home
RSS
September 9th, 2010

FDA warns E-cig makers on stop-smoking claims

Distributors of 5 types of electronic cigarettes have been warned by the Food and Drug Administration that their products are considered unapproved new drugs and in violation of the Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act.

The FDA sent warning letters E-Cig Technology, Inc of Las Vegas, Nevada;  Gamucci America, Jacksonville, Florida; E-CigaretteDirect, LLC of Parker, Colorado; Johnson Creek Enterprises, LLC, Jackson Creek, Wisconsin; and Ruyan America Inc, of Minneapolis, Minnesota.

The letter reads in part: "Any product that bears labeling claims that it helps stop or reduce the cigarette urge, helps stop or reduce smoking, or similar claims is a smoking deterrent drug product."

"Products that are labeled, represented, or promoted as smoking deterrents, such as the electronic cigarette and cigar products marketed by your firm, are regarded as new drugs," the FDA letter continues.

The Electronic Cigarette Association also was alerted by the FDA.  It was told the devices need to go through the agency's new drug application process. The first step in that process is to file an investigational new drug application, which would require manufacturers to provide data on animal studies and even human clinical trials.

The companies were given 15 days to notify the FDA in writing what corrective actions they plan to take.

Keith King, sales manager for E-CigaretteDirect, said his  company would comply. "It's really unclear whether the FDA has any jurisdiction over electronic cigarettes. We do not promote the electronic cigarette as a stop smoking aid, but the FDA has misinterpreted some of the material on our website. We are going to have to meet their request and make some changes to our website."

Ruyan America president William Bartkowski said his company hadn't offered a nicotine product in the United States in more than a year. "We will promptly respond to the FDA."

1. Rich

From my experience as a smoker and user of e-cigs:

1. These are an amazingly wonderful ALTERNATIVE to cigarettes. While some people may use e-cigs to quit completely, they are a tobacco smoking cessation method not a nicotine cessation method.
    2. The e-cig itself is no more a "drug delivery device" than a tobacco pipe, or a piece of tin foil for that matter. People can use almost anything to deliver drugs into their body and it's ridiculous to single out e-cigs.
    3. Nicotine liquid, which is the drug, has been found to sometimes contain things it should not, like diethylene glycol. What critics fail to mention is that regular cigarettes are KNOWN to contain this and hundreds of other toxins in MASSIVE quantities, EVERY TIME. i'm sure most e-cig users would welcome regulation that monitors purity of nicotine liquids sold in the US, but this should be on the exact same terms as cigarettes. This is a way of enjoying nicotine, just like cigarettes are.
    4. Finally, i ask that people who don't smoke but love to judge and patronize those who do – this includes the FDA – to please remember that this is America. If i choose to smoke cigarettes or e-cigarettes, i welcome your efforts to make them safe as much as i welcome your efforts to keep my eggs from killing me. But don't try to take away my free choice of a vastly superior product that is very unlikely to be more harmful than what it replaces.

September 10, 2010 at 01:35 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Bob

I understand it's your right to smoke but it is also the right of those around you to breath smoke-free air. One of the worst things the government has done is to allow this to continue–cigarettes should be banned completely! We don't promote other products that are known to kill people as cigarettes do and yet because of all the huge money involved and all of those that have their hands in this dirty business, it is allowed to continue. I was a 2 pack a day smoker, I finally had the brains to quit 5 years ago and today I find smoking repulsive–I cannot believe I was that weak to depend on such a filthy product. You're right–it is your right to smoke just don't cry about it when you're dying from a disease attributed to smoking.

September 10, 2010 at 09:46 | Report abuse |
    • Turk

Well said Rich,

I just wanted to let everyone out there know that e-cigs are awesome. I switched to e-cigs about 8 months ago. To me, they tasted better than regular cigarettes. Gradually, I went from high to medium to low and then 0 nicotine. I vaped the 0 nicotine for about 2 months then quit. It was so much easier to quit because my body had gotten used to not having the nicotine. I invite everyone to try it for your health. It's been 2 months now with no smoking and no vaping.

September 10, 2010 at 09:52 | Report abuse |
    • barbara in indiana

fabulous reply Rich, honestly. i can't believe as much as us smokers are attacked these days for smoking they would attack such a product. this is ridiculous. so you don't want us to smoke, but you also don't want us to find a way that helps us quit knowing that gum, pills, therapy and such don't work for each person? nice. as they say, follow the money!

September 10, 2010 at 09:59 | Report abuse |
    • Inkt1

You are 100% correct. This is America and if one chooses to, say-consume cannabis as it is a healthier, safer alternative to alcohol, that is their right to put that into their body as well.

September 10, 2010 at 10:31 | Report abuse |
    • mary

i am a smoker and also use the e-cig when out in non-smoking places such as airplanes, restaurants. i couldn't agree with you more. you are 100% correct. i smoke around non-smokers who tell me that they can't smell any odor and they both are allergic to smoke. those people who put smokers down are now complaining because we are trying to be considerate of them. but, the fda doesn't mind making money off of smokers.

September 10, 2010 at 11:37 | Report abuse |
    • Weak Smoker

Smokers are idiots and shouldn't have the "right to smoke." Why would anyone have the "right" to use a product that will kill you and those around you? All you smokers are making the tobacco company CEO's extremely rich and providing the government w/ a steady source of tax revenue – not to mention becoming a drain on the healthcare system and using my tax dollars to keep you on life support after your years and years of smoking. Do any of you think you actually look attractive while you are standing outside smoking? What you look like is a weak outcast who no one, except other ridiculous smokers, wants to be around. Good luck w/ your lung diseases!!

September 10, 2010 at 13:31 | Report abuse |
    • ScottK

As an ex-smoker who used e-cigs to quit I can say the only people shaking with fear from E-cig's are the tobacco companies who are losing too many of their customers to the e-cig instead of cancer. The FDA is contsantly being lobbied by big tobacco which is the only reason we see this kind of warning. They allow all kinds of pharma drugs out on the market with little to no long term research as long as the commercial lets you know it may cause a nal leakage, but as soon as there is a product that actually helps people quit an expensive addiction they put out a public warning which then big tobacco can try and use to push more States like Oregon to ban them. To all current smokers, give the E-cig a try, it could change your life.

September 10, 2010 at 13:37 | Report abuse |
    • BobsaFool

Bob, you say 'We don't promote other products that are known to kill people as cigarettes do...." What about alcohol? What about fast food (heart attacks, strokes, hypertension etc)? What about automobiles (around 35,000 deaths a year in US)? I could go on and on.

