home
RSS
July 27th, 2010

Toddler impaled by pressure washer

A 17-month old North Carolina boy slipped off a chair and was impaled by a rod that lodged two to three inches into his head.

The L-shaped rod, which was attached to a pressure washer, was stuck next to the biggest vein in the toddler’s brain, according to CNN affiliate WRAL in Raleigh, North Carolina. Injury to the vein could have resulted in instant death or a massive stroke or the boy could’ve bled to death when the rod was pulled out. Read more on WRAL.

On Monday, Jessiah Jackson sat on the lap of his family members as he stared bright-eyed into the camera and cooed.  His family, who live in Leland, North Carolina, call him their "blessed baby," according to CNN affiliate WTVD.  Read more on WTVD.

The only sign of the accident was a pink wound on the back of his head.

After Jessiah fell on the rod on July 17, his family reacted immediately and a neighbor who is a rescue squad volunteer sawed off the power washer, according to the affiliates' reports. Jessiah received treatment at UNC Hospitals in Chapel Hill where doctors removed the rod after a two-hour surgery.

1. MEME

Cutest kid ever!

July 27, 2010 at 11:50 | Report abuse | Reply
    • themama

he is just that 🙂

July 27, 2010 at 14:32 | Report abuse |
    • Cindy

He is cute and lucky! God bless him!

July 27, 2010 at 14:37 | Report abuse |
  2. MEME

You must of thought it was news worthy...clicked on it. So why even comment? Duh

July 27, 2010 at 11:52 | Report abuse | Reply
    • J

What's your excuse?

July 27, 2010 at 14:40 | Report abuse |
  3. a parent

Its a good story. Chill out.

July 27, 2010 at 11:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. That's What's Up

you obviously don't have kids

July 27, 2010 at 11:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. mi5key

It's news because it happened. If it can help someone be a little more careful and prevent an accident in the future, it's news. Relax, it's just a website and a link. Don't click on it if you're that uptight.

July 27, 2010 at 12:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. R

Wow. Deep-seated anger much?

July 27, 2010 at 12:40 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. amazed

bogart – really? You're a piece of work. Go back under the rock from which you crawled out from.

July 27, 2010 at 12:52 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Leonidas Aponte

If I were the parent involved, I would be happy that my child was OK, but would certainly seek compensation, whether through a 'friendly-neighbor' agreement or small claims court, for the damage caused to my power washer.

July 27, 2010 at 12:56 | Report abuse | Reply
    • DM

Why would you be so concerned about the damn powerwasher? As a parent, that would be the least of my concerns.

July 27, 2010 at 14:21 | Report abuse |
    • J

What a jerk you are to even be worried about a washer, that baby could have died, what if it were yours? Greedy Basterd

July 27, 2010 at 14:36 | Report abuse |
    • Tiffany

OMG! I was taken back to read your response, instead of commenting on how its a miracle that the little boy is still alive – you talk about getting reimbursement for the power washer. Seriously?

July 27, 2010 at 14:52 | Report abuse |
    • Sally

Who are you going to sue? No where in the article does it say he was at the neighbors house or even that it was the neighbors pressure washer. I sure hope you don't have any kids.

July 27, 2010 at 14:58 | Report abuse |
    • WOW

I think this was a poor attempt of humor. Good try, but bad taste.

July 27, 2010 at 15:02 | Report abuse |
    • Rob

You people will fall for anything. This guy just said this to see how many people he could piss off.

July 27, 2010 at 15:03 | Report abuse |
    • Kayla

You are a horrible person! It's people like you that make me sick. Always with the suing, any chance you have. I hope the parents are nothing like you and just happy their son is OK!

Other than this POS, what a great story! So happy for the family!

July 27, 2010 at 15:05 | Report abuse |
    • Stephen Selos

Agree, people don't see the humour, terrible it happened to the boy but I got a good chuckle off the compensation for a power washer

July 27, 2010 at 15:19 | Report abuse |
    • Legal

Read the last name of the person making the comment. It will explain everything to you....that is just my opinion.

