home
RSS
A tiny life lost to whooping cough
October 22nd, 2010

A tiny life lost to whooping cough

Whooping cough is a rather mild-sounding name for a disease that can kill a baby before it’s even diagnosed.

Ten infants in California have died since the first of the year in an outbreak of whooping cough, whose proper medical name is pertussis. Many Americans think of it as a disease of the past, but nearly 6,000 cases in California  and more nationwide suggest otherwise.

Although California has had the highest number of whooping cough cases this year, other states are seeing slight increases. And Michigan has been watching a rise since the second half of 2008, which continues, according to the CDC. By Aug. 15, Michigan had seen 610 pertussis cases, compared with 902 for all of 2009 and 315 cases in 2008.

Daryl and Felicia Dube of Lancaster, South Carolina, became all-too familiar with the disease this year. Their baby son, Carter, came down with pertussis in January.

Whooping cough explained

Carter, just 5 weeks old, developed a low-grade fever one day and was unusually fussy but didn’t show any other obvious symptoms, said Felicia Dube, 35. She called the family’s pediatrician, who told her it was probably nothing serious but had her bring him in that same day to be sure. At the office, the doctor became concerned about the baby’s rapid breathing and called an ambulance to take him to a hospital in Charlotte, North Carolina, about 30 miles away.

Things only got worse at the hospital over the following days as Carter’s eyes rolled around, he grew weak and irritable and he refused to eat. His heart started racing but his blood pressure was puzzlingly low.

Then the coughing started.

“This may sound strange, but the sound of it was like listening to a man, a smoker, cough,” Felicia Dube said.

Listen to what whooping cough sounds like

Carter was coughing so hard that it would make his feet come up in the air. It hurt and made him cry, which made him cough more, his mother said.

When the infant could not catch his breath and turned blue, he was rushed to the pediatric intensive care unit and given a high concentration of oxygen. Test results hadn’t come back yet , but doctors believed he had pertussis and aggressively treated him with antibiotics and sedatives.

“He wasn’t responding to anything,” Dube said.

After several frustrating days as Carter got worse and worse, surgeons hooked him up to a respirator. When that didn’t help, surgeons implanted an extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) machine, which takes over the work of the heart and lungs. Large tubes came out of Carter’s neck, routing his blood through a bedside machine.

“They tried to prepare us for it, but you’re not prepared to see that,” Dube said. “… Once they did that to him, we couldn’t touch him, so I couldn’t hold him.”

WATCH: Why it's important to protect against pertussis

And it wasn’t enough. Nine days after coming down with a 100.1-degree fever, Carter Dube died. Lab tests finally confirmed the pertussis diagnosis two days later.

“They did everything they could for him,” his mother said of the doctors and staff at Levine Children’s Hospital in Charlotte. “They tried. They cried as hard as we did.”

At 5 weeks, Carter was too young to have received his first pertussis vaccination. Because bad weather had kept the family from traveling since he was born, the infection only could have come from the parents, 10-year-old brother, Zach, or the pediatrician’s office, Dube said.

“It’s a horrible guilty feeling as his mother – I’m the one who’s supposed to protect him, and I could have been the one who gave it to him,” she said. “… That’s something you just don’t shake.”

Dube has become an advocate for adult pertussis booster shots to protect babies through what’s known as “cocooning.”

Why are parents skipping vaccines?

“Nobody should have to watch what we watched,” she said.

1. Leslie

My baby became ill with pertussis at 6 weeks old. He contracted it from his father but we didn't know his dad had pertussis. The symptoms in adults are not the same as babies. This was 20 years ago and it took about 3 days for the pediatrician to diagnose even though I kept taking my baby that was growing sicker day by day back repeatedly. My son was lucky and survived but the illness was hell and it took a very long time to recover from.

Get Vaccinated!

October 22, 2010 at 19:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Marilyn

Sorry Heidi, but you are misguided in thinking vaccinations are useless. I have two adult children, both were vaccinated. One has mild autism, and the other took gifted classes in school. Both are amazingly healthy, as am I. The world is a crowded place, and everybody moves around with ease. Do you expect other people to thwart the germs by vaccinating themselves and their children, and you reap the benefits of a less-infectious environment? Please don't over-think the issue, thus distancing yourself from it (using research and your education to rationalize your selfish decision not to vaccinate).

October 22, 2010 at 19:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. DMB/ATL/BKLYN

My mother vaccinated my sister and me against any germ known to man at the time.I am now 58 years old and the only childhood illness I had was chicken pox. I had my boosters because my sister had children and I was her built in babysitter. All Of her children had thier shots and they are
    fine. My oldest niece has three children and her oldest was diagnosed with Autism. He now 31 years old lives in a group home and has a job at Walgreens. Other then colds he has never been sick. My Niece says that he had all his shots and she has no regrets about him having them. She is a social worker and has too many children die from illnesses that could have been prevented or minimalized. If I had had kids they too would have had thier shots.

October 22, 2010 at 20:05 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Jack

My daughter has this when she was just 5 weeks old. It was bad she was not schedual for her shots for one week after she got it. It is super scarry and if my wife did not stay in the hospital with her 24/7 I dont know if she would have made it because the results were not in and the hospital want to release her before she got the anitbotics. It is sad and my heart goes out to the family.

October 22, 2010 at 20:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Jenny

I didn't read through the responses because people get ridiculous and mean about the vaccine topic and what really needs to happen is that we just say we are sorry that something so tragic happened to the poor little baby. I am sorry Daryl and Felicia, my prayers are with you. Watching your child go through something so horrific is just heartbreaking.

October 22, 2010 at 20:09 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Spring13

Again I am wondering'/curious if these babies were breastfed because they would have their mother's immune system at the time with HIGHER IMMUNITY to these kinds of things at that young age.

