home
RSS
Get Some Sleep: No snoring is safe
December 14th, 2010

Get Some Sleep: No snoring is safe

Every Christmas Eve it’s the same story: Dad has too much eggnog and too much turkey and the next thing we know, there he is in front of the fire, snoring like a freight train. We use to always have a chuckle at his expense before nudging him awake and urging him up to bed.

Well, the laughing stopped a long time ago because as a sleep physician I have learned that snoring can be a serious sign of sleep apnea and sleep apnea increases the risk of high blood pressure, heart disease, stroke, diabetes and obesity. Sleep apnea, as I think most people know, is a collapse of the upper airway during sleep that leads to frequent mini-awakenings of which the patient is rarely aware. It often causes a lowering of the oxygen levels.

How well are you managing your diabetes? Take this test

We use to think that if people snored, but they tested negative for sleep apnea, then this was mostly a nuisance for the bed partner. We called this “benign” or “primary” snoring and we rarely treated it. That is all starting to change.

Now there is more than one study showing that snoring alone (without sleep apnea) increases the risk of serious disorders such as stroke and metabolic syndrome. This is important news because snoring is so common and so treatable. One large study of middle -aged men and women found that roughly 45 percent of men and 30 percent of women were habitual snorers. Occasional snoring is virtually universal.

An important study, published in the December issue of the journal SLEEP, gives new evidence for snoring as an independent risk factor for metabolic syndrome. Metabolic syndrome is a constellation of abnormalities that includes high blood pressure (130/85 mmHg or higher), increased fasting glucose level (100 mg/dl or higher), increased triglycerides (150 mg/dl or higher), decreased HDL levels (less than 40 mg/dl for men, less than 50 mg/dl for women) and increase abdominal obesity (waist circumference greater than 40 inches for men and greater than 35 inches for women. If people have more than three of these five abnormalities, then they are said to have the metabolic syndrome which then increases their risk of cardiovascular disease and type II diabetes.

There is controversy about whether this is really a “syndrome.” There is also some disagreement about how to define it, but the one I give here is from The National Cholesterol Education Program and is the most commonly used.

Regardless of whether this is really a syndrome, we know that the individual disorders have serious health consequences, so this study showing that loud, habitual snorers have nearly triple the risk of developing the metabolic syndrome is quite significant from a public health perspective.

Another interesting study, also published in SLEEP in 2008, showed that people who displayed loud snoring throughout the night during a sleep test were 10 times more likely to have carotid atherosclerosis, which means plague buildup in the carotid arteries of their neck. This is a major risk factor for stroke.

Studies such as these are changing how I advise patients who have sleep studies that are negative for sleep apnea. I now always discuss, in my report and with my patients, whether they had loud, steady snoring. If they did, I recommend treatment, usually with an oral appliance, sometimes with CPAP.

The take-home message? Snoring is not benign even in the absence of frank sleep apnea. All adults (and kids too) should be screened for snoring by their primary care doctors. Keep in mind that overindulging in egg nog and other alcoholic beverages increase the likelihood of snoring and sleep apnea. (Stay tuned for next week’s blog on how alcohol affects your sleep.) Most importantly, snoring should no longer be seen as a joking matter or as just an annoyance to the bed partner. If friends or family members snore, show you care and urge them to seek a medical evaluation. You’ll sleep better knowing that you helped improve the health of someone you love.

Lisa Shives, M.D., is the founder of Northshore Sleep Medicine in Evanston, Illinois. She’ll blog on Tuesdays on The Chart. Read more from her at Dr. Lisa Shives’ Sleep Better Blog.

The information contained on this page does not and is not intended to convey medical advice. CNN is not responsible for any actions or inaction on your part based on the information that is presented here. Please consult a physician or medical professional for personal medical advice or treatment.

Post by:
Filed under: Sleep

« Previous entry
  1. EIS

I was diagnosed with obstructive and central sleep apnea a year ago. It explained my weight issues and insomnia. However, the BiPAP that I was placed on was torture. To best describe it, place a toilet plunger on your face, blow cold air into your eyes, hold your breath and turn on a vacuum cleaner. I slept worse and was told that I should get used to it. There has to be a better solution as I cannot use it and it collects dust in the corner of the bedroom.

December 14, 2010 at 09:31 | Report abuse | Reply
    • RabiaDiluvio

Sounds like you need a better machine!
      THat or you need to understand that you can't just get used to something like that overnight. The secret is to wear it every night until you absolutely can't tolerate it. Eventually you do get to not only accept it but it becomes difficult to sleep without it! A better mask would get you a better seal so that you don't get cold air in the eyes.

December 14, 2010 at 10:53 | Report abuse |
    • Sara

Boy, you got that right. This thing keep me awake at night. I couldn't take it any longer, so I sent it all back. I found that a mouth guard works much better.

December 14, 2010 at 10:55 | Report abuse |
    • amused

I am certainly not amused by your apparently (by this article) serious condition. BUT thanks for the laugh, that was a funny picture you painted. Now I must explain to my coworkers why I broke out lauging at my PC monitor. Cheers!

December 14, 2010 at 10:58 | Report abuse |
    • JDT

@EIS... my CPAP is useful in blowing up my child's swimming pool in the summer.

December 14, 2010 at 11:00 | Report abuse |
    • ramrod

Snoring dries out the mouth and ruins your gums. I solved my snoring problem by simply taping my mouth shut for the night with general purpose masking tape. So far so good.

December 14, 2010 at 11:01 | Report abuse |
    • kaisersouse

Yeah...your sleep clinic person didn't do their job. I had the EXACT same issues until I _got a mask that fit_. Insist that your sleep clinic let you see ALL of their mask configurations, and let you try them on. At the very least, try going down a size from what you have now. I personally H A T E D my CPAP machine until I got the right mask (go full facial..the nose-only is for the birds) and forced myself to get used to it. Now I'm out like a light, sleep all night and have all kinds of energy the next day. I'm no longer FALLING ASLEEP behind the wheel when I drive home at night...because I have the proper amount of energy! PS...s e x gets way better once your body has adapted to getting good, regular sleep 😉

December 14, 2010 at 11:04 | Report abuse |
    • David

Talk to your doc about having surgery. I had surgery 2 years ago to have mt tonsils and adnoids removed, corrected a deviated septum in my nose and shrunk the turbins in my nose. I am no longer dead tired in the mid afternoon and I feel like I have my life back!

December 14, 2010 at 11:10 | Report abuse |
    • jeff

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea about 2 years ago.. I was not aware of it, but I was waking up literally hundreds of times per night, and never reached a deep restorative sleep... My Dr prescribed a CPAP machine.

The mask the Dr prescribed didn't work for me and it would have been easy to end my trial...
      But- I was committed to finding a way to make it work regardless of how uncomfortable it was (at first)
      I did alot of research and tried 4 others masks until I found one that was right for me...

