home
RSS
September 3rd, 2010

Illegal immigrants to receive dialysis care

A tentative agreement has been reached to provide 38 Atlanta, Georgia, area patients – most of whom are illegal immigrants - with continuous dialysis care, free of charge. The ruling settles a case that drew national attention and raised thorny ethical and financial questions about who should administer health care and pay for the medical bills of illegal immigrants.

Last year a dialysis clinic attached to a public hospital closed, leaving about 60 patients with no place to get the life saving treatment. They were offered help to return to their countries of origin by Grady Memorial Hospital.

Undocumented patients wary of offers to return to home countries

After some controversy, Grady agreed to pay for the dialysis of the patients who remained in the area for a year until other arrangements could be made. The latest agreement will send the 38 remaining patients to receive charity care at Fresenius Medical Services, Emory Hospital or DaVita Inc.

Exactly how many patients each center will receive and the expenses have yet to be worked out, said Matt Gove, a spokesman for Atlanta's Grady Memorial Hospital.

Five patients who returned to Mexico died. Whether their death related to inadequate access to dialysis is unknown, Gove said. Four patients who remained in Atlanta and continued to receive dialysis also passed away, he said.

Even with dialysis, only 35 percent of patients survive for more than five years. The process is draining and occurs three times a week in three to five hour sessions.  Dialysis can only replace about 13 percent of the kidney function. End-stage renal disease or chronic kidney failure can only be fully treated with a transplant.

1. Craig Shearer

Who is going to pay for this? Seeing as the government in illegally distributing our taxes, more and more people that I know are electing to work under the table and hold on to their money.

September 3, 2010 at 09:09 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Willie12345

The government and the illegals are STEALING from the American people. Enough is enough.

September 3, 2010 at 10:22 | Report abuse |
    • rob

I'm seeing the same thing with people I know. How many Americans have died for lack of access to dialysis? How many American families have lost their homes from astronomical medical bills? We can't afford to add 20 or 30 million illegal aliens to our medical system, yet this administration is doing that.

It's infuriating to know that millions of people here illegally are taking what American citizens cannot get, our political leaders are the force behind that, and the illegal aliens are demanding that they be given more and more while calling us racist because we fight for our citizens and those who immigrated here legally.

September 3, 2010 at 10:55 | Report abuse |
    • mesayso

How about a party that made us pay to have 4400 young men and women killed in a war that had nothing to do with 9-11.
      The terrorists were Egyptians funded by Pakistanis,and we invade Iraq.

The blood of our soldiers is on the hands of every person of everyone who votes for a party that defends those ideas

September 3, 2010 at 14:30 | Report abuse |
    • Chris

Money over a human life? I'll always go with HUMAN LIFE – borders are FAKE!

September 3, 2010 at 15:48 | Report abuse |
    • Will

Increase border patrol funding and manpower while at the same time give illegal immigrants free health care services. That seems about right U.S. goverment. You have created a perpetual motion machine.

September 4, 2010 at 09:08 | Report abuse |
  2. HH

HOW IS IT THAT ILLEGALS GET BETTER HEALTH CARE COVERAGE THAN WORKING AMERICANS ?
    THIS IS WRONG AND WE NEED A CHANGE OF GOVERNMENT THAT SUPPORTS FREE HEALTH CARE TO ILLEGALS.

September 3, 2010 at 09:17 | Report abuse | Reply
    • rykh

Dialysis is covered for every single american citizen. It cannot be denied. So they are not getting better care than americans. Dialysis is one of the only true socialized health care programs in the US. Has been for years. Mainly, for most anyone who needs it and doesnt get it will die in a week or two from hyperkalemia, hyperuricemia, etc.

September 3, 2010 at 10:38 | Report abuse |
    • Gail

sticky situation for sure hh, still paying for knee replacement surgery months later, insurance is a joke for me.

September 3, 2010 at 10:54 | Report abuse |
    • ANDROLOMA

Agreed.

September 3, 2010 at 11:07 | Report abuse |
    • NY7821

yes all americans can get dialysis but when they can't afford it the bills fall on tax payers. we cannot pay for our own let alone illegal immigrants. if say they'd save a human life over worry about paying for it then u can pay out of pocket for their care. i say send them back. hook them up with a hospital in the country they r from and let them deal with it. this situation is ridiculous!!

September 3, 2010 at 17:03 | Report abuse |
  3. dom625

You have got to be kidding me! Like Grim Reaper above, I work and have insurance through my job, but the deductible is so ridiculously high that unless I'm deathly ill, I cannot afford to go to the doctor. However, a group of illegal immigrants, who pay NO taxes, get expensive dialysis treatments for FREE?!?! That's my tax dollars at work...and I don't particularly like how they are working right now. I don't know who authorized this plan, but they need to have some sense knocked into them.

September 3, 2010 at 09:22 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Willie12345

Why pay taxes ? Much of it is going to those that are here illegally. Donate to your friends and neighbors that need your help.

September 3, 2010 at 10:23 | Report abuse |
    • betty

And where do you stand on national healthcare? Hopefully you are for it, if not, you are cutting off your nose to spite your face.

September 3, 2010 at 15:51 | Report abuse |
    • NY7821

betty: the health care reform our president has set is ridiculous and out of control. i work hard so i can have health insurance. these ppl should also. unfortunately the majority of these ppl live off the system and ruined it for those who really need insurance. these ppl should get jobs. our president should stop spending on tax money on this and stop taxing small businesses so much. then they would be able to provide health insurance for their employees and would be able to hire more.

September 3, 2010 at 17:07 | Report abuse |
  4. Advice Wise

Well more incentitive for the unhealthy to cross the border. FREE HEALTH CARE to all illegals. Sure lawsuits will be filed against Grady for the five who died after being returned causing Grady more $. Stop the illegals from crossing...the gangs in Mexico did us a favor killing those 72 otherwise we will be flipping their bills to. They should be rewarded.

September 3, 2010 at 09:33 | Report abuse | Reply
    • kevin schiller

I couldn't agree more, rite on brother. keep up the good fight.

September 3, 2010 at 11:00 | Report abuse |
    • ru4real

Your name advice wise is a misnomer. You cannot truly feel that way. If you do, seek counseling.

September 3, 2010 at 11:04 | Report abuse |
    • NY7821

that's disgusting...

September 3, 2010 at 17:09 | Report abuse |
    • TammyB

Hey, I want everyone to come here legally, however, those 72 people who were killed by drug cartels were men & women looking for honest work, and their children, who were just there with their parents. I don't wish anyone dead...it's time to make their countries of origin take responsibility for the truly ill here, by paying for all or part of their care.

September 3, 2010 at 19:22 | Report abuse |
  5. kw

oh get over it people- So the US is offering dialysis to dying immigrants, who probably do cut your grass and pick up your trash, and they probably clean your toilets and kitchens as well. I don't think dialysis for 38 immigrants is going to bust the American bank. Calm down, Grim Reaper, or you won't have enough energy to go to work and earn your "poor" health insurance, which is better than none at all, which is what those people have- nothing.

September 3, 2010 at 09:35 | Report abuse | Reply
    • OnTheRoad

If we were only paying our hard earned tax money for just these 38 people I might agree with you, but we are paying our hard earned tax money for approximately 11.5 to 12.5 million of these illegal people!!!! We as a nation have to draw a line in the sand. These people can go back to their country and demand that their government provide them with free care!!!

