home
RSS
September 13th, 2010

'Freaky eaters' cling to same food everyday

TLC’s new show that started September 5 shows people with a compulsion toward a particular food, meaning they eat only one item -  like cheeseburgers, french fries or pizzas - all the time.

On the upcoming shows, a 29-year-old mother eats only french fries and a 34 year-old diabetic is addicted to cheeseburgers.  In “Freaky Eaters,” psychotherapist Dr. Mike Dow and nutrition specialist J.J. Virgin, intervene to figure out what compels the finicky eaters to obsess over the same food.

Dr. Ovidio Bermudez, the medical director for Child and Adolescent Services at the Eating Recovery Center, said he hasn’t heard much about this type of behavior in adults.

“Usually it’s a problem with children with extremely picky eating,” said Bermudez, a past president of the National Eating Disorders Association.

CNN's Eatocracy on Routine Repasts

Children who usually stick to just one type of food have suffered some sort of emotional disturbances or have fears of vomiting or choking that compels them to stick to one food.  They usually outgrow this.

“It’s rare to see adults with that narrow of menu choices,” Bermudez said.  “It’s almost unheard of.”

The average person cycles through his or her menu every 10 days, meaning an average lover of pizza might eat the item once every 10 days. Some people cycle through the menu less frequently by eating something every 20 days instead.  The 10 to 20 days is the normal range, he said.

Eating the same thing every day is highly abnormal, he said.

“There’s two ways of looking at it- there’s an obsessive component – ‘I want the same thing all the time,’” he said.  “That can be obsessive.  The other is avoidance. ‘These are the only things I feel safe eating.’”

1. thebigblue1

“There’s two ways of looking at it- there’s an obsessive component – ‘I want the same thing all the time,’” he said. “That can be obsessive. The other is avoidance. ‘These are the only things I feel safe eating.’”

Actually there's a third; I can only afford Ramen and beans.

September 13, 2010 at 13:16 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Ed

You are so right, I did a year of Ramen after a divorce almost 30 years ago when they sold for 10/ $1.00. And I had a slew of addin veggies to spice up the bowl as I pulled out of the finacial hole.

September 13, 2010 at 14:06 | Report abuse |
    • shibbygirl

30 years later, you can still find them 10 for $1!

September 13, 2010 at 16:40 | Report abuse |
    • Nick

And they're probably 30 years old too!

September 13, 2010 at 16:57 | Report abuse |
    • Chuck

@Evan – if your diet makes you happy, then eat it. But honestly, occasional junk food is not even remotely a big deal. What I see from a lot of people, and your post implies this, is a lack of understanding that you aren't eating a normal diet – the average person will indulge occasionally, and most nutrionist will tell you that's not only normal, but healthy, no matter how awful the food is for you. Frequency and quantity is what makes unhealthy foods unhealthy.

September 13, 2010 at 18:35 | Report abuse |
    • denhunter

Stop patting yourself on the back and blowing your own horn. You are just a food snob. If someone told you that yak droppings were healthy, you'd walk around all day telling people to smell the crap on your breath.

September 13, 2010 at 18:40 | Report abuse |
    • EL

@Evan
      That is the most self-righteous piece of crap I have ever read. Get off your high horse and stop trying to make anybody feel sorry for you. You are ridiculous.

September 13, 2010 at 19:17 | Report abuse |
    • vieille

Unfortunately, Evan has a point. Junk and fast foods are the norm in many parts of the country, and those who eat healthily are often met with an "oh, so you think you're better than me" attitude or an "it's not gonna kill you to have *one*" attitude. Perhaps he could have expressed this in a less abrasive/annoying way though.

September 13, 2010 at 19:22 | Report abuse |
    • Jomas

@evan you keep going just like you are. There are many like me who only dream of having the discipline of eating only healthy foods. Good for you.

September 13, 2010 at 19:26 | Report abuse |
    • missc

There is actually a 4th reason – maybe it's because they like it. I know that if I could eat steak for every single meal I would.

September 13, 2010 at 19:40 | Report abuse |
    • DNA

#4: batsh|t crazy

September 13, 2010 at 19:41 | Report abuse |
    • Jay

Evan, hope you feel good about yourself . . . but seriously, shut up.

September 13, 2010 at 19:52 | Report abuse |
    • puki

@Evan HAHAHAHAHAHA
      i like healthy food too but that's some snobby cud you're chewing.

September 13, 2010 at 20:03 | Report abuse |
    • Erin

@Evan....that's not being a freaky eater the way the article has described. Eating healthy food is not the same thing as eating the exact same thing every single meal, every single day. Had said, I only eat Wild Salmon on a whole wheat bagel for every single meal, every single day, then you would be an example of a freaky eater. Instead, you're just arrogant.. Healthy, but arrogant.

September 13, 2010 at 20:22 | Report abuse |
    • Kim

I feel good knowing I'm not the only one! I once ate nothing but cubed potatoes everyday during the summer. I know I have OCD, but I now wonder what may be hidden in my past that I'm not aware of... freaky!

September 13, 2010 at 20:34 | Report abuse |
    • JJ

@evan- i think you are awesome.

September 13, 2010 at 20:47 | Report abuse |
    • KStock

I have a 13 yr old son that has been a finiky eater since he was born (couldn't breastfeed and Dr.s had me change formula brands 3 times). As he has grown the range of food he will eat has narrowed. No meat except once in awhile a pepperoni pizza. No fruits, no vegetables. He has about 5 things he will eat, and eats only those and to add to it, they have to be brand specefic. We have seen psychologist, psychiatrist, Dr's, dieticians- everyone told me he would grow out of it- he isn't. If we try to force him to eat something he will refuse to eat anything to the point he vomits stomache acid so I quit trying. I get tired of hearing I should just "MAKE" him eat and it's my fault. On the occasions we get him to try something new (or old) he gags and vomits. Yes, we have had tests done on his esophagus and other body parts connected to eating-everthing is normal. Am glad to see someone is looking at this seriously. I had hoped that as he grew he would get so hungry he would falter and start eating other foods-now he justs eats more of the junk while complaining about being hungry all the time. It wears me out.

September 13, 2010 at 21:19 | Report abuse |
    • Janine

Evan–you are the food equivalent of a germophobe. I know germophobes who run around self-righteous because they are avoiding "germs." Similar people obsess on exercise or on stuff like yoga/Pilates or on washing their hands. Just because what you are obsessing on/addicted to is "healthy" doesn't make your behavior "healthy." If not just your nearest and dearest have noticed it, but casual acquaintances, then you are one sick puppy. Most likely, you have some form of autism or other OCD issue. It's fine to eat healthy foods–but, remember, this in no way guarantees that you will actually be healthy. It is foolish to think that healthy eating and exercise are some magic formula for making it to old age–some people who eat, drink, and make merry live to be 104. Some people who obsess on healthy eating drop dead at 34. It sounds to me like you have a very serious control issue–but, at least it is manifesting as trying (vainly) to control your own destiny rather than in trying to control others.

