home
RSS
New York City tries to ban outdoor smoking
September 16th, 2010

New York City tries to ban outdoor smoking

New York City could be inching closer to banning outdoor smoking in parks, beaches, marinas, boardwalks and pedestrian plazas.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg announced Wednesday plans to expand smoking bans outdoors because of the effects of secondhand smoke.

“The science is clear: prolonged exposure to secondhand smoke – whether you’re indoors or out – hurts your health.  Today, we’re doing something about it,” the mayor said in a news release.

Read more about Secondhand smoke exposure 'striking' in the U.S.

A New York councilmember is expected to introduce the new local law tomorrow at the City Council meeting.

Check out this iReport about the ban.

A similar measure in California failed earlier this year that would’ve banned smoking in all state beaches and parks.  The bill was vetoed by cigar aficionado, Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger.

1. BigShitAl

they should just make NYC into a prison island – all working schlubs should be slaves to the wall st big cats

September 16, 2010 at 23:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. samcpr

hey, nanny bloomer, u have nothing better to do, try fixing the economy, what a joke and a looser u r..

September 16, 2010 at 23:43 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Joy

I can just see it now. NYC jails will be full of smokers who were arrested while the thieves and killers are running the streets.

September 16, 2010 at 23:49 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Nick in Philly

I think they would fine you, not arrest you.

September 17, 2010 at 00:08 | Report abuse |
  4. Hosagi Taishou

NYC Has 8,363,710 people living nearly twice that in commuters probably has less than 30% of total population that smokes. Yet their big concern isnt the cars but the 30% of people that smoke. Way to ignore the real problems, lets not work on a clean car innitiative and stick with smoking.

September 16, 2010 at 23:50 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Steven P

Hammer, meet the nail head.

September 16, 2010 at 23:51 | Report abuse |
  5. Elle

I hope that they pass this law. I am sick to death of having some inconsiderate blow their smoke right into a current of air that throws the smoke right into my face. My lungs are sensitive, once the smoke hits them I have a coughing fit. Smoking kills. Second hand smoking kills. These smokers are not only endangering their life but mines as well. If smokers would like to kill themselves they can do it in the comfort of their home and leave the rest of us out of it.

September 16, 2010 at 23:52 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Steven P

There are people who have sensitivity to cologne. Would you as fully support a ban on all fragrances?

September 16, 2010 at 23:53 | Report abuse |
    • Johnny

Steve – frangrances don't come with Surgeon General's warning. Poor analogy.
      Give up the cigs, kiddo.

September 16, 2010 at 23:57 | Report abuse |
    • Nick in Philly

Yeah Steven P, we're talking about health, not likes and dislikes. I personally would like a ban on garlic fries at lunch in my office, but that doesn't fit the criteria for a "law". Getting rid of the smell too is just another advantage, but the smell alone is not reason enough for a ban.

September 17, 2010 at 00:00 | Report abuse |
  6. Johnny

You don't have the right to smoke if it interferes with my right to inhale CLEAN air. F U, smokers. Pretty soon we'll have designated places just for your ilk.

September 16, 2010 at 23:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Guest

Most people don’t want to breathe in second hand smoke even smokers. Most smokers know that smoking is not good for them. However, they just make an excuse such as stress or sadness and smoke for short time benefits knowing all of the long term disadvantages which will eventually bring more stress and sadness. Educating smokers won’t help because they know the harm already. Raising the price through the tax won’t help because someone out of state can send them tons of cigarettes as gift. NYC may lose some cash flow opportunities of cigarette sales, deliveries, and medical expenses but trying to do right thing over economic benefit is no doubt the right move by the government. Most government other than NYC cannot afford to do that.

September 16, 2010 at 23:59 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. MLWells

Lara, there HAVE been instances of condo owners being sued by owners of adjacent condos for smoking in their homes! The non-smokers alleged that they were being exposed to second-hand smoke becaue the condos shared a ventillation system. The smokers were ordered to smoke outside ... even then, the non-smokers complained "because the smoke was wafting into the windows of THEIR condo". How would you like to pay, say, $100,000 for a condo only to be told you couldn't smoke IN YOUR HOME?