September 3, 2010 at 09:54 | Report abuse |
    • Bob

KW, most of us don't have people cleaning our toilets and kitchens.
      If you don't mind giving some of your riches away thats great. But it should be done thru churche groups and other aid organizations.

September 3, 2010 at 10:01 | Report abuse |
    • Ohioan

That's 38 in ATLANTA, and only the dialysis patients. What part of Illegal alien do you missunderstand? 10 – 12 million people breaking the law, filling the ranks of social programs, driving without insurance, demanding schools teach in Spanish, demanding their 'rights'. Bullsh!t!!! For every one of them here, there is a citizen who goes hungry, or can't get medical care.

Since when do we get to pick and choose which laws we follow? And for that matter... Look into the immigration laws of Mexico, and how they treat people who enter their country illegally. I'm sick to death of Bleeding Heart liberals looking for votes, and the Mexican government dodging responsibility for their own people.

SECURE THE BORDER NOW!!!

September 3, 2010 at 10:03 | Report abuse |
    • ApeHanger

Speak for yourself, KW. The rest of us don't appreciate paying the way for illegal aliens. I wish I could get free medical care. Life would be a bowl of cherries.

September 3, 2010 at 10:20 | Report abuse |
    • Concerned citizen

Why should American citizens get over the fact that illegals are bankrupting our hospitals and country from bleeding us dry with their needs? As to mowing my lawn, I do that myself, as to cleaning my kitchen, I do that myself, as to taking care of any items that I can't do, I hire WHITE AMERICAN men out of work due to businesses hiring illegals that they can pay under the table and less... so no SS, no taxes... I think you get the picture??? It's really NOT our fault these people don't have the balls or backbone to demand better lives in their own countries... NO they'd rather come here and DEMAND WE TAKE CARE OF THEM!

September 3, 2010 at 10:21 | Report abuse |
    • kctaxpayer

While these illegal immigrants may not break the system, this situation is prevalent in the healthcare system. Hospitals often pay dialysis clinics to treat the illegals because it keeps the hospital from having to provide long term inpatient care when the illegal immigrants do not get their dialysis. It is ridiculous. Dialysis can cost in excess of $15,000 a month for one person. Send them HOME!

September 3, 2010 at 10:28 | Report abuse |
    • Willie12345

No illegal cuts my grass, I'm not rich and like many struggle day to day. We're not talking about 38, there are 10s of thousands of cases like this. School systems, food stamps, etc are going to illegals. We have many poor and suffering in this country as you've already read. They need to come first. Those that sneak into the US and steal from our own poor need to be punished and deported.

September 3, 2010 at 10:28 | Report abuse |
    • Charles

Send "kw" the bill.

September 3, 2010 at 10:44 | Report abuse |
    • RN

Take that 38 and multiply it by tens of thousands every day. I work as an RN and believe me we have nearly 70% ( yes 70%) of our Moms that are Spanish Speaking Only (illegally here) that choose to come to the US just to deliver their babies, sad to say many of them have no pre-natal care so the babies are pre-term and require an expensive stay in our NICU. We have SS doulas in our hospital to act as translators so these families get good care. I live in Colorado and have worked at 5 different hospitals here and it is very much the same 50-70%. It is so common place that many of our OB clinics cater to SSO mothers to help improve this situation. I don't hate these families at all (in fact I can understand why they come here with the violence in Mexico) and give them the same loving care that I give everyone, but I do think the system here is broke and it really isn't fair when many people here can't afford health care and are going without or spending way too much on insurance with rapidly rising cost. Many of these families are on Medicaid (how does that happen?). If the costs have to rise then fine but the health care should be there for all of us.

September 3, 2010 at 10:52 | Report abuse |
    • Janet

KW - Get over it?? Free dialysis is just the tip of the medical care iceberg - illegals are swamping our hospitals, especially the county hospitals for free care. It isn't JUST a few people that are draining America dry.

Oh by the way, the only maid at my house is me. I've never had one. All the same time-frame, I've had a full-time job Monday-Friday, a steady part-time job (Sunday afternoons) and an occasional part-time job (during the evenings a couple of times a week) all to support myself. To pay off some taxes a couple of years back, I was working a 40-hour full-time job and 8-hours each Saturday and Sunday - that's right, 7 days a week. When I got home, I was still my own maid, cook, grocery buyer. bill payer and dog walker.

I've earned the right to say where/who/when my taxes should be spent. I don't want it spent on a bunch of FREELOADERS who are in my country illegally. Do feel FREE to leave & go someplace other than America. My grandfather, father, and brother all served in the military so you could have that freedom. My mother's first child was born, lived, and died while my father was in the South Pacific during WWII. He never saw him. And surprise!! - she never had a maid either.

September 3, 2010 at 10:57 | Report abuse |
    • kevin schiller

Hey kw you clearly have no idea what the cost of dialysis is or you wouldn't say that. My best friends dad is on it, and let me tell every body it's very expensive. If you take that cost times 38 it's really expensive. in case maybe you haven't noticed the country is broke. Like I'm thinking that the country that these people came from should be providing them with health care instead of mooching off the American tax payers. I think what the people posting are trying to tell you is that they tired of paying such high taxes because our crooked government looks out for every one but who they should be looking out for. ENOUGH SAID.

September 3, 2010 at 11:19 | Report abuse |
    • ru4real

kw – have you noted all the replies? Can you see the vast majority of us do NOT want to pay for illegals?

September 3, 2010 at 11:22 | Report abuse |
    • h8w8ting

Why should illegal aliens get free anything in the U.S. ??? They should not be here in the first place. Medical Bills are the # 1 cause of bankruptcy in the U.S. Meanwhile, hundreds of thousands of citizens are going broke trying to pay for the healthcare these individuals get for free while sending their under the table wages back to home country. We should institute a 50% fee for all wire transfers out of the U.S.!!

September 3, 2010 at 11:45 | Report abuse |
    • taxpaying individual

at least one sensible comment,

September 3, 2010 at 11:52 | Report abuse |
    • jk8369

These people have nothing? Are you stupid! They have free health care nimrod while Grim Reaper is PAYING for health care.

All you crybabies start putting your address down so the illegals can come stay with you and be added to your health plan and your rates adjusted accordingly. Oh wait, usually the ones crying don't actually work and pay taxes and insurance.

September 3, 2010 at 12:39 | Report abuse |
    • TWM

KW are you naivie? The illegal Criminals have better health care here than almsot every Citizen. Let me explain and perhaps you will gain a touch of intelligence. Illegals can and do go to our hospitals emergency rooms for EVERY illness or injury. They get treated and then PAY NOTHING As they walk out after filling in a very simple form that states they are not citizens and have no means to pay. his is one of the biggest drains n our entire system. it is because of these CRIMINALs that our insurances go up so dramatically. Hospitals increase their fees to the insurance companies to cover the WASTE that is given to these Crooks.

September 3, 2010 at 12:42 | Report abuse |
    • lc

The point you seem to be missing is if its 38 in Georgia, then its 20 in Alabama and its 50 in South Carolina and 100 in TX etc etc etc. We are not and cannot be the caretakers of the world.

