    • WoodUshutup?

why not, you are describing a method of abortion that's been banned for years. Time to get out of that cave once in a while.

January 11, 2011 at 10:47 | Report abuse |
    • nygirl

Can the men please shut up about something that has nothing to do with them? PLEASE????

January 11, 2011 at 11:42 | Report abuse |
    • WoodUshutup?

Yeah, and I am the REAL Queen of England, too.

January 11, 2011 at 12:18 | Report abuse |
    • LEB

You really want to end it? Demand more birth control options for men, and demand that all health insurance plans cover birth control. The solution to the abortion debate is simple... make the need for elective abortion completely obsolete.

January 12, 2011 at 02:55 | Report abuse |
  5. Caroline

No, actually genocide is the systematic killing of some group of people, in an attempt to abolish said group. Call abortion murder, but it's far from genocide.

January 11, 2011 at 05:07 | Report abuse | Reply
    • kim

Genocide is the result of a conspiracy. The abortion rate is the result of millions of individual choices.

January 11, 2011 at 07:01 | Report abuse |
    • Billy

Planned Parenthood was started in part by Margaret Sanger in order to get rid of the poor and minorities, that qualifies as genocide in my books.

January 11, 2011 at 08:06 | Report abuse |
    • Richard

Billy: Sanger was profoundly against abortion. For example, she believed that "... the hundreds of thousands of abortions performed in America each year are a disgrace to civilization." And since contraception prevents pregnancy (not aborts it) you are woefully and technically incorrect about murder/genocide.

January 11, 2011 at 10:25 | Report abuse |

Richard, see blackgenocide.org

January 11, 2011 at 10:34 | Report abuse |
    • Richard

Billy: unfortunately I did just check out the link you suggested. it's a non-scientific, religious based site whose sole message is anti abortion rights. The site is grossly irresponsible, such as comparing family planning with eugenics and genocide. The site even claims that the high teenage pregnancy rate is caused by Planned Parenthood!?! I'm sorry, issues regarding abortion should be approached in a scientific, human-health manner... conspiracy sites should have no role to play in this discussion.

January 11, 2011 at 10:53 | Report abuse |
    • WoodUshutup?

Oh, brother. Do you believe everything you find on a website, Billy? Really, get educated.

January 11, 2011 at 10:55 | Report abuse |
    • Billy

I am well educated and have done the research. Biology is my passion 🙂 I thin kyou will find actual quoted from Sanger on the website with citations. I can't check it from here, but if there are not citations let me know and I will get you some.

January 11, 2011 at 10:58 | Report abuse |
    • WoodUshutup?

Sanger's beliefs have no more relevance than do Henry Ford's, Billy. Stop with the nonsense.

January 11, 2011 at 11:11 | Report abuse |
    • Richard

Billy: sure, like all conspiracy sites it has actual quotes, but it's still a conspiracy site. I mean, come on dude, Childress (the director) boasts about a mention by Pat Robertson (misspelled on the site, incidentally)!?

Look, I want to reduce the number of abortions in this country as much as you, but your hateful rhetoric (e.g., "murderers", "genocide!") and conspiracy theories is NOT going to help.

January 11, 2011 at 11:13 | Report abuse |

So I see you know of Henry Fords history as well 🙂

January 11, 2011 at 11:14 | Report abuse |
    • WoodUshutup?

And I see you don't; or if you do, you fail to see the parallels. Not surprising. I'm still laughing about your tale of telling others you wanted to "be an abortionist" at age 16 and how midwives "came out of the woodwork" to "train" you. If nothing else convinces anyone here that you're nothing but a troll, that should do it. Why would midwives want to train an abortionist? Midwives are trained to deliver babies, you twit. Now get moving, the school bus is on its way, Billy.

January 11, 2011 at 11:34 | Report abuse |
    • Billy

I am in my thirties now. I was suppossed to START OUT with midwife training, I did not take the offer, two others did. I realize being a midwife is different than being an abortionist, they wanted me to have that experience.

January 11, 2011 at 11:49 | Report abuse |
  6. Laura Reid

I am shocked that the article so casually treats multiple murders of innocent
    lives as something we North Americans should take for granted. What
    generation will rise up and speak of these horrible acts we now do with any
    genocide or holocaust. We have much to answer for. I had an abortion, once,
    and I have regretted that act of murder for close to 40 years. It's murder folks,
    plain and simple. The taking of another life is murder. Playing with semantics will
    not alter the fact that when a life is taken away it is murder. Just like that precious
    little girl of 8 years old in Tucson.

January 11, 2011 at 05:20 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Esprits

Laura, whether or not abortions were legal, women would still get them. By keeping abortion accessible to women, we allow them to do so in a safe, stable environment in which they may receive counseling and additional medical attention if needed instead of having it done in a back alley with a rusty hanger.

January 11, 2011 at 06:29 | Report abuse |
    • Chukwujekwu

@laura, It is good for those who have engaged it to come out and speak the truth,

@Esprits, you suggestion sounds like this "a safe way to murder unborn babies without hurting the mother"

January 11, 2011 at 07:06 | Report abuse |
    • Billy

Espirits Some women would still have them, but the majority of people are law abiding, not to mention many women feel it must be an okay thing because it is legal.

Counseling? When was the last time you were in an abortion clinic? Counseling is just another word for sales pitch and spouting legal mumbo-jumbo. The extent of counseling is just administering Versed to the women so they forget the experience. After administering Versed the abortionist could eat your fetus in front of you and violate you and you would not remember it.

January 11, 2011 at 08:11 | Report abuse |
    • Shelby

I am also one of many who had an abortion years ago that now regrets it with everything in me. I was young and stupid and I have lived through a lot of hurt and pain over what I did. They have made it far too easy for anyone to get an abortion. I accept what I did was murder and I have to live with it everyday but I pray that they do something about the killing of so many unborn children. My heart breaks for all of the other woman who have suffered through the same pain that I have and I pray for them as well as the souls of their unborn children.

January 11, 2011 at 09:24 | Report abuse |
    • A. Goodwin

Billy – When is the last time YOU were in a abortion clinic? I can tell you when I was – with my best friend just last December (2009). I was there to support her, and I can tell you everything they did was to persuade the mom NOT to get the abortion. There was a very graphic video that she had to watch, along with counseling that discussed ALL her options. My friend – a white female with two degrees who was unmarried and whose birth control FAILED.

Shelby – I think you need counseling. Is it ok to regret past actions – yes, but to feel continual hurt and pain. Girl, go get some help. You may never stop regretting your actions, but God has all ready accepted your prayer for forgiveness. Dont doubt him.

January 11, 2011 at 10:16 | Report abuse |
    • Billy

@ A Goodwin Two months before you were. Feminist extremests who ignore basic science had my fiancee convinced it was a lump of tissue at 12 weeks. Despite my pleadings she went through with the abortion. My fiancee HEAVILY regrets it now, and is deeply traumatized, where are the abortion counselors now? She had no idea there was a heartbeat, fingers, toes, and movement. She thought I was spouting pro-life lies and propaganda, all she needed to do was open a basic biology textbook. I get to wake up and see the pain in her eyes every day, she is an active pro-lifer now. The abortion industry is based on so many lies.

January 11, 2011 at 10:31 | Report abuse |
    • nygirl

Can't wait till your daughter is faced with having to take a coat hanger into an alley.

January 11, 2011 at 11:43 | Report abuse |

nygirl
      That is a horrible thing to wish upon somebody. That would be like me saying "I hope your daughter commits suicide after she cannot handle her legal abortion", quite spiteful. The reality is I hope all women that have had an abortion can heal and get past what happened.

January 11, 2011 at 11:59 | Report abuse |
    • nygirl

I am spiteful towards anyone who wants their stupid religious beliefs to control my body.

January 11, 2011 at 12:01 | Report abuse |
    • Billy

I can assure you religious views play no part in my being pro-life. I became religious well after I became pro-life. I was a pro-life athiest.

January 11, 2011 at 12:06 | Report abuse |
    • nygirl

And you ended up religious. Whatever, your hatred of women and their individual rights was their gateway. Same difference.

