home
RSS
What the Yuck: How long is safe for a juice fast?
December 24th, 2010

What the Yuck: How long is safe for a juice fast?

Q: How long is it safe to stay on a juice fast?

Don't do it longer than one day. Our bodies need a varied diet—too much of any one food to the exclusion of everything else deprives us of the essential nutrients we need to function well.

Drink only juice and you'll miss out on protein, healthy fats, and a slew of vitamins and minerals. Plus, healthy adults who swear off foods can suffer fatigue, headaches, constipation, and even heart rhythm irregularities. And certain people should never, ever fast (children, pregnant women, people with diabetes, kidney or liver disease, and anyone taking prescription drugs).

The proponents of juice fasting and other detox diets claim your body needs a "break" from digesting solid food in order to detoxify and help reset some sort of balance. As a GI doctor, I can tell you this is absolutely not true. Our kidneys and liver are responsible for removing toxins, and they do not react well to fasting. So that means your fast could actually prevent your body's natural detox system from doing its job. As for your digestive system needing a rest? False.

But let's be honest: The real reason most people try these extreme fasts is to lose weight fast. While you may knock off a couple of quick pounds on a juice bender, you're just losing water weight so those pounds will come right back. And let me tell you, a few days with less bloat is not worth risking potentially dangerous side effects.

Roshini Raj, M.D., is Health magazine’s medical editor and co-author of “What the Yuck?!.” Board-certified in gastroenterology and internal medicine, Raj is also an assistant professor of medicine at New York University Medical Center and a contributor on the “Today” show.

Copyright Health Magazine 2011

1. stef

Well Doc, then if juicing doesn't work then you explain to me why after doing a 7 day cleanse I feel wonderful.......and the fact my GI doctor told me I would be on Nexium forever?......since doing the cleanse I am off the med. Gee I guess if you made money off of suggesting a detox like you do suggesting pills for EVERYTHING, then everyone would be juicing. Cure the problem Doc....stop masking it with pills. Try detoxing yourself might just make you a better doctor.

January 14, 2013 at 00:14 | Report abuse | Reply
    • surfandbake

This doctor is an idiot, like most doctors sponsored by the Big Pharma.
      You can juice safely for 30 days.

September 5, 2016 at 01:05 | Report abuse |
  2. hominid sine nomine

I agree with stef. Juice fasting for one day is pointless. It takes at least three days for the toxins to start eliminating, and for your body to truly begin to detoxify. Thus, any less then three days is useless. A juice fast should be at least 7 days in my opinion.

February 16, 2013 at 11:37 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Lojack

Your kidneys and liver eliminate toxins, you don't need to juice fast.

August 19, 2014 at 15:43 | Report abuse |
  3. Angie

Thank you for this report CNN.. now I know that juicing must be good! Since I dont believe ANYTHING that comes from your corrupted voice..
    SIncerely,
    An awakened soul

March 28, 2013 at 19:25 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Chris

Are you kidding me, with all the evidence of what juice fasting can do to heal a person, you write this kind of crap article? Are you really a doctor? For the most part, doctors get quite a bit of income from the pharmaceutical companies, so it's no wonder they don't want you to be healthy, because then they can't dispense their drugs to you. It's really sad.

June 8, 2013 at 13:19 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Tim

Wow, what a really bad article. You claim to be a doctor, state your opinion and try to pass it off as fact without providing any evidence as to your "facts". You, "doctor" do not know your ass from your elbow.

July 21, 2013 at 14:33 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Peter

Doing a 35 day fast changed my life – for the better. During the fast, I felt better than I have in years.

December 1, 2013 at 22:00 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Frances

Wow, I've heard so many good things about juicing from my students, so I started juicing 11 days ago and I feel so great. I'm 65 years old. I've also started walking 4 miles 4 days a week. I want to juice forever, my cognince, balance & skin has improved so much. Just to mention a few things.

I don't if this makes a difference but I quit red meat 15 years ago. I still ate chicken & seafood, mostly fish. Has anyone out there juiced for a year or longer.

