home
RSS
A tiny life lost to whooping cough
October 22nd, 2010

A tiny life lost to whooping cough

Whooping cough is a rather mild-sounding name for a disease that can kill a baby before it’s even diagnosed.

Ten infants in California have died since the first of the year in an outbreak of whooping cough, whose proper medical name is pertussis. Many Americans think of it as a disease of the past, but nearly 6,000 cases in California  and more nationwide suggest otherwise.

Although California has had the highest number of whooping cough cases this year, other states are seeing slight increases. And Michigan has been watching a rise since the second half of 2008, which continues, according to the CDC. By Aug. 15, Michigan had seen 610 pertussis cases, compared with 902 for all of 2009 and 315 cases in 2008.

Daryl and Felicia Dube of Lancaster, South Carolina, became all-too familiar with the disease this year. Their baby son, Carter, came down with pertussis in January.

Whooping cough explained

Carter, just 5 weeks old, developed a low-grade fever one day and was unusually fussy but didn’t show any other obvious symptoms, said Felicia Dube, 35. She called the family’s pediatrician, who told her it was probably nothing serious but had her bring him in that same day to be sure. At the office, the doctor became concerned about the baby’s rapid breathing and called an ambulance to take him to a hospital in Charlotte, North Carolina, about 30 miles away.

Things only got worse at the hospital over the following days as Carter’s eyes rolled around, he grew weak and irritable and he refused to eat. His heart started racing but his blood pressure was puzzlingly low.

Then the coughing started.

“This may sound strange, but the sound of it was like listening to a man, a smoker, cough,” Felicia Dube said.

Listen to what whooping cough sounds like

Carter was coughing so hard that it would make his feet come up in the air. It hurt and made him cry, which made him cough more, his mother said.

When the infant could not catch his breath and turned blue, he was rushed to the pediatric intensive care unit and given a high concentration of oxygen. Test results hadn’t come back yet , but doctors believed he had pertussis and aggressively treated him with antibiotics and sedatives.

“He wasn’t responding to anything,” Dube said.

After several frustrating days as Carter got worse and worse, surgeons hooked him up to a respirator. When that didn’t help, surgeons implanted an extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) machine, which takes over the work of the heart and lungs. Large tubes came out of Carter’s neck, routing his blood through a bedside machine.

“They tried to prepare us for it, but you’re not prepared to see that,” Dube said. “… Once they did that to him, we couldn’t touch him, so I couldn’t hold him.”

WATCH: Why it's important to protect against pertussis

And it wasn’t enough. Nine days after coming down with a 100.1-degree fever, Carter Dube died. Lab tests finally confirmed the pertussis diagnosis two days later.

“They did everything they could for him,” his mother said of the doctors and staff at Levine Children’s Hospital in Charlotte. “They tried. They cried as hard as we did.”

At 5 weeks, Carter was too young to have received his first pertussis vaccination. Because bad weather had kept the family from traveling since he was born, the infection only could have come from the parents, 10-year-old brother, Zach, or the pediatrician’s office, Dube said.

“It’s a horrible guilty feeling as his mother – I’m the one who’s supposed to protect him, and I could have been the one who gave it to him,” she said. “… That’s something you just don’t shake.”

Dube has become an advocate for adult pertussis booster shots to protect babies through what’s known as “cocooning.”

Why are parents skipping vaccines?

“Nobody should have to watch what we watched,” she said.

1. IxNay

If I am not mistaken, it is possible to get whooping cough even though you have been vaccinated BUT the impact of the illness is greatly minimized by the vaccine.

October 23, 2010 at 07:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Sharp

Granola mom buys into junk science & gambles with her child's life & loses. Don't feel sorry for her, she has a lifetime of punishment ahead. I feel sorry for the child. He trusted her & couldn't decide for himself.