Go ahead and eat the healthy foods–it's fine. But, sweetpea? All you are proving with the long message is that you are so far in "de Nile" that you have found Lake Victoria. Get some help if you want–but otherwise, just STFU. Thanks!

September 13, 2010 at 21:21 | Report abuse |
    • Elaine

They left out one reason for the obessive eating... It's called Autism. My son has eaten a hamburger several times a day for the last year. It has to be a specfic brand of meat and buns, with seasame seeds, plain with 3 pickles cut long ways.
      Emotional disturbance my a$$. And these people are doctors???

September 13, 2010 at 21:36 | Report abuse |
    • Leanne

Evan it's normal when you eat good healthy food to lose your taste for junk food altogether. It doesn't taste like a treat anymore because it's made from hydrogenated fats and corn byproducts, theres nothing to be concerned about it you would prefer the real thing, that's called good taste, what's better than organic coffee from a french press?

September 13, 2010 at 22:48 | Report abuse |
    • Ed

Evan, that French press coffee causes high cholesterol. You only think you are eating healthy, but you're obviously just trying to justify your peculiar tastes. Drip coffee does not have the high terpenes found in French press coffee. You're better off having a slice of pizza once in a while, than drinking French press coffee.

September 13, 2010 at 22:57 | Report abuse |
    • neverquit

@Evan – While you smugly wolf down your endless smoked fish, I hope you've done your research: Smoked fish, while retaining a higher % of certain limited nutrients, also presents a significantly higher risk of food-borne illnesses, particularly salmonella, presents health risks due to higher sodium content, has far less healthful omega-3 fat due to the damaging smoking process, and has higher cancer risks from PAHs. In addition to salmonella, botulism and listeria are further risks. Clostridium botulinum live in the intestinal tracks of fish. They are heat resistant and can easily survive the typical hot smoking procedure for smoked salmon. It is a spore-forming rod that produces toxins, and when these toxins are ingested they will cause foodborne botulism approximately 2 to 36 hours after ingestion. Signs include double-vision, droopy eyelids, trouble speaking and swallowing, difficulty in breathing and eventually paralysis. It is often fatal. Other pathogens are common. In 2007 ACME Smoked Fish Corporation voluntarily recalled approximately 250 lbs of smoked salmon linked due to presence of Listeria monocytogenes after routine testing by the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services. Just months ago, in June 2010, the Food and Drug Administration provided more detail behind Brooklyn's Service Smoked Fish Corporation's November recall of its smoked salmon products. The FDA testing found Listeria in samples of the smoked salmon. Over time, we will likely see organisms that are far more resistant to smoking, and may present far more life-threatening health risks. Furthermore, smoking the fish raises the level of sodium in the fish. This can prove harmful over time particularly if you suffer or are prone to high blood pressure or heart disease. The smoking process also generates carcinogens known as polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs). The foods within the path of the smoke (basically, anything that TASTES smoked) absorb some of the PAHs, and Europe has taken steps to limit PAHs in foods. The healthful benefits of salmon (e.g. the health omega-3 fat) is substantially lower in smoked fish than in fresh. Bottom line: Until rigorous studies can be done, one might well have a far more likely risk of health damage from eating "wild Pacific lox" than one might consuming fast food chicken nuggets. One man's "junk food" is another man's "health food," ... and vice versa!

September 13, 2010 at 23:10 | Report abuse |
    • Sherm

Aw, man. I feel so sorry for Evan because everyone thinks he's a tool.
      Don't worry Evan. What you lack in social skills you make up for in food choices.
      You may be weird, but it's not because of your foods.
      Don't change.

September 13, 2010 at 23:17 | Report abuse |
    • Monty

@kstock. I understand the thing about him being picky when he was a baby but now you can disapline him spank his butt and make him sit at the table until he eats everything on his plate. especially since you say he wont eat meat he has to get protein from someplace. It is your responsability as his parents to make sure he gets the nutrition that he needs or he is going to have serious health problems growing up and as an adult.

September 14, 2010 at 00:49 | Report abuse |
    • jo

I eat the same thing nearly every day, ... but I don't feel addicted or compulsive. Its just convenient, and easy to make.

September 14, 2010 at 02:22 | Report abuse |
    • Ron Reagan

Evan....you are an a s s h o l e .

September 14, 2010 at 09:04 | Report abuse |
    • sdfrench

As irritating as Evan is, I just bring myself to pile onto this poor putz

September 14, 2010 at 09:21 | Report abuse |
    • bebe

Evan,
      I'm with you on the junk food thing...cannot STAND the taste of anything coated in hydrogenated oil. Have seen too much cancer around me and enough pictures of the obesity rate that is crippling this country.
      I take a lot of abuse all the time and have for years although I'm pretty quiet about it.
      In light of how big agri-business convinced our government that this $–t was healthy, the cancer and obesity rates have proven them wrong.

HAIL picky eaters! We knew that the crap being pedaled as food is anything but!

September 14, 2010 at 09:47 | Report abuse |
    • Dwight Thomas

This is so me; on avg, I eat pizza 5 to 6 days a week. The only foods I tend to eat are:

1. Pizza (only cheese or pepperoni)
      2. Mac n Cheese
      3. Cheese Ravioli

September 14, 2010 at 09:50 | Report abuse |
    • Dave

@Evan – Often, if I'm faced with a choice between a Burger King "Buck Double" and hand-caught trout from Argentina with wild Spanish truffle hollandaise sauce, I opt for a single-barrel malt Scotch made by Monks.

September 14, 2010 at 22:32 | Report abuse |
    • Frobious

I add an egg or 2 when making ramen

September 15, 2010 at 06:01 | Report abuse |
    • Richard who is glad that era is in the past

I heave at the smell of ramen. I ate so much of it for so long when dirt poor that I would mix the flavor packs together to jazz up the variety for a thrill.

Horrible. I don't miss those days one bit!

September 18, 2010 at 18:27 | Report abuse |
    • kjcube

amen

October 4, 2010 at 20:53 | Report abuse |
    • Dr RatstaR

Elaine says –

"They left out one reason for the obessive eating... It's called Autism."

Elaine, I so agree with you.

My first thoughts when I saw the title was that this must be an article on autism. They missed one of the biggest pieces of the puzzle.

October 7, 2010 at 00:53 | Report abuse |
  2. J.Crobuzon

OK, I'm speechless. Make a note of this day.

September 13, 2010 at 13:17 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Biff

SIGH.

ENOUGH WITH THE REALITY SHOWS!

All who agree with me, get rid of your cable to force them to put on quality programming again. This show is just play DUMB.

September 13, 2010 at 17:21 | Report abuse |
    • Csh

I thought so too, until I ran across an old episode of Dinosaurs! by Jim Henson. I think we have selective memories. The old TV stuff wasn't that good either...:-(

September 13, 2010 at 17:48 | Report abuse |
    • Jen

Noted.