October 22, 2010 at 20:09 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Anat

My baby was one of these cases, fortunately not as bad. I started coughing in the hospital while recovering from my C-section and preeclampsia. No one even remotely suspected whooping cough, of course. I was put on first-line antibiotics that are not effective against it. I was struggling to breastfeed and was holding my son almost all the time. Three weeks later he got a cough too, which kept getting worse and worse. Finally my pediatrician's younger colleague suspected pertussis and sent him to the hospital, where he was put on intravenous antibiotics and kept under observation for 48 hours, then sent home. After that we had six weeks of him waking up several times a night (and from all his naps) whooping and gasping for breath, but did recover. We were told we were lucky: it was a mild case.

This was six years ago. While I was pregnant or beforehand, my OB/GYNs had never said I need a booster for pertussis - I had no idea that my childhood vaccine was no longer effective. It wasn't suspected in the hospital (where I may have picked it up) or in followup visits to either the OB/GYN or the pediatrician, even though my cough was bad enough that I couldn't sleep without codeine. Putting me on a stronger antibiotic to begin with might have prevented me from infecting my son (or possibly not). It took the county health department six weeks to come back with a definitive diagnosis of pertussis - six weeks! And then suddenly all hell broke loose, I started getting multiple calls from the health department asking who was exposed to the baby, and trying to convince me to have all those people vaccinated (not likely, at that point).

So I guess I wasn't the only case. I'm sorry to see that; but I'm glad that there is now an emphasis on getting the needed booster shots.

October 22, 2010 at 20:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Spring13

As far as the Autism statements, no there are not proven studies that the vaccines actually cause autism however Mercury Poisoning and Autism have the Exact Same side effects. Mercury is what there trying to take out of vaccines which is now being called preservative free vaccines but there are soo many on market that it will take a long time to clean through the ones with Mercury and there still using them and there is a reason there taking the Mercury vaccinations out.

October 22, 2010 at 20:17 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. ieat

i don' t know how people can be so sure about vaccination. My friend is a doctor and when I ask him what he thinks, he said the best is if everyone else is vaccinated. The medical world is aware of the issues, but as doctors they cannot recommend people not getting it. Even he didn't want to vaccinate his kid.

October 22, 2010 at 20:18 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Christie

Pertussis is more common than you think. Same as Felicia; I am a mom you lost her son to PERTUSSIS. My son, Levi,
    was 54 days old when he passed Oct 8, 2009 after 5 longs days in PICU. My son Levi was to young to recieve his 1st Dtap Shot. Places of exposure he could of contracted it was from adult family members or peds office for check-ups from other patients in the office. We were diagnosed with RSV & we told not to worry. WRONG – People realize we are normal mid-class families who have lost our children & apart of our heart to Pertussis something that could have been prevented with a vaccination. The pain never goes away but you work through it.

October 22, 2010 at 20:38 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Terri

One of the grand lies of the vaccine program is the concept of "herd immunity." It is based on the idea that if a certain percentage of the population is immunized against an infectious disease, epidemics can be prevented. The exact percentage changes, mainly, in my opinion, to suit the vaccine manufacturers. In the beginning it was 68 percent need covered, but now some are calling for 95 to 100 percent immunization to reach these goals. We are constantly told, and many doctors believe, that herd immunity has prevented epidemics from occurring in modern America. Unfortunately, there is NO evidence of this for a number of reasons. .....vaccines for most Americans declined to non-protective levels within 5 to 10 years of the vaccines. (This is why they tell us we need booster or more $$)This means that for the vast majority of Americans, as well as others in the developed world, herd immunity doesn't exist and hasn't for over 60 years

October 22, 2010 at 20:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Terri

One of the grand lies of the vaccine program is the concept of "herd immunity." It is based on the idea that if a certain percentage of the population is immunized against an infectious disease, epidemics can be prevented. The exact percentage changes, mainly, in my opinion, to suit the vaccine manufacturers. In the beginning it was 68 percent, but now some are calling for 95 to 100 percent immunization to reach these goals. We are constantly told, and many doctors believe, that herd immunity has prevented epidemics from occurring in modern America. Unfortunately, there is very little evidence of this for a number of reasons. .....vaccines for most Americans declined to non-protective levels within 5 to 10 years of the vaccines. This means that for the vast majority of Americans, as well as others in the developed world, herd immunity doesn't exist and hasn't for over 60 years

October 22, 2010 at 20:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Sarah

October 22, 2010 at 20:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Rachael

One of the grand lies of the vaccine program is the concept of "herd immunity." It is based on the idea that if a certain percentage of the population is immunized against an infectious disease, epidemics can be prevented. The exact percentage changes, mainly, in my opinion, to suit the vaccine manufacturers. In the beginning it was 68 percent, but now some are calling for 95 to 100 percent immunization to reach these goals. We are constantly told, and many doctors believe, that herd immunity has prevented epidemics from occurring in modern America. Unfortunately, there is NO evidence of this for a number of reasons. .....vaccines for most Americans declined to non-protective levels within 5 to 10 years of the vaccines. This means that for the vast majority of Americans, as well as others in the developed world, herd immunity doesn't exist and hasn't for over 60 years.

October 22, 2010 at 20:43 | Report abuse | Reply
    • eeyore

Wow! What a coincidence! Three different posters all with EXACTLY the same post!!! Gee, what are the odds?

October 27, 2010 at 19:12 | Report abuse |
  15. Brenda

Sadly, my daughter was diagnosed with pertussis at 3 months old. THANKFULLY, she is now a very healthy 17 year old. She spent two and a half weeks in NICU with 24 hour nurse care! I can not say this enough, IMMUNIZE your children and yourselves. Although my daughter had the disease, she still needed to have a booster -not to mention, a class mate was just diagnosed this week with this PREVENTABLE disease.