I wonder if the "smoking police" are among those that oppose enforcing clean air restrictions on Corporate America and/or the Auto Industry ... concerned that the cost is so prohibitive that jobs will be lost? Or, do they only believe the "science" which best supports their PERSONAL preference?

A while back I took a break to actually look out the window of my office (21st floor) and observed groups of people engaged in a LAWFUL ACTIVITY – smoking – in alleys near dumpsters (away from the entrances to their buildings). Then, I decided to take the elevator to the snack shop on a lower level to get an iced tea ... was confronted by an obese woman on the elevator complaining because she had to walk through cigarette smoke! When she asked my opinion, I pointed out that those smokers were well beyond the required 25 feet from the entrance and, frankly, the additional 100# she was carrying would kill her more quickly than the "second-hand smoke" 25 feet away she was exposed to for 2 seconds!

Let's face it ... SOMEONE is ALWAYS doing SOMETHING that will offend SOMEONE! I, too, suffer from asthma ... an attack can be triggered by a number of things I'm confronted with daily: those who bathe in cologne; driving past an oil refinery spewing chemicals into the air; filling my gas tank; wildfires, etc. Oddly, cigarette smoke doesn't bother me (perhaps because my parents were chain-smokers) but the smoke from a fireplace or burning leaves does. "Designated smoking areas" are ineffective because those adamantly against smoking will continue to INSIST that they are being exposed to second-hand smoke. For all the talk about the hazards of second-hand smoke, one would think that the FDA would be happy about the e-cigarette - NO second-hand smoke! Yet, it is trying to prohibit the manufacture/sell of the product because the SMOKER still gets his/her hit of nicotine. Go figure!

So, while the anti-smokers are celebrating yet another deprivation of personal choice (of smokers), will they be so happy when the government decides to restrict their purchase of their favorite latte', hot dog, alcoholic beverage, soda pop, pizza, etc. because it is UNHEALTHY?

September 17, 2010 at 00:11 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Nick in Philly

You buying and consuming your favorite latte', hot dog, alcoholic beverage, soda pop, or pizza doesn't affect anyone else's health, so it's a bad comparison. Try again.

September 17, 2010 at 00:15 | Report abuse |
    • Deb

What a rude and nasty comment you made to that woman in the elevator!

September 17, 2010 at 00:53 | Report abuse |
    • The Equalizer

Probably one of the most rational posts I've read here...Amen brother!

September 17, 2010 at 15:20 | Report abuse |
  9. m1sterlurk

Lemme know when the murder rate skyrockets.

Cigarettes are like a cup of coffee. An offensive cup of coffee, yes, but despite your selfish concerns about your health due to a brief passing with something as bad for you as car exhaust, remember that by telling smokers they can't smoke anywhere but at home, you're basically telling them "NO MORE COFFEE". If you're a non-smoker but a coffee drinker, imagine being told you couldn't have coffee anywhere, because caffeine is bad for you.

This is why I hate excessive smoking bans. I'm in the process of quitting myself, but I think my decision to quit was actually delayed by my spite of selfish non-smokers that will walk up to you from 50 feet away to whine about your cigarette bothering them.

September 17, 2010 at 00:17 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. AG

Yeah NYC!

September 17, 2010 at 00:22 | Report abuse | Reply
    • The Equalizer

This is NOT the NYC i once knew and loved...Bloomberg, like PrezBo, needs to get his priorities in order. He is the type of Republican that we are making extinct one step at a time.

September 17, 2010 at 15:23 | Report abuse |
  11. Sherri

I quit smoking a year ago, and I am glad I did. But this.....is just ridiculous.

September 17, 2010 at 00:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. peepshow

Get a life anti-tobacco people. You will never stop us.

September 17, 2010 at 00:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. JJ

This is absolutely idiotic. What's next, banning the baby carriages that braindead NYC mothers think they can drive all over everyone else like they own the sidewalks?

Morons.

September 17, 2010 at 00:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Dylan from Pennsylvania

So what's next? Banning the consumption of coffee, soda and junk food in public? They're bad for us too. They hurt innocent people due to excessive consumption and related obesity.