September 13, 2010 at 18:37 | Report abuse |
    • Erin

@Biff...networks would air something other than reality if people tuned in. If more people are tuning in for reality shows, that are produced at a low cost, why would a network go out and spend more for a show that doesn't draw the same ratings?

There are good programs out there. More often than not, it's on a cable network that only is producing one or two new series. Check them out and let the rest of us watch the things we enjoy, including reality. There's room for both of us with hundreds of channels out there.

September 13, 2010 at 20:25 | Report abuse |
    • Charlotte

OK, Evan certainly sounds like he's on his high-horse. He DOES have a point, and to the rest who have lambasted him, no, it is NOT "normal" to eat junk food once in awhile, unless you happen to LIKE it (or are unable to find literally anything else). If you personally happen to like junk food then it is of course normal for you to want to eat it once in awhile. Doesn't mean you have to, but it won't kill you. On the other hand, if the thought of a big pile of nachos or a carnivore pizza turns your stomach, then it's the most natural thing in the world to NOT eat it. None of the junk addicts should get their panties in a wad just because someone else chooses to eat differently from them.

September 13, 2010 at 20:27 | Report abuse |
  3. blueyes61

I eat the same food everyday because I do not pack & I'm on a limited budget. I go to Wendy's for their $1menu & because its the safest place in the neighborhood where I work. I don't like it but it comes down to money & safety.

September 13, 2010 at 13:21 | Report abuse | Reply
    • cmc

Not exactly the same thing is it. I believe this show is about people with an obsessive problem; not laziness (can't pack your own lunch) and restaurants in safe vs. unsafe neighborhoods. Good try at trying to make it all about you though.

September 13, 2010 at 15:13 | Report abuse |
    • mike m

I hope it's the salad...

September 13, 2010 at 16:04 | Report abuse |
    • Eva

If you're on a limited budget it would be much cheaper to go to the grocery store and buy the cheapest healthy ingredients on sale, rather than pay other people to cook for you at a fast food restaurant. You should buy cheap veggies on sale (4 cobbs of corn for $1, two pounds of potatoes for $1, etc.), bags of rice, beans, milk, etc. That way you could eat much healthier and with much more variety AND save money. Choosing fast food is always out of laziness, never out of necessity.

September 13, 2010 at 16:09 | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

When I read "I do not pack", I thought you meant carry a weapon. Then I saw another reply that thought you meant packing a lunch. LOL

September 13, 2010 at 17:17 | Report abuse |
    • Melissa

Eva, in what country do you live that four cobs of corn is only $1 and 2 lbs of potatoes are only a $1? Its certainly not the US or Canada.

September 13, 2010 at 17:18 | Report abuse |
    • Csh

Melissa – eat local! We frequently have corn 5 for $1 during the summer.

September 13, 2010 at 17:50 | Report abuse |
    • Wystan

Really; I bought 8 corn for $1 & 5 lb of potatoes for $2 in Boston a couple of days ago. No tricks, just went to the grocery store.

Easiest way to lose weight & save $$$ is to pack a lunch.

September 13, 2010 at 17:55 | Report abuse |
    • Zee

I eat the same lunch everyday for under $1. There's a break room at work with a refrigerator, sink, and microwave. I periodically stock the frig with tofu, frozen spinach, and a spicy vegetarian soup base paste. Put all three ingredients in a bowl w/hot water from the dispenser, micro fro 3 1/2 minutes and I have a very healthy, very tasty, and extraordinarily cheap lunch. I don't pack every day. I don't even have to prepare lunch until about 4 1/2 minutes before I plan on eating it.

September 13, 2010 at 19:19 | Report abuse |
    • Korbie

@Melissa – In Iowa we get a dozen ears of corn for a dollar or we go to the backyard and pick them ourselves.

September 14, 2010 at 06:45 | Report abuse |
  4. Boka

I eat egg whites every day. But I also eat other things too. I love egg whites. I makes me full and there are not many calories. I think I go through 2 dozen eggs a week.

September 13, 2010 at 13:22 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Alan C.

Surely you are yolking.......

September 13, 2010 at 13:26 | Report abuse |
    • DrFood

No yolk Alan C. The dude said he ate egg whites!

September 13, 2010 at 15:58 | Report abuse |
    • Roger Ogilvy Thornhill

There must be a yolk here somewhere.

September 13, 2010 at 16:24 | Report abuse |
    • Csh

"I eat only the white of the egg. Cindy eats only the yellow. If we only had a kid that ate the shells we'd really have it made!" – Cindy & I. Sorry, old comedy routine still stuck in my head.

September 13, 2010 at 17:53 | Report abuse |
    • yeti37

you must be a racist if you favor only the white part of the egg. What is wrong with yellow?

September 13, 2010 at 17:53 | Report abuse |
    • jesuguru

Only egg whites? That cracks me up. You really can't beat that.

September 13, 2010 at 18:01 | Report abuse |
    • visitor

How much do you "shell" out for that?

September 13, 2010 at 18:43 | Report abuse |
    • pepper

He is setting a good eggxample for the rest of us!

September 13, 2010 at 22:31 | Report abuse |
    • justhere

you guys crack me up

September 14, 2010 at 08:29 | Report abuse |
    • Schlangemann

Holy crap egg puns...

September 16, 2010 at 08:12 | Report abuse |
    • ChimChim

This has been an egg-citing conversation.

September 16, 2010 at 22:19 | Report abuse |
    • Dr RatstaR

ChimChim says,

"This has been an egg-citing conversation."

That is egg-zactly how I feel too.

October 7, 2010 at 01:04 | Report abuse |
  5. Alan H.

I'm sure that TLC will focus all of its efforts on finding help for these people.

Who am I kidding? They'll spend each episode sensationalizing their condition and making the rest of us feel better about ourselves.

September 13, 2010 at 13:23 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Poppy

I eat the same thing every day. I just like it that way. Makes it easier to shop, easier to plan meals. It just siimplifies everything. Dont cultures outside the usa pretty much eat the same thing day in and day out? I would hardly classify this as a problem unless the person in question absolutely refuses to eat anything else.

September 13, 2010 at 13:26 | Report abuse | Reply
    • cmc

You eat the same thing every day because it's easier to plan meals and shop? How freakin' lazy can you be? How much effort do you think goes in to picking up a can of vegetable soup instead of walking 2 steps over to the can of chicken noodle soup? So, to save time and brain power, you only walk to the broccoli in the produce section instead of turning around and picking up a zucchini in a section that would take you 5 more seconds to walk to? You are a piece of work, Poppy.