January 11, 2011 at 12:09 | Report abuse |
    • Billy

I love women, I am giving money this week to help out pro-choice women who have chosen life for their child. I still think women need equal pay too! Less women might want an abortion if they had more $$$.

January 11, 2011 at 12:16 | Report abuse |
    • WoodUshutup?

Yeah, right, Billy. It's "atheist", dear. I'd think someone pretending to be educated would have looked that up. Troll.

January 11, 2011 at 12:17 | Report abuse |
    • robin

@Billy–Thank you for sharing your story. I am truly sorry for your loss. However, I can't figure out why you, a pro-lifer, would get a woman pregnant when you are not married and not ready to become a parent. You say your 'fiancee had an abortion' with such detachment, you blame feminist extremists, you cite the lack of counseling provided by abortion providers, you cite huge conspiracies within the abortion industry, yet you seemingly fail to understand that YOUR ACTIONS were the reason for the pregnancy in the first place. And guess what–if YOU hadn't gotten her pregnant, she would not have been in the position of having to make such a horrible decision, and now she would not be a statistic. Stop blaming the abortion industry for YOUR irresponsible behavior.

January 11, 2011 at 12:50 | Report abuse |
    • A. Goodwin

Billy – I'm going to give you the same advice that I have Shelby – have your girlfriend get some counseling. Further, are you a teenager? I ask because its fairly ignorant for your girlfriend/fiance to not know what is involved with being pregnant. Additionally, most states have laws requiring the abortion providor to provide pre-abortion counseling and waiting periods prior to proceeding with an abortion. My guess is that your girlfriend/fiance knew exactly what she was getting herself into, and while she is sad for what she did...she still went along with it and was fully informed. I find it also interesting that she proceeded with the abortion given your statement that you pleaded for her not to get one. Frankly, that speaks volumes for your relationship and the trust she has in you. (My guess is that she is not your forever girl....) Both you and your girlfriend have no others to blame for her situation but yourselves. You both got her into that mess, and she made the decision to get you out. Get her some counseling and move on – life is too short to keep looking back at the would-have, could-have, should-have's.

January 11, 2011 at 13:04 | Report abuse |
    • LEB

How you feel about the abortion you had has absolutely no relevance on other women's situations. I'm sorry you regret your decision, but it was still your DECISION. Own the consequences of that decision rather than trying to demonize, control, and condemn the choices of others, and you'll find greater peace.

January 12, 2011 at 03:01 | Report abuse |
  7. andrea

I am thankful to be living in a country in which I have the right to choose. It is my hope this right will never ever be taken away from the women in this country. Abortion is a right and a choice, one in which I am thankful for.

January 11, 2011 at 06:41 | Report abuse | Reply
    • carla

The choice to abort that you value denies a lifetime of choices from your child.

January 11, 2011 at 06:45 | Report abuse |
    • Nick

I completely disagree Andrea. I'm a little wary of a country where people don't have to accept the consequences of their actions.

January 11, 2011 at 07:38 | Report abuse |
    • rh

And how far does your right go until it infringes on someone else's right?

January 11, 2011 at 08:11 | Report abuse |
    • woshicara

Nick, a baby should be a welcomed family member, not a "consequence of [one's] actions." I understand the argument against abortions, but I don't understand the implication that children are a punishment to be inflicted on people who did not intend to become pregnant.

January 11, 2011 at 08:58 | Report abuse |
    • andrea

The beauty is that all of you have the right to your opinions and I have the right to mine...

January 11, 2011 at 09:16 | Report abuse |
    • andrea

All of you are so hateful, read your comments. I would feel sorry for a child with parents as closed minded as all of you.

January 11, 2011 at 09:18 | Report abuse |
    • Billy

Andrea, I would certainly want them to be my parents over someone who viewed me as an inconvenience. I don't see hate posted under your comment from the other readers, quite the contrary in fact.

January 11, 2011 at 10:13 | Report abuse |
    • WoodUshutup?

rh, why don't you tell us all whose rights are being infringed upon in an abortion? Because last time I checked, the fetus doesn't HAVE any.

January 11, 2011 at 10:36 | Report abuse |

WoodUshutup
      Kind of convenient for the murderers who made the laws, isn't it?

January 11, 2011 at 10:41 | Report abuse |
    • WoodUshutup?

Kind of convenient for you to remain ignorant, isn't it? How is it your gf got pregnant in the first place, dear? Didn't you know about con doms? Funny how basic biology seems to escape you when it comes to your own responsibility.

January 11, 2011 at 10:49 | Report abuse |
    • Billy

It was wanted child at first, momma changed her mind.

January 11, 2011 at 10:56 | Report abuse |
    • WoodUshutup?

I don't believe one word of your story. And the ridiculous conspiracy theories you're spouting off about are laughable. I suspect you're nothing but an anti-choice troll.

January 11, 2011 at 11:06 | Report abuse |
    • Billy

My story is real, and has much pain. At age 16 I was so pro-choice and I wanted to be an abortionist. The mid-wives crawled out of the woodwork wanting to train me. Kinda funny how time and experience can change things.

January 11, 2011 at 11:19 | Report abuse |
    • Stating the obvious

Umm.... Billy....

You said that age 16 you wanted to be an abortionist and that mid-wives were coming out of the woodwork to train you??? Oh come on, buddy. Did you actually walk around making it known, "When I grow up I want to be an abortionist"? And... you proclaimed it loudly enough that mid-wives were contacting you about training you???

Having trouble picturing it this scene...

January 11, 2011 at 11:28 | Report abuse |
    • WoodUshutup?

Ahahhahhaha! You're a troll, all right. No one would, at age 16, say he wanted to be "an abortionist" even if he were pro-choice. You're just on here to spread misinformation and lies about choice.

January 11, 2011 at 11:30 | Report abuse |
    • Stating the obvious

Dear Billy...

I forgot to ask when I asked for clarification about the mid-wives wanting to train you... At 16, were you and OB or GYN??? And... if so... why would a mid-wife have to train you?

January 11, 2011 at 11:34 | Report abuse |
    • WoodUshutup?

I believe Billy has jumped the shark on that one. Midwives deliver babies, Billy. They don't perform abortions. Why would they be "coming out of the woodwork to train" a 16-year-old? What a laugh!

January 11, 2011 at 11:37 | Report abuse |
    • nygirl

Why Nick? You certainly don't.

January 11, 2011 at 11:44 | Report abuse |
    • Billy

At that age I wanted to be an abortionist because I felt it was a noble calling. I was not an OB nor did I have a medical degree or training, being that I was quite involved in a counter-culture community, when I expressed an interest I was given a path. I did not choose that path.

January 11, 2011 at 11:53 | Report abuse |
    • Liz

I think Billy has taken a page from The Cider House Rules.

January 11, 2011 at 12:05 | Report abuse |
    • Billy

@ Liz Wow, that is strange! I assure you I did not take a page from anywhere. I do want to see that movie though, it looks interesting.

January 11, 2011 at 12:12 | Report abuse |
    • Stating the obvious

Billy... OK.... let me understand. You were heavily involved in a counter culture when you were a teenager... and for some reason (I suppose maybe the nature of this community in which you lived) at age 16 you thought that being an abortionist was a noble calling. When the leaders of this secret community asked you what you wanted to do to "help society" you said, "Be an abortionist." OK... so... I've got this pictured... I've accessed my novelist part of myself.

Something then happened that separated you from this counter culture society... you didn't like being a boy and having to be a mid-wife and waiting on medical school to be over because you would be 30 years old before you actually got to start slaughtering other people's babies... or whatever happened to end that dream of yours.

After the separtation from that dreadful community... you were finally free to get a girl pregnant. She decided (maybe the secret society you escaped influenced her decision) to have an abortion although when you two made the baby, she was all for it. Maybe she didn't want you around or didn't think you could support the baby... or that you wouldn't help her... or whatever her reason, she didn't want to keep the baby. So... you did what any anit-abortion guy would do... the pro-life atheist that you were... and went with her to the abortionist who killed your baby.

Now... you are still so upset and shaken by the loss of your baby... angry at yourself for not being able to talk your girlfriend out of the murder... so... what is the next logical thing for you to do???

