home
RSS
August 11th, 2010

Menstrual cramps may modify the brain

Many women dread "that time of the month" because it comes with sharp pains and even nausea or dizziness. Sometimes, you just want to stay in bed.

But here's a surprise: according to new research, cramps during your period may actually alter the structure of your brain.

A study in the September issue of the journal PAIN looked at 32 patients who suffer menstrual cramps and 32 who do not, matched to the other participants by age and menstrual cycle.  Researchers did MRI scans of participants when they were not experiencing pain.

The study authors found significant changes in the volume of the brain's gray matter among women who usually have period cramps. They found substantial decreases in brain regions that play a role in pain transmission and higher level sensory processing. There were increases in gray matter volume in brain regions that deal with pain modulation and regulating endocrine function.

The consequences of these changes have not been established, says lead author Dr. Jen-Chuen Hsieh, of the Institute of Brain Science, National Yang-Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan. Further study must be done in order to figure out whether these changes affect brain function and if they are reversible.

Stay tuned for a CNN.com article later this week on women and chronic pain.

1. More Info electric repair

Thanks , I've recently been looking for information about this topic for ages and yours is the greatest I have discovered so far. But, what about the conclusion? Are you sure about the source?

December 3, 2020 at 08:58 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Dewayne Kinsland

Whoa! This blog looks exactly like my old one! It's on a totally different topic but it has pretty much the same page layout and design. Excellent choice of colors!

December 21, 2020 at 14:23 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Sheilah Passy

I am curious to find out what blog system you are using? I'm experiencing some minor security problems with my latest site and I'd like to find something more safe. Do you have any suggestions?

December 27, 2020 at 05:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Whitney Jandreau

There are certainly lots of particulars like that to take into consideration. That is a nice level to convey up. I supply the ideas above as basic inspiration however clearly there are questions like the one you bring up where the most important thing will likely be working in sincere good faith. I don?t know if best practices have emerged around things like that, however I'm sure that your job is clearly recognized as a good game. Both boys and girls really feel the influence of only a second’s pleasure, for the rest of their lives.

January 4, 2021 at 23:20 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Trevor

I do not even know how I ended up here, however I assumed this put
    up was great. I do not recognise who you're however definitely you are
    going to a famous blogger should you aren't already.
    Cheers!

Also visit my web-site стоимость липосакции

January 7, 2021 at 08:44 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Danial Trentham

Good day! I know this is somewhat off topic but I was wondering which blog platform are you using for this website? I'm getting fed up of WordPress because I've had issues with hackers and I'm looking at alternatives for another platform. I would be awesome if you could point me in the direction of a good platform.

January 10, 2021 at 04:49 | Report abuse | Reply