If you are curious about your sleep... Record yourself sleeping. I did this with an iphone app and was astonished at what my sleep was really like (I had no idea). It was obvious I had a problem, I just never wanted to admit it....

If you have sleep apnea... please do realize what a toll it can take on your body... and you may want or need to put a real effort into finding a solution.

December 14, 2010 at 11:18 | Report abuse |
    • jonnyposter

There is a new drug out called Death. The most harmful side affect is said to be life. You might live. Most new drugs and treatments have such severe side effects, including having to live with chronic insufferable side effects, and or death, I think they have forgotten the purpose of medicine and therapy. There is an industry around selling us drugs and treatments that make us more miserable than when we started.

December 14, 2010 at 11:19 | Report abuse |
    • trumod

I did the CPAP. Apparently, my face didn't like it because I found I was breathing through my mouth (desert dry in the morning) and the padding on the thing caused boils across the bridge of my nose and my upper lip (slight scars remain). There is the "inject stiffeners into the soft palette" treatment and the "out with the uvula" treatment.I've tried the mouth guard and it just makes me gag (over the counter type) I will say that my father and grandfather were world-class snorers. Both dropped a lot of weight after heart surgery and the snoring went away with the extra pounds. Given the research I've read, it's a vicious cycle: If you gain weight, you snore and if you snore, you gain weight.

December 14, 2010 at 11:27 | Report abuse |
    • David B

Snoring CAUSES and/or puts people at risk for all these medical problems??? Really? Are you sure it's not the other way around? Maybe snoring is just a symptom of these other medical problems.

December 14, 2010 at 11:39 | Report abuse |
    • sure

The media has already told us several times if you snore you'll die from it. We got the message a long time ago.

December 14, 2010 at 11:50 | Report abuse |
    • Gave it a good try

From one sleep study with a couple hours of recording time, I was given a Bi-PAP, a $4000 machine with humidifier tank (produced by heating water).
      I gave it a good try...I even got two mask, one mouth and nose, one just nose. I thought if I got tired of breathing through my nose I could switch through my mouth...no way...dries your mouth out in just a few minutes.
      I switch back and forth...many night I would wake up finding that I had ripped that stupid thing off in the middle of the night!
      I found the cool air was refreshing at first, but then the warm moist air makes it where you feel it less. My problem was my nose kept closing at night like I had a cold....but I didn't....finally prescribed steriod nose spray and I thought I had a cure!
      Then it hit....a sinus infection like I have never had! Had to come off the machine so I could breath through my mouth.
      I decided that even though I was cleaning and drying out the humidifier tank each night...one thing had been over looked...that flexible hose with all it place to catch and allow stuff to grow was never cleaned and I'm sure didn't dry out from one night to the next.
      I decided to start losing weight and gave up on the machine....if I die I die, but living tortured is a living hell. Lost 18 lbs so far...go me!

December 14, 2010 at 12:05 | Report abuse |
    • garyinco

I too was diagnosed with apnea. The studies showed I had much less of a problem if I slept on my side. Problem is I naturally roll over onto my back. My insurance didn't want to pay much for the PAP machine and said I would have to re-do the sleep study every two years at significant cost to myself. The sleep center Doc suggested I get a fanny back and fill it with some tennis balls. Helps me stay on my side, and I don't have to deal with an invasive machine.

December 14, 2010 at 12:06 | Report abuse |
    • toxictown

I hear ya! Same thing here – the treatment was worse than the disease. The machine kept me AND my wife awake giving us both low sleep problems. We had to ditch it and of course insurance doesn't want to pay for anything else. I guess I get to have a stroke and die – thanks Blue Cross!

December 14, 2010 at 12:18 | Report abuse |
    • Bill

Try another mask. Don't give up on it! I tried three or four masks before I found one I could tolerate (I still don't like it but I can tolerate it.). I have been sleeping with my CPAP for two and a half years now. I was gaining weight and was always run down tired (falling asleep at my desk in the afternoon). CPAP solved all that and more. My brain operates at a higher level with the correct amount of sleep which has helped me at work and at home. The difference is ... well, night and day.

December 14, 2010 at 12:35 | Report abuse |
    • Vanilla Gorilla

Have similar issues with the Star Wars approach – I have found that using the mouthpiece is a much easier way to address and reduce the snoring. Many friends and associates agree that there needs to be an effective – but the costs of the "death mask" is outrageous. Seriously there is a large problem out there – but the medical community seems to look at this as a "payday". Simple is better

December 14, 2010 at 12:38 | Report abuse |
    • Tiff

@EIS.. I feel for you.. I am a Respiratory Therapist and a snorer.. The majority of the masks on the market that you get for the first trial are garbage! Ask for a fitting with a home care company. They should have several different models. If none work, try the mouth gaurd.

To those who are upset about healthcare and all the horrible side effects, I say you are right.. but in this case, its the best we have, non drug related.. it is something you have to ease into and get used to..

And BTW.. its not the snoring that cause the stroke and heart disease.. it is the added stress that a lack of sleep puts on your body that things just start falling apart.. simple as that.. no rest=bad health

December 14, 2010 at 12:49 | Report abuse |
    • mpouxesas

Although I have never used one (CPAP or BiPAP) those I know who use it currently, swear by it....Yes, it is obtrusive...but it has helped them so much that they cannot sleep without it!!

December 14, 2010 at 13:49 | Report abuse |
    • Micky

Same thing here. I always described it as trying to sleep with scuba gear attached to your face. You would think that in this day and age modern medicine would have a much better way to treat this if it is so dangerous. But, I guess It's all about maintenance and not a cure!

December 14, 2010 at 13:49 | Report abuse |
    • Matt

Please go see your nearest oral and maxillofacial surgeon. They can evaluate you for a procedure called maxillomandibular advancement. You can look up this type of treatment on the AAOMS (american association of oral and maxillofacial surgeons) website and the AASM (american association of sleep medicine) website.

December 14, 2010 at 13:49 | Report abuse |
    • JB

My husband and I found that a nasal pillow setup is much better, although we understand the simple but effective (and cheaper) "Adams Circuit" is being discontinued. We also found that the old straight pressure CPAPs we had are much better than the new systems. Never had the dry mouth on the old straight pressure CPAP. Try a different setup, maybe ask they change your settings. We found that no ramp is better than a ramp. Both of our lives changed with good sleep with CPAPs. My mom's side of the family have apnea – including Grandma who wasn't overweight. My husband had a nightmare experience in the hospital because they weren't up on CPAPs and sleep apnea. They wouldn't believe me when I told them to put his CPAP on instead of giving him a trach while he was on sedation. Ventilator dependant – no – CPAP dependant. Thanks to that ignorance, he was exposed to all the wonderful alphabet infections instead of going home quickly. The complications we have because of that ignorance we will have to pay for the rest of his and my life. Sleep apnea is life-threatening for him, and me. If you don't have it, count yourself as blessed. Aron – I pray that you have more compassionate care teams than you are when you need medical care than you expressed in your comment.