September 10, 2010 at 13:48 | Report abuse |
    • Matt

Bob....E-cigs don't release smoke into the air. Someone could be toking on one all day next to you and you wouldn't have smoke or other toxic chemicals being released into the air.

September 10, 2010 at 15:07 | Report abuse |
    • Linda

I agree with you. And for those who don't – there are a lot of things that kill you that are around you every day. This is just one of them. I get extremely ill by certain perfumes – let's ban those too. Pollution, people rudely hacking in public transportation making people sick with who knows what. It's all relevant. Alcohol kills other people and if you are addicted – it can kill the drinker as it did my sister in law. Overeating can kill you ... should I go on? This is a stupid debate and since it is legal, then leave those who choose to smoke alone.

September 10, 2010 at 15:37 | Report abuse |
    • Noocrat

Weak Smoker,

"Smokers are idiots and shouldn't have the "right to smoke." – Should we also take away the right of obese people to eat to excess? Stop alcoholics from drowning themselves with liquor? At what point is it OK to say one person has the right to kill themselves one way but not another?

It's true second hand smoke affects other people. That's why many states, including my own, have banned it from restaurants, bars, and most public places. So at this point – should they choose to continue, they do so where they don't affect anyone but themselves (and potentially their loved ones).

That said, I can't stand to watch fat people gorge themselves. Don't worry, I've heard all the "we eat healthy" or "we don't eat that much" stories, it's not so, if you ate the correct proportions you wouldn't be the size you are. But in America we'll still let you eat yourself to an early grave without interference because it's your right. Even though you strain our healthcare system to excess, beyond the impact smokers make.

The real enemy here is lack of self-control or the ability to moderate one's intake. I love to eat. I love to drink. Once every month or two, I enjoy a good cigar or clove. Despite all that, I'm not an alcoholic, fat, or weezing after I walk up a flight of stairs.

If someone being a smoker is because they're "so weak", we seriously need to put every glutton in the same category. Of course everyone does something to excess so we'd all be in the same boat. I run 70-80 miles a week and 3-4 marathons a year. Excess exercise can lead to the release of extra free radicals, which are associated with cancer.

Addiction is real. Moderation is learned.

September 10, 2010 at 15:45 | Report abuse |
    • Melissa

Weak smoker, I hope that some day you can learn to like yourself.

September 10, 2010 at 15:51 | Report abuse |
    • Jim

Bob... after we get tobacoo banned, lets go after the fast food industry since obesity is hot on the heels of cigarettes as a leading cause of death in this country. After we get fast food banned, candy manufactuers are next up. Lets really clean this country up. Or, people that dont like smoke can simply avoid people that are smoking or places that allow it.

September 10, 2010 at 17:22 | Report abuse |
    • Qhit smoking & happy.

Smoked for 38 years & used the patches to help quit–not as hard as I thought it would be. Feel better..can taste food again.

September 10, 2010 at 17:54 | Report abuse |
    • Toking other stuff

I quit smoking cigs but not da ganja. It tastes better now & more intense high. "Here man..try some of this..it's pot."
      "You mean marihuana? Lord have mercy..is that what that is?! You have that & the US is gonna fall to da bad guys."

September 10, 2010 at 17:59 | Report abuse |
    • Blondegeisha

Right on Rich! Don't let anyone tell you what to do or not to do,I say party on! As a healthcare worker people like you give me lots of job security which is very appreciated right now..so I say go for it,keep buying and smoking real tobacco or e cigarettes or whatever its good for my business.

September 10, 2010 at 18:16 | Report abuse |
    • Dave

Bob, I disagree. No one has the right to breathe clean air- this is obvious by the fact that we are driving gasoline cars and not regulating industry in the ways we should.

September 10, 2010 at 19:02 | Report abuse |
    • Ruth Giard

I ordered the prado cig and the e-cig free trial and now they are trying to charge my credit card 149.90 for one and 99.95 for the other. DONT GO THERE WITH THEM COMPANYS THEY ARE RIP-OFFS.They dont post that they are going to charge you for the free tial where you can see it they post it in the terms and condition where it is not in plain sight so beware of them

February 7, 2011 at 09:48 | Report abuse |
  2. Kehau

Couldn't say it any better myself!!

September 10, 2010 at 02:52 | Report abuse | Reply
    • uh huh dats right

Then don't sat anything...geeze!

September 10, 2010 at 18:00 | Report abuse |
  3. James

I understand there are legal issues regarding what can be claimed by e-cig makers/sellers. As a "vaper", however I am under no such rules....

E-cigarettes helped me to quit smoking. I've gone 7 months without a traditional cigarette. Thank you.

September 10, 2010 at 09:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Janice

Rich, I couldn't have said it better. I think as the e-cigs start becoming more and more popular, the powers that be will be looking for their cut as in a way to tax or any other fee they can put on them. I think that is what the commotion is about anyway. They want their cut!

September 10, 2010 at 09:51 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. megan

I loved my e-cigs! I went for sooo long without smoking a traditional cigarette (lol some are calling them "analog" now). But now I'm smoke free and happy. I don't mind if someone else smokes because I know how hard it is to quit. Sometimes I still get an urge, but I just keep myself busy and try to ignore it.

September 10, 2010 at 10:07 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Joe

I love the double talk from the FDA. Cigarettes are bad and will kill you and everyone should stop but don't use the e-cigarette because it has some of the same bad stuff but might actually make you quite cigarettes all together. So you can have 100% of the drug but any less than 100% is bad. Either way what happens when they don't have the tobacco companies any more? Where will the employees get jobs and where will the make up taxs dollars come from?

September 10, 2010 at 10:09 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Emily

Where is the FDA approval for regular cigarettes?!?

September 10, 2010 at 10:16 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Weak Smoker

Exactly! The only reason this product is "legal" is b/c of the tax revenue. This is the only product that if used correctly and as intended will put you 6 feet underground.

September 10, 2010 at 13:32 | Report abuse |
  8. Emily

Does the FDA get money for every product they endorse?

September 10, 2010 at 10:17 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Michael

No, the FDA doesn't get money for every drug they research.

The FDA is in the business of making sure that products sold to US consumers are safe and have oversight. When they fail to do their job, people die from e. coli poisoning and the like. Anyone who uses e-cigs should welcome the FDA looking into the companies that sell them. Impurities in the manufacturing process could introduce a toxin that might take years to manifest, but eventually prove fatal to many people attempting to quite smoking while using them.

