September 23rd, 2010
08:00 AM ET

What are normal symptoms after Transient Global Amnesia?

As a feature of CNNhealth.com, our team of expert doctors will answer readers' questions. Here's a question for Dr. Gupta.

From Lynn Lemmon, Dunedin, Florida

"My husband recently had his second episode of Transient Global Amnesia. All neuro tests are normal, as expected. However, he had ringing in the ears and dizziness for two to three months leading up to this episode and continuing after it. He also has a persistent headache just above the eyes since this incident. Are all of these things related? If so, what can be done about them?"


Thank you for your question, Lynn. I will begin by saying that Transient Global Amnesia is one of those neurological enigmas - an event that has been described in the medical literature for decades, yet little is known about what causes it or how to prevent it. As its name suggests, TGA episode is sudden, transient (temporary) memory loss. It is a rare event. A person might be in the middle of an activity and suddenly their memory stalls.

TGA is not wholesale memory loss:  people retain basics like who they are, but they may not know, for example, what day it is, where they are, or what they were doing only moments before - and their ability to learn anything new is temporarily impaired. TGA episodes tend to be brief, lasting hours, but usually no more than a day. There is an interesting list of events that tend to precede an episode of TGA like exposure to cold water, emotional stress, pain, and sexual intercourse.

TGA is a disconcerting event, especially for those who witness it, because it echoes other neurological disorders, such as stroke or epilepsy, but what defines TGA is that the memory lapse is simply that - there is no vascular or brain damage as a result of the episode.

Although I cannot speak specifically about your husband's case, I can say that some of the symptoms you spell out commonly accompany episodes of TGA. In fact, headache, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, trembling, sweating, visual disturbance, and racing heartbeat are all symptoms associated with TGA. But having those same symptoms (the headache and dizziness, for example) after the TGA episode is uncommon.

So, what can be done? The first step is to ensure that your husband's recent episode was, in fact, TGA. Keep in mind that there are other vascular disorders that mimic TGA and stroke. If the headache, dizziness and ringing in the ears persist, you may want to take another trip to your neurologist, if only for peace of mind.

soundoff (988 Responses)
  1. Don

    My dad had TGA years ago. It was very scary for him and my mother. This was probably 15 years ago and he has not experienced another episode.

    September 23, 2010 at 11:36 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Beanhead

      I experimented with drugs in the 60's and just turned 61 this year 2015 and had a TGA episode in June 2015. Of course it is easy to wonder if this TGA was a result of those party years. Seems no one has an answer as to what causes it.

      I was at work at my computer when my associate asked me several questions and I did not reply. I was still sitting up with my back to her but she came over and realized something was not right. I was out for what I think was 3-4hrs. I could still walk, respond at times to my wife but did not make much sense. The E/R ran their tests. MRI, CT both negative. Went home later that night.

      Seems after my event my memories of the past 5-10 years are no so very vivid. However, I can remember names and situations from the past that occurred 45 years ago. I have no prior history or headaches, migraines I am a flagmatic personality. Take thinks as they come. Don't get stressed about much of anything.

      Since the incident I have been taking supplements for my memory. Magnesium, Ginko Biola, Turmeric and L-Carnitine. Not sure if they are aiding or that I am just throwing money away.

      Since the event, there are times I can't remember what I did a few days ago. It is not so vivid to me. Recently I have had two occurrences of hyper senses separated by two months. In the last few days smells and taste seem to be heightened. Like jumping out at me. The way I look at people and time seem to have been heightened as well, like I am reading a news paper and the people, photos they jump from the page. etc. It is like all other distractions/thoughts do not enter my mind, like they are behind a curtain letting me walk purely in the moment? This is the best way I can explain it. This condition usually last only 4-5 days. I call it a condition as it is not the usual way (thoughts I think) when I walk through Walmart. Also, the really old experiences now also are heightened and easily retrieved but the ability to lay down new memories has been diminished. It is like my memory is pushed behind the curtain and my mind has been reset to where I am seeing what is going on in front of me without the distractions that usually accompany me through my day. I know this may sound very strange to others but I ask myself, did this event damage some of my memory?

      Not sure if this resonates with anyone that has had a TGA event. There is no warning when this residual condition occurs. However, the morning of the second occurrence, when I woke up even though I was on vacation, I was disoriented. I was not sure if I needed to go to work or why I had slept in. It was unsettling. All of this is unsettling. I do not take any medication and only drink occasionally.

      Makes me unsettled about what could occur if it happens again and I am driving or in another situation other than sitting in my chair at home. I am trying not to focus on these thoughts as it would keep me from driving. This is where I have to trust in my Faith that the Lord will ultimate protect me and anyone else that may be traveling in my car with me. (not trying to preach here just saying how I deal with the question) That is why I am here on this site beginning my research of this condition to see if others have had re-occurrences. The doctors tell me it is a one time event but seems there are some that have had a 2nd and or 3rd as well.

      My job is very demanding processing calls, emails and working through regular duties, a lot of balls in the air so to speak. Therefore, I have trained my mind to be like a salad mixing bowl when at work. Take something in mix it up and dump it so I do not charge the info to memory as as soon as I deal with the issue, the bowl is emptied. If you know computers I equate it to RAM or random access memory. When you turn off your computer it is all erased. Not sure if this memory loss is due to my job or the event.

      January 2, 2016 at 12:51 | Report abuse |
  2. Jeanne

    My husband has now had 3 episoldes over the course of the last 4 years – however, none in the last 10 months. His EEG is normal – the neurologist is astounded that there have been 3 since 1 is the norm.

    September 23, 2010 at 13:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. JB

    I suffered a TGA in Dec'08. Since then all seems to be normal. I was "out of it for approx 6 hours" Remained in hospital for one week and all tests normal. Good kuck to all

    September 23, 2010 at 14:47 | Report abuse | Reply
    • To

      Had a similar experience, but was related to a concussion and not just out of the blue.
      I remember not remembering and slowly regaining the ability to improve concentration

      October 2, 2010 at 23:45 | Report abuse |
  4. Harvey

    I had an episode while on vacation in Hawaii back in 2002. I lost about 8 hours of my memory when I was taken to the hospital by ambulance. During the episode, my wife says that I couldn't remember where I was, what the day or date was, or much of anything else that I was being asked. I could remember my anniversary and the fact that my best friend had died a year earlier at the age of 45. I remember coming out of a fog and wondering why I had an IV stuck in my arm. All tests were normal and I haven't had another such attack, but I don't have any recollection of what went on during that episode.

    September 23, 2010 at 15:46 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Beanhead

      Any other episodes. I had my first 6/2015 and like to hear how long without a second.

