home
RSS
New York City tries to ban outdoor smoking
September 16th, 2010

New York City tries to ban outdoor smoking

New York City could be inching closer to banning outdoor smoking in parks, beaches, marinas, boardwalks and pedestrian plazas.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg announced Wednesday plans to expand smoking bans outdoors because of the effects of secondhand smoke.

“The science is clear: prolonged exposure to secondhand smoke – whether you’re indoors or out – hurts your health.  Today, we’re doing something about it,” the mayor said in a news release.

Read more about Secondhand smoke exposure 'striking' in the U.S.

A New York councilmember is expected to introduce the new local law tomorrow at the City Council meeting.

Check out this iReport about the ban.

A similar measure in California failed earlier this year that would’ve banned smoking in all state beaches and parks.  The bill was vetoed by cigar aficionado, Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger.

1. Korny

Yet it is ok for all those cars and buses spew toxic fumes in the same area. Pftt...

September 16, 2010 at 12:29 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Peter

what busses do you drive behind? ones from 1977?

September 16, 2010 at 13:54 | Report abuse |
    • nygirl

Sorry – I know all the culture and openmindedness scares you.

September 16, 2010 at 15:39 | Report abuse |
    • N***erDust

S**t girl, I come from Portland. You are an ingrate. West is best.

September 16, 2010 at 15:55 | Report abuse |
    • Ryan Bowers

wow, NYC is turning into a really lame city. What's next banning all the crazy people because they cause stress?

September 16, 2010 at 16:37 | Report abuse |
    • NewGoldStandard

comparing Portland to New York is silly. tell yourself whatever makes you feel better, but New York is widely recognized as one of the greatest cities in the world. if you don't enjoy Paris or London either, then stay in Portland... in fact, just stay in Portland.

September 16, 2010 at 18:18 | Report abuse |
    • mr.muncheez

This little hilter-eskew, mole-rat lookin weasel with a Napoleon complex needs to get the hell out of NY. We do not need big brother telling us what to do and what is good for us. This a- hole is taking away people's freedoms that the Constitution is supposed to guarantee us as Americans. HOW THE HELL do you ban smoking OUTDOORS?? Does this idiot believe that since he has so much money, he owns the air in NYC?? He certainly bought himself a 3rd term after voting against it before he was Mayor...can u say HYPOCRITE?? Hey BLOOMSCUM, why don't you fly yourself in one of your personal jets to one of your vacation homes and NEVER come back.

September 16, 2010 at 18:53 | Report abuse |
    • Floris

Porland is the ***thole. It's wall-to-wall homeless drug addicts, there are no jobs and everyone is on welfare. To top it off, the people are sheep who are told what to eat, where to go and what to drive. You couldn't pay me enough to live in Portland.

September 16, 2010 at 22:34 | Report abuse |
    • Monty

September 16, 2010 at 23:11 | Report abuse |
    • jimdoesit

new york is not the top city anymore....I wanted to go there when i was kid/ teenager i heard they cleaned up time square. After that i never wanted to go.... all the things that make new york new york is pretty much gone...

September 16, 2010 at 23:17 | Report abuse |
    • MarcNJ

Gods, I love NYC!

September 16, 2010 at 23:28 | Report abuse |
    • Paul

GOOD...

As soon as I inhale second hand smoke my asthma kicks in and I can't breathe... I HATE SECOND HAND SMOKE

i try to avoid it.. but smokers don't care

BAN SMOKING PERIOD!

GO NY, GOOD LUCK!

September 16, 2010 at 23:40 | Report abuse |
    • TP123

A person's right to smoke does not trump my right to breath clean air!

September 16, 2010 at 23:42 | Report abuse |
    • bam

yeah as if cigarette smoke is even close to the exhaust stench of NYC.... who thought up this ban some soccer mom from upper state?

September 16, 2010 at 23:48 | Report abuse |
    • joe nyc

@jimdoesit
      we don't want you to come here.

September 17, 2010 at 00:01 | Report abuse |
    • Jeremiah

Seattles better! NYC is to big and way over priced. but on this topic im a smoker and i think its a good idea if someone wants to go to a park where theres trees and fresh air thats fine with me but dont get mad if i smoke on my property!

September 17, 2010 at 00:41 | Report abuse |
    • Chris

Here's my problem with these kind of laws. Bloomberg states, "The science is clear: prolonged exposure to secondhand smoke – whether you’re indoors or out – hurts your health." Now can I please get a definition of "prolonged" from a medical researcher?

Also, is this second hand smoke in a high enough concentration to cause any harm? Assuming every smoker in Manhattan was outside having a cigarette all at the same time, what would be the effect on the air in comparison to all of the other carcinogens and other chemicals be? I would wager the Statue of Liberty AND Battery Park, that the amount of toxins in the air is not primarily caused by a bunch of smokers. I'm all for certain laws restricting enclosed places banning smoking (especially places like museums where it can damage the art), but OUTSIDE? Come on. Get real.

September 17, 2010 at 01:30 | Report abuse |
    • methius

Wow, NYC! That is fukin lame! How progressive you have become then. Pat your self-righteous selves on the back!

September 17, 2010 at 02:46 | Report abuse |
    • Kozar

The cars and the buses are a necessity. The smokers who blow their shit in people's faces are not.

September 17, 2010 at 03:13 | Report abuse |
    • Lawrence

We'll get a smoking machine and put it in your home and see what it like to be in a family of smokers where my cousins, aunts, and parents smoke making thanksgiving a memorable event which includes a smoked turkey without a outdoor smoker. They always wonder why I wore old cloths because if I can't get the smoke out who care if I make them into rags. When there is so much smoke that if I took a test to see if I am a smoker I would fluke the test for Life Insurance.

September 17, 2010 at 04:33 | Report abuse |
    • neduke

Now this is too much goverment. Time to stop this and vote these idots out...

September 17, 2010 at 04:46 | Report abuse |
    • THETERP

Smoking should not be banned, but rather designated areas created for smokers and strickly enforced. I don't smoke, gave it up 35 years ago, but I do understand that smokers pay taxes too and should have some rights too. The smokers should also respect the non-smokers by smoking only specific locations. If they can't respect that then it should be banned.

September 17, 2010 at 05:46 | Report abuse |
    • Jason E

Exactly..ok folks..what is worse smoking a cigarette or smoking a tailpipe of a diesel truck? If you are worried about second hand smoke that is diffused by Earth then the cigarette is the least of your problems. It would take away a lot of freedom and make less than 1% difference in air quality of the world. I am not a smoker but see America as a country of freedom***

***some restrictions my apply see your local state for details.

September 17, 2010 at 06:37 | Report abuse |
    • Joe

25% of the u.s. population smoke's,what are the other 75% dying from?

September 17, 2010 at 07:23 | Report abuse |
    • kevin

GET BLOOMBERG OUT OF OFFICE HOW MANY RIGHT DOES IT TAKE TO BE TAKEN AWAY FROM US BEFORE PEOPLE STAND UP AND FIGHT FOR WHAT WE BELEAVE IN. STAND BEHIIND A BUS AND BREATH IT IN ITS MORE HARMFULL THAN SMOKING DOES HE THINK HE IS GOD. I DONT THINK SO HE BUYS HIS WAY INTO EVERYTHING ITS OUR RIGHT TO SMIOKE WERE AND WHEN EVER WE WANT ITS TIME TO STAND UP AGAINST THE CITY AND GOVERMENT AND TAKE BACK OUR RIGHTS AS US PEOPLE BORN AND RAISED HERE IF THEY WANT TO RULE THIS WAY THEY SHOULD GO TO CUBA

September 17, 2010 at 07:54 | Report abuse |
    • Brett Favre's fan (a.k.a. ybs)

We have come a long way but just visit China and you will see why we should ban outdoor smoking!