The FDA won't set taxes, and they can't make e-cigs illegal without just cause. But they could potentially save the lives of people from a fly-by-night company that is looking to get rich while using less than safe suppliers. Yes, the FDA sometimes screws up, just like companies and just like the government. But if they don't do their job, they the consumer will have no recourse or advocate until people start dying.

September 10, 2010 at 12:17 | Report abuse |
  9. tina

Oregon BANNED the e-cigarettes here :(..... Which i was SMOKING, NOW I have to go back to smoking the real stuff...THANKS OREGON FREAKIN A-&$#& Holes!

September 10, 2010 at 10:17 | Report abuse | Reply
    • becks

Hmm I wonder why..maybe it was because e-cig advertisers were sitting at stands in the middle of the small smoking what looked exactly like a cigarette and trying to look super cool. Do you think that anybody walking by wouldn't notice? Mainly kids and teenagers? I'm sorry, but the e-cig industry has not made a good impression of itself advertising to the younger generation.

September 10, 2010 at 13:32 | Report abuse |
    • Orbdragon

@Becks Wait, adults don't go to the mall??

September 14, 2010 at 09:45 | Report abuse |
  10. IMHO

Lighten up on the FDA, you guys. Can't you recognize "CYA" when you see it? They just want it documented so that when, somewhere down the pike, someone comes up with a suit saying they were in some way harmed by this new product, they can't also name the federal agency in the action for being remiss in their duty to protect the public. We live in very litigious times and, if a federal government agency is successfully sued, they pay off in taxpayer dollars. That's yours and mine, folks.

September 10, 2010 at 10:21 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Peter

No, the FDA is really just a power hungry beast that would like to regulate everything for the sake of having control.

September 10, 2010 at 14:32 | Report abuse |
  11. chaz

I have been using the ecig for quite some time now and breath & feel much better and don’t hack my lungs up! My Dr. said that my lungs sound great now. As far as second hand smoke goes for the people that are concerned about that don’t have to be because it is vapor not smoke! My understanding is the vapor evaporates. If they want to take this away so be it I will go back to killing myself, offending the non smokers and funding the FDA. Now let’s all go outside and breathe some second hand car fumes!

September 10, 2010 at 10:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Anna

Re: the diethylene glycol found in the e-cig juice–that compound is also a tobacco humectant. While the FDA is screaming about that being present in the juice, what they also failed to mention is that it was present in the same trace quantities as found in nicotene replacement products such as patches. There is no evidence that this juice is anywhere NEARLY as carcinogenic as cigarette smoke. The FDA's attempts to ban e-cigarettes is denying people who smoke the most promising harm-reduction alternative to have come along, and if successful will likely drive some e-cig users back to traditional cigarettes, and condemn people to die from smoking-related illness.

September 10, 2010 at 10:31 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. qaz668

They may not be able to market them as a device that helps people to quit but my mother had smoked for over 50 years. She tried and failed to quit tobacco smoking many times. She was able to switch to electronic cigarettes without any moodiness or withdrawal symptoms and she is happy to have switched to a product that does not deposit any tar in her lungs.

The propylene glycol used in them is the same thing used in theatrical smoke machines (which club owners expose their customers and workers to nightly). Propylene glycol is the same chemical which has been used in foods and medications for decades. Furthermore, all the flavorings added to the PG are food grade materials.

The FDA can whine all they want to that they have not been tested but I would much rather my mom be using these than to continue to smoke tobacco which the FDA allows to be sold, knowing they are full of toxins. If you are not going to ban cigarettes, and we all know you are not going to, leave this better alternative alone! I am glad everyday for the kit she got from http://www.CleanGreenNicotine.com

September 10, 2010 at 11:09 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Orbdragon

Just so you know, whoever bought that kit paid WAY too much!

September 14, 2010 at 09:49 | Report abuse |
    • RichE

It's not really that expensive when you figure how much a typical one or two pack a day smoker spends on cigarettes a month. A carton of premium cigs like Marlboro cost well over sixty dollars. To a one or two pack a day smoker, thats buying three cartons a month.
      The refills for e-cigs cost thirteen dollars for five, one lasts about equivalent to two packs of cigs. Also equivalent to a carton.
      Thats a big savings.

January 30, 2011 at 14:02 | Report abuse |
  14. Spliner

Nicotine is NOT a controlled substance, therefore it cannot be considered a "drug". Its a stimulant like caffeine. Calling E-Cigs "Drug Delivery Devices" is just plain stupidity. They are no more a drug delivery device than a spoon is. If they want Nicotine to be a controlled substance fine, make it controlled.. require a prescription for it.. lets see them pull THAT off. They only thing the FDA is protecting here is the money they get from big tobacco companies. If you're a vendor out there who got one of these letters, change your websites and tell them to go away. Don't admit that E-Cigs are something they are not!

September 10, 2010 at 11:22 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. ApeHanger

Smoking is a disgusting habit. Also, have any of you smokers ever realized how stupid you look with one of those things hanging out of your mouth?

September 10, 2010 at 11:23 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Inkt1

Smoking is not a habit. Biting your nails is a habit. Smoking is a nicotine addiction and it is one of the most difficult to break.

September 10, 2010 at 11:30 | Report abuse |
    • mary

your name says it all

September 10, 2010 at 11:39 | Report abuse |
    • Jim

Judgemental people who want to ban everything they don't like are disgusting.

September 10, 2010 at 11:56 | Report abuse |
    • Dean

You are a moron. You know how stupid you look with a cheeseburger hanging out your mouth? Don't criticize people's decisions – because I'm sure you make a few of them yourself....just another ignoramus

September 10, 2010 at 12:13 | Report abuse |
    • Weak Smoker

Couldn't agree w/ you more. Smokers look like idiots and pathetic losers who can't control their urges. This product can and will kill you. Think about your family when they're crying over your casket b/c you wanted to pay $10 a pack to perform an activity that was guaranteed to kill you.

September 10, 2010 at 13:35 | Report abuse |
    • Linda

I agree it is NOT a habit, it is an addiction – like anyother addiction and will make you sick by just quitting.

September 10, 2010 at 15:40 | Report abuse |
  16. ballistic misanthrope

The PV (personal vaporizer) is entirely dissimilar to a tobacco cigarette within the context of deleterious health effects. It is a sensible, legitimate recreational substitute to the distasteful alternative, that being the inhalation of cancer-correlated nitrosamines as found in tobacco smoke. Furthermore, as the hobby seems to present no immediate threat to the primary user, there is practically no evidence to suggest that passive inhalation could be damaging to bystanders.