December 14, 2010 at 14:17 | Report abuse |
    • grod

You need to get an Auto Bipap with heated humidity. Auto Bipap senses your breathing pattern and will adjust to how you breath.

December 14, 2010 at 14:33 | Report abuse |
    • Jessica

As a Nurse that used to teach and fit CPAP patients machines/masks keep trying until you find the right mask, pressure setting and humidity. It should not be blowing into your eyes. Dry mouth? Up or use humidity. CPAP Supplier not getting you the right mask? Call your MD and have his office get on their case about it until you get a good fit. When fitted and used properly there will be a monumental change in your life and the way you feel.

December 14, 2010 at 14:52 | Report abuse |
    • Ann

My dad has been snoring LOUD his whole life and he is now 80 years old and still quite healthy.

December 14, 2010 at 15:02 | Report abuse |
    • Jerry

You are right on. My cousin had the same type of machine and he just couldn't take it anymore. He tried using it for weeks and it caused so much discomfort, he stopped using it.

December 14, 2010 at 15:23 | Report abuse |
    • Mike Benchoff

There is a better solution. Learn to play the didjeridoo (an Australian Aborigine instrument). Or more precisely, learn the circular breathing technique used by players of the didjeridoo and many other woodwind instruments. A 2005 study in the British Medical Journal found that "learning and practicing the didgeridoo helped reduce snoring and sleep apnea by strengthening muscles in the upper airway, thus reducing their tendency to collapse during sleep. This strengthening occurs after the player has mastered the circular breathing technique."

If the below link doesn't work, you can find your way to it by looking up the didjeridoo on Wikipedia and scrolling down to "Health Benefits" and the "References" sections.

December 14, 2010 at 15:28 | Report abuse |
    • Cara

I feel your pain! My CPAP sits collecting dust too. I put it on and then end up kicking it off my face about two hours in. Not helpful. There has to be another way. 🙁

December 14, 2010 at 15:39 | Report abuse |
    • NY-David

I might suggest your checking the fit. When I finally got the fit nailed down, I slept like a baby. Keep with it!!
      Also check out http://1800snoring.com/
      Sweet dreams!
      NY-David

December 14, 2010 at 15:46 | Report abuse |
    • casey

You probably just need a new mask. Probably 80% of CPAP/BIPAP intolerance issues are due to an improperly fitting mask, or maybe just an uncomfortable one. If it leaks in your eyes, I'm 100% certain your mask is not the right one for you. NONE of them should leak air in your eyes and if they do, look for a different one. There are dozens of different masks.
      Trust me, I know what I'm talking about. I am a supervisor at one of the nation's top three sleep disorders centers.

December 14, 2010 at 16:00 | Report abuse |
    • cassie

I really dont see how Snoring could effect your body in so many ways! Its so weird to think that Just by snoring when you go to bed you could get metabolic syndrome?? What the heck is that? I know I snore, Does that mean I have to go get a checkup to make sure That i dont die in my sleep?? :/

December 15, 2010 at 19:36 | Report abuse |
    • Dawn

i am having that problem too i have a cpap My doctor SCREAMS at me that i am going to die but i can't do it i have tried everything pills therapy breathing exercise. I am so miserable but i just can't do it

January 4, 2011 at 22:03 | Report abuse |
  2. Lannoinnes

I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea last December after a sleep study and used a CPAP device that 100% cured my snoring. Since then I went from obese to a normal bmi at an athletic 11% body fat. I no longer snore or need the CPAP device as a result.

December 14, 2010 at 09:50 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Gene

Based on the details of article, nature of the replies, this is yet another complication of the obseity epidemic in this country. Rather than struggle learning to sleep with contraptions like cpap, EAT LESS, STAY AWAY FROM FAST FOOD and JUNK FOOD, and EXERCISE – IT IS THAT SIMPLE. Start by walking around your neighborhood for 30 minutes in the morning, after dinner. Avoid elevators and take the stairs whenever possible – a GREAT aerobic exercise for sedentary people. The medical industry LOVES to find new "syndromes" and diseases to help them extract more money from our economy, rather than force poeple to deal with the root cause.

December 14, 2010 at 12:12 | Report abuse |
    • rbnlegend

@Gene: If you don't sleep, you don't lose weight, even if you do reduce your caloric intake. You need sleep to repair damage, properly process nutrients and so on. Lack of sleep leads to all manner of unusual metabolic activity, including weight gain. Snoring is a sign that your breathing is interrupted while you sleep, and your body reacts instantly to an interruption in breathing by waking up. Not all the way, not enough to remember, just enough that you never get good sleep.

I went on CPAP and lost about 10 pounds, with no modification in eating habits at all. The only change was that I spend more time in bed because I can actually get productive sleep.

December 14, 2010 at 13:37 | Report abuse |
    • Lannoinnes

Just a note that I didn't completely come off the CPAP until I was about 85 pounds lighter. Now I never snore according to my girlfriend without the machine (100 pounds lighter at 175lbs at 6'1"). I also don't get up in the middle of the night like I used either. For me, weight loss removed the "severe sleep apnea". For others it might not though.... I don't think that I could have had the energy level for the extreme amount of exercise and motivation to keep eating proper nutrition without the assistance of that CPAP device providing sleep like the dead. It most definitely helped prolong my life.

December 14, 2010 at 14:06 | Report abuse |
    • Matt Wilson

Sounds like sage advice. Now show us your thesis explaining the evidence for such claims.

It's easy to say the medical community is biased towards a profit (it is) and use that to rationalize discounting everything they say. The problem is, they often actually have research, case studies and the like to back up the claims they make, unlike the unqualified internet commentators who like to spout "common sense" approaches.

You know, I hear the way to not get cancer is to drink a quart of whiskey every day. My grandfather did it, and he never got cancer.

December 14, 2010 at 14:12 | Report abuse |
    • Lannoinnes

@rbnlegend – you can still lose weight without a CPAP machine. I did until I got properly diagnosed and got one. Something to the order of about 25 pounds. That was when I first started losing though so the calorie intake was extremely restrictive and of course plenty of exercise was and still is my lifestyle.

December 14, 2010 at 14:44 | Report abuse |
    • Thomas

Me too. I lost 30 lbs and put the machine away. Eat your veggies, peeps!

December 14, 2010 at 15:03 | Report abuse |
  3. Craig

These devices to assist us with sleep kept me awake and made going to sleep harder. I participated in a sleep study due to sleep apnea and left after lying in the bed for 3 hours trying to go to sleep. I wasted $1800 after insurance for a device that keeps my lower jaw inplace to prevent snoring, I wore the jaw device for five nights and on the sixth night when I put it back in the case I finally got a good night's rest. What made me angry was I saw the same device advertised on tv for $60 dollars! For me the sleep devices are a hinderance, even with sleep apnea I sleep better than using these devices.