      January 2, 2016 at 12:47 | Report abuse |
  5. Ruby

    There is ALWAYS a cause. ALWAYS. Anything that can't be figured out still has a cause. TGA doesn't just happen. Something causes the memory loss. Why is there nothing in this article about the connection between statin drugs and memory loss? Were any of these people on statin drugs, or any other medications?

    My mother-in-law had this happen to her several years ago. Every known test in the book was run and they came up with NOTHING. I researched the medications she was on and discovered after all of two minutes that statin drugs are known to cause this. She was on Lipitor. Was this even considered? No, not even after bringing the issue of statin drugs up to the doctors.

    How many other people on these drugs have subsequently been diagnosed with other memory-related conditions, such as Alzheimer's (I say "diagnosed" loosely, having seen first hand that it is diagnosed based on family opinion over any test results)?

    Our collective health is in a shambles over the use of so many unnecessary, dangerous medications. Look there first before writing off these terrible experiences as "enigmas."

    September 23, 2010 at 16:14 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Harvey

      I was not on any medication at the time this happened to me.

      September 23, 2010 at 16:40 | Report abuse |
    • Vicky

      Ruby, altho I agree w u 100% on the statin drugs but my case was different. The only drug I've ever taken has been synthroid but had been under lots of stress and no sleep for over 5 yrs. I led a very active life which included MTN hiking 6 days/week and working out, even on 2 hrs of sleep. During the stress and no sleep, I would take 1/2 of 5 mg Zolpedim and maybe sleep 4 hrs. Since my episode, I'm off Zolpedim, I take 400 mgs Magnesium nightly and it truly helps. I also shut down IPads, phone. Hard to explain bq it makes no sense to me but if I'm really stressed about something, I can almost feel a chg in the brain. Like another episode is brewing. My advice to anyone, TRY to not stress over trivial things and SLEEP!!! I'd love to hear back from anyone bq this is how we learn – from all our experiences.

      October 9, 2016 at 08:03 | Report abuse |
    • Vicky

      I feel the longer u r on statins, the sooner one will get dementia/Altsheimer. The only med I'm on is synthroid bq I have no thyroid. I had a TGA episode in Nov '14 and it took me months to get my brain back. I feel mine was caused by insomnia and stress. It may sound crazy but when I'm stressed, I can actually feel as if a TGA is coming on. After my episode, I couldn't do math to save my life. I had to use my fingers to keep score, etc. As time goes by, I'm not as scared that another will occur but always in the back of my mind. I used to hike by myself, I don't do that any longer unless someone meets me....I'm a cancer survivor and I found my TGA experience scarier than cancer.

      October 16, 2017 at 00:18 | Report abuse |
    • Penelope Alexander

      I just had a TGA episode. I'm still trying to get my head around it! Hospital stay of three days with many tests...all normal. My doctor had prescribed Lipitor a few years ago...then doubled it when it seemed to be well tolerated. I was diagnosed with a UTI in the hospital...had thought I was coming down with the flu...running a slight temperature for a week. I also had been having ocular migranes during the week before (lightening bolt flashes in my eyes). The ocular migranes had been checked out by an opthalmalogist years ago... I assumed they were triggered by computer use. Now...I'm going through wondering if I should venture out...drive...be alone...very scary. Visited my doctor after getting out of the hospital...he took me off the statin. Wonder if that was the problem. I had the presence of mind to call family and 911 before blanking out...so shocking to realize I have no memory of ambulance, fire truck and five EMTs in my front hall...totally blank. Guess we are all more fragile than we think!

      February 13, 2018 at 20:49 | Report abuse |
    • Lilly

      Hi I agree with Ruby we should never rule out any drug or have any test need to make a diagnoses but also it has to be up to the individual, but the point you make is valid, made me stop and look at my medication. I started have these "attacks" when I was 29 years old. I am now 59 years old. I was diagnosed in with TGA in 2014. I had all the test and checked my medicines and everything came back clear. So I have to thank you because I think I have to look a bit harder as I have had more than two attacks. One year I had over five. I thank God for my daughter every day, she is there for me when I have my "funny turns".

      November 21, 2018 at 17:20 | Report abuse |
    • Angela O. Hedgepeth

      Ruby, I agree that there is always a cause even if the tests that exist didn't show anything. I am not on statin drugs. My attack was May 25 in the morning while doing some gardening. It was hot but not as hot as it had been the preceeding days and I was not doing any heavy lifting or shoveling. I have had a reaction to Ace inhibitors and ischemic colitis and I have a Pacemaker. I am 62, very active and not more than maybe 10 pounds overweight.

      June 2, 2019 at 17:21 | Report abuse |
  6. kpitter

    I had TGA two days ago. I lost memory completely for about six hours, then for the next 5 hours, I remember snippets of things... as if some images from the long past. I was told to see a neurologist but have not been able to find out who can see me before December (I live in a small town). It was quite scary.

    September 27, 2010 at 23:10 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Angela O. Hedgepeth

      Mine was just over a week ago. I am 62. My MRI is Tuesday but all other tests have been normal except for being a bit dehydrated and low on potassium. I have a headache which feels like a tight sweat band around my head like some tennis players wear. Also, I have been a little more emotional, have moments where I feel a little light headed and foggy, and have been having diarrhea which started before the event.

      June 2, 2019 at 17:29 | Report abuse |
  7. essie

    My teen daughter has these episodes, and she does have epilepsy. She has several different types of seizures, this is just one of them. She has been on Keppra (third drug we have tried) since April, her seizures seem to be almost completely under control–except for just one episode of amnesia. That one episode happened during heavy exercise. She has asthma also, and her inhaler was malfunctioning, we think the shortness of breath may have triggered the amnesia. She recovers quickly, but she always runs with a buddy, so she won't get lost.

    September 30, 2010 at 23:22 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Betty Brinkworth

    I just had my third episode of TGA this week over a period of 10 to 12 years. I have no warning when this occurs. But the two things that we noticed during this, is, that I repeat myself over and over and my blood pressure is quite high when we first get to medical help and I am beginning to come out of the episode of 3 -6 hours.

    October 2, 2010 at 15:55 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Angela O. Hedgepeth

      Betty, I have just had my 1st TGA event on May 25 in the morning. I was outside gardening but nothing very strenuous. It was hot, but certainly I have worked outside when it was much hotter. I must have felt like I needed to go to the bathroom because my husband came home and found me on the commode with diarrhea. I was repeating myself so he took me to the ER which is only about 5 minutes away. My MRI is tomorrow but my CT Scan was normal, I was low on Potassium and a little dehydrated even though I drink a lot of water. My blood pressure was actually pretty good. I do have a Pacemaker or perhaps it would have been different. I am 62 and physically active and not overweight more than 10 pounds. I am still having a headache that is like a tight band around the middle of my head and don't feel I am mentally functioning 100% yet. I am so afraid that, like you, I will have another attack.