October 22, 2010 at 20:45 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Tracy

My heart goes out to this family and what they are going through. It is sad that so many people feel the need to judge others based on their personal choices, I thought this was the land of the free, but apparently not – freedom means that we should have the right what is put into our bodies or taken out of them. Period.

I am personnally on the fence about vaccines, I have one child that nearly died after receiving their third MMR vaccine and the docs couldn't say why – but reading the literature on the vaccines (the documents they give you to read before they give the shot that includes the risks) did state that there was a chance of illness or death. In fact, that warning is on nearly every vaccine I have read (since that incident) so that conveys that they are not 100% safe for every person.

Those people that say, "more people have been saved than injured" - that may be true, until that injured person is someone you love, then that risk becomes too great. It is fine to talk about others accepting the risk but if your child was the 1 in however many that died from a vaccine, contracted polio or developed a severe infection and ended up handicapped for life, would you be as adamant about the safety of the vaccines or demanding others to use them without question?

After many years of tests we have discovered that our child has extremely high levels of mercury which have been traced back to vaccines – primarily because the military requires many more vaccines than normal and overvaccinated her at the age of three. Anyone that says they are 100% safe is naive, they can be safe for some and deadly for others, which is why there should always be a choice whether the risk is acceptable.

October 22, 2010 at 20:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. adjusted

I just have a comment on Vaccines. First of all, my heart does go out to the family of this precious little boy. Well, I have three children that are not vaccinated (they are 10 and under) well, they all had chicken pox last year one right after another. About a week before I notice even one pox . My daugher said that a little boy at school has chicken pox and to look out for them. It was after I noticed the first sign of chicken pox on my daughter I called the mother of the boy and asked if he had been vaccinated for chicken pox....YES! Well, there you have it my child (all three) had a very mild case and it all started from a child that had been vaccinated!

October 22, 2010 at 20:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Concerned Mom

I find it terribly disturbing that people choose not to vaccinate their children. The benefits of protecting our children against disease FAR outweigh any potential risks that vaccines pose. There have been claims and accusations but no real proof that vaccines cause things like autism. Children share germs, and vaccinations, while not 100% guaranteed to prevent disease, are an excellent way to reduce our children's exposure to the most harmful germs. I fear for all of those children out there who aren't protected.

October 22, 2010 at 20:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Laura Gomez

All this talk of proof and statistics. Did no one catch that out of almost 6000 known or suspected cases of pertussis in California 10 infants died? That is .16 of a percent of people who had the disease died. Specifically: 526,774 infants were born in California in 2009, slightly more are projected to be born by the end of 2010. So 10 out of over 1/2 a million infants born, died from this "epidemic". (Epidemic simply means more disease occurring than was to be expected). We are talking thousandths of a percentage of infants were affected by this AND there is NO proof that parents who chose not to vaccinate their children had any contact with any of those infants. The last outbreak “peak” in California was in 2005, when 3,182 cases and eight deaths were reported. This disease has natural surges over the years-amongst the vaccinated as well and there are always some cases.
    They absolutely would've pointed it out if the family who suffered this tragic loss had made the choice not to vaccinate. More likely their eldest son was just about the age when a booster is required and his immunity had worn off or their own immunity had worn off. Most adults do not stay up-to-date on their boosters.
    Stick to the facts and don't try to use a family's loss to generate hysteria and hatred for anyone who decides not to have a child vaccinated. I personally know a man who almost died immediately following a vaccination, so, did not choose to vaccinate his children, lest they have the same reaction that he did. That is his and his family's right to do what is best for them even if the community doesn't like it. They should not be expected to risk their own health for the benefit of others.
    And as an important side note: FREEDOM to decide what is injected into our bodies is our right. Giving up your freedom in the name of "safety" is a very slippery slope.

October 22, 2010 at 21:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Christine from Shot of Prevention

As a parent of five children myself, I thank God each day for my famiily's good fortune. My kids were NOT kept at home the first few months of their lives due to our large familiy's busy lifestyle and we were just LUCKY. Infants rely on herd immunity to protect them from vaccine preventable diseases, especially in the period before they can begin their vaccinations. However, infant immunizations are administered in a series, and immunity may not occur until the completion of the series. Unfortuntely, pertussis is a very persistant and complicated . First, it often goes undiagnosed, especially in adults, which means that it continues to circulate through the population. Additionally, even if you have been vaccinated, immunity may wear off (some say between 5 and 10 years) which is why public health officials are appreciative that CNN and other news media are making an effort to educate people about the importance of adult booster shots. Unlike some other vaccine preventable diseases, even if you have contracted pertussis, you do not have lifelong immunity. To complicate matters further, most adults just don't know there is a booster, or that they should be getting it. Even if a doctor were to recommended it, (and we don't know that they all do) adults may not realize that their own protection can actually have a cocooning effect on the infants they come in contact with. It would help if physicians and OBGYNs could begin to educate women of childbearing years to get their booster shots before they even get pregnant. Until this becomes standard procedure, we must use media outlets like CNN and any others to help get the word out.

My prayers go out to the Dube and the VanTornhout families who have been strong and courageous enough to share their stories at http://www.vaccinateyourbaby.org/ and through other news media. I'm sure it is not easy for them to relive their pain and loss, but they do it out of love for their children and in an attempt to save other children from the horrible suffering they have seen from pertussis. I, for one, am grateful for this article and for devoted parents who share their tragic stories in an effort to bring about positive change.