America, wake up! Smokers know that cigarette smoke is bad for them. We understand that second hand smoke hurts others. We get the point. Now with that said, what about all those driving their gas guzzling SUV's? What about the busses and trucks that spew toxic fumes into the sky, destroy our environment and make the world uninhabitable over time? What about all the cattle we eat and the methane they release into the atmosphere?

We smokers are not your whipping post. You've taken away our ability to enjoy a cigarette while drinking. You've neutered our ability to have a cigarette over dinner. Now you're saying that the smoke which rises into the air is still poisioning you and needs to be eliminated as well?

On what planet do you think you get to restrict my right to life, liberty and happiness? I'm not a libertarian or anything, but this is just rediculous.

If you don't want to breathe in toxic fumes, chemicals and all that, perhaps you should move somewhere that has no wind, no technology, no electricity or anything else. It can be like some big commune for the physically pure. Go. Enjoy. You'll live longer... Oh wait, you can't because the medical profession will be far more restricted in your ideal world due to not being able to utilize plastics and other things that are petrolium based and require manufacturing that produces the very fumes you don't want in your body.

For the record, separate is not inherently equal, or did you miss that supreme court case?

Morons... This country is slowly being led and influenced by morons...

September 17, 2010 at 00:29 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Deb

For the umpteenth time, food issues and obesity only harm the health of the person who has that issue, not anyone else around them!

September 17, 2010 at 00:56 | Report abuse |
  15. Former Smoker

So much for the pursuit of happiness. Next they will start banning smokers to "reprogramming institutions" and with their luck the location will be New Jersey. Hell, the air is nasty people should breath through the filters even if there isn't a cig!

September 17, 2010 at 00:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Kenny

This has got to be a joke. All the smog, murders, drug, shootings, auto exhaust and farts and they want to outlaw smoking outside. Give me a break. Next they will want to outlaw smoking in your own home while making pot legal. People we got serious priority problems in this country.

September 17, 2010 at 00:33 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Alex

Freaking idiots...Can't smoke indoors, in parks...youre pushing all the smokers on to the sidewalks...good luck making it through the gauntlet of smoke being blown in your face. Personally I think you all deserve it...keep giving away others peoples freedoms for the illusion of health. A few wafts of smoke coming from a smoker at the park would have been no more unhealthy than having a bus pass in front of you...you sacrificed someones personal rights for that much benefit to you...eventually they'll come for something you like...and no one will stand with you either.

September 17, 2010 at 00:40 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. James

I love all the smokers whining. Smoking should be banned period. I don't want to smell your 2nd hand smoke. 500K+ die every year as a result of smoking related illnesses.

September 17, 2010 at 00:41 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jeremiah

im not whinning so stop generalizing things. i think its a great idea as long as i can have the freedom to smoke on streets or my house or my balcony. if you dont like it go to SF there are people smoking pot in front of you and at the parks try that! damn that stinks!

September 17, 2010 at 00:45 | Report abuse |
    • The Equalizer

Hey, Jim-Bo...you were probably the geek who reminded the teacher she forgot o give us homework...get a life cuz you're the whiner here. Did you get beaten up on the playground too? Good, I'm sure you deserved it!

September 17, 2010 at 15:28 | Report abuse |
  19. Hendrix

Go NYC! just because there are other serious problems we shouldn't address second-hand smoke??? why should someone else have the right to affect my health in a negative way?!! I already pay for their inevitable health care costs! BS!!!

September 17, 2010 at 00:42 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Alex

Hey Hendrix..if they have their own health coverage...they pay the costs. If they have Medicaid...then if they die fairly young and again...save you the taxes it would take from treating all of those infirmities that develop in old people until they die at the age of 90 or so. As for your health, I can go and idle my car outside your window all day long if I feel like it...or I can buy something diesel with lots of exhaust and drive it right by you when I see you on the streets...guarantee you that will affect your health more than some second hand cig smoke in the air..and guess what...you can't do a darn thing about it. So about someone having the right to affect your health...that ship has sailed. What this issue is about is depriving individuals of personal liberties. No one said freedom was free man, if I have to take a little second hand waft in my face every now and then so that I can sleep with the knowledge my fellow Americans will stand by me if the Feds want to take away my rights....its well worth it.