October 23, 2010 at 08:03 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Mother of Many

We were apprehensive about vaccinating because even though the statistics for serious injury or death are extremely rare they do exist. Even if a fatality is one in a million, if your child is that one in a million, that statistic is too high. The deciding factor for us to immunize was the fact that vaccinations prevent far more illnesses, injuries and deaths than vaccinations cause. Sure, we hold our breath when they receive their immunizations. We've even had one child pass out and the medical personnel had to call 911. She was ok but that was scary. We also have an autistic son whose autism is definitely not linked to vaccinations in our case. My father had whooping cough and lost most of his vision in one eye as a result. I know what the one commenter means about the "granola mamas" who protect their children from everything while at the same time literally schedule chicken pox swabbing parties to make their children sick with a disease that can be fatal. We detemined vaccinations were the wisest choice we could make, and pray over our children every day.

October 23, 2010 at 08:03 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Valerie

Feliia, Welfare would not be appealing if you have a good job, or even a decent job. In that case, your job should provide temporary disability that pays you something while you are off work for the 6 weeks to 3 months. However, I was thinking of single moms, who may not have a job anymore, or may need food stamps or something just to get through the time period. Most states are having budget problems right now, so chances are they wouldn't qualify, but sometimes it is an option. The best thing is to save money before having the baby. If you don't have enough to save, then you should be able to get some type of assistance temporarily.

October 23, 2010 at 08:17 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. jasha7

These anti-vaccine comments are so ignorant, it makes me sick. Of course vaccines are not perfect, nothing is. And yes, some vaccines might cause problems, but their benefits so outweigh the dangers of communicable diseases, it's a no-brainer. These nutty, conspiracy stoking, science denying posts are emblematic of just how clueless some folks are when it comes to public health, the dangers of communicable diseases, and the role of vaccines and other public health measures in eradicating killer diseases around the world. Quite simply, those parents who deny their children appropriate vaccines have blood on their hands.

October 23, 2010 at 08:19 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. sosideirish

Just another benefit we've acquired from the ever-increasing ILLEGAL POPULATION!

October 23, 2010 at 08:37 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Ina Riley

What a shame,because of people like JennyMacarthywho preachesagainst vaccinations to satisfy her own guilt.Millions of children have been vaccinated and don't have Autisim.

October 23, 2010 at 09:16 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Kiwi

I nearly lost my 8 month old to pertussis, nearly 18 years ago. I had had him immunized so the military doctors at the U.S. Army hospital we had to go to in Germany were never really able to explain to me why he caught it, but there was speculation that it was because he was a macro-baby. There was a family of local nationals who didn't have their children immunized, and the kids got sick with it, we know that's where it came from, though I didn't know this til later. Who know, it matters not now. This isn't about military doctors or hospitals. I know how close I came to losing my son, and to this day I have an occasional nightmare about it. All I really wanted to contribute here is my deepest and most sincere sympathy goes to Carter's family.

October 23, 2010 at 09:36 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Susan

I get a flu shot every year because I am Diabetic. I work in the public and I want to do whatever I can to help protect myself from getting the flu. I went 3 days ago and got my pertussis shot because as a grandmother I want to do whatever I can to help protect my grandchild, who is due to be born in 3 weeks.
    If you have young children in your family that is to small to get the shot then as a Parent or a Grandparent it is your DUTY as a Parent or Grandparent to get the Pertussis shot. Shame on you if you don't go get this shot because you are putting that child is harms way if you don't. You might say "well there are no guarantees that it will work" Well heck you can go buy a new lawn mower and there are no guarantees that it will crank when you get it home BUT there is also a chance it will.
    Let's put it like this..If you don't get it and your baby or grandchild is lying in a hospital doing everything it can just to breath, then the first thing that is going to hit you is "I should have gotten the shot".

October 23, 2010 at 09:58 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Dan

doctor.htmlhttp://latimesblogs.latimes.com/booster_shots/2009/02/british-doctor.html

October 23, 2010 at 10:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Chuck

Yes, some people have a reaction after a vaccination, but we owe it to ourselves and everyone to get vaccinated. The risk is just too great. And for those who continue to preach the connection between vaccines and autism...this has been thoroughly disproven. Live in your dream world, but I pray your child does not die because of your foolishness.