      June 2, 2019 at 17:39 | Report abuse |
  9. barbara carter

    I had this TGA 3 weeks ago and it was followed by severe headaches for 4 days...bad headaches for another 10 days...now I have no headaches but I am still so dizzy.

    Like everyone else I have had every test in the book...any advice from anyone?

    October 15, 2010 at 16:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. barbara carter

    It has been almost 2 months and I still feel 'vague'...hard to find the right word. I am a professor of Psychology and am scheduled to return t the University in January...can anyone tell me this gets better?

    November 10, 2010 at 10:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Lynne

    I had my first episode two days ago after going to my gynecologist for what was most likely a painful procedure (because the last one was VERY painful) the appointment was at 10:30 am but I lost 99% of any memories that morning prior to the event and only came out of the fog when I was getting a cat scan sometime around 1:30 pm. And it wasn't until I saw what clothes I'd been wearing and that I didn't remember choosing or putting on that outfit – that I realized I couldn't remember anything else from that morning. The evening before is also a little vague.

    The doctor said the procedure was uneventful (although I am really questioning whether I can trust that) and that it wasn't until after I dressed and was ready to leave that I started to ask why I was there and kept asking the same questions over and over again every 30 seconds even though they had been answered. They had me sit down and gave me some juice to see if it would pass, and waited about 15 minutes before calling an ambulance. I have no memory of the episode in the doctor's office, the ambulance, getting an IV or having blood tests or arriving at the hospital. I was given a cat scan immediately, lots of neurological tests (reflexes, memory questions, vision, touch, etc.) then admitted for the night. I had an MRI in the morning. During the entire time I never lost consiousness – but even so, I don't remember any of it until the Cat scan. After the results for the MRI came back, and the results were normal, I was released. I drove to work and worked about 4 hours and drove home. I felt a tad "fuzzy" but function was fine. Today I woke up with a slight headache and a feeling similar to the feeling I have after a migraine – so the idea that this may be related to migraines may be true. I also felt a little sad and had a sense of loss – which as the day has progressed – has gone away. It's a very strange experience... and I don't like that that piece of my day is completely gone and that I signed medical consent forms during that period that I don't recall signing...

    November 20, 2010 at 17:54 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Angela Ogilvie Hedgepeth

      I am not sure if you can see my other responses to people who have posted so I will AGAIN repeat my facts. I am 62 and have a Pacemaker because of electrical issues in my heart. May 25th was my 1st TGA. My blood pressure was not high but at times actually low during my "event." I have had maybe 4 migraines in my entire life–I think I had one as a child sitting in church. It was so painful I had to go to the women's lounge and lie down until church was over. Then, after sinus surgery several years ago, when they think I had some sort of reaction to the anesthesia, I passed out and was left with what the ENT felt was a migraine. I gave myself 3 shots for the migraines in the yr. following the surgery and have had no more since. My TGA was in the a.m. while I was doing some light gardening. It was hot but not as hot as it usually is. I must have felt like I needed to go to the bathroom because that is where my husband found me. I was having diarrhea. I had called him 2x and didn't remember it. I was repeating myself. He thought I was having a stroke so he took me the 5 minutes to the ER. A CT-Scan showed no issues. My blood pressure was slightly low and I was a little dehydrated and low on potassium. They gave me the potassium and fluids in an IV. Blood work showed nothing serious. I don't remember anything until much later when I "woke up" a little in a private room but I was still repeating myself. I remembered my kids had come but not that our minister had come. Finally, in late afternoon I began to get my short term memory back. I have an MRI tomorrow. Since the episode, I have had a headache that feels like a tight band around the middle of my head and I still don't feel totally clear headed–a bit of trouble staying focused and a bit light headed and slow in processing things. My stomach is still mildly upset. I have felt a little emotional and unsure of my self from time to time since.

      June 2, 2019 at 18:01 | Report abuse |
  12. Germaine

    I had my spell two weeks ago. Lasted 3 hrs, and occurred after I got out of bed. Took shower, dryed hair, and remember none of that. Husband took me to hosp after I kept asking same 3 questions over and over. I came out of the fog gradually during a cat scan, and still don't remember any of that 3 hrs. All test were neg. for anything else, but that didn't help my anxiety level. The first week home was frustrating because any project I was doing in one room was forgotten as soon as I left the room and became distracted with another housecleaning project. I used to do that occasionally, but now it was constant. I also had hard time pulling up the words I wanted to say, and had to concentrate hard to do or say what before had been automatic. After two weeks, and constant notes to myself, I am almost back to normal, but still have to concentrate on what I'm doing more than before the episode. I'm 57 with no health issues and no medication, but do have history of migraines. I really hope one episode is it for me.

    November 22, 2010 at 21:47 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Lynne

      I posted my experience just above Germaine's post, so it has now been just over a month and I can say that I've experienced almost exactly the same things she has – word for word! "The first week home was frustrating because any project I was doing in one room was forgotten as soon as I left the room and became distracted with another housecleaning project. I used to do that occasionally, but now it was constant. I also had hard time pulling up the words I wanted to say, and had to concentrate hard to do or say what before had been automatic. After two weeks, and constant notes to myself, I am almost back to normal, but still have to concentrate on what I'm doing more than before the episode." Only thing I haven't had to do is write a lot of notes to myself.Thanks for posting Germaine, I hadn't really realized all of that had to do with the TGA!

      December 23, 2010 at 00:21 | Report abuse |
    • Gail

      I had my TGA episode about six months ago and am still not back to normal. My memory is not what it used to be. I keep forgetting things and like someone else said, I'll be half way through a project and wander off and start another project completely, totally forgetting that I was working on the first project. This is driving me crazy. Am I getting dementia? I was not like this prior to the TGA episode. Am just now baking my Thanksgiving pumpkin pies and realized I purchased pumpkin pie filling instead of 100% pumpkin. Have made these pies every year for many years, and all of a sudden I'm purchasing the wrong ingredients! The doctors all say it lasts for a day, and then everything is back to normal except for the loss of the day it happened. NOT TRUE!! More studies need to be done.... And now I'm praying my poor pies set up! Ugh.