Of course, now... it is time for you to go on the Internet and find all the propaganda sites against abortion. Then... go to CNN and comment on abortion stories... in your mind... trying to "help others not to make the same mistake your girlfriend made."

But... Billy... you want to divert your anger that you feel for your girlfriend... the girl that murdered your baby... because you are attached to her and don't want to lose her. So... you have the urgent need to stop all abortions... no matter what. Because you could not stop the one that mattered the most in your life... the abortion of your precious baby that you will never get to meet because your girlfriend did not listen to you... you could not persuade her... so... you are on a mission to persuade everyone that you can.

Well... I CAN picture that... but... that's just a made-up scene from a novel that I wrote. Sometimes real is stranger than Fiction... because fiction must be believable so people can relate.

Listen, I don't know what happened to you, or anything about your life as a child or teen... but.... I do recognize misplaced anger and misplaced guilt when I read it... Sorry that happened to you Billy.

January 11, 2011 at 13:04 | Report abuse |

@ Stating the obvious
      You hit the nail on the head with a bunch of things in your last statement. Only it was more like mentioning what I wanted to be to a couple of friends and then this group of people found me. As funny as it sounds I decided I did not want to be an abortionist while being a pro-choice protester at a planned parenthood, For the first time I actually saw somebody walk into the clinic to get an abortion, at that point the significance of the individual life inside of that lady hit me and was not just a number. Although I was still pro-choice I decided I could not handle that job. Later on in college during a psych class we studied in the book a case of a lady who was born with most of her brain missing (probably stopped developing new areas at 12-14 weeks) and yet she functioned and felt pain, she did have disability though. The significance of that in regards to pain struck at me. Later on I had a conversation with an abortionist who thought fetuses felt pain before 24 weeks, but he felt this was best not shared with general society because "women will get abortions anyway, why make them suffer with the knowledge of the fetal pain". Later In college I worked as security at a gay bar and had an abortionist break down on me because she had done her first mid second trimester abortion, and could not handle what she saw.

I have always been very verbal on this issue one way or another well before I lost my child, but yes of course I am channeling some of my feelings into my actions? What is your story?

January 11, 2011 at 13:45 | Report abuse |
    • Stating the obvious

Billy... my story... http://www.campusbooks.com/books/biographies-memoirs/general/9781424179183_Beverly-HutchinsonTerry_Life-of-an-Indigo.html

January 11, 2011 at 13:54 | Report abuse |
    • Stating the obvious

One more... http://www.amazon.com/Life-Indigo-Beverly-Hutchinson-Terry/dp/1424179181

January 11, 2011 at 13:56 | Report abuse |

@ Obvious
      This your life I assume, since it is a biography? What is the name of the story you are writing that my life matches, at least in part?
      Too much sychronicity for today 🙂
      I ordered your book out of curiosity.

January 11, 2011 at 14:24 | Report abuse |
    • Billy

Listen to "This Womens Work" by Kate bush, except in my horror story reality it was "She's NOT having a baby".

January 11, 2011 at 15:37 | Report abuse |
    • LEB

Oh please, no kid grows up wanting to be an "abortionist." Not even those who provide abortion services see themselves as "abortionists," they see themselves as professionals who have trained in concerns relating to women's health. They don't force anyone to have an abortion. If someone wants an abortion they don't judge. If someone wants to keep an accidental pregnancy they don't judge. If someone wants to give the baby up for adoption they don't judge. They are professionals performing a medical service, because their primary concern is their patient. And you can bet they would be THRILLED if everyone started using birth control properly, so that they never again had to perform any abortion that wasn't absolutely medically necessary.

January 12, 2011 at 03:06 | Report abuse |
  8. Chukwujekwu

Abortion is murder and it claims lives than any other form of murder, those who abort are worse than terrorist! Anyone that supports abortion is not better than osama bin laden. what a sick mentality to think there is nothing wrong with abortion! You can't even compare it to Jewish holocaust , you can't compare it to genocides that happened in Rwanda and many other places because the number of unborn babies aborted are greater than them. It is a pity that animals have rights more than unborn babies especially in western countries

January 11, 2011 at 06:45 | Report abuse | Reply
    • pamela

Nice rant. It didn't prevent a single abortion. Feel better about yourself, do you?

January 11, 2011 at 06:49 | Report abuse |
    • displeased

If it's unborn, then it's not a baby. Do you call an egg a chicken?

January 11, 2011 at 12:52 | Report abuse |
  9. steve

You cannot solve a problem by treating the symptom. Abortion is a symptom – the result of unwanted pregnancy. Treat the problem, help groups like Planned Parenthood and others to support contraception and birth control and abortions will all but go away. We must focus on the real problem to solve it.

January 11, 2011 at 06:53 | Report abuse | Reply
    • kim

Hmm, isn't an unwanted pregnancy also a symptom of something?

January 11, 2011 at 06:59 | Report abuse |
    • Billy

See the movie "Blood Money" Planned Parenthood wants the contraception to fail so they can sell you the abortion, thats why they use the cheapest condoms and birth control.

January 11, 2011 at 10:15 | Report abuse |
    • WoodUshutup?

You're a nut job. You probably believe the moon landing was faked, too.

January 11, 2011 at 10:50 | Report abuse |
    • Billy

See "Blood Money" The abortion Clinic owner Carol Everett admitted as much. She also admitted to selling abortions to women who were not pregnant, but were tricked into believeing they were.

The moon landings were real and amazing. I researched the conspiracy theories, but came to the conclusion that the landing was real and had a better appreciation for it after researching it.

January 11, 2011 at 10:54 | Report abuse |
    • LEB

Yeah, Planned Parenthood wants women to get pregnant so they can have a blast aborting fetuses. And 9/11 was an inside job. And cell phones give you brain cancer. And the world is really flat and being held up by four elephants standing on the back of a giant cosmic sea turtle.

January 12, 2011 at 03:09 | Report abuse |
  10. Elijah

The actual numbers in the article don't truly attest to the number of abortions performed in the United States since 1995 – have a look at the actual data 25,000,000 children have been murdered – astounding – surely this is not acceptable in a moral society- how do we prevent this – education, availability,support – ever think about the emotional aftermath...

January 11, 2011 at 07:08 | Report abuse | Reply
    • William

And this number far surpasses the total deaths of ALL US servicemen in ALL wars America has ever been in since the Revolutionary war. Just sick...

January 11, 2011 at 07:47 | Report abuse |
    • Billy

Over 50,000,000 people killed by abortion since 1973 in the US alone. ~46 Million killed annually worldwide.

The death of one man is a tragedy. The death of millions is a statistic.
      Joseph Stalin

January 11, 2011 at 10:20 | Report abuse |
  11. Chukwujekwu

here is the truth for those that really want to know to watch what happens during abortion see http://silentscream.org

January 11, 2011 at 07:16 | Report abuse | Reply
    • rh

Do you honestly think these women care what happens to the baby? It's like caring what happens to your ex-husband to them.

January 11, 2011 at 08:09 | Report abuse |
    • WoodUshutup?

I can't believe someone is STILL attempting to pretend that this hoax has any bearing on the issue. The silent scream video was discredited years ago. As for whether women "care", you putz, how would YOU know?

January 11, 2011 at 10:35 | Report abuse |
    • Billy

It was not dicredited, if so, cite it.
      Conversations I have had with those in the abortion industry confirm it. The procedure has changed a little since the eighties, but it is still essentially the same.

January 11, 2011 at 10:45 | Report abuse |
    • WoodUshutup?

Yes, it has been discredited, years ago. If you aren't aware of it, then you should read studies about the ability of a fetus to feel pain. But I'm sure you'd rather view abortion gore and read propaganda.

January 11, 2011 at 10:52 | Report abuse |
    • Billy

Current studies show that pain is for sure felt by 20-24 weeks, before that it has not been ruled out. The fetus reacts to pain, the question is whether the fetus can experience the pain, nobody knows the answer to that for sure. The AMA used to think pain was not even felt by infants after being born, the more medical science progresses, the more the dates are pulled back. Many neurologists think that the brain stem may be all that is necessary in early developement for elementary conciousness.

January 11, 2011 at 11:05 | Report abuse |
    • WoodUshutup?

