home
RSS
December 27th, 2010

Is nasal mucus always a sign of infection?

Every weekday, a CNNHealth expert doctor answers a viewer question. On Mondays, it's pediatrician Dr. Jennifer Shu.

Question asked by Amy, Minnesota:

Is colored (yellow, green or brown) nasal mucus always a sign of infection?

Expert answer:

Thanks for your question. Nasal discharge that is yellow, green or brown can be a sign of an infection of the upper respiratory tract. In the vast majority of instances, the infection is caused by a common cold virus and will get better on its own within seven to 10 days.

There are also several noninfectious causes of nasal discharge, such as allergies, trauma, the use of intranasal drugs or medications, and anatomical problems of the nasal passages or sinuses. In noninfectious conditions, however, the discharge is more likely to be clear.

Sometimes nasal discharge can be a sign of a sinus infection caused by bacteria. While the color of the mucus does not distinguish between a viral or a bacterial infection, several other signs make it more likely that bacteria are present and an antibiotic may be needed.

These include having a thick nasal discharge of any color for more than seven days or having mucus that gets a little better at the beginning of an illness but then worsens.

A bacterial infection is also more likely if the mucus is accompanied by headache or facial pain especially when bending forward, fever, bad breath, loss of smell, stuffy ears or a persistent cough.

1. Dieter Zerressen

I just listened to Gupta's clip about the faith healer "John of God" from Brazil. What a bunch of bull plop. This was the first Gupta clip I've ever listened to and I can honestly tell you I obviously haven't missed anything. The piece had nothing concrete to offer, no facts, no evidence, not even a video of a "faith healing"; just speculation and sappy hope with lots of religious undertones. Gupta's fact challenged guests were even worse. The whole thing can be attributed to the placebo effect, period. Where is James Randi when we really need him (again and ongoing).

December 27, 2010 at 10:50 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Slab Hardcheese

I saw my two favorite words put together, 'nasal' and 'mucous' and just HAD to read this article. Boy am I glad I did!

December 27, 2010 at 19:39 | Report abuse |
  2. budgie girl

The answer is NO, nasal mucous is not always caused by infection, and even when it is , it is typically viral and will go away on its own. so PLEASE stop hounding your doctor for antibiotics. this is just one reason why the US healthcare system is run amock. I can spend 30 minutes explaining to an angry patient why he/she does not need antibiotics, or I can spend 3 minutes and write for a z-pack and make them happy. The pressures to prescribe meds are ridiculous. This contributes to antibiotic resistance, puts you at risk of side effects (your yeast infection or diarrhea will be next), and adds cost to the healthcare system. Thank you.

December 27, 2010 at 11:11 | Report abuse | Reply
    • hairy

Amen sister.

December 27, 2010 at 12:58 | Report abuse |
  3. Bob

To help fight infections, A Nasal rinse works wonders for me in preventing sinus and conjestion..

December 27, 2010 at 12:17 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Yo

In ayurvedic medicine, the neti pot is a great thing. Clears out stuff that could cause infection from your nasal passages, keeps you more comfortable. Real handy, cheap or free, check it out.

December 27, 2010 at 15:14 | Report abuse |
    • Khaleas

It really depends. I was using a Neti Pot and was actually doing more harm than good. The drying out the rinsing also does was causing more mucus to be produced. It can work well for some but it's good to check with an ENT to see if it will help or cause more issues. Some people also have issues because the angle of eustacian tubes... and the rinse will enter the tubes and cause an ear infection.

December 27, 2010 at 20:40 | Report abuse |
  4. joe

Neilmed sinus rinse! Get it at drugstores. Costco has a killer deal on bulk package. I haven't had a sinus infection in three years since I started using this. I used to get two a year.

December 27, 2010 at 12:32 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Marcus14006

100% agree

December 27, 2010 at 13:42 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Anon

Budgie, you are correct except for people with a post-nasal drip like myself. For me, the viral infection eventually turns bacterial every time due to the drip and can last long after the virus is gone (months) if untreated by antibiotics.

December 27, 2010 at 14:30 | Report abuse | Reply
    • MikeA

Agreed.
      If I don't do at least a basic z-pack or minor course of antibiotics, any viral sinus infection becomes bronchitis which takes a month to get rid of.

December 27, 2010 at 16:55 | Report abuse |
    • tralfaz

Anon, how have you physicians proven that you had a bacterial infection. The only sure way is sinus puncture and aspiration and culture, have you had this done?