September 13, 2010 at 15:19 | Report abuse |
    • Poppy

@ cmc, I eat 2 eggs and 2 pieces of toast with some chees for breakfast w coffee
      lunch i go to a resturant and have salad bar where I have lettuce, spinach, peas, corn, tomatos cheese and fruit for desert
      supper I have a chicken breast with some frozen veggies.

yeah so what, it works for me, keep your duchebaggery to yourself

September 13, 2010 at 15:36 | Report abuse |
    • Eva

Um, no, people in other countries do NOT eat the same foods everyday - in fact, foreign cuisines on average have much more variety than the average American fast food consumer's diet. Think about the thousands of Asian curries and other dishes. Even African cuisine has a huge amount of variety, not to mention the rich tradition of European cuisine.

September 13, 2010 at 16:12 | Report abuse |
    • Spell Checker Patrol

Cheese*

September 13, 2010 at 16:20 | Report abuse |
    • Michelle

Totally agree...I'm single and live by myself. It's more cost effective to cook large amounts and then freeze for lunch and dinner the rest of the week. I used to cook different foods everyday, which would invevitably go to waste.

September 13, 2010 at 16:47 | Report abuse |
    • Susan

You tell 'em, Poppy... CM seems to just like to trash talk.

September 13, 2010 at 16:56 | Report abuse |
    • Tika

I don't think you are quite getting what the show is about. The show is about people that literally only eat one thing. I watched it last night and they had the woman on that would only eat french fries. They even dyed the fries different colors and she had trouble eating the colored fries. She tried to eat a baked potato and it made her gag. She could hardly get it down. The worst part is that she had a young daughter that was eating the same diet. Eventually they managed to find 15 different food products that she would be willing to eat.

September 13, 2010 at 17:49 | Report abuse |
    • Lindsay

People of any culture who have the means to do so eat a variety of dishes. And there certainly are many in each culture that exist. But that doesn't mean that the general population of a lot of poorer countries do. A lot of people are stuck with whatever is grown in the area because there isn't the option of buying food made and grown somewhere else, or the foods that are most available are cheapest, so they're the main staple.

September 13, 2010 at 21:11 | Report abuse |
    • A

I eat white rice twice a day, no exceptions. Asian.

September 14, 2010 at 01:47 | Report abuse |
    • DontGetIt

Is this the same Poppy that was on Seinfeld? We know about your habits...

September 14, 2010 at 14:20 | Report abuse |
    • L Simon

Tika-

You got the point they were trying to get across. However, there was a great opportunity here that was missed by the producers and so-called "experts" on the show. This woman does not ONLY eat french fries, she is simply a picky eater and fries are one of few foods she can eat. Instead of educating the viewers on picky eating, a real medical condition, they sensationalized the woman's affinity for fries by calling it an obsession and an addiction. The truth is, she is not like the cheeseburger guy or the pizza guy. She doesn't have a choice about how she eats. To picky eaters, certain foods are revolting and trying new foods can be difficult or impossible. They proved in this episode that her problem is a genetic one. I wish they had focused more on the real issue and less on making her seem like she is crazy obsessed with fries!

September 14, 2010 at 15:17 | Report abuse |
  7. Onawaa

I eat one of two same things everyday for lunch at work-why? Because I have limited time to eat and limited funds so I eat either a warm thing of tomoto soup and a bag of funyuns or a Lunchable and funyons-because they are cheap, quick to make and tasty. I eat a wide variety of things for my other meals, I think this is normal.

September 13, 2010 at 13:33 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Texas Pete

Seriously, funyins are disgusting, as are lunchables. I bet your BP is over the top with all that salt too.

September 13, 2010 at 16:01 | Report abuse |
    • Mary

Get over it Texas Pete. It isn't your place to judge if someone wants to eat something they enjoy eating. Mind your own business.

September 13, 2010 at 17:10 | Report abuse |
    • AgentFrank

I'm bettin ole Mary is bangin on the glass at Home Town Buffet 10 minits before they open, every day. "..and I'll have a gravy with cream and two sugars to go.......don't fergit my donuts"

September 13, 2010 at 23:21 | Report abuse |
    • ha

You know Mary is some fat white slob from the country who has more pasty rolls on her thighs than a bakery. BLEGH.

I just threw up in my mouth a little. 😦

September 14, 2010 at 15:17 | Report abuse |
  8. Deb

I saw this episode last night. The two people on the show really do have some issues. It almost seemed similar to an obsessive compulsive disorder. What was horrible is that one of them has a child who has learned to copy her mothers behavior.

September 13, 2010 at 13:34 | Report abuse | Reply
    • derek

Are you sure they "learned" the mother's behavior? Frequently mental illnesses are genetic.

September 13, 2010 at 23:53 | Report abuse |
  9. sk

I eat chapati every day but with different curry. The main reason home food food is always healthy and also cheap.

September 13, 2010 at 13:40 | Report abuse | Reply
    • texmex

well.... you can eat pooris or naan with curries too... how about some idlies? Dont forget the rice or biryani staples...

No reason to eat boring chapatis every day.

September 13, 2010 at 15:21 | Report abuse |
  10. GP

My daughter-in-law has this problem. She will only eat hamburgers, potatoes, and green beans. That is it. It is impossible to go to a restaurant with her, and having her over for dinner is out of the question. She has even gone so far as to stop by McDonalds before coming over for dinner, so as to avoid eating whatever the rest of us is having. Apparently her parents, when she was just a baby, were convinced that she should be potty trained at 6 months, so as soon as she ate, they would force her to sit on the toilet. This became so adverse to her, that she stopped eating. Maybe that's why today she has such a screwy eating disorder. She is of normal weight, so this is not about anorexia/bulemia, but if you even suggest she take a bite of something outside her food "safety zone" she gets so anxious and irritable, that it's hard to be around her.

September 13, 2010 at 13:40 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jango Davis

She's your daughter-in-law...you mean somebody married her?

September 13, 2010 at 14:37 | Report abuse |
    • Aubrie

For your sake, your son's sake and that of any "potential" children they may have.... I hope they don't have any.

September 13, 2010 at 15:59 | Report abuse |
    • Texas Pete

You son needs better taste.

September 13, 2010 at 16:02 | Report abuse |
    • Shutterbug77

Are you people serious in your comments? Do you believe that someone is not worthy of love because they have a disorder? What century do you live in? Would it be the same if she had some other sort of illness?

September 13, 2010 at 16:29 | Report abuse |
    • Walker

My Grandfather is boaderline this way. He only eats beef (burgers or steak), potatoes in any form, and sweets. I don't think I've ever seen him eat a piece of fruit or veggie and even though he was an avid fisherman refused to eat any fish.
      He'd visit and we'd go to dinner and he'd flip out if we went to a Mexican place or Asian food – we didn't really figure it out until he was in his 70's and we stuck to diners and McDonalds for him.
      He even skipped my wedding because my Aunt (who had been dealing with his crotchety old behind) told him they didn't have McDonald in Louisiana and he was afraid to try new food. He's 91 and despite the fatty diet is pretty dang healthy, only now starting to loose his mental facilities. I can't really express whata pain in the a$$ he is to deal with over food...