In light of these positive attributes it is sensible to suspect that conglomerated tobacco and the pharmaceutical industry would aggressively apply marketing and lobbyist pressure to ensure these products are stifled. Altria, R.J. Reynolds, and Lorrilard have enacted strategic policies of disingenuous conciliation in cooperating with the FDA insofar as they stand to benefit from the legal indemnity that accompanies more stringent degrees of regulation. It is entirely probable that the lucrative symbiosis between cigarette manufacturers and the smoking cessation industry stands to be more profitable than ever now that they aren't perpetually mitigating their liability in the deaths of their customers.

September 10, 2010 at 11:26 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Inkt1

Second hand smoke contains twice the amount of nicotine as first hand. How much nictotine do bystanders inhale from this? Would an ex smoker be forced to consume the drug they fought long and hard to get out from under? I don't know the answer to these questions but I'm just sayin'.

September 10, 2010 at 11:38 | Report abuse |
    • Spliner

Second hand smoke cannot possibly have twice the nicotine.

September 10, 2010 at 12:22 | Report abuse |
    • ballistic misanthrope

You're addressing a datum specific to tobacco smoke produced by a burning cigarette, and it is not a suitable analog to the use of a personal vaporizer. Are you suggesting that smoke which is processed through human lungs somehow increases the content of total particulate matter upon exhalation? I'm no pulmonologist, but I doubt that pursuing that digression from logic would bear out in support of your position.

I believe the information you're repeating is specifically applicable to smoke which emanates passively from the burning ember of a cigarette. Permit me to disabuse you of the notion that personal vaporizers mimic this behavior. To the contrary, they produce vapor only when activated and channel it directly to the user, thus eliminating the introduction of any "doubly dangerous" aerosol to the air around them.

September 10, 2010 at 12:22 | Report abuse |
    • Inkt1

My references are the American Heart and Lung Association.

September 10, 2010 at 13:14 | Report abuse |
    • Linda

I tried to find info on that statement that 2nd hand smoke has more nicotine – couldn't find it and I don't believe it either. I did find that most people who die from 2nd hand smoke live with a smoker and that 2nd hand smoke in the air has not been even studied and the experts don't believe there is any concern either! So don't live with a smoker and shut up.
      An estimated 46,000 deaths from heart disease in non-smokers who live with smokers

What about smoking odors?
      There is no research in the medical literature about the cancer-causing effects of cigarette odors. Research does show that secondhand tobacco smoke can get into hair, clothing, and other surfaces.

Some researchers call this "thirdhand" smoke. This refers to the toxic particles that are left in the air after you can no longer see the smoke. Over time, they settle on surfaces and can be measured long after the person is done smoking. Though unknown, the cancer-causing effects would likely be very small compared with direct exposure to secondhand smoke, such as living in a house with a smoker. But this is an active area of tobacco research.

September 10, 2010 at 15:50 | Report abuse |
    • Linda

Inkt1
      There is no such organization. There is an American Lung Association and an American Heart Association, but not both.

September 10, 2010 at 15:55 | Report abuse |
    • inkt1

@Linda- 1) I know that Heart Association and Lung Association are two different entities. I didn't pluralize the word association in my first post, forgive me the typo. 2) I sit corrected-I couldn't find that info on either site myself but I assume that my info was outdated-I don't make things up just to be argumentative. When I read the information that I was referring to it was when I first quit smoking in 2007 so the info may have been changed but I SWEAR THAT I READ THAT ON AT LEAST THE LUNG ASSN SITE. Lastly–is there ANY nicotine in second hand smoke? Cause if the answer is yes (it is) then my point still stands true. A recovered alcoholic can go to a bar and CHOOSE to drink coffee. It would be quite a different story if every time the guy across the room had a beer you had no choice but to absorb the alcohol.

September 10, 2010 at 20:43 | Report abuse |
  17. Jim

Has the FDA any common sense whatsoever?

So if chewing gums state that they can help you stop smoking (at which, obviously, they are very helpful) they are officially labelled "smoking deterrent drug product"? Idiots!

September 10, 2010 at 11:52 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. becky

FDA is an outdated bureaucracy. I love my e-cig, so does my husband, family and doctor.

September 10, 2010 at 12:05 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Michael

No, the FDA doesn't get money for every drug they research.

The FDA won't set taxes, and they can't make e-cigs illegal without just cause. But they could potentially save the lives of people from a fly-by-night company that is looking to get rich while using less than safe suppliers. Yes, the FDA sometimes screws up, just like companies and just like the government. But if they don't do their job, then the consumer will have no recourse or advocate until people start dying.

Ultimately, the basic principal of checks and balances is what makes our government better than many others out there. What you really need to watch out for is the source of the regulatory pressure. Who would benefit most from e-cigs being banned? Not the government...the tobacco companies. Who would also benefit if people started to drop dead from using e-cigs and the exact source/cause took some time to track down? The tobacco companies. If some e-cigs turn out to be fatal, it will scare other potential users off the method, not necessarily the guilty company. Especially if it is a supplier which sells to more than one manufacturer.

Idiots are the people who think that capitalism needs absolutely no government oversight, and that business owners act in logical and compassionate manner 100% of the time.

September 10, 2010 at 12:28 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Orbdragon

Consider also that Big Pharma stand to gain much from the banning of e-cigs. After all, their products cost as much/more than a carton of cigarettes, but very little of that cost is in taxes. Both BT and BP stand to lose a lot if you pick up an e-cigarette and get off their merry-go-round of quit.

September 14, 2010 at 10:12 | Report abuse |
    • Orbdragon

Additionally, tobacco companies make significantly less than the government does when one buys a pack of smokes; in many states, more than 50% of the cost of cigarettes is in taxes that go to the state and federal governments.

September 14, 2010 at 10:14 | Report abuse |
  20. Steph

I quit smoking using the ecig 15 months ago after smoking for 30 years. All other FDA approved treatments failed. This product does not produce second hand smoke, is not a fire hazard and has a very high success rate. Most of the ecig companies have changed their labeling and claims that indicate that ecigs are smoking deterrents after the FDA started to confiscate the products, illegally I might add, because the FDA lost the battle in court. I could understand the position of the FDA if the companies had not changed their labeling months ago to comply, but they did, the FDA lost the battle in court, yet they can't stop themselves. Again, this product eliminates second hand smoke and is effective, yet the FDA continues to go after this product. Why??? Why don't they go into health food stores and look at all of those products that state false claims to help every health condition from smoking to cancer. And I suppose that the pharmaceutical and tobacco companies are not encouraging them at all. The FDA needs to focus on dangerous drugs that are approved and remain on the market anyway.