September 17, 2010 at 08:05 | Report abuse |
    • Lynn

I Know! That's my whole argument! No one complains about the carbon monoxide they breathe EVERY DAY in any city!!! I think this is a issue of who is more superior. Who has the power to control the actions of others just because they don't like the action... Also, I would really like for the tobacco companies to pay for nicotine patches for everyone who wants to quit!

September 17, 2010 at 09:50 | Report abuse |
    • Jay

This law has already been passed in Portland Maine and on all state property; many parks are alcohol free too! – though no ones handing out fines just yet – but you can be permanently banned. It sort of surprises me that New York would propose such a thing, I think very few people view New York as 'pristene' or a place to go to be healthy or stress free. In all honesty I think it would be best to keep the vast majority of these types of people in one place.

September 17, 2010 at 09:54 | Report abuse |
    • Greg

That's not a good scapegoat!

September 17, 2010 at 10:18 | Report abuse |
    • michael

WHAT?.....land of the free my A$$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what's next????...this is CRAZY!!!!!!

September 17, 2010 at 10:34 | Report abuse |
    • what freedom?

Why do we even say this is a free country? This is reduculous. I'm not even a smoker. I hate cigs but really?!?!?!?
      but there are way more carcinogens to worry about than second hand smoke in a park. I cant belive this is even a debate.
      Again I have a serious issue as to how we can say the US is a country or freedom.

September 17, 2010 at 11:34 | Report abuse |
    • Rob

Right.

Also, if you ban smoking in outdoor places, smokers will just smoke more at home, where their families will be breathing the smoke in a confined space.

September 17, 2010 at 12:36 | Report abuse |
    • CJ

@NYgirl

So now it is open mindedness to restrict peoples freedoms? Dogs, on a leash or not, loud people, fat people, people that smell, people talking and texting on cell phones... the list can go on of the people that cause a much greater problem than the 12% of the population that smoke, pass laws against all of the above first.

FYI i'm a non smoker, I just hate to watch others lose rights because next they may come after somethign i DO like that you don't. Selfish @#&%'s.

September 17, 2010 at 15:32 | Report abuse |
    • CJ

If they pass the law every smoker in NYC should band together and buy cigarettes in NJ. Save $4 a pack and watch all the ban supporters get their taxes raised to make up for the shortfall. just remember folks...it would be illegal for one guy to buy them in NJ then sell them in NY, I think you all can find a way to work around that.

September 17, 2010 at 15:39 | Report abuse |
    • truebob

Maybe if everyone who smoked didn't treat the rest of the world like one big ashtray it wouldn't have come to this. It is a filty habit and only filthy people would defend it.

September 17, 2010 at 16:22 | Report abuse |
    • Medic230

I haven't ever seen a smoker who does not throw their butt on the ground. Nearly every smoker is a stupid Dem, tree hugger hypocrite who talks of global warming and then lights-up and spews toxic fumes and discards a toxic butt. Smokers are insecure, self controless bo0bs. 50% are on some form of gubmit assisstance, yet can afford cigs. I see a smoker and immediately loose all respect for anything they say or do.

September 18, 2010 at 09:51 | Report abuse |
    • Cocoa

I THINK THEY SHOULD ALSO PASS A LAW TO PROHIBIT ALL VEHICLES ON THE STREET, WAIRING PERFUME OR COLOGNE.

THEY HAVE NO RIGHT TO INFRINGE ON MY RIGHT TO FREE CHOICE. I HAVE THE RIGHT TO CHOOSE TO SMOKE OR NOT SMOKE WHEREVER I CHOSE TO DO SO. THEY HAVE NO RIGHT TO TAKE AWAY MY PERSONAL RIGHTS.

September 18, 2010 at 12:14 | Report abuse |
    • Bobolink

Can any government own the very air? This is sheer nonsense. If Adult (over 21)people wish to smoke outdoors in Gods's own air, they should be able to do so.

September 18, 2010 at 22:44 | Report abuse |
    • kmagic

I agree. Let's see, what other things might people be doing at a park, beach or pedestrian mall that may be harmful to their health or others. The list is too long. Listening to ipod with ear buds, bad for their hearing. Listening to boom box, bad for others hearing, Drinking soda, a dentist's worst nightmare. Eating french fries, would you like some fat with that? Pop cans and fast food wrapper litter the landscape. Wearing a bikini of tight tank top, may offend some, lets ban them too. Riding a bike, could be dangerous. Talking on the cell, we know how distracting that can be, and why do you think I want to hear your conversations. Walking your dog, better pick up the poop or we will ban the pooches. Oh, and I may be allergic, Did you thing of that? What next? Tell big brother to go away. If your cigarette smoke is bothersome, I will move away from it. Problem solved.

September 19, 2010 at 10:46 | Report abuse |
    • Mark K .

i think a lot of the buses are running nat gas, taxis are starting to become hybrids and most take the trains anyway
      dont see the isssue here, but could see an argument for improvements

September 19, 2010 at 12:34 | Report abuse |
  2. Lori Anderson

I believe that if smokers would be more thoughtful and considerate about those around them that don't smoke then they wouldn't be in this situation. You can't avoid walking through their smoke when they are allowed to smoke outside of buildings because they either stand RIGHT next to the door or they stand upwind so that the smoke drifts into your personal space. I think they have brought this on themselves!

September 16, 2010 at 12:33 | Report abuse | Reply
    • shane

i live in Manhattan and it's incredibly annoying to have to walk behind a smoker on the sidewalk.. you say suck it up? no! get your smoke out of public spaces.. and there is a law that you can't smoke within a number of feet of a doorway.. needs to be enforced more.. i have asthma.... caused by my being under the WTC on 9/11.. and cigarette smoke literally takes my breath away.

September 16, 2010 at 13:37 | Report abuse |
    • justin

Then if we can't smoke indoors or out, don't tax us for it. And if we aren't taxed for our cigarettes, your taxes will go up to make up the difference. I agree with the doorway thing, but banning smoking outside is absurd. By the way, second hand smoke literally does not take your breath away. In fact if you show me a piece of scientifically proven evidence that second hand smoke is actually dangerous, Ill concede. The only EPA study that came out was in EPA and it was discredited and ended up with the EPA retracting the study.

September 16, 2010 at 14:11 | Report abuse |
    • Eve

I agree w/you. I'm so sick of smokers not even considering children! I hate going to amusement parks which are mainly for kids, and adults don't even care about them. It's really sad. I hope they do ban it. I feel if they want to smoke they should find the designated area in that park/place and do it there, not subject everyone to their second hand smoke.

September 16, 2010 at 15:01 | Report abuse |
    • Jeb

You are so used to smelling vehicle crap that you dont' even know it. A smoker will never put out as much as vehicles do, wake up.

