home
RSS
How your health care may change
September 22nd, 2010

How your health care may change

Six months ago tomorrow, President Barack Obama signed landmark health care reform legislation. On Thursday, a wave of major changes will take effect. But how will that change your health insurance? Here are eight ways ...

1. If you are an adult under age 26, you will now be covered by your parent or guardian's employer-based health insurance. In some states, this coverage extends until age 28 or 29, CNNMoney reports. Some companies began covering these older dependents as early as May; the Department of Health and Human Services offers more information.

2. If you have a child under age 19 with a pre-existing condition, insurance plans can no longer deny coverage. If you're an adult with a pre-existing condition, you'll have to wait until 2014 - that's when insurance plans can't deny coverage to adults with pre-existing conditions.

3. Insurance companies can no longer drop any customer when that person falls ill. Insurers can't search out an error on your insurance application and then not pay for a service when you get sick.

4. Preventative services such as vaccinations, mammograms and colonoscopies must be covered under new plans; customers should not have to pay any deductible, co-pay or coinsurance on them. But if you keep your existing plans, or have a group plan that doesn't substantially change, this won't affect you.

5. Also, you won't have any dollar limit over the course of a lifetime on hospital stays or other essential benefits, according to the changes that take effect Thursday.

6. You may have more freedom in choosing a doctor: Pediatricians and obstetrician-gynecologists must be allowed to have primary care physician status, so you won't need a referral or prior authorization for those practitioners.

7. The appeals process for claims will be more accommodating for patients. Until the issue is settled, the insurer must keep paying your claims and subsequent treatment.

8. Going to the hospital for an emergency may be easier, too, as insurance companies can't make co-payments or co-insurance more expensive for out-of-network ER providers. They must also remove prior authorization for ER services.

Here's one that's already in effect: If you are a senior citizen, you will get a one-time rebate of $250, tax free, if you have Medicare prescription drug coverage and fall in the "doughnut hole." As of August 2010, 1 million rebate checks were sent, according to the White House's website.

To commemorate the six-month anniversary of the law, President Obama will travel to the home of a person with a chronic ailment who is benefiting from the provision about lifetime coverage limits, according senior administration officials.

The White House's website has more information on health reform in specific states. The organization Getting Covered is hosting events in several states to help inform people of what the changes mean. Here are more resources if you are uninsured.

Check out these stories of real people and how their health care may change. Tomorrow's Empowered Patient will provide more information about the changes that take effect Thursday.

Parija Kavilanz and Sabriya Rice contributed to this report.

1. Robert Hahn

Reading this article, one would conclude that these changes either don't cost any money, or that they will be paid for by generous gifts from space aliens. There is not a word here about insurance premium increases or tax increases... Only "free wonderfulness" from the government. I don't think voters are this stupid. People understand that more benefits will cost more money. The politicians and the journalists would like us to believe that the money will be taken from the proverbial "guy behind the tree," but experience tells us that the costs will hit us one way or the other. As they must, for there is no free lunch.

September 22, 2010 at 10:15 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Chris

Nothing free and that's not the point. By spreading the risk to all, the cost to the individual is lower. Furthermore, insisiting on preventive care saves money in the lon run.

Companies are there to make profit. Corporations have no soul. Therefore, it is essential that government representing the poeple ensures that these guys don't go Wall Street on the people they are supposed to insure.

Read the facts and think beyond money. This is a moral issue and I will not allow my health to become subject to the arbitrary whims of some accountant or lawyer in a backoffice of some health insurance corporation.

September 22, 2010 at 10:24 | Report abuse |
    • taxed more

Robert, I agree 100% except about the part that people are not that stupid. Since the start of the "war on poverty" we have spent 13 Trillion dollars on "means tested" government giveaway programs. We have more in poverty now than then. This same principle will be applied to health care. Medicaid was one of the original means tested programs, look how that has grown and will grow faster in the future. This is another step toward China owning the whole country. A friend of mine always refers to the "stupid American taxpayer" who will pay for anything. So far I think he is correct.

September 22, 2010 at 10:32 | Report abuse |
    • Bob

Problem is that their is no encouragement to take care of oneself beyond normal common sense which most people don't have. I still have to pay so may as well have another burger.

September 22, 2010 at 10:32 | Report abuse |
    • Nick

Unitl, God forbid, something tragic happens and your insurance carrier tells you they wont pay any more of your bills because you hit your coverage limit. I bet you would like this bill if your situtation changed and I am paying increased premiums to keep you breathing.

September 22, 2010 at 10:35 | Report abuse |
    • brian

yes voters are that stupid. I learned that what obama is promissing isnt possible in econ 101.

September 22, 2010 at 10:41 | Report abuse |
    • Lee Oates

In Canada the average cost of health care, without any restrictions at all in services, is less than $100.00 a month and paying for government insurance. No Medical Insurance Cartels manipulating costs for their profit, no bills to you individually, and excellent care. The cost to the average Canadian is a fraction of what it is for Americans. You can never to denied medical care.

September 22, 2010 at 11:02 | Report abuse |
    • Lia

insurance companies should pay!

September 22, 2010 at 11:59 | Report abuse |
    • news corp.

the Japanese have the 2nd largest economy and free health care,
      so you think they are smarter than we are?

September 22, 2010 at 12:48 | Report abuse |
    • meltemi

Chris: "By spreading the risk to all, the cost to the individual is lower..." Pure BS... here in MA, the so called "model" for obama care, our rates have gone up 70% over the past three years. SEVENTY. No exageration. This is what the rest of the country has to look forward to.

September 22, 2010 at 13:19 | Report abuse |
    • Amanda

Chris – As a health insurance agent with 10 years experience,I can tell you that you are correct.

"By spreading the risk to all, the cost to the individual is lower."

However if you read in the reform bill there is only one punishment for not having insurance and that is a tax. Do you think people will pay $300+ a month for insurance or a small (much less than $300 x 12 months) fine at the end of the year for not having it. AND if you pay the tax they wont even send the IRS after you, its written into the law.

The concept of insurance is enough money has to be coming in from the healthy to pay for the sick. With no pre-existing condition limits there is no reason for me to have coverage until the day my doctor tells me I have cancer. With backwards rules like this in place there will not be enough money coming in from healthy individuals to cover the unlimited expenses of the sick.

On a side note, I can't speak to the souls of corporations but I can tell you one of the biggest cost problems we have is the big mean corporations paying big mean lawyers to interpret the convoluted insurance laws that vary by a HUGE amount state to state.

September 22, 2010 at 17:59 | Report abuse |
    • Trelation

@ Lee Oates. Do you live in Canada? I did. The heathcare is terrible. Yes, you can't be denied, but you can wait months to receive proper treatment. When I was a teenager, I had terrible migraines, I waited 6 months for a CT scan. What would have happen had it been something serious? My grandfather layed in a hospital bed for a week in a HALLWAY after they removed a kidney. If the number of $100/month is correct, then it would still be $400/month for an average family. I'd rather pay that to a private insurance company than to the government for a socialized heathcare system. Besides, if you think that every Canadian gets equal healthcare, you're wrong, if you pay up you can get better service.

September 24, 2010 at 07:00 | Report abuse |
    • Larry

"Reading this article, one would conclude that these changes either don't cost any money, or that they will be paid for by generous gifts from space aliens."