October 22, 2010 at 22:00 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Edward

You don't know what you don't know. You have no idea regarding the overall health of this unfortunate child. Nor do you know the whole story on the other children. Vaccines by no means are no guarantee of health. The fact is there is no proof vaccinated children are healthier than non-vaccinated children. No major study has compared vaccinated and non vaccinated children to see which are healthier. Are vaccinated children healthier than non-vaccinated children? In fact, the opposite appears to be true. Autism, allergies, asthma, attention deficit disorder, diabetes, dyslexia, tumors and so many other conditions are prevalent in vaccinated children, yet rare in vaccine-free children. [Pearce N et al. Is infant immunization a risk factor for childhood asthma or allergy? Epidemiology. 1997;8:678-680.] [McKeever TM, Lewis SA, Smith C. Does vaccination increase the risk of developing allergic disease?: A birth cohort study. Thorax. 2002;57:Supplement III.] [Cantwell A, Rudnick P. No autism in never-vaccinated children. http://www.rense.com/general85/cant.htm%5D [Testimony of Philip Incao, MD. Hepatitis B vaccination testimony in Ohio. March 1, 1999.] [Ronne T. Measles virus infection without rash leads to disease in adult life. The Lancet. 1985;1(8419):1-5.]

October 22, 2010 at 22:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. A mom

All this concern about vaccines, which have a benefit vs risk consideration...leads me to wonder if those who are worried about the "stuff" in the vaccines are as concerned about all of the toxins your child comes in contact with in their day to day life...Did you use plastic bottles? Pacifiers? Conventionally produced foods? Do you use lawn fertilizers? Pest control products? I could go on and on...Our kids come in contact with so much more that vaccines in our consumptive, overscheduled world! And don't even get me started on breastfeeding...I know...it's a hot button...But do you know what is in formula? I'm not pointing fingers...mearly pointing out that day to day our kids come in contact with hundreds of substances that were never meant to be in our body...Think about it!

October 22, 2010 at 22:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. fred

I really hope Oprah and Jenny McCarhy read this article. I hold them personally responsible for these kids dying from whooping cough. On one hand you have a know-nothing stripper who doesn't know her a$$ from her elbow when it comes to vaccines. On the other hand you have a fat, opinionated, blow hard who's willing to promote that wh0re$ agenda so she can make even more money. I hope they both drop dead.

October 22, 2010 at 22:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. archie

I am so sorry for your loss. Do not beat yourself up...it could have been any body, any kid. I am sorry it was you and yours....nothing douls have prevented it. Trust that god knows the path for you and yours...

October 22, 2010 at 22:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. Average American

Chinese supplying bullitts which are killing people in Darfur! Where is the story on cnn??????

October 22, 2010 at 22:31 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. Greg

This is a sad story. To vacant or not is a tough choice for parents. Anyone who reads this article and is not a parent would not truly understand what occurs when your 3 month old get their first round of vaccinations; such a little baby and a lot of shots at one time. Any parent who actually takes the time to research both pros and cons of vaccinations would choose the vaccinations. There are those who will only see the cons and trying to convince them about the pros is as pointless as trying to convince someone who believes the earth is flat that it actually is round. My wife and I crossed our fingers after our 3 month old daughter (who is now 3 years old) received all her vaccinations. Unfortunately our daughter did have the rare reaction to the pertussis vaccination. Within days of the vaccination she began to have seizures. The reaction is so rare when we called the pediatrician on call at our Dr.'s office they did not believe us. Even when we were present with the pediatrician on call and she was holding our daughter in her hands when a seizure occurred she still tried to dismiss what she witness and what we had been witnessing. At this point we walked out and took our daughter to the emergency room were they hospitalized her in the ICU and the Dr.'s indicated based on all the test (which was so hard to watch all the test completed on our little girl) she was in fact having a reaction to the pertussis vaccination. Based on this she has not had anymore of the pertussis vaccination, but she has had all her other vaccinations. We were fortunate there were no long term effects to her reaction to the pertussis vaccination. Even knowing what we went through I would never say parents should not get their children all their vaccinations; the risk of not is too great compared to the risk of obtaining them. My wife and I took comfort in the knowing the majority of parents were vaccinating their children therefore our daughter should be protected from the Whopping Cough; that comfort is now fading due to the recent outbreak (we live in Los Angeles, CA). I now get upset hearing about all the parents who choose not to vaccinate and put my daughter and others at risk. With that said the Dube's or no parent deserves to loose their child this way.

October 22, 2010 at 22:31 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. davila

For your information, we had a severe outbreak of Pertussis two years ago in Texas. All my children have been vaccinated, and after a frustrating 6 mths of the doctor's trying to figure out what was wrong with my 6 yr. old (including him getting pneumonia, being diagnosed with asthma) a letter home from school said a confirmed case of Pertussis was there. I read the sheet, and voila! I knew what had been wrong with my son for so long. The test is not accurate, so they tested him (it came back negative) but they treated it since the test has so many false negatives, and he was fine after that. The minute my 5 yr old came down with a runny nose and cough (two weeks later) I took her in and made them test for pertussis (they did not want to, you have to advocate for your child). Lo and behold, she had pertussis. And yes, they were both up to date on their vaccines. This is a disease that apparently is starting to resist the vaccine, and it is very hard to catch.

October 22, 2010 at 22:34 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. k26

I want to know if there might be any connections or correlations between new arrivals (people coming from south of the border and elsewhere) and the people who are getting this disease. From my initial understanding, this is something that was thought to be under control in the U. S. Might this be inordinately happening to a specific subset of U. S. society. I would like to know. If it is true that there is a connection there, that would sow even more of a reason why the border must be control. There is a need to know who is coming in and what is coming into the country. I did not read the whole story, but I have been aware of this growing crisis. And it seem like it is happening mostly in the west. I hope they get a hold of this, fast ! Even though I am cautious on vaccines, I would have to say I would suggest people have their children vaccinated against this.