      November 21, 2018 at 21:23 | Report abuse |
  13. Roger

    I had an episode in August of this year (2010) I was taken to the ER for what was initially thought to be TIA. Further testing and questioning showed the likely cause to be TGA. I had absolutely no short term memory whatsoever and repeated phrases over and over with exactly the same inflection. I was able to drive, but could not understand why commonly-known (to me) things, were occurring. It was an extremely frightening experience and to this day, what memory I do have of it brings on anxiety. As to the driving, I had been on my way to pick up my spouse from work, and was unaware of the event until returning home and the symptoms grew worse. This was the biggest clue, for no impairment of other skills was present..but simply a complete absence of immediate recall.

    December 6, 2010 at 15:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Kelly

    Thank you all for posting your experiences. I have had 2 experiences in the last 6 years with the last one happening this past Thursday. I was in the hospital for 2 days, all tests run and nothing wrong. I am 36 years old, so not the average age for this to happen. The one thing is I have had severe back problems for about 4 months to the point where I was having weekly spasms in different parts of my back that would put me out for a few days. I spent thousands on massage, physical therapists and chiropractic. When I woke up in the hospital from my episode, the first thing I noticed was that my back did not hurt anymore and still doesn't! Its amazing how the mind works! Hope to never have this happen again, it causes a lot of anxiety for me when it is over.

    December 23, 2010 at 17:21 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. suz

    Thank you so much for the previous postings. I live in SE Asia and 2 days ago had similar symptoms. It started with vomiting then a bad headache. I woke up and repeated sentences (with the same inflection) previously I had a powerful dream and couldnt remember it. Then I went to the hospital for 2 days. All tests negative. I came out it after about 6 hours. Dr. said it was a TIA but no other symptoms besides the memory loss, repeating sentences, headache and nausea. Now they have me on blood thinners so concerned if there will be a side effect from this if I dont need it! any thoughts anyone. Or does anyone know if a TIA can happen with the same symptoms as a TGA? I cant seem to find anything on the web about it.

    February 9, 2011 at 01:21 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Angela O. Hedgepeth

      Suz, I would have someone else look at my labs and scans and see what they say. It surely doesn't sound like TIA to me. However, I think some doctors do think it might be related. My feeling is that these doctors are not concerned when the blood work and scans show no issues and just lump the episodes under something they are more familiar with like TIA's.

      June 2, 2019 at 18:13 | Report abuse |
  16. annie

    i had a TGA event on sunday midmorning . the early morning was completely normal chores and phone calls etc. i became concerned about going to work and called them saying i was "fuzzy " then had some difficulty going to my friends home next door and told them i was confused they asked my several guestions that i had the wrong answer for several times . i do not remember the ambulance ride or the hospital ER until later in the afternoon . i have a pacemaker and so there was a concern there . i stayed in the hospital for two nights and all tests were normal . as normal as most other TGA 's sound .i have no headache or other discomfort . i feel tired and know that two night s in a hospital will do that .

    March 2, 2011 at 15:47 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Angela O. Hedgepeth

      Annie, I too have a pacemaker. I even had my cardiologist do a scan just after I got home from the hospital. She said there were no signs of any disruption to my heart on the scan. I too have felt really tired. I have had to have a nap each afternoon. At first I thought it wasa because no one sleeps well in a hospital, but I have now had a week of sleeping in m y own bed and still tire easily. I normally can't sleep during the afternoon unless I am running a temperature and sick. I have noticed I seem to be sleeping in 2 to 3 hour increments. I wake up aware that I was sleeping really deeply and that I need to go to the bathroom. I do that and return to bed and sleep really deeply another 2 or 3 hours and have to climb out of that deep darkness and go to the bathroom again. I am a little concerned that I may have a UTI since I am going so much more often, but maybe the IV fluids are still trying to empty out of my system. I have no burning or itching.

      June 2, 2019 at 18:24 | Report abuse |
  17. Brad

    I had an episode of TGA on Feb. 17, starting in mid-afternoon. I spent the evening in the emergency room, repeating myself every few minutes. I "woke up" in a bed at about 2:00 am, so the episode lasted for less than 12 hours total. I had (and still have) no memory of the previous evening. My wife and daughters were with me the whole time, so they were able to describe how I was acting. The few hours before the onset of the attack are fuzzy. All tests were negative. The only symptom I had besides memory loss was high blood pressure during the incident. Looking back, I know that the incident was preceded by two different emotinally stressful incidents, but am unable to identify any physical activity. I probably took a shower. The only clue I have about what I was doing is the last email I sent, at 1:20 pm. All those things are in line with all descriptions I've read, and I'm convinced that (1) TGA is real, and (2) I had it. I'm fine now, as far as I can tell. Followup with a neurologist confirmed the diagnosis. I'm interested enough in this that I created a Web site at http://www.tgasurvivors.com I would love to have some feedback from others with similar experiences.

    March 9, 2011 at 15:35 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Angela O. Hedgepeth

      Brad, when I tried to look at your web site, it warned me not to install anything there.

      June 2, 2019 at 18:30 | Report abuse |
  18. maxie

    Was it TGA? I was doing something strenuous right before it happened. but I knew where I was and how I got there and didn't keep asking questions, but had all the other symptoms of TGA. I didn't know the month, day, recent doctor names, airline reservation dates. I went to the hospital – had all the tests that showed everything was normal. They said they couldn't diagnose ist as a TIA because everything was normal but I had the symptoms. The episode lasted a matter of hours. Then I read about TGA. I had all the symptoms except I knew where I was and how I got there. Are those symptoms ALWAYS present. Was it TGA?

    October 28, 2011 at 00:38 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Joni Wilbertc

    Thank you for some other excellent article. The place else could anybody get that type of information in such a perfect method of writing? I've a presentation next week, and I am at the search for such information.

    July 26, 2012 at 15:07 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Jackie

    I had my first TGA March 2010. Was working from home when recieved upsetting call. After the call I called my neighbor to come over as was crying hard and needed to talk with someone. During our conversation my Neighbor said I stood up and walked back to my office, turned around and asked why she was here. Family took me to Hospital. I had repetative statements until I finally asleep that nighty, I guess. I was hospitalized for 3 days and even on the day of discharge I was very slow to think things through. My first rememberance was on the 3rd day after initial onset.
    After leaving the hospital I had lots of difficulty remembering things and fell into a deep depression. Had to constantly write down things as had difficulty remember was I was told to do and every task seemed so overwhelming. Took 6 wks before could go back to work. My neurologist said I would not have another episode and go home and not worry.
    August 31st 2012 I had my second episode.I had been in the bathroom and had a attack of dry heaves.
    I had walked back to my home office when it began. It lasted only about 40 minutes. My spouse witnesed it. I was at my computer. Said I had difficluty understanding an E-Mail and head felt funny. I don't remember saying any of this. Went to Emergency dept and just before getting there, 40 min, I "woke up" and was giving my spouse directions to the hospital, which were correct. I am able to function and talk during these episodes. This episode was a lot shorter than my first one and I am not having the long lasting memory issues as in my first episode.
    Am so concerned, as is my family, as have no indication that they are about to happen and concerned if happens while driving. Have an appt with Neurologist this week.