Why would one conclude anything since the issue of cost isn't addressed? You can't "conclude" anything if there is no basis for a conclusion.

September 26, 2010 at 03:49 | Report abuse |
    • Tracy

I work for a non-profit in the HR department, and for the past 3 years, (08,09,10 reknewals) our medical insurance increased by a minimum of 20% each year. In order to keep the cost managable for the company and the employee, we increased deductables and c-pays, and for 2010 we switched to a new provider. We are now contemplating moving away from HMO and PPO's, in an effort to keep our staff on medical insurance...I think the changes will help everyone in the long run, but yes there will likely be increased cost to some, but overall, I do believe the changes being made are necessary.

October 2, 2010 at 20:02 | Report abuse |
  2. BL

Thank you President Obama for taking up this fight. It is about time somebody looks out for the common man and not the all might dollar.

September 22, 2010 at 10:19 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Wake up

John F,

Who do you think will pay these new benefits? You will dummy! If you think the men that run the insurance companies are giving up their private plane and Rolls Royce you are wrong, they just pass the cost along to us. In a few years we may not be able to afford the higher premiums, then what? Hello, government run health care...

September 22, 2010 at 10:45 | Report abuse |
    • meltemi

Reminds me of that scene from Animal House... "thank you master may I please have another"

September 22, 2010 at 13:35 | Report abuse |
  3. Eric

Robert – Overall medical costs will go down. There are a lot of people who avoid going to the doctor today because they can't afford it or don't have insurance. When they end up in the emergency room, where it costs thousands of dollars more, they often don't pay. Then you and I pay for it. I'd rather pay for the $150 visit today than the $5000 visit tomorrow. In a very short term some costs will go up and the deficit for this will increase, but in the long term (a few short years) costs will go down. Its simple macroeconomics. Anything that encourages people to towards preventative care will save money.

September 22, 2010 at 10:22 | Report abuse | Reply
    • taxed more

What's not to know? 31 million people are going to get another freebie and the 51% of Americans who actually have to pay income taxes are going to be taking it in the butt again. Simple enough.

September 22, 2010 at 10:25 | Report abuse |
    • katincal

Eric – I'd rather not pay for any of their medical expenses. I work hard to support myself and my son. I only want to pay for myself – not a bunch of freeloaders.

September 22, 2010 at 10:25 | Report abuse |
    • David

You may correct – Overall Healthcare expenditure may go down. Yet, I think the concern of most people already paying for health insurance (the large portion of workers who pay pay for most programs and expenses in this country) is that they will see significant individual Healthcare cost increases. Everything cost money and it is the person currently paying the bills that will pay the costs of this one. Sooner or later this group will reach the upper limit of its ability to pay.

September 22, 2010 at 10:40 | Report abuse |
    • kody

Over all costs will go down for the people who don't work but costs will go up for the hard working, the educated, and the people willing to make america a better place. Right now America has the best healthcare but this will change every lazy slob and people not willing to work for a living will be covered by healthcare provided by those who do work and when everyone gets health care nobody does. Who should have the right to healthcare? the hard working thats who not the bums!

September 22, 2010 at 11:11 | Report abuse |
    • Myles F

Out of 31 million freeloaders theres not 1 that deserves quality of life coverage? Because others take advantage of the system he should suffer? There are people out there that do whats right, fallow the rules and still get denied. Im sure theres even more then that, what if those are your loved ones and you have to cover the 30k+ tab. Freeloaders are freeloaders, its what they do, its who they are. Your not going to change them. Why make the good people suffer so those who decive are punished. Thats like saying God would kill every one just to make sure all the wicked people are punished. Wait, bad example. This is the first system to help cover everyone. Start with that, work the cost down to managable levels.

September 22, 2010 at 11:20 | Report abuse |
    • MGS

Hey koby- America does NOT have the best health care system in the world. Look up infant mortality rates and life expectancy to get even a slight clue.

September 26, 2010 at 17:31 | Report abuse |
  4. John Hendrix

One of these needs to go in everyones mailbox

September 22, 2010 at 10:22 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. taxed more

I am paying $650 per month for a policy with a $5000 deductable. I am also being taxed to pay for the Medicaid crowd and the all fine folks who show up in the ER expecting treatment that will be paid for by my taxes. Soon I will be contributing to the health insurance of another 31 million people who want a free ride. I am early 60's, unemployed and not rich. I have always carried my own weight in society by working hard, saving and making responsible decisions. When are people like me going to get a break?

September 22, 2010 at 10:23 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mike

taxed more-

You should note that while medical expenses in America are covered roughly 50% private insurance and 50% government, the insurance companies post profits nearly on par with oil companies. United Health Care made $3.82b in net profits for 2009 while the premiums of those covered skyrocketed. Caremark's CEO raised premiums 40% on members then jumped ship with a $72m retirement bonus. This is all while only 33% of your premiums actually go to health services while the rest goes to paperwork/advertising/CEO bank accounts. We have the lowest taxes of any major industrialized nation, yet we also get the least out of it. We pay the most for health care, but we rank substandard for industrialized nations. If our fantastic government would have looked to the health care systems in other industrialized nations we'd be much better off. Even Taiwan has better health care on average than we do.

September 22, 2010 at 10:40 | Report abuse |
    • David

Mike:

If you own a have a retirement plan, IRA or just a mutual fund. You are receiving part of the profits from the insurance companies, oil companies and other companies in this country. You are at fault for the problem, unless you are an individual who invests (directly or indirectly) in companies that do not make a profit. When picking investments, most people want to invest in companies that make big profits. We can not have our cake and eat it too.

September 22, 2010 at 10:45 | Report abuse |
    • ETM

Are you going to be enjoying Medicare on my taxes? Or are you refusing it?

September 22, 2010 at 10:46 | Report abuse |
    • Kraznodar

People like you have already had your chance. Now it is our turn. If your generation hadn't screwed us for the last few decades maybe we would value your opinion. I don't like the Obama plan but it is better than the absolute nothing that has come before it.

September 22, 2010 at 14:07 | Report abuse |
    • Scooby

Whaaaaaa!!!!

September 23, 2010 at 17:40 | Report abuse |
  6. katincal

Just waiting for the bill. Haven't heard what my new insurance premiums are going to be, but I am not hopeful they will stay the same. As a matter of fact I'm pretty sure they will go up substantially. There is a price for this change.

September 22, 2010 at 10:24 | Report abuse | Reply
    • David

I am responsible for acquiring the health insurance for my small company. Our cost will go up 12.5% 10/1/10 (midyear increase due to changes in US Law). We were also told to prepare for another increase at the beginning of our next benefit year.

September 22, 2010 at 10:50 | Report abuse |
    • Kraznodar

I am gladly paying the gargantuan premium increase because my son can be covered for an additional 3 to 5 years. I also find it barbaric that anyone is denied health care just so some rich dirtbag can get richer. I don't like the welfare system we have either. We should have a guaranteed job program and barracks housing for those that can't support themselves. They want to eat they can work to earn it. Can't feed your kids – get sterilized if you want govt. help.