September 3, 2010 at 13:09 | Report abuse |
    • ScubaDeb

KW: Are you nuts? Illegals do a lot of stoop work for a few people who are too lazy to do their own housework, yard work, or child care. However, everyone else pays for their illegal (employees) healthcare, welfare, and the education of their children who are also in th country illegally. This country should only only cover their emergency healthcare, not longstanding care. If each state tallied the amount spent for the care of illegals and send their annual bill to the Federal Government, which has done NOTHING to eliminate/reduce illegal immigration since the last amnesty, that the only way liberals would appreciate the true cost to this country. In addition, illegal immigration is contributing to the dumbing down of America. Let's see only 45% of hispanics graduate from high school (Colorado statistic), so it's not as if their children are much value-added. It may not be politically correct, but it's true. We are experiencing a mexicanification of this country unless we acknowledge how this country is going down the toilet. Americans without healthcare should be our first concern and shame on us for having no sympathy for Americans!

September 3, 2010 at 13:21 | Report abuse |
    • jeff

Americans are too lazy to work. If mexicans are coming here and getting jobs, its because they are applying for them. I work in a financial institution and see Americans on the daily complaining that they have no jobs to pay for their loan. What they do have is 2 arms, 2 legs, hands, feet, eyes, etc. so why don't they apply for these jobs??? It's Simple, because it's not an office job where they can sit and be lazy and get fat. So they don't apply. As for health care, it may be a little unfair how some get free health care and others have to work for it. But, what all you complainers don't see here is that illegal immigrants pay taxes while their here too. LOL.

September 3, 2010 at 14:04 | Report abuse |
    • Lilo

Please- I lived in Mexico City for three years- it is just as awesome with just as much current health care as us. You people are ignorant idiots to think Mexico is so horrible-you could not be more wrong.
      That's like someone saying all Americans are racist, caused 911 to blame Muslims, or other nonsense. Illigals make way more money here and get all kinds of benifits-that is why thye come, or they have bad family relations -much of the time. Send them all back-stop sterio-typing Mexico as third world-it is NOT at all. Jeez!!!!

September 3, 2010 at 15:52 | Report abuse |
    • Lilo

RN

Stop with the mexico violence-that in ONLY the last two years because we decriminalized weed here.
      Mexico is perfectly fine BUT they do not give welfare, low income housing and all the free medical care you want. They make people work, save some money, and then have children they can offord. We do not expect that here in America.
      Mostly young women get to have babies without a vocation, job, decent husband and cry "I'm a single mother" as if they have been raped and made to give birth-its stupid. Then tax payers pay for their moronic choices-Latinoes know how enabling we are. Mexico is perfectly fine- just not enabling.
      Don't get me started on the catholic religion and high birth rates without jobs for the children. Make more members at any cost–To America!!!

September 3, 2010 at 16:00 | Report abuse |
    • mandie

right on kw! i completley agree. couldn't have said it an better myself.

September 3, 2010 at 20:38 | Report abuse |
  6. Sheila

I can't get free healthcare, and I'm a citizen. Send them back to their home country, where they are legal residents and are entitled to healthcare. Plane tickets cost less than dialysis.

September 3, 2010 at 09:38 | Report abuse | Reply
    • ru4real

I agree wholeheartedly. They should be fingerprinted and photoed and not allowed back to this country under any circumstances. It seems a cheaper solution. Why are they not being deported?

September 3, 2010 at 11:08 | Report abuse |
  7. Advice Wise

KW since you are so generous....why don't you pay their medical bills and any other illegal immigrant that needs medical attention.

September 3, 2010 at 09:50 | Report abuse | Reply
    • TWM

My guess is KW is one of those non workers who embraced the Obama-Care , feel that they are entitled to everything that a hard worker achieves. Distribution of wealth, no doubt about this not ONE Obama supporter ( I am so sorry I voted for this POS) can deny that is exactly what he is accomplishing.

September 3, 2010 at 12:46 | Report abuse |
  8. MJ

I used to work as a caseworker in Medicaid, and while I'm sure policy differs from state to state, illegal immigrants in the state that I worked qualified under a program called emergency medicaid, where they could get any medical bills resulting from true medical emergencies- heart attacks, dialysis, labor and delivery, etc- covered by the state. Theses benefits are not even available to citizens...you must be illegal in order to qualify. I saw many illegals come in 10 or more time to get their dialysis bill covered each time they received it. So, it is sad but its really nothing new...

September 3, 2010 at 09:53 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Willie12345

One time emergency treatment is understandable. Once the treatment is complete.... on the bus they go and back to their home land.

September 3, 2010 at 10:20 | Report abuse |
  9. Lisa

The part that chaps my a** is that Medicare will only pay for anti-rejection drugs for transplant patients for three years. I donated a kidney to a friend. If he hadn't had private insurance, that he managed to hang onto even though he was really sick, after 36 months Medicare would not have paid for his anti-rejection drugs. I donated a perfect working kidney to this man and the government would deny him the drugs he needed to keep the organ.

Dialysis is not fun. It is a life-saving treatment. It is also not cheap. I do agree that ICE should be called when the illegals show up to get dialysis and ICE should ship them back to their home country. We need this money to be spent on our own people. Perhaps if we were not paying for illegals to get treatment our own countrymen who manage to find a donated kidney would be able to get more than 36 months of medication to hang onto that organ.

September 3, 2010 at 09:55 | Report abuse | Reply
    • ru4real

Well said........
      If a vast majority of us feel this way, WHY are they not listening? Let them hear you at the next election. And if the replacements do the same, vote them out too until they do start listening.

September 3, 2010 at 11:19 | Report abuse |
    • kevin schiller

Dear Lisa;
      How is your friend doing? I hope he's doing better. And I couldn't agree with you more. Why is it our crooked government wouldn't help your friend who is a citizen of the USA, and is a tax payer, who deserves the proper medical attention. but can't get it because there to busy helping people who are in the country illegally. I mean I feel for these people, but let there own government take care of them so that this country can afford to cover the cost for your friends anti-rejection medication. I guess what I'm trying to say is maybe it time to look out for our own people instead of every other country people.

September 3, 2010 at 11:54 | Report abuse |
    • Lisa

Kevin,

Thank you for asking. Unfortunately, my friend died from complications of a cold or the flu. They did not do an autopsy so we will never know for sure which.

I do wish that more people would donate organs. You can donate a kidney, part of your liver and a lobe of your lung while you are still alive. I have had no ill effects from my donation. I can't even tell the difference except for the scars on my abdomen. It's been over seven years since my donation. I am still healthy and happy. My decision changed someone's life. He was able to drink all the water he wanted, live without having to go for dialysis, and eat foods that he loved but are forbidden on a "renal" diet. I sometimes feel bad that he didn't live longer but I know he enjoyed the time I was able to give him free from those machines.

Dialysis is not a cure, it is a treatment. A treatment that wears you out and wears your body out. If you know of someone who is going to dialysis, ask them do you need a kidney transplant, if they say yes, ask what you need to do to be tested. Sometimes dialysis patients are embarrassed to ask this, it is a lot to ask of a friend/co-worker/church member, but almost all of us can make a difference.

IT IS TIME TO GET RID OF THE WAITING LIST FOR ORGANS. DON'T TAKE YOUR ORGANS WITH YOU WHEN YOU DIE, HEAVEN DOESN'T NEED THEM.

September 3, 2010 at 13:58 | Report abuse |
    • brumbleb

Lisa, I give you a lot of credit for donating a kidney to a friend in need. Is it true that, in general, the donor's surgery, etc is worse than the receiver's? I thought that's what I heard. I am happy that it worked out and that he was able to enjoy the time he did have left.

ru4real, Good luck! None of our politicians have the balls!