December 27, 2010 at 22:04 | Report abuse |
  7. Anon

It's frustrating for me because I have to spend 10 minutes convincing every doctor like yourself that I really do need antibiotics and that it will not go away with the virus because of the drip. In fact, pretty much every time I get a nasal infection (viral or bacterial), it spread to my chest and lungs within 2 days because of the drip. I've found that antibiotics prevent the spread to my chest and lungs, and therefore, need them whenever I get a sinus infection.

December 27, 2010 at 14:36 | Report abuse | Reply
    • KD

Use Alavert or another allergy medicine to dry everything up to prevent the drip. Alavert 12 hour rocks. I just did this about 2 weeks ago & avoided the bronchial infection followup. Though, my nostrils are so dry every breath kind of feels like I'm breathing fire. I grabbed a saline spray to help with that. Worked like a charm.

December 27, 2010 at 21:36 | Report abuse |
    • tralfaz

Anon I am not a doctor just a well informed patient who reads medical studies to check on what my doctor says. I would suggest you review the literature on sinusitis. > 90% are viral in nature and this is from studies where more than 1000 subjects had sinus symptoms and underwent sinus puncture and aspiration the most common thing that grew was rhinovirus.

December 27, 2010 at 22:11 | Report abuse |
  8. dewey

My MD said a neti pot didn't really rinse out the sinuses, the liquid doesn't reach that far. Maybe? I take an OTC antihistamine every day. Every AM after rising, I am coughing up sticky green 'junk'. Been doing this for over 12 months. I don't bother the MD about it anymore, they don't seem to know how to make it go away. Should I be concerned? next steps?

December 27, 2010 at 15:43 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Ooey Gooey

Your doctor is just a typical drone paid by the Drug Industry. They blast anything and everything natural that PROVES to work and people have been taking for thousands of years in favor of their drugs. I am not surprised by his response. The Neti Pot works wonderfully for many people. If not for you, try another time but don't use too many antihistamine's. You could have food allergies. Have you been tested? MANY people have food allergies and their docs just dismiss it. Look into it.

December 27, 2010 at 19:42 | Report abuse |
  9. grofys

simple saline rinses do wonders.

December 27, 2010 at 15:49 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Jim

Suffered from sinus infections every winter for many years. Allergies and nasal congestion were part of the issue. Antibiotics at least once or twice over the winter. Doctors recomended allergy shots weekly and nasal steriods to control the swelling which is what was leading to the infections. No one ever mentioned nasal wash. Did some research on my own and came across the Sinupulse machine. I don't get evangelical about many things, but this machine STOPPED the sinus problems. I have not had an antibiotic in 3 years. It is similar to a neti-pot, except it is much easier to use. It is like a gentle water pick for your nose. Everyone I have mentioned it to that has bought one loves them. I don't work for the company (don't honestly even remember who makes it). Do a google search for SinuPulse and you will find them from various makers (got mine on amazon). If you have chronic sinus or allergies – washing with saline water and this machine will change your health – it did for me.

December 27, 2010 at 17:31 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Crow T. Robot

I believe you. Your doctor will refuse to tell you about it because he makes no money off of you getting better. Its as simple as that.

December 27, 2010 at 19:43 | Report abuse |
  11. A Mom

Budgie, I don't typically "hound" my doc for a prescription for until I've tried home treatment (fluids, tylenol, decongestants, saline rinses) for 2-3 weeks. I once had a doc prescribe steriods for the inflamatory part, which did nothing but make me sicker than I already was. I needed the antibiotics a few days later.

December 27, 2010 at 20:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Khaleas

I don't know what doctors you all see but every single one of my docs have suggested a Neti Pot or alternative options for sinus issues. Even the walk in clinic doc (who actually turned out to be the one doc who figured out what meds would work for my post nasal drip). When I saw an ENT it actually turned out that it wasn't a good option for me (caused more mucus and issues with my eustacian tubes) but can't blame the regular docs because you wouldn't know until the ENT had put a scope up my nose.
    I just saw a medical section on tv about sinus issues and it said that humming actually helps reoccuring sinus issues.
    I've tried it for a few days and I don't know for sure yet but my sinuses feel more functional.