October 23, 2010 at 10:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. DM

@Rachel-The Perussis shot DOES prevent the disease, that's why it's offered. Vaccinations are out there for a reason and my children have had everyone one of them. We didn't take any chances.

October 23, 2010 at 10:45 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Eeyore

October 23, 2010 at 10:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Lprodier

When preganant with my first child, a blood test showed a lack of measles immunity, even though I had been properly vaccinated previously. The vaccine did not "take", which I had no idea could happen. As soon as my son was born I was revaccinated. I wonder how many other people are like I was – unprotected against a disease I thought I was immune to.

October 23, 2010 at 10:59 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Right Change

Everyone cares soo much for these little ones when they are outside the womb and wanted. But you have no problem with mothers murderign their unwanted babies in the womb. Pretty Sick.

October 23, 2010 at 11:07 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Right Change

Everyone cares soo much for these little ones when they are outside the womb and wanted. But you have no problem with mothers murdering their unwanted babies in the womb. Pretty Sick.

October 23, 2010 at 11:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Eeyore

For the nitwits who can't manage to find their way to sensible information: The rubella vaccine virus is cultured in human cell-line cultures, and some of these cell lines originated from aborted fetal tissue, obtained from legal abortions in the 1960's. No new fetal tissue is needed to produce cell lines to make these vaccines, now or in the future. Fetal tissue is not used to produce vaccines; cell lines generated from a single fetal tissue source are used; vaccine manufacturers obtain human cell lines from FDA-certified cell banks. After processing, very little, if any, of that tissue remains in the vaccine.

October 23, 2010 at 11:12 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. notmyrealname

Here are the facts: The rubella vaccine virus is cultured in human cell-line cultures, and some of these cell lines originated from aborted fetal tissue, obtained from legal abortions in the 1960's. No new fetal tissue is needed to produce cell lines to make these vaccines, now or in the future. Fetal tissue is not used to produce vaccines; cell lines generated from a single fetal tissue source are used; vaccine manufacturers obtain human cell lines from FDA-certified cell banks. After processing, very little, if any, of that tissue remains in the vaccine.

October 23, 2010 at 11:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. cooperpur

I don't understand how unvacinated children are getting into the public school system. When I went to school in the 50's and when my daughter went to school in the 70's their immunizations had to be up to date or no school. When did this change? Why did it change? Lets send unvacinated kids to school to infect the whole class? Or worse, take it home to a new born.

October 23, 2010 at 11:21 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Kristen

I was one of those children who had a very bad reaction to a vaccine. My first MMR shot gave me a fever of 104, and body aches. It lasted for two days, and my doctor and parents elected not to give me the booster. A few years later they decided to give me the second booster and I was completely fine.

Knowing the reaction I had the first time around, I would STILL have wanted the vaccine. I may have suffered, but it was temporary and nowhere near how bad measles, mumps, or rubella would have been. I have had all my other vaccinations including chicken pox, gardasil, and a tetanus booster every ten years. I have an IQ well above normal, and no traces of autistic tendecies, so whatever neuro-toxins or other undesirable chemicals are in vaccines haven't had any negative effects. When I have children, I will be vaccinating them, and all of my friends feel the same. Vaccinating saves lives.

October 23, 2010 at 11:22 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. kim

People need to be educated. News, Doctors, etc. Why didnt hear ob-gyn ask if she and her family are up to date on immunizatons? The cdc can start advertising on tv, health department, I'd rather see a commercial on tv about that than some victoria secret add and big boobs.

October 23, 2010 at 11:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Bev

I too am so sorry for the lost of Carter. Much sympathy to the family.

October 23, 2010 at 11:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Crystal Palmer Bull

While I feel horrible for this tragic loss, I lost my 1 month old infant daughter because she was born prematurely ..and we were able to track it to an autoimmune condition in my body that fought the pregnancy and caused her 22week delivery. This autoimmune condition was brought on by a horrible reaction I had as a young adult to a tetanus shot mandated by law. There are two sides to every story.. and the deaths caused by .. directly or indirectly by mass vaccination must also be examined to be fair and balanced on this issue. Maybe vaccines have saved some lives, but the vaccine courts alone have settled some 1000+ death suits ...so we really must ask ourselves what is the cost to this "so called" immunity and are you willing to let your child die to possibly save someone else’s? This disorder has handicapped me , progressing to 20 brain lesions and seizures given me memory problems for life ...one now that is for sure shortened and it has taken my daughter's life. Look at the whole picture and NOT just at some sensationalized headlines. Reporters should as well. My daughter is just as valuable as anyone else’s.