September 3, 2010 at 15:40 | Report abuse |
  10. Ridiculous

This continues to be a shining example of the stupidity of our country allowing "11.1" illegal immigrants to continue absorbing American resources without paying back into the country. It is ridiculous that Americans are having to die because they cannot afford insurance or must forego insurance in order for their families to survive. Where does it stop? How can this continue to be a debate for this country and the "Citizens" who live here that are paying all of the taxes and cannot even get insurance or disability. How can it be more "affordable" for an illegal immigrant to get jobs and have insurance and access to healthcare when Americans cannot get the same yet they foot the bill? Voters need to get together and make a change in state and federal foolishness unless this too has become a corrupt useless measure of the past for our voices not to be heard too!

September 3, 2010 at 09:58 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Willie12345

Read concerned citizen below. Enough is enough.

September 3, 2010 at 10:18 | Report abuse |
  11. Concerned citizen

The American taxpayer getting ripped once again! This just really irritates the sh– out of me, I lost a sister due to kidney failure and the failure of the state (Maryland) and federal government to offer her any assistance or free dialysis. She was only 39 years old and had an eight year old son! Why couldn't my sister get help? She worked and paid taxes and when she could no longer work, all she got was the run around! This is so unfair, by the way, my sister was white! I guess they don't qualify for all these social programs and welfare no matter how ill they are! I'm tired of paying for illegals and their problems! This will just encourage more to come here and live off of US!!!

September 3, 2010 at 10:13 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Willie12345

You hit the nail right on the head. We need to take care of our own, first ! We are not doing that. Remember, come November !!!!!!

September 3, 2010 at 10:16 | Report abuse |
    • deathfrom above

i understand your how you feel. my mother died of a heart attack because she had no medical insurance and could not afford her medication. americans are dieing while the worlds moochers invade our country by the millions and get everything for free. the only thing that will stop a government out of control is about 2 million armed americans marching on washington dc. throw every congressman, senator, and the president in jail. and hold new elections. the military and the police won't have the stomach to stop it.

September 3, 2010 at 10:34 | Report abuse |
    • ridiculous

This is a sad, but shining example, of how ridiculous this article and decision is. Americans' should be infuriated by such an article and having to suffer through personal experiences such as this!

September 3, 2010 at 10:56 | Report abuse |
    • kevin schiller

Dear concerned citizen;
      I'm sorry for your loss, AND I WOULDN'T BLAME YOU AT ALL FOR BEING MAD AS H_LL. It's such a shame that the federal government has the American people held hostage. In a senses they have become the terrorist in a country there suppose to be protecting. What ever happened to your sisters rights to health care? It's truly a shame when our government is so easily bought off to look the other way. All wile the insurance company's get richer, and richer. And then to top it all of they would rather give free health care to people who are not even suppose to be in our country in the first place. The federal government should be sued for not seeing to it that your sister had the proper health care.

September 3, 2010 at 12:19 | Report abuse |
    • Ilauria

So sorry about your sister. It isn't right that the government would guarantee an illegal and pass on a citizen. Something wrong with this system. Our justic system is broken as well, because doctor and nurses need to cover there butts so some illegal or patient doesn't sue the hospital just because they where turned away. So caps and tort reform need to be persued as well.

September 3, 2010 at 13:40 | Report abuse |
  12. Willie12345

Put a bus in front of the clinic and about 6 ICE agents. Give each one 1 free treatment and then put them on the bus. Empty the bus in front of the CARE office or a Mexican Government Office in Mexico city.

September 3, 2010 at 10:15 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. taxed more

Why can't the Mexican government be billed for every expense? Not just the hospital but also for all the Millions of dollars in benefits all the anchor babies get. We need a massive change in government.

September 3, 2010 at 10:18 | Report abuse | Reply
    • kevin schiller

Amen to that brother; enough is enough, and if the federal government doesn't want to do it we will baby, like the guy from Boston would say (you tube)

September 3, 2010 at 12:26 | Report abuse |
    • Mexico x pat

Please, Calderon is laughing at us. Mexican/Latino s view America as a hill of GOLD BULLION that gives and gives and gives, and that is exactly what we do. We are gringo jokes to them.
      They come here to take full advantage of people's need to feel good about themselves for being kind.
      That is okay when Americans have more given to them, based on work history and education being first in line (that includes child raising) and if something is left-fine.
      That is NOT what is happening now and the GOLD RUSH is OVER for America. We can't afford Mexicans.

September 3, 2010 at 16:08 | Report abuse |
  14. Andreas Kielczynski

This is disgusting. Let them go back where they came from for treatment.

September 3, 2010 at 10:21 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. leonspinks1

Thety are hard working people. They deserve free stuff.

September 3, 2010 at 10:22 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Willie12345

It's called stealing. It takes money from our own people that need it badly.

September 3, 2010 at 10:30 | Report abuse |
    • rob

It's not free – it's paid for by hard-working Americans and stolen by illegal aliens. If you go to Germany and can't speak the language, does that mean the Germans should give you everything for free while denying those services to their own citizens?

September 3, 2010 at 11:04 | Report abuse |
    • kevin schiller

Then you flip the bill for this heath care. Leon I think you will find that it's not as cheap as you think it is.

September 3, 2010 at 12:30 | Report abuse |
  16. deathfrom above

thats why the law should get rid of these moochers as quickly as possible. so what if they die? it will happen someday no matter what. meanwhile, emergency room waits in this country i are 5 or more hours because illegals use emergency rooms like roach motels. this only cost americans more in health care and depletes services for americans who are poor. give them one dialisys treetment AND THEN DEPORT THEM IMMEADIATELY. let their own country pay. AMERICA CANNOT SUPPORT THE WORLDS BEGGARS.

September 3, 2010 at 10:23 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Jeff B.

Interesting that, directly under the heading of this story on CNN's front page, is the story "healthcare costs for Americans rise 14%.
    Too bad those poor American famiiles had to be BORN in the U.S.

September 3, 2010 at 10:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. texaslady2

This is all too commonplace now: the boneheads in charge are giving out free medical care to illegal aliens instead of deporting them and letting their home countries pay for their care. This while we have over 15 million Americans unemployed and millions more underemployed or working 2-3 jobs just to survive!! What is wrong with this country when it places the feelings of illegal aliens above the needs of Americans? We can't deport illegals because it hurts their feelings? We can't send these people back home or they will die? Last time I checked, the mortality rate for the human species was still 100%. Everyone dies. Let their own countries do something for a change!

September 3, 2010 at 10:25 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Andreas Kielczynski

I consider myself a compassionate person with respect for human life but in this case, if it were up to me I'd let them drop dead. I am so sick of illegals having it better than tax paying citizens.

September 3, 2010 at 10:30 | Report abuse | Reply
    • maggie

Wow! You are NOT compassionate!

September 3, 2010 at 10:36 | Report abuse |
  20. maggie

Yah! Let them die! Haha!

September 3, 2010 at 10:35 | Report abuse | Reply
    • susygarrido

Your disgusting! Watch Karma bite you in the ass!

September 3, 2010 at 15:54 | Report abuse |
    • susygarrido

That was dedicated to Maggie

September 3, 2010 at 15:56 | Report abuse |
    • Ituri

Karma does not exist any more than magical pixies. Its about human effort NOW. Its also about simple loyalties. Who should the US government be loyal to first and foremost? The PEOPLE of the US, thats who. This isn't rocket science.