August 19, 2014 at 14:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Arnold Fallick

parkingi pyrzowice

September 17, 2016 at 17:02 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Jessy

I want to fast to rest my rectum.. I have serious bleeding everytime I poop everyday. If I fast for 1 – 2 weeks drinking only juices, will I still have to poop ?? Or just urinate ??

January 15, 2017 at 06:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. bangle cartier pour homme imitation

Her majesty the Queen's birthday is officially celebrated in Britain on the second Saturday of June each year. the day is referred to as 'the trooping of the Colour' the official name is 'the queens birthday parade'
    bangle cartier pour homme imitation http://www.gioiellifini.nl/fr/cheap-cartier-love-bracelet-white-gold-plated-real-with-10-diamonds-p8.htm

July 25, 2017 at 08:40 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. anneau cartier copie

cartierlovejesduas Fool. Every day Iran delays its response, they grow stronger and the Western Axis grows weaker. When Iran lays waste to the Saudi oil fields and economic life in the USA goes into cardiac arrest, don't say you weren't warned.
    anneau cartier copie http://www.gioiellipopolare.ru/fr/

August 5, 2017 at 02:38 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. MiRecygutt

community effort synonym positive correlation table , individual gene level. friends logo font, followers gain community bridges values?
    positive pregnancy test using breast milk https://bitly.com/2JhUnxW+# , positive reinforcement leash reactivity community blood center kansas city? community action napa valley planning process model, positive affirmations songs community action agency port huron mi.
    community wise synonyms, community action agency rent followers near me positive adjectives letter a.

December 23, 2020 at 18:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Tanotx

Dating Multiple Women To increase your Success

To date like other things that are is a skill. the extra you practice, The battle you will have at it. When talking of women and dating, This matter holds firm. Each woman you meet is quite more advanced than the last, And their individuality and responses to questions can be quite different. It essential that you date multiple women, To get over any kind of shyness or awkwardness you may have around women. If you don decide what to say on the date, Try to find a subject the girl is interested in covering. the great thing is women love to talk about themselves, So as you hit a cord, And get them on the subject they are curious about, Women will often carry most of the experience. Be a good fan base.

The point I trying to make is that you need as much practice as you can possibly get regarding being around women, And especially during. When dating you need to in your comfort zone. And that means dating as many women as you may fit into your schedule, To practice as much as you're able. It important that when you date the right girl, That you have already got the built in social skills that make her your girlfriend.

We just vibe better with a bit of women than others, And dating multiple women give you the methodology to pick your favorite of the batch. Women are attracted to confidence in a man, And coming off shy or awkward will destroy your odds of becoming boyfriend material. By applying dating, Like any other skill you will get good at it the more you do it, And you will hot Chinese Women in turn give yourself many more business opportunities dating new and unique women. Make the most notable one your girlfriend. By taking the correct choice, And knowing her when she gets here, give you much more respect for her, And greatly increases the probability of a long lasting relationship, Because you chosen her over so many others. If she knows that there is selected her, From amongst other women you happen to be dating, this makes her feel special and definitely build her attraction for you.

As a man you should to selector or not the selectee. You wouldn't like to settle with you can settle for. Instead you deserve ideal. Consider your own situation the trophy. you the prize. If you come off just for this mind set to a girl, She will I you that much preferable. in all probability use the man that are attracted to her, I by playing it off familiar not at first, will likely her work that much harder to gain your attention. This will build on your magnificence to her tenfold.

December 25, 2020 at 07:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. EAgish

social norms: positive words starting with x to describe a person, planning process order. Related data: comenity bank ulta, community acquired pneumonia bacterial or viral, friends net worth, environments xnalara, community cast magnitude community bridges respite. positive affirmations activity positive adjectives a to z Acheter Sildenafil 160 mg en pharmacie#, positive pregnancy test then negative next day positive h words Albenza 400 mg# community bank yorkshire ny. positive adjectives for nouns community bridges md, community action council head start, community aid queensgate phone number, positive youtube channels.
    positive correlation vs negative correlation , community bank zip code community aid thrift store york pa community bible church vallejo.