December 14, 2010 at 10:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. harry from VT

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz nigh talll zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

December 14, 2010 at 10:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Matthew

I fail to understand how sleep apnea and/or snoring can make a person obese.
    My understanding is that burning more calories than you take in will result in weight loss; burning fewer calories than you take in will result in weight gain. What am I missing?

December 14, 2010 at 10:41 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Good Night!

It's about the quality of sleep affecting your energy level the next day. That also effects your eating since you are more likely to eat carbs and sugar when you are tired to get the burst of energy. That results in a quick high, but then is usually followed by a crash and the cycle continues.

December 14, 2010 at 10:50 | Report abuse |
    • AP No More

Apnea interrupts your sleep. You may be asleep, but the snoring and apnea prevent you from entering your deepest sleep. As a result, you are not as well-rested, so you have less energy. You can become less active from this over time (being tired all the time), which I believe can lead to a slower metabolism and weight gain. The weight gain then further complicates the problem.

December 14, 2010 at 10:57 | Report abuse |
    • RabiaDiluvio

It is not just about eating–it also has a great deal to do with hormones like cortisol (sometimes called the "stress hormone") that will help your body store energy as fat preferentially. Remember–it is never merely a matter of calories in vs calories out. The process by which energy is stored as fat in the body is a much more complex biochemical process and it can be influenced by a number of body systems.

December 14, 2010 at 10:58 | Report abuse |
    • Steve

Sleep apnea also seriously reduces your metabolism. I lost 40 pounds in the first three months I had my CPAP machine just by using it. Since I was finally getting restful sleep I was able to engage in regular physical exercise, something that is nearly impossible when you are dog-tired all of the time. I've had my CPAP fpr over 10 years and it literally saved my life.

December 14, 2010 at 11:17 | Report abuse |
    • rbnlegend

What are you missing? Everything beyond the very simplest part of the picture. Your weight is affected by a great many things, not just the simple calories in, exercise out equation. Sleep apnea is a factor, because your body needs deep effective sleep in order to regulate various hormone levels, repair damaged tissue, and many other functions. These all relate to metabolic rates, energy levels, and how the body process nutrients. If you have two people, eating the same foods, and doing the same level of activity, with one of them getting 8 hours of good sleep, and the other only getting 4 hours of sleep, over time, the one who gets the 4 hours of sleep will be heavier with more health problems, even though they eat the same food and perform the same activities.

The human body is not a simple machine that follows simple rules. Most people tend to stay at the same weight for long periods of time. They don't manage to eat exactly the right amount of calories to balance their activity. Their body adjusts to use the food they consume to provide needed energy, and disposes of what is not needed, to maintain that size. There is a reason that the diet industry is so large. If it was as simple as you say, we wouldn't have so many books, videos, web sites, medical specialties, television shows and so on and so on.

December 14, 2010 at 13:46 | Report abuse |
    • mpouxesas

Hey Matthew, it is the other way around...obesity can be correlated to sleep apnea, etc. So, if you are fat, chances are you will have hard time breathing during sleep...

December 14, 2010 at 13:52 | Report abuse |
  6. Anne

I have been using a CPap for over 5 years. I laughing-ly tell my Doctor; I could be a 'poster child" for the machine. I am 73 years old and cannot imagine doing without it. Was a heavy snorer for many years. I had one of those little gadgets, I think they called it a 'clapper: – could turn your television on and off by clapping your hands.....I used to snore so bad – it turned on the television in the middle of the night. Not funny.

December 14, 2010 at 10:43 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Sara

that is very funny. Don't mean to laugh, but it tickled me. thanks.

December 14, 2010 at 10:58 | Report abuse |
    • Dave54

Sorry, Anne, but that was funny.

December 14, 2010 at 11:50 | Report abuse |
    • Islander

Oh, I'm sorry for your distress – but that was so funny – I've been laughing out loud. Thanks I needed that!

December 14, 2010 at 12:15 | Report abuse |
    • GrammarGnatsie

I'm wondering if "poltergeist" ever crossed your mind.

December 14, 2010 at 13:44 | Report abuse |
    • Mick

Me too, Anne – couldn't live without it. I've been using it for a couple of years now and I am sold on it. It took a few nights to adjust to it and learn to sleep on my back (I used to come close to choking to death if I fell asleep on my back at all!). Now I can sleep on my back or stomach and wake up refreshed and don't end up nearly slumped over my computer at 2:00 in the afternoon! Blessed relief!!
      Cheers!

December 14, 2010 at 14:16 | Report abuse |
  7. Brian

Same here. I participated in a sleep study to help my snoring and was issued a BiPAP and a full lower face mask. I don't like sleeping on my back, but that's the only real possible position with that equipment. I tried using it for a few nights, then ended up putting it back in the case. I returned the whole deal to the doctor's office since it was being counted as a rental.

December 14, 2010 at 10:43 | Report abuse | Reply
    • RabiaDiluvio

You need to give it more than one night. You wear it every night for as long as you can tolerate it. Eventually you will not know what to do without it.
      It is very possible to sleep on your side with a face mask–I do it every night all night long.

December 14, 2010 at 11:00 | Report abuse |
    • rbnlegend

I sleep on my side with mine as well. It takes getting used to, but being able to breathe, and sleep is so much better than the alternative that I can't imagine doing without.

December 14, 2010 at 13:49 | Report abuse |
  8. Diane Rowe

Have the cpap devices improved within the past 5 years? My husband had one, he is a very loud and heavy snorer, but the machine drove him crazy. I left the bedroom, as I could not stand the sound of it – although we both know it is good for him, he got very little sleep with it, tried for weeks at a time and just put the thing away. Not only that, but the contraption over his face and around his head made him look like a Martian. No one talks about that aspect, it seems so shallow as health is more important. But is part of the whole thing! There has to be a better solution. I liked the description above about the plunger and the vacuum cleaner on your face all night – right on.

December 14, 2010 at 10:47 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Steve

My CPAP machine produces 'white noise', which cancels out other noises from the outside world. My wife often turns it on even when I'm not in bed just to block out other unwanted noises.

December 14, 2010 at 11:20 | Report abuse |
    • Bill

CPAP machines have improved in the past few years. My MIL has the latest and greatest CPAP machine and you can't hear it at all. Whisper quiet. Finding the right mask is key. Check cpap (dot) com to see a good selection of masks and machines. I do not work for this company but I am a past customer. They were easy to work with and have a much better selection of masks than you will find at your medical professional office.

December 14, 2010 at 12:59 | Report abuse |
    • Julia

Diane Rowe, I am SOOO glad you brought that up: The wife's (bed partner's) perspective!! It really does interfere with the other person's sleep and that mask, though useful, certainly cramps your style. It's difficult to kiss and hug at night with that contraption on, and then that mask alienates you from him because he doesn't seem like himself..... You feel like you're in a hospital ... for crying out loud!!!!
      I agree with some others who said JUST LOSE THE WEIGHT!!! We didn't have all these problems when he weighed 70 pounds less!!!

