home
RSS
Alternatives to mercury dental fillings
December 16th, 2010

Alternatives to mercury dental fillings

Mercury fillings have had a murky history. Used for more than a century, the American Dental Association says they're safe, but all you have to do is google "dangers of mercury fillings" to see that a whole host of people disagree.

Like the dentists' group, the Food and Drug Administration has said mercury fillings are safe, but now an FDA committee is advising a second look at the issue based on  new data.

While the FDA considers whether they want to mull over the safety of mercury fillings, we empowered patients can take action of our own.

First, read why the FDA thinks mercury (or amalgam) fillings are safe. If you're not convinced, you can ask your dentist for alternatives to mercury fillings, such as resin composite fillings. If your doctor still recommends mercury, ask why.

In some situations, mercury fillings are the best option, says Dr. Matthew Messina, an ADA spokesman. For example, if the filling is in a tooth that's difficult to keep dry, resin composite fillings might not work well since the filling needs a dry environment while it's being applied and cured.

But in many cases, an alternative should work. Messina says in 2003, the most recent year for which data is available, only 30% of patients received mercury fillings.

"The number of people who get them continues to fall because they're not the prettiest," Messina says. "Given the choice, people opt for something that looks more like teeth."

Beware a higher dental bill if you choose an alternative to mercury. At dental offices we called, a mercury filling for a medium-sized cavity costs about $175 and $225 for a composite. Your dental insurance might not pay for the more expensive type unless there's a reason you need it.

Your insurance also likely won't pay for you to get your mercury fillings yanked out just because you're worried about mercury toxicity, Messina says.

1. jack

Remember, the alternative materials commonly used, composite resins, have this stuff in them:

BEA
    Trihexylamine
    Triphenylphosphine
    Triphenylstibane
    Urethane-di-methacrylate

December 18, 2010 at 17:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Sky

I really wish this website would be more specific as to WHAT I ASKED FOR!!!

March 22, 2012 at 12:21 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Audreyv Gamacher

I was just seeking this information for a while. After 6 hours of continuous Googleing, at last I got it in your website. I wonder what is the lack of Google strategy that don't rank this kind of informative web sites in top of the list. Usually the top web sites are full of garbage.

July 26, 2012 at 13:25 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Stevie Coulon

That is the best search system in the world

April 15, 2017 at 08:52 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Jefferson Heatley

And indeed, I’m just always astounded concerning the remarkable things served by you. Some four facts on this page are undeniably the most effective I’ve had.

November 22, 2017 at 17:49 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Donn Feenan

November 18, 2019 at 11:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Tena Keri

December 14, 2019 at 05:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Daren Guitian

(I wish to show thanks to you just for bailing me out of this particular trouble.As a result of checking through the net and meeting techniques that were not productive, I thought my life was done.

January 11, 2020 at 01:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Hui Guzzi

GreetingsHey thereHeyGood dayHowdyHi thereHello thereHiHello! This is my 1stfirst comment here so I just wanted to give a quick shout out and tell yousay I genuinelytrulyreally enjoy reading throughreading your blog postsarticlesposts. Can you suggestrecommend any other blogs/websites/forums that go overdeal withcover the same subjectstopics? Thank you so muchThanks for your timeThanks a tonAppreciate itThanks a lotMany thanksThanksThank you!

February 5, 2020 at 20:00 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Dustin Louchen

hihello!,I loveI really likeI like your writing sovery so muchmucha lot! percentageproportionshare we keep in touchkeep up a correspondencecommunicatebe in contact moreextra approximatelyabout your postarticle on AOL? I needrequire an experta specialist in thison this spaceareahouse to solveto unravelto resolve my problem. May beMaybe that isthat's you! Taking a lookLookingHaving a look forwardahead to peerto seeto look you.

February 9, 2020 at 03:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Von Sicilia

April 18, 2020 at 03:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Willena Wisenbaker

Very goodAmazingAwesomeSuperbWonderfulFantasticExcellentGreat blog! Do you have any recommendationshintstips and hintshelpful hintssuggestionstips for aspiring writers? I'm planninghoping to start my own websitesiteblog soon but I'm a little lost on everything. Would you proposeadvisesuggestrecommend starting with a free platform like WordPress or go for a paid option? There are so many choicesoptions out there that I'm totallycompletely confusedoverwhelmed .. Any recommendationssuggestionsideastips? Thanks a lotBless youKudosAppreciate itCheersThank youMany thanksThanks!

June 1, 2020 at 02:07 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Michelle Marcinko

HiHelloHi thereHello thereHowdyGreetings, I thinkI believeI do believeI do thinkThere's no doubt that your siteyour websiteyour web siteyour blog might bemay becould becould possibly be having browserinternet browserweb browser compatibility issuesproblems. When IWhenever I look at yourtake a look at your websiteweb sitesiteblog in Safari, it looks fine but whenhowever whenhowever, ifhowever, when opening in Internet ExplorerIEI.E., it hasit's got some overlapping issues. I justI simplyI merely wanted to give you aprovide you with a quick heads up! Other than thatApart from thatBesides thatAside from that, fantasticwonderfulgreatexcellent blogwebsitesite!

September 28, 2020 at 06:43 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Glory Arbertha

I blog quite oftenfrequentlyoften and I reallytrulygenuinelyseriously appreciate yourthank you for your contentinformation. The articleThis articleThis great articleYour article has reallyhas truly peaked my interest. I am going toI willI'm going to bookmarkbook marktake a note of your siteyour websiteyour blog and keep checking for new information aboutdetails about once a weekonce per week. I subscribed toopted in for your RSS feedFeed as welltoo.

November 25, 2020 at 11:44 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Lorena Breazeal

Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering if you knew of any widgets I could add to my blog that automatically tweet my newest twitter updates. I've been looking for a plug-in like this for quite some time and was hoping maybe you would have some experience with something like this. Please let me know if you run into anything. I truly enjoy reading your blog and I look forward to your new updates.

November 27, 2020 at 19:28 | Report abuse | Reply