home
RSS
Flu and You: A weekly perspective
January 7th, 2011

Flu and You: A weekly perspective

With the holidays over, the trickle of students returned to school and employees trudged back to the office, swapping viruses and germs.

But last week,  between December 26, 2010  to January 1, 2011, flu activity decreased slightly compared with the week prior, according to the latest data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

There were four deaths related to the flu that week, including one pediatric, and 206 reported hospitalizations. Flu-like activity was highest in New York City and the Southern states of Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana.  For more, visit the CDC.

1. 5456110

The Swine Influenza has struck back with a vengeance. All the parents will lose their firstborn sons to the flu because they didn't heed the doctor's recommendation for a vaccine.

January 7, 2011 at 20:46 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Nursehope

What? It is a virus. More people die from the common flu (complications associated with) than the swine flu with or without the vac. Get a grip and grab a glass of OJ!

January 7, 2011 at 23:16 | Report abuse |
    • jmlislove

Enjoy living in your plastic bubble of never-ending fear.

January 8, 2011 at 07:32 | Report abuse |
    • meconium

They need to invent a font for sarcasm. Either that, or people need to try to key into the context of comments before they reply to them... I lose my faith in humanity a little bit more every time I read these comment sections >.<

January 8, 2011 at 16:20 | Report abuse |
    • Deeza

You must be kidding, right? If not, you need some serious help. What next, God sends down a lightening bolt?

January 9, 2011 at 15:40 | Report abuse |
    • Ross

Hopefully – "you" are a "firstborn"!

January 9, 2011 at 20:51 | Report abuse |
    • Suzanne

Please stop posting idiotic comments. "Firstborn sons"?? What do you think this is, the New Testament?

January 10, 2011 at 13:13 | Report abuse |
  2. The_Mick

Of the four deaths, it's likely they weren't caused directly by the flu, but by pneumonia – which is often the bacterial rather than the viral variety. There is a pneumonia vaccine that's good for at least 5 years – some say one booster shot gives you lifetime protection. I make sure mine's up to date to provide a second line of defense along with the flu shot.

January 7, 2011 at 21:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. charles s

The best thing to prevent illness is wash your hands several times a day. When I get home from shopping, I wash my hands. After using the bathroom, I always wash my hands and use paper towels to open doors. I clean the shopping carts before using them. At the gym, I clean every piece of equipment before and after using them. I started doing the hand washing when H1N1 flu started up last year. The one thing that I noticed was that I stopped getting colds almost completely. I believe that clean hands make it harder for infectious agents (bacterias and virus) to cling to hands. I am sure that it would help almost everyone. You do not need to use anti-bacteria soaps, plain Ivory soap works fine and it is gentle on the hands.

January 7, 2011 at 22:53 | Report abuse | Reply
    • joe

aren't you a great little do-gooder.. go back to bed.. chit head...

January 8, 2011 at 07:53 | Report abuse |
    • John Freeman

I don't wash my hands unless I get feces on them and I don't get sick either.

January 11, 2011 at 09:39 | Report abuse |
  4. KC

GOOD JOB CHARLES! WASHING HANDS IS ONE OF THE BEST THINGS WE CAN DO TO PROTECT OURSELVES!
    PEOPLE SHOULD ALSO REMEMBER NOT TO RUB THEIR EYES! THE EYES ARE A GREAT PORTAL FOR GERMS!

January 8, 2011 at 00:59 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Ross

and ALWAYS use condoms.......

January 9, 2011 at 20:53 | Report abuse |
    • haarkonen

true, and caps lock alert!

January 9, 2011 at 21:03 | Report abuse |
    • TexSteve

Both very true. Trust me, not putting the seat back down can result in serious bodily injury.

January 10, 2011 at 13:40 | Report abuse |
  5. P berry

No.1 i want u to know u sound like dumb ***. There will be no such thing. Maybe u need god.

January 8, 2011 at 01:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. juan

No.1 you are so dense

January 8, 2011 at 06:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. silvercursehero

Montana checking in. Had the flu for about 5 days now 😦

January 8, 2011 at 07:42 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. joe

I'll never never get a flu shot again.. after the CDC exposed themselves to be nothing more than a tool of the drug companies and running up a huge bill seliing 'swine flu'... the faith is gone.. forever...

January 8, 2011 at 07:51 | Report abuse | Reply
    • notmyrealname

Good. Don't get yourself or your family immunized. No one cares if your genes are eliminated from the pool, butthead.

January 8, 2011 at 15:34 | Report abuse |
    • TexSteve

The moon landing was a hoax! Global warming is a government plot to advance the cause of global warming! Paul really is dead! I saw big foot!