September 22, 2010 at 14:13 | Report abuse |
    • Scooby

Are you living in the dark? My premiums have gone up EVERY year since I can remember w/ less coverage provided.
      Are you going to attribute your next increase to Obama who has been in office less than 2 years?

September 23, 2010 at 17:44 | Report abuse |
  7. Mak

Rob, but even under current plan we have seen insurance premium going up and up. Even under old plan, companies would have kept rising premiums no matter what (even though more enrollments should bring some costs down) citing the increased cost of healthcare. At least what will happen now is that the subscriber will be entitled to get more benefits even after paying some higher costs. Isn't it a fair deal then for subscribers?

September 22, 2010 at 10:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. CN

I work in MA and they enacted similar health care changes and now my employer is only offering a high deductable insurance plan. This means the first $5000.00 of medical coverage I need to pay out of my own pocket while still paying the insurance premium out of my pay check. I see many other employers will go this route as well to reduce their costs. So I say thanks to Obama as well for taking more cash out of my pocket and distributing it to others.

September 22, 2010 at 10:28 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Nick

September 22, 2010 at 10:34 | Report abuse |
    • Shawn

President Obama is not doing that to you, the greedy insurance companies are. The changes are expected to raise cost 1 to 2 percent. Everything else is just your insurance companies raising rates like they do every year for more profit.

September 22, 2010 at 10:37 | Report abuse |
    • Lee Oates

The Medical Insurance Cartels will do everything they can to raise your costs and then make you believe that it is all President Obama's fault. Quit being sucked in by the insurance companies. In a civilized country medical care is a right of all, not just the rich. The US is primitive when it comes to medical delivery.

September 22, 2010 at 11:08 | Report abuse |
    • Kraznodar

CN – It is called a health savings account. You get to save money tax free and you get interest on it. Stop whining and learn how to work the system.

September 22, 2010 at 14:16 | Report abuse |
  9. Ben L.

What goes into effect today is good in my opinion. You can no longer be rejected for pre-existing conditions, you can no longer be rejected for messing up on a form, etc. BUT what should have been put into this bill was 100 percent competition for all insurance carriers in all states. We claim free enterprize and are a capitalistic nation so let ALL carriers compete. That will help keep costs down. My premiums have gone up 19 percent since the bill was passed but I blame that on carriers raping and pilaging before 2014 gets here. Pres. Obama gets some things right but Congress screws up the rest.

September 22, 2010 at 10:28 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Nick

I want to offer a sincere THANK YOU to everyone who helped get this passed. My employer sponsored plan increased by a few dollars per pay check this month, but personally I am happy to pay a few extra dollars each month to make sure:

1) "If you have a child under age 19 with a pre-existing condition, insurance plans can no longer deny coverage."
    2) “You won't have any dollar limit over the course of a lifetime on hospital stays or other essential benefits, according to the changes that take effect Thursday.”

Common sense says this stuff should have already been law. I am not 100% versed on the bill but so far so good. Thanks Obama for finally having the stones to get this accomplished! Keep it up!

September 22, 2010 at 10:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Lee Oates

I could never understand why the US rejects a medical system like Canada. Medical care is an accepted everyday event that serves everyone equally, without disasterous bills destroying families and driving them into bankrupcy. Your never turned away for any reason, get excellant care, and its always there. The US made a huge mistake when they failed to back President Obama's attempt to bring in a decent system. The US system is a total disaster, and completely controled by the Medical Insurance Cartels for their profit, not your benefit.

September 22, 2010 at 10:32 | Report abuse | Reply
    • fuyuko

The countries where socialized medicine works have far denser populations. I am not optimistic it can work for a population as large and growing as the US's without significant cost to everyone.

September 22, 2010 at 14:16 | Report abuse |
    • fuyuko

I meant less dense.

September 22, 2010 at 14:17 | Report abuse |
    • Kraznodar

Oddly enough there is an increasing flow of Americans into Canada as either guest workers or citizenship applicants. All 3 of the ex-Americans I know said that they hate the taxes but love the health care.

September 22, 2010 at 14:19 | Report abuse |
    • fuyuko

Canada has fewer people and is more laid back in general. Unfortunately, it has far fewer people, and a less dense population.

September 22, 2010 at 14:27 | Report abuse |
    • Lee Oates

Fuyuko, that is a ridiculous conclusion. Size has nothing to do with it. I am sure that the US is intelligent enough to make it work if they have the motivation to do so.

September 22, 2010 at 17:54 | Report abuse |
  12. Rena

I know many people don't support the health care bill, but let me give you another side of the story. I know of many people who have premium cable, designer clothes, frequent shopping trips and beauty appointments, etc... and don't have healthcare, When they or their child gets sick, they go to the emergency room at the County hospital and don't have to pay the bill. We do. The required health care coverage in this bill was written for the millions of Americans that do this. Not for those of us who are responsible enough to forgo a Lexus for health coverage. Our costs are so high because we are being charged for their negligence. I understand not wanting to be TOLD to do anything, but how else do you -realistically – fix this problem?

September 22, 2010 at 10:34 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. John F

Thank you Mr. Obama, for trying to bring this country to the same quality of health care that every civilized country already have.

September 22, 2010 at 10:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. mensaman

You failed to mention how costs will skyrocket and threaten the financial wellbeing of future generations. Yes, these benefits are nice, but they do have a cost. You told us about how neat the high of the heroin is, now talk about the hell of the addiction MR. Drug Pusher.

September 22, 2010 at 10:37 | Report abuse | Reply
    • ETM

The costs have been skyrocketing for years. That is one big reason we needed this legislation.

September 22, 2010 at 10:48 | Report abuse |
    • Shawn

If your health insurer raises your rates more than 1 or 2 percent and blames it on the bill, then they are lying to you. They know how easy it is to fool angry people.

September 22, 2010 at 11:03 | Report abuse |
    • David

Shawn:

If your insurer blames the bill for a 1-2% increase they are lying. Realistically, increase with not coverage changes will by 10-20% depending on the number of insured in your group rating cohort and the additional cost ratings necessary to cover previously excluded conditions. These are simple actuarial calculations (which by the way are very difficult to perform).

September 22, 2010 at 11:12 | Report abuse |
    • Kraznodar

While I view congress as a step lower than a drug pusher, I don't think there has been any dishonesty about the cost. That is why a lot of people are being forced to buy insurance – to spread the cost around.

September 22, 2010 at 14:24 | Report abuse |
    • KC

The cost of my insurance premium has quadrupled in the past 10 years, and what it covers has shrunk to zero. Things that used to be covered are now being rejected. After a doctor ordered a screening test based on my family history - a test that was negative - the insurance company single-handedly changed my policy from a $1000 deductible PPO to a $3500 deductible that covers hospitalization only (while still charging me the much-higher premiums for the PPO1000). Until HCR, there wasn't a thing I could do about it. Now they have to give back all the things they took away, because it'll be illegal to sell a policy as limited as the one they currently have me on. I will, once again, be getting what I pay for. Till now, I've been reluctant to argue with them, for fear they'd cut off my insurance completely; I have a pre-existing condition and if they do that, I can't get another policy until the "no pre-existing condition exclusions" law goes into effect in 2014.