September 10, 2010 at 12:34 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. HedShakr

This is a joke. Not a single letter writer above gives the slightest indication that he or she knows anything about drug approval/safety monitoring processes. You all look at the FDA as some incompetent, sinister agency out to make your lives miserable. It's a scientific regulatory body charged with protecting patient safety; a near impossible task given the sheer numbers of compounds it is faced with evaluating. Even with the most stringent guidelines available, drugs like Vioxx or Seldane slip through and people die. Yet you would all prefer to disband the agency and go back to days of horse-drawn buggies and snake oil salesmen. Good luck with the chemotherapy you buy from someone just passing through town.

As far as the "testimonials" about e-cigs above: other readers should consider that many, if not all of these letters, are simply planted in these comments by e-cig manufacturers.

Smokers, go ahead and puff away. Just be considerate and keep your waste products away from non-smokers: including smoke, ashes, and butts.

And to the knucklehead who stated that nicotine is not a controlled substance. So what? It happens to be an alkaloid poison and therefore requires monitoring. While the fractional amount in a cigarette is not considered poisonous, a small drop of pure nicotine placed on your skin will kill you. Soak a few packs of cigarettes in tap water and you can extract enough nicotine to distill a powerful insecticide. A little more purity and you can start knocking off humans. Oh, and good luck with that "ignore letters from the FDA" strategy.

September 10, 2010 at 13:18 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Rich

HedShakr, your post is a tad incoherent and suspiciously like what one might expect an exasperated and overworked FDA employee to say. About half of your statements support the argument that the FDA has much bigger things to worry about than e-ciggs/nicotine vapor.

Re: testimonials planted by e-cig manufacturers, I’m sure it happens and I am always weary of the comments that link to a particular vendor. But I don’t understand the logic there either – are you saying e-ciggs are bad because they are dangerous or because they are hype and cigarette smokers don’t really experience any benefit from them at all? If it were proven to you that smokers, who really are the affected party here, do find this product to be overwhelmingly less damaging to their immediate wellbeing, would you say it merits further consideration before it’s just yanked away from them?

September 11, 2010 at 05:50 | Report abuse |
  22. RigidPrinciples

Just smoke marijuana instead, as then you totally bypass the FDA.

September 10, 2010 at 13:20 | Report abuse | Reply
    • steeve-o

Better yet, vaporize your pot! You get high, you get less carcinogens, and you feel like Jabba the Hut.

September 10, 2010 at 13:23 | Report abuse |
  23. steeve-o

These things are ridiculous. Smoking is bad for you, but at least there was some craftsmanship involved in a nice cigar, or a quality tobacco in a Nat Sherman. These things are for freaking robots.

What really gets me are the dingbats who walk into stores puffing on their E-cig, like smoking anything other than a cigarette is allowed! Signs say No Smoking, they don't say No Smoking Tobacco. Not that its a health concern, but watching someone smoke makes smokers want to smoke.
    Sure you don't stink, you're not turning your lungs black (we don't think), but you still look like a tool. Throw the crutch away.

September 10, 2010 at 13:21 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Me

Vapor! NOT SMOKE. idiot

September 10, 2010 at 14:39 | Report abuse |
    • steeve-o

Smoke contains vapor, so let's break down the components of smoke and outlaw only those with particulate matter in them. Or, how about we change the signs to say "No Crutches" (unless you're handicapped).

September 11, 2010 at 08:14 | Report abuse |
  24. V Saxena

I am very excited to switch to an e-cigarette soon. The beauty is that it allows your taste buds to grow back, and it is 100% lung-cancer safe - assuming you choose a reliable and trustworthy brand. Keep in mind though that the risk of heart disease still remains, as it is the nicotine itself that leads to arteriosclerosis, heart attacks, strokes, and of course heart disease. Mind you, exercising daily and eating healthy can greatly reduce the risk. Sorry to babble, but I'm preparing to market these things, so I've been reading and writing a bunch on them!

September 10, 2010 at 13:23 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. Weak Smoker

Smokers are WEAK MINDED PEOPLE who can't seem to connect the dots that smoking will kill you. It is the only product that if used correctly and the way it is intended to be used will kill you and cause serious harm to those around you. The only reason this "death product" is still able to be bought and sold is b/c of the tax revenue. I, as a healthy non-smoker who values my health and those around me, should not be forced to inhale your death fumes – whether that be walking down the street behind you or walking by you on the sidewalk b/c you're an outcast who is forced outside to perform an activity that is slowly but surely killing you and those around you. If smokers aren't so weak, then why don't any of them try not smoking and see how strong they really are.

September 10, 2010 at 13:26 | Report abuse | Reply
    • RigidPrinciples

Non-smokers are more weak-minded, as non-smokers get addicted to smoking environments, whereas smokers just get addicted to nicotine. You have to admit you know several non-smokers who would frequent smoking establishments, even though they didn't like smoke. We need to be teaching the children about the dangers of non-smokers becoming addicting to these smoking environments.

September 10, 2010 at 13:30 | Report abuse |
    • Weak Smoker

rigidprinciples – did you really just type this??? "Non-smokers are more weak-minded, as non-smokers get addicted to smoking environments" What exactly is that blanket statement supposed to mean? Couldn't be further from the truth. As someone who has NEVER smoked, I actually avoid going to places where smokers are and if any establishment (restuarant, bar, etc) encourage or allow smoking I do not go there and spend any of my money.

September 10, 2010 at 13:40 | Report abuse |
    • Inkt1

Then I guess those of us who have smoked and then quit possess much more willpower than you could even imagine. You've never had to overcome the adversity of chemical addiction so you don't even get it. I quit cold turkey 10/15/08 and I will tell you that it was an exercise in willpower. It certainly changed the definition of the phrase "skin crawling".

September 10, 2010 at 13:50 | Report abuse |
    • RigidPrinciples

The bottom line is if you don't like smoke, you shouldn't frequent smoking establishments. Smoking bans do nothing except to try and curb the non-smoker's addiction to smoking environments.

The government does not have the privilege to legislate whether or not you can, or can't allow smoking in a business, as that is completely up to the property owner, in a world where there is not synonymity between rights and privileges. The goal is to curb the non-smoker's addiction to smoking environments, but smoking bans are not a good means to that end. The only person who can help the non-smoker from themself is the non-smoker.