September 17, 2010 at 00:54 | Report abuse |
  20. henry

@Spartacus speaking of ignorant, if you want to insult the NY mayor for being a political tyrant call him a dictator or fascist but not communist.

September 17, 2010 at 00:51 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. henry

@Jeremiah why should you have the right to smoke on the streets? The streets are the public streets for all people and not just you and those that want to smoke and make others sick. If you want to smoke go indoors to your own home and smoke all you want with the windows closed please. A famous judge once said that you have the right to swing your fist around in a circle but that right ends when it comes in contact with someone's nose.

September 17, 2010 at 00:57 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Ryan

Why don't smokers just wear a plastic bag over their heads and then they can smoke all the time? Or a device that forces all the smoke into their lungs where it belongs?

September 17, 2010 at 01:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Vicki

It is legal to buy cigarettes, make cigarettes illegal! No one will do that because they like the green crunchy money in their greedy pockets. Stop whining about second hand smoke and your meaningless lives that you want to preserve until your pooping your pants in some gross nursing home costing other people a fortune. Face the fact that you are going to die and stop picking on everyone about your rights. I would like to round all these whining freaks up and blow smoke in their faces and while at it, I'd play annoying music, maybe ELO or Boston.

September 17, 2010 at 01:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. thefatmann

Humans are C02 sources contributing to global climate disruption. BAN HUMANS!

September 17, 2010 at 01:07 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. Kris

Ex-smoker here. I think it is totally ridiculous. We either have to choose between freedom in this country or having the government telling us what is "best" for us and everybody else. And yet again, it seems that the majority of people are more than willing to surrender OTHER people's freedom. And this crap about someone else's right to not breathe second hand smoke, would not a smoker who doesn't drive have the same right to walk down the sidewalk without having to breathe in automobile exhaust that a non smoker have to not be exposed to second hand smoke? Where does it stop?

September 17, 2010 at 01:09 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. Moira

No coughing or sneezing in public. No leaving rest rooms without having washed your hands (certified by a certified city hand wash inspector). No touching fruits & vegetables in grocery stores without having first donned sterile gloves. No puking in public. (Ever been around Madison Square Garden after a game?) No spitting chewing gum on sidewalks.

September 17, 2010 at 01:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. Blaster

good luck...go for it

September 17, 2010 at 01:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. content_pessimist

This will be next for these stupid cities and states like NY "Detroit enacts ban on perfumes, scented candles and deodorant"

September 17, 2010 at 01:16 | Report abuse | Reply
  29. Jonathan

It will never work. People will just break the law in record numbers. Instead of cops actually going around preventing crime or helping people they're going to be preoccupied with giving tickets to smokers. You'd think that people with authority were actually intelligent because, well, they made it so far up the ladder...but after the last ten years I really don't think they're all that intelligent or deserving of their authority/offices.

September 17, 2010 at 01:17 | Report abuse | Reply
  30. sameeker

I for one do not want to be driving on the interstate when the fatso next to me has a fast food heart attack and crashes into my car. Prior to the PC takeover of the 90s, most people smoked. Where were all the deaths from second hand smoke then? Keep taking peoples freedoms to appease the minority and many more people will die from civil unrest.

September 17, 2010 at 01:30 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Colin in Florida

To say that most people smoked in the 90's is totally wrong. The high point in the US was the mid-1960's, when roughly 42% of adults smoked. By 2006, the rate was down to about 20%.

i am NOT a smoker, and hate the smell of cigarette. Both my folks smoked, and going away to college made me realize how nasty the air on our house was. That being said, this is wrong, this is big brother government at it's worst. Smokers have rights, and as long as it is outdoors, let them smoke.

September 17, 2010 at 01:59 | Report abuse |
  31. Common sense

LOL, Lets make it simple and stupid,,

1-Ban smoking , nice idea, but do not charge taxes on cigarettes to support any type of multibillion endeavor. Now to be fair to make up the loss in cigarette taxes , I would suggest triple property taxes, excise taxes , sales taxes & county taxes. oops I guess even tripling them would not account for the loss revenue. Hmmmmm. Why not just hang the smokers from the tree , or better yet tie them up to trees and burn them alive , or just treat them like you would treat any second class citizen or foreigner.

