home
RSS
September 8th, 2010

FDA to consider OK of genetically engineered salmon

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration is expected later this month to decide whether to approve genetically engineered salmon for human consumption. If OK'd it would be the first genetically modified animal permitted by the food safety agency.

A company, AquAdvantage Salmon, has injected growth hormones into Atlantic salmon that enable the fish to reach maturity in half the  normal growth time,  16 to 18 months rather than 30 months.

The FDA  in its analysis released last week, wrote: “We therefore conclude the food from AquAdvantage Salmon… is as safe as food from conventional Atlantic salmon and that there is a reasonable certainty of no harm from the consumption of food from this animal.”

But critics question possible health effects of eating fish containing the growth hormone.

“It’s impossible to talk about the risks other than saying they haven't been properly assessed, other than process has been rushed and we don't know,” said Wenonah Hauter, executive director of Food and Water Watch. She added that the FDA is a “very stressed agency” with all the latest recalls and outbreaks, that it “can't ensure the safety of the foods they currently regulate.”

Hauter said that the FDA has relied too heavily on information provided by AquAdvantage and that there should be a more extended time given to thoroughly vet and discuss risks.

On September 19-21, the FDA will hold two public meetings on the issue. A  final decision is expected in the weeks following those meetings.

1. Jeff

The FDA is set to approve TRANSEXUAL genetically engineered fish for you to eat!

I read the 180 page FDA briefing packet on the Aquadvantage GM salmon. I could not believe how crazy the process will be to produce these fish. One of the primary concerns of approving a genetically modified animal is the unknown risk of introducing such animals into the wild. In this case the fear is addressed by producing an infertile female population of fish. How do they that? Well, it is not like how your parent explained the birds and the bees to you. Here is a summary of the 7 step process taken from the AquAvantage process supplied to the FDA.

1. Select genetically altered female salmon.
    2. Treat the sperm of male Arctic Char (a different species of fish) with radiation.
    3. Mix the irradiated sperm with eggs from the genetically altered female salmon.
    4. The fish that are able to form from this combination should only have the X chromosomes from the female salmon. If the Arctic Char was not sufficiently irradiated, the fish will have different markings and can be separated from the process.
    5. The resulting genetically altered female salmon are then treated with 17-methyltestosterone. This causes them to product male genitals and sperm. Since these fish do not have any Y chromosomes, the sperm from them can only product female fish.
    6. These “NeoMale” fish are then killed. Their sperm is surgically removed and is used to fertilize eggs from conventional Atlantic Salmon.
    7. Fertilized eggs are then subjected to pressure shock treatment in order to render the offspring Triploid. A normal fish is Diploid. That means having two complete sets of chromosomes per cell. By pressure treating the eggs the cells divide with an extra pair of chromosomes. What I visual when I think about this is the three eyed fish on “The Simpson’s”. The Triploid mutation is done in order to make the sellable fish infertile. This is so, if they escape, they cannot reproduce. Aqua Bounty has said a minimum of 95% of the fish will be infertile. That means 5% could escape, mate, and spread the un natural DNA thorough the world.

Do you want to know if you are eating a Transgender Genetically Modified Organism with mutated chromosomes? Do you want your kids eating this?

September 15, 2010 at 00:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. David

A quote from Rick Moonen's response, also posted on CNN.com:

"I am and always will be completely against any food that has been altered genetically for human consumption."

If you are really serious about eliminating from your diet anything that has been genetically altered for human consumption, you will need to eliminate corn, wheat, rice, apples, and pretty much every other currently grown vegetable or fruit crop from your offerings,. The majority of all vegetable and fruit crops we currently consume were created through a process of artifical breeding, hybridization of different species, and "desirable" trait selection, which is the classical, don't-know-a-damned-thing method for GENETICALLY ALTERING plants and animals. At least "GM" foods were created with some knowledge of what is being changed, which I would prefer over methods that give you a "desirable" trait with no knowledge about what else may have been changed in the process.

September 15, 2010 at 14:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Roxanna Maltez

Real good info can be found on web blog.

Proxyti.com/buy/2000-private-proxies

December 30, 2020 at 17:05 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. zortilo nrel

Hello! I just would like to give a huge thumbs up for the great info you have here on this post. I will be coming back to your blog for more soon.

January 23, 2021 at 01:42 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. froleprotrem

I like the valuable information you provide for your articles. I will bookmark your weblog and take a look at once more right here regularly. I am quite sure I will learn plenty of new stuff right here! Good luck for the next!

January 25, 2021 at 21:02 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. frolep rotrem

When I initially commented I clicked the "Notify me when new comments are added" checkbox and now each time a comment is added I get four e-mails with the same comment. Is there any way you can remove me from that service? Thank you!

February 3, 2021 at 19:00 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. frolep rotrem

I just like the helpful information you supply on your articles. I’ll bookmark your weblog and take a look at again right here frequently. I'm moderately sure I will be told many new stuff right right here! Best of luck for the next!

February 6, 2021 at 10:28 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. http://www.fokuszpalyazat.hu/kezdolap/akar-60-millios-tamogatas-vallalkozasok-fejlesztesere

It’s really a great and useful piece of info. I am glad that you shared this helpful info with us. Please keep us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing.

February 9, 2021 at 03:52 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. storno brzinol

I simply wanted to thank you very much once again. I do not know what I could possibly have made to happen without the actual suggestions contributed by you over that situation. Certainly was a real terrifying issue in my view, however , spending time with the expert fashion you managed the issue took me to weep for joy. I'm happier for this guidance as well as hope that you really know what a powerful job that you are putting in educating most people via a site. I'm certain you haven't encountered all of us.

May 15, 2021 at 12:59 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. khai trương casino phú quốc

Kèo Bóng Đá Là Gì? Giải Thích Tỷ Lệ Cá Cược Bóng Đá Chi Tiết NhấtBiến Động Tỷ Lệ Kèo Nhà Cái Thụy Điển Vs Ba Lan Hôm Nay 23 free casinoHai trận đấu của lượt cuối mỗi bảng bắt buộc phải thi đấu cùng giờ. Kết thúc vòng bảng, đội nhất, nhì các bảng và four đội xếp thứ ba có thành tích tốt nhất sẽ giành quyền vào vòng sixteen đội.

June 27, 2021 at 00:26 | Report abuse | Reply