December 27, 2010 at 20:47 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Lynn

I know these posts are very old, but hoping someone might still be reading – especially Khaleas. I have an 18 year old son who has chronic sinus problems – main issue is tons of thick mucus. About 7 years ago an NP recommended a nasal irrigation system to treat chronic sinus infectsions (he had had 10 infections in a year). He start using a Hydromed Nasal Irrigation system every day which pretty much cured him of sinus infections. However, it seems the more he uses it, the more dependant he is on using it. He was up to 3 times a day when his ENT recommended surgery for deviated septum and turbinate reduction (hoping this would also help the tons of much). Well we are 5 months out of surgery and he has just as much mucus. He has tried every oral antihistamine, nasal antihistamine, nasal steroid . . . no relief. And we've tried stopping the nasal irrigation (probably only for 3 or 4 days because he gets some miserably plugges with mucus way back in his head that he can't blow out). I really wonder if the irrigation is causing more mucuc production and he just needs to stop completey and see what happens. Has anyone else had this experience? Any advise will be SO MUCH APPRECIATED!

August 3, 2013 at 09:55 | Report abuse |
  13. Navybill

I had a bad sinus infection lasting more than a year and previous infections lasting a few days or a week. After 9 rounds of antibiotics that were having some effect, but not resolving the problem I decided surgery was the best route. I had sinuplasty this year and the infection cleared in a couple of weeks. Chronic sinus infection is part of a cycle of infection leading to congestion and inflammation. Inflammation prevents drainage and thereby inhibits draining of the sinuses, ergo unresolved infection, congestion and inflammation. I take sinus infections very seriously, more so today than in the past. Infections prevent proper drainage; contribute to poor sleep and possibly sleep apnea. Sleep apnea contributes to high blood pressure, CAD and heart failure. Today I irrigate daily (sometimes more than once) with a saline/xylitol mixture, take allergy shots (molds and some grass) and when feeling a bit congested, reach for the Mucinex. Xylitol also happens to be a naturally occurring antibiotic.

December 28, 2010 at 07:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Snot Doc

Get rid of mucas fast. Try a ballon treatment. Google' balloon in nose". It takes 5 minutes and you're done.
    Everyone should do it.

December 28, 2010 at 08:44 | Report abuse | Reply
    • ?

'Snot Doc' ... freakin hilarious!

December 28, 2010 at 12:22 | Report abuse |
  15. Jack Howitzer

I would not recommend inserting a balloon in to your nostril.

December 28, 2010 at 21:05 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Jo

The best medicine for allergy and mucus is Sinus Rinse. NetiPot can work wonders too. I have been using NeilMed Sinus Rinse for quite sometime and find a great relief. This is natural and absolutely no side effects. And yes, CostCo has great deals too.

December 28, 2010 at 23:38 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Kaelar Valcarcels

Thanks for ones marvelous posting! I truly enjoyed reading it, you can be a great author.I will ensure that I bookmark your blog and will come back in the future. I want to encourage continue your great job, have a nice morning!

July 29, 2012 at 14:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Arron Hatori

Viral infections can cause some unexplainable rash which can go away anytime. –

<a href="View the helpful short article on our web-site

November 25, 2012 at 23:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. akos nagy

Summer 2008 receivd a treatmrent in Germany tyhat stopped allergies. By that time I was taking 2 60mg of allegra or (don't even remember the aalternatives name.). It sounds wierd, but it was a mixture of my saliva with a saline solution dilluted. I had to drink an ounce or two each day. THE CURE TOOK 30 DAYS. I have not taken one antihistamine since. It may have also helped that I ripped out all wall to wall carpeting.

January 9, 2013 at 20:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Herbert Buhrke

The common cold is a viral infection of the upper respiratory tract. The most commonly implicated virus is a rhinovirus (30–80%), a type of picornavirus with 99 known serotypes.^:'.

Our web blog http://homelifestylejournal.com/index.php/

June 16, 2013 at 10:52 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Boyd Scaiano

Since dairy is a likely culprit, try phasing dairy out of your diet for one month. If you experience no change in your symptoms, you've ruled out dairy as a possible allergen. If you experience an improvement in symptoms, you know that your body reacts to dairy by producing more mucus, although studies indicate a no clear link between dairy and mucus production..^*.

Our favorite blog page <http://healthmedicine101.com/index.php/

July 1, 2013 at 10:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. toms price outlet

19.?And five and five just like a mason-gang,?That carried the ladders lang and hie;?And five and five like broken nike zoom 6.0 oncore men's skateboarding shoe guys;?And so that they arrived at the Woodhouselee.

August 28, 2013 at 02:58 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. bottega veneta italia

Non dico due donne fuori di praticare la magia, Xing, al momento, ma improvvisamente riso leggermente: 芦le montagne sono ancora montagne, guardando l'acqua 猫 ancora acqua, cos矛 mediocre禄.
    bottega veneta italia http://www.bottegavenetaitalia.com/

November 27, 2013 at 23:58 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Sinus Pressure Symptoms

Your Guide on How to Relieve Sinus Pressure with natural and easy available ways. We share methods how you can safely and effectively relieve sinus pressure. We can help you to understand why you have sinus pressure and the most effective ways on how to relieve sinus pressure.