October 23, 2010 at 11:33 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Molly W

the truth is, most of you probably don't know what you're talking about. you're just a bunch of 'know it all's' who think everything you says is proven, concrete fact, which in most cases it probably isnt..... cant you ever take an article at face value? its not an attack on vaccines and its not a testimony to their effectiveness. stop bitching about how stupid one another is, and think about this hurting family.

October 23, 2010 at 11:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. Lupe

unfortunately, this happens alarmingly more frequently then you think. it doesn't help that there are beautiful celebrities who go all over the place preaching about how bad vaccines are based on"what she believes". Get the facts first before doing more harm then good. Force feeding ignorance needs to stop.

October 23, 2010 at 11:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. voice of reasonable truth

It is just a baby that had accomplished nothing in the world, more can be made.

October 23, 2010 at 11:53 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. gipp

we need stuff liek this to keep the population of the world at normal #'s

October 23, 2010 at 12:00 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. Horace

Whooping cough schmooping cough

October 23, 2010 at 12:03 | Report abuse | Reply
  29. DaveInWa

This is a tragic story that may have been prevented by vaccinations. "Coccooning" mentioned earlier is another term for herd immunity. Herd immunity means that when an entire regional population is vaccinated, then a particular disease cannot infiltrate that population, thus when you have small numbers of unvaccinated individuals(infants) they are protected from that disease because those persons around them cannot contract the disease. in a vaccinated society it would be VERY UNLIKELY to pick up a vaccine preventable disease in the doctors office, heres why. infants are the only unvaccinated members, the are not able to move arround within the population to contract the disease, the other children and adults are already vaccinated and cannot contract or spread the illness. heard immunity breaks down when many members of the population STOP vaccinating themselves and there children. vaccines are not dangerous the, thimerisol used as a preservative has been removed , MMR DOES NOT cause autism, the ONLY problem you will have with vaccinations are if you are allergic to eggs. there are many people on this string that claim to have the facts, THEY DO NOT AND MANY ARE WRONG. Vaccines are one of the contributing factors to increasing human lifespan, many vaccine preventable disease are very debilitating and often fatal. The story mentioned here is NOT unique, similar situations are developing all over this country because parents are refusing to immunize there children because of BAD, INCORRECT, INACCURATE information regarding immunizations. be a good parent immunize your child and protect them. Food for thought – the courts are considering the liability of parents of unimmunized children that pass preventable diseases to persons that are not able to be immunized (infants)

October 23, 2010 at 12:05 | Report abuse | Reply
  30. Horace

wooping cough shooping cough

October 23, 2010 at 12:07 | Report abuse | Reply
  31. Chris

I can't imagine the heartbreak this family is going through.

As the mother of a 7-month-old, I have done a lot of research and worrying about vacciating my baby, but I have made sure he has had EVERY vaccine at the recommended times. First, I absolutely believe that decades of medical science and millions of doctors know better than I do. Second, reading a few stories on the internet doesn't make me an expert. Third, thimerosol is no longer used in most vaccines; only in some flu vaccines. Fourth, there is no conclusive proof that vaccines cause autism. My mother is a speech pathologist with 40+ years of experience, and she concurs. We will continue to vaccinate our son according to the recommended schedule, and we also will be vaccinated.