September 3, 2010 at 16:11 | Report abuse |
  21. maggie

So many haters.

September 3, 2010 at 10:36 | Report abuse | Reply
    • deathfrom above

i quess you wouldn't mind picking up the bill for these moochers to get free dialisys? guess what? you allready do! send them back to mexico and see how long they live because you don't get free medical care in mexico short of a few bandaids.

September 3, 2010 at 10:40 | Report abuse |
    • overachievr

Maggie: YOU TO WILL GET YOUR DAY TO FEEL THE PAIN THAT THE REST OF US DO,,, GO AHEAD AND GET REAL SICK IN 5 YEARS, LAY IN THE HOSPITAL BED, NEXT TO THE ILLEGAL ALIEN, AND SEE WHO HAS A HOUSE TO GOT TO IF YOU GET OUT,, EVEN IF YOU GET OUT,,, THE ILLEGAL WILL PAY NOTHING AND YOU WILL BE FORCED TO USE YOUR LIFE SAVINGS OR WHATS LEFT OF IT TO PAY THE BILLS.. MAM,,,YOU ARE A FOOL TO THINK WE SHOULD USE TAX DOLLARS TO AID ILLEGALS,,, BTW,,, THE ILLEGAL NEXT YOU PROBABLY SOLD DRUGS TO YOUR KID WHO IS NOW IN REHAB.... YOUR AN IDIOT.

September 3, 2010 at 11:49 | Report abuse |
  22. deathfrom above

i wouldn't doubt it that illegals could get free kidney transplants.

September 3, 2010 at 10:37 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. DocBlogger

Life is far more precious than money. Lose that perspective, and you lose your humanity, and most definitely, your religion. This is something that can make kids lose a parent or a spouse. You like your money, then get out those state employees, who goof off, never answer your calls, but draw a salary from the tax dollars you so care about.

September 3, 2010 at 10:40 | Report abuse | Reply
    • deathfrom above

docblogger, another bleeding heart liberal. do you have any suggestions on how america will feed, clothe, house, and give free medical care to EVERYONE IN THE WORLD. GET A CLUE YOU FREAKIN IDIOT! nobody is going to want help you when you cannot work or support yourself with 30 million illegal freloaders sucking our health and welfare system dry.

September 3, 2010 at 10:45 | Report abuse |
    • DocBlogger

..and shame on those who let Bush drain out billions in Iraq, a useless war vs Afganistan, and non competitive over priced contracts.... and now feel outraged that money is 'wasted' in saving a handful of people's life. I think we are getting close to a definition of monster or devil here.

September 3, 2010 at 10:47 | Report abuse |
    • DocBlogger

Illegals work on fictitious SSN and do not file taxes. No exemptions, no deductions, no child credit. Check IRS for unclaimed billions. These people worked with you and around you.

September 3, 2010 at 10:51 | Report abuse |
    • Estoban

Illegal invaders use stolen and fraudulent IDs, lie on I-9 forms, some avoid taxes(paid under table). All these are felonies to the tune of 8 million stolen paychecks from the 15 million unemployed American workers and their families. Deport every last one of these bottom feding invaders.

September 3, 2010 at 11:52 | Report abuse |
    • Humane

Thank you, DocBlogger, for a correct assessment of the budget problems in our country. These people commenting here are blinded by their bigotry and selfishness, and they fail to see that we are in the red because of the two wars started by Republicans. The trillions of dollars being spent in training, rebuilding, and supporting corrupt governments like Iraq and Afghanistan are not a problem for these morons, but a few millions spent on undocumented immigrants is. Most of the people here illegally came here to escape poverty; however, there are a few that are here intent on doing harm (drug traffickers) because there are US citizens allow them (by using drugs, etc.).

September 3, 2010 at 14:57 | Report abuse |
    • TammyB

You stated, "Illegals work on fictitious SSN and do not file taxes. No exemptions, no deductions, no child credit. Check IRS for unclaimed billions." True. It's called identity theft and if you or I were to do this, we would be in jail. Also, try calling the IRS...they won't give you unclaimed money because it's in the system from people who were committing identity theft. Also, it's not all unclaimed...if it were a SSN that someone already had (too many cases like this), then the person who actually owns the SSN is audited, and they have to prove that they actually didn't make the money showing against their SSN. Sometimes that can take years and it is a pain that one should not have to go through. If you cannot convince the IRS it was not you making that much money, you have to pay back taxes. Not the illegals. They are off and gone with another person's SSN to use. Also, do you know that remittances from illegals working here count as 60% of Mexico's GDP? What I think should happen is that El Presidente Calderon should reimburse the US for care for the very ill (like the dialysis patients) as I don't want them to die either. The rest of illegals need to come clean...our government needs comprehensive immigration reform, and Mexico needs to push for people to come here legally and stop pushing them to come here illegally. If not, then they need to foot the bill for all we take care of....

September 3, 2010 at 20:25 | Report abuse |
  24. mark

It should be legal to shoot illegals on site. Thats is the solution to the immigration problem.....just the truth.

September 3, 2010 at 10:44 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. michelle

I too am tired of this crap!!!! I have been unemployed for 2 years, trying to get almost ANY kind of job. I can't get Medicaid, my food stamp time is up, and according to our 'great' government, I can't get any additional help. Yet these ILLEGALS can get free medical care, free of almost EVERYTHING BECAUSE THEY ARE ILLEGAL?!!! Since our 'great' government WON'T seem to do anything about ILLEGALS in this country; and since our 'great' goverment are betraying the legal citizens who are paying their salaries by our taxes, its time for something very radical – enough is enough!!! Might I offer the following suggestions:
    1. Deport ALL ILLEGALS out – including their children, which is the only reason they come here in the first place. If our 'great' government officials want to be COWARDS, and not 'offend' the ILLEGALS, then its time that 'we, the people' do the following: a. Vote EVERY Congressperson/Senator who sides with the ILLEGALS, and NOT with the American people. If that doesn't happen, then:
    b. Let 'we' the people' stop paying our 'great' USA government the outrageous taxes for this kind of idiocricy. Let our 'great' government get the taxes from the countries that send ILLEGALS here.'
    c. Target and picket ALL USA businesses that hire ILLEGALS instead of USA citizens. Maybe even cause them to be embarrased/threatened if 'we, the people' demand that they follow the laws instead of just being COWARDS and hiding behind the sanctity/security of their corporate buddies, the 'great' USA Congresspeople/Senators who create these loopholes in the 1st place in exchange for votes, maybe they MIGHT(would take a miracle though) listen.
    d. Target and picket ALL CONGRESSPEOPLE/SENATORS who look the other way with businesses that hire ILLEGALS, and VOTE THEM OUT COME NOVEMBER!!!
    e. See if 'we, the people' can sue our 'great' government(congresspeople, senate, the Justice Department, and our President) for treason and betrayal against, 'we, the people'.
    IT IS TIME FOR OUT 'GREAT' GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS TO TAKE CARE OF THE LEGAL CITIZENS OF THE USA INSTEAD OF PANDERING/BEING COWARDS AT GETTING ILLEGALS OFF GOV'T ASSISTANCE AND OUT OF THIS COUNTRY. REMEMBER THE BETRAYAL BY OUR 'GREAT' GOVERNMENT COME NOVEMBER!!!!!!!!!!!