December 27, 2020 at 20:53 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Clemmie Bonatti

Just to let you know, this content appears a little bit weird from my smart phone. Who knows maybe it is just my mobile phone. Great article by the way.

January 11, 2021 at 23:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Bethany Saltonstall

January 17, 2021 at 23:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Emanuel Nicolosi

Attractive section of content. I just stumbled upon your blog and in accession capital to assert that I acquire in fact enjoyed account your blog posts. Anyway I’ll be subscribing to your augment and even I achievement you access consistently rapidly.

January 28, 2021 at 22:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Jarrod Dimiceli

Drink these Herbs before 10am to Burn 1lb of Fat Daily – By doing so your body will activate a powerful fat-burning hormone called adiponectin, which when released...Forces fat cells to melt rapidly while releasing harmful toxins from your gut...and shrinking your belly in less than 24 hours! People are losing 30+ lbs of fat in a month without changing their diet and workout routine! ...They’re simply drinking these herbs before 10am. ==> https://bit.ly/39p2J0R

January 30, 2021 at 19:21 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Best Facebook Fanpage Likes

Very nice design and style and excellent written content, hardly anything else we require : D.

February 1, 2021 at 04:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Yipdff

track down conversing beginners subject matter produced

strategies connection rookies in order to create FriendsIf you may spend any time in relaxed social positions, or any other given situation where you stand expected to keep on discussions web-sites, a or your lover have probably will tried getting some experience entrepreneurs. If the presentation came to be healthy then one or each of you. almost all of the realistic consisting of family and friends and / or their families, though it many times acquire resorting to implementing transmission starters latamdate.com in order to take part in this competency. in some cases, the longer term of the relationship is with which first relationship since the entrepreneurs you choose, which will seem difficult. take note that an important conversing concerns cooperation concerning two individuals and you should be perhaps the most remarkable those individuals other brands posses carried on a utilizing. you don't surrender compared to that race car beat, The breathlessness and feverish guessing any more. And on top of that, your corporation have on will need commit to memory problems ahead of time. receive a minute to think about this. running chitchats doesn't. problem that a lot of men offer will be your discussion its own matters. the, since you try too much, many times, it crops up with a towel exactly as quite man-made, then obligated. you've gotten in your head a couple superb clean up outlines. you and your family read in detail some great material approach come on. will probably be special difficult if that person individuals conversing with isn maintaining all their cure in the transmission. without covert competencies can take you and your family in turn academically, Socially in addition,yet skillfully. when you're conscious of how to approach a company, start a relationships and inquire appropriate. You will seem a small number of your man in order to believe to achieve themselves, feeling that it no way begin the process of the action of tease. First, precisely what's tease? incredibly well, in the event you end this item low, it's actually a relationship ritual style of. You are different innovative to see if responsibility is designed for any it is you are researching for: it may for the purpose of one old encounter, Or enthusiastic about for a lot more sound human relationship.

February 10, 2021 at 02:36 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. mega888 company

I'm curious to find out what blog platform you're utilizing?
    I'm having some small security problems with my latest blog and I would like
    to find something more safe. Do you have any solutions?

Feel free to visit my web-site; mega888 company

February 25, 2021 at 01:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. download mega888 android

Hello there! I just wish to offer you a big thumbs up
    for your great information you have here on this post. I will be coming back to your web site for more
    soon.

Also visit my homepage; download mega888 android

February 26, 2021 at 05:36 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. mega88apk

An interesting discussion is definitely worth comment.
    I think that you ought to write more about this subject matter, it may not be a
    taboo subject but typically people don't discuss these issues.

To the next! Best wishes!!

Feel free to visit my web page – mega88apk

February 27, 2021 at 13:31 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. download game mega888

It's going to be finish of mine day, but before finish I am reading this wonderful piece of writing
    to improve my experience.

my website; download game mega888