September 16, 2010 at 15:24 | Report abuse |
    • nygirl

You know, just as I think I should be able to marry whom I want, and maintain control over my own body, I don't think the government should be able to regulate what I do out of doors. I understand restaurants, though I thought the bars were a bit much. As long as smoking is legal, you have the right to do it.

September 16, 2010 at 15:41 | Report abuse |
    • Troll

I don't think these laws have anything to do with courtesy; the excuse for them is to protect public health. They shouldn't ban smoking completely in the places the article mentions. It makes more sense to establish designated smoking areas in those places (that way, its easier for non-smokers to avoid second-hand smoke exposure). Having designated smoking areas might also help control cigarette-related litter (Although I doubt it; I've watched smokers who are standing right next to a cigarette disposal recepticle flick their cigarette into the street instead of putting it where it belongs.).

September 16, 2010 at 15:53 | Report abuse |
    • oh yea?

Public smoking is a nuisance but its not untolerable. They got it out of the restaurants, bars, etc – now THAT was irritating. I'm not a smoker (hate that habit) but I know there are bigger environmental concerns at play than second-hand smoke. While any change in the right direction is good change, I'd still rather something be done about the bigger global warming and environmental hazard-causing agents than worrying about second hand smoke.

September 16, 2010 at 16:04 | Report abuse |
    • macattack

Justin, you do need to do some research. Look up the affects of tobacco-specific nitrosamines (TSNA's). Basically the smoke reacts with the nitric acid found on furniture, making a carcinogen. And you know the what the result of a carcinogen is right? Took me two minutes to find articles on this by searching a database for medical journals. Did you also know that when Ireland banded smoking in bars (the first country in the world do do so), the saw between a 10% to 20% drop in acute coronary events. You might just think that this is because everybody smokes, of course. Well, bartenders also noted much better health as well. Going outdoors isnt a bad idea as well, considering how no one wants smoke blown in their face. Instead of telling us to "deal with it", maybe it will be you that New York will say "deal with it" when this is passed.

September 16, 2010 at 19:34 | Report abuse |
    • JACK

TO MACATTACK: THE ANSWER TO YOUR PROBLEM IS SIMPLE, QUIT LICKING THE FURNATURE.
      I DONT SMOKE, NEVER DID BUT SMOKING IS LEGAL AND BEING LEGAL PEOPLE SHOULD BE ABLE SO SMOKE OUTSIDE SINCE MANY CITIES HAVE BANNED SMOKING IN PUBLIC PLACES WHICH I DID NOT AGREE WITH EITHER, IF A PLACE WAS TO SMOKIE THEN I WOULD LEAVE OR NOT GO THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE.
      AMERICA IS FAST BECOMING A NATION OF CRY BABIES

September 16, 2010 at 23:22 | Report abuse |
    • Daved

Effing nation full of wimps. Just smoke.

September 17, 2010 at 00:29 | Report abuse |
    • Spartacus

HOW INCREDILY IGNORANT DOES ONE HAVE TO BE TO BLAME ONES POLITICAN'S OPRESSIVE AND COMMUNIST STUPIDITY ON SMOKERS?

September 17, 2010 at 00:32 | Report abuse |
    • Jeremiah

im smoking in my house better not outlaw that or there will be a protest.

September 17, 2010 at 00:43 | Report abuse |
    • sky

nygirl, you realize the ONLY reason smoking is legal is because it was grandfathered in right?! same with alcohol.

September 17, 2010 at 01:49 | Report abuse |
    • sprinkles

One more thing. How about we all try and act like we are intelligent adults. Calling someone an idiot or insulting others or their city are not strong arguments. Both sides are guilty of immaturity. If you can't make a decent argument or comment why bother writing anything?

September 17, 2010 at 01:49 | Report abuse |
    • thegeorge

September 17, 2010 at 04:00 | Report abuse |
    • Lawrence

Here in Kansas City they can't smoke within 100 feet of a door but that does not stop them in the Winter. The first thing a smoke does when he/she comes out of the door of a department store is Light up and when he/she reaches the car they put them out. That can add up to a lot of money being wasted for just a few puffs. Smoking was to be a relaxed and fun thing to do. Just sit back after dinner with one and drink some coffee or something and that its. Now, they have to have it on their breaks, lunches, or while talking on their cell phone outdoors because their home does not allow smoking.

September 17, 2010 at 04:38 | Report abuse |
    • Jason E

Lori..that is what you need to make laws on..not the fact that smokers are smoking outside but rather make laws on how to smoke outside. Just as you said, there are stupid people that don't give a damn but only about themselves. We have to make Laws that are reflective of the immediate problem. Swatting a fly from a friends forehead with a baseball bat might kill the fly. Humm...It did kill the fly!

September 17, 2010 at 06:51 | Report abuse |
    • D.Powell

Yes Lori and that perfume you wear is offensive. OMG !! your fat@ss is also offensive. So we should ban the perfume you wear and chips and soda. Also fat people should not be allowed outside unless they are covered from head to toe.Cellulite is repulsive as well. Oh and no people with pimples "nasty" After all you brought it on yourself. You should watch what you eat
      and wash your face more often. Keep your dog in your yard too don't walk him on the sidewalks are in the parks. I can go on and on but I think you get it by now. Everyone can find offensive things to complain about. Cigs now what will be next?

September 19, 2010 at 21:24 | Report abuse |
  3. Cieje Valentine

I don't smoke, and I find this to be total Bovine Excrement. They shouldn't have the power to stop people from smoking by LAW. Individuals, businesses, and other entities should be able to make their OWN decisions!

September 16, 2010 at 12:35 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Lara

It's true. The law should not be able to stop people from smoking, and the minute there's a law that says you can't smoke in your own home, I'll be behind you in rallying against it. In a public place, your rights end where the rights of the next person begin.

September 16, 2010 at 13:34 | Report abuse |
    • Val

Ummm they're not telling anyone to stop smoking, they're trying to stop people from smoking in PUBLIC. Why should I, a non-smoker, be subjected to another person's disgusting, lethal habit, indoors or outdoors? And Lara, in a public place, your rights end when your actions have a potentially harmful effect on another person. If you want to smoke, that's your business, but don't do it around other people.

September 16, 2010 at 14:38 | Report abuse |
    • austin

yup u got that right its crazzy

September 16, 2010 at 17:24 | Report abuse |
    • Paul

Here is the problem with smoking....

The smoke... hurts people who aren't smoking.... YOU ARE HURTING ME and I'M NOT SMOKING YOU MORON!

THAT SUCKS FOR ME.... NOT FAIR...

MAKE A CIGARETTE THAT MAKES THE SMOKE GO INTO YOU NOT ME!

WHY CAN'T YOU SMOKERS UNDERSTAND YOUR SMOKE AFFECTS NOT JUST YOUR DUMB BUTTS?!!?!?!?!

September 16, 2010 at 23:52 | Report abuse |
    • thegeorge

When NYC banned spitting on the street the slobs objected the result was a cleaner city, When NYC banned dogs from crapping on the street the slobs objected but the result was you no longer have to worry about stepping in dog poop on the street. Banning smoking out doors will have the same effect: The SLOBS will object but the result will be a cleaner city; NO SMOKE NO LITTER because if you notice: TO PEOPLE (SLOBS) WHO SMOKE THE WORLD IS THEIR ASH TRAY. They drive their cars with their arm out the window holding a cigarette because they don't want the stink in their cars then they flick the butt into the street when they are finished. S L O B S!!