September 13, 2010 at 17:02 | Report abuse |
    • R Krause

Dear Gp
      Your daughter has a little known eating disorder. Most adults that have it hide it at all cost. She would eat your food if she could. Going to your house for a meal is probably a real horror for her. I started a website for Adults that are picky eaters 7 years ago and have found over 7000 people that suffer with this little known condition. Do you think your Daughter in law enjoys having to go to Mcdonalds so she won't go hungry at your house. Please direct her to our website http://www.pickyeatingadults.com
      Bob K

September 13, 2010 at 17:03 | Report abuse |
    • Mary

Most of these posters are ridiculously rude and arrogant. WHO CARES if someone eats what they like and what they are comfortable with!?!?! It isn't hurting you at all and this "mother in law" is just plain selfish and nasty. I feel sorry for the daughter in law having to deal with someone so judgmental over something that isn't her business.

September 13, 2010 at 17:12 | Report abuse |
    • Steve

People who behave this way are just immature. I was a picky eater when I was a kid, but when I moved out on my own and had to start being responsible for feeding myself, all kinds of food I didn't like before – Chinese, seafood, etc. – suddenly tasted much better.

September 13, 2010 at 17:53 | Report abuse |
    • AgentFrank

Thats right Mary !! Who cares if you are 350 Lbs and smell like bacon, you do what you want girl !!

September 13, 2010 at 23:18 | Report abuse |
    • PG

GP: What a horrific daughter-in-law to have! UGH. IF I was her husband, I would buy everything else BUT that and force her to eat it. What a complete idiot she is! We were meant to eat a variety of foods to balance our health and provide vital nutrients. Green beans is not enough! This dumb girl will burder her husband with health problems because of her stupidity.

September 14, 2010 at 15:23 | Report abuse |
  11. KC

People are different. Some need consistency and predictability, need to rely on it that there will be no surprises, lunch will always be a PBJ. I can't imagine doing it, I like variety, but I know someone whose entire universe tilts if you run out of PB and you offer a cheese sandwich instead.

September 13, 2010 at 13:40 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Sarah

I fall into this category – I love burgers, egg salad, and pizza. Lot's of things have always tasted horrible to me.

September 13, 2010 at 13:48 | Report abuse | Reply
    • PG

Only in America.
      I bet you are grossly overweight and have very unhealthy organs. Gross.

September 14, 2010 at 15:24 | Report abuse |
    • pro-lifer

@PG nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooob

September 20, 2010 at 21:41 | Report abuse |
  13. Bryan

This article is 'freaky' because that is me. I only eat a few things (with the only exception being when my family cooks but even that is just a healthier cycle than mine) and don't eat fruit, barely vegetables, no candy chocolate or ice cream. I don't think I have had any emotional disturbances in my past to cause this. I just have always been picky as a child.

September 13, 2010 at 13:48 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. brafgam

I've eaten basically only the same 6 things every day for 18 years mainly because nothing else compares in the way it makes me feel. Egg whites (12 dozen per week - 144), brown rice (ideal low-glycemic carb for my physiology), apples, bananas, broccoli, lots of extra virgin olive oil, and that's it. Really not much variance. I just feel like crud if I vary from this simple mix, and without it I have great difficulty maintaining the workouts that enable the muscle mass/bodyfat percentage ratio that feels best to my tired old frame. Maybe these freaky eaters are just listening to their bodies.

September 13, 2010 at 14:02 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Thia

Actually, that sounds extremely healthy. If you add mango, berries, and my favorite veggie burgers, you would have what I eat all the time. 🙂

September 13, 2010 at 14:14 | Report abuse |
    • Jango Davis

It's not natural to eat such a limited menu as these people do, they're bodies aren't telling them to eat the sam ething, it's their minds, an dtheir mionds are sick.

Just because you eat like a food nazi doesn't mean that's normal sweetie...

September 13, 2010 at 14:39 | Report abuse |
    • CarlaC

12 DOZEN egg whites? honestly. if not for known nutritional reasons, variety is the spice of life. yikes.

September 13, 2010 at 15:57 | Report abuse |
    • MoodyMoody

Wow. You can't sub in barley or quinoa for the brown rice? You can't eat cabbage or spinach instead of broccoli? No grapefruit or cherries instead of apples and bananas? Not even pears? Sure, what you eat is a lot healthier than most Americans, but subbing in other healthy foods would bring in other micronutrients to your diet and make it even better. But you know you best, I guess.

September 13, 2010 at 16:08 | Report abuse |
    • Christa

brafgam: You might have a really sensitive stomach. All those items are pretty bland and mostly part of the BRAT diet, which people are started on after being ill and who were not eating. I believe what you listed was all gluten free. You might have just naturally acquired an aversion to gluten... Or something else that causes GI discomfort. I recommend talking to your Dr. about it.

Additionally, the glycemic index of brown rice over white rice is only about 3 points out of 100. The difference is negligable. If you like white rice better, eat it. It won't make much difference.

September 13, 2010 at 22:31 | Report abuse |
  15. Agatha

My son pretty much eats the same thing for every meal at home- cheese pizza. He's 13, and has been eating that way for years and years. He's also high functioning autistic with sensory integration dysfunction. He has issues with other foods, and doesn't like the way they taste/feel in his mouth (frequently causing vomiting). He will eat a sandwich for school, but it is the same sandwich every day. In elementary it was PB&J (with seedless strawberry jam and creamy peanut butter) – now it is honey turkey with mozzarella slices on toasted buttermilk bread (no condiments). Again, eaten every day during the school year.

These people might have similar issues. It doesn't just have to be something as simple as being traumatized as a child. I choked on a cheeseburger from McD's as a 5 yr old, but still continued to them for years afterward.

September 13, 2010 at 14:02 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jango Davis

I agree, their eating habits are symptomatic of something not functioning nornmally in their brains.

September 13, 2010 at 14:41 | Report abuse |
    • WOW

What kind of a mother are you? Don't give your son cheese pizza everyday! It is loaded with calories and has hardly any nutritional value! You are the mother. You do the shopping. Buy healthy foods. He has no choice but to eat it. I am a mother and my children eat very well and have treats from time to time but not everyday. You are doing more harm than good

September 14, 2010 at 15:27 | Report abuse |
  16. Mike

We can do that as adults, when money is short, once in a Houston hospital I discovered salads at McDonald's and that was great, for less than 3 bucks I could have my meals, and that worked, it was good even for my weight. I took my 9 yr old daughter in for treatment for her leukemia. She now is a proud vet school student at her healthy 18 yrs of age.

September 13, 2010 at 14:03 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. M

I go through periods where I'm obsessing over a certain food but it's not *all* I eat. For example, when I'm on my avocado kicks I may eat several avocados a week – not straight, I make guac or put it in tacos, scrambles, etc. I do the same with fruit. During the summers I go on a crazy raspberry kick where I eat a half pint just about every day. Same goes for pineapple, I may eat a couple a week for a month.