October 23, 2010 at 12:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. DanteX

Well let us see. IF one of the FIRST principles of IMMUNITY is EXPOSURE to the PARTICULAR PATHOGEN -"pathogen" being the DISEASE-CAUSING AGENT- to begin with – THEN how else is a pergoing to ACQUIRE IMMUNITY AGAINST A DEADLY OR DISEASE-CAUSING PATHOGEN WITHOUT A VACCINE? Hocus-Pocus? Osmosis? The Lucky Rabit's Foot? The Neighbohood Shaman? The "Spirit" In The Sky? There are ONLY two (2) BASIC types of immunity agaist disease-causing agents: (a) ADAPTIVE IMMUNITY -immunity against a disease-causing pathogen which a species is either ARTIFICIALLY ACQUIRES or NATURALLY ACQUIRES- and (b) INNATE IMMUNITY -immunity from diseace-causing pathogens that a species IS BORN WITH- and seeing as how Homo Sapiens are relatively newcomers on the biological evolutionary chain of life, our INNATE IMMUNITY to a wide-variety of DEADLY disease-causing PATHOGENS is EXTREMELY LIMITED and that means we need to be VACCINATED in order to ACQUIRE IMMUNITY AGAINST those DEADLY disease-causing PATHOGENS. So for those IDIOTS out there that are relying on ANY other means of IMMUNITY against KNOWN DEADLY DISEASE-CAUSING PATHOGENS THAT WE KNOWINGLY HAVE VACCINES TO PROTECT US AGAINST – PLEASE CONTINUE TO NOT TAKE THE VACCINES BECAUSE THAT WAY CHARLES DARWIN'S THEORY OF EVOLUTION WILL BE PROVEN TO BE FACTUALLY CORRECT: "The MOST adaptable and the SMARTEST in a species-set get to pass along their genes while THE LEAST ADAPTABLE AND THE DUMBEST in a species-set DO NOT GET TO PASS ALONG THEIR GENES AND THUS GO EXTINCT." And THAT benefits the species-set GREATLY.

October 23, 2010 at 12:10 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Coco

Unfortunately, no one really knows to what degree vaccines are actually effective because in the past we've had pretty much universal acceptance of vaccination leading to near eradication of most of these diseases, in the U.S. anyway. And since that time, we've been enjoying a little something called "herd immunity". Now these idiots who are listening to Jenny McCarthy aren't just putting themselves at risk, but they've also risking the lives of rational intelligent people by destroying the herd immunity that we have been benefiting from for a couple generations now. And with respect to innate immunity, it's kind of funny because it's a random shuffling to some degree, so who is going to be randomly more resistant to certain things isn't going to depend on intelligence at all; so your evolutionary scenario doesn't entirely work.

October 23, 2010 at 14:51 | Report abuse |
  33. DanteX

ONE MORE TIME. IF one of the FIRST principles of IMMUNITY is EXPOSURE to the PARTICULAR PATHOGEN -"pathogen" being the DISEASE-CAUSING AGENT- to begin with – THEN how else is a pergoing to ACQUIRE IMMUNITY AGAINST A DEADLY OR DISEASE-CAUSING PATHOGEN WITHOUT A VACCINE? Hocus-Pocus? Osmosis? The Lucky Rabit's Foot? The Neighbohood Shaman? The "Spirit" In The Sky? There are ONLY two (2) BASIC types of immunity agaist disease-causing agents: (a) ADAPTIVE IMMUNITY -immunity against a disease-causing pathogen which a species is either ARTIFICIALLY ACQUIRES or NATURALLY ACQUIRES- and (b) INNATE IMMUNITY -immunity from diseace-causing pathogens that a species IS BORN WITH- and seeing as how Homo Sapiens are relatively newcomers on the biological evolutionary chain of life, our INNATE IMMUNITY to a wide-variety of DEADLY disease-causing PATHOGENS is EXTREMELY LIMITED and that means we need to be VACCINATED in order to ACQUIRE IMMUNITY AGAINST those DEADLY disease-causing PATHOGENS. So for those IDIOTS out there that are relying on ANY other means of IMMUNITY against KNOWN DEADLY DISEASE-CAUSING PATHOGENS THAT WE KNOWINGLY HAVE VACCINES TO PROTECT US AGAINST – PLEASE CONTINUE TO NOT TAKE THE VACCINES BECAUSE THAT WAY CHARLES DARWIN'S THEORY OF EVOLUTION WILL BE PROVEN TO BE FACTUALLY CORRECT: "The MOST adaptable and the SMARTEST in a species-set get to pass along their genes while THE LEAST ADAPTABLE AND THE DUMBEST in a species-set DO NOT GET TO PASS ALONG THEIR GENES AND THUS GO EXTINCT." And THAT benefits the species-set GREATLY.