    September 3, 2012 at 18:09 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Marcia

      I just had a TGA on 12/8/19, similar to yours. How have you done since your TGA?

      December 11, 2019 at 18:49 | Report abuse |
  21. Terri

    Jackie, my doctor told me that had my TGA occurred while driving that I would know how to drive, just wouldn't remember where I was going. I had my episode the end of July and still don't feel like I am myself 8 weeks later. I still search for the words and find myself thinking about doing something and 20 seconds later not remembering what it was. I am so scared this will happen again. This has made me feel weak and I have never been like that before. It is a struggle every day to hide how I feel from everyone.

    October 4, 2012 at 21:48 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Lorraine

    I had my third TGA attack last week – the previous two were incorrectly diagnosed. In each case my blood pressure was very high lastly 200/100 and was accompanied by some form of dream imaging. I have suffered from migraines/headaches for years and had a very bad migraine before the first attack. I had a few things to do in the morning but eventually lay down, had two paralllel lucid dreams and fireworks with luminous colours in my head. I woke a few hours later with no memory of what I had done in the morning. All tests showed nothing and I the event was written off as a bad migraine attack. The second time I was going out and as I closed my front door I felt very nauseaous and dizzy. That is the last I remember. I got into my car, drove out of gate into an alleyway that leads to the main road and has some trees on the one side. I dreamt that I was hitting trees and that's exactly what I was doing. Fortunately a security guard came down the alley whom I didn't "see"at all, realised there was something wrong and opened the car door and removed the key. I was put on a drip and told I was dehydrated and hadn't had enough breakfast. Last weeks episode happened in the middle of a meeting. However on the way to the meeting I had had flashes of dreams coming into my consciousness – in a very fleeting way. I was taken to a doctor and then hospitalised. I remember odd images but apparently looked totally bewildered, repeated myself and remembered certain facts. It took me a few months to recover from the first episode and after last week I still feel completely flat, very low on energy and also sluggish in my mind. My biggest concern is my vulnerablility – that it could happen again anywhere and at any time.

    October 5, 2012 at 12:23 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Rob C

    I had TGA in Atlantic City in the middle of a clear crisp Monday on our wedding anniversary last November. I lost about 3 hours. I was able to call my wife (who I had left in a casino) 19 times and left the same message “call me when you get this message”. She eventually called and asked “was everything OK” my response was “I don’t know”. My wife instructed me to go to our hotel room and wait for her. At least that is what she said happened. She is an intensive care nurse who gave me a full stroke assessment and then informed me we were going to the Atlantic City Medical Center. There I got the million dollar workup, no pathological issues were discovered. I do now have some very expensive impressive colorful picture or the inside of my head. I have never remembered any of the missing memories from my Boardwalk incident. I was never upset, agitated, or afraid of what had happened that day. I have decided not to call it TGA, I was simply abducted by aliens right off the Atlantic City boardwalk at high noon, and it makes a far more believable story

    August 14, 2013 at 14:54 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Angela O. Hedgepeth

      Rob, I like your sense of humor. It feels something like that–like the stories you read about alien abduction.

      June 2, 2019 at 18:36 | Report abuse |
  24. jan kidneigh

    I had a TGA in January..I had been taking Lipitor. I have had a constant headache on the left back side of my head since. (9 months). It is driving me literally crazy. Any suggestions?????

    October 2, 2013 at 21:43 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Carol

      I experienced a TGA in Sept. I am still having headaches!Whatever did you figure out with your headaches??

      February 26, 2018 at 12:43 | Report abuse |
  25. Joel Ebejer

    I haven't been "diagnosed" with TGA yet, but all these different stories are seemingly close to what I experienced 2 months ago. I'm 20 and I was in Tasmania (Australia), and I was picking up my girlfriend as she was moving over to Adelaide. Then suddenly out of no-where, I was experiencing sluggish speech and couldn't comprehend conversations with people. I then kept repeating the same phrase over and over, which was "When are we leaving for Devonport?" about 5-15 mins apart from each other. I couldn't remember what time we were leaving. For about 3 days, I didn't remember anything. Once I had realized I had an attack, and was attempting to return back to work, my memory was very terrible and I had to note things down to be able to follow through with them. I always feel anxious and on edge after the attack, and my allergies (hayfever) has never been worse. I have this very heavy feeling on my forehead and temples. My speech has suffered a lot, and I struggle to find an appropriate word and usually just resort to using very simple words – very sluggish. Slowly, I feel like I'm getting better, but I thought I would share my experience with memory loss and a possibly TGA attack.

    November 23, 2013 at 03:58 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Molly

      Joel....I have you agree with what you said. Most people are saying it last for hours. Hours? I didn't know where I was for 3 days. After two days in ICU they told me I had trans global amnesia. This happened in 2010 and to this day I can not read a book. (I use to love to read) If I put the book down for a day I have no clue what I read the day before. There are certain words for the life of me I can not remember. I will have to call a family member and say "what is the name of the flower we have planted out back?" Tomorrow I will have no clue what it is. It's like a part of our brain is blocked and I have to believe it always will be.

      April 30, 2014 at 21:44 | Report abuse |
    • Angela O. Hedgepeth

      Joel, my incident was a week or so ago. I have had a bad headache since then–like a band pulled taut around the middle of my head. Also, yesterday, I had a strange sensation like someone strong was pushing down on the top of my head and my knees wanted to give out. I had to push with my legs down against the ground to keep them from giviing out. Then, it was over. The headaches are still there and I am still needing a nap in the afternoon.

      June 2, 2019 at 18:40 | Report abuse |
    • Angela O. Hedgepeth

      Joel, I think allergies–or the congestion from them in my ears and head have something to do with my TGA.

      June 2, 2019 at 18:43 | Report abuse |
  26. Joel Ebejer

    Hey Molly. My TGA episode lasted from September 2013 until about Mid February 2014. I basically started a whole new life again by eating healthily, drinking A LOT more water and quitting cigarettes.

    Fortunately, my episode from september 2013 did get better over time very slowly. Even 10 months after my first TGA episode, I still sometimes feel a bit run down and mentally fatigued than usual. I am able to remember random things and have them pop up into my memory very quickly, think about directions a lot better, and can memorize addresses easily. I would say I am definitely on the road to recovery.

