home
RSS
October 11th, 2010

First human injected in human embryonic stem cell trial

After years of animal trials, the first human has been injected with cells from human embryonic stem cells, according to Geron Corporation, the company which is sponsoring the controversial study.

"This is the first human embryonic stem cell trial in the world," Geron CEO Dr. Thomas Okarma tells CNN.

Geron is releasing very few details about the patient, but will say that the first person to receive cells derived from human embryonic stem cells was enrolled in the FDA-approved clinical trial at the Shepherd Center, a spinal cord and brain injury rehabilitation hospital in Atlanta, Georgia.  This person was injected with the cells on Friday.

The FDA first approved this clinical trial in January 2009, but later required further research before the study could proceed. The FDA gave final approval in July of this year.  This allowed the company to begin searching for the first patients who might qualify for this phase 1 clinical trial, which means scientists are trying to determine the safety of introducing these cells into a human.

To be eligible, patients have to have suffered what's called a complete thoracic spinal cord injury, which means  no movement below the chest. While patients can still move their arms and breathe on their own, they are complete paraplegics; they have no bowel or bladder control and can't move their legs, Okarma explains.

The injury to the spinal cord would have to have occurred between the third and tenth thoracic vertebrae and the patient has to be injected with the stem cell therapy, called GRNOPC1, within seven to 14 days after the injury.   "At the time of the injection, they [the cells] are programmed to make a new spinal cord – they insulate the damage [to the spinal cord]," says Okarma.  The cells work just like they would if they were in the womb and building a spine in a fetus, Okarma explains.

Embryonic stem cells are only four to five days old and have the ability to turn into any cell in the body.  But the cells that the patient receives aren't pure human embryonic stem cells anymore.  The cells in the GRNOPC1 therapy have been coaxed into becoming early myelinated glial cells, a type of cell that insulates nerve cells.

"For every cell we inject, they become six to 10 cells in a few months," says Okarma.  These cells can still divide some but will not become any type of cell other than glial cells, he explains.

The Geron CEO likens what these cells are doing to repairing a large electrical cable.  If the outer layer is damaged and the wire is exposed, it causes a short-circuit and the cable doesn't work anymore.  In the case of a spinal cord injury, these new stem-cell derived glial cells creep in between all the fibers and rewrap the nerve with myelin, which is like patching the cable.  The goal is to permanently repair the damage that caused the paralysis from the spinal cord injury.

"We're not treating symptoms here -  we're permanently regenerating tissue," says Okarma.

He adds that the goal of this stem cell therapy is to shift the outcome for someone who has just suffered a serious spinal cord injury, and go from a place where there's no hope for improvement to a situation where they can respond to physical therapy.  "If we could do that, this would be a spectacular result," Okarma says.

The purpose of the clinical trial at this stage is to determine safety – to determine that there are no bad side effects or rejection caused by the therapy. Only eight to 10 patients are approved to be in the safety phase of this clinical trial, and patients with new spinal cord injuries are expected to be enrolled at about seven sites in the United States.  Besides the Shepherd Center in Atlanta, Northwestern Medicine in Chicago, Illinois, also is recruiting patients.

The cells that are being injected into the patients are a product derived from stem cells that were harvested from leftover embryos from fertility clinics.  Because this process destroys the embryo, this type of research has been very controversial.  Consequently federal funding of this type of research has been equally controversial.  However, Okarma has previously told CNN that "zero federal funds" were used for their human embryonic stem cell product.

1. blue

If a paralyzed person can walk again because of this treatment, a lot of the "hoot and holler" controversy will disappear very quickly.

October 11, 2010 at 19:53 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. juxtapoz

@Billybob

You can have yourself a tall glass of STFU if ya don't like it. People(me incl) are SICK of religious freak jobs in this country forcing their Medieval BS on the rest of us. If you don't like stem cell research, fine! If it starts creating cures for problems and you get hurt, DON'T USE IT. I am ALL for letting you and the rest of the far-right die for your sick and hypocritical principles if you really want to, because I'd rather see this research used to help troops, firemen, and cops who've been badly wounded anyway. You know, people who ARE of some use to this country.