October 23, 2010 at 12:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  34. Chris

I should add that not only am I a mother of a 7-month-old with a grandmother who is a 40-year expert in autism, I also have a Master's degree in Biology, would consider myself more crunchy-granola than the average bear, and have had an adult family member contract pertussis (it nearly killed her). YES to vaccines.

October 23, 2010 at 12:14 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. ja rasta

Very sad. I listened to the recording of whooping cough as well, and as a parent I was horrified! Having said that my children are not immunized except for Tetanus. We may choose to immunize as we deem necessary such as outbreaks and such, but as has ben pointed out vaccinations do not provide 100% protection. Furthermore, the US government has a compensation fund for families who have children that have been injured or killed from vaccinations. This fund provided over 100 million dollars to Americans during the 90's for complications in US sanctioned immunizations to Americans. If the vaccinations1 `are so safe why does this fund exist and why has so much been paid out? Blaming 'granola moms' (or granola dads) for opting out is a scapegoat. I think every parent has to make educated choices, and I for one don't follow MD's blindly. As a medical professional I had a lively two hour discussion with the director of pediatric infectious diseases of Ho Chi Minh City some years back about the pros and cons of immunization, and at the end of our discussion we shook hands concluding that, "You're damned if you do and damned if you don't." As for myself I guess I am damned because I do practice preventive health care with my kids, and I don't regularly immunize them. As for guarantees I don't remember ever learning that life is without risk. And for those of us with young children I pray for peace, health and tolerance.

October 23, 2010 at 12:18 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. Chris

How RIDICULOUS, calling this story propaganda!

What an insult to the family, who lost their CHILD. Shame on you people.

CNN reported a news story. You read the stories through your own lenses.

October 23, 2010 at 12:25 | Report abuse | Reply
  37. DM

I find the name calling here, so immature. You people are supposed to be adults!!!

October 23, 2010 at 12:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  38. Mike

Another contribution the illegal aliens have given us in this Country. It used to be immigrants were tested for diseases before they were allowed into the Country, but now, no such firewall. T.B. is also making a come back. Stop illegal immigration now.

October 23, 2010 at 12:31 | Report abuse | Reply
  39. Linda

This has generated a lot of discussion & I haven't read all of it yet, but I just wanted to say from my own experience w/ my son that whooping cough for a baby does not have to be a death sentence. I lived overseas & my son was only a few months old when he got whooping cough. We knew when he started getting sick that that's what he had because it was going around. He was given a strong course of antibiotics before the really bad symptoms started to kick in & was spared that horrible cough which accompanies whooping cough where they can barely even breathe. I don't share this to either prove or disprove vaccinations' merits, because he may have still been contagious to others, but it did save him from the bad effects of the disease. I think most parents probably either vaccinate or not because they feel that's what's best for their child. Most of the time it protects from getting a disease, but some of the time it causes another even worse one. That's why they always have you sign the forms that you acknowledge the potential risks before you get the vaccine in the first place. But in the real world where most of us send our children to public school as the most practical way to educate our children, you really don't have any other choice than to vaccinate your children. Then you just hope & pray that it will do them good w/o bad effects. But if you worry about giving a child a vaccination, then how much more a tiny newborn baby? Some other (not whooping cough) childhood diseases are better to get as a child (not a baby) than after the teen years, because they're actually milder then.

October 23, 2010 at 12:31 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Lee Morgan

True, I developed whooping cough from my vaccination as a baby in the 1950s – came through it just fine. Not all babies die from it, in fact, very few do, which makes it so much harder for the bereaved families – it's such a rare event.

October 24, 2010 at 08:49 | Report abuse |
  40. Maria Ashot

WHY ON EARTH WOULD IT TAKE SO LONG FOR TEST RESULTS? Lab work should have had the diagnosis within 3 hours.