October 22, 2010 at 22:42 | Report abuse | Reply
  29. Greg

Just get your damn kids vaccinated for christ sakes. I'm getting sick about the bitching about autism and these theories that have never been proven. Jesus christ, look at Colorado, Pertussis is all over the place because they didn't want to vaccinate. I would rather take the "off" chance that my kid gets autism, eventhough vaccines causing it is a crock, then to him die from an easily preventable disease. These arguments are just stupid. Americans need to get their heads out of their a@%es.

October 22, 2010 at 23:14 | Report abuse | Reply
  30. Julie Norris

Felicia,
    All I can say is at least people are discussing pertussis. I think you are the bravest women I know. After attending Carter's funeral, I did not know how you were going to cope and keep on going. You found a way to keep moving forward by sharing your family's story. Do not let a few mean hearted people slow you down.
    Love Ya!
    Julie

October 22, 2010 at 23:31 | Report abuse | Reply
  31. Veronica

My son at 6 weeks of age was diagnosed with pertussis. He survived, but I will never forget the experience. The doctors kept telling me he was getting better and not to worry, first it was pneumonia, then it was RSV, it was not until he stopped breathing that his case was taken seriously. My son spent several days on life support and a month in the hospital recovering. As a parent you need to be the advocate for your child, ultimately the decision is yours and you need to educate yourself.

October 22, 2010 at 23:34 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. James

I am a mother of four wonderful children. I have never posted to anything like this before but this discussion was just too much for me. I am so sick of all the finger pointing and name calling. No one is intentionally making stupid decisions. We all make the best decisions we can with the info that we have. My first two children are fully vaccinated and we never had any problems with them. My husband and I are both vaccinated, as are all out extended families. Then came our other two children, and we were even more cautious with them, making sure that ALL of their vaccines were done on time and even opted in for the ones that were not required. we made this choice based on the experience we had, and not out of fear and propaganda. Problem is... we did not do all the research, or take a close look at our family medical histories before making these potentially life altering decisions. Yes it is true that most kids are not adversely effected by vaccines, but it is also true that most people that catch these diseases completely recover from them. We found out the hard way that our last two children have very severe and extreme reactions to the vaccines they were given. We thought these reactions were seperate from the typical vaccine reactions and believed what every doctor said... That is until these same doctors told us that they had been wrong! This was after 9 months of following the vaccine schedule in an effort to protect our kids. it was at that point that we were told that the neurological damage that had already been done to our children was not likely to reverse and that we should be prepared to change diapers for the rest of our lives. To top it off.... They never developed the antibodies from the vaccines that are suposed to protect them. Yes, we know this was a largely unforseen and rare reaction, but after learning about our situation and doing the research that we should have done before we made these choices for our children, we now know that our situation is nowhere near the rarity we thought. We are incrediably fortunate that with an enormous amount of time, money and work that our kids have neurologically recovered (for the most part). Until this day we have remained silent with our story and opinion out of fear of the terribly judgmental comments that have been made here. I cant take it any more! this forum is exactally why nothing ever gets done in this debate. I understand the pain that so many moms like this one carry. It is the same pain that any of us feel when we are faced with having made a decision that has caused our children pain and suffering. the guilt is intollerable. We all suffer the consequences of choices we make. What I dont understand is how so many of you sit here and imply that the pain my family has gone through and the danger that our kids will be in for the rest of their lives is any less tragic than the life of this little baby. I am so sick of hearing that the number of children that are adversely effected by vaccines is so small that it is worth the cost of so few, for the better good of the majority, that these vaccines are required for ALL babies, without any real look at family history or a simple blood test at birth to check the immune system of the infant. THATS RIGHT!!! A simple blood test ABSOLUTELY would have saved my family years of suffering. The number of deaths related to the illnesses themselves are very similar in ratio to the number of kids that die or have lasting effects of the vaccines. None of us will ever know the answers to the what ifs, we just do the best we can. No persons suffering or loss of life is any less tragic than anothers. This is especially true when we are talking about the lives of innocent children. Why is it that so many people think that they have the right to blame the parents that choose not to vaccinate for this sweet baby's suffering. Does that mean that I have the right to blame all of the parents that choose to vaccinate their kids and send their kids to school straight from the doctors office, when my kids get sick with one of these diseases? Look at the shear numbers. My sons are far more likely to get sick from a child that has been given a live vaccine and goes on about their day without a care in the world, than a child that actually has the illness. Parents tend to keep their sick kids at home, but have no thought about getting vaccines and sending them straight to school! live vaccines shed the virus through the skin and are just as infectious to some of the population as a person with the illness. Couple that with the fact that our kids are less able to fight off the infection... you are all intelligent enough to see where i am going with this. We are all individuals and each of our bodies react differently, so why do we apply these "rules" to everyone in the same way? the point of this article and our story is not to wag fingers and play the blame game. Doctors and scientists DO NOT know everything, they are human just as we all are. Any study can be done and redone until the person doing it gets the results they want. The truth lies in the experience of the parents who unfortunately had to experience this type of pain. The sad fact is that we are all missing out on info that could better help us make these decisions for our children, because of parents fear that telling their story will lead to the exact thing that is seen on this list. I believe in the place vaccines have in protecting all of us. the idea that as adults we need to look at getting boosters is definately one that should be considered. Horray for the brave family that is sharing their story in an effort to try to educate parents on the risks they may be taking and a step that they can choose that may protect their family. Thoes of us in the opposite situation that want to share our story in an effort to help other parents make their decisions and save them the pain so many of us have suffered, are ridiculed and called "granola moms" and put into the catagory of extremists. Perhaps if we stop judging and start listening to the parents from both sides of the fence and really look at what is going on, we can make some progress in this cause. We learned the hard way that the decision to vaccinate or not is in no way as simple as do or dont. It is my sincere hope that our experience can help another family not have to go through what we have. My guess is that the parents of this sweet child has the same goal in mind. To the family, my prayers are with you. Keep moving forward in your efforts, you are doing a good thing. We will do the same. Maybe sometime in the future, people can get past the ridicule and really listen. then, maybe logic will prevail.