December 14, 2010 at 13:38 | Report abuse |
    • JackBeHumble

I also use cpap dot com, and liked their service. You have to FAX or upload your prescription to them which is a minor hassle. Be sure to talk to them via online chat to see what deals they will offer. I use a velcro/elastic chin strap to keep my mouth closed. Since starting on the cpap, I get more rest on less sleep.

December 14, 2010 at 14:13 | Report abuse |
  9. Dr Joe

EIS – 40% of people prescribed a CPAP or BiPAP device end up tossing it in a corner. This is dangerous to your health and your quality of life suffers. I have made hundreds of oral appliances for my patients. It takes a week or 2 to get used to them, but they sleep much better with it. It's more portable too!
    The CPAP is the gold standard. Many of my patients who successfully wear CPAP get an oral appliance for when they travel.
    Ask your dentist for an oral appliance. If you have had a sleep study and a diagnosis, most health insurances will cover it.

December 14, 2010 at 10:49 | Report abuse | Reply
    • toxictown

Yeah well, for us poor people w/poor insurance they will cover the bare minimum – if it doesn't work for you (as it didn't for me) it's tough luck. We get to have strokes and die – thanks Blue Cross!

December 14, 2010 at 12:21 | Report abuse |
  10. Bill

I guess I should do something to make my very healthy 85 year old dad stop snoring. And his brother, all the men in the family on BOTH paternal and maternal sides. You know those who lived into their late 80s and 90s. Sorry but this (c)rap about snoring is just that- crap. There may be OTHER issues in play such as partially collapsing musculature BUT snoring in and of itself is harmless.

December 14, 2010 at 10:49 | Report abuse | Reply
    • JD

Well snoring causes a sore/extremly dry throat/mout in the morning. Due to my lack of health insurance I cannot go for a test and I know I have sleep apnea. I wake up several times at night. If I could get an excellent nights rest I know that I would wake up a new person.

December 14, 2010 at 10:59 | Report abuse |
  11. Zach

Correlation is not causation . . . in fact, I'd assert that nearly all of the causal relationships noted by the good doctor are likely 100% reversed. Snoring causes obesity? Scoff!

If I take the reverse of pretty much every statement in this article the conclusion is much more plausible: is it any surprise that generally unhealthy people are more apt to snore? And if my background in accounting serves me right, aren't fat people/smokers several times more likely to suffer high blood pressure, stroke, diabetes, etc.?

If I'd known it was so easy to get published on CNN I'd have written an article called "DANGER: computer viruses cause computers!" long ago.

December 14, 2010 at 10:50 | Report abuse | Reply
    • RabiaDiluvio

Sleep apnea increases inflammation in the body and also cortisol levels. Cortisol helps the body store energy as fat preferentially.

December 14, 2010 at 11:01 | Report abuse |
    • Nicole

Not all fat people are smokers. Not all fat people snore as well. In fact my dad and boyfriend are extremely skinny and they both snore like bears. Working for a sleep specialist you learn a lot about sleep apnea and the things that causes it. You would be surprised how many thing people walk through here that have sleep apnea. Probably just as many fat people if not more. So before you become so "analytical" about the situation I would do my research first. Furthermore, there is also a term called central apnea where the lungs basically collapse and people need assistance breathing during the night while they are sleeping and that has nothing to do with being fat. Again clearly you know nothing about the health field considering it isn't all fat people who have high blood pressure and high cholesterol. Yes they are more likely to be a candidate for it but skinny people are just as likely to have high blood pressure and high cholesterol. Nice try there Mr. Accountant! I see your MD in accounting has gotten you real far in life!

December 14, 2010 at 11:32 | Report abuse |
    • Nicole

I meant to say just as many skinny people if not more... not just as many fat people...

December 14, 2010 at 11:36 | Report abuse |
    • Lee

Thanks for the sound points and clear writing, Zach.

December 14, 2010 at 11:56 | Report abuse |
    • JIM

A voice of reason. That kind of clear thinking needs to be taught in our schools. Too many people are willing to accept any garbage they see in print. Thanks Zak

December 14, 2010 at 13:46 | Report abuse |
    • rbnlegend

If your background in accounting were relevant, we would go to an accountant when we got sick. Common sense is great, but it's also often wrong.

Common sense says you put water on a fire. Common sense will burn down your house if you have a grease fire or an electrical fire.

December 14, 2010 at 13:54 | Report abuse |
  12. Nathaniel

The take away message? Doctors want everyone to think they have a medical condition that requires money flowing into their pockets and the pockets of the drug companies that they are in bed with.

Eat well, get regular exercise, have a glass of wine and stop popping so many pills.

December 14, 2010 at 10:51 | Report abuse | Reply
    • bj

AMEN! A little common sense does wonders for one's health!

December 14, 2010 at 10:53 | Report abuse |
    • Casey

This is an industry designed to make a profit. Before I had a gastric bypass, I had to have a sleep study. No problem. However, the results of the first study were inconclusive. Rather than letting it go, I had to do a follow-up study. And guess what? I magically had sleep apnea. I used the $2500 machine for 8 days. During that time, I developed severe headaches, laryngitis, daytime sleepiness, and mild depression. I NEVER had any of these problems before the machine. My primary told me to stop using the machine. Voila: the symptoms went away immediately. During my surgery and in the recovery room, I showed NO signs of apnea. If I had, they would have put the mask on me IMMEDIATELY. Bring the CPAP to the surgery was a requirement if you had a diagnosis of obstructive sleep apnea. If I can spend 4 hours on my back in an OR without apneas, I don't have sleep apnea.

When the Sleep HealthCenter called to schedule a follow-up appointment 6 months later (I'd lost 100 lbs by then), I declined. When I told the respiratory therapist that I lost the weight, she said, and I quote, "You don't need the machine. Your setting was the lowest possible, so you should stop using it."

My insurance company spent in excess of $5000 testing and treating something I never had. There's your increasing health insurance premiums right there.

December 14, 2010 at 12:29 | Report abuse |
  13. bj

Slow news day, huh?

December 14, 2010 at 10:52 | Report abuse | Reply
    • GrammarGnatsie

Daily quota for CNN: 4 WikiLeaks/Assange articles, all the injuries, deaths, and crimes you can scrounge up, and the rest is BS, drivel, and all manners of fodder.

December 14, 2010 at 13:53 | Report abuse |
  14. Carol Ann

My father is almost 85 years old and has snored all of his life (as long as I have known him). It's not sleep apnea, it's just light to moderate snoring you hear when people are asleep. He is perfectly healthy and going strong, with no high blood pressure, diabetes, or any other problem including his weight. So I don't necessarily believe that snoring is as big a deal as they are making it out to be.