The video you're attempting to use as some sort of evidence has long been discredited. It purports to show a fetus reacting to pain. It has been shown that fetuses lack the ability to register pain until very late in pregnancy. You're simply incorrect, Billy. And a troll. I doubt you are who you claim to be, and the more I see of your posts, the more I'm convinced you're nothing but an anti-choice zealot who is only here to spread lies and misinformation.

January 11, 2011 at 11:10 | Report abuse |
    • WoodUshutup?

The link you posted doesn't make any mention of fetal pain, Billy. Furthermore, it's from 2007 and it's a blog. Which also mentions Harry Potter. Wanna give up the pretense now, troll?

January 11, 2011 at 11:42 | Report abuse |
    • Billy

Yes, there are links to actual papers and the article mentioned, links at the bottom.

January 11, 2011 at 12:04 | Report abuse |
    • WoodUshutup?

Uh huh. From 2007. Have you come up with an explanation yet for your assertion that midwives thought they could train you as an abortionist when you were 16, ya fraud?

January 11, 2011 at 12:14 | Report abuse |
    • Billy

I was not being trained as an abortionist at 16. They wanted me to get midwife training and after doing that for a while they wanted me to go to med school. If I had followed that path I would have been in my late twenties or early thrties by the time I went to work. They did want me in the clinics, but obviously not working as an abortionist until I had a degree. I was told a large part of my training and schooling would be paid for. I suspect all of the work that had in mind for me was not legal though.

January 11, 2011 at 12:22 | Report abuse |
    • Billy

Yes probably from 2007, the argument in that paper has not changed. Just as math has not changed from 1+1=3 because it is 2011.

January 11, 2011 at 12:24 | Report abuse |
    • WoodUshutup?

News flash, Billy boy, it HAS changed since 2007. Guess you just didn't hear it from your midwife pals. The research that's been done more recently has found NO evidence that the brain possesses the ability to register pain before very late pregnancy. You lose-again.

Really, give it up. You're a troll and everyone knows it.

January 11, 2011 at 18:19 | Report abuse |
    • Billy

Cite it! I think you are referring to the recent AMA report. It proves that pain is felt at 20-24 weeks, it does not successfully rule it out before then. It does nothing more than infer that pain cannot be felt because of the absence of certain brain structures, but that is a leap of faith. Subcortical plate? Does conciousness start out in the brain stem and migrate out? That paper makes many assumtions on things that are unknown. It also says because of the hormonal surrounding fluid that the fetus is effectively sleeping. I have felt pain in my sleep, I have also woken up when sedated because pain was so bad.

January 11, 2011 at 18:33 | Report abuse |
    • Observer

Most abortions occur in the FIRST trimester, which is HALF of the period you mentioned.

January 11, 2011 at 20:16 | Report abuse |
  12. Sara

Great more welfare babies that tax money gets to pay for.

January 11, 2011 at 07:31 | Report abuse | Reply
    • kim

Bravo, Sara, what a humanitarian you are.

January 11, 2011 at 07:33 | Report abuse |
    • LEB

And how ironic that the same people who disapprove of women's right to choose ALSO want to put an end to social welfare programs. Can't have it both ways, folks.

January 12, 2011 at 03:11 | Report abuse |
  13. William

No matter how you tally it, 1,000,000 babies murdered LEGALLY in the US each year is far more than the 4,200 American soldiers that died in Iraq.

January 11, 2011 at 07:45 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. J R Brown

Way to throw teens under the bus here...it's a FACT that more women between 18-30 have their second abortion than teens between 13-17 do...check the CDC website. Teen moms aren't the bellweather for abortion...it's women too dumb to figure out what causes pregnancy in the first place.

January 11, 2011 at 08:01 | Report abuse | Reply
    • A. Goodwin

Or...it could be the mom who has several children all ready...whose family is struggling financially due to this uncertain economy that we lare living in...who simply cannot afford to bring another child into the world. Its not always "dumb" people...I know several educated women who have had abortions. Choice and free agency. For some, a saving grace.

January 11, 2011 at 08:27 | Report abuse |
    • CherryMama

To: A. Goodwin: If a gal already has a few kids, she should know better. She must be retarded not to undersdand where babies come from. As for the older women: they are stupid, too! The longer you are around, the more you should have learned.

January 11, 2011 at 15:20 | Report abuse |
    • A. Goodwin

CherryMama – Really, what's your point? Fact is, dispite being the most well educated person on earth, all birth control is not 100% effective. The only effective birth control is abstinance. For a married couple, abstinance is usually not an option. Dont pretend to know me...you have no idea what my age or education is. But for you to bascially state that just because a person has a few kids should know better is fairly ignorant. My scenario is not my own. I am making general statements as to why women would be provoked to have an abortion. 99.7% effective means there is still a chance for error = pregnancy.

January 11, 2011 at 15:40 | Report abuse |
    • CherryMama

I'm speaking of middle aged women, for whom I know a few, who just don't learn. I know BC isn't 100%, but after 5 or 6 kids?? Really?

January 11, 2011 at 15:57 | Report abuse |
    • WoodUshutup?

If you know women with 5 or 6 kids, you might live in a trailer park, ya loser.

January 11, 2011 at 21:43 | Report abuse |
    • WoodUshutup?

Oh, and just for your edification, you moron, CHERRY, I work with a woman whose husband had a vasectomy after they'd had two children and had decided that was enough to complete their family. Guess what, you twit? She became pregnant! They had the baby and adore the little one. Do you think she "should have known better"? I have news for you, you dolt. She's smarter than you, me and the rest of the dweebs here by a country mile. Get a clue, you birdbrain. You aren't the Oracle of Delphi. Shaddup already.

January 11, 2011 at 21:46 | Report abuse |
  15. rh

If they are not tracking Plan B, they are not tracking all early abortions.

January 11, 2011 at 08:08 | Report abuse | Reply
    • amy

an egg that doesn't implant is not a viable life form – therefore Plan B is not an abortion.

January 11, 2011 at 09:24 | Report abuse |
    • nygirl

Plan B isn't an abortion. Neither is the pill. Omg, you probably wanted Ken Buck and his personhood amendment too.

January 11, 2011 at 12:07 | Report abuse |
    • Caroline

BAHAHAHAHA good one @rh. I almost thought you were serious for a second

January 11, 2011 at 14:08 | Report abuse |
  16. yessir

Opponents of abortion, please adopt a child. The foster care system is already overwhelmed with unwanted children. Put your money where your mouth is and help with the solution.

January 11, 2011 at 08:16 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Billy

There is a waiting list for adoptions in the US, we import them from China and Russia...

January 11, 2011 at 10:40 | Report abuse |
    • WoodUshutup?

THere are thousands of children in foster care, waiting for families to adopt them. They're just not perfect little infants. If you only want one of those, then you're part of the problem, not part of the solution. And your desire to adopt isn't any less selfish than a woman's decision to end a pregnancy if she doesn't choose to carry it to term. All human actions are based to some degree on selfishness. If they weren't, the human race wouldn't have survived.

January 11, 2011 at 10:45 | Report abuse |
    • Billy

All of those in foster care are not available for adoption. Foster kids come with checks, adopted kids don't, I suspect that is also part of the issue.

January 11, 2011 at 11:12 | Report abuse |
    • Notmyrealname

So what? If someone really cared about having a child and not just getting a baby, there are plenty of children waiting right here.

January 11, 2011 at 11:14 | Report abuse |
  17. Ismet

Those of you LIBERALS that use weak arguments like "woman has the right chose" well, here is one for you: what gives her the right to chose on behalf of the baby?

January 11, 2011 at 08:27 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Observer

What gives you the right to decide if the woman WON'T have a choice? You don't know her physical and mental background, age, etc.

January 11, 2011 at 08:38 | Report abuse |
    • George

I hope all you CONSERVATIVES against a woman's right to choose is also against circmcision and a parent's right to mutilate without the child's consent.

January 11, 2011 at 08:55 | Report abuse |
    • George

Oh no wait circmcision is a religious right...so it doesn't fall under the category of making a decision for a child...

January 11, 2011 at 09:06 | Report abuse |
    • Steve

Because a sperm and egg joined is not a baby: its an embryo. You can call it a baby all you like, and attach all sort of strong emotions around its potential, but its still an embryo.