My best to all the parents who make tough decisions every day...

October 22, 2010 at 23:35 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Valerie

Thank you for having the courage to comment.

October 23, 2010 at 07:56 | Report abuse |
  33. mother of four

I am extremely sorry this little one died. I can only imagine how awful this must be.

But as for how the media is handling this–there is a "rest of the story" that's been left untold (as usual and–I suspect–on purpose). Vaccinations have their place in health care, but they are not the be all, end all of solutions. The uptick in cases of childhood diseases is not entirely related to parents opting to not vaccinate.

Pertussis is an evolving virus and every so often the manufacturers must readjust the vaccine to match the disease. This means that you can get the vaccine and still catch the virus–that you can be exposed to someone who has it, but doesn't know it because they had "the shots". In February, Australia reported a rise in cases of whooping cough (google it if you need proof). They determined that the Pertussis virus had mutated and their vaccines were not effective against some of the newer strains. The same thing is going on here too, but our media is very slow to report it.

I have friends whose children contracted the whooping cough a couple of years ago. Their children were fully vaccinated. Lots of people around them didn't believe them. Producing shot records were the only thing that mollified (and frightened) their critics.

October 22, 2010 at 23:58 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Carter's Mom

Vaccinations do wear off, that is the purpose of bringing Pertussis back to the fore front. There is research showing that Pertussis Vaccines wear off over time. That is why you need the BOOSTER !

October 23, 2010 at 00:38 | Report abuse |
    • mother of four

This isn't about vaccinations wearing off. This is about them not working in the first place because the disease changes.

October 23, 2010 at 06:00 | Report abuse |
  34. iac249

This is so sad.

October 22, 2010 at 23:59 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. sickofmedialies

Read some real science over this vaccine. Vaccinated kids are 2xs as more likely to catch whooping cough then unvaccinated kids. If you want to inject neurotoxins and diseases straight into your childrens systems its your choice, but don't blame the unvaccinated over the fact that you weakend your childs immune system. The death of a baby is always a tragedy and poo happens, I feel very badly for the family. You are not 100 percent protected with vaccines and yes you can still pass on the disease even with no symptoms. Just like with any other disease. We need to start looking into vitamin D deficiencies and nutritional health, before we start pointing fingers, at over hyped bullshite vaccines are not full proof, and they come with KNOWN and proven neurotoxins, antibiotics, bacteria, virus' and a host of other nasty can't be good for your brain cocktail.

October 23, 2010 at 00:00 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. Katrina

Our hearts go out to your family. To lose a baby must be unbearable. Our prayers are with you.

October 23, 2010 at 00:03 | Report abuse | Reply
  37. adr

Prayers be with Carter's family. As a medical professional being vaccinated with Tdap as an adult is a must. People are usually vaccinated with Tetanus, diptheria and acellular pertussis (T-dao) when they are young. A booster of Td or Tdap is needed every ten years regardless if your Doctor tells you. Many people are not aware of this. When a woman is pregnant Tdap is usually given to the Mother and Father before leaving the Hospital to prevent infection of this sometimes deadly disease. Patient education is one of the most important factors in healthcare. Ask your GP, OB, or Urgent Care Doctors about vaccinations.

October 23, 2010 at 00:12 | Report abuse | Reply
  38. Spring13

Felicia Dube-

First of all, I am very sorry for your loss and my condolences go out to you and your family. Second, I am wondering if you have done any further research on what a parent can do to build immunity or protect their child from whopping cough prior to receiving the pertussis vaccine at 2 months old since this is what happened in your situation. The babies whose lives were affected by this were still too young to receive the vaccination. Just wondering what else parents can do in this situation. Is there anything someone can do?

October 23, 2010 at 00:23 | Report abuse | Reply
  39. James

My best to all the parents who make tough decisions every day...

October 23, 2010 at 00:36 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mary

What is the blood test that would have prevented what happened to your children?

October 23, 2010 at 12:38 | Report abuse |
  40. Leanne

To those of you who are asking for 'proof' of dangerous ingredients in vaccines, here is the 'source' (CDC) itself. A list of all vaccines available and their ingredients. How about you google the ingredients for yourself, and THEN decide on whether they are safe? http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pinkbook/downloads/appendices/B/excipient-table-2.pdf (change the '2' to '1' for more). Enjoy...

October 23, 2010 at 00:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  41. Leanne

Judge for yourself whether the ingredients are safe. But you can't 'yell' for proof anymore...

October 23, 2010 at 00:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  42. niomi_e

You guys should look at the VAERS website. 50 people have died just from the DTaP vax alone. And not only has JAMA claimed that doctors report only 1% of vaccine adverse effects, but they are not penelized if they're caught keeping that information hidden. It's funny how, the average doctor who is only required to take two weeks of immunology, is all for vaccines, but the doctors who spend their life's work researching the effects on vaccines, will tell you that immunizations are hardly effective, and that vaccinating comes with grave consequences. In fact, the inventor of the polio vaccine, Jonas Salk, stood before the Senate and begged them to have the vaccine taken off the market because it was responsible for 80% of new polio cases (after the vax was introduced). It is irresponsible of parents to not inform themselves on this issue. The chemical used to prevent the viruses from mutating was deemed to be carcinogenic by the CDC in 2004. If vaccines do work, we are essentially trading in disease for cancer. If we can sit here and say vaccines are the sole reason for the decline in diseases today, then we can very well say that they are also solely responsible for the huge increase in childhood cancer and autism. Don't get your information from google. You should learn exactly how a vaccine is made, and the effect of each ingredient on the human body. If you really want to find out how effective vaccines are, have your child titer tested for every single vax that they were given. I think titer testing should be mandated to all fully immunized children, so we can truly see whether or not vaccines ARE effective. So if you have an extra thousand dollars lying around, go ahead, do it. Have your kid titer tested.