December 14, 2010 at 10:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Liz

Just because snoring has been found to be associated with metabolic syndrome and stroke doesn't make it a causal association. Some underlying biologic factors may be causing both conditions, in which case treating snoring will not necessarily "improve your health". This doctor should probably take a class in epidemiology before being so eager to overstate the evidence (and potentially misinforming the public).

December 14, 2010 at 10:58 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Lee

Excellent points. Glad to see some sound thinking and writing around here.

December 14, 2010 at 11:55 | Report abuse |
  16. crabman

WHAT IS GOOD FOR YOU ???? CAN'T SNORE BREATH EAT DRINK WATER COME ON SO WHAT CAN WE DO MY PLASTIC BUBBLE IS STARTING TO WEAR OUT

December 14, 2010 at 10:58 | Report abuse | Reply
    • GrammarGnatsie

Commas aren't that painful.

December 14, 2010 at 13:54 | Report abuse |
  17. Alex

It is irresponsible for both CNN and this physician to purport to offer "the" "take-home message" about snoring and sleep apnea without noting the obvious open question about the actual causal relationships among the phenomena examined in this study. In other words, it's unclear whether snoring correlates with the so-called symptoms of "metabolic syndrome" because both snoring and the "symptoms" correlate separately with obesity. In other words, if a snorer does not have any of the factors listed as attendant on "metabolic syndrome," there is no reason to expect any of the noted dangerous health conditions to be present. It is extremely irresponsible to publish an article like this without making that clear. Shame on both parties.

December 14, 2010 at 11:01 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Tonus

Get real–it is much more likely that obesity causes sleep apnea than vice versa. Losing weight is also a great way to treat sleep apnea.

December 14, 2010 at 11:02 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. chris

Metabolic Syndrome, you say, heh? How uniquely "American."

December 14, 2010 at 11:02 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Jeff

I received my CPAP two years ago and it changed my life. I lost 20 pounds (and have kept it off) without doing anything special. I also have trouble with the mask and have to sleep with earplugs, but I get enough sleep anyway and am wide awake all day. I plan to live a lot longer than my dad did, who was a prolific snorer and who died at 69.

December 14, 2010 at 11:04 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Nathaniel

I had a neighbor who died when she was five and she didn't snore at all.

December 14, 2010 at 11:09 | Report abuse |
  21. Alex

Also, it's disgusting how commercials for "cpap" devices have suddenly skyrocketed AND at the same time we're suddenly being bombarded by articles like this, some of which appear to be written by physicians who are in the pocket of the druggo-industrial block. Triple and quadruple shame on all parties involved in this!

December 14, 2010 at 11:05 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Alex

kaisersouse: I have been a practicing psychiatrist for 25 years. Sadly, your post reveals a great deal about your own state of mind and thus obviates any substantial response from me–except to say, please get help!

December 14, 2010 at 11:38 | Report abuse |
    • Lee

Great points in both posts, Alex. What's with the trolls around here? "Kaisersouse," maybe after you get your diagnosis you'll learn to spell it. It's "schizophrenia." Your education dollars at work, folks...

December 14, 2010 at 11:49 | Report abuse |
  22. What about

Yawn.......Is yawning deadly too.........Yawn

December 14, 2010 at 11:12 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Michelle

My dog snores. Clearly, I need to talk to my vet about putting the pooch on a treatment program, right?

Come on, people. Snoring, without sleep apnea, is just annoying. It's not a "medical condition." If you're morbidly obese and you snore, try losing some weight, and stop making excuses for yourself. If you snore because of allergies... I'm sorry, that's no fun, but try a benadryl before bed. If you snore when you get sick... congratulations, you're human.

December 14, 2010 at 11:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. David

I also know people that died of an enlarged heart as a result of sleep apnea, this is not something to mess around with.

People mentioned devices to keep the mouth shut to stop the snoring. That is all well and good. But apnea is from a closure of the airway most likely from position of the head/neck when sleeping, and 99% of the time it is not from the mouth.

December 14, 2010 at 11:15 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. Renee

My Grandfather snored like a freight train his whole life, and lived to the ripe old age of 88. Don't believe every study you see.

December 14, 2010 at 11:17 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Cricket

I'm surprised grandmother didn't choke him to death!

December 14, 2010 at 11:50 | Report abuse |
    • Glenn

Exceptions don't disprove the rule. There are also smokers who live to 100. So what?

December 14, 2010 at 13:39 | Report abuse |
  26. really?

Keep in mind that this article is written by someone who's clinic makes money only by convincing people they need treatment for snoring. The statistic that 45% of men snore regularly, and a much higher percentage occassionally, tells me that this is a very regular phenomenon. People have been snoring for thousands of years and most all of them did not die from it. Are there people with legetimate sleep disorders? Sure, but citing questionable 'syndromes' and scaring people into thinking they need expensive medical treatment just because they may snore and have no other symptoms is questionable medicine at best.

December 14, 2010 at 11:18 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. Susan

This is a strange article. Is it that snoring CAUSES meetabolic syndrome or metabolic syndrome causes snoring and other medical issues. My 3 year old grand daughter snores. I thought it was because she was congested. Is this study to be taken seriously or is this just another piece of a study which someone is presenting as medical fact?

December 14, 2010 at 11:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. Handy Info

I am starting to think that like anything this is a emerging medical field which is overprescribing based on certain indicators or ranges that they have determined to be unsafe. However where is the study that shows what a normal human should have for sleep? , oxygen rates etc. ? While yes I believe their are sleep apnea issues that need medical treatment I believe this is the same as the over prescription of ADHD and BiPolar meds to every person that fit the slightest symptoms.

If your overweight your going to have sleep apnea, if your neck looks like a pack of hot dogs of course gravity is going to cause all of fat to rest into your throat as you lie in bed. Lose weight and you'll start feeling better and your sleep apena will disappear.

I think some of this "data" about heart disease and everything is based off of people that are already predisposed to these health risks. I.E. they have studied more people that are overweight since they almost always have sleep apnea vs. using a bunch of people with a 7 to 12% bodyfat who would rarely have it.

As far as sleep and weight there are numerous tried and true findings that support that 8 hours of good sleep will help you lose more weight versus only sleeping for 6 hours. The longer the sleep the more your metabolism works.

December 14, 2010 at 11:30 | Report abuse | Reply
    • rbnlegend

Where is the study? Google it. If you can't be bothered to do the simplest of research, sitting in front of the greatest reseach system in the history of mankind, why would you bother to write a comment on the article?

Yes, 8 hours of sleep will result in better health than 6. However, if you have apnea, you won't get beyond stage 1 sleep, and it won't matter how long you spend half asleep. In the morning you will wake up fatigued.

December 14, 2010 at 14:01 | Report abuse |
  29. trumod

I read somewhere that Brooke Shields snores (her husband's statement). I don't believe she's either obese or suffering from metabolic syndrome.