But again... I still eat other stuff.

September 13, 2010 at 14:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Freaky Sleeper

Since I don't have a thousand beds, I sleep in my exact same bed all the time. My OCD compels me to also live in the SAME place and pay rent every month on the same day. Freaky Deaky! Some people have this weird obsession with sleeping with the SAME person day after day!

September 13, 2010 at 14:11 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Brad

WOW that is weird. Pitch this to TLC.

September 13, 2010 at 14:12 | Report abuse |
    • Poppy

I drive the same way to work every day. I drive the same car every day. I talk to the same people every day. Everyday my parents and siblings reman the same people. I follow a schedule where I do basically everything the same every day!? I must have something wrong with me! ...what? thats just normal life??? cant be

September 13, 2010 at 15:43 | Report abuse |
    • Duncan

"sleep with the SAME person day after day!"

I am sorry, but that just ain't right.. shame on you..

September 14, 2010 at 12:35 | Report abuse |
  19. Iron Celt

When I got married, I discovered that my husband was one of these people who eats the EXACT same thing for every meal. He will also eat whatever I fix for dinner, but left on his on he eats breakfast and lunch that have had only one significant change since about 1971. (I've also decided he's somewhere up there on that autistic spectrum.)

September 13, 2010 at 14:17 | Report abuse | Reply
    • AGeek

o_O ...and you found this out *after* you got married? Does the phrase "look before you leap" not exist in your world?

September 13, 2010 at 16:05 | Report abuse |
    • Jay Kay

I bet he has a colon you can set your watch by.

September 13, 2010 at 17:46 | Report abuse |
  20. Jonathan

One of my buddies in the Iraq war used to eat the same meals every day for weight-control purposes. By always sticking to the same menu (chicken tenders & salad, something like that) he got so bored with his diet that it was difficult to overeat.

September 13, 2010 at 14:29 | Report abuse | Reply
    • yeti37

Good idea!
      Love, Jared

September 13, 2010 at 18:00 | Report abuse |
  21. mike

"Eating the same thing everyt day is highly abnormal" Umm... no. Since we have an abundance of choices to pick from it just seems abnormal. Tell that to people in 3rd world nations who are starving and have limited nutritional choices. People in all civilizations throughout history would eat ANYTHING thay could get.. even if it was the same thing everyday.

September 13, 2010 at 14:35 | Report abuse | Reply
    • allen

Your right about ancient people eating everyhing and anything they could get ahold of. The difference was they would never have the luxury of only eating one thing, because they had no way to store / ship food. They ate what was in season, when it was in season.

September 13, 2010 at 16:37 | Report abuse |
  22. Kyle

Yea I believe variety is key o a healthy diet. These people need help or they're going to encounter some serious problems. Check out http://www.diet-myths.com to learn how to eat properly.

September 13, 2010 at 14:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. zen monkey

I have very little variety in my diet but, like others, it is because I don't have very much money to spend. There's only so much you can really do for about two dollars per meal. Sweets are out of the question. The decision is often whether to add meat or a vegetable to the usual brown rice for dinner and lunch is going to be some kind of sandwich to rush through in five minutes before getting back to work. You have to stretch every dollar, and that doesn't always afford a lot of choices.

September 13, 2010 at 15:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Sharc

Um, okay.....the French Fry Lady....I have to know. Does she eat the same exact type of fries everyday? Or does she eat different types? Does she eat McDonald's, Popeye's, bagged frozen, her own home made, crinkle cut, shoe string, steak fries? Or just the same exact type?

September 13, 2010 at 15:24 | Report abuse | Reply
    • A. Rae

The "french fry lady" basically used frozen, crinkle cut fries and fried them in a saucepan of canola oil on the stove if she's at home, or gets them at different fast food places. They found that she did have a medical problem that caused her to be more sensitive to the taste of new foods, but her 7-year-old daughter, who was also a picky eater, did not... I'm totally fascinated by this show, more as a Mom who is always trying to get my kids to try new foods than anything else! Thankfully, both my kids are adventurous and generally willing to try new foods...

September 13, 2010 at 15:49 | Report abuse |
    • R Krause

Dear Sharc

I know Amber and she like Oreida Crinkle cut fries. But the story distorted her diet. She has not eaten only FF's for 26 years. She does have a limited diet but not like the show depicted her eating conditon. Fact is Amber has an eating disorder and is a member of our Yahoo support group for Adult Picky Eaters. We are over 2000 strong and would welcome any of you reading the article that would like to know the real truth. http://www.pickyeatingadults.com
      Bob K

September 13, 2010 at 17:10 | Report abuse |
  25. Boka

The best way to eat is cycle you food intake around the changing of the seasons. By eating this way you don't eat the same stuff all the time and you eat foods that are fresh and in season. The only thing I rarely eat is seafood. As much as I love it seafood is just so bad for you becuase of the mercury and heavy metal content. Stick to Flaxseed oil for the omegas.

September 13, 2010 at 15:40 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Hello

That is a nice idea, but some people can't handle the taste of flax oil, and it doesn't give you pure Omega-3. Some fish oils capsules are tested for heavy metals. I'm not saying anyone should eat fish, but you should know you have options that are not fully of heavy metals.

September 13, 2010 at 15:58 | Report abuse |
    • Mary

Flax oil can have a poor effect on some people's digestive system (for me, I had a very fast reaction that involved running to the bathroom for both ends, yuck!) and fish oil is definitely a higher quality way to get Omega 3's etc. Not to sound like an ad, but I recently found a fish oil called Barleans Omega Swirl that actually tastes good. I used to take the regular fish oil, which is okay but sort of gaggy. But this Swirl stuff doesn't taste fishy or oily at all, so I'd recommend for someone looking for a non fishy supplement.

September 13, 2010 at 17:19 | Report abuse |
  26. chicboater

Did anyone actually watch this? The woman ate only french fries and when they added food coloring, she sobbed with fear. This is a show about a terrible psychiatric problem; a severe eating disorder. These people are really suffering. It's not exactly the same thing as a fat, lazy slob who goes to McDonald's every day.

September 13, 2010 at 15:57 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Agatha

No. Haven't watched it. I've only read the article. Sounds like she does have psychiatric issues. Or, could be that the color was unappetizing. My sister once made Salmon patties and macaroni and cheese. She decided the meal was too orange, so she added blue food coloring to the salmon. My brother-in-law refused to eat it. 🙂

September 13, 2010 at 16:08 | Report abuse |
    • Steve

I didn't see the show, but she just sounds like a big baby to me.

September 13, 2010 at 18:01 | Report abuse |
  27. Texas Pete

You forgot other reasons people might eat the same food everyday.
    1. It's cheap. I knew people in college who would eat Raman noodles and mac and cheese 5 days a week.
    2. They suck at cooking. I once ate tortellini 4 days a week for 5 months because it was pretty much the only tasty food I knew how to cook.
    3. Allergies. I know someone who is allergic to wheat, peanuts, milk and a bunch of different fruits, so they pretty much eat steamed chicken and rice everyday.