2-Carbon Monxide smoke does 1000% percent more damage than any second hand smoke from any manufacturer, why not just focus on that. How about the people in the welfare lines milking the system, now that will tear up a nation and kill us all much faster.

I can go on and on and on. Common Sense , and Ignorance is so seldom exercised and often used. And yes some smart alec single MOM , or someone who finds it productive to waste their time with their empty opinions online, shouting for freedom of cigarette smoke from the air they breathe will waste time instead of just reading and voting. No Vote, SHUTUP!
    Vote, you might just make a difference.

Oh by the way when you eat those beans or whatever you eat , and fart in front of some one else, guess what pin-head, those are dangerous gases. How about corking it and keeping us alive also.

September 17, 2010 at 01:40 | Report abuse | Reply
    • hal9thou

OMG, you are so friggin' FUNNY! Think I'll just stand next to you at a park or in a parking lot and just fart away! You won't mind, will you? I mean, the smell will dissipate in NO time! Get over it!

September 17, 2010 at 02:50 | Report abuse |
  32. sprinkles

I don't live in New York, but I love the city. If they ban smoking it doesn't make the place any less wonderful. However my comment is for those non-smokers who say that our right to smoke doesn't trump their right to breathe. I do agree, but when outdoors smoke doesn't linger. Non-smokers act like if a bit of smoke goes their way they are going to get cancer. Get over yourself.

September 17, 2010 at 01:41 | Report abuse | Reply
    • hal9thou

Sprinkles, for all non-smokers I say BITE ME! Why do you think we enjoy smelling your smoke? We arent' concerned about cancer as much as we are concerned about GOOD MANNERS! Smoke it up at home all you want, beatch!

September 17, 2010 at 02:27 | Report abuse |
  33. Filly

Ever waded through the wafting trail of a heavily scented woman? Or been sandwiched for several hours on a airplane between two dames cloaked in no less than a half dozen "beauty" products? Now try being allergic to oh say....roses or being asthmatic. Can we rein in shampoo, conditioner, hair spray, hair gel, pomade, perfume, cologne, after shave, body spray, lotions, powders, make-up, deodorant, and fabric softener next?

September 17, 2010 at 01:48 | Report abuse | Reply
  34. rjlanning

Most people who frequent bars drive to and from those establishments. Over 17 million people drive drunk at least once per year. Every 45 minutes, an innocent person is killed by a drunk driver. Why should non-drinkers have to risk their lives for the sake of people who drink. The time has come... Let's ban drinking in bars!

September 17, 2010 at 01:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. patty

Do you guys seriously not realize that the reason smoking (and drinking alike) is legal is because it was grandfathered in? If it were a new product up for debate today it would be kicked to the curb so fast. Think about it.

September 17, 2010 at 01:52 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. Deigo2

Everybody is yelling about second hand smoke. Ask yourself this question. Do you believe that second hand smoke will kill you, before the pollution that you breath every day? If your answer to this is yes. Then I would like for you to go to your garage, closed the door, turn your car on and breath in the fumes. Then after an hour tell me second hand smoke is worst than breathing in the air of people who smoke. You will not be able to tell anybody anything because you will be dead!

September 17, 2010 at 01:53 | Report abuse | Reply
  37. Dickie Hertz

How about bbq's? or cars??? Maybe I should hold my farts in as well, Mr. Bloomberg!

September 17, 2010 at 01:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  38. kenneth

Its unfortunate that we have reached a point where many of us are willing to outlaw anything we dont like.That is very dangerous territory for our rights . Our goverment is making everything illegal,and that results in a corrosion of our ability to act as adults able to make desisions for ourselves. If a smoker cant smoke outdoors,and cant smoke indoors than obviosly this is an attempt at forced social controll.I am sure thats fine with many of you ,but I can guarentee you will wake up one day to find that you can no longer leave your home withou the aid of a lawyer to give 24 hr advice. It sometimes already feels that way.