As for SF and any other holy rollers who'd rather watch people die without better medical options than spend a single tax dollar to help someone, same goes for you: When YOU get sick, you're free to try out the "prayer" health plan, and experience the same disappointment that millions of poor people in slums all over the WORLD have. See how that works out for ya, and then see if clicking your heels three times and making a wish will make Sarah Palin magically appear, sprinkle you with pixie dust, and turn you into into a F'ing tea bag.

October 11, 2010 at 19:53 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Alex

60+ HateMails for S.F.
    Who is he anyway? i can't find is rant anywhere on here. Can anyone repost it for me?

October 11, 2010 at 19:56 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Observer

After comments from DerekM117 at 17:00 saying that S.F. was a troll, the original comments disappeared. The whole thing may have been a hoax by someone totally lacking integrity.

October 11, 2010 at 20:06 | Report abuse |
  4. Adelaide

I respect the beliefs of others and am not racist or against people because of their sex, religion, race, color, sexuality, etc. I am a Christian, and I think this trial is a scientific break-through. Though I don't think abortion is the right choice, except in special circumstances (ig: rape, baby will cause harm or death to the mother...), stem cell research is not morally wrong because women and girls all over the world will be getting abortions anyway, why waste the embryos? Humans have the "spark" to be intellectual, and science is part of that spark. Jesus healed people when he was alive, so why can't we? The Bible does not say for humans to be like Puritans, or helpless beings that don't use the gifts they were given. I agree that these cells are useful and in helping the human race suffer less as they live their lives. How this is wrong, I don't know. But to all who critsize and mock Christianity, I can somewhat understand. Too many "Christians" are hypocritical and don't have good morals. I know "Christians" who cuss, hold rallies to burn the Koran, hate gays, do't believe in medical treatement, belong to the KKK, etc. That is not how I am, I can understand stem cell research, going to the hospital, and I like people of all races. I know how to forgive even the most horrible of people and don't mind the building of a Mosque a few blocks from ground zero. So I hope I give you all a more positive image of Christians.

-16 year old girl from Oregon

October 11, 2010 at 20:00 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Siege

Adelaide, you sound like a sweet girl. I'm assuming you believe abortion is not the right choice because you consider it to be murder of a human. (If my assumption is incorrect, disregard the rest of this post.)

If abortion is indeed murder, why is it okay to have one if an embryo is conceived through rape or to save the life of the mother? Or is abortion only murder when two immoral people do the deed and get knocked up?

As you've guessed, I'm pro-choice. I hope to see the day when contraception is foolproof and easily obtainable so that there is no need for abortion. But I far respect the person who says all abortion is murder than I do the person who says abortion is murder except for a few circumstances.

October 12, 2010 at 13:04 | Report abuse |
  5. Matt

I wish we could keep tab of all the people AGAINST stem cell research so that when it science has been well developed and main stream treatment, we could look people up in the register and tell them "cha, you know what, naa-ha; you don't believe in stem cell research so you cannot benefit from it; of you go to die".

If it were up to these religious NUTBAGS we'd be bombed back to the 14th century!!! Its time to stand up AGAINST religion in politics, and in particular the pick-and-choose religious crazies (either you believe in it or you don't; don't pick and choose for your own benefits; if you think homosexuality is an abomination you can't eat shellfish either, and you can't wear clothes made of 2 materials. BE CONSISTENT!).

October 11, 2010 at 20:00 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. R

I have a friend who is handicap because of injury near spinal cord in Vietnam war. As much I know about the technology, I believe it should help him. It is good to know that there are some sane people who are doing good job. Hope, I can see my friend walking one day.

October 11, 2010 at 20:03 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Adelaide

I respect the beliefs of others and am not racist or against people because of their sex, religion, race, color, sexuality, etc. I am a Christian, and I think this trial is a scientific break-through. Though I don't think abortion is the right choice, except in special circumstances (ig: rape, baby will cause harm or death to the mother...), stem cell research is not morally wrong because women and girls all over the world will be getting abortions anyway, why waste the embryos? Humans have the "spark" to be intellectual, and science is part of that spark. Jesus healed people when he was alive, so why can't we? The Bible does not say for humans to be like Puritans, or helpless beings that don't use the gifts they were given. I agree that these cells are useful and in helping the human race suffer less as they live their lives. How this is wrong, I don't know. But to all who critsize and mock Christianity, I can somewhat understand. Too many "Christians" are hypocritical and don't have good morals. I know "Christians" who cuss, hold rallies to burn the Koran, hate gays, do't believe in medical treatement, belong to the KKK, etc. That is not how I am. I like people of all races and religions and opinions, support stem cell research, and don't mind if a Mosque is built a few blocks from ground zero. So I hope I give you all a more positive image of Christians.