September 17, 2010 at 04:07 | Report abuse |
    • Megan

While I don't know how the situation is in NYC, when the heck did we become such wimps? Unless you have asthma, 1/2 a second of second hand smoke isn't going to freakin' kill you. Whine more, people, because it's really charming.

September 17, 2010 at 10:32 | Report abuse |
  4. Cieje Valentine

Gee, if only they could make being a JERK illegal. That way we could arrest ALL of New York! LOL!!

September 16, 2010 at 12:43 | Report abuse | Reply
    • BitOfReality

You, Cieje are an idiot

September 16, 2010 at 13:11 | Report abuse |
    • Kanon

"You, Cieje, are an idiot."

You forgot your punctuation, idiot.

September 16, 2010 at 23:05 | Report abuse |
    • Paul

Cieje....

You're pretty stupid

September 16, 2010 at 23:57 | Report abuse |
  5. Hawkeye

I think this is great and should be put into place in all the states. My personal experience is that most smokers don't give a S@#* about the rest of us and the negative impact it will cause. I watch smokers everyday drive down the road and flick their nasty butts out the windows. If you keep your nasty habit to yourself and don't impose it on the rest of us, laws like these would not be made.

September 16, 2010 at 12:55 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Uncle Beasley

Yes, some smokers are pretty oblivious, and other are downright arrogant about imposing their exhaust on others. But I wouldn't use the word "most." In fact, I think the majority of smokers have come around to understanding that non-smokers really, really don't like being "smoked on." Smokers are, on average, as considerate and understanding as non-smokers, and most will respect your space if asked politely. I'm kind of a rabid non-smoker myself, and I've never had the habit to quit it, either.

September 16, 2010 at 15:07 | Report abuse |
  6. down with cigarettes

As a former smoker of 16 years who was freed fromthe shackles of tobacco bychantix, I must say I support this move 200%., though it would be far more effective to ban cigarretes across the board at a federal level....if we are actually going to have a serious and productive national discourse on reducing costs of healtghcare, cigarettes should our first target.

Big tobacco can very easily trasnlate their business into tobacco based ethanol production which Italian scientists have proven canbe done at less cost than corn and with better rsults (by product of tobacco conversioninto ethanol is 100% protein). Jobs could actusally be exapnded rather than lost through a ban on consumer tobacco usage.

And to those who whine about their personal freedomes being violated, you are violating my personal freedome by blowing your skank smoke into my face on the sidewalk. The next time it happens, I am taking a beeotch down.

September 16, 2010 at 13:01 | Report abuse | Reply
    • justin

You're a hypocrite. You did it for 16 years, and because you stopped, everyone else should? Lets meet up so I can exhale a carton in your face. BREAK IT!

September 16, 2010 at 13:06 | Report abuse |
    • amazed

Always amazed by how incessed people get (one way or the other). We live in the greatest country in the world. We've helped out other nations during/after wars, after natural and man-made disasters. We've put men on the moon, yet we trashtalk about taking a "beotch down" for smoking outside. I personally don't want our government to tell me where a person can smoke, or eat candy, or drink soda – it IS about our rights. At the least, we should be able to come to some compromise without sacrificing a most important right – the right to choose.

September 16, 2010 at 13:41 | Report abuse |
    • Denizen Kate

I smoked from the age of 14 until a few years ago, but I don't have the right to make life style choices for anyone but myself, and neither do you. Former smokers are often the most militant anti-smokers. You're like a born-again Christian, all excited that you've seen the light and wanting everyone else to see it, too. Get over yourself and stop preaching.

September 16, 2010 at 15:57 | Report abuse |
    • Denizen Kate

By the way, proofread much? Your spelling is terrible.

September 16, 2010 at 15:59 | Report abuse |
    • Troll

From what I've seen, the majority of smokers aren't being deliberately rude, just oblivious. My biggest complaint about smokers is that they seem to think the world is their ashtray. I've seen too many people smoking while waiting for the bus go out of their way to flip their butts into the street rather than just drop them into the ashtray at the bus stop.

September 16, 2010 at 16:09 | Report abuse |
    • Kathleen

Then don't reap the benefit from the tax dollars generated by cigarette taxes paid by smokers. I hate drunks, so I say NYC should ban anybody that looks slightly intoxicated. If you want to get drunk, then do it inside your home ONLY. Sounds ridiculous, doesn't it?? Just like this proposed ban...........

September 16, 2010 at 17:51 | Report abuse |
    • JACK

YOU COULD NOT AFFORD THE RESULT OF A TOBACCO BAN, WHERE WOULD THE GOVERMENT GET THE MONEY TO REPLACE THE BILLIONS IN LOST TAXES, OR AS A RESULT OF A TOBACCO FREE WORLD PEOPLE WOULD LIVE LONGER MEANING GREATER COST TO THE MEDICARE AND MEDICAID AND SOCAL SECURITY PROGRAMS AND JUST WHERE DO YOU FIGURE THESE BILLIONS OF DOLLARS IN ADDITIONAL COST WOULD COME FROM?

September 16, 2010 at 23:26 | Report abuse |
  7. barbara crisci

OK NY IS SO HARD ON SMOKERS BUT DAM THEY SHOULD ONLY BE HARDER ON DRINKING WHILE DRIVING THATS WHAT KILLS OTHER PEOPLE WHY THEY SO WORRIED ABOUT THE AIR IN NY IS SMELLS AS IT IS

September 16, 2010 at 13:02 | Report abuse | Reply
    • John

What is ironic about the government's constantly targeting smokers and cigarette companies is that NY probably makes more off cigarette taxes then any tobacco company makes off cigarettes, yet the smoker and the tabacco company are the one demonized.

I think the anti-smoking hysteria has gone far enough, either ban then completely or leave smokers alone, although in order to ban then they will need to figure out a way to make up the billions of dollars in taxes collected on them each year.

September 16, 2010 at 15:17 | Report abuse |
    • Troll

Smoking isn't as socially acceptable as it once was; people are starting to see it as a disgusting bad habit rather than as a pleasant past time. That makes it an easy target to tax and demonize.

September 16, 2010 at 16:13 | Report abuse |
  8. Jeremy

This would be great... Every time I try to walk around one person smoking, I'm greeted by ANOTHER person who is blowing smoke in my face. Perhaps smokers don't realize this act is repulsive to those who have chosen not to smoke?

September 16, 2010 at 13:06 | Report abuse | Reply
    • justin

No, we mostly just don't care.

September 16, 2010 at 13:08 | Report abuse |
    • Lara

And, justin, that's why we wind up having to legislate you into acting like a human.

September 16, 2010 at 13:35 | Report abuse |
    • justin

Lara that was what us non-humans call sarcasm. And if you need to regulate it, you need to ban drinking so that people don't drive drunk, ban hot dog vendors for everyone who is bothered by the smell of hotdogs and ban just about anything else that anyone has a problem with. Dont be silly, Lara...you have to be smarter than that. ...and if not, you should be banned from giving opinions.