September 22, 2010 at 14:37 | Report abuse |
  15. PhnxRay

Get ready America to BOHICA (Bend Over Here It Comes Again).
    When your insurance renewal comes around later this year, get ready to pay substantially increased premiums.
    Chris above says, "Think Beyond Money".....How about you paying for my increased premiums?. ..Now come on, Think Beyond Money....it will make you feel good to pay my premium, won't it?

September 22, 2010 at 10:37 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Lee Oates

Its the Medical Insurance companies that are sticking it to you, not the government. You can blame noone but yourselves for being greedy and non-caring towards the needs of other Americans. You reap what you sow.

September 22, 2010 at 10:44 | Report abuse |
    • ETM

It is the insurance industry that is screwing you. Thanks to Obama, now you don't have to bend over anymore!

September 22, 2010 at 10:49 | Report abuse |
    • Shawn

You should be angry at the insurance companies, not the government. Are you really fooled so easily into sticking up for the greedy over the needy.

September 22, 2010 at 11:07 | Report abuse |
    • Kraznodar

Very few people are harmed by this. I wonder just what you do for a living. Are you a rich insurance company CEO?

September 22, 2010 at 14:25 | Report abuse |
    • KC

My insurance premiums have skyrocketed every year for the past 10 years. Up another 15% this year, even before HCR passed (and I considered myself fortunate, because the local media was reporting increases up to 39%). The price of insurance has NOTHING to do with the legislation. The insurance companies know they have us over a barrel, especially the half of the population who has some pre-existing condition (diabetes, asthma, over 50, overweight, being of childbearing age) that makes it difficult, if not impossible, for them to get other insurance. For people like me, this legislation is a blessing, because it means that the insurance company can no longer play the games they've played for decades; they MUST cover certain items, they CANNOT threaten to cancel my insurance, the premiums can no longer exceed a third of my earnings.....

September 22, 2010 at 15:04 | Report abuse |
  16. lee

My son was diagnosed with ADHD 4 years of age, when I lost my job he was no longer insurable because of a "pre-exsisting condition. I paid for all cost for the next 14 years. When he turned 18 I finally was able to obtain insurance from a large group insurance last October, the cost was $99.00 a month. I felt very fortunate to finally have insurance for him during his college years. Last month we recieved a letter from the insurance company that due to the new changes to the NEW insurance requirements his payment would be going up $24.00 a month. I still feel fortunate to have him insursured but I "hope" that will be the only increase. I can not put him on my insurance because I am on SSD and that does not cover to age 26 or for that matter a child of any age.

September 22, 2010 at 10:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Christine

As a hardworking married mother, I have lived with absolutely no insurance where my primary health care was the ER (as a child and teenager), to having great insurance but still facing concern every time I had to go to the doctor about the costs I would incur; I also have a child with special needs and a heart condition, a child who's condition would be considered pre-existing to any other insurance company-I commend President Obama for what he's done, and I am more than happy to pay a little bit more to help those out there not as fortunate am I am. Heathcare, good, quality healthcare should be a right for all. I look forward to the day where we this country can embrace universal healthcare for all-regardless of economic means. We as a country are behind compared to other countries in this aspect. Healthcare should not be looked at as a business-patients are people, not a number!

September 22, 2010 at 10:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. cleat

Yep great deal for all!!! Our company just announced we are gettting much less coverage next year, and cost is going UP 14% more. Wow- Obummer PROMISE cost would go down- PROMISED.
    This BS "free" healthcare is a bunch of crap. Where do you think insureres are going to get the extra money needed to pay for 31 million new, non- paying "clients"...from us- the working class. Teh $$ obummer pledged to this will do NOTHING to cover health costs- just admin costs- he knows the insurance companies will raise their rates to cover those being dumped on.

September 22, 2010 at 10:41 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Lee Oates

Maybe you should quit supporting an outdated, costly system, that is designed to drain you dry and provide as little services as possible, the Medical Insurance Cartels. Start thinking of the Nation as a whole, not simply yourself.

September 22, 2010 at 10:48 | Report abuse |
    • David

My new favorite phrase –

September 22, 2010 at 10:52 | Report abuse |
    • cleat

I will GLADLY think of the nation...when the nation wakes up and figures out that you have to WORK for what you get. we have way too many people who dont even try to work or provide ANY benifit to the US or its collective. All I see now is people saying "where is MY stuff, money, benifits, etc etc...The country OWES me this..."

September 22, 2010 at 10:55 | Report abuse |
    • ETM

Your argument is both morally offensive and stupid. We already pay for the millions of uninsured people who must use the emergency room for routine medical care. Or would you just let them be sick and maybe die without treatment?

September 22, 2010 at 11:01 | Report abuse |
    • Jane

Interesting...people actually believe the uninsured have not been receiving free health care all along?!!!!!! Many emergency rooms cannot turn away uninsured (and undocumented) patients in need of care, and the use and abuse of ER's as primary care services has cost this country millions!

September 22, 2010 at 11:04 | Report abuse |
    • Shawn

You must be stupid, stupid, stupid. If your insurance rate is going up 14% it is not because of the health insurance reform. That should only account for 1 to 2 % and will be offset by adding more people to the system in 2014. Your insurance is already expensive because that is where you are already paying for people's free heatlh care at the ER. Educate yourself and don't tow the line for the big insurance companies that only see you as a dollar sign.

September 22, 2010 at 11:15 | Report abuse |
    • KC

It is NOT "31 million non-paying clients" - it's 31 million people who have previously been unable to find insurance companies willing to cover them. A friend of mine had 2 different employers, over the past 5 or 6 years, try every possible way to get insurance for him, but because of his age and pre-existing conditions, they were turned down by every insurance company that operates in our state. Those employers were willing to pay whatever it cost to get him insured, but no one was willing to sell to him. The problem is that most people are employed by small businesses, which are individually underwritten, and employees with pre-existing conditions can be denied insurance. Unfortunately, the career he works in is almost exclusively the province of small businesses, so he could not get a job with a big corporation with a group policy.

September 22, 2010 at 15:13 | Report abuse |
  19. Cara

I am glad something i being done with health care cause it should be a basic right that every one deserves. I am also glad that i can stay on my parents plan for longer cause i am a graduate student and the health plan that my school provides me is super expensive and it doesn't cover anything.

September 22, 2010 at 10:44 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. ETM

Thank you, President Obama and Democrats, for passing this. All people have a right to decent medical care and this bill will cover almost all Americans now uninsured. As for costs, we already pay for the current inefficient system in which uninsured people overwhelm emergency rooms, and this bill will actually reduce such costs with better preventive treatment.
    At least the US has joined the rest of the civilized world.

September 22, 2010 at 10:44 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Lee Oates

Its a start in the right direction, unless of course the Republicans get back in and reverse the whole program in favour of their rich friends (the Medical Insurance Cartels).

September 22, 2010 at 10:53 | Report abuse |
    • cleat

your right- there are no greedy, rich demorats...

September 22, 2010 at 11:00 | Report abuse |
    • David

September 22, 2010 at 11:01 | Report abuse |
    • Lee Oates

David: You keep making a number of really stuped statements...."Providing more services to more people has to cost those paying the bills more individually." Canada, and other similiar countries have proven that completely wrong. If everyone contributes modestely, all cost go down. You and Cleat sound very much like Medical Insurance people trying to defend the outragous cost for Medical care that they are directly responsible for.