    June 8, 2014 at 07:41 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Angela O. Hedgepeth

      Joel and Molly, I think they mean the total lack of recall (short term memory loss) lasts 6 to 8 hours give or take a couple of hours each way and that doesn't mean that you are 100% better in a snap after that. I think it just means you begin to "come out of it" in that time period.

      June 2, 2019 at 18:48 | Report abuse |
  27. Joe Streno

    I had a TGA episode back in March of 2011. I wrote about it on my personal blog @ go2jo.com. Luckily I've not had an episode since.

    "Danger! Exploding Melon! Or A Day With Transient Global Amnesia"

    July 11, 2014 at 00:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. Penny

    I had my third episode 3 days ago. I hadn't had a TGA in 7 years, and I truly thought it would never happen again. The causes were classic – after sex and having had a colonoscopy 2 days before the incident.
    I am wondering if there are people who have had more than 3 episodes.
    I am also curious if many of the people who have had an episode also have dysnomia (not sure of the spelling) and/or dyslexia.

    August 2, 2014 at 11:42 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Susan

      I have had 3 and have been wondering the same thing.

      November 12, 2017 at 02:40 | Report abuse |
    • Angela O. Hedgepeth

      Penny, I have never been told I had dyslexia, but I do have a problem with reversing numbers and I have to be careful not to pick up words from the line above or below where I am reading.

      June 2, 2019 at 18:50 | Report abuse |
  29. Karen

    While the Neurologist was certain in the diagnosis my very recent TGA, (before the MRI, EEG, and Carotid doppler which I'm yet to have), there was no discussion or words of advice when discharged from hospital the day after the event about what I can expect in the coming days, weeks, or even months.

    Can anyone enlighten me on any physical or emotional aspects that may arise during the recovery period. Thanks.

    September 7, 2014 at 08:59 | Report abuse | Reply
  30. Kay

    I am a healthy 75 year old woman and in July of 2014, I was diagnosed with a hippocampal stroke. Upon further studies the Doctor found that the test results showed no signs of a stroke, but the contrast CT showed a narrowing of the vessel that goes through the hippocampal(memory)area and the diagnosed with a TGA.I lost about 10 hours of memory. I'm taking 10mg.of Lipator daily,but am not very happy with it as it causes leg and foot cramps.Even though my cholesterol is good,this is supposed to be as a preventative. I might discontinue this medication and continue to take a baby aspirin.

    September 23, 2014 at 16:28 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Julie

      Hi Kay, I READ YOUR COMMENT WITH GREAT INTEREST. I have had 2 episodes of trans global amnesia accompanied by severe vomiting. The first was,July 2013 and the second Aug. 2014.. In July 2014 I blacked out while driving and had an accident. I did not vomit. the doctor in the ER said I fell asleep. WRONG. I have been taking 10 mg. of Lipitor for 8 years.
      I have thrown my Lipitor pills away. All of the lab tests,were negative for any abnormalities.

      September 23, 2014 at 16:55 | Report abuse |
    • Angela O. Hedgepeth

      Kay, my doctor told me to take a baby aspirin.

      June 2, 2019 at 18:52 | Report abuse |
  31. Sue

    I had bronchitis in August and one day had a severe coughing spell and had trouble catching my breath. I "came to" in the hospital and heard a nurse telling me that it was August 13. I wasn't sure where I was, and I couldn't imagine that it was August 13. I looked at my husband and asked what had happened to summer. I noticed my toenail polish and thought to myself, that's a pretty color, I wonder when I put that on. I had phone calls from both my kids who live out of state, and don't remember talking to them. Our granddaughter, who I had picked up at the airport the week before, was sitting there, and I had to ask how she had gotten there. I was diagnosed with TGA after many tests. I "remember" bits of that day as if I were remembering bits of a dream. Some memories of the summer have come back, but not all. I was "out" for about seven hours. I still feel strange, and wonder just what I may have said or done at the time. I was transported by ambulance from our local hospital to a medical center in a city near our home. I don't remember anything about the ER or any tests done or the ambulance ride.

    December 6, 2014 at 12:25 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. Jim

    I had an episode Dec 27, 2009 . My first one I thought I missed Christmas . Also I went to a funeral of close coworker the day before . I could not remember going . I was transferred from our local ER to Toledo university hospital.
    I had a second TGA Nov 20, 2014. Almost 5 years latter this one was not as bad. I know people .
    The hardest part the last time was not remembering where my son was at ? He is serving overseas in our military for about a year. I think the people and things we care the most about . Are what sometimes causes us to have TGA's ?

    January 6, 2015 at 21:51 | Report abuse | Reply
  33. Research

    Curious. Did anybody that experienced this have any level of dehydration? IV? What amount and how fast was it absorbed?

    January 8, 2015 at 00:30 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Angela O. Hedgepeth

      I was low in potassium and had some dehydration and was given fluids and potassium by IV. I do not know the amounts. I had been outside gardening and it was hot but not extremely. I had been drinking water all along.

      June 2, 2019 at 18:56 | Report abuse |
  34. Janns

    I believe I was dehydrated when admitted to the ER. I had only coffee that day and had not been working out and drinking my usual 6-8 glasses of water due to the hectic holiday schedule. This was a few days after Christmas. I felt better and was thinking considerably more clearly after the saline IV was given to me. I do not feel this was totally coincidental. I saw my neurologist today who diagnosed me with this.

    January 12, 2015 at 22:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. hannah

    I had TGA in December 20014. I was taken to the doctor by my neighbour ( I phoned her but can't remember that) and from there back home to pack a bag for the hospital of which I cannot remember anything. I was examined by a doctor and when they took me to x-rays for an MRI I sort of came to. I have been taking Lecithin but stopped that now. The doctor advised me to take a cardio disprin for about six months.
    I found it to be an awful experience and was very emotional for about two weeks. Also quite tired.I am 68 and live on my own and hope it will never happen again!

    January 17, 2015 at 06:05 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. Di

    My husband has had a lot TGN (about10 years) as all the test show nothing he is 72 now he doesn't know they are coming on I do few time his BP was up he is on tabs for it I just have to keep an eye on him

    March 7, 2015 at 01:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  37. Janet

    My TGA episode was September of 2013. It lasted 90 minutes. Now, March of 2015, I still have cognitive fuzziness with extreme difficulty of finding words that I know I know. My doctor told me that 90% of TGA patients regain 100% cognitive function and I am frustrated daily that I am in that 10% that don't. I am wondering if there are any support groups for survivors of this. It has affected my personal life and my career. While I know I have IQ test results of 140, I feel more like a 100 most days and have lost so much confidence in who I am as a person. I would appreciate any advice or direction to additional resources.