-16 year old girl in Oregon

October 11, 2010 at 20:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Genesis

If god made Adam from dust, and Eve from a rib, would this be considered a riblet to creationists? I think Applebee's may have a copyright on this stem cell thing? Remember everyone, you can be a fiscal conservative and an atheist... Some don't follow a cartoon icon blindly.

October 11, 2010 at 20:05 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Matt

@Chris

I'm sorry my friend but you are wrong. Morals are either based on a higher authority or they are based on whatever you "feel" like at the time (moral relativism). If that is the case, and for some it is, then right and wrong is only what you perceive it to be. That means if I perceive it to be "right" to blow your brains out, well, that's just my right to do it. Morally, according to you, I'd be on solid ground.

Now basing my morals on a higher authority, in my case God, prohibits that kind of silly behavior.

October 11, 2010 at 20:05 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. KaylaMarie

i believe that there is a reason for everything and that God has everything in His hands even though at the time it may not seem like it. Personally i think that God would not give us more then we can handle. i understand that some of you this is a personal matter and you dont believe what i believe in but i bet you my life that if my child was going through this i would do everything in my power to save my child. Prayer is of God and if you dont pray then why on the world would He have given us the ability to talk or even think?!!? John 3:16 "For God So loved the WORLD He gave His ONLY SON that whosoever belivevth shall not parrish but have everlasting life" He gave His one and only son for us and we should GREATLY appretiate that and not live our li ves as fools. God can cure any sickness no matter how bad it is or can be!

October 11, 2010 at 20:09 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. juxtapoz

This is so freaking insane. These holy rollers are the same people who kept throwing tantrums about big bad gubmint getting in the way of private business. Now here's a private business trying to do something positive for the world of medicine, and they throw tantrums to try and turn the government into a giant ROADBLOCK. They can't go 5 minutes in a debate about anything without contradicting themselves. They rail against research they don't even understand(it's NOT an aborted fetus). They call ObamaCare unconstitutional because they don't want to pay to help the poor, but then they want to DENY people medical options this stem cell stuff could provide even if the only ones paying are PATIENTS who REQUEST IT...and THEN say government should stay out of our lives while trying to pass laws that CONTROL our lives. Don't tell them they can't eat meat or smoke a cigarette, but they think it's fine for them to tell everyone else who they can marry, use govt to control research projects, and which drugs should be legal(and that last one gets REAL funny when you stop to think about who owns the companies that make legal vices like Budweiser). They'll talk your ears off about the plight of unborn kids, but if you walk through a school and shoot every kid in sight, they'll do more to protect the GUNS you use to do it than the freaking kids you shot!

These people are nuts, and thankfully being marginalized a little bit more every year. Hopefully they can be brushed aside before America PERMANENTLY falls way behind the rest of the civilized world.

October 11, 2010 at 20:12 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. patriot

Hey billybobjoe – Actually, most of this country supports this type of thing. You are just like the old "Moral Majority" of which they were neither moral nor the majority. I guess when we decend into the dark ages, only then will your puritanical heart be happy. Can't wait for the next Crusades....yeah, that was a finer point of your God inflicting itself on others. I

find it funny that when faced with reality, all you can do is say to people that they are ____ or on crack or whatever.

When you actually make a point, write back.

October 11, 2010 at 20:14 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Kevin

Knowledge is science, and science is knowledge. There is a "science" to everything. And I literally mean everything. Cooking is science. So is wiping your behind. Hmm, I think I will try more toilet paper next time. ANY knowledge is science. Those cookies burned last time, I think I will take them out sooner. Science is knowledge.

October 11, 2010 at 20:22 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. a happy person

this is an important day for science and also maybe to raise america from "laughingstock" to "still kinda backwards" in the eyes of the rest of the world.