October 23, 2010 at 12:33 | Report abuse | Reply
  41. Mary

Maybe keeping infants exclusively at home until they are 3 months would be a good policy? I can't help thinking that despite the hospital's best intentions and efforts, the baby would have had more of a chance of surviving with at home care sans all the tubes and fancy technology. But, I don't know.

October 23, 2010 at 12:34 | Report abuse | Reply
  42. Anon CA

To "guest".

Before you call somebody idiot, try to concentrate your gray cells, as many as have, on the whole post. It is clearly written: All viral tests came back negative! Thera are not viruses involved. It is an infection, and the fever indicates that. Tylenol reduces temporarily the fever, but it does not fight the source of the fever – the infection. That is why the antibiotic is absolutely necessary, simply to stop the infection. If it is not given on time the infection should go to the lungs, and it may cause pneumonia.

October 23, 2010 at 12:45 | Report abuse | Reply
  43. All4Him

Felicia & family –

I'm so sorry for your loss. Your family will be in my prayers. As a mom myself my heart just aches for you. Carter is now in heaven watching over his family. Sending you lots of prayers!

October 23, 2010 at 12:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  44. Tim Bates

Thanksto those dumbsh3ts who try to connect Autism to vaccinations. blood is on your hands

October 23, 2010 at 12:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  45. Indian Man from Mumbai

This is so heart breaking to read, my prayers go out to the family and friends of this baby, reading this I have no words, this is very very heart breaking

October 23, 2010 at 12:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  46. Keri Davis

Period 1

October 23, 2010 at 12:58 | Report abuse | Reply
  47. Me

@DaveinWa, the H1N1 vaccine does contain thimerisol. Spend an hour or two researching vaccines and then you can share your new thoughts. Try to find out how we destroyed "bad" thimerisol containing vaccines, oh wait, we didn't, we sent them to third world nations to infect their kids. The FDA is a corrupt and severely flawed government agency. Do you know big pharma lobbyists put a section into the anti-terror legislation that people cannot sue for damage from vaccines because it would inhibit their resources and ability to respond during a terror act? Pretty shady. If you think these people have anything on their minds other than the bottom line then I'll sell you a moldy johnson & johnson plant.

October 23, 2010 at 13:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  48. Lyd333

Felicia – I read your story on Faces of Loss Faces of Hope website and my heart broke for you then and continues to break for you now. Please do not beat yourself up over whether or not you passed Pertussis to your sweet Carterbug, that will only tear you apart. I am so incredibly sorry for your family's loss.

October 23, 2010 at 13:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  49. Duh

Who cares. 10s of thousands die each day from something. Quit arguing, you all sound like idiots. You might as well be arguing about religion.

October 23, 2010 at 13:12 | Report abuse | Reply
  50. Eric

(1) Vaccines do not guarantee 100% perfect protection for every person vaccinated, but they MASSIVELY REDUCE the risk of infection. (2) Like everything else, vaccines have (small) risks, but getting vaccinated is FAR, FAR SAFER than not getting vaccinated! (3) Vaccines do not cause autism. This has been repeatedly shown by large scientific studies of thousands of children. (4) Parents who fail to vaccinate their children put their own children at risk. But they also put at risk children who were vaccinated but didn't get full immunity because the unvaccinated children enable the disease to spread in the population and reach the vaccinated but non-immune children, or infants too young for a vaccine (like this one). A parent who chooses not to vaccinate their child may cause the death of your vaccinated child! (5) Celebrities like Jenny McCarthy and not-for-profits like Generation Rescue that spread misinformation and fear about vaccines are responsible for increasing the number of parents who (wrongly) choose not to vaccinate and therefore increasing the number of needless, preventable deaths like this one. (6) Read the book "Autism's False Prophets" for an excellent account of how misinformation starting with Andrew Wakefield (who has now had his medical license revoked) has spread fear of vaccines and led to a resurgence of preventable childhood illnesses and additional deaths of infants like this one.

October 23, 2010 at 13:12 | Report abuse | Reply