    March 12, 2015 at 08:38 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Angela O. Hedgepeth

      Janet, while I certainly don't have 140 IQ, I was able to get a Master's Degree in one year with good grades. My TGA was just over a week ago, so I am hoping things will still improve, but it is pretty disturbing to find it so hard to focus and follow through on things and to feel all day like I have just woken up from a deep sleep. I just don't feel like I am as quick at processing events and what I read and that thinking very much seems to tire me out so much.

      June 2, 2019 at 19:02 | Report abuse |
  38. Pat

    I have had two episodes of what I believe is TGA. I was on Lipitor during both episodes and was treated for dehydration after the first episode. I was under a great deal of stress ie recovering from major surgery, coping with defiant teen ager and burying brother. I fell during first episode and incurred a fractured tibia and fibula. My best friend ended our relationship of 50 years because I would not concede to her persistence that I had overdosed on pain medication. I was in a rehab facility when the second incident occurred and the Dr. Said it was because of the pain medication I was receiving. I was offered no explanation when I asked why wouldn't this happen everyday since I was on the same meds. Does anyone know if there is a test that can diagnose TGA?

    March 24, 2015 at 05:03 | Report abuse | Reply
  39. Michael Moye

    I had my first TGA on 9/11/2015. I'm an American expat living in Mozambique and was visiting my hometown & family in NC ,,, under a fair amount of stress due to the impending visit of a friend from Moz ... an hour prior to the TGA event i'd reconnected by phone with an important person in my I'd broken off contact with a year ago...it was a deeply satisfying healing and I strongly suspect the combination of the two may have precipitated what happened: about 7-8 hrs of complete amnesia. I 'woke' in the ER at a major medical center having already had tests – Cat Scan, EKG.. blood pressure was high ...my sister explained that I'd phoned a friend in a state of bewilderment over why I was where i was; he phoned her and she arrived at our brother's house where I was confused as to why I was there, kept repeating the same questions & concerns. She insisted we go to the ER but I apparently had worries over insurance coverage which i expressed in the same language over and over ... I stayed in the ER for 10 hrs, neurologists asked me test question which panicked me at first because i was unsure of the answers .. i gained confidence and answered them reasonably well. The psychiatrist (working with the neuro surgeon) told me he believed I'd suffered a minor TIA (stroke). After a few hours I had the MRI which showed no TIA but did show minor blood seepage.... Chief neuro surgeon told me I had TGA and explained it briefly. Thanks to this forum I've learned much more about it. 30 Hrs after release from hospital I am very tired – feels a lot like jet lag from one of my 16 hrs flights and 6 time zone changes. I've read that it can take 10 days or so to recover from this and I ended up cancellng the 3 wk road trip that was stressing me out. Finding this thread has enlightened me much more than the brief chat with the doctors. If anyone knows of support groups or other resources I'd love to hear about them. I am 65, male, in otherwise good health.

    September 15, 2015 at 11:39 | Report abuse | Reply
    • peggy sheahen

      Had you been on an airplane during the week before your event? My event was Apr. 28. I'd flown from NC to NY on April 22. I'm thinking of aero toxic syndrome.

      July 19, 2017 at 12:46 | Report abuse |
  40. Kathy

    I was diagnosed with a TGA in August. Went with family on a trip to go waterskiing for the day. Remember going there and going to ski but nothing else until I was in hospital 100 miles away, nothing of all the tests done. I eneded up with an intermittent headache since then but it is getting better. I also have high blood pressure now and before this I never had high blood pressure. I am slowly weaning down on the blood pressure medicine as my blood pressure keeps lowering. Did anyone else have this happen after TGA?

    October 6, 2015 at 17:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  41. Renee

    I started coughing,and could not stop. I lost my short term memory for 4 hours. I had all the test, my Dr. said when you cough so hard your brain can't get enough oxygen.

    March 2, 2016 at 18:20 | Report abuse | Reply
  42. Alex

    My girlfriend had TGA, we went to Yosemite, the next morning she complained of being lightheaded and disoriented, and kept repeating the same things She could not recall how we got there, what year it was, thought we were in Santa Cruz, and had to think hard when asked who the president was. The hotel manager thought she had alzheimer's after talking with her a minute. Before she went to the ambulance on the way to a hospital, she had higher blood pressure 180/100, when she normally had low blood pressure. It lasted about 8 hours, then her memory came back in pieces. We thought at first it was a stroke, but there was no indication of anything after all the tests/scans. She was discharged after about 24 hours in the hospital and today a week later, she seems tired a lot, has fuzzy thinking, has to think deliberately while doing anything, and gets really tired after short walks, and needs to sleep a lot. Otherwise everything else seems normal, but her blood pressure, although normal, seems sporadically higher than where it usually was before the event.

    July 3, 2016 at 16:07 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Angela O. Hedgepeth

      Alex, I too have been light headed, having to think "deliberately" as you put it, and in general feel like I have jet lag or been without sleep for days. I am not a napper but have needed one each afternoon. My TGA was on May 25.

      June 2, 2019 at 19:08 | Report abuse |
  43. Shirley

    My TGA occured on Feb. 29 this year. It occured at the end of a workout...not a strenuous one at that. I don't recall putting away any apparatus or going to the change room. I asked my colleague where my locker was and even blurted out a combination number. Reality is that I do not currently have a locker and my clothes are on a chair. I was told that I was repeating myself asking where I worked etc. I knew the time of year was still winter, but I could not say it was leap day or give specific details. Had all the tests at the hospital – EEG, MRI, ECG and my blood pressure was unusually high. All the tests were normal. I have never experienced a typical migrane, but I've heard there are "silent migranes" which seem a plausible diagnosis. Currently I am experiencing very similar symptoms as Alex's girlfriend...fuzzy brain, tired, and just walking takes a lot of thought for me. I hope this improves over time. I want to thank everyone for sharing their TGA experiences.