October 11, 2010 at 20:22 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. John

If someone is against stem cell research based on their religious beliefs, shouldn't they also be against infertility drugs, medicine, hospitals, ambulances, doctors, nurses, transplants, etc?

October 11, 2010 at 20:25 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Let it be

If a women gets a abortion why waste the stem cell. The life taken won't be in vain if we can use something that just has been thrown in the trash for so many years why not use it?? No matter what there will always be abortions the truth is sad but it is the truth! Turn the negative into a postive.

October 11, 2010 at 20:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. BSEA

Former President BUSH should me imprisoned for stopping this, no 1 man based on his beliefs should deny this type of ground breaking science. I also agree wiht a other statement made here, lets see who opposes this when their loved ones is dying or suffering...WAKE UP PEOPLE>>>>>

October 11, 2010 at 20:34 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. stu

I don't like this one bit. I was just walking in the park with my three 8-cell embryos in a stroller (Steve, Leslie and Job) thinking of how lucky I was to have them in my life. Sure, they'll probably never go to college or get married, but still, I value their lives as much as my own....

October 11, 2010 at 20:37 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. stu

uh...

October 11, 2010 at 20:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. 21k

the all-powerful god that created the universe, gave the scientists knowledge, gives the doctors skill, etc., didn't stop 6 MILLION of his chosen tribe from being brutally murdered during the Holocaust. why would he lift a finger to allow someone to figure out stem cell therapy now? PICK UP A SCIENCE BOOK, IT AIN"T god DOING THIS STUFF!

October 11, 2010 at 20:43 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Edward

Yay! We can finally extend our own lives by grinding-up unborn children! There'll need to be a supply market, so be sure to get in on planned parenthood's IPO.

For the dumb, this was sarcasm. Orwell wasn't pessimistic enough.... And to head it off before you say it, no injury to any loved one of mine is going to make me change my mind on the topic of healing at the expense of other people's children. Sick.

October 11, 2010 at 20:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. VinceRN

Stem Cells of any sort fixing damaged spinal cords is a pipe dream. Weather the stem cells are Embryonic or not is nothing more than a political issue. There are much better ways to use stem cells than this, there are current uses in blood diseases and cancer that stem cells actually make a difference in. So many people people are sure that some how a cure for everything lies in embryonic stem cells when stem cells from other sources are of no use whatever in those same conditions. How is it possible that so little has been accomplished with stem cells from other sources that stem cells from embryos would be a panacea? This is an absurd political argument that has eaten up countless dollars that could have been used for good, promising research.

If Bush had not banned research on embryonic stem cells we would likely be over this by now and realize that that out research dollar is better spent elsewhere. Stem cells are of limited utility, though they are of some utility. Where they come from might make a marginal difference, but not a significant one. I repeat, embryonic stem cells are NOT a panacea when other stem cells have accomplished so little despite years and billions of dollars of research. Let this political horse rest and get back to science that will actually save some lives.

Specifically I think the cure for spinal cord injury paralysis likely lies in cybernetics, learning a way to transmit those nerve signals beyond the injury and to the muscles that do the work. Already we are learning to move prostheses this way and the future for this field is bright.

Again, stem cells have their place but they are not the panacea you all seem to think they are.

October 11, 2010 at 20:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. krunchdope

this is a new day in modern medicine. the embryonic stem cells will work and will build the patient a new spinal cord and then the whole world will see the benefits of embryonic stem cells.

October 11, 2010 at 20:51 | Report abuse | Reply
    • VinceRN

It's shocking that so many people believe that stem cells will be a miracle panacea just because they come from embryos. So many of you believe that just injecting the stem cells will automatically repair the spinal cord. It won't, and the scientist actually doing the research don;t think it will, that's not even on the list of possibilities. They are hoping that there will be some evidence that the stem cells are growing into spinal nerve type cell. They will not automatically do that and know where to connect both end to. All those of you expecting miracles, and there seem to be a lot of you, be prepared to be disappointed. These are just stem cells, there's no evidence at all that embryonic stem cells are better then other stem cells, or that stems cells of any sort will cure, or even improve, all the numerous things you seem to think will be cured.