September 17, 2010 at 01:55 | Report abuse | Reply
    • hal9thou

Yeah, protect rights of smokers to spew their stank across America... right... Smoke all you want in the privacy of your own home, schmuck, and leave public air alone!

September 17, 2010 at 02:07 | Report abuse |
  39. patty

while I do agree that yes it would be impossible to ban cigarettes, you must realize that it's impossible because of the tobacco industry (i'm hoping/assuming that is who you were referring to as the greedy people). It also wouldn't be possible to make it illegal because of the impact it's already made in society and how well known it is. It would be like the prohibition all over again but with cigarettes. Didn't work the first time.

And seriously, be a little more respectful next post, or at least a little more obvious as a troll. your choice. No one will take you seriously using the phrase "pooping your pants".

September 17, 2010 at 02:02 | Report abuse | Reply
  40. hal9thou

I really don't care about a health hazard from second hand smoke, because that seems pretty lame with auto emissions being the big problem. What I do have a problem with is smokers thinking they have a right to pollute the air I am breathing with their cigarette emissions. Why should I have to smell your rank filth in the outdoors? Because it is your right? Not... ban smoking from ALL public places NOW!

September 17, 2010 at 02:03 | Report abuse | Reply
    • The Equalizer

Hey can we meet in Times Square so I can just literally knock you out...then you won't smell anything you righteous a**hol*!

September 17, 2010 at 15:33 | Report abuse |
  41. IWonder

How about banning drinking?. Many more people die by drunk drivers than second hand smoke! Making drunk driving illegal is not working. So, let's make drinking illegal all togeher

September 17, 2010 at 02:07 | Report abuse | Reply
    • hal9thou

Moron. This isn't about deaths from second hand smoke and drunk driving. This is about common courtesy for non-smokers in public areas. We don't want to smell your filth! Keep it at home, ass!

September 17, 2010 at 02:20 | Report abuse |
    • Dylan from Pennsylvania

Ban drinking? We tried that and look how that turned out. In fact, one could argue that prohibition is part of the reason this nonsense is allowed to even be considered.

Prohibition gave rise to organized crime. This prompted the expansion of federal policing powers. Said expansion of power continued gradually until the cold war and beyond. J. Edgar Hoover was a master at securing as much control as he could (and apparently looked great in pumps). The Red Scare and McCarthyism only worked to generate a populace more willing to exercise civil unrest. This comes at a time when Civil Rights were starting to be at the forefront. Throw in the military industrial complex, some war, riots, Kent State and what do we have kids? The generation that believes it can do what it wants as long as it's for the best interests of everyone. If we can't control people, we can control the law and make them abide by our will.

Rule of the majority by a minority. Whether you consider the minority the wealthy elite, the passionate causehead or the religious extremist. For some reason their minority status gives them a greater voice in things.

Well damnit, we smokers are a minority. We have just as much a right to champion our cause of being able to smoke, live our lives and die while affecting the rest of you. Much like you have the right to complain that our smoke is killing you and your children. Nevermind the fact that there are real issues out there like carbon monoxide production, methane production, serious cancer cases for those that live near power lines, consumption of cancerous materials through plastic cups and utensils, rampant illegal drug use, a corporate takeover of our lives and two political parties that combined don't represent this country. yes... Let us focus on smoking! If that's what New York City wants? Cool. Enjoy! Your smokers will only take so much before they respond. Maybe they'll change the electorate and get in some candidates that repeal these BS laws? Maybe they'll collectively nic-fit and riot? Maybe you'll get lucky and they'll just leave.

Last time I checked, this country was based on freedom to, not freedom from. Arguments about things being for the health and welfare of the public is a slippery slope argument that should only be used in cases like oh I don't know... When we used to spray DDT in CITIES multple times a day. Ya know what that did to the country's water table, cancer rates, etc? That was outlawed and for good reason. It should not be used to curb second hand smoke. It should be done in order to keep our kids from all being obese and unable to live as long as we can. Issues that demonstrate a clear and immediate danger to our children and their future. Second hand smoke has been around since this country was founded. Why is it so dangerous all of a sudden? Perhaps its the chemicals we inject in the tobacco? Maybe it's a combination of those chemicals and others we ingest through our processed, chemically enhanced meat and other products? Rather than lay blame on one single thing, maybe we should conduct an actual scientific study with no preconceived notions and get to the heart of the problem. That being our unwillingness to do anything the hard way. Our constant desire for immediate self gratification.