September 16, 2010 at 13:45 | Report abuse |
    • Troll

Its not ignorance so much as obliviousness. Smokers aren't the only guilty party there; people who eat sunflower seeds often spit the husks out on the sidewalk without a thought as to who they're grossing out (or possibly pelting with spit-covered seed husks).

September 16, 2010 at 16:23 | Report abuse |
    • doit

Or they see what a douche bag you really are and do it to you intentionally.

September 16, 2010 at 23:51 | Report abuse |
    • razorback

well said Justin. Lets ban everything so nobody will be offended by anything. The whole issue of second hand smoke may have some validity, but given the exhaust fumes from vehicles in NYC, I would think it was relatively minor. Let's make everyone walk everywhere, and then we can work on the next thing.

September 17, 2010 at 01:07 | Report abuse |
    • buttoutgovernment

Absolutely. It is clearly the government's role to outlaw anything that annoys you.

September 17, 2010 at 07:01 | Report abuse |
    • Sharon Hughes

I totally agree, it's a disgusting habit. If you want to smoke – you should not expect to do it around people who do not smoke. There's a lot of talk about trucks, diesel, etc. and I agree but smoking is simply a bad habit, not a mode of transport – and those who do it need to respect the rest of us don't want to suck in their second hand smoke. Period. We should not have to.

I live in Canada, and in Vancouver it's just been passed on City property – so beaches, parks, etc. It just became law (like Sept. 7th or something) so I am not sure if there are designated areas, but I know the ban passed.

September 17, 2010 at 21:36 | Report abuse |
  9. Blplunk

I really don't understand why the government doesn't just outlaw cigarettes alltogether at this point! Oh, that's right, they want our tax money!! As I smoker I can see the benefit of not smoking indoors and have no problem with those bans, but OUTDOORS now too? Next thing you know we won't be able to smoke in our OWN HOMES! Since drinking & driving also poses a health risk to those around us, maybe we should also ban drinking in public places? That way no one has to drive home drunk... Those of you that are non-smokers that support this kind of action better watch out, the next ban might include something you enjoy... just a thought.

September 16, 2010 at 13:10 | Report abuse | Reply
    • justin

Amen!

September 16, 2010 at 13:22 | Report abuse |
    • Lara

Have you heard of any legislation on the table that would ban you from smoking in your own home? Have you heard of anyone who supports this? I haven't. You do realize that when you are in public places, there are other people around you, right?

September 16, 2010 at 13:36 | Report abuse |
    • justin

Yes, there is currently legislature on the table trying to ban smoking from your own house. Prop 92. Look it up.

September 16, 2010 at 14:05 | Report abuse |
    • dezzie

Because it would then disable another money making export industry for the US continuing the increase of unemployment figures.

September 16, 2010 at 15:21 | Report abuse |
    • Deb

I hope that smoking becomes illegal someday! It is detrimental to my health, unlike other bad habits.

September 17, 2010 at 00:25 | Report abuse |
    • Kyle

Um, hate to rain on your tirade, but drinking in public is illegal. Has been for years, it's why people often carry around bottles in brown paper bags (actually, i think in NY having alcohol in public is legal if it's in a bag).

September 17, 2010 at 01:08 | Report abuse |
  10. Skinny Girl

Yet fat people and their fat children continue to be served at restraunts! If you think second hand smoke will make you sick or kill you. The obesity rate in this country is higher than the smokers.

September 16, 2010 at 13:23 | Report abuse | Reply
    • regular girl

I don't see your logic.... Fat people are not harming anyone but themselves.... they don't affect anyone else.... second hand smoke affects non smokers.....total strangers

September 16, 2010 at 15:04 | Report abuse |
    • nygirl

I have never seen legitimate proof of that. One EPA study that they later retracted?

September 16, 2010 at 15:44 | Report abuse |
    • Guests

Regular Girl, complications due to obesity have well surpassed smoking as the number one killer in this country. You claim "Fat people are not harming anyone but themselves..." Really? One very large part of the reason we pay so much for health care comes from the costs insurers and health care providers pass on to us due to the increased costs of treating cardiovascular problems associated with obesity. Now we're all going to pay more taxes and higher health care cost due to the choices of someone else. So who's affecting us more, the smoker who stands outside of a building and annoys 100 people with their addiction? Or the many millions of obese who super size themselves everyday at the expense of those who understand and practice basic self control? That's an oversimplified generalization, but given you don't see much logic beyond your own self absorbed opinion of your views, I need to get drastic to penetrate the stone helmet you call your skull. I'll support the ban on smoking in public places, when you support the food rationing for those who can't control themselves.

September 16, 2010 at 23:31 | Report abuse |
    • doit

Honestly seeing fat people causes me to regurgitate a bit in my throat, which is a proven way to get cancer. I think there should be a public weight limit. It would be easier to get around, and airplanes would be more fuel efficient.

September 16, 2010 at 23:56 | Report abuse |
    • Deb

Fat people do not harm anyone but themselves.

September 17, 2010 at 00:27 | Report abuse |
    • justin

Fat people give me reflux.

September 17, 2010 at 09:35 | Report abuse |
    • Sharon Hughes

Obesity definitely causes all kinds of health issues, which cost health care companies billions, I agree, but those fat people will just eat at home, or whatever – the point is while they are eating in a restaurant, they are not sending poisonous fumes into the air that others are breathing in. And that's the plain truth about smoking whether smokers like it or not.

September 17, 2010 at 21:47 | Report abuse |
    • TK

We really should not put the only two things guaranteed out of life in the same category. I've never heard of death due by paying too high taxes. Smoking/Secondhand smoke on the other hand, whether you want to admit it or not, is killer. Major Bloomberg is simply trying to protect the people of NYC only in 'public places' by enforcing cleaner air. I think your losing focus. We should not ridicule a man for taking a stand for the people, especially one that takes a stand for better health!

September 24, 2010 at 07:13 | Report abuse |
  11. Roy Martin

Get this. I have smoked for over 48 years of PRIMARY smoke and I have no issues from smoking PRIMARY smoke. That equals to 27 miles of smoking over the years. If you are going to get a problem from secondary smoke, you were going to get it anyway! Get it!!!! Do you really think that second hand smoke will kill you? No, your own body will kill you. Second hand smoke in most cases will not affect you until you are nearly 140 years old, that is, if you don't die because of your own body before. Anyone that makes a big deal over smokers needs to get a life a life and find something else to belly ache about. Smoking in the park will not impact the invironment or people 1/1,000,000 that of bus, car exhaust, and campfires. Go figure....Pathetic people pushing this issue!!!

September 16, 2010 at 13:25 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Lara

Roy, you are 174.3% better than most at making up statistics! Congrats!

September 16, 2010 at 13:37 | Report abuse |
    • JACK

I KNOW IT WONT HAPPEN BUT IT WOULD BE FUN TO SEE ALL TOBACCO REFUSE TO SELL TOBACCO IN THE STATE OF NEW YORK, AFTER A COUPLE MONTHS OF TOBACCO FREE/TAX FREE ENVIORMENT THE STATE AND CITY GOVERMENTS WILL START CRYING LIKE A BABY AND ASKING THE FEDS FOR ANOTHER BAIL OUT

September 16, 2010 at 23:35 | Report abuse |
    • Deb

Now that you have bragged about having no issues from smoking all these years, watch you get COPD or lung cancer.