September 22, 2010 at 11:43 | Report abuse |
    • KC

Amen, ETM! A few months ago, an unemployed friend (no job, therefore no insurance) took me to a private Urgent Care; I was seen quickly and the bill was only $100. A few days later, he needed to get some antibiotics for a recurrent infection and went back to the same Urgent Care. They refused to see him because he had no insurance. He went to the ER (minimum bill about $1500), which is mandated by law to treat every patient who walks in. And since he had no insurance, you, me, and every other taxpayer picked up the bill, which was 15 or 20 times higher than it needed to be because his only treatment option was the expensive ER. Just the savings on things like that will go a long way toward paying for the legislation.

September 22, 2010 at 15:25 | Report abuse |
  21. Carter

Most of the items above will be decreasing health insurance corporations' exorbitant profits. How dare Obama make healthcare CEOs wait an extra month before upgrading to the 12-seater Learjet!

September 22, 2010 at 10:49 | Report abuse | Reply
    • David

Maybe they could barrow the C-32 plane, a luxurious and specially configured version of the Boeing 757-200 commercial intercontinental airliner, used to transport the Speaker of the House of Representatives. It seats about 50.

September 22, 2010 at 10:57 | Report abuse |

LOL dave 🙂

September 22, 2010 at 11:00 | Report abuse |
  22. Richard Harvey

I went to my doctor this week for a preventative skin cancer screen. Normally I recieve in office treatment consisting of spraying liquid nitrogen on problem areas. He informed me that he could no longer do the treatment in his office under the new health care laws and that I would be refered to a Dermatologist. The first appointment I could get with the specialist is over one month away (as my pre cancer leasions grow larger!!). My doctor also informed me that I would now have to pay a surgical co-pay (600.00USD) for the 15 second treatment in addition to my normal Specialist Co-pay and deductable. How is this new program helping Me????

September 22, 2010 at 10:54 | Report abuse | Reply
    • ETM

Your doctor is a liar or you are. The new law has not even taken effect yet.

September 22, 2010 at 10:57 | Report abuse |
    • LMS

The kind of lesions you have are basal cell carcinomas and they grow so slowly you could not go to the doctor for 4 years and they wouldn't do anything other than get a little bigger. They do not invade other tissues or organs. Waiting for one month isn't going to matter one bit. I have the same thing and I work in the industry.

In regards to your deductible, blame your insurance company, not the President or Congress. They are the bloodsuckers, remember? If you have to pay some sort of deductible now, then they have done the dirty dealings of trying to make their money in other ways now that some of their tricks have been stopped. I agree with other comments, your doctor is not being truthful since the actual law has not taken effect; any changes to your plan were by your insurance company.

September 22, 2010 at 11:09 | Report abuse |
    • Lee Oates

Understand that the Medical Insurance system and the Medical profession in the states are going to do everything they can to undermine President Obama's program to stop the the unbelievable greed in American medicine.

September 22, 2010 at 11:15 | Report abuse |
    • cleat

maybe because the "medical profession" went to school for 10 years and paid 500k for their required degree...maybe. juuuust maybe, they would like a little more than your average burger flipper to pay the bills and compensate for their dedication...

September 22, 2010 at 11:24 | Report abuse |
  23. Jane

We just received our annual insurance renewal forms. Our current coverage changed in accord with the new law, but our annual premiums were unaffected. In fact, net-net, the new reguilations concerning preventive care will save us well over $1,000.00 out-of-pocket annually: previously these procedures were factored into our annual deductibles or not covered at all under out PPO plan. Our co-pay for brand name prescriptions increased slightly (about 8%). So, all this supposition and argument concerning an increase in premiums and inflated costs falls flat in my case. Further, I suspect my experience is not unique.

September 22, 2010 at 10:57 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. cleat

join the group Rich- my covered allergy shots are now not covered- will have a $20 co pay ever time...plus our pre-tax FSA is goign to be reduced to $2500 (thanks obama). and wont cover OTC drugs. Wow great help to us people with insurance I pay thousands per year for...

September 22, 2010 at 10:59 | Report abuse | Reply
    • ETM

Yes, I will now have a reduced FSA too. So what? I would rather pay a little more than have 30 million of my fellow citizens uninsured. How about a little concern for our society as a whole instead of ME, ME, ME!

September 22, 2010 at 11:04 | Report abuse |
    • cleat

Oh, thats right...the FSA was not MY money that I chose to put in there from my salary......its the collectives to doll out as it sees fit...

September 22, 2010 at 11:10 | Report abuse |
    • ETM

cleat, maybe you don't want to pay for defense, police, fire protection, roads, or anything else. Fine. Go live on an island. Decent health care for all is part of the general welfare.

September 22, 2010 at 11:17 | Report abuse |
    • Kraznodar

Well cleat, since this is how you seem to think; Old people have more health care needs than young people so if all of the old people die they won't use up so much money and premiums can go down. I'm sure a selfish, greedy guy like you can figure out what this means.

September 22, 2010 at 14:38 | Report abuse |
  25. me

the down fall of america. that's when all the finger pointing will begin. sad.

September 22, 2010 at 10:59 | Report abuse | Reply
    • David

The down fall of America will happen when the capacity of the relatively small grop of working American to pay the bills of the Country is reached and capacity of the Federal Government to barrow money is reached. Unfortunately I think both we will reach both capacities in my short lifetime, unless some dramatic changes are made quickly.

September 22, 2010 at 11:18 | Report abuse |
    • Lee Oates

David, the down fall of America will be avoided when people quit listening to people like you.

September 22, 2010 at 11:59 | Report abuse |
    • Kraznodar

The finger pointing has gone on as long as there have been fingers. As for America's downfall, you and Nostradamus are both wrong.

September 22, 2010 at 14:41 | Report abuse |
  26. LMS

Those of you crying about increased cost to "pay for everybody else" need to stop your whining. How selfish are you?? Can you not think of helping someone else when they are down and out for whatever reason and stop worrying that you can't buy something for yourselves? You may be in "their" shoes one day... all it takes is one catastrophic illness. What goes around comes around... all of your selfish behavior will catch up with you one day. If everyone was a little more giving, it would make the world a better place.

September 22, 2010 at 11:00 | Report abuse | Reply
    • cleat

dude- I can only "give" so much.....
      I would be more than willing to pay for my share- I do and more...I jsut cant give anymore!!!

September 22, 2010 at 11:02 | Report abuse |
    • David

Again,

Providing more services to more people has to cost those paying the bills more individually. The group of average workers paying the bills has a limited capacity to pay, once we reach that limit the ballgame is over.

September 22, 2010 at 11:05 | Report abuse |
    • ETM

Exactly. And as I have been saying, we already pay for uninsured people with Medicaid and in emergency rooms. The health care bill will substantially reduce those costs.

September 22, 2010 at 11:09 | Report abuse |
  27. Chuck

It's no wander that America is in a mess. Look at the comments: poor subject-verb agreement, poor syntax, poor spelling, improper use of articles. We're an ignorant nation that can't write or speak it's own language.

September 22, 2010 at 11:08 | Report abuse | Reply
    • ETM

By the way, Chuck, it should be "its own language." You used the contraction of "it is." And "own" is redundant.