At some point in pregnancy which no one can agree on, that embryo becomes organized enough to be considered a baby, but not before.

January 11, 2011 at 09:20 | Report abuse |
    • Donna

It's her body! It just kills some people that they can't control it

January 11, 2011 at 10:10 | Report abuse |
    • elle

Cause it's in HER body, ya dick!

January 11, 2011 at 14:28 | Report abuse |
    • Jenifer

A baby cannot survive outside of the mother. She has every right.

January 11, 2011 at 17:26 | Report abuse |
    • Observer

The health of the mother is foremost. It is her call. The mortality rate for delivering a baby is much higher than that for having an abortion. It is getting more fatal for mothers to deliver babies than it has been..

January 11, 2011 at 17:30 | Report abuse |
    • WoodUshutup?

A woman "has the right chose"? Yeah, I'm going to consult you when I have a big decision to make, you loser.

January 11, 2011 at 19:40 | Report abuse |
    • LEB

Because it's her body, her health, her money, her life. Duh.

January 12, 2011 at 03:12 | Report abuse |
  18. M

Don't have access to contraception? What, because the Beer-Wine-Lotto-Liquor outlet was sold out? How about momma was too high or drunk to bother with personal responsibility, how about we just call it as it is? At least they're being aborted now instead of winding up on WIC, in HUD and being babysat by public schools before they grow up to be felons. I will never be able to comprehend how pro-lifers can call themselves "conservative" when they're trying to farm parasites to leech off the public coffers.

January 11, 2011 at 08:30 | Report abuse | Reply
    • CherryMama

That's the reality of it sometimes: plain and simple.

January 11, 2011 at 15:32 | Report abuse |
    • LEB

Birth control fails, you know. Taking anti-biotics and other medications can weaken the Pill's efficacy. So can missing a pill. So can being ill and not being able to keep the medicine down. So can switching brands of the Pill. Ask around among your acquaintance, and you'll be surprised at how many women you know got pregnant on the Pill.

This is why we need more birth control options for men, plain and simple. Men oft complain about condoms, yet a male birth control pill that stops sperm production would be MORE effective than pretty much every form of female birth control short of sterilization. And it would also stop men from complaining so much about child support and the biases of the family court system. You want people to take responsibility? Well, how about we start with that other 49% of the population that is 50% of the problem.

January 12, 2011 at 03:17 | Report abuse |
  19. Justin Observation

Education apparently works better than the fear and shame campaign of religions. Teen pregnancy rate in the Netherlands 7.7 per 1000, in the U.S. 55.6. Abortion rate among teens in the Netherlands 3.9 per 1000, in the U.S. 30.2.

If religious groups really want to reduce the number of abortions, they should support s3x education. Unless they don't really care about reducing the numbers, and they just care about spreading their religious beliefs and pretending the problems will go away if teens would just go to church. (s3x education also gives teens knowledge and self confidence, which actually increases abstinence, contrary to religion rhetoric.)

January 11, 2011 at 08:51 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Amanda

I had an abortion and am glad I had the choice to do so.

January 11, 2011 at 08:52 | Report abuse | Reply
    • CherryMama

You should have kept your knees together.

January 11, 2011 at 15:41 | Report abuse |
    • Seraphim0

And you, cherry, should have left your fingers off the keyboard.

January 11, 2011 at 16:07 | Report abuse |
    • WoodUshutup?

Why don't you keep your lips together, Cherry? Nothing good has come through them yet.

January 11, 2011 at 19:39 | Report abuse |
  21. BJ

It's interesting how the commenters railing against abortion the most are men. Abortion isn't black and white. There are many shades of grey. Most times it is a difficult decision for the woman (and man, perhaps) making it.

Great, your against abortion. Aren't you so righteous? Now mind your own business and leave the judgement to God.

January 11, 2011 at 08:53 | Report abuse | Reply
    • nygirl

They can go make little fundie babies with six different mothers and fill the trailer parks of the world : ). Maury always needs guests!

January 11, 2011 at 12:05 | Report abuse |
  22. BJ

Wanted to add that if don't believe in it don't have one and then go adopt and unwanted child...
    Jerks.

January 11, 2011 at 08:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Sad

It is so sad people think it is ok to murder a child. Not to mention the pain it will cause the person going through the abortion once they realize what they did.

January 11, 2011 at 08:56 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Observer

If it is murder, then why aren't you calling for all miscarriages to be investigated as possible homicides?

January 11, 2011 at 08:58 | Report abuse |
    • Sandra

A fetus/embryo isn't a 'life', so it's not murder. And of the women I know who have chosen to terminate an unwanted pregnancy due to failure in birth control, aren't in any pain and knew full well what they did. It's this simple: if you don't approve of abortion, don't have one, but keep your nose out of other peoples' reproductive lives.

January 11, 2011 at 09:17 | Report abuse |
  24. woshicara

It's ridiculous that the most effective forms of birth control require a doctor's note. Women can't get regular BC pills without a doctor's authorization, but we can walk into any pharmacy and pick up Plan B at any time. Why is the more reliable medication that prevents conception entirely more difficult to obtain than a pill that's less effective and is marketed as a last-ditch attempt to avoid pregancy? It makes no sense. Personally, I understand the arguments for and against abortion, so I have mixed feelings about it... but surely we can all agree that preventing pregnancy in the first place is a good idea. Effective contraceptives really should be easier and cheaper to obtain.

January 11, 2011 at 09:15 | Report abuse | Reply
    • CherryMama

Do you know what works really well, too? Keeping your knees together. If you really can't control yourself: go down to your local fabrication shop and have them make you a custom Iron Maiden.

January 11, 2011 at 15:34 | Report abuse |
    • Observer

What about the victims of crime? Should they get a CHOICE?

January 11, 2011 at 15:37 | Report abuse |
    • CherryMama

Yes, they should. Hopefully they report the crime right away so that the plan B pill could help early on.

January 11, 2011 at 15:54 | Report abuse |
    • Tia

Birth control needs a doctors prescription because it is just that, a prescription. Each pill has a different level of hormones in it and effects each persons body differently. Therefore a doctor must regulate a woman's use of it. Before you start ranting why don't you become educated about the point you are trying so hard to make.

January 11, 2011 at 19:51 | Report abuse |
    • WoodUshutup?

Cherry, if you were any dumber we'd have to water you.

January 11, 2011 at 21:40 | Report abuse |
  25. Jess

Killing a newborn is murder punishable by jail and a couple of months before a human being in early stages of development is just a way to get rid of unwanted problem...Do your research people, human life starts from conception....abortion is murder and tragedy that millions of women are paying for the rest of their lives!

January 11, 2011 at 09:17 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Sandra

No, Jess. Embryos and blasotcysts aren't 'lives'. You are. All conception is is a meeting of sperm and egg, it's not a life. You should get one.

January 11, 2011 at 09:19 | Report abuse |
    • Observer

Do research yourself. LIfe starts BEFORE conception. It would not occur without live sperm cells and eggs. So is any loss of such life MURDER to you?

January 11, 2011 at 09:20 | Report abuse |
    • Sandra

@Observer, that is hogwash. Religious dogma and rhetoric. Sperm and eggs aren't lives, they are germ plasm. You need a bit of education.

January 11, 2011 at 09:24 | Report abuse |

Sandra,

It is you who needs education. Do you really believe that sperm aren't alive?

January 11, 2011 at 09:26 | Report abuse |
    • Justin Observation

Observer, sperm might be "alive" but it is not a human life. If it were than master-bation would be murder. Trees are "alive" but cutting down a tree is not murder, nor is stepping on an ant, or putting a dog down. The legal definition of human life is decided by the courts based on current available science, not by preachers or ancient books. It's just how it is. Societies make laws, and societies obey them, and if desired, societies work to get them changed.

January 11, 2011 at 09:57 | Report abuse |
    • IntegralReality

Eggs and sperm are NOT ALIVE according to any defitinition offered by THINKING PERSONS.

January 11, 2011 at 10:01 | Report abuse |
    • WoodUshutup?