September 13, 2010 at 15:58 | Report abuse | Reply
    • almxx

Hey Pete; don't they have cookbooks in Texas?

September 13, 2010 at 19:33 | Report abuse |
  28. CS

Wow, I eat the same thing, with some minimal variation, for most meals most of the time... because I am broke, and when you cut your food budget, your options get limited. Even in slightly less hard times, as a single adult, I tended to make one big meal on sunday and portion out the leftovers for lunch throughout the week- the weekly lunch changed, but it's hard to make interesting, nutritious food in small quantities. But yeah, right now I am eating on a few dollars a day, max, and it's boring but nutritious- and not abnormal, to judge from most people my age in my financial position. There are plenty of valid, non-psychological reasons to repeat the same foods a lot- the best nutritious bang for the buck. On the other hand, I do make an effort to to buy different fruits or veggies as I am able, to change it up a bit.

September 13, 2010 at 16:00 | Report abuse | Reply
    • derek

Check out my friends' site at budgetbytes.blogspot.com. She has tons of cheap recipes that are really easy and delicious.

September 14, 2010 at 00:05 | Report abuse |
  29. Smarty Pants

I eat the same thing every day for a month or two at a time. Why? Because I want to ; I just like it so much that I can't get enough of that particular food. It's sort of like that itch you have to keep scratching until it goes away. (currently it's lamb and broccoli stir fry. )

I don't like having myself pathologized for a stupid habit that doesn't hurt anyone.

September 13, 2010 at 16:01 | Report abuse | Reply
  30. Chuck

If someone is really putting their health at risk then sure, they need to stop eating the same thing over and over. But last night the hosts of the show seemed to be a bit preachy/pushy without having any real evidence that what those people were doing was unhealthy. The young man who ate pizza every day wasn't obese. They tried to pin his mysterious health problems on his diet, but there wasn't any hard proof. His heath issues could have been psychological.

September 13, 2010 at 16:05 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mary

Maybe he just really liked pizza? I have always had food kicks where I just couldn't get enough of my current favorite. Actually, I still adore the same things I have liked for over 30 years. Actually, pizza is sounding really good right now...

September 13, 2010 at 17:21 | Report abuse |
    • almxx

I read about a woman who lived to be 117 yrs. old, on a diet of buttermilk and greens. There is obviously much to be learned about nutrition.

September 13, 2010 at 19:36 | Report abuse |
    • AgentFrank

Ohhhh mary, don't be shy girl, give Dominos a call and order that dinner for four, you deserve it girl, you worked hard to finish that whole cake, right my little oinker !!!

September 13, 2010 at 23:30 | Report abuse |
    • Shamchops

Mary must weigh like 400lbs.

September 14, 2010 at 15:32 | Report abuse |
  31. Alan

America's junk culture reigns supreme! Stuff like this is only news for people who can't thionk outside of the mass media box.

September 13, 2010 at 16:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. Festus

"Eating the same thing every day is highly abnormal, he said."

There are tens of thousands of people institutionalized each year for eating the same entrees more than 3 times a week.

September 13, 2010 at 16:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  33. R2

I've got the cure for that. POT

September 13, 2010 at 16:09 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Teri

seriously.......I agree, smoking pot does help me on occasion. I do have times when I just don't care if I eat or not. Stress realated and I'm sure I've got some sort of eating disorder or "issues". When I am going through this stressful period, smoking pot has helped me get my appetite back and kept me from getting too thin. Hey....me thinks me qualify's for "medical marijuana".

September 22, 2010 at 18:29 | Report abuse |
  34. chicboater

When I used to smoke pot I ate the same bread, american cheese and potato chips sandwich each time. So I don't know that that is a good solution.

September 13, 2010 at 16:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. Mike

Domino's large hand tossed pizza – triple sauce with no cheese!!!!

September 13, 2010 at 16:12 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. @cmc

@cmc someone is having a bad day

September 13, 2010 at 16:14 | Report abuse | Reply
  37. VA is 4 lovers

Well, I just may have the "unheard of" person just waiting for this show to exploit him. A close family friend has a son – 24 years old? Maybe 23? – and he only eats peanut butter and ritz (peanut butter has to be a new jar every time) squirt cheese, cantaloupe, mac n' cheese (has to be made just right or he won't eat it) and cake. He will not eat anything else. His doctors say he's amazingly in good health but how could that be? It is definitely a form of OCD/eating disorder but having something like this, as an adult, can't be THAT unheard of. Strange? Yes. Never heard of it until I met him.

September 13, 2010 at 16:15 | Report abuse | Reply
    • R Krause

Dear VA is for lovers
      You are so correct he does have a disorder. If anyone really wants to learn the truth please come to our website

Bob K

September 13, 2010 at 17:12 | Report abuse |
    • almxx

If you study long living people's diets, you will surprisingly find that they ate a limited variety of foods. Basically the same foods repeatedly. This may be the eating key to longevity....especially if eating good quality foods. It might be worth a trial in say, a prison environment, where it is controllable. Unfortunately for us, our Govt. doesn't want to do such reasonable things. How can we further punish such wonderful people, as sentenced for life prisoners?

September 13, 2010 at 19:48 | Report abuse |
  38. Faisal

this is an offensive show, i hope whoever made it gets destroyed

September 13, 2010 at 16:15 | Report abuse | Reply
    • yeti37

really. Who would buy advertising? McDonalds? Pizza Hut?

Or would they just show the same commercial over and over during each break?

September 13, 2010 at 18:04 | Report abuse |
  39. Marc

I saw this show last night and it was awful. What a joke.

After supposedly dealing with this obsession for many years, the therapist supposedly diagnosed the pizza-guy's problem: he only ate pizza because he could no longer play volleyball. Let the idiocy of that sink in . . . he at pizza because he wasn't playing volleyball anymore and getting mommy's affirmation.

Obviously people do have real issues with food and eating, but this show was absurd. The therapists and doctors were clearly (over) acting and the supposed "shock treatment" administered by them was shockingly stupid.

For example, seeing the tub of lard he threw on the ground, as if to signal he was throwing away his eating habits, made for some really bad acting.

This was like watching the worst audience reactions to Bob Saget's pitiful voice-overs during "America's Funniest Home Videos."

September 13, 2010 at 16:17 | Report abuse | Reply
  40. Niki

Some of you don't quite seem to understand this problem... it's not the same lunch or dinner everyday for a while, it's the same particular food every time they eat for years.

September 13, 2010 at 16:18 | Report abuse | Reply
  41. Kate

I wonder how many different ways TLC can actually find to exploit people. Are the possibilities endless? I hope not. Every new show they come out with is just more and more pathetic (with the exceptions of What Not to Wear and say Yes to the Dress which I must admit I love- can't help it). I just don't se how people's medical or mental health conditions equate to entertainment for the masses.