December 14, 2010 at 11:36 | Report abuse | Reply
  30. steeve-o

I have recently been suffering from what I think is sleep apnea. I am not obese by any means (33yrs old, 150lb), but have noticed a slow in my metabolism (aka beer gut). I suffer from occasional chest pain during the day, which I've been taking 81mg aspirin and it seems to help. I awaken at night, either from a snore or just from a feeling of being jolted awake. I feel like I'm not taking full breaths when I'm relaxed at night. Head is elevated, yet I still snore. Never snored before in my life. Used to drink alcohol late at night before bed; have stopped and this seemed to help. Sound like it? My Dr. didn't think so, EKG/blood pressure is normal.

December 14, 2010 at 11:38 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Dave54

I don't think an EKG/blood pressure test will show you have sleep apnea. You need to have a sleep study performed to determine that.

December 14, 2010 at 12:07 | Report abuse |
    • Randy M

Dude, you need a complete checkup. You have entered middle age and your body does not act the same as when you were younger. Have a complete physical, blood lipids, blood sugar, sleep test etc. You sound to me like you are stressed. But people do have heart attacks in their 30's. Get on top of it so you can address your health issues and have peace of mind. Knowing is much better than fear of the unknown. Been there and a good Doctor can make a world of difference. I'm now 50 but I started noticing changes like you mentioned in my late 30's. I now take a statin, fish oil, red wine in small doses and feel much better. Also, moderate excercise helps a lot especially once you hit 40.

December 14, 2010 at 14:07 | Report abuse |
    • steeve-o

Thanks Randy, good advice. I am stressed... baby on the way in the spring, getting health ins. in January and plan to do just that. Thanks again!

December 14, 2010 at 15:07 | Report abuse |
  31. sleepmd

In my area, medical insurance will usually not cover cost of an oral appliance or CPAP for snoring in the absence of obstructive sleep apnea.

December 14, 2010 at 11:38 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Dianne

I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea a few months ago. I did not want to try the Cpap so I did some investigation and looked into the TAP mouth guard. They even have an insurance paper for you to submit to your insurance co. Both my Sleep doctor and my Dentist filled it out along with the diagnosis. My dental insurance approved the mouth piece costing me a mere $130 out of my pocket. And I think it is working!

December 14, 2010 at 12:41 | Report abuse |
  32. KingSilverBack

Ok...let me get this straight...You mean to tell me that the reason I'm fat as a cow is because I snore at night, and not because I eat everything in sight? There must be a class that physicians take called "Make people believe they're idiots 101".

December 14, 2010 at 11:43 | Report abuse | Reply
    • GrammarGnatsie

Well... Do you, or do you not, have hooves?

December 14, 2010 at 14:08 | Report abuse |
  33. Big Red

I was diagnosed with Severe Sleep Apnea. My sleep study showed that I stopped breathing 186 times in 6 hours. Both the technician and my doctor said they had never seen anyone with that many incidents. Now I've used a CPAP for 5 years and it's the best thing going. I sleep soundly through the entire night where before I would wake up many times. Also cured my snoring which makes my wife very happy. As for the mask, I suggest NOT using a mask. I took one look at those and said no way, what else do you have. I'm using a simple tube that runs under my nose and has two 'pillows' that press up into my nostrils. It's fantastic. I can't even see the device. I'll put in on and watch TV for a hour or two and I don't even realize it's there.

December 14, 2010 at 11:45 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Julia

What is that "tube" thing called? Where would we get it? Thanks for anyone who knows.

December 14, 2010 at 13:49 | Report abuse |
  34. Lee

I reported kaisersouse's obviously abusive post as abusive some time ago, yet CNN still displays it. Selective censorship anyone?

December 14, 2010 at 12:00 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. Dave

I hate it when I get plague build up in my arteries.

December 14, 2010 at 12:02 | Report abuse | Reply
    • GrammarGnatsie

A sighing relief of sanity drenches me, knowing I am not the only one who noticed that.

December 14, 2010 at 14:11 | Report abuse |
    • Brad

You are not alone. I got a chuckle out of that one too.

December 20, 2010 at 12:05 | Report abuse |
  36. Annoyed

Some of you are reading too much into this, and it's getting a little sad. It's not saying that ALL snoring is bad. Snoring (particularly loud snoring) is an indicator to sleep apnea.

Your dad's brother's second cousin's snores and is still healthy? Nice story, then this information doesn't really apply to you, continue reading somewhere else.

For people that do suffer from sleep apnea, it's really no joke. Not getting enough (uninterrupted) sleep each night, for an X number of years will have a major effect on your health. This article is meant to education people on sleep apnea, and causes of it, including possible resolutions. Chill out. Knowledge is good.

This does not mean you need to go out right now and buy a CPAP machine, and some unknown force is tricking you into needing to buy it.

December 14, 2010 at 12:02 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Meghan

@Annoyed: I completely understand that sleep apnea is a serious problem and needs to be treated as soon as possible; however, this article clearly does state that any regular snoring, even with the absence of a sleep apnea diagnosis, is a sign of a serious problem (not necessarily sleep apnea).

"The take-home message? Snoring is not benign even in the absence of frank sleep apnea."

The reasoning behind what you consider to be silly stories is because this article does not make sense to many logical thinkers, including myself. Yes, knowledge is good, but this article is missing much of that so called knowledge. Many conclusions and assumptions were made without facts or even experience backing it up.

December 14, 2010 at 13:01 | Report abuse |
  37. Dave54

I can't say what the article's intentions were in writing this article or what the accuracies of the studies cited are, but I can say that my CPAP has done wonders for me. I have been using one for almost four years and will not sleep without it. I even have a battery backup system to use to power my CPAP for those rare power outages. If I don't use the CPAP, after a few days I am absolutely useless. The CPAP allows me to stay awake during the day.

December 14, 2010 at 12:02 | Report abuse | Reply
  38. D

I am not over weight. For most of my life I have been a heavy snorer. I began choosing sleep over most activies because I was tired all the time. All I could do was work , sleep, sometimes eat. Frequently I would wake up choking in the middle of the night. My quality of life suffered: finally my family convinced me that something was wrong. I always viewed my snoring as a joke, because I was told how loud it was. I was not ready for the sleep study until my family told me I seemed to fight during sleep, make noise, just move constantly. Long story short, I did the sleep study, I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea, the doctor prescribed the cpap, and it works for me. However, I do not use it like I should, and when I don't use it, I feel the difference. When I travel, I take the machine with me, and many times the TSA agent will remark to me that I don't look like I should have a cpap....because I am not overweight, and because I am a woman. I explain to them that even children suffer from apnea. I don't like the machine, I don't always use it, but it makes a difference in my life. I feel rested and refreshed when I use it. I wish I didn't need it.