Egg and sperm are most certainly alive. So is a fetus. So what? Your fingernails are alive, too. That doesn't give them, or a fetus or eggs and sperm any right to live. The rights belong to the women who is carrying the fetus. And no, fingernails don't "have a life" anymore than eggs and sperm do-which is what Observer was saying. "Murder" is a legal term and abortion is not murder; never was. Even when it was illegal, it was never considered murder.

January 11, 2011 at 10:06 | Report abuse |
    • Jenifer

@Justin
      I wonder if you have kept track of the millions and millions of sperm you so carelessly discarded while masturbating. You murderer.

January 11, 2011 at 17:33 | Report abuse |
    • Jenifer

My last comment was meant for Observer... sorry Justin.

January 11, 2011 at 17:34 | Report abuse |
    • Jenifer

***@Observer***

January 11, 2011 at 17:36 | Report abuse |

@Jenifer,

: )

January 11, 2011 at 17:38 | Report abuse |
  26. Sandra

If men got pregnant, abortion would be a sacramental right. Embryos/blastocysts/fetuses aren't 'lives'. Can they survive outside of the woman? No. Once born, they are viable. And before you quote scripture, you should be advised that even your bibles say it's life when the blood flows or when the woman feels movement.

It's this simple: if you personally don't believe in abortion for whatever reason, fine, don't have one. No one is forcing you to, but do NOT impose your particular food group of religion/beliefs on those who believe that clean safe terminations are just between them and their OB/GYN.

January 11, 2011 at 09:23 | Report abuse | Reply
    • IntegralReality

That's just plain silly, there are plenty of men that don't fit your stereotyping.

January 11, 2011 at 09:42 | Report abuse |
    • Donna

I agree Sandra. The Bible ... YA! Guess who wrote that book! men?!

January 11, 2011 at 10:30 | Report abuse |
    • nygirl

Actually, the bible says life begins at first breath. Just saying.

January 11, 2011 at 11:55 | Report abuse |
    • Jenifer

I absolutely agree with you

January 11, 2011 at 17:38 | Report abuse |
  27. IntegralReality

Really, the only argument against abortion is a religious one. Just like their opposition to marriage equality, the christo-fascists in America, the closest thing our great nation has to the Taliban, they cannot win on anything other than violence and violent rhetoric.

January 11, 2011 at 09:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. emib499

Sounds like having one is the greatest thing ever from some of these posts...but am wondering if any woman who has had one, in her heart of hearts, lying in her bed at night, ponders how to answer for it when she meets her maker. That is a personal question for her, so you folks who think it's all well and good can't answer that, since you don't believe in God. I'll see how long it is before someone says God doesn't exist, etc. But you know he does...
    One other thing, seems the motives or drivers for having abortions are all selfish ones, can't afford to have a baby, impact my life in other ways I don't want (maybe cut out a vacation or two, or can't buy the new car, guys won't date me if I have a baby, etc) seems all selfish motives, i do love the ones who are "looking out for the planet" though, such martyrs..

January 11, 2011 at 09:42 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Observer

Trying to use the Bible as an argument against abortion is not a good idea.

The Bible is full of commands from God to kill women. NOT ONCE does God give a rip if the woman is pregnant or not.

January 11, 2011 at 09:58 | Report abuse |
    • WoodUshutup?

Good thing you don't have to concern yourself with a woman and her "maker" or what she thinks or feels, bub. It's none of your business and not your decision. I might as well wonder how you answer for your actions in not adopting or fostering children who have no parents, or allowing yourself to spend time on this board instead of helping the homeless, feeding the hungry, and comforting the lonely and the sick. Get off your cross, buddy. We need the wood.

January 11, 2011 at 10:00 | Report abuse |
    • IntegralReality

You are the American Taliban!
      How long until you start throwing acid on the faces of women leaving clinics?

January 11, 2011 at 10:02 | Report abuse |
    • Jason

Oh please save it for Sunday School

January 11, 2011 at 10:06 | Report abuse |
    • WoodUshutup?

Anyone who is simple-minded enough to imagine that ANYONE thinks having an abortion is "the greatest thing ever" is really just not playing with a full deck. No woman blithely strolls down the street pregnant and decides, "I think an abortion would be a great experience. I'll just trot on down to the clinic and get me one." Don't be so ridiculous. You are degrading women and your post shows nothing but disregard and disdain for their ability to decide what is best for themselves. Good thing no one requires your approval or cares about your opinion, since abortion is and will remain none of your business unless you're the one who's pregnant.

January 11, 2011 at 10:11 | Report abuse |
    • emib499

Bub? Nice one dude..
      you seem concerned with my actions woodushutup. now why would that be..oh yea..you know what everyone should be doing as you while away your unemployed hours taking a stand against all who dare disagree...so how do you know i haven't adopted, supported orphans home, helped the poor, etc...would you feel better if the cross was made out of recycled materials?

January 11, 2011 at 10:15 | Report abuse |
    • WoodUshutup?

OOOhhh, goody. Guess I hit a nerve. Hope it left a mark.

January 11, 2011 at 10:21 | Report abuse |
    • WoodUshutup?

Why is it that every dumbbell who's anti-choice is so undereducated that he/she can't figure out how to use apostrophes, but thinks he/she is qualified to dictate to someone who has a brain how she ought to run her own life?

Get a clue, dear. Your opinion on abortion is irrelevant. The only opinion that matters is that of the woman who's pregnant. I'm sure it's hard to bear, but you'll get over it.

January 11, 2011 at 10:24 | Report abuse |

emib499,
      Probably NO ONE likes abortion so get real. Everyone, however, is "pro-abortion" if things get horribly bad enough. EVERYONE is "pro-life" - it just matters if that life is a fetus or the mother.

The real issue is whether you are PRO-CHOICE or ANTI-CHOICE.

January 11, 2011 at 10:24 | Report abuse |
    • nygirl

The minute anyone uses religion as a justification for anything I immediately assume they are mentally challenged and uneducated and stop listening.

January 11, 2011 at 12:00 | Report abuse |
  29. Richard

January 11, 2011 at 09:46 | Report abuse | Reply
    • A. Goodwin

Richard – A) What websites are you going to for statisctal data? B) Was the data from pre-2000 or from current statistics? (please post a link...if you woulnd't mind) Yes, per capita NY and CA will have more abortions since HELLO – more people. But if you look at the rates based on per-capita demographics, then my originally statement is correct.

January 11, 2011 at 10:09 | Report abuse |
    • Richard

Sorry, I meant to post the above as a reply to Nate (I subsequently did)...

... notice I used the term RATE- nothing to do with state population whatsoever.There are plenty of acceptable sources out, but one I would perhaps recommend is http://www.johnstonsarchive.net/policy/abortion/. The stats are collected by a physics PhD(!) from reputable sources, and the figures a very up to date. Not sure where you get your stats from?

January 11, 2011 at 10:19 | Report abuse |
    • nygirl

Makes sense, religtards who won't teach their children about birth control.

January 11, 2011 at 11:51 | Report abuse |
    • dalis

@ nygirl What do you have against the mentally retarded? Do you really have to use this degrading language ("–tard")? No, you don't.

January 12, 2011 at 01:44 | Report abuse |
  30. Stating the obvious

Unwanted pregnancy so have an abortion... unwanted pregnancy so put baby up for adoption... hmmmm.

What ever happened to, "I don't want to get pregnant, so, I will keep my legs closed?" I mean, really... if you don't want to have a baby, simply do not do the deed that makes the baby in the first place. There are so many other ways to express love for another and satify need to affection.

Problem solved. No population boom... no abortions....

January 11, 2011 at 09:59 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jason

How about mind your own business

January 11, 2011 at 10:05 | Report abuse |
    • WoodUshutup?

He/she is too busy passing judgment on how others mind theirs.

January 11, 2011 at 10:07 | Report abuse |
    • Liz

If men had the ability to get pregnant, I wonder if you feel the same way,

January 11, 2011 at 12:17 | Report abuse |
  31. Mr. E123

It is my opinion that most prolife and prochoice people would like to see a decrease in abortion. The argument is over whether a woman has a right to one. Regardless of your stance, I think we can all agree that reducing abortion would be a good thing. We need to offer some type of incentive system that would compensate women considering an abortion to go full term and place the baby up for adoption. This would decrease it for sure.