September 17, 2010 at 00:30 | Report abuse |
    • Pablo

"Do you really think that second hand smoke will kill you? No, your own body will kill you." I totally just spit water on my screen that was sooo funny. I am gonna use this as my new email signature line Roy! Epic FAILURE of logic.

September 17, 2010 at 15:34 | Report abuse |
  12. Ricky Pierce

Does anyone remember prohibition? I am sure there a few who can recall the backlash from it. There are still a few people who enjoy and need this habit just as there are those who are offended by someone who drinks a lot much any alcohol at all. I do care to be near anyone who reeks of excess alcohol. I can go along with the smoking ban inside but it is going too far. One habit replaces another. I grew up with a father who smoked cigars and cigarettes and a grandfather who chewed tobacco. If you go to a bar and want it banned that is one thing but to ban it completely is getting obssessive. There a lot more things and habits that offend people just as well. I am sorry that the tobacco manufacturers lied about what they did. Oh yes, then there was Patrick Reynolds who went down on the tobacco companies. Oh yes, did anyone know that his father left him out of his final will. He also had a trust whiich came from tobacco money. There also the reformed smokers who are such hypocrites. Tobacco also provides a huge amount taxes so get off of it Michael Bloomberg!!

September 16, 2010 at 13:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Id

If this is to be done then there needs to be a level of consistency. Since smoking causes health risks to those nearby they are deciding it shouldn't be permitted in public areas. Fine. If automobile exhaust causes respiratory distress in those who are of ill health then operating an automobile anywhere near a pedestrian sidewalk shouldn't be permitted. Walking around in public areas while you're suffering from an Influenze Virus shouldn't be permitted.

I'm not saying that smoking in people's faces is right. But an outright ban on smoking outdoors is tyrannical and impractical. That warrants us placing bans on anything that is carcinogenic, debilitating, and/or contagious. Perhaps both sides of the argument, smokers and non-smokers, should discuss some form of compromise that doesn't lead to an all out radical action?

September 16, 2010 at 13:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. larrywi

Same state that re-nominated ole charile Rangel! Although I am totaly against second hand smoke, i think thiis one is going a bit to far!

September 16, 2010 at 13:32 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Sharon S.

If the Government wants to tell me I cannot smoke outside, they need to retun all of the taxes that are imposed on cigarette purchases. Ditto to the thought that all of the automoble exhaust is less menacing than cigarette smoke. The next thing you know, we will all be wearing burkas!

September 16, 2010 at 13:37 | Report abuse | Reply
    • monica

Tottally agree

September 16, 2010 at 14:25 | Report abuse |
    • Pablo

if the burka fits....

September 17, 2010 at 15:36 | Report abuse |
  16. jim

do smokers not have rights i can understand the inside ban on smoking but outdoors please it's one of the many reasons i left new york it's quickly becoming san fran of the east

September 16, 2010 at 13:38 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. monica

Maybe they should put a law in place to stop the use of pesticides, and all the other toxins that is put into our food

September 16, 2010 at 13:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Fred

I thought we were at war overseas spreading "freedom and democracy" all the while eliminating ours here at home. I'm not a smoker nor do I care to be one, however I will die defending your right to do what you want with your body as long as you don't bother me. 2nd hand smoke should take a back seat to freedom. Why don't they concentrate on pollution...oh wait..that would cost too much money. It's easier to eliminate peoples civil liberties.

September 16, 2010 at 13:59 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Magnum1

I have been a cigarette smoker for over forty years and have went to the USMC to preserve all of the rights of Americans to freely choose and be safe. I have never felt so harassed or discriminated against just because I choose to smoke cigarettes. Causual second hand smoke in an outdoor setting will not harm anyone. There are so many toxins in the cities that can harm a person and people still choose to harass the smokers. Nobody in the Wrld should have any right to push their personal beliefs onto others like the smoking issues. The Mayor of New York has not the right to use the office of Mayor to push his personal brliefs onto any citizen in the City. This is totally a personel affair and should not be any buisness of our Governments. Please stop harassing us smokers and treat us like we have rights here too!

September 16, 2010 at 14:03 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Lily

I agree. I'm so tired of people whining about a few seconds of exposure to smoke when they approach a building. You're not going to get cancer in those few seconds, so shut up. And if you're not complaining about the diesel exhaust and industrial pollution that is known to harm people, animals, and the environment, you have no right to whine about smokers.

September 16, 2010 at 15:33 | Report abuse |
  20. timsaint

Fred you are completely right. how many people get sick from smog and pollution? Next we should make it illegal to drive a car within 20ft of a park...

September 16, 2010 at 14:09 | Report abuse | Reply
    • john

ya tim your right your the beez neez

September 16, 2010 at 14:10 | Report abuse |
  21. Howie

I'm not a smoker, but this is crazy! Second hand smoke is a problem indoors when you can't get away from it. Outside, the puff of smoke from a smokers lungs dissipates almost instantly. Yes, those walking by may smell it, but be real, you are not getting a lungful of unwanted smoke. Just another case of the PC nazis trying to take over the world.

September 16, 2010 at 14:15 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Jeannine

I am a non smoker, but I am more fearful of drivers who are drinking or texting.

September 16, 2010 at 14:19 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. bill

Hitler lives, he just changed his name to Bloomburg

September 16, 2010 at 14:23 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. mom of two

This is one idea I am totally for. After trying to sit in bleachers to watch a youth group dance and having to move because of one person who had no respect for the rest of us lighting up now I back all bans. Toddlers, infants and all of us were forced to inhale his smoke or not watch our children perform.

September 16, 2010 at 14:23 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Troll

Did you try telling him the smoke was bothering you and politely ask him to move until he finished his cigarette? I find that most smokers are more than willing to accomodate you so long as you're polite about it.

September 16, 2010 at 16:55 | Report abuse |
    • Kevin

Your error is in degree – "any" ban. To be clear, I'm referring to a formal logical fallacy; this is not a personal attack. You're taking one situation and applying it to all others without considering each. In fact, that's the definition of a prejudice. The brain does prejudge, and sometimes it helps you stay alive, but please don't let it get out of hand.

You've made a good argument that smoking should be banned in outdoor stadia. I thought it already was, actually, but the jerk should at least have had the courtesy to move to the furthest down-wind position before lighting up. Attitude, and therefore manners, cannot be effectively legislated; therefore fine, no smoking in the bleachers.

What I'd like to hear are constructive proposals. In fact, f**k me, your Congressweasel needs to hear them.

For instance, and addressing the complaint at hand, an example proposed law:

a) Smoking shall be banned in the seating areas, food vending areas, and restrooms of all entertainment venues including outdoor venues, and along all walkways thereto.

b) The venue must provide and maintain at least two areas where smoking is allowed. These areas shall be situated at the outer perimeter of the venue proper, and include sanitary facilities for ash and butt disposal.

c) Only those smoking areas downwind of the venue proper may be opened for use. When the wind direction is unstable, the selection of open area(s) shall be left to the venue's discretion.

d) A least one smoking area must be available for use at all times.

End (feeble?) attempt at amateur lawmaking.

"Smoking is prohibited except in designated areas" would sound a lot friendlier if those "designated areas" actually existed.