A stem cell is just an undifferentiated cell, it's no miracle, weather it comes from an embryo or not. Political and moral issues aside, the almost religious conviction that so many of you have about embryonic stem cells being a miracle is disappointing. Putting politics ahead of science like this really shows poorly education Americans in general are.

October 11, 2010 at 22:52 | Report abuse |
  24. krunchdope

October 11, 2010 at 20:53 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. krunchdope

"god" has already realized humans would use these cells in this manner thus made it possible for us to thrive by using these cells in such a manner

October 11, 2010 at 20:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. krunchdope

"god" already realized humans would use these cells in this manner thus made it possible for us to thrive by using these cells in such a manner

October 11, 2010 at 20:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. richlost

"And he smote the men of Bethshemesh, because they had looked into the ark of the LORD, even he smote of the people fifty thousand and threescore and ten men: and the people lamented, because the LORD had smitten many of the people with a great slaughter." (I Samuel 6:19)

This is your God?
    Plagues, pestilence, Noah's flood......
    Sodom and Gomorrah? Do you mean to tell me that there has not been a single place on earth since then that hasn't been deserving of yhe wrath of God, or a few people being turned into a pillar of salt?

October 11, 2010 at 21:01 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. Jesus Supports Stem Cell Research

If this research has sucessful trials, it will change the face of modern medecine forever, and give thousands of paralyzed people the hope of once again leading a normal life.

Don't let the fanatics bait you into a flame war, this is the most important scientific study conducted in recent times. Maybe the zealots should look into the mirror once in a while and do some soul searching. Christians seem to have no problem with abortion, so long as the doctor is an American soldier who is performing the abortion with an AR-15, and the 'fetus' is a terrorist or a person who at least lives in the same country as the terrorists...

October 11, 2010 at 21:05 | Report abuse | Reply
  29. mike

I believe God give us the knowledge to get to the point of this science. God created us with a brain and most of us only use lest then 10 percent of what God gave us. So if you dont think God give us a brain then you need to pray harder.

October 11, 2010 at 21:14 | Report abuse | Reply
  30. mom of 3

I am the parent of a young child who has a horrible disease that could be cured by research such as this. Every day I pray to God that there is someone, somewhere who is working on a cure for this disease. I hope that this will be the answer to many prayers. May God bless these doctors, these patients and these families. I cannot wait to see these victims walk again. It will be a glorious, miraculous day. This is wonderful technology with implications that will touch all of our lives some day!!!!! Go Doctor Keirstead!!!!!!!!!!!

October 11, 2010 at 21:18 | Report abuse | Reply
  31. mike

Im glad God gave someone the brain to creat the internet. We wouldnt be here talking about this is he didnt.

October 11, 2010 at 21:21 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. OnMyOwnTime

Christopher Reeve is smiling down on all those responsible for this wonderful second chance !

October 11, 2010 at 21:22 | Report abuse | Reply
  33. mike

Arent we glad God give someone the knowledge to create the internet so we can be having this conversation

October 11, 2010 at 21:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  34. JJWW

I eat babies...

October 11, 2010 at 21:40 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. dantetn

We will be living to 150 if this works like some hope. Great. Regrow some brain cells but i still piss myself. No thanks. If they will only use it to help the disabled then I am 100 percent for it. BUT, it will not be. In time it will be used to regrow a heart for a child. As much as I would want that for mine if needed... man, we have to stop somewhere or there will be 600 billion of us trying to live together on this planet and we are barely getting by now. This could be the end to us all, or the best thing since the internet. . us typing our thought on this isnt going to change the outcome, we just have to educate ourselves and try to voice what we each think is right. keep religion out of it though. If God doesnt want us to fix a broken body then he shouldnt let it get broken? maybe

October 11, 2010 at 21:46 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Anonymous Viewer

@ Dantetn Sounds like we will just have to find other places to live, yay space?!

October 12, 2010 at 16:04 | Report abuse |
  36. Gregory Terry

It's about time !! That we should all suffer because of someone else's religious beliefs is absurd !! Go science!!!!