January 11, 2011 at 10:02 | Report abuse | Reply
    • dalis

"We need to offer some type of incentive system that would compensate women considering an abortion to go full term and place the baby up for adoption".

I would support such a measure, but I can tell you that there would immediately be opposition from people both opposed to welfare and those who want a strict population control policy. And the immediate assumption of many would be that women would hire out their wombs in order to rake in the income over and over again. Would they be wrong?

January 12, 2011 at 01:51 | Report abuse |
  32. Jason

OH Shut up!, Just Shut up! If you don't like abortion don't have one. Its that easy. Other than that its none of your business!

January 11, 2011 at 10:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  33. Jason

Abortion will always be legal. It just makes religious people feel good about themselves when they criticize and fight it

January 11, 2011 at 10:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  34. Kate

The U.S. government has a program in place to increase the abortion rate in Iraq.

The U.S. uses depleted uranium bullets that explode on impact. The exploded uranium then blankets the entire city. Now, in falluja 14% of the babies are spontaneously aborted, 15% of the babies have serious defects and 11% are born less than 30 weeks.

The Bush and Obama administration have done a wonderful job in promoting abortions in countries that we don't like. Aren't those great results? Pro-Choice and Pro-Life advocates should be really happy with the results!

January 11, 2011 at 10:17 | Report abuse | Reply
    • WoodUshutup?

And of course, you can produce proof of this absurd claim, can't you? The National Enquirer doesn't count. Look out for the black helicopters, dear.

January 11, 2011 at 10:20 | Report abuse |
    • Kate

Woody – tell us, is ignorance really that blissful? Or, does having an empty head hurt very much?

January 11, 2011 at 10:25 | Report abuse |
    • WoodUshutup?

You tell me, bozo. You're the one that's dim enough to think there's some campaign to cause abortions among the populations of other countries. Idjit.

January 11, 2011 at 10:27 | Report abuse |
    • WoodUshutup?

*crickets chirping* Come on, Kate, where in the article does anyone accuse the US of purposely using weapons to systematically cause abortions and birth defects? I've read it several times and there's not even agreement on the cause of these effects. I'm sure you must have some inside information on it; why aren't you sharing it?

January 11, 2011 at 10:42 | Report abuse |
    • Stating the obvious

Dear Kate... you copy and pasted quite well from a website that also has articles such as, "Former U.S. Air Force Officers Recount Experiences With UFOs at Nuclear Missile Bases".

DUB... Depleted Uranium Bullets... are used as anti-tank ammunition. The deleted uranium is used in these bullets because it is extremely dense... about 2x the density of lead. So, the density of the bullet makes it effective against a tank. The uranium in a DUB is DEPLETED... which means that it is very weakly radioactive... it is the heavy metal toxicity that may create any health concerns that could be raised. The heave metal toxicity of uranium is about that of lead.

That said... That military personnel and others who may have had contact with depleted uranium from munitions are suffering from various illnesses is not in dispute. That their illnesses are attributable to their exposure to uranium is very, very unlikely. Health physicists are deeply concerned with the public health and welfare, and as experts in radiation and its effects on people and the environment, are quite aware that something other than exposure to uranium is the cause of the illnesses suffered by those who have had contact with depleted uranium from munitions. A truly enormous body of scientific data shows that it is virtually impossible for uranium to be the cause of their illnesses. Despite this body of scientific data to the contrary, misguided or unknowing people continue to allege that the depleted uranium, and specifically the radioactivity associated with the depleted uranium is the cause of these illness. This is indeed unfortunate, for health physicists and other scientists and physicians already know that depleted uranium is not the cause of these illnesses and thus any investigations into the cause of these illnesses should focus on other possible causes.

January 11, 2011 at 10:47 | Report abuse |
    • Stating the obvious

Dearest Kate... Do you realize that 12.5% of the babies in the United States are born prematurely? You said that 11% of the babies in Iraq were born prematurely and that it was caused bye DUB... so... are you really stating that DUB actually HELPED the pregnant women in Iraq carry the baby closer to term?

Just wondering.

January 11, 2011 at 11:07 | Report abuse |
    • Stating the obvious

Sweet Kate... One more thing you allege to be improved in Iraq by the use of DUB... are spontaneous abortions (AKA MISCARRIAGES). You stated that 14% of babies in Iraq are now spontaneously aborted. Did you know that in the United States of America... if the mother is healthy...her chance of having a miscarriage is estimated to be somewhere between 15 and 20 percent. For those in less-desirable physical condition, the odds could go as high as 25 percent.

Interesting, right? Before you allow internet articles to sway you into believing in conspiracy theories of how "BAD" the American Government behaves... make sure that you compare the data used as "proof" of wrong-doing is actually something to be concerned about. Compare the data you are getting persuaded by... look at actual scientific data and statistics from around the world... and make sure that you are concerned about something that really is a problem. Make sure you investigate before you believe.

The Internet is not a reliable source of information... get off-line and get your information from various sources... then, compare and contrast. Do not just blindly believe what you read as fact.

January 11, 2011 at 11:20 | Report abuse |
  35. Cole

woshicara brought up an excellent point that got lost in all the BS (from both sides). Mainly, the need for a prescription for contraceptives. Sure, like any drug, contraceptives have risks, but there are more dangerous drugs that are OTC. Make an OTC version and it's virtually a guarantee that the rate of abortions, teen and unwanted pregnancies will drop. That's a good thing for everyone.

As for the issue here, it's simple for me. Freedom of speech is a good thing that also has negatives; hate speech, those monsters protesting funerals and the guide to pedophilia are some examples of the bad. Whether or not you like it, it's protected under the same right that grant us the right to say what we want. Carry that over to your body.

You have final/only say in what goes on in your body. That's a good thing. You can drink alcohol, no one can force you to give up an organ and so on. Abortion falls under that. Like it or not, you can't tell another person what they can or can't do to their own bodies.

January 11, 2011 at 10:42 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Notmyrealname

Excellent post, Cole. Thanks for being a voice of reason. I hope the extremists will pay attention, but sadly, I doubt it.

January 11, 2011 at 11:13 | Report abuse |
    • nygirl

Thank you. No one LIKES abortion, but I don't think a bunch of fundie crazies get to make decisions about my body. Period. I have thankfully never had to have one, since my parents allowed me to get birth control, and didn't treat me like the sacred virgin.

January 11, 2011 at 11:47 | Report abuse |
    • carla

@ nygirl No, they treated you like an untrustworthy wh0re instead. In supplying you with BC, they assumed you couldn't not have s3x.

January 11, 2011 at 15:12 | Report abuse |

Carla,

Do you really intend to call Bristol Palin that?

January 11, 2011 at 15:25 | Report abuse |
    • CherryMama

To NYGIRL: your unfit parents should have clapped your a$$ in an Iron Maden. You are an untrustworthy Wh0re.

January 11, 2011 at 15:38 | Report abuse |
    • Observer

Sarah Palin wouldn't like to hear you call her daughter that.

January 11, 2011 at 15:42 | Report abuse |
    • A. Goodwin

CherryMama – Thanks for clarifying that you are infact a TROLL.

January 11, 2011 at 15:47 | Report abuse |
  36. justanotherop

I just wanted to comment on the abortion talk. I am not pro life but but pro-choice. Abortion as a contraceptive technique is morally reprehensible (imho) but IS a choice. We don't have to know the reasons not do I, personally, want to. And that is the beauty of pro-choice. Everybody wins!

January 11, 2011 at 11:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  37. Liz

I think religious zealots cause too much confusion where abortion is concerned so I'll make this as simplistic as I can. No one has the right to use your body against your will. It's why civilized countries prosecute rapists. If a woman doesn't consent to being a hotel for 9 months then she doesn't have to be. No woman should be subject to the numerous health concerns that plague some pregnancies, and no woman should have her schooling and/or career interrupted against her will.

This isn't selfish. This is her right as a human being. That fetus is as human as a fingernail, or a piece of hair and AS LONG as it resides inside the host, the rights of the host take precedence to the rights of the fetus.

Life isn't miraculous. Human beings kill every single day. It's in our nature. This is no different.