October 23, 2010 at 01:37 | Report abuse | Reply
  43. niomi_e

And when I said 50 people have died from the DTaP vax alone, I meant just this year.

"Autism may be a disorder linked to the disruption of the G-alpha protein, affecting retinoid receptors in the brain. A study of sixty autistic children suggests that autism may be caused by inserting a G-alpha protein defect, the pertussis toxin found in the D.P.T. vaccine, into genetically at-risk children." –Mary N. Megson, M.D."

"There is no evidence whatsoever of the ability of vaccines to prevent any diseases. To the contrary, there is a great wealth of evidence that they cause serious side effects." - Dr. Viera Scheibner"

"My data proves that the studies used to support immunisation are so flawed that it is impossible to say if immunisation provides a net benefit to anyone or to society in general. This question can only be determined by proper studies which have never been performed. The flaw of previous studies is that there was no long term follow up and chronic toxicity was not looked at. The American Society of Microbiology has promoted my research...and thus acknowledges the need for proper studies." –John B.Classen, M.D., M.B.A."

"The medical authorities keep lying. Vaccination has been a disaster on the immune system. It actually causes a lot of illnesses. We are changing our genetic code through vaccination." –Guylaine Lanctot M.D. Canadian author of the best-seller ’Medical Mafia’."

"Jonas Salk, inventor of the IPV, testified before a Senate subcommittee that nearly all polio outbreaks since 1961 were caused by the oral polio vaccine."

"Crib death" was so infrequent in the pre-vaccination era that it was not even mentioned in the statistics, but it started to climb in the 1950s with the spread of mass vaccination against diseases of childhood. –Harris L.Coulter, PhD.

"These data show that DPT vaccination may be a generally unrecognised major cause of sudden infant and early childhood death, and that the risks of immunisation may outweigh its potential benefits. A need for re-evaluation and possible modification of current vaccination procedures is indicated by this study." –William C. Torch, M.D., Director of Child Neurology, Department of Paediatrics, University of Nevada School of Medicine"

"Vaccines, all vaccines, are immune suppressing; that is they depress our immune functions. The chemicals in the vaccines depress our immune system; the virus present depresses immune function, and the foreign DNA/RNA from animal tissues depresses immunity. Toraldo, et al found that the chemotaxis and metabolic function of PMNs (polymorphonuclear neutrophils) was significantly reduced after vaccinations were given and did not return to normal for months. Other indicators of immune system depression included reduced lymphocyte viability, neutrophil hyper-segmentation,

and a reduced white cell count. All vaccines are immune depressing to some extent and that is the trade-off we are risking. The medical thought is that we trade a small immune depression for an immunity to one disease. Now let me repeat, we are trading a total immune system depression (our only defense against all known disease – including millions of pathogens) for a temporary immunity against one disease, usually an innocuous childhood disease. Therefore, the trade is not at all fair."

Vaccinations reduce our immunity in many important ways:

1) Vaccines contain many chemicals and heavy metals, like mercury and aluminum, which are in-themselves immuno-suppressing. Mercury actually causes changes in the lymphocyte activity and decreases lymphocyte viability.

2) Vaccines contain foreign tissues and foreign DNA/RNA which act to suppress the immune system via graft-vs-host rejection phenomena.

3) Vaccines alter the metabolic activity of PMNs and reduce their chemotaxic abilities. PMNs are our body's defenses against pathogenic bacteria and viruses.

4) Vaccines suppress our immunity merely buy over-taxing our immune system with foreign material, heavy metals, pathogens and viruses. The heavy metals slow down our immune system, while the viruses set up shop to grow and divide. It is like being chained and handcuffed before swimming.

5) Vaccines clog our lymphatic system and lymph nodes with large protein molecules which have not been adequately broken down by our digestive processes, since vaccines by pass digestion with injections. This is why vaccines are linked to allergies, because they contain large proteins which as circulating immune complexes (CICs) or "klinkers" which cause our body to become allergic.

6) Vaccines deplete our body of vital immune-enhancing nutrients, like vitamin C, A and zinc, which are needed for a strong immune system. It is nutrients like these that primes our immune system, feeds the white blood cells and macrophages and allows them to function optimally.

7) Vaccines are neurotoxic and slow the level of nervous transmission, and communications to the brain and other tissues. Now we know that some lymphocytes communicate directly with the brain through a complex set of neurotransmitters. Altering these factors will also depress our immunity.

"Yet, it was known in the 1800s that vaccines clog our lymphatics and contain toxic materials which could lead to disease, even cancers. Even Jenner himself had trouble with his vaccines causing diseases, and death. He was nearly lynched in one town for his specious concoctions. Our lymphatic system is designed to carry our lymphocytes throughout our body and maintain control over our cellular immunity. Therefore, the injection of large molecular sized proteins (foreign tissues in the vaccines) will clog our lymph-nodes and create problems for the lymphatic system. Therefore, it is no mystery that vaccines and lymphatic diseases, like leukemias and lymphomas, are related."

October 23, 2010 at 01:49 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Dea2

You forgot to mention the very high infant and child moratlity rate in the generations that did not have the vaccines. People had huge families because half or more would die from diseases that we are vaccined against and have no clue about anymore. The vast majority of people who receive vaccines do not have serious side effects. However, unvaccinated children still die from these diseases, or suffer permanent damage to the body, organs, or brain because of them.