September 13, 2010 at 16:19 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Marc

What are the odds the next show will be about little people who eat the same food all the time?

September 13, 2010 at 16:40 | Report abuse |
    • Steve

Marc – I'm betting the next show will be about tattooed little cake bosses with 19 kids who eat only the animals they hoard.

Good Lord, I remember when TLC used to be "The Learning Channel."

September 13, 2010 at 18:26 | Report abuse |
    • Marc

Steve – you rock. Really funny.

September 14, 2010 at 09:48 | Report abuse |
  42. LB

Sure are a lot of judgmental people commenting here.

September 13, 2010 at 16:20 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mitt

...LB says judgmentally.

September 13, 2010 at 16:56 | Report abuse |
  43. El Kababa

I don't care what I eat. I like everything except meat, parsnips, baked beans, and parsnips. Of all the foods I love – there are thousands – I don't care which of them I eat at any particular time. My wife, however, won't eat Chinese if we had Chinese this week. If she's hungry for a Sonic burger, no burger from any place but Sonic will do. She occasionally says, "I always choose what we eat. You pick for a change." Then we go through this guessing game where I list foods which she objects too until I finally guess that she wants BBQ pork from the Korean place on Dyer street. Then she says, "As long as it's what YOU want.

September 13, 2010 at 16:20 | Report abuse | Reply
  44. From Bad to Good Habits!

When we first started getting my step-daughters, they had bad eating habits. At their mom's they were allowed to eat whenever and whatever they wanted. They'd eat food infront of the TV or into their bedroom.Their mom fed them junk food and would not cook for them (she is vegan). Then when they came to visit, they'd ask for something to eat, take two bites, say they are finished and get up and play. NOT ANYMORE! We broke that habit.

They may not particularly like the food we feed them, but they now will eat whatever we give them. And they will sit down and eat it until their plate is empty. If they didn't finish, they were not allowed to have anything but water until the next meal is served. If they finished everything they get a snack, treat or dessert and as much juice or milk as they pleased. Might sound harsh, but its really not. They are fed three good nutricious meals a day. At least they are healthy and not starved!

September 13, 2010 at 16:21 | Report abuse | Reply
    • ****

wow. you sound like a really fun stepmom.

September 13, 2010 at 18:20 | Report abuse |
    • Your a Idiot

Sounds like the wicked witch of the west to me. I wonder if you would have this same rules if they were your biological children. I don't believe in forcing kids to "clean their plates" or else you will only get water until the next meal. That sounds like child abuse to me. I wonder how big these kids are gonna get on this "healthy diet". Even when kids are picky eaters they always manage to get enough food to sustain thier bodies. Also, unlike most adults, kids are able to stop eating when they are no long hungry. Forcing them to eat everything or be punished is a bunch of bullsh*t... If you did that to my kids...I would sl@p your face and make you eat everything I put on a plate for your @**...b*tch...

September 13, 2010 at 18:48 | Report abuse |
    • Well done

They don't have to clean their plate, they are just not being allowed to live of sweets and snacks rather than sharing a meal with the family. Well Done.

September 13, 2010 at 19:07 | Report abuse |
    • Gidgit

A vegan who fed them nothing but junk food? That's a bit odd. Most vegans I know, including myself and my roommate are very big into healthy eating and making sure that our diets are wide and varied. If she is really feeding them that poorly, call child services. They deserve better than a mom who will risk their health out of laziness.

September 13, 2010 at 19:11 | Report abuse |
    • Gidgit

Actually, after reading your post again it feels like perhaps you resent the way your husbands ex is raising her children, and that you may be exaggerating how poorly they are fed. Children should never be forced to clean their plates, and making them do so and then rewarding them with snacks is not good for them. It would be better to allow them to eat what they want at meals and then give them small snacks of fruit, veggies, whole-wheat crackers, etc throughout the day.

September 13, 2010 at 19:14 | Report abuse |
    • HCX

So instead of letting kids eat until they feel they have had enough, you force feed the kids. I call that a feeding disorder.

September 15, 2010 at 08:55 | Report abuse |
  45. Jessica

Maybe they are just that rare combination of lazy and content?

September 13, 2010 at 16:21 | Report abuse | Reply
  46. B

They started stocking two new flavors of Kraft Mac&Cheese at my local Bloom so that puts me two days closer to the average 10 day eating cycle!

September 13, 2010 at 16:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  47. Read Correctly

This isn't talking about food preference, or budget, its about people who have a psychological problem. Seriously people, your personal preference of food is NOT what this article is talking about... it's about other people, imagine that, life isn't all about u!

September 13, 2010 at 16:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  48. blastmaster

man, i always eat the same stuff, like all the time...pizza and nachos make the world go round, too bad obowma and his commie libtard pals always push for shows like this to demonize all us folks that just want our daily burritos yo!

September 13, 2010 at 16:29 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Niki

Please, enough with the political bashing. It's pretty pathetic when you can even link politics to a show on eating disorders. Let it go dude, no one cares!!!!!!

September 13, 2010 at 16:44 | Report abuse |
  49. Boo

The show is about people who have a type of "eating distorder". It's not about income, budget, dieting, lack of choice, laziness...etc. If it were about any of those things, the show wouldn't be watchable. We can't have compassion for anyone who is too lazy to cook. It's about people who can't help themselves, so they are offered help to break the "habit". I saw the guy who ate burgers at every meal and he really believed his own reasoning. It was hard to watch. I love a burger every now and again, but I haven't had one since I saw the show.... Maybe that's a good thing...

September 13, 2010 at 16:31 | Report abuse | Reply
  50. Ragan

I'm a grad student so of course I don't have much money, but I manage to eat different things every day.

Dried beans and other legumes (lentils, split peas, beans of many types) are super cheap and last a long time without refrigeration. Whole grains (barley, wheat and rye berries, triticale, and quinoa can add some variety instead of the same old brown rice) and can usually be bought in bulk for a discount. Throw in a couple of vegetables (stick to seasonal, and there's no need to go organic if you're worried about cost) and a tablespoon of butter or olive oil, maybe some spices (buy in bulk, not the cute little matching glass jars) and you have a filling, flavorful dinner which is high in fiber, protein, and other nutrients. Don't go out and buy everything at once, but add one or two types of dried legume or whole grain to your pantry per shopping trip, and rotate from there.

If cooking time is short, make a batch of beans or grain in advance and freeze it. Not sure which ingredients go together? There are a ton of recipe websites to give you ideas, or you can experiment (like I do). The leftovers make great next-day lunches, as well.

Added bonus - low triglycerides and overall great cholesterol numbers, many of these foods are diabetic friendly, there are gluten-free and vegan options, and, while meat or fish certainly could be added, if you should choose to avoid meat, you save money and don't have to worry about certain food-borne diseases.

September 13, 2010 at 16:33 | Report abuse | Reply