September 3, 2010 at 10:45 | Report abuse | Reply
    • call me senorita

Next time you need health care, just say you are undocumented and go to the head of the line.

September 3, 2010 at 11:03 | Report abuse |
    • kevin schiller

Michelle why can't more people be just like you? this country would be so much better off.Instead this country has so many yupy scum-bags who would just soon give there freedom away. I think every body owes our military a huge round of applauses. THANK- YOU EVERY BRANCH OF THE MILITARY. YOU GUYS AND GALS ROCK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 3, 2010 at 12:49 | Report abuse |
    • mesayso

Vote who out. Most of these illegals work for companies ran by conservatives look it up.

Laura Bush killed a guy while driving drunk

September 3, 2010 at 14:19 | Report abuse |
    • mesayso

The terrorists were Egyptians funded by Pakistanis,and we invade Iraq.

September 3, 2010 at 14:24 | Report abuse |
  26. DocBlogger

September 3, 2010 at 10:46 | Report abuse | Reply
    • deathfrom above

you are a complete cluless idiot.

September 3, 2010 at 10:50 | Report abuse |
    • TWM

Doc you are a clueless buffoon. Yes the War was bad but BOTH Parties are responsible for it. You support for the criminals invading and stealing from our country is unwarranted. They sould be deported...Or better yet lets create a hunting season on illegals as one poster said above shoot them on sight. bonus points if you kill an illegal Pregnant mother trying to spawn an Anchor baby.

September 3, 2010 at 12:52 | Report abuse |
  27. Name*Sanka

Good for them. When we forget about the money we realize we can do what is right:saving lives. Yes many others are not as fortunate but just because we call them, people like you and me "illegals" that doesn't make them murders or piece. Of &@&@ like those poorly uneducated people above me. Immigrants or not....., I see human beings with potential ...... I see patients whom have families like u and me. So good for them.

September 3, 2010 at 10:54 | Report abuse | Reply
    • kas

I agree...change the healine to read "38 people to recieve free dialysis" and everyone would be saying how great it is that these people are getting the help they need.

September 3, 2010 at 12:23 | Report abuse |
  28. Rick McDaniel

Precisely what is wrong with illegal immigrants in this country. They simply are leeches on the American taxpayer.

They should be treated and deported, immediately afterward. It is up to Mexico to care for their own citizens.

September 3, 2010 at 10:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  29. Sal

There is a simple solution to this problem and that is to send the doctor and hospital bills for all these illegal wetbacks to the mexican government! These illegals being treated here are citizens of mexico, so mexico should be paying for these dregs! Our government and politicians have no gonads to do the right thing. It's really a simple thing to implement, and if that crap of a country refuses to pay for them, then ship them back to mexico, just drop them off on mexico's door step and say these are your citizens so you pay for them! We have such a dumb government with no common sense at all.

September 3, 2010 at 10:59 | Report abuse | Reply
  30. DocBlogger

Try googling "illegals pay more taxes usatoday" and see 2008 article from usa today. Surprise, in addition to fed and state taxes they pay SS tax, estimated 9 billion/yr then which comes back to you not them.

September 3, 2010 at 11:05 | Report abuse | Reply
    • h8w8ting

Sure they Do !!! You so full of it your eyes are brown... but then again you probably live in the northeast or some other non border state. California alone spends $4 Billion per year on incarcerating illegal criminals. Now include the health care costs (anchor baby delivery is expensive) education and welfare costs and your probably looking at more than $10 billion per year. That is more $$$ than most states have in their total budget. Why should the american tax payer foot the bill ???

September 3, 2010 at 12:04 | Report abuse |
    • TWM

Doc you are an idiot... Yes they will pay taxes on purchases. The majority work off the books or with stolen SSN#'s paying no fed/state income taxes. Now lets go to the "rent" these criminal pay. Sure they pay rent HOWEVER it is spread amongsts 3-5 families per each 1 family home they occupy. Many of these families are then stealing free schooling for their children and not paying the appropriate school taxes. No matter how you slice it they are Criminals (what does illegal mean?) and should be deported immediately and how about this have Mexico pay the bill for the transportation of their scum back to them.

September 3, 2010 at 12:57 | Report abuse |
    • lc

Yes and how much of their money stays in the country and is spent here? The earn it, pay miminum taxes, probably using fake ssn, then they send it back to Mexico while we foot the bill for educating their children and providing health care. You obviously live in a little fantasyland land where everyone whistles while they work and skips along instead of the real world where the millions of unemployed Americans are struggling to find jobs and cant take care of their own families.

September 3, 2010 at 13:27 | Report abuse |
    • TammyB

They pay taxes and SS on SSN's they have "taken" from people who they belong to, which makes those person's tax bracket go up, thus causing them to owe more taxes, and if disputed, it is on that person to try to prove someone else is using their SSN. By that time, the offending person is off and using someone else's SSN. It happens all the time here in Arizona. I personally know someone who had to fight the IRS for 8 years, to try to get proof that the money they made was the only money and not ALL the money showing was gotten by them. Some people have to hire lawyers for this and pay for them (not the illegals). And if you or I or any legal citizen were to do the same thing? We would be in jail for identity theft.....

September 3, 2010 at 20:33 | Report abuse |
  31. Chuck

I love it! I have a pile of medical bills work full time pay out the butt for insurance and still have all of these bills to pay.Now I see we have a bunch of ILLEGALS getting another free ride. Is it any wonder why we have all of this anti immigrant rage today? Count me in on that,I hate illegal immigrants and especially Mexicans.

September 3, 2010 at 11:10 | Report abuse | Reply
    • jeff

Americans are too lazy to work. If mexicans are coming here and getting jobs, its because they are applying for them. I work in a financial institution and see Americans on the daily complainging that they have no jobs to pay for their loan. What they do have is 2 arms, 2 legs, hands, feet, eyes, etc. so why don't they apply for these jobs??? It's Simple, because it's not an office job where they can sit and be lazy and get fat. So they don't apply. As for health care, it may be a little unfair how some get free health care and others have to work for it. But, what all you complainers don't see here is that illegal immigrants pay taxes while their here too. LOL.

September 3, 2010 at 14:08 | Report abuse |
  32. Tony

I wish I could tresspass into another country and get free health care.....

September 3, 2010 at 11:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  33. Jul

Who can afford to pay someone to cut the grass, pick up trash and clean the house? Not my husband and myself....we do it ourselves.

September 3, 2010 at 11:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  34. abcdef54321

For a century, we have been importing as many illegal immigrants as we can to work crappy jobs at low pay. During the Great Depression we changed out minds and deported a lot of them. Now during the Great Recession, some of us want to deport them again.

The problem is not with illegal immigrants – who probably help the economy – or with the federal government – which is just trying to keep terribly ill people from dying. The problem is with America's corporate leadership, who no longer regard employees as fellow human beings but as an annoying cost which must be reduced. They are cutting our wages and demanding more work from us. They are laying off our coworkers and demanding that the survivors take on the extra work that they would have done. They are cutting our benefits and giving themselves bonuses for increasing productivity. They are also lobbying Congress NOT to restrict the flow of illegal immigrants – and Congress listens to them, not us. Middle class wages have been flat for decades. Wages for corporate executives are skyrocketing. That is, our employers demand more of us but they feel no obligation to reward us for working harder and longer.

And all of you who are working your ass off – the American ass is currently growing at an unprecedented rate. If you are unhappy with the taxes you are paying, then we'll just have to start cutting social security, medicare, medicaid, law enforcement, fire protection, air traffic control, and other benefits that we all expect to use sooner or later.