Someone mentioned that we've long outlawed relieving one's bodily wastes in public. Nobody seems to pick up on the fact that all homes, workplaces, and entertainment venues are legally required to provide adequate toilet facilities.

Is the existence of smoking areas really all THAT much to ask for?

September 16, 2010 at 21:33 | Report abuse |
  25. Michael

I've never been a smoker and I think this is ridiculous. They can't smoke outside? Give me a fxxxin' break!

September 16, 2010 at 14:30 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Blondegeisha

not a smoker either and I agree with you. If it offends you that much walk around them.

September 16, 2010 at 22:10 | Report abuse |
  26. Maltheus

Grew up in NY. Glad to be gone. The whole state is made up of a bunch of whiny little girls. Everyone is a law breaker because everything is illegal.

September 16, 2010 at 14:32 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. Lorena317

Your freedom ends where my nose begins. There is nothing wrong with smoking as long as you are not hurting others health with your secondhand smoke. Many smokers need to be more considerate of those around them.

September 16, 2010 at 14:33 | Report abuse | Reply
    • dezzie

What about people that wear too much perfume or don't shower? Both of those thing are offensive and have a negative impact on my nose and breathing. Can we get a law to stop that too?

September 16, 2010 at 15:34 | Report abuse |
    • daniel

Lorena,

I am alergic to most perfumes. Do you wear perfume in public, or in an elevator?

September 17, 2010 at 07:01 | Report abuse |
  28. This is a legal product

as is liquor. I say lets ban drinking alcohol, inside and outside, it is a leading cause of accidental death (and stupidity). Most smokers do try to be considerate of others, but when you see a group of smokers and you walk right up to them and go ugh and wave your hands, why didnt you just not walk near them??? It seems to me that you nonsmokers LIKE to bitch, makes you feel superior. As long as this is a legal product, there should be no laws against its use in a non threatening situation (IE outdoors). Question for nonsmokers in casinos–why do you sit down next to a person who is in a smoking area, and complain?????there are smoke free areas at every casino. I try to be considerate of non smokers when i sit down, why dont you stay away from them if you hate it so much?

September 16, 2010 at 14:37 | Report abuse | Reply
    • nygirl

Um no. Alcohol is awesome. The Christian right would be so much less annoying if they had a big glass of whiskey.

September 16, 2010 at 15:46 | Report abuse |
    • Toby

This is a legal product

September 17, 2010 at 02:05 | Report abuse |
  29. Robert

How about instead of just saying where a person can't smoke, they create legislation that just says where I can smoke? I understand non smokers viewpoint, but at the same time – I AM a smoker and I'm not going to decide to give that up anytime soon. As long as it's legal to smoke I will smoke. I am considerate of non smokers though and try to keep my smoking to my property and designated smoking areas. Sometimes though finding an area designated is extremely hard. One company I worked for (defense contractor) banned smoking on the entire property. It was a PAIN to leave the property to smoke, but I still did and I ended up smoking MORE because I knew it would be a bit before my next one. If they had simply just put a single spot to smoke it would have been much easier.

September 16, 2010 at 14:37 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Blondegeisha

Interesting point Robert. As a non smoker and an employee of a large suburban hospital that banned smoking on the hospital campus I have to say that since this "ban" has been put into effect the hospital grounds are littered with butts. Before this the hospital provided designated smoking areas(gazebos) where smokers could go. The employees were very faithful in using the designated areas and the grounds were clean. Supposedly any hospital employee can be terminated if caught smoking on the grounds,however I have not seen any of the "paying customers" being told to stop smoking no matter where they are.

September 16, 2010 at 22:17 | Report abuse |
  30. thatguy

Why would smokers care about your health when obvisously they don't care about their own health.

September 16, 2010 at 14:42 | Report abuse | Reply
  31. tvdog

What is next? If health concerns are the reason to take away rights of others then the state will need to dictate certain hygiene issues. I have been in public places where the smell of unwashed bodies would bring tears to your eyes and no telling what kind of germs are being spread by some of these people. How about bad breath and what about older men and women who wear enough cologne or perfume to poison a dog. When will all of this PC end? For every study that says something is bad for you there are multiple studies saying the opposite.

September 16, 2010 at 14:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. vanessa barringer

Ok smokers if it passes let's all go to new york and smoke they can't arrest us all!
    What a bunch of jerks they might think they own us but they don't own the air! Vote em out!

September 16, 2010 at 14:57 | Report abuse | Reply
  33. dawnalublu

Have the powers that be thought of which tax they will raise (or new tax they will come up with) to pay for the overtime hours that will be needed for the NYPD to actually enforce this law to be? I believe those officers have enough to do.

September 16, 2010 at 15:02 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Troll

Obviously, they'll just increase the tax on cigarettes & cigars. It seems like its easier to increase taxes on tobacco products than on most other things, and they can rationalize it by claiming its the smokers' fault that the burden on the police has increased. Additionally, they'll require a special RFID identifier chip be installed in every pack of cigarettes & cigars sold in NY. This way, police can scan the packs people carry and bust anyone buying from out of state (and thereby dodging the higher tax).

September 16, 2010 at 17:04 | Report abuse |
    • Nived

[...] Case Shiller retproed last Tuesday that national home prices were up for the first time in three years and Portland was up as well.  I wrote about that last week. [...]

February 1, 2012 at 01:19 | Report abuse |
    • wqlqzkkb

2PGYek cpredywrvezp

February 3, 2012 at 13:18 | Report abuse |
    • nlwxisndrg

nl7Jqz osikgsgonbpv

February 6, 2012 at 04:22 | Report abuse |
  34. Nofets

Soooo.... If I smoke in my car, with the windows down, would I be breaking a law?

September 16, 2010 at 15:04 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Troll

Only if you're driving through a park, marina, or one of the other places mentioned in the article.

September 16, 2010 at 17:05 | Report abuse |
  35. Tom

will tehy smoke in the 9-11 Mosque...get your head out of you a$$ New york!

September 16, 2010 at 15:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. brian

I don't smoke, but the idea of banning smoking outdoors is RIDICULOUS. seriously wtf. I hate to sound like a member of the tea party but this is America right? All these bans and regulations are turning people into huge pussies.

September 16, 2010 at 15:19 | Report abuse | Reply
  37. Boka

I think smoking is disgusting. The smell is totally gross. I am in favor of banning in public places and even apartments. If the nic heads would use smokeless cigs than that would be best. Or smoking booths would be appropriate too.

September 16, 2010 at 15:26 | Report abuse | Reply
    • JACK

BOKA: HERES AN IDEA, PUT YOU IN A SMOKE FREE BOOTH SO YOU WILL NOT BE EXPOSED TO SECOND HAND SMOKE

September 16, 2010 at 23:42 | Report abuse |
  38. Rog4Cannabis

What I don't understand, with the known dangers of smoking, why hasn't the government made Tobacco a Schedule I Controlled Substance just like Heroin?

The DEA can seek out violators as part of their War On Drugs campaign, violators will be easily known by their smell. Communities will reap billion$ from the property forfeitures and incarcerations. One final thought, just think of all the childrens lives that will be saved by not having Tobacco products available in the stores.

Making Tobacco a Schedule I narcotic would save so much in the long run.

September 16, 2010 at 15:27 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Troll

Why not encourage smokers towards using e-cigarettes? The FDA disputes whether the e-cigarette is more healthful for the smoker, but it definitely eliminates the 2nd hand smoke health risks & the objectionable odor.