September 22, 2010 at 11:12 | Report abuse |

"wander"?

September 22, 2010 at 11:14 | Report abuse |

No one likes a grammar Nazi. ....but it is sooooo fun to be one! 🙂

September 22, 2010 at 14:43 | Report abuse |
  28. cleat

OK- does this wonderful, super dooper program from your president include the DISOLVING of medicare, medicaid? How about the dozen or more state programs for those without healthcare? They are all bloated, inefficient programs that we should be able to abolish, right?

September 22, 2010 at 11:13 | Report abuse | Reply
    • cleat

yea, thats what i thought...

September 22, 2010 at 12:43 | Report abuse |
    • Kraznodar

Talking to yourself cleat? Don't worry, it isn't a sign of insanity like people used to think.

September 22, 2010 at 14:44 | Report abuse |
  29. cleat

F-it....I am dropping my coverage at work...you sukkas can pay....why pay when its free, eh?

September 22, 2010 at 11:15 | Report abuse | Reply
    • ETM

Knock yourself out, cleat. Drop your coverage at work and get another plan.

September 22, 2010 at 11:19 | Report abuse |
    • Lee Oates

Cleat, your a study in stupidity.

September 22, 2010 at 11:24 | Report abuse |
    • cleat

screw the "plan" ... I gots obama to cover all my needs! I anit gotta do nuittin! ITS FREE!!

September 22, 2010 at 11:25 | Report abuse |
    • Kraznodar

If you read the new law you would know that you have to have insurance and pay a premium. There is no opt out available.

September 22, 2010 at 14:45 | Report abuse |
    • KC

Go ahead, drop your insurance. And if/when you're carted off to the hospital, the hospital will sue you and take your car, your house, and anything else you have of value. Oh, you have a job? They'll garnishee your paycheck, too. Medical bills are the #1 cause of bankruptcy filings in this country, both among people without insurance and among people WITH insurance.

September 22, 2010 at 15:48 | Report abuse |
  30. Carl

Insurance is basically a gamble, for insurer and insuree. One says I'll bet you don't get sick, the other says I'll bet my premiums are lower than the actual cost of care. The insurer plans to make money on that bet. If the bets don't pay off or the odds start to favor the insuree, the cost of making the bet will rise. If, however, you get more people to make the bet, the insuree has a far better chance of winning, and so is wllingto keep the cost of the bet lower.

What fails in all of this is that is has nothing to do with the cost of or delivery of health care beyond "Who pays?" The insuree no longer is concerned with costs, because they will win the bet with their insurer. The medical providers, depsite protests to the contrary, are not really concenred about costs, be cuase they always get something, and they can negotiate their payments.

The only real beneficiaries of this current model is that doctors stil make lots of money, medical device makers make lots of money, and insurers, if htey are good at it, make lots of money. I suppose the newly insured will be somewhat better off, but they will still need to find a doctor who will take them as a patient and accept their insurance (they don't actually HAVE to take your insurance).

Perhaps when the flap dies down, we can address the real issues in health care, as opposed to "Who pays?"

September 22, 2010 at 11:21 | Report abuse | Reply
    • LMS

Very interesting and thoughtful take on the issue. Thank you for not screaming at me or just complaining. It sounds like people with differing views could have a meaningful discussion with you... refreshing!

September 22, 2010 at 12:16 | Report abuse |
    • Kraznodar

Carl, that is also my concern. No one is going to work for free and I resent being forced to buy insurance (even though I voluntarily buy it). I am far less concerned with who pays than I am with does it work and can we keep everyone contributing to society.

September 22, 2010 at 14:49 | Report abuse |
    • KC

BRAVO!!!!! Under the existing system, insurance companies guarantee that they make money by denying payments. (That's the real death panel, folks.) My insurance hasn't paid for anything in 8 years, claiming that everything (including injuries from a car accident) is "related to pre-existing condition". When HCR reaches full power in a few years, they can't do that any more.

September 22, 2010 at 15:44 | Report abuse |
  31. Lee Oates

If Americans weren't so socially inbred, they could actually look around at the rest of the world, and discover that they have the most costly, primitive medical system in almost the entire world. Your medical system is killing the country by draining everyone dry financially. Worse, the only President that actually tried to save your butts, your rejected because he's black, better educated than most of you, and is not bought off by the corporations that actually control the country.

September 22, 2010 at 11:22 | Report abuse | Reply
    • ETM

I agree with you, but we will not reject our President. He will win big in 2012 and people will learn–slowly–that this health care plan is a big improvement.

September 22, 2010 at 11:24 | Report abuse |
    • cleat

oh, like how the dems are going to win big in nov.?

September 22, 2010 at 11:30 | Report abuse |
    • David

Unfortunately, you are wrong. Every other system in the world also has serious flaws in both delivery and quality. The statistics used to prove points on both sides of this arguement are often flawed. As an example, in the US we consider all live births, including premature births now as early as 3.5 months gestation, in our statics. In many other countries, a live birth is only a birth that has reached full gestation, premature births go in another category or are simply not reported. These differences are evident in every camparable statistic.

The only statistic that is universally accepted is that the US Healthcare system provides more care to foriegn nationals who choose to seek care in the US than any other heathlcare system in the world.

September 22, 2010 at 11:32 | Report abuse |
    • Lee Oates

David, that a load of crap. That's the line of bull provided by the Medical Insurance Cartels. Its a very twisted and distorted version of the healthcare systems of most other countries. Anyone that has lived in Canada, or other similiar countries knows how ridiculous are the statesments you make. Unfortunately, too many Americans have never experienced a decent, workable system, and have been taught that only America has all the answers, and all other ideas are suspect. Too much brain-washing at too early an age.

September 22, 2010 at 11:55 | Report abuse |
    • David

Lee Oates

Why do so many Canadians cross the border to the Cleveland Clinic, Mayo Clinic and other border area providers to received elective care. As an example, one of the signicant revenue line items at the Mayo Clinic is orthopedic surgery to foriegn nationals.

Please provide a reasoned response based on published information, not a cliched dismissall of a counter opinion.

September 22, 2010 at 12:20 | Report abuse |
    • Liz

@David, Do you really think of Cleveland and Mayo as "border area" clinics? They are well-respected, innovative hospitals with excellent records. *That* is why people flock to them. I once drove from Texas to Ohio to go there. It makes sense that people from other countries would want to do the same.

September 22, 2010 at 14:34 | Report abuse |
    • Kraznodar

David, your argument also fails because there are facilities in most of the nations with socialized health care that draw people from all over the world. Not only that but I see that you were honest enough to specify "elective" which means unnecessary. Every system has flaws. As long as we improve then things get better. I don't see our rate of improvement getting worse any time soon.

September 22, 2010 at 14:54 | Report abuse |
    • Lee Oates

David, I work in the medical system in Canada. All across Canada along the boarder, we constantly get Americans seeking medical help because they can't afford American medicine. Many people along the southern boarders of the states seek medical help in Mexico because they can't afford American medical care. Services in both Mexico and Canada are excellent. Some Canadians, usually the rich, seek help in the US and other European countries for "elective" care. Canada puts its efforts into keeping people healthy, not rebuilding noses of the rich for vanity sake, nor puffing up lips.