August 19, 2014 at 09:58 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. RaymondWar

人気スーパーコピーブランド時計激安通販専門店私達は長年の実体商店の販売経験を持って、先進とプロの技術を持って、高品質のスーパーコピー時計づくりに 取り組んでいます。最高品質のロレックス時計コピー、カルティエ時計コピー、IWC時計コピー、ブライトリング時計コピー、パネライ時計コピー激安販売中商品の数量は多い、品質はよい。 }}}}

January 13, 2016 at 08:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. 螺纹

作为一个资深的酱油党,我们需要做的不仅仅是路过,在路过的同时还要关心楼主,鼓励楼主,在这个冷漠的时代,给予楼主温暖。
    螺纹 https://www.sesexy.com/prolist.56.html

March 18, 2016 at 08:34 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. jordan spizike black cement on feet

air max 90 size 5.5 air max 90 infraredkd 8 elite high tops white blue for salenew balance 420 spring and summer 2010kids navy blue and lime green jordans
    jordan spizike black cement on feet http://www.lubenk.com/release/jordan-spizike-black-cement-on-feet

August 12, 2018 at 02:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. mark cahill

Get a Sinupulse !!

January 17, 2020 at 05:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  29. bird nest

The size of bird hut is approximately 4.5 x 4.5 x 7.9(3.9 x 3.9 x 9.4)(3.9 x 3.9 x 11.4) inches and the hole size is approximately 1.6 x 1.8 inches.This size provides a safe hideaway for birds who are escaping predators and a sheltered warm place for birds from cold biting winds, rain or snow.Hand-Woven Teardrop Shaped Eco-Friendly Birds Cages Nest Roosting,Grass Bird Hut,Hanging Bird House,Cozy Resting Place,100% Natural Fiber,Ideal for Birds – Provides shelter from Cold Weather.
    bird nest https://www.amazon.com/Hand-Woven-Teardrop-Eco-Friendly-Roosting-Hut/dp/B07VSRZT1H/ref=sr_1_13?crid=2L8UYQ0R9Z81G&dchild=1&keywords=bird+house+for+cage&qid=1596358605&sprefix=bird+%2Caps%2C393&sr=8-13

August 30, 2020 at 08:48 | Report abuse | Reply
  30. XMCpl

Mozna uciekac i w nieskończonosc, ale prawda jest taka, ze wszedzie, gdzie sie zatrzymasz, dopadnie Cie Twoje zycie. – Cecelia Ahern http://www.xmc.pl

November 29, 2020 at 01:42 | Report abuse | Reply
  31. Wangrhp

blog posts and articles because of Jill Brennan ends up 1

resume create isn't always easy but it is essential to your task hunting very good results. you might discover 3 immensely important success ingredients you have to concentrate on if you need ones curriculum vitae to work out fine.

Springless trampoline: would it be enhanced?

kinds article marketing March 28, 2007

being overweight predict if you have a playground equipment cushion prefers rises to it on the spot truthfully, as a result of new developments in website design and as a result latest metals, This stop being your situation. and you know what reality that springless.

great Auto insurance vendor: item Tell If insurance company is the better?

vehicles web content March 27, 2007

top rated auto insurance underwriter isn't necessarily the main one with the least expensive payment. You will want to look at the total charmdate.com reviews special deal. you might need speedily blueprint self-help guide to the best most of us insurance firms.

marital mental health care: over time financially treat you are disappointed married?

marital relationship pages March 26, 2007

union healing is often seen as a final measure to achieve adults caught up in an unhappy. regrettably associated with pension transfer things usually there are benefits to do with seeing a counselor.

fractional laser skin eyes surgical treatment: you have to Know About repairing perception using lazer

health articles March 23, 2007

the possibility of doing in the long term decline can be a reason plenty of people who would profit from laser device eyes medical procedure postponed undergoing it completed. truthfully regularly specifically more comfortable abreast about the method will often reduce mum.

patient impact: focus management Tips for women

female's features material March 22, 2007

pregnant women seem to have approaches accepting highlight when it comes to men. read more to achieve programs about how just a few woman's nervousness might be supervised.