September 3, 2010 at 11:15 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. DocBlogger

Ever wondered why conservative blogs and talk shows rail against main stream media? and Universities? Both of these are closer to real knowledge and information than you and I are. So please check out how much you take from illegals than you give. Google "illegals pay more taxes usatoday". Dont make learning an enemy.

September 3, 2010 at 11:16 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. Justin

I love it! FREE medical care to illegals at taxpayer's expense! Long live the democratic party and what it stands for!!!!!!

September 3, 2010 at 11:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  37. David

I stopped filing my taxes 5 years ago. I didn't want to help pay for the wars or the welfare state anymore. When they come for me, and they will, I will tell them to lock me up in a Federal prison (income tax evasion is a federal crime) and I will live the good life. No more working 10 hours a day six days a week, no more bills, I can go to the doctor again ( haven't been in 7 years, too expensive). I can also get my teeth fixed for free and go back to school for my master's degree which I couldn't afford to finish. Yep, federal prison is the way to go. I will even have cable television again. I haven't been able to afford that for a year now either. Thank god I have internet access at work so that I can read your clueless hippie dogshit comments youlliberal bastards.

September 3, 2010 at 11:26 | Report abuse | Reply
    • abcdef54321

Must you lace your comments with obscenities and profanities?
      "clueless hippie dogshit comments youlliberal bastards."
      My kids read the news on their computers. My mother reads this.

September 3, 2010 at 12:40 | Report abuse |
    • are you kidding me?

Are you serious kidding me? Here you are on some rant about "clueless hippies" and "liberal B.S." yet you are currently living like one by, in essence, mooching off the rest of us? Trying to live "off the grid" by not filing taxes, stealing internet from your employer?

People who live in glass houses should not throw stones. Get a clue, you clueless hippie.

September 3, 2010 at 16:06 | Report abuse |
  38. DocBlogger

The usatoday article I mentioned about in an earlier post makes it a point that most of these workers are independent contractors and pay FULL MEDICARE taxes (in addition to income tax, and soc sec tax). So money-wise are you at peace?

September 3, 2010 at 11:32 | Report abuse | Reply
    • TWM

Doc to you even read what you write? The illegals are for the most part not accounted for. They hang around Home Depots,Lowes,Covience stores,gas station harassing people for work. They do not pay taxes. The article you talk about is a very small part of the issue. Unions should be up in arms over these independents stealing their Union jobs. WAKE UP.

September 3, 2010 at 13:04 | Report abuse |
  39. David

BTW, sorry to my fellow americans that when I do get arrested and go to prison for income tax evasion you will have to pay for me. I feel bad that you will have to pay for me but I really can't take it anymore. Too much work, too little respect, and all just to survive from day to day. This was not what us Americans were raised to expect, working to just get by until it goes to sh$t and you become homeless. I am just sick of it all. Federal prison or suicide shouldn't be my fix for my problems. I work harder now than I ever have in my life, worn out at the end of the day, and aging quickly and I get nothing out of it but the ability to keep giving others my money. Once again, sorry y'all will have to foot the bill maybe I will do you all a favor and waste myself before being hauled off to prison. The morals I was raised with would necessitate such a move.

September 3, 2010 at 11:33 | Report abuse | Reply
    • abcdef54321

Best of luck to you in your new career stamping out license plates. I will be sure to vote for better medical care for federal prisoners. All Americans should be entitled to it.

September 3, 2010 at 12:47 | Report abuse |
  40. DocBlogger

Ah! Another usatoday article from TWO days ago "7 myths that cloud immigration debate " to quote...."Myth No. 1 — Illegal immigrants don't pay taxes. They actually pay a variety of taxes. Because many undocumented workers hold jobs, a large number pay income, Social Security and Medicare taxes, as well as sales taxes when they purchase items in stores and property taxes when they rent or own homes. One study found that they pay $162 billion annually in federal, state and local taxes. Another project found that the average immigrant paid $1,800 more in taxes than government benefits received."

September 3, 2010 at 11:35 | Report abuse | Reply
    • h8w8ting

Let me guess DocBlogger... You live in the northeast or midwest where illegal immigration isnt a drain on state coffers. Illegal Immigrants DO NOT PAY property taxes for the houses they rent... They fit 6 families in a 2 bedroom apt. They pay a bare minimum in sales tax. The vast majority DO NOT PAY INCOME TAX, SS or MEDICARE. Many have no auto insurance costing the rest of us Billions per year. They do NOT pay into the education system. They know where the welfare office is long before they cross the border. They send a large portion of their untaxed income back to home country. Many criminals come here illegally to further their criminal enterprises. Just look at Phoenix... Kidnapping capital of the country !!! perpetrated primarily by Illegal Alien criminals!!!

September 3, 2010 at 12:10 | Report abuse |
    • JY

Doc, do you really think everything you read is real? usa today articles, so what, I want to see the back up documentation and what exactly they used to come up with the numbers they are spouting. They can say and print what they want, I want to see where and how they got their information. You can't do that, all you can do is repeat what you read and watch on TV. Get in the real world that goes for Obama too.

September 3, 2010 at 14:40 | Report abuse |
  41. Sarah Palin is a Twit

Time to fire up those deportation buses. Round 'em up, load 'em up, head 'em out !

September 3, 2010 at 11:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  42. bridges2064

I cannot tell you how mad this story makes me. I went through breast cancer treatments & surgery over year ago and it nearly broke me. And now, these illegal ALIENS (not immigrants) just get medical treatment handed over to them. This is SO wrong on SO many levels, and VERY unfair.

September 3, 2010 at 11:38 | Report abuse | Reply
  43. taxpaying individual

Hi Grim Reaper
    First of all I am against illegal immigration, while this is totally different issue. if they are sick, they should be treated, even though they are illegal immigrant, they also contributed to economic development by working meaner jobs, buying stuff, so indirectly paying taxes, as well as paying rent, thereby someone’s mortgage, they should be treated, it is better than treating some criminal who is housed in jail, getting free meals, and sometime treatment for diseases.

September 3, 2010 at 11:46 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Dave

What about all the LEGAL residents who also contributed to society by working hard and paying taxes, but can not afford to pay for their treatments? Why is it that you feel CRIMINALS should have a higher priority than them? (And I don't just mean the criminals in jail- I mean the crimial illegals, because that is exactly what they are: criminals!)

September 3, 2010 at 15:26 | Report abuse |
    • tigerjoe

so these ILLEGAL aliens get free medical and welfare and social security....but when I an American citizen has to go to the hospital it costs me 30 grand for 3 days.... and there wont be any social security for me even though I paid into it for over 30 yrs.......what the hell is wrong with that? even Ray charles could see what's wrong here people.......come on wake up America

September 4, 2010 at 10:28 | Report abuse |
  44. kas

You're comment is disgusting. How racist and inhumane can you be? They are sick people, their legal status aside. I understand that many sick people don't get the treatment they need, but can't we be glad we live in a nation where at least some people do? Some other countries have no healthcare available at all. Many legal Americans get 'free-rides' as well...would you ask them to pick up your garbage or mow your lawn? Or did you say that just because these people are Mexican? Go do your own landscaping.