September 22, 2010 at 17:22 | Report abuse |
  32. cleat

yes- and he will never be president of the United States because he is "black"...oh, wait...

September 22, 2010 at 11:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  33. Dan

“The trouble with socialism is that you eventually run out of other people's money.”
    —Margaret Thatcher, Prime Minister of Great Britain

September 22, 2010 at 11:37 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Kraznodar

"The trouble with capitalism is that you eventually run out of people to screw out of their money." – Any railroad or coal mine owner.

September 22, 2010 at 14:56 | Report abuse |
  34. sally haas

I believe no matter what decision Obama comes up with to help EVERYONE, there will be stupid fools that still only think of themselves. Probably the same corrupt dummies that got our country in the mess it is. GREED! If u think ur taking it with u when u die, think again. Also, just for u people that continue being parasites and taking from everyone, it will come back to YOU!

September 22, 2010 at 11:58 | Report abuse | Reply
    • cleat

"everyone" is 30 million....just think of the cost when you times this by tenfold...

September 22, 2010 at 12:11 | Report abuse |
  35. Mamax

All you that are against it are crazy. How many adults between the age 19 and 26 are working hard but they can't afford a private insurance policy. It's all about money to you and not human decency. I'm glad it is in effect. Now my son has coverage. Or do you think insurance is only for the well off. When you become a senior citizen I 'll bet you will take the 250 dollar check won't you. What has happened to American people. Aren't we supposed to be a countery that takes care of it's citizens. Would you give Jesus insurance?

September 22, 2010 at 12:05 | Report abuse | Reply
    • LMS

Sounds like another reasonable person. Wish I could go to the Jon Stuart "Rally to Restore Sanity" and meet more reasonable people. Thank you for thinking of others and not only looking out for your own hide.

September 22, 2010 at 12:22 | Report abuse |
    • Over Taxed Middle Class

Because I'm tired of being sponged off of!!! Get it!!! You should pay for your own sons coverage if your pockets are that deep. No wonder you want all of us to help pick up the tab

September 22, 2010 at 12:40 | Report abuse |
    • cleat

250 dollars- called "buying votes" as it wont buy much else...
      Jesus dont need healthcare

September 22, 2010 at 12:42 | Report abuse |
    • fuyuko

You need to take responsibility for your own family. I will do the same for mine. It is not the public's obligation to provide healthcare for others. That is what charity is for.

September 22, 2010 at 14:23 | Report abuse |
  36. Mamax

WE ARE NOT O SOCIALIST COUNTRY. WILL ALL OF STOP BEING FEAR MONGERS? WWII IS OVER.

September 22, 2010 at 12:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  37. Over Taxed Middle Class

Quite frankly, I'm tired of paying for the lazy freeloaders that don't want to get a job and work for a living and pay their own way. Now I have to pay for dependents that are 26!!! A dependent that is 26! What the crap. Unless they are physically unable to work this shouldn't have been an issue!!!! I have worked since I was 15 and these people should GET A JOB and take responsibility for their own health.

September 22, 2010 at 12:31 | Report abuse | Reply
    • news corp.

taxed enough
      im with you,taxed enough so glad my taxes went down thanks to THIS prez.!!!!! hopefuly the taxes on the top 2% will go back where they were in the 90s,those freeloaders need to pay, so you dont have to,can you live with that?

September 22, 2010 at 12:43 | Report abuse |
    • Over Taxed Middle Class

The only freeloaders I see are the ones that pay NO TAXES AT ALL but still use the same services I use. At least the top 2% DO PAY TAXES. Sure, it may not be their fair share but they DO PAY!!! If the level did return to previous levels, that is NOT ENOUGH to cover these additions. Get a clue.

September 22, 2010 at 13:09 | Report abuse |
    • fuyuko

Yeah, the 26 yo thing is ridiculous. I am saddened at the desire to infantilize young adults to such a level that they still expect freebies at that age.

September 22, 2010 at 14:20 | Report abuse |
    • Kraznodar

I also started working at 15. I also hate freeloaders. That is why I want a limit on executive total annual compensation set as a 20 to 1 ratio to the lowest paid employee/contractor total annual compensation. Then all of the people that actually generate value would make a lot more money. This would move them into tax paying brackets. That would spread the burden around. This bill mandates that the uninsured buy insurance thus spreading the burden around. Why are you opposed to that?

September 22, 2010 at 15:03 | Report abuse |
    • KC

Yes, dependents who are 26. Anyone getting a graduate degree is probably that old when they enter the job market. You graduate law school at 25, then take the Bar exam, and turn 26 while waiting for the results. My state places limits on the number of hours that a law school student can work, and 15 hours a week is neither enough hours to get employer-based health care nor enough to pay for an individual policy. Medical school students are also still in school at 26, and spending too many hours studying to get a job with enough hours to get employer-provided insurance.

Furthermore, many low-skilled/entry-level jobs don't provide insurance. You work for some place that doesn't till you have enough experience to get a better job that does.

September 22, 2010 at 15:34 | Report abuse |
    • Lee Oates

Primitive and selfish argument. That's the attitude that will cause the collapse of the US.

September 22, 2010 at 17:46 | Report abuse |
    • Jennifer

The extension to 26 year olds is mostly for students, who are in graduate/medical/law school who do not have time to work, they are getting their education to be able to get a good job in this terrible economy, and be able to afford health care once they do get a job.

September 22, 2010 at 23:40 | Report abuse |
  38. afmcalax

My god can conservative say nothing new except what Fox tells them to? To those that say we will pay more. If nothing is done we will ALSO continue to pay more for LESS coverage. Corporations are eliminating health care because it is too expensive. Health Care costs are gobbling up more and more of our economy and providing no real return. Econ 101 states if you spread the cost of anything over a larger group of people where many may not be using it and others may be using it a lot, the total cost per person goes DOWN. That is why it needs to be made mandatory for everyone. This is not rocket science. If you can wait until you need it, then be subsidized by the people that have been in the plan, you are basically gaming the system.

As for the stupid socialist rants. Those are so baseless. We have socialized medicine now. It is just done poorly and cost more with worse results. This is just plain stupid. Don't you know that everyone in corporate plans subsidizes those with no insurance? Thousands of dollars of yearly premiums go to cover uninsured people. Those that buy insurance themselves subsiidize the uninsured even more. Medicare, Medicaid, and the Military are already socialized medical plans. The only way America's health care could not be socialized is if we let the uninsured die. If you don't have the money or the coverage then health care should be denied. Then the current plan would not be socialized. So think (I know it is hard) before you throw around totally unintelligent accusations like Obama's plan is socialistic. We are there already.

And please state what the Republicans will do with BushNoCare or RepubWhoCares. The one plan they have is to eliminate corporate healthcare, give small subsidies, and then force Americans to buy there own. They want to do to healthcare what they did to reitrement. How will you feel when your pay check is even smaller because you are paying your health care while corporations pocketed the difference to pay executives bigger bonuses?

September 22, 2010 at 12:34 | Report abuse | Reply
    • cleat

I would LOVE to have control over my retiremnt (SS)...at least I know i may get a penny of it someday...

September 22, 2010 at 12:47 | Report abuse |
    • Dtschlnd

If it's free and the rich people pay, what's the problem !!!