It would've been much better to implement a sales tax on alcohol, to provide each non-smoker with a support person, who would hold their hand as they walk around all day. Prior to the non-smoker not being to help themselves, and going into a smoking establishment, the support person could then pull them by the hand, and gently whisper in their ear, "don't go there, you don't like smoke".

But instead, folks like the version of democracy which is tyranny by many, which is no better than tyranny by one.

September 10, 2010 at 13:53 | Report abuse |
    • Keith in Seattle

Yeah and the same arguement could be made for AA, NA, CA and their likes. Heck we can even say that religion is for weak minded fools as well with your logic.

September 10, 2010 at 14:55 | Report abuse |
  26. Julie

A friend of mine and I have quit smoking with eCigs. This is after going psyhco on the drugs like Chantix and Wellbutrin and trying the patch, the gum, and everything else.

September 10, 2010 at 13:48 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Bluest

You're lucky. My friends wife is dying. After a quadruple bypass, she couldn't quit smoking. She was given the patch, but she still snuck a smoke at work. Now she's dying. Thank whatever god you believe in that you found something that works for you, and that your family doesn't have to watch you die a long, slow, smokers death. Thank your maker that you don't have to put your family through that torture.

September 26, 2010 at 23:37 | Report abuse |
  27. CDC

This is all such BS!
    What about fast food chains full of saturated fat and salt to kill you.
    And, why in the #@!! are there parking lots at bars? So people can drink and drive and kill you!
    For those of you bashing on smokers and calling us "weak," go bash on someone else!

September 10, 2010 at 13:56 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Keith in Seattle

Agreed, they want to make us use only poison that's "approved" by their league of thugs.

September 10, 2010 at 14:53 | Report abuse |
  28. chaz

Back to the Subject:
    1. Ecigs produce Vapor that evaporates (No second hand smoke) hints the word smoke!
    2. 98% less bad stuff in ecigs compared to burning tobacco.
    3. The real reason that the FDA cares is big tobacco (MONEY) Otherwise cigarettes would be illegal because they have pretty good proof that they may kill you. Just like alcohol abuse (one or more things most politicians use).
    4. Yes Nicotine is addictive and unfortunately most people start smoking at that I'm superman stage in their life and then can’t quit. Non-smokers don’t have a clue and should keep it as an opinion not to speak as if they understand and have been there on the subject of addiction to nicotine. Just as people who bash other people with other addictions that they have never experienced.
    5. The FDA has a purpose to try to provide the American people security / protection from food and drugs that have worst side effects than value to treat, cure or prevent. Ecigs treat nicotine addiction in a much safer way.

And no I’m not from ecig manufacturer or even know one. I think all the ecigs are made overseas? There are some vaping modifications that look nothing like a cigarette that are made by individuals in America.

Conclusion: The FDA is getting pressure from Big Tobacco (profits) & Government (not the tax revenue cash cow that tobacco is).

It’s always about the money!

September 10, 2010 at 15:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  29. really?

i've almost competely quit smoking on the e-cig. it has been wonderful, and i trusted it to work with no side effects 100% over the FDA-approved psycho drug Chantix.

September 10, 2010 at 15:27 | Report abuse | Reply
    • steeve-o

Good for you, man. Now try to put down the e-cig.

September 11, 2010 at 08:02 | Report abuse |
  30. dgfg

We're the government, we're here to help you

September 10, 2010 at 15:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  31. paul

E-cig works, it helped me quit smoking!!!
    FDA how about band Cigarette Sale if you care so much about people's health!

September 10, 2010 at 15:33 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. Chris

I am very pleased to read so many thoughtful posts regarding e-cigs. The quit or die antis will always be there as they are continually fed misleading snippets by the FDA, ASH, and the alphabet of organizations "looking out for our best interests". Sure why not have every bit of vaping tested from the liquids to the cartridges to the "second hand" vapor. Absolutely there needs to be legislation in place to keep this alternative to smoking available to adults only. However the overwhelming evidence that the potential dangers of e-cigs over regular cigs demands that this alternative not be banned while testing is conducted. Testing will take years. Some of us choose not to give up nicotine, some e-cig users don't use any nicotine. Nicotine is not the danger here. Combustion of 4,000+ other chemicals found in cigarettes is what kills. Removing these products from the market is essentially saying go back to the 4000+ chemicals in the cigarettes we can't ban while we test the handful of chemicals in e-cigs to be sure you are not in any danger. Ludicrous.

September 10, 2010 at 15:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  33. a fact

I believe everyone who has posted on here and those who have not will some day be 6 feet under.

September 10, 2010 at 16:22 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Andrew

Most insightful post here..........

September 10, 2010 at 17:30 | Report abuse |
    • Bluest

creamation, baby

September 26, 2010 at 23:30 | Report abuse |
  34. Alex

------–
    Have you ever checked EVERY energy drink, EVERY nutritional suppliment..... NONE have been approved by the FDA. Does this mean they are in violation as well? If people find this a good alternative to smoking, and it helps them quit...more power to them.

September 10, 2010 at 16:31 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. Nick in Philly

Smoking directly affects people who don't smoke because of second-hand smoke, not to mention the horrible smell. I don't think people should be allowed to smoke ANYTHING in public, especially when there's kids around. (I cringe when I see parents smoking while driving with a little kid in the back seat)

E-cig's are harmless for everyone except the person using them, so I don't see why they should be banned. Same thing with most other illegal drugs, and alcohol for that matter. If people want to kill themselves in the confines of their own home, then I say go for it. They just shouldn't be permitted to do it in public, or drive while under the influence of those substances.

So, taking this to under level, I say legalize all drugs, tax the heck out of them, and increase the penalties for people using them in public or found publicly under the influence. Then people can do what they want and have their personal freedoms, without infringing on my personal freedom to avoid all that garbage.

September 10, 2010 at 16:34 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Bluest

How harmless is this e-Cig? Held by the bored e-Cig babe at the e-Cig booth at the mall, she blows smoke rings at the kids, she tells them; "it isn't really smoking, anyone can do it".

How harmless?

September 26, 2010 at 23:29 | Report abuse |
  36. CDC

Nick in Philly:
    I completely agree. Being a smoker, I am ashamed of it and don't do it much in public because of that reason and because I don't want to harm another's health, not because I am "weak," as some people have posted. Quitting is much easier said than done. Can I call someone who is obese and hooked on McDonald's poison food "weak?" Can I call those people who don't eat organic "weak" because they say they "can't afford it" and, instead, eat foods full of pesticides?
    If the FDA cared so much about us and our health, then where's the ban on just about everything there is out there? It all comes down to money, plain and simple, and your idea is a great one!