October 11, 2010 at 21:50 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Steve

I agree. I respect other's religious beliefs and I, myself, do consider myself a Christian. But I am all in favor of this. I am excited at all of the exciting prospects that this research and medical use has in store.
      Further regarding religion, the argument of "playing God" makes absolutely no sense. If you have a medical emergency, say you need a surgery, wouldn't surgeons be essentially playing God if they're trying to interfere with the natural order of things. Should we just let someone suffer and/or die simply because it's happening as an act of fate and not try to get involved? Of course not! To me, this is just another advance of medical intervention to step in and help people who are chronically suffering from debilitating conditions have a normal life. To deny this is absurd, sadistic, and, well, ignorance of the nth degree.

October 11, 2010 at 22:59 | Report abuse |
  37. Elly

I cant help but wonder– the article said that the treatment is intended to help repair the myelin. In patients with MS there is myelin damage in the brain. Could this potentially help MS patients as well?

October 11, 2010 at 21:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  38. dandydonny

I was going to join in the discussion but I see that this is the childrens hour and I am too old and tired for that.

October 11, 2010 at 22:03 | Report abuse | Reply
  39. ray gibbs

Poet's peace and rest to the volunteers. Every good hope for the new science.

October 11, 2010 at 22:20 | Report abuse | Reply
  40. H1N1 Remember Me!?

Religion has done very little to advance humanity. If anything, it has kept humanity in the fearful stone ages for far too long. Zero benefit can be derived on a large scale compared to the advances in science.

Let's just begin in the early 1900's, from 1900 to where we are now, how much has believing in mystical creatures advanced us compared to the advances in medicine and health we have made? Some people are so looney they'd like to put an end to all of this "science" non-sense. Those people are doing a dis-service to humanity and are borderline traitors to their race as humans.

Get out of the stone age, pea brains.

October 11, 2010 at 22:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  41. Marge

Oh my God they're killing babies! I knew this would happen if we elected that Nobama. But that's what we've got now. And now the Democrats are trying to regulate everything up here in Fargo. Made me take the driving exam again and wouldn't you know it, first corner I came around I was all nervous and creamed a couple of babies. So that's two more you can chalk up to the Democrats. The examiner told me "You know most people in this situation turn on their hazards." I told him "Look I didn't know. I didn't know. Take your points off or whatever you have to do." Anyway that's my two cents I have to get some sleep I'm getting my hair done tomorrow.

October 11, 2010 at 22:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  42. Brandon

Who cares about about babies people abort anyways, If it can get me out of this chair. Your going to kill them anyways who cares. Leave the chance for a cure alone! I want to walk again.

October 11, 2010 at 22:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  43. bmmg39

So researchers are hoping they'll be able to treat spinal-cord injury patients with the use of embryonic stem cells, and some are acting as though this is unchartered territory - even though paralysis patients are already being treated with the use of adult stem cells (albeit with far less media coverage).

In the spirit of "new discoveries" that really aren't, how appropriate is it that this was announced on Columbus Day?

October 11, 2010 at 23:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  44. Melissa

Woo hoo! It's about time!

October 11, 2010 at 23:05 | Report abuse | Reply
  45. Li

Can they make better tasting burgers with this? If not, it's useless.

October 11, 2010 at 23:15 | Report abuse | Reply
  46. Dina K.

ADULTt stem cells have been miraculously successful, but the media doesn't run stories on those successes because they not embryonic. The media should be ashamed at keeping back facts just to push their own agenda.

October 11, 2010 at 23:23 | Report abuse | Reply
  47. shado

I am 19 years old and almost a year a ago I broke my neck playing with friends. I can't express how happy and excited this makes me that one day I can get better function of my body and think about it everyday. Also after seeing other young people who cannot move anything below their necks I can only imagine the hope this brings them and their families. You can be against it, but if you or your loved ones were affected by a SCI you might be more sympathic. This also is the beginning of finding a cure for many things like cancer.

October 11, 2010 at 23:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  48. donna

Science rocks.

October 11, 2010 at 23:43 | Report abuse | Reply
  49. John

This + HGH (yes, we'll all be using that) = 100 years old. A healthy 100.

October 12, 2010 at 00:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  50. HAWK 1

My way of thinking about this is if god did not want man to know this stuff they would not know to do it. also look at it this way if the tests prove out and will help people wasen't it a grand thing that they were cured with stem cells that were utilized instead of being thrown away.

October 12, 2010 at 00:12 | Report abuse | Reply