September 22, 2010 at 13:09 | Report abuse |
    • MidcoastMaine

The problem I have with all this is I thought I lived the United States. You know, the land of the free. That includes the freedom of choice. Can you name one other product that is forced upon us to buy. Yes, there alot of products out there that you must buy if you choose to participate in i.e. driving. That is crime #1 with this bill. Crime #2 is the fact that the bill did not address the issue of premium cost at all. No cap, no limitations, no guidelines at all. They gave ins. comp. free rein in this department.

Premiums in Maine are through the roof. $450/month for a $15k deductable on me and another $15k on the rest of the family. And it covers absolutely nothing. If I wanted insurance to cover anything, I was looking at $800plus/month. I know of early retirees(60-65) paying over $1200/month for health insurance. I do not see these premiums going down under this new reform.

September 22, 2010 at 20:01 | Report abuse |
  39. KT

If you are a family member for someone who served or is serving in the millitary you will not be covered up to the age of 26-funny how our commander in chief wanted this passed but yet the most important ppl (families of the millitary) get cut off once they hit 23-so number 1 is a lie-I suggest you research this CNN

September 22, 2010 at 12:49 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Kraznodar

Blame congress, not Obama. He didn't make the exclusion.

September 22, 2010 at 15:05 | Report abuse |
  40. ali

He is a winner for 2012 🙂

September 22, 2010 at 13:00 | Report abuse | Reply
  41. Johnny

Where do I sign-up for the FREE stuff???

September 22, 2010 at 13:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  42. Leo K

For all the people pissed off that they may have to pay more for "freeloaders" (many of whom are desperate to find a job, but not qualified or over 55 or chronically ill, etc): For each of your tax dollars, 50 – 55 cents goes to the military, and about 5 or 6 cents goes to health and human welfare – MAYBE as much as 9 or 10 cents, depending on what you count. So why not focus your angst where the bulk of our taxes go?? And don't tell me it's all for our brave soldiers – it's greatly for high tech weaponry that may help soldiers some, but mostly enriches corporations and their already-rich CEOs, including shady companies like Blackwater and Cheney's Halliburton, being awarded no-bid (non-competitive for cost) contracts. Meanwhile, soldiers on the ground have to improvise their own armor and veterans struggle to get needed treatments – which brings us back to health care! All you republicans wailing pathetically about costs and taxes: wake up (or take the blinders off your eyes) and confront the elephant in the room taking the majority of our tax dollars!!

September 22, 2010 at 13:12 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Sonny

I'm with you. If it's free and the rich people pay, why all the anger?

September 22, 2010 at 13:15 | Report abuse |
    • Over Taxed Middle Class

Such a statement since we all sleep under the umbrella of freedom every night. The last time I checked, high tech was good!!! AND who said the comment was republican unless you are saying that all middle class people are republican?????????????????????

September 22, 2010 at 13:36 | Report abuse |
  43. HPN

Some people make a living out of letting others do something while they sit around an criticize, I think they call them Republicans these days.
    Anyway, with the exception of the child you can't get out of the house, everything else makes so much sense that it is hard to believe these changes are having to just now be implemented. Most of the items needing change I would have considered to be illegal in the first place. So forget your party affiliation and think like an American, become an independent as I have.

September 22, 2010 at 13:33 | Report abuse | Reply
  44. Jessica S

The fact of the matter is that obviously the people that complain about this have never been without health insurance. I have been there and it isn't easy and if this is going to help people with that issue then I am all for it. It's not going to cost us that much more money.

September 22, 2010 at 13:36 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Over Taxed Middle Class

Who is US??????? When US pay.......who PAYS???????

September 22, 2010 at 13:58 | Report abuse |
    • Kraznodar

Hopefully it will be you specifically OTMC. I just think that someone that whines as much as you do needs to be taxed on general principal. It isn't like this bill will make you poor. If you don't like the tax burden then stop voting for the 2 big parties.

September 22, 2010 at 15:09 | Report abuse |
    • Over Tax Middle Class

I've paid my fair share of taxes for 37 years. Why don't you pick up the tab???????

September 22, 2010 at 17:58 | Report abuse |
  45. tery

The issue with this act is that it is NOT affordable health care, but guaranteed insurance. No where does the bill state that my – or your – cost of health insurance may be no more than X% of gross income, or increases are limited to X amount per year, or any other controls that would prevent my insurance costs from rising so quickly that I can no longer afford to be insured. This is the complaint of the folks being called "selfish" – the current setup seems guaranteed to price ordinary folks right out of the insurance they currently have, so more folks go without insurance, instead of less. Listen to folks from Mass, who have already been through it. I support the items listed going into effect, I have several friends who have been through trying to get insurance with pre-existing conditions – but Texas offers a high risk pool already, and the cost – and lack of coverage of the high risk offerings make no insurance a better option. I hold Congress responsible for not looking farther than their elections on this topic, not Obama. In the meantime, I'll be figuring out how I will pay my new up front costs, going up 2K next year, and waiting for the true affordable healthcare reform.

September 22, 2010 at 13:59 | Report abuse | Reply
  46. SC

Everything in the article truly will change healthcare in to a better system. But, that's not what the healthcare bill was about. It was about everything else. The worst thing about the healthcare bill was all the things that didn't relate to Healthcare in the slightest and got included in the bill. Example: The new 1099 tax forms – with so many people working for themselves now this new tax law is going to kill them. What needs to be passed into law is bill must contain relateable issues. The Democrats just shoved anything and everything in that bill because they knew it was going to get signed and there was nothing anyone could do about it.

September 22, 2010 at 14:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  47. Liz

This truly rocks! My 22 year old son can't get insurance through his job because he's making just enough hours to stay less than full-time with paid benefits. What it means to me personally is that I can put him on my insurance plan and we can pay the premium so that he can get the preventative care he needs and the care he might need in the event of the unthinkable. I'm middle class and am thrilled with what we've been able to accomplish by passing this program. FINALLY!

September 22, 2010 at 14:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  48. Trina

What they aren't telling you in this article, is that these changes are not effective for all plans now. It will be effective when the plan renews after 9/23/10. Plus if the emplyoer doesn't make a carrier change or significant changes to your plan design, then these changes won't affect your plan either. I wish the media would give more informed information to save the HR people of the world alot of headaches from having to clean up their mess and give employees bad news!!!

September 22, 2010 at 14:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  49. Cindy

Private insurance companies will start dropping plans so they can cherry pick only the lucrative plans. At some point they will become insignificant and obsolete. Medicare for all is the best and final answer!

September 22, 2010 at 14:51 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Lee Oates

What's best Cindy, is to duplicate the Canadian health care system, and get rid of the entire Medical Insurance Cartel system. Then all Americans would have a low-cost medical care system that could be dependable for all.

September 22, 2010 at 17:38 | Report abuse |
  50. DR

Most of you complaining about this bill should deny coverage for Medicare when you are elligible. If you're selfish enough and willing to help out your fellow americans, then why should we help you? Depending on how old you are Im quite sure 10 – 20 years down the road the "me me me" attitude will change quite a bit once you HAVE to rely on the same americans you are shunning. As they say "karma is a b****".

September 22, 2010 at 15:19 | Report abuse | Reply