September 10, 2010 at 16:59 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Nick in Philly

Thanks. As someone who watched 2 grandparents die horrible smoking-related deaths while they were in their 60's, and who's best friend's mom is dealing with lung cancer right now (she's in her 60's too), I can't say that all smokers are weak or stupid or anything of the sort. I loved my grandparents, and they were GREAT people. They just had an addiction, plain and simple, and it ended up killing them.

I WILL say that I believe smokers are very selfish, because smoking doesn't do anything Positive for ANYONE around you, but it does do a lot of NEGATIVE things. I still have a bit of anger towards my grandparents because I feel like I missed out on a lot of time with them (I was a teenager when they died). But I could also call out myself for being selfish when I gorge myself at the Chinese Buffet once a week, when I have a newborn son at home who will be looking up to me and learning eating habits within the next few years. I guess we all have our vices.

September 10, 2010 at 17:12 | Report abuse |
  37. Observer

For those of you who are intolerant of anyone that is not like you, a quote from the Movie "Demolition Man" comes to mind.
    You see, according to Cocteau's plan, I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think; I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech and freedom of choice. I'm the kind of guy who likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecued ribs with the side order of gravy fries?" I WANT high cholesterol. I wanna eat bacon and butter and BUCKETS of cheese, okay? I want to smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section. I want to run through the streets naked with green Jell-o all over my body reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly might feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiener".

September 10, 2010 at 17:12 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Nick in Philly

I agree with the t-bone steak, ribs, gravy fries, cholesterol, bacon, butter, and cheese. It's your right to do all that. AND you can run around naked covered in jello smoking a Cuban cigar all you want too, but it has to be in your home, or someone's home who is ok with you doing it.

September 10, 2010 at 17:25 | Report abuse |
    • Sssssssmoker.....

Gotta love Dennis! lol

September 10, 2010 at 18:27 | Report abuse |
  38. Wade N Ginger N Eastman Georgia

I to can not understand why such things a POT or smoking weed is a banned product in the United States,Other than the cold hard fact that the Federal Government has been losing money by not being able to TAX it. That alone is the only reason why POT is classified as an illegal drug. I can in no way see where it would be any different than nicotine. I grew up in a home where both of my parents smoked and I couldn't wait until I didn't have to breath all that second hand smoke. Now my mother is 60 yrs old with almost no lung capacity at all yep due to smoking. I too can't understand why this country has let this go on for so long, Smoking kills and it is a KNOWN fact. Why must the Federal Government let it go on? Well it ALL goes back to that three letter word we all hate so damn much ( TAX ) Money is what our Government is all about the more they got the more they want and they will steal, kill,and even sell illegal drugs for money after all they were getting money that was directly related to Columbian cocain in the 80's and none of the top dogs involved were put in prison.Only the poor guys that had to sling it. It must be nice to be able to do such things and get paid,and paid well and not even worry about getting busted because your the ones that does the busting.Smoking KILLS thats the bottom line and that alone should say something.People smoke and get cancer and they blame it on the makers of the cigaretts and win millions in doing so..thats just wrong...

September 10, 2010 at 17:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  39. Sssssssmoker.....

There's gotta be nothing worse or holier than thou than a former smoker.

September 10, 2010 at 18:23 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Bluest

Not true....the former smoker who fell off the bandwagon, or the widow of a smoker, or the smoker with an oxygen tank – now there's a guy who doesn't care what YOU think! lol

September 26, 2010 at 23:18 | Report abuse |
  40. bob

It is all about money and power to control others.

September 10, 2010 at 19:44 | Report abuse | Reply
  41. Rich

Reading through these comments is truly fascinating.

Yes, we should just ban cigarettes altogether, along with bungee jumping, Mexicans, Qurans, body piercing and everything else we "real Americans" disapprove of, and then America will be truly great. But don't tread on me with your big government and be sure to "defend the Constitution." Even though i've never read it and have no clue what makes this country different from any other podunk ethnic enclave where all that matters is adhering to the arbitrary values of one particular tribe that thinks it's better than everyone else. And then of course there are the Liberals who are so smart and Enlightened they could rid the world of the common cold if only everyone shut their trap and followed their orders.

Seriously, people – forget about cigarettes, the really dangerous cancer is in our democracy.

September 11, 2010 at 05:07 | Report abuse | Reply
    • SAM

I commend you.....Very well SAID RICH

September 13, 2010 at 07:46 | Report abuse |
    • Bluest

Hm. Maybe if you DID read our constitution, some history texts, some costitutions of other countries, and some other histories, then you might understand a bit more than you do now. It certainly coudn't hurt.

September 26, 2010 at 23:16 | Report abuse |
  42. SAM

Why dont they WARB DRINKERS on the POISON THEIR DRINKING and What they do to Others when under the INFLUENCE ????? naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa BOOZE IS GOOD FOR YOU RIGHT ?

September 11, 2010 at 05:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  43. Kevin

I find the byline included in this story offensive and misleading to the reader. The so called "Public health" groups backing the drive to ban the E-cigarette, as they have done in many other countries, are also known as "stakeholder partners" at the World health organization [WHO].

Comprised mainly of for pay non profit and charity groups, which in the vast majority of cases were formed specifically; to support the directly paid financial interests they all share. The announced partnership between the WHO and it's non elected political patronage appointees, with diplomatic immunity no less, and the conflicted drug companies, who have invested literally Billions into an anti smoker ad campaign. Allotment of their own money, Tax payers money and private donations, given by the naive to "find cures" [not eternal treatments] of registered medical charities. All used to support the interests of a private for profit concern. Strategised by dividing once peaceful communities with nothing less than a paternalist, self sanctomonious and absolutely bigoted message, railing against anyone who dares to smoke a still quite legal cigarette. Resources otherwise targeted to the beterment of inclusive societies, are now dedicated without restriction to the sales and promotions of snake oil gummy patchy products. Touted deceitfully as FDA approved "medical treatments". "Treatments" with [unrestricted on the shelf] sales [promoted with cartoons and child attractive candy flavorings] in the billions annualy, with an abysmal 97% failure rate in acomplishing what they advertise. The so called "recomended" and in some places "required" "medical treatments" Which if used to treat an addiction, compared to non treatment and cold turkey, with a 46% chance of success. Are more realistically being used to maintain addiction to keep the cash addiction satisfied, for all the so called "Public Health" parties concerned.