December 14, 2010 at 12:03 | Report abuse | Reply
  39. bisnono

My husband has snored like a freight train for our entire marriage, regardless of his weight which has fluctuated over the years. I suffered through it for 13 years, then he got a CPAP after having a sleep study that showed he was waking up about 30 TIMES AN HOUR – that's every 2 minutes – because of severe obstructive sleep apnea. You nay-sayers should just try going for years without any restorative sleep and see how well YOU (or your spouse) can function. His machine is a lifesaver, literally and figuratively, was worth every penny, and has been transforming for us!

December 14, 2010 at 12:05 | Report abuse | Reply
  40. Dave

What a load of cr*p...yet ANOTHER "study" hysterically announcing to the paranoid masses that something is bad, even deadly, for you. Meanwhile, I'm stuck in the grocery line behind some oversized mama who can barely squeeze her fat butt through the turnstile.

Mygawd, it's a miracle the human race has survived red meat, no seat belts, alcohol and inflight peanuts.

December 14, 2010 at 12:09 | Report abuse | Reply
    • GrammarGnatsie

We kicked Germany's a$$. *shrug*

December 14, 2010 at 14:14 | Report abuse |
  41. Robert

I had a three-night at home sleep study done for free through the VA. I'm an extremely light sleeper and could not sleep at all the first night because of the gadget they had taped to my face. Now that I've been diagnosed with Sleep Apnea, I go to the VA hospital overnight tonight to be fitted for my first CPAP. I'm dreading having this ball and chain for the rest of my life.

December 14, 2010 at 12:10 | Report abuse | Reply
    • rbnlegend

If you get a good mask, three months from now you won't know how you lived without it. No one looks forward to getting the machine, and very few people accomodate to it quickly and easily. But, once you do get it, and get used to it, you will love it. If you are married, your spouse will love it too. It's much easier to sleep with a cpap machine running than with a person snoring.

When my wife gets a cold, her snoring wakes me up, over the sound of my cpap.

December 14, 2010 at 14:07 | Report abuse |
  42. Shaah

I have always snored extremely loud as a child. Dr's told my mother i just needed to have my tonsils removed, but it was way more serious. I was diagnoised with sleep apnea and have been on a CPAP machine for 6 yrs. It does stop the snoring but it can be a challange. The face mask leaves lines on your face, and it is NOT attractive at all. If you are not already in a relationship, it can be a point of embarassment for someone new. However if they get a taste of you snoring without it, they will worhship the "darth vadar mask" the newer machines are much more quiet and compact. Always having distilled water may be a pain.The newer mask dont seem to work as well for me because i still snore, just lighter. i still have insomnia and i still feel very tired in the morning. When i first got the mask it cured all of this although i used a sleeping pill to help me sleep at a decent hr. Hopefully science will come up with a more "attractive" looking device in the future.

December 14, 2010 at 12:12 | Report abuse | Reply
  43. andres

Yet another physician with a 'cause' ('cause I wanna make more money) is trying to scare the public. Listen if snoring was so bad, don't you think that the human race would have snored itself to extinction by now? Yes I understand that some folks have real problems, but to state that ANY SNORING is harmful is just plain ignorant and careless. Folks, get a grip on your life. Live life to the fullest, because you don't know when it is going to end.

December 14, 2010 at 12:14 | Report abuse | Reply
  44. OH NOES

Guess what....Being born is fatal.

December 14, 2010 at 12:21 | Report abuse | Reply
    • GrammarGnatsie

Technically, no. Being born does not cause death. Though giving birth can exhaust the mother to the point of death.

Metal isn't fatal, but a knife in the heart can be. (I'm making a point, I'm well aware of hemochromotosis.)

December 14, 2010 at 14:20 | Report abuse |
  45. Tim

Sounds like another 'researcher' needs some more grant money.

December 14, 2010 at 12:21 | Report abuse | Reply
  46. Jim X

It's all about parting people with more money folks. The medical industry is awesome at finding (AKA inventing) new diseases, conditions and syndromes, then exaggerating them to scare people so that they sell their wares. They find treatments and pills but virtually no total cures. I've lost faith in them years ago.

December 14, 2010 at 12:22 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Sybs

actually this could be one of those cures you seek rather than the pills that will destroy your organs.

December 14, 2010 at 12:45 | Report abuse |
  47. WayneMac

I have been using a CPAP since June of this year. My Apnea was diagnosed as mild ,7 events/hr. It took me 2 months to get used to wearing it and at first I hated it. It pretty much requires you to sleep on your back and I missed holding my wife during the night. Now I have trouble sleeping if I do not use it. I can attest that since using the CPAP, I am less tired during the day, find it easier to concentrate on my work, do not get as drowsy while driving, and my wife sleeps better.

December 14, 2010 at 12:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  48. Adam

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea but my doctor was so frustrating to deal with I stop seeing her and I haven't been to a doctor since. I'm not totally sold on the CPAP because many people I know who use it say it doesn't work or they'll often wake up and the mask is on the floor. It just seems to be like it's putting a bandaid over a more serious problem. I'm 5'10" and weigh 175...not sure what else I can do really...but I'd to get some good sleep...been going on for 15 years ago.

December 14, 2010 at 12:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  49. belch, burp & Fart, No Snore

Ya...well snoring ain't shytt. Caused by too much drinking of da booze and a lot of smoking enhances smoking too. Anyway I get off by farting loudly then fanning the covers toward whoever is in bed with me.

December 14, 2010 at 12:29 | Report abuse | Reply
    • GrammarGnatsie

I bet he hates that.

(Heheh. I jest.)

December 14, 2010 at 14:23 | Report abuse |
  50. people are dumb

To anyone that makes a negative comment on here that doesnt have apnea you should all shut your hole. I have it bad and was to the point of giving up on life from being tired ALL THE TIME.
    This article was saying that bad things can and do come from snoring with or without apnea. When you DO have apnea it causes your blood to be thicker and your blood pressure to skyrocket which is dangerous. My blood pressure went from 180/120 down to 125/95 just from using the machine and no other changes in life.
    Does snoring mean you are going to die tomorrow no and thats not what the article says if any of you can comprehend what you read then that should be obvious. BUT snoring in itself means you are not breathing correctly.
    Try holding your breath for 15 seconds once a minute and see if you dont start to feel bad after 5 hours of doing this.

December 14, 2010 at 12:30 | Report abuse | Reply
    • KL

Dear "people are dumb":

To Do:

1. Learn to read.
      2. Learn to write.
      Only then will you cease to be an aptly named, self-fulfilling prophecy!

December 14, 2010 at 12:44 | Report abuse |
    • VinceRN

The fact that you "have it bad" is irrelevant to the argument here. Yes, some people have severe sleep apnea and a machine can save there lives. However, this doctor's thesis is that everyone that snore, even just occasionally snores a little, should buy a machine that he profits from. Since everyone snores occasionally he is stating the everyone in the world should buy these machines and be dependent on them for sleep. No one should ever be allowed to sleep without electricity again. Even if you do need the machine, even if it saved your life, this doctors assertions are dead wrong.

December 14, 2010 at 13:20 | Report abuse |