    July 3, 2016 at 19:34 | Report abuse | Reply
  44. Elizabeth Wilson

    I had a TGA in March. It was preceded by nausea & vomiting and then I knew I felt strange. I remember thinking I was having a stroke. I rang my daughter, although I don't remember doing so and I told her I felt strange. Like others I was repeating same questions over and over again, I was taken to hospital and monitored, stroke was ruled out and I had no memory for over 5 hours. When I came round I was still foggy for a couple of days and it took me over 5 weeks to get back to feeling better. Then in June I had another 'small' episode which only lasted half an hour, but again preceded by nausea & vomiting. I was on statins at the time but have since stopped taking them. I also am on meds for high BP

    July 14, 2016 at 04:03 | Report abuse | Reply
  45. Karen

    Found this site helpful- thank you. I had my first episode of TGA last Sunday. I had got up early morning and fed the next checked on my Son and Nephew before going back to bed for a short while as it was the week end
    Apparently I rose 45 mins later and was repeating myself constantly- asking why met. nephew was over. What day was it
    My Son said I could not retain any answers and had lost memory of the whole week end
    I was like this for several hours and then my awareness came back
    All clinical investigations were normal. My DR says it may never happen again . However I feel very frightened and worried
    Does anyone know the risk of reoccurring episodes? Also I had an emotional event the day before does this have an association? Does anyone have any ideas. To increase safety for oneself and others if this may happen again
    It has been the worst experience of my life but the DR seemed quite confident to do no follow up

    August 17, 2016 at 05:04 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Vicky

      Read what I replied to Ruth. But I left out, I was doing an intense abdominal workout prior....after reading some comments here, I'm SMH thinking if that too could've been the culprit along w the stress and lack of sleep

      October 9, 2016 at 08:30 | Report abuse |
  46. Karen

    Meant to type fed the cat
    See I think I am making small mistakes ?

    August 17, 2016 at 05:05 | Report abuse | Reply
  47. Judy

    I had two TGA episodes two weeks apart. They both occurred after or during strength training. Went to the ER for both episodes where they ran all the tests (CT scan, MRI, EKG, EEG, blood work, etc) to rule out stroke. Test results are all normal. First episode lasted 4 hours and the second one was 6 hours. But after the second episode I have had a constant headache (3months). The neurologist has tried anti seizure meds, blood pressure meds (my BP is normal) and now an antidepressant . But I have no relief. The headache continues to build up during the day, the pressure builds up. The meds prescribed are for migraines, which I did not have before. Had anyone experienced a chronic headache after the TGA's

    September 1, 2016 at 17:55 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Ann

      I had my episode 5 days ago and it is so worrying. I got up, fed the cats, all of which I can remember. After that I showered, drove to the supermarket, met friends outside the shop and had a proper conversation with them, from their I drove 6 miles to the cemetery to put Christmas wreath on my husbands grave. I then rang my daughter and told her that I didn't know what I was doing. She and her husband came to get me and took me back to her house of which I remember nothing. Like everyone else I kept repeating myself over and over again. I ended up in hospital overnight. Had a CT Scan but all clear. All bloods and everything else were clear. Doctors diagnosed a TGA and said most probably never happen again. Have to have a MRI now and see a neurologist. I don't remember anything for around 9 hours and it is so scary. I live on my own and am 65 and still working. I am normally a very positive person full of fun but this has really thrown me off track. I had a fall 3 months ago and hit my head which left me with headaches and vertigo so am wondering if this has something to do with it. I know have fuzzyiness and still have headaches and can't really function properly. I'm afraid of getting in the car at the moment and driving but really need my independence so have to at some stage. I take a BO tablet every day but otherwise fit and healthy. I'm hoping this never happens again.

      December 14, 2016 at 07:07 | Report abuse |
    • Angela O. Hedgepeth

      Judy, the headaches I have had since my TGA a little over a week ago are really concerning me as I am not one to have bad headaches very often and never for days in a row. I also feel sleepy about 3 hours after I get up. I am still feeling sluggish mentally and physically. I wonder if allergies or sinus congestion or ear fluid could have any connection to the TGA's.

      June 2, 2019 at 19:14 | Report abuse |
  48. Judyj

    I have also tried chiropractic adjustments, cupping, massage, Accupuncture with no relief. I am also more forgetful now, as others TGA patients have mentioned. I may forget what I am doing, or someone's name, or what I was going to say to someone. Tired of this headache

    September 1, 2016 at 18:02 | Report abuse | Reply
  49. Marlene Thompsell

    Had my first episode in 2003 and have no memory of driving 3 hours on outback roads. I have had constant episodes since 2007 and been hospitalised 5 times altogether. Episodes seem to happen after overexertion, a lot of bending and planning and sometimes cleaning chemicals are involved. In addition, I have days when I know and remember what I am doing but have no sense of time or people's names. I feel my memory is permanently affected and my short term memory is damaged. I have had all the tests, including MRI, all clear, My local GP has put me on anti anxiety medication which has helped me recognise the start of symptoms ( language confusion as in migranes). I go to bed and have been able to, several times, prevent the TGA developing further. I am 68 years old and didn't start blood pressure and cholesterol medication until after my first episode

    September 25, 2016 at 02:21 | Report abuse | Reply
  50. carecare7

    I have had two TGA episodes a ffew years apart. Each time, I feel very emotional for a few days afterward. This second time I apparently knew I was going into it because I said as much to my son. Also it was shorter. But it was accompanied with terrible tension headaches that have lasted on and off for the past two days (the most recent TGAwas Monday and this is Wednesday). I am also very weepy and cry a lot after they happen. .

    I saw a doctor yesterday and she said I passed all the tests she gave me but is ordering a visit with a local neurologist because this is the second time.

    Anyone else have emotions that overflow afterward?

    September 28, 2016 at 19:51 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Angela O. Hedgepeth

      Yes, carecare 7. I have had suddenly found myself with tears welling up in my eyes and over things that would not have previously made me cry. Had you had any major stresses before your episodes? I had my first a little over a week ago. The winter was very stressful because I had to make a decision to place my Mom in Assisted Living after her being with us for 10 years. She is 92. After she got settled and had begun to accept and even like her Assisted Living place, they told me she needed too much care for that facility and we had to hunt for a new place for her. We found one but the residents there are not very congenial and Mom is lonely. She is adjusting and I thought I was dealing with the stress, but maybe not as well as I thought. At least they say a severe stress can lead to an episode. I too have been a bit more emotional. I guess that is because we feel more vulnerable since it is pretty much impossible to predict when or if we will have such an episode again.

      June 2, 2019 at 19:28 | Report abuse |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

Leave a Reply to hardware store near me


CNN welcomes a lively and courteous discussion as long as you follow the Rules of Conduct set forth in our Terms of Service. Comments are not pre-screened before they post. You agree that anything you post may be used, along with your name and profile picture, in accordance with our Privacy Policy and the license you have granted pursuant to our Terms of Service.

About this blog

Get a behind-the-scenes look at the latest stories from CNN Chief Medical Correspondent, Dr. Sanjay Gupta, Senior Medical Correspondent Elizabeth Cohen and the CNN Medical Unit producers. They'll share news and views on health and medical trends - info that will help you take better care of yourself and the people you love.