September 3, 2010 at 12:00 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Richard Ringgold

Wake up KAS, most of the world can't afford healthcare... are we responsible for everyone who is deserving as a human but can not pay? Pakistain, Hati, anywhere in Africa, etc.
      I'm sure that we need to face reality and realize that we are worthless capitalists and. as such, we should probally be forced to pay their cell phone and internet service bills because these are also a basic human rights (may as well include Starbucks).

September 3, 2010 at 15:20 | Report abuse |
  45. taxpaying individual

Hi Madison Park (CNNhealth.com Writer/Producer)
    It pains me to see the a poor piece of journalism bu the CNN WRITER/PRODUCER.
    first off all this is a poorly written article with a catchy phrase that brings out bad emotion among the people.
    Ok it is true that illegal immigrants are gettign dialysis care, HAS THE WRITER TAKEN CARE TO CHECK RECORDS AND DETERMINE IS IT FREE, OR IS IT PAYED BY SOMEONE ? IF SO HOW MUCH. AND the wtire also fails to mention if similar care is given to citizens and how is it paid for ?
    without this full detail, this article just stirrs up emotion, and increases hatred

September 3, 2010 at 12:02 | Report abuse | Reply
    • h8w8ting

Taxpaying Dbag... Of course its paid for by someone... You and I and every other tax paying american. Funny I got NO FREE Healthcare when I was in Mexico !!!

September 3, 2010 at 12:13 | Report abuse |
    • taxpaying individual

to h8w8ting
      While in Mexico, did you mow the lawn ? clean to bathrooms, pick up trash, or work in their farm ? if not then THAT IS WHY YOU DID NOT GET FREE HEALTHCARE,

September 3, 2010 at 12:22 | Report abuse |
  46. Gymrat

This is so unfair!! I was caught without health insurance since I was between jobs, and had to make a deal
    with the hospital to pay all the money back-and I did!!!! All $10,000. And that doesn't even include the emergency room visit, and the anesthesia, which I paid back as well. It makes me so mad that illegal immigrants don't have to
    pay a cent. I consider myself a liberal democrat but not on this issue!!!

September 3, 2010 at 12:02 | Report abuse | Reply
    • kevin schiller

Your right it shouldn't matter what party your in favor of it's about doing the right thing for the tax payer that need the health care, and should be in-titaled to it. don't make it into a political issue.

September 3, 2010 at 13:10 | Report abuse |
  47. william

even if they do pay 162 billion in taes as docblogger wants you to believe, they take a lot more than that in free housing, food, medical care, and schooling.lets get them and the politicians that support them OUT.

September 3, 2010 at 12:03 | Report abuse | Reply
  48. Reality Check

Ask yourself what would happen if you showed up "illegally" in any other country in the world and asked for free medical care. Once those who you asked stopped laughing you would be shot or deported on the spot. In NYC today areas like Brooklyn and Queens are overflowing with medical mills catering to legal and illegal immigrants who bilk the system and suck our tax dollars despite having never worked a day in their lives in this country. Unless people demand change this country is going right down the toilet.

September 3, 2010 at 12:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  49. PortlandDave

Unbelievable...it is unbelievable and a smack in the face to all LAW ABIDING US CITIZENS. And to all of you bleeding heart liberals I pose this rhetorical question to you. Go to ANY country in Europe and try this garbage and see where it gets you. I spent a year serving MY COUNTRY in Germany in the Army and I can tell you this, if you get injured or need medical care while you are there, they WILL help you. BUT you WILL receive a BILL. That's right sports fans you WILL receive a BILL. Because they don't and will not put up with someone SUCKING THEIR SYSTEM DRY THAT DOES NOT LIVE THERE LEGALLY. NUFF SAID...IT IS THE TRUTH...LIVE WITH IT.

September 3, 2010 at 12:09 | Report abuse | Reply
    • mesayso

Only a year? Why did you get kicked out?

September 3, 2010 at 13:39 | Report abuse |
    • Ituri

PortlandDave, as an INTELLIGENT liberal, I can tell you that most European countries have liberal health care systems for their citizenry. That means UNIVERSAL CARE, which they provide just as efficiently (often times MORE efficiently) and for CHEAPER than the US does its hodge-podge system by far. No liberal is saying that everyone in the world deserves our freely provided care, that would bankrupt the richest country easily. But OUR citizens deserve the Universal care that works so well in every other civilized country. We can afford it, it will be cheaper, our people will be healthier and have more options, less people will be ill from work or kill their employer with medical insurance costs, and no more insurance companies could screw families into the hole even when they have insurance that should pay out (and it often doesn't).

Your political polarization of this issue means you can't see clearly.

September 3, 2010 at 15:12 | Report abuse |
  50. Commonsense

The question posed in the Grady dialysis case is whether the government, in this case represented by a public hospital overseen by a joint county hospital authority, may turn off the critical life support system for individuals it accepted and treated as patients for several years, knowing that they will die within approximately two weeks, without violating the state and federal constitutional guarantees of due process the prohibit the government from depriving individuals of their fundamental right to life. If the legal precedent is established in this case that allows the government to act in this manner because of hatred, fear or ignorance against individuals whose immigration pedigree into this country is not formally documented, the unfortunate reality for those who allowed the legal precedent to become establish, is that the legal precedent will also allow the government to turn off life support for U.S. Citizens. This case has always been about challenging a government sponsored death panel that has focused on monetizing as opposed to humanizing the value of life.

Moreover, for those who reject our country's Jeudo-Christian values of caring for and healing those whose sickly condition we witness before us as fellow children of God in need, I suggest that they at least apply commonsense in supporting their own secular economic interests. The average resident household in Georgia benefits $2,500 to $3,000 from the economic contributions of undocumented immigrants after considering the additional expenditures for their education and health care, and their impact on the criminal justice system. These economic benefits flow from the approximate $250,000, 000 in taxes paid by undocumented immigrants each year, as well as their consumer purchases in our local economy, and the impact of their exploited labor in keeping down food prices, construction costs, etc. If the nearly the 450,000 estimated undocumented immigrants left our state and economy tomorrow, the pain we are presently feeling from the economic downturn, would seem like a walk in the park in comparison to the pain we would feel from the economic collapse resulting from the departure of 450,000 producers and consumers.

Undocumented immigrants, are Georgia's modern day slaves, whose cheap labor and second class citizenship continues along the state's long history of institutionalizing customs and policies that support the accumulation of wealth and opportunity for a domestic citizenry at the expense and exploitation of a disenfranchised group. As a master has a duty to take his pet to the vet when it is sick, so does the master have to care for his slave.

May God forgive all of those who have expressed such vial contempt for his children because they are blinded by their own lust, fear, ignorance and self loathing. The truth shall set you free.

September 3, 2010 at 12:11 | Report abuse | Reply
    • kevin schiller

than you flip the bill out of your own pocket if you feel so strong about it.

September 3, 2010 at 13:13 | Report abuse |
    • lc

Commonsense,

You sure are full of yourself arent you? Im 50 years old as of July and as I look back over the past it seems to me that the United States was doing just fine without all of the illegals and their so-called tax contributions. By the way, Im from Georgia. Atlanta as a matter of fact and Ive had to sit by for years watching the city I grew up in and loved overrun and destroyed, watched property values go down and neighborhoods turned in to mini slums so as someone else said if you are so gungho about illegals then you foot the bill. Its pompous, arrogant people like you who absolutely refuse to see the reality of the destruction thats being done to this country and its citizens.

September 3, 2010 at 13:47 | Report abuse |