The broad media acceptance of these so called "Public Health" groups, in any perspective of providing valid advice and especially "medical advice" to support self autonomy, is more than criminal, it is absolutely reprehensible.

September 11, 2010 at 07:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  44. LHnTX

I've been using e-cigs since Feb 2009, so I've been "analog" free for about 19 months now. I still crave the real thing, but the e-cig has certainly made it a lot easier to slowy wean myself from the habit of 25 years. BTW... it really angers me when the non-smokers get on their holier than thou stage and want to ban all smoking. I live in Houston, and I can tell you that the air itself is much worse than cigarette air could ever be. I don't drink and I see a lot of drunk drivers kill people every day, so let's ban drinking! Oh, wait. That didn't work to well in the past, did it? All banning something does it make it go under ground and cost a lot more.

September 11, 2010 at 11:33 | Report abuse | Reply
  45. SAM

When we look at things that Maye be dangerous for us we need to really look deep,Flying,driving a car,bikes,boats,Etc..So then We have Million of AMERICANS DRIVING AND DRINKING and nobody says a WORD about a BIG CRACKDOWN on the MAIN THING THAT HARMS OTHER,I mean HARMS OTHERS.....And seeing Smoking as they SAY CAN SAVE so many lives and COSTS THIS SOCIETY SO MUCH MONEY because of it,WHY IS IT ALCOHOL that COSTS THIS NATION $235 Billion a YEAR just for its use is always OVERLOOKED ? and WHy is it so Upsetting to think that E SMOKES dont work ? Well they DO,Ive been on one for 2 Years and let me tell you that they do work on some,but maybe not on others,Next the FDA APPROVED ALL OF THE INGREDIENTS IN THE LIQUID used in the E SMOKE for HUMAN CONSUMPTION,Propelyne GLYCOL is in MOUTHWASH,TOOTHPASTE,ETC,Glycerine is in CUPCAKE COverings and so on,SO why the DOUBLE TALK ? Because They only want to ban SMOKING altogether but LET THE DRINKERS KEEP ON WITH THEIR RAVING ,KIlling,Raping,Murdering,Stealing,And BEATING or ABUSING THEIR SPOUSES,SO they can keep the COURT SYSTEM,DOCTORS,Hospitals making BILLIONS.............ALL HIPPOCRITS

September 13, 2010 at 07:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  46. Mike

E-cig vapor has very few chemicals in it compared to tobacco smoke and of those chemicals found in e-vapor, none has been deemed harmful of cancer-causing. This means that smoking an eleectronic cigarette is simply a healthier alternative and not a smoking cessation tool. I feel much better since I started smoking mine, plus I've saved a bundle. Look for one at www mistycig com. Good luck my fellow smokers!

September 13, 2010 at 09:08 | Report abuse | Reply
    • StupidMyself

Hi Mike,

I'm interested in any report that can shed some light on the byproduct exhaled. Could you direct me to a site or share a report with me.

Thanks

February 9, 2011 at 18:50 | Report abuse |
  47. Vicks

The smoking debate...quite possibly the most heated debate since alcohol prohibition, or the abortion debates. And why? It involves lifestyle choices, and puritanical/morality issues. Smokers have a guilty pleasure, a vice. They imbibe in a substance that is dangerous to the body. But, given that this is America, and people have the right to make bad choices and live with the consequences, they can do so.
    The problem comes in when another group (in this specific case, the anti-smokers) targets the group (the smokers) indulging in this unhealthy activity, because they simply don't like it (for whatever reasons...).
    So what ensues from this difference in opinion? Hostility, as each side tries to sway the other to their opinion. Tactics used include name-calling, derision, and poor-sportsmanship (aka, gloating).
    I, for one, and tired of the morality and child-like behavior coming from BOTH sides of this particular argument – the anti's scream out that 'they have the right to breathe clean air,' and 'good luck with that cancer!' The smokers scream out that 'It's my right to choose to smoke,' and 'I'm an addict, pity me!!"
    Vapers are stuck inbetween BOTH of these monoliths, and (this is the scary part, here) have the potential to SOLVE this age-old argument, if only the primary protagonists would stop and LISTEN, instead of continuing to posture.

Think on this, people, without the knee-jerk reactions and programmed reactions you spout.

September 14, 2010 at 08:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  48. Bluest

I don't mind them being used to help people quit smoking, or for those that wish to continue but society doesn't permit it, this is an alternative. What I do not like are the hawkers at the malls blowing smoke rings looking cool for the kids, telling CHILDREN how it ISN'T REALLY SMOKING, and offering them the high nicotine ones to sample. Because the companies couldn't behave themselves and pulled this BS, because they couldn't be grownups about it, THIS is why the FDA has to get involved. If they had gotten up in the morning and put on their big boy pants and said "we won't be the scum that panders to children" this wouldn't have happened. But they decided to be that scum.

September 26, 2010 at 23:12 | Report abuse | Reply
  49. Roger

Very interesting article and comments. You need WILL POWER if you want to quit smoking. Also the first six months are the hardest.

September 28, 2010 at 13:40 | Report abuse | Reply
  50. michael

well as an e-cigg user i have to agree that any company claiming it will "make or help" a person quit, is not telling the truth. it is up to the individual to quit with their own will power. but this device is certainly a healthier alternative and if someone quits by using it, than awsome!!!!!!!!! i would like to know just how much influence the big tabacco and the phaurmicutical companies have had in the fda's concern over this device. personally i see nothing wrong with further testing and regulation, but don't label it a "drug" device just because it contains nicotene. that is rediculous and foolish. if their is a product that is helping people either cut back, switch or quit, than why put up such a fuss about it. keep an eye on their ingredients but don't shut this product down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Smokin’ Great with AirE8! AirE8 – The Future of Smoking!

For immediate "one on one" customer service offering
    same-day priority mail shipping, call our Rosedale Mall
    AirE8 Factory Direct store at 651-636-3204

FREE SHIPPING FOR A LIMITED TIME...CALL NOW
    or stop in for a FREE trial of our superior products,
    visit http://www.airE8.com to find a store location near you

We're here to answer your questions and to help make
    Your non-tobacco smoking experience the BEST!

The Best Quality,
    the Best Taste and Throat Hit,
    the Best Warranty,
    the Best Service
    – all at an affordable price!

September 29, 2010 at 15:51 | Report abuse | Reply