September 16, 2010 at 17:10 | Report abuse |
  39. michael owens

yes, let's not stop at just cigarette smoke but all vehicular exhausts. exhausts from heating your home. exhaust and ignorance from our political leaders that think there is no global warming. the hot and foul air eminating from our congress and senate. the hateful discourse that is leading this country (and the world) down the drain.

September 16, 2010 at 15:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  40. rellasmom

can we ban the perfume that people seem to bathe in too? If we ban smokers for health reasons, perfumes should be on that list also. perfumes set off more allergies then a camel. AND, that smell in a line of waiting people does not EVER go away. Smoke will be gone in seconds.

September 16, 2010 at 15:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  41. Dianne

I am a smoker and I would agree with the banding of smoking in any public place if in those same places alcohol in any form is band also. I have never heard of a person smoking then getting in a car and killing someone. With alcohol it happens everyday. Why oses the mayor not address this?

September 16, 2010 at 15:29 | Report abuse | Reply
    • dom625

This issue will never be addressed because far more people drink than smoke. I find it completely unfair that tobacco is banned from advertising on television but alcohol commercials showing people partying are on every few minutes. Alcohol causes way more injuries each year than cigarettes do, but because such a large segment of the population drinks, the government is okay with that.

September 16, 2010 at 16:00 | Report abuse |
    • Troll

Cigarettes are less of a hazard that alcohol when driving, but cigarettes have been the indirect cause of fatal accidents (there are 3 accounts I've heard of where a head-on collision on the highway was caused by a smoker dropping their cigarette, bending down to get it, and not seeing that they're about to crash until too late). People throwing cigarettes out their car windows also set several wildfires each year.

September 16, 2010 at 17:16 | Report abuse |
    • JACK

I ALSO FIND ANYTHING ABOVE A WHISPER OFFENSIVE SO LETS BAN ALL TALK ABOVE A WHISPER IN PUBLIC PLACES ALSO INCLUDE LOUD MUSIC, LAUGHING AND YELLING KIDS. TO HELL WITH THE FIRST AMENDMENT. THE LAW CAN BE PASSED UNDER THE EXCUSE OF NOISE POLLUTION.
      WHILE WE ARE AT IT WHY NOT BAN ANY WOMAN WHO WEIGHS MORE THAN 140 POUNDS FROM THE BEACHES AND PUBLIC POOLS THIS LAW CAN BE PASSED UNDER THE EXCUSE OF EYE POLLUTION

September 16, 2010 at 23:52 | Report abuse |
  42. brian

I think it is hilarious the guy with cannabis in his name is for making tobacco illegal. Pot has many more carcinogens than tobacco smart guy. I think they should ban idiots from posting comments on the internet.

September 16, 2010 at 15:33 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Scott

Did you really just assert that pot has more carcinogens than cigs? That is the most idiotic thing i have ever read. There wouldn't be medical marijuana if marijuana caused cancer. Cigs have a ridiculous myriad of shit in them that can harm your body but marijuana is GIVEN TO CANCER PATIENTS DURING CHEMOTHERAPY.

September 17, 2010 at 12:54 | Report abuse |
  43. Gary

I disagree with the smoking ban.. Smoking was permitted almost anywhere once upon a time, but now the smokers been pushed outside. What, now thats not good enough? I understand that the non-smokers shouldn't have to breathe it in, but then again smokers has rights too. Give the smokers a break, at least we are outside, whats next? Ban smoking in our own homes???

September 16, 2010 at 15:44 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Troll

There actually is some legislation trying to do just that, but only for those in low income (government supplemented) housing.

September 16, 2010 at 17:17 | Report abuse |
  44. ElPasoan1

I'm not a smoker, but it's getting to be that all of our personal fredoms are under attack. I would love to see an article about how these people want our military personnel to stop smoking too. Remember, these people get shot at and smoking helps to calm their nerves. I would love to see a "do-gooder" tell a smoker whose had his legs blown off that smoking is "bad for them." Then I want to see get plastered all over the news. I think we would have a really good debate about our personal freedoms. What's next, drinking? Yea- good luck with that...

September 16, 2010 at 15:56 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Monty

It only Happens in NYC,... well why dont they designate Graveyards to be smoking areas... Atleast the dead wont complain..... will be rather amused that with the new law passed, the dead might complain too...Lmao

September 16, 2010 at 23:09 | Report abuse |
  45. Just a comment

This is totally political; In a nation where they cannot get adults and children to quit illegal drugs. Lets impose on the people who do LEGAL drugs; but lets not touch alcohol, that did not work, no lets go after smoking (where the full extent of damage to users and the public is so inaccurate that no one knows what's true anymore)...

You either fall in one of two groups:
    The ones who think that forcing your values on others is a right...

Or the group who believes that making changes to the law will allow those honest people up in Washington to systematically remove our rights...

Here's an idea...

If you have to smoke outside go to your car or someplace away from other people (not because you were told to, because it's the nice thing to do)...

If you don't smoke; keep in mind, some smokers are trying their best not to share with you (after all they are expensive)...

Lets just show respect to each other; stop treating smokers like they are human garbage and non-smokers like they are holding signs and quoting bible verses at you...

What if we behaved like our parents/grand parents told us from the get-go and show the gov that they are not needed on such a petty issue...

September 16, 2010 at 16:02 | Report abuse | Reply
  46. Denizen Kate

Two words: slippery slope. If they take away one person's rights, yours may be next.

It may smell bad to most non-smokers, but if second hand smoke were so deadly, the entire Boomer generation would be dead. Virtually all of our parents smoke all the time.

"What about the children?" some of you have posted. What about them? When you have children with you, it isn't that difficult to avoid the occasional pocket of cigarette smokers. If you can't manage it, hold your breath as you walk by, teach your children to do the same, and the smokers will thank you for not breathing while they're smoking. 😉

If you want to ban something, how about alcohol? Talk about a killer drug . . .

September 16, 2010 at 16:02 | Report abuse | Reply
  47. The_Dude

This is going to be tough because there are a lot of POS hipster wannabes in ny who like to smoke because it is cool. Then there is the self-righteous liberal elites who know better than anyone else what is good for them. Self-righteous jerks vs the entitled heathens.

September 16, 2010 at 16:23 | Report abuse | Reply
  48. joeschmo

So is flatulence in public not disturbing to one's nose? Can I back legislation to stop people from executing this bodily function out doors? Which one would you rather smell?

September 16, 2010 at 16:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  49. Robert

I am a non-smoker.
    There has to be a point that you say it's bad for you and ban it or just leave smokers alone. Put up or shut up. How is banning someone outside going to cut second hand smoke effects more that the fact that we would be OUTSIDE. I would love to see sudies of the effects of second hand smoke in an open air environment.

September 16, 2010 at 16:28 | Report abuse | Reply
  50. Geo In TO

Colognes and perfumes cause headaches and reactions to a large percentage of the population. Nobody should be allowed to wear any around such people.
    Just like banning peanuts on airplanes because one person might be allergic to it ... criminalize perfume and cologne and make the wearing of such scents punishable with hefty fines and jail sentences.

September 16, 2010 at 16:30 | Report abuse | Reply