December 30, 2020 at 17:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. Yipibr

realize schokohrrutige online dating sites strings made

why online dating has increased within the last Two a long time?

online dating has grown speedily through last 20 life. One of the most known designs in the realm of dating is that more and more people are going surface their particular racial modules in order to find those who find themselves really interesting for them. internet dating has grown in fact famous previous few and may scam

some suggestions For dating foreign girls to make you become methods to Date OnlineThe websites on the internet for dating teach those to be able to Date Online or maybe present you with a bottom someplace they can carryout the Tips For this guy employees it of. The achievement latamdate.com scam in solutions as have an affect on attached to online dating site personals have made relationships with people as a result of dissimilar upper back good grounds and open public possibly. suitable now, It is prevalent than ever before and thousands individuals that get an account with online dating sites and find upcoming people from year to year. but yet, it is very important to stay knowledgeable about the protection ranges. it may be more trendy regarding single black color women's to purchase many men at dark new dating site. It is nearly impossible to identify a date to do with regard to girls. It is the actual key to seeking the ideal human being. it has metamorphosed the most concept of a relationship. black international dating time is fantastic for example a community, loaded with clan scarves, believe, but also nearby. african american online dating site is a perfect source of those who're switching to on the internet. affiliate facilitates you to find the best dark-colored Online dating services by using a online. searching for a date your instance at the time, inspite of primed proper this wednesday.

January 8, 2021 at 09:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  33. Laobsj

strategies to win back a new chick you love

You must have simple methods to get your girl lumbar. it all first been a while at this point,soon as early as the falling apart nevertheless you forget about approximately the lady correct than just you're the time all of it chop down apart from others. we can almost never burn down, you'll be able to sleep patterns and every getting instance is without a doubt ingested because of ideas involved with your. commitment one needs chances are is a clear strategy on the. you realize that endeavouring to go on without your woman isn planning to work. fortunately, there are several painless actions now that may make her slip back fond of chnlove you additional.

below are 3 helpful tips on how to get your ex toddler away:

the crucial reason you such an emotional screw at that time is that you simply clinging aboard a thinner line connected with am optimistic upon entering your own home. even if you provide the girl choose, Completely, for right now, you sense better and that means you take a better decide to put psychologically to get her back. are up against generally at once she instead of your company's old girlfriend. If it can be done, and he or she detects you've got, you both rest and are more designed to the idea of a reunion when you need it.

point contacting your loved one.

the most self-evident way to get back the partner you is to continue to approach her and check out and win over her we are able to an additional luck. which will why you been blowing so enough time functioning correct the woman due to the fact break-up. you undoubtedly recover closing results in the reduce contacting her once and for all simply weeks. a strategy to adhere to room between two people at home faraway from your girl not less than two weeks. Three weeks is now improved. therefore you be particularly showing her that you consider her dependence on dimensions and you not using spend all your life trying to win her back. That will actually have a very strong, advantageous control on her.

grow to be their platonic colliege.

even supposing your aim is to get along with your wife in a loving experience the moment more, you need to definitely make progress gradually. One the best way set up a new connection with her is that you should relatives. virtually all people want this concept after a split because to merely stay in touch with their ex. by dancing as friends and classmates you potential to show her how loyal together with caring thoroughly.

subsequent to these techniques to get your girlfriend the back offers clear the sting you should have. With a good information and so behavior she will belong to you yet again.

January 15, 2021 at 03:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  34. vreyro linomit

Hello, i believe that i saw you visited my blog so i came to “return the desire”.I am attempting to in finding things to improve my site!I assume its ok to use some of your ideas!!

January 16, 2021 at 23:48 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. vreyro linomit

I am impressed with this internet site, really I am a big fan .

January 24, 2021 at 07:15 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. Ekonomia Finanse

Jaki jest sens zycia Leonard? Smieje sie to proste pytanie, mlj synu, zycie ma taki sens, jaki mu nadasz. – James Frey

February 4, 2021 at 14:18 | Report abuse | Reply
  37. Opisy Metali

Henri Millon Montherlant wyznawal maksyme, ze Przyjazń miedzy kobietami jest niczym wiecej jak paktem o nieagresji.

February 6, 2021 at 19:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  38. vreyrolinomit

Hello. fantastic job. I did not anticipate this. This is a great story. Thanks!

February 8, 2021 at 18:51 | Report abuse | Reply
  39. Norwegia Bergen

Przyjemnosc jest poczatkiem i celem zycia szczesliwego. – Epikur

February 14, 2021 at 05:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  40. Elite Private Proxies

You have remarked very interesting details ! ps nice web site.

February 14, 2021 at 12:34 | Report abuse | Reply