January 10, 2011 at 13:42 | Report abuse |
    • gdnght10

The CDC is just a fast track to executive at Merck or SmithKline...barring you don't rock the boat.

January 10, 2011 at 15:59 | Report abuse |
    • notmyrealname

There was another shooter on the grassy knoll in Dallas! There are alien bodies in Area 51! The government just won't tell you!

January 10, 2011 at 17:26 | Report abuse |
    • notmyrealname

Uh-huh, sure thing, gnight. Because no government employee in the Department of Homeland Security or in the US military EVER goes to work for a defense contractor or consulting firm (otherwise known as a "Beltway Bandit") after retiring. Nuh-uh. Never happens.

Dope.

January 10, 2011 at 17:28 | Report abuse |
  9. miranda

i think my kiddos have just the common flu, fever and vomiting..... 😦 going on four days now....any recommendations?

January 8, 2011 at 15:57 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Valerie

Plenty of liquids and rest. If it is the flu, then they have a virus, so not much else you can do. If any of them have a fever that goes over 103 and doesn't go down with either pain medicine or a cool bath, then you should head to the doctor/urgent care clinic. If those are not open then go to the emergency room, but only if that's your last option, because it will cost much much more considering it is the ER.

January 8, 2011 at 17:06 | Report abuse |
  10. miranda

Thanks for the advice! 🙂 Seems like flu season hit us early this year.... 😦

January 9, 2011 at 00:43 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. heatherrn

Influenza is a respiratory illness, not a GI one, although many people call vomiting and diarrhea "the flu.". Use tylenol and motrin for fever and let the stomach rest if actively vomiting. Once no vomiting for four hours, start drinking electrolyte solutions.

January 9, 2011 at 00:48 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Ben Barsi

Yeah I think I'll continue to let my body build its natural anti-bodies to the flu without getting a vaccination. Your body is made to build it's own defense duh!

January 9, 2011 at 04:35 | Report abuse | Reply
    • notmyrealname

Duh. Immunization helps your body's immune system, goober.

January 9, 2011 at 16:49 | Report abuse |
  13. jenna

I get the flu an things fast so u really have to look out for older people and kids mostly I got phneumoina from the kids next dooor now im in the hospital for a few days.Wash ur hands cover up good becarefull

January 9, 2011 at 04:45 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. wendy555555@hotmail.com

well my husband and i just got over the flu for 2weeks 5 days of which were sick in bed; we dont go out around crowds ect and we didnt have the flu shot never have, 2 days before christmas a friend said he was coming to visit i cooked up a nice dinner he came for a couple of hours his wife was sick he said she just had her wisdom teeth out, so no problem so far; well he called her before he left to see if she needed anything on his way home he had her on speaker phone and she sounded like death warmed over; guess what her and 2 kids one of which works at nursing home all sick in bed and guess what all four had the flu shot next day he is in bed sick and the next day we were in bed; now you tell me how this is possible; people with flu shots getting and spreading the flu; i will never take their shot its a scam filled murcury and placebo cooked up by the phamacuticals (sp) oh and the best remedy uncle buckleys it tastes awful but it does work

January 9, 2011 at 09:07 | Report abuse | Reply
    • notmyrealname

please, go back to school.

January 9, 2011 at 16:50 | Report abuse |
    • notmyrealname

A vaccine doesn't protect people instantaneously, for Pete's sake. Don't you read? It takes about 2 weeks after you get vaccinated to gain the full benefit. And even then, there's no absolute guarantee you won't get the flu, but if you get one of the strains matching the vaccine, you are likely to be less severely affected by its symptoms.

How do you even have a computer and know how to turn it on?

January 9, 2011 at 16:53 | Report abuse |
    • Ross

dont be so f'n ugly dude – take your midol.........

January 9, 2011 at 20:56 | Report abuse |
    • notmyrealname

Take yours, sweetcheeks. You need it.

January 9, 2011 at 22:19 | Report abuse |
  15. R.B.

Charles, I take all the same precautions you do. Even before grocery stores started putting disinfectant wipes out for your carts I was carrying them with me to use wherever needed. But I still get sick regularly.

January 9, 2011 at 10:03 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. tierra

I have been vomiting for a week now n having fevers n diarrhea

January 9, 2011 at 13:45 | Report abuse | Reply
    • haarkonen

fascinating

January 9, 2011 at 21:05 | Report abuse |
    • SilentBoy741

That may not be the flu. It sounds an awful lot like Taco Bell...

January 10, 2011 at 06:19 | Report abuse |
  17. Amy

Those four people that did pass away from the flu, did they have other complications?

January 10, 2011 at 02:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. BRBSanDiego

Thinning the herd in the four dark orange zone states will be a posiive development.

January 10, 2011 at 16:16 | Report abuse | Reply