January 11, 2011 at 11:31 | Report abuse | Reply
  38. nygirl

You know what I hate? Pro-life men. It just gauls you that you can't control us and make all of our decisions? Misogynist jerks.

January 11, 2011 at 11:49 | Report abuse | Reply
  39. Pat

What you do today, you'll have to sleep with tonight.

January 11, 2011 at 11:50 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Liz

I know.

I wonder how meat eaters live with themselves :/

January 11, 2011 at 11:52 | Report abuse |
    • WoodUshutup?

If I'm the one who has to sleep with it, why are you worrying about it?

January 11, 2011 at 12:13 | Report abuse |
  40. Jenifer

No one is actually for abortion. Those of us who are pro-choice only want choice. I could definitely see how aborting a child would trouble a mother for the rest of her life, but that's why young mothers need to learn about all the different choices.
    On the other hand, if a woman were to become pregnant after being rapped and she felt that her best choice was to abort the baby, it's HER own choice! Law makers or outsiders should NOT have a say in what a woman can and cannot do to HER OWN BODY.
    It shouldn't even be possible for others to decide our fate in a courtroom. PERIOD.

January 11, 2011 at 12:24 | Report abuse | Reply
    • WoodUshutup?

What the nutty anti-choice zealots don't seem to comprehend is that when a government or any other third party is allowed to decide what a woman should do regarding her pregnancy, that means it can decide either way. If the government can tell you that you MUST continue a pregnancy regardless of your wishes, it can just as easily tell you you MUST terminate one. Suppose the government tells you that you've already had 3 kids and that you can't have more. Or that genetic testing has determined that your fetus will be born with a disability that will cost taxpayers more to provide health care for and that you must therefore end the pregnancy for the good of the state?

Think that's impossible? Tell that to the women in China.

January 11, 2011 at 22:40 | Report abuse |
  41. Jenifer

It is so irritating that Christians think their commandments apply to everyone, or that they have the right to dictate what kind of dark ages laws should pass. If it were up to them, women would still be expected to be subservient to men since Eve committed the original sin.

January 11, 2011 at 12:30 | Report abuse | Reply
    • nygirl

We're nothing but vessels for their sacred seed in their pea brains.

January 11, 2011 at 13:27 | Report abuse |
  42. More, More, More!

More Contraception = More Unplanned Pregnancies = More Abortions.
    The more a person contracepts, the greater the chance it is going to fail at some point.

Simple statistical math really, and PP knows it, which is why they keep pushing contraception and then keeps raising the quotas for the number of abortions that their clinics MUST perform each month. I mean seriously, if PP really wanted to eliminate abortion, then why are they increasing quotas and opening MORE abortion clinics and not LESS?

January 11, 2011 at 13:05 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Observer

The poster child for unwanted pregnancies is Palin who preached abstinence and we saw how well that worked in her family.

January 11, 2011 at 13:14 | Report abuse |
    • the truth

@goodwin
      I completley agree with your comment. I grew up in Utah where ex education is poor at best. I watched many of my peers get pregnant and complicate their lives. Luckily I learned from there mistakes and used contraceptives. I later married my high school sweet heart and we are actually planning our kids. Our youth just needs to be more informed about preventing pregnancy.

January 11, 2011 at 16:27 | Report abuse |
    • WoodUshutup?

Oh, what utter claptrap. Get a clue. More contraception and better contraception lead to better lives for women. Too bad if you're against it-just don't use any yourself. You don't have any say over the personal choices others make.

January 11, 2011 at 18:15 | Report abuse |
  43. Native American

It doesn't go away just because you make it illegal. Back-alley abortions take more lives than legal ones do because they are done by methods which are far likelier to either kill the mother or at least make her infertile, thereby essentially "killing" any future children she would not have aborted. If you are really "pro-life", you should support keeping abortions legal, because legal abortions take the fewest lives. At least the doctor tries to safeguard the mother's life. And besides, why would you want to promote the wealth of back-alley illegal abortionists? That's what you are doing if you illegalize it. Look at how filthy rich the drug cartels are. You think they want drugs legalized? No way.

January 11, 2011 at 13:21 | Report abuse | Reply
  44. Joe

Perhaps it'll eventually be seen of like slavery. Not an issue at the time, but repugnant when you think about it. The child has rights too.

January 11, 2011 at 14:17 | Report abuse | Reply
    • displeased

It's not a child. Do you call an egg a chicken?

January 11, 2011 at 14:24 | Report abuse |
  45. soy sauce

The people on here claiming that abortion is genocide and murder are the same ones who squash spiders and swat flies. If you feel life is sacred, then that includes ALL life. When you swat a fly, remember that fly is more physically complex and developed than the fertilized ovum that a woman aborts. You are a fly murderer. An egg is not a chicken.

January 11, 2011 at 14:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  46. mouse

a blame people that promote abstinence rather than controseptives. That would keep a lot of unplanned babies from being born...

January 11, 2011 at 15:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  47. the truth

More Contraception=less pregnancy because people having kids at an early age are not using contraceptives. Its a known fact that we have the highest teen pregnancy rates, not because we go at more, but because we dont make contraceptives more available to our youth. Seems moronic to me that we try to promote abstinence.

January 11, 2011 at 15:42 | Report abuse | Reply
    • A. Goodwin

I agree. The sad part too is that those who are usually against abortion are also typically against s ex education in the schools. If left up to the religious right, kids would only get s ex education through their parents. Problem is, not evey parent is good at relaying that info correctly – the parents become part of the problem.

January 11, 2011 at 16:01 | Report abuse |
  48. tommas

you need legal abortions plain and simple. If don't it will be performed in back alleys. Prohibition never works, education is the key. If you don't won't abortions to happen go into the ghetto and start handing out free birth control. Better yet, educate yourself and finalize the research on the male birth control pill. Anything else is stupid and pointless

January 11, 2011 at 16:50 | Report abuse | Reply
    • the truth

agreed the real problem is we dont provide contraceptives to our youth. I even know of some insurance plans that dont cover contraceptives which is ridiculous.

January 11, 2011 at 16:55 | Report abuse |
  49. Get a grip!

Abortion is simply the smart, intelligent, logical, sensible thing to do for a lot of people, yet many women feel that they have a right to make the decision on their own.

1.) You should get an abortion if you are not financially ready to support a child
    2.) You should get an abortion if you are not mentally ready to support a child
    3.) You should get an abortion if your partner has made it clear that they are not ready financially/mentally for a child- it should be a joint decision in which both parents agree that having the child is in the best interests of them and the child

I agree that adoption should be an alternative to abortion for any women who feel that aborting a child is murder, but so many women who are not ready in any way to support a child are having children and giving their children less than adequate care and attention.

And to those women who feel that its their body and if they want to have the child it doesnt matter what the father thinks-consider the long term impact a child has on BOTH of your lives, although legally women have the right to make the decision alone it is absurd to think that it only effects them
    -– I am a male, yes, and women oftentime don't think about things from mens point of view, if men could get pregnant, and women couldn't, would a woman who had a one night stand with a man ( where the man got pregnant) and she had no desire whatsoever to raise that child with that man, ( either she wasnt ready to have a child or to have a child with that man)would you think it was fair if that man FORCED you to become a parent, had the child without your consent, and if you opted not to help raising the child that man could then force YOU into paying child support for 18 years???? Its ABSURD!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 11, 2011 at 17:42 | Report abuse | Reply
    • What to Do

Get a Grip

Your comment is probably one of the reasons why GOD decided That men should never be able to bear children

January 12, 2011 at 14:18 | Report abuse |
  50. LizardMom

Metabolism refers to all the physical & chemical processes in the body that convert or use energy, such as: breathing, circulating blood, controlling body temperature, etc. Lysis means to break down, usually requiring enzymatic activity.So you propose to enzymatically break down the metabolism of the fetus? And about “distinct neural activity beating a distinct human heart;" I have never heard of a neuron beating a heart. Every myocardial cell has the potential to initiate a contraction. As for neural development, let’s just say that neurons who wire together fire together. Myelination is key, here, Kim! I'd say you may need a little more myelin, too.

January 11, 2011 at 18:13 | Report abuse | Reply