October 23, 2010 at 03:45 | Report abuse |
  44. DrAly

Carter's Mom, I'm so sorry for your loss. What a beautiful baby you had. I just think that what you are doing is very important. All of us healthy people, including a lot of health care professionals, need to be reminded to get our booster shots. It's been proven that even some health professionals forget to get their flu shots, etc. if not reminded. We need to do this to protect the vulnerable people among us, mainly the very old, the very young and the immune compromised. There are some people born with severe immune deficiencies who cannot have any "live" vaccines, and there are all these young babies, etc. that we need to protect. Vaccines do not provide 100% immunity. They are not perfect but they do not HAVE to be to greatly decrease the spread of infections. They were effective in wiping out diseases like polio and smallpox from most areas of the world. It scares me that so many people are so afraid to take vaccines because if the vaccination rates get too low we WILL start having more outbreaks. We just should not have so many people dying of these preventable illnesses. This is not rural Nigeria where some of the parents do not know any better, or do not have the vaccines available...they still have polio in a few places in African and Asia because the people think vaccines are "poison" or just don't understand what causes these illnesses.

October 23, 2010 at 02:18 | Report abuse | Reply
  45. DrAly

Also, there's a lot of misinformation out there about corporations supposedly making a killing off of selling vaccines. That's just patently false. If you actually look in to what the facts are, there is not much money to be made in manufacturing and selling most of these. This is because of the labor intensive nature of making some of these "live" vaccines which have to be freshly prepared and "grown" in the labs, etc., as well as the cost of preserving, packaging and storing them, but also because of the liability risk of making vaccines (because of the threat of lawsuits from people who think they've been harmed by them). In fact, the gov't even had to subsidize the making of some of these vaccines because no companies wanted to manufacture them, because they couldn't even make ANY money by doing so.

October 23, 2010 at 02:22 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Sharp

Absolutely right Big Pharma has to be prodded into making the vaccines or outright bribed into it. No profit in cures or prevention. Their goal is that steady stream of income from maintaining health with a drug you have to buy from them. NO CURES, they avoid that like the plague.

October 23, 2010 at 08:15 | Report abuse |
  46. Dea2

Pertusis is actually pretty common. Outbreaks occur every few years, and the immigrant population has nothing to do with it. As for people still getting it after being vaccinated, it is usually much less severe than it is in people who have not been vaccinated, and those who need boosters. My then 12 year old son caught it in 05 from an unvaccinated friend. My son coughed for two weeks, that was it- no fever, no whoop. His friend was seriously ill for over a month and was one of the first diagnosed. I was sick for four months and nearly got hospitalized because of clots in my lungs. I lost my voice for two months, and cracked a rib. That was after getting antibiotics a week after the first cough. I would not wish this on my worst enemy. My son recently got the Tdap shot to keep his immunity up while at college, and when my tetanus comes due, I will also be getting the pertussis booster because I never want to go through that again- nor do I want to be responsible for passing it to anyone else, espcially an infant.

October 23, 2010 at 03:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  47. truthinrock

More proof for Darwin.

October 23, 2010 at 03:53 | Report abuse | Reply
  48. Carla

Felicia,
    I am so very sorry for your loss. I will get my booster right away. I am definitely praying for your family!

October 23, 2010 at 03:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  49. Tashia

This is so sad and my son was placed on ECMO in July of this year for a different reason, but I know what it feels like to see them laying there pretty much lifeless. And not being able to hold or touch someone you love so dear. My thoughts and prayers go out to the family

October 23, 2010 at 04:52 | Report abuse | Reply
  50. Dan

Check the documentary " Autism, made in the USA"
    "http://www.youtube.com/garynulltv#p/u/169/dWsQVhQGO5c"

October 23, 2010 at 06:52 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Sharp

Don't bother referring us to more junk science. The autism connection has been THOROUGHLY researched by REAL scientists & THOROUGHLY debunked. Vaccinate your child or risk the consequences.

October 23, 2010 at 08:07 | Report abuse |
    • mother of four

Actually Sharp, it hasn't been. Do your own homework. As a matter of fact, the vaccination injury fund has had to pay out at least once in recent history when doctors were able to prove conclusively that a vaccination caused a child's autism. It was a huge case that got a lot of publicity. This is why they continue to insist that vaccinations never cause autism. They'r afraid that every parent whose child has autism will be on their doorstep demanding recompense.

This is why I hate articles like this, not because this isn't a terrible tragedy, and not because I don't think people should vaccinate. To the contrary, I think people should. I hate articles like this because they create an air of panic. No one wants to lose their child and no one wants to be responsible for the death of another's. What they don't tell you is that this isn't the whole story and that it's possible this child caught this terrible infection from a child who had been vaccinated, but the vaccine just didn't take. Or that it might have been an adult who contracted the resistant strain in another country.

My take on it is this: I don't think vaccinations should be administered one on top of another (sometimes multiple shots in one visit) and I do think that that the schedule should allow for longer breaks in between them. The number of vaccinations children receive in this day and age is staggering and the long term effects of them all combined really haven't been studied. (Remember when we were kids? There were what? Maybe ten at the most? And somehow we all survived childhood). I approached vaccinating my own son a liberal, extended schedule. My sons were homeschooled–this worked for us. They're all teenagers now–tall, rambling boys–in college and high school now. They are sick less often then their peers and recover more quickly.

For what it's worth–Look at the change in the veterinarian's approach to vaccinating dogs in the last few years. It's been determined that boostering the dogs every year were causing more health problems than they were preventing. And that after the age of ten, the vaccinations were actually a huge detriment, even increasing the risk of cancer.

I am not suggesting that vaccinations cause cancer in humans (not without proof, I won't). I am suggesting that over vaccinating (too many, too soon, too often) is going to come back to haunt us all some day, if it isn't already.

October 23, 2010 at 18:28 | Report abuse |