This country has forgotten what it means to work for something. If you want to be healthy, you have to work for it. The human body has shown amazing resilience. You don't get that by banning everything that could have a negative impact. By that train of thought, we should ban breathing all oxygen. It's laced with all sorts of chemicals, metals and things that are harmful through continued exposure.

If you want to be healthy, by all means. However, this right you think you have to tell me that your health comes first and at the expense of my right to live how I want to can sit and spin. I mean, do you not realize that by sterilizing the world you make the human body less able to handle foreign contaminants when exposed to them? Are you so caught up emotionally that you can't rationally see that there are more imporant issues in this country than going after something that's been done for hundreds of years, with side effects only really causing a stir in the last few decades? Where in the universe are your priorities? Please think about that before trying to curb my rights. One day the shoe will be on the other foot and then you'll undrestand that some innane personal choice of yours affects others, and we don't give a damn because that's your right.

Ahh the Ministry of Love. Barbed Wire fences and Machinegun posts to keep the unwanted away. Thank you Mr. Orwell. Unfortunately it would appear that your words have fallen on deaf ears.

September 17, 2010 at 09:00 | Report abuse |
  42. Doug

Booze will be next for banishment....Just wait.

September 17, 2010 at 02:09 | Report abuse | Reply
  43. Flapjack

Jeeezz... at nearly $10 a pack, I think those smokers are PAYING for the parks, beaches, marinas, boardwalks and pedestrian plazas.
    If it's such a big deal, then designate a smoking area in these outdoor spaces as well. They are paying for it, they may as well enjoy it. New York sucks now. All the good clubs closed, no smoking in bars, paying out your @ss for pretty much anything.
    Oh, and it stinks like hot @ss tailpipe... worry more about getting your city busses to be green and emit less pollution and getting sh!tty ass cars off the road in your city, then maybe we can talk. What's that you say? You need the smoker's tobacco tax to pay for that. Oh, right... pppfffttt.... Bloomburg is a dillhole

September 17, 2010 at 02:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  44. hal9thou

THE POINT IS SMOKERS STINK UP THE AIR AND MAKE IT UNPLEASANT FOR NON-SMOKERS! SMOKE IT UP ALL YOU WANT IN YOUR OWN HOMES, NOT IN PUBLIC! JERKS!

September 17, 2010 at 02:14 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Tim K

your one of the people that cant get off the park bench to walk the extra few feet to not smell cigarettes aren't you?

September 17, 2010 at 02:32 | Report abuse |
    • Sam

Typing in CAPS does not make you right. You won't be able to smoke in your own house next that is what this is building up to get it? You can't smoke outside all this facist B.S. You stupid sheep don't even realize you are being groomed for bigger restrictions. What's next?

September 17, 2010 at 02:51 | Report abuse |
    • hal9thou

Farting all I want in your face, that's what is next. Until you can realize how disgusting I find your smoke odor to be! THAT LOUD ENOUGH FOR YA, CITIZEN?

September 17, 2010 at 03:04 | Report abuse |
    • Troll of the Mid-Atlantic

By all means, take another soma and report to your daily orgy.

Do people not read? Do they not understand?

Brave New World
      1984
      A nation of Sheep

Please read and seriously attempt to understand these books before going all caps and acting like an ignorant douche.

September 17, 2010 at 09:04 | Report abuse |
  45. Tim K

alright, so I get limiting indoor smoking because there the air volume and circulation is limited, but really outdoors? It's bad enough that cigarettes are like $14 a pack in NYC. If people want to kill themselves let them do it, its what makes the health care system a revolving door and making money anyway. Granted I do smoke, I realize what I am doing to myself, but I deserve that right of choice. Am I a hypocrite? Maybe, but at least I haven't forgotten the fundamentals America was founded trying to protect. Like someone said before, cars put out way more pollution than smokers do. If you dont like the smell cigs either get your fatass up and walk the extra 5 feet away so you dont, or build up the nerve to say excuse me, can you not do that right next to me? if you were there first, chances are the person will probably be considerate. This is just ridiculous

September 17, 2010 at 02:29 | Report abuse | Reply
    • hal9thou

No, Timmy, it's not ridiculous. We non-smokers are tired of smelling your crap whenever we want to enjoy the great outdoors. Keep the smoke at home, baby. Nobody is banning you from that. If I see you smoking on the street next time, I'll just idle my fat ass up to your rude ass and slap away!

September 17, 2010 at 02:36 | Report abuse |
  46. rjlanning

Those who die from second hand smoke are obviously genetically inferior. It's just natural selection doing her thing. Meanwhile, those smokers who survive past the average life expectancy will donate our sperm to create a superior race that can easily survive and thrive in the polluted apocalyptic future. [insert evil laugh here]

September 17, 2010 at 02:37 | Report abuse | Reply
    • hal9thou

Spoken like a true snarky smoker...

September 17, 2010 at 02:43 | Report abuse |
    • rjlanning

Snarky?

SNARKY –adjective, snark·i·er, snark·i·est. Chiefly British Slang .
      testy or irritable; short.

Either you misunderstood my post or you misunderstood the meaning of snarky. I'm not the least bit irritated. In fact, I'm quite jovial. I think the word you were looking for is:

SMUG –adjective, smug·ger, smug·gest.
      1. contentedly confident of one's ability, superiority, or correctness.

September 17, 2010 at 02:53 | Report abuse |
    • hal9thou

Nope, according to the Urban Dictionary, snarky is: sarcastic, bitchy, witty, rude, Dane Cook funny. I think you fit the bill, smoker.

September 17, 2010 at 03:00 | Report abuse |
    • rjlanning

My apologies... I was using a real dictionary. But thank you. I appreciate your recognition of my wittiness.

September 17, 2010 at 03:05 | Report abuse |
    • hal9thou

Oh, you're so welcome, smoker. You STINK! BLECH!

September 17, 2010 at 03:13 | Report abuse |
    • rjlanning

Hmmm... That's weird... I don't smell a thing.

September 17, 2010 at 03:25 | Report abuse |
  47. jeffv

the usa has tested more 1500 nukes-poisoning our air, water and earth

the oil companies have polluted even more, not to mention the refineries, toxic pollutants from companies etc–and ALL the companies/CEO's get away with it because they OWN your politicians

The car companies have had all this time to make electric/hybrid cars, but they are owned by the oil companies and politicians polluting our earth–not to mention pollutants from fridges, air conditioners etc

meanwhile, you're gonna go after someone who smokes outside in a corner-I am a smoker and I try to be as far away from people when I do smoke as to not bother them–now YES there are smokers who aren't polite/considerate, but hey!
    and don't get me started on the drug companies

September 17, 2010 at 02:37 | Report abuse | Reply
    • hal9thou

You're not far enough from us, brother. Keep your friggin' smoke at home! We don't want even once SNIFF, jerk!

September 17, 2010 at 02:41 | Report abuse |
  48. David

Hows about this. We stop smokin in the state, you stop taxing us!.. Fare deal? Think about how much money your state MAKES from us smokers... would you like to pay out the butt for what ever they decide to pick on next, to make up for the loss in taxes?

September 17, 2010 at 02:40 | Report abuse | Reply
  49. Hopps

I think this is another thing among many other things that will start a major war in this country, It’s sad that this is what they want. 40 years ago nobody thought one thing about someone smoking anywhere. They really condition people on whatever they want. Like gun control, I watched an episode of All in the family earlier and it was very anti gun. This show and shows like this is heavily bias with the left wing liberals of this country and have been conditioning people for decades on well anti American efforts in this country.

September 17, 2010 at 02:45 | Report abuse | Reply
    • hal9thou

Amen, brother! God bless America! Now, go smoke in your own backyard where I won't have to smell it! Thanks! I hope your neighbors complain, though!

September 17, 2010 at 02:54 | Report abuse |
  50. clackity clack

Better ban flatulence in public too. green house gasses out of guido's asses

September 17, 2010 at 02:47 | Report abuse | Reply