July 27, 2010 at 15:21 | Report abuse |
    • Ferg

TROLLED HARD

July 27, 2010 at 15:26 | Report abuse |
    • BenRothlisburger

Hahaha.

July 27, 2010 at 16:31 | Report abuse |
    • Wzrd1

The parent already opened a case in court.
      They are suing themselves for being stupid enough to leave the child around solid objects.

July 27, 2010 at 17:15 | Report abuse |
    • qwerty

This is a joke, right?

July 27, 2010 at 17:21 | Report abuse |
    • Michael Mallon

Wow. Way to go, megatroll. That was a homerun.

July 27, 2010 at 17:38 | Report abuse |
    • nicole

ok. r u serious? in that case, the child is the parent's responsibility and one can ask..if u were in this situation, where were you when this happened? this is great that the baby survived and accidents happen..even when you are a responsible parent.. so there is no reason to blame the parents or the other..i can see if you trust a childcare facility, and they are negligent..but as a parent myself, u blink and kids can be getting into things. but just like u are quick to jump off the handle, remember that your kids are your responsibility. u have to look at it in different angles...and for u to consider that thought so fast, is disgusting. I hope you have no kids bc u would be negligent and then sue someone else for damages you couldve prevented by being proactive and responsible. this comment in no way criticizes the child's family bc accidents happen and they have gone through a lot and do not deserve scrutiny bc bad things can happen to the best of us..this is just an example to show u another aspect since u are trying to poke a finger

July 27, 2010 at 17:43 | Report abuse |
    • Taffy

You totally suck.

July 27, 2010 at 17:59 | Report abuse |
    • RC

They should sue you for being at the bottom of the barrel in humanity.

July 27, 2010 at 18:50 | Report abuse |
    • duhhh

It's called sarcasm, people. Sheesh. All the replies show that 95% of people truly are idiots.

July 27, 2010 at 19:08 | Report abuse |
    • kody

Lol Hilarious. I agree

July 28, 2010 at 14:40 | Report abuse |
  9. Shocked

What a terrible thing to say

July 27, 2010 at 12:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Me

No mention of who was at fault for leaving the child unsupervised?

July 27, 2010 at 13:26 | Report abuse | Reply
    • LIvinginVA

Who says he was unsupervised? Kids run, they fall, they slip. Sometimes they even do actively dangerous things when the parent is 15 feet away and races to stop them. Fortunately, most of the time, they don't get badly hurt.

July 27, 2010 at 13:55 | Report abuse |
    • themama

kids fall, it happens.

July 27, 2010 at 14:27 | Report abuse |
    • BioHzrd

Who said the child wasn't supervised. As a child, I sliced my toe open in a pool surrounded by lifeguards and parents. Kids get hurt even under a parents watchful eye.

July 27, 2010 at 14:50 | Report abuse |
    • Dave

I read this, and I am happy for the child. What concerns me is that the child was in a position to 'slip' off of the chair, which tells me he was standing- and that a piece of dangerous machinery was being operated near/left by the child. Common sense!

July 27, 2010 at 15:03 | Report abuse |
    • Joy

Don't be so dumb. Accidents are called accidents for a reason.

July 27, 2010 at 15:17 | Report abuse |
    • qwerty

Typical non-parent response... It's funny how those without kids seem to know so much about taking care of kids.

July 27, 2010 at 17:22 | Report abuse |
    • jason

guess some morons feel we are suppose to strap our children a chair in a padded room and protect them from everything......oh wait then they call that child abuse. freak accidents happen and even if you had your child right in your arms theres always the chance for danger. The world isnt perfect and theres not always the need to point fingers and label a blame like some are so quick to do.

July 27, 2010 at 18:05 | Report abuse |
    • RC

I've got numerous scars from childhood. All it takes is a split second of misfortune to get hurt. One slip, one fall, drop a glass, you name it. Accidents are just that, accidents.

July 27, 2010 at 18:53 | Report abuse |
  11. amazed

I can not believe that Leonidas Aponte would still be interested in seeking compensation!!! The neighbor helped save the little boys life....is that not enough? A freaken pressure washer....get another one. You can't replace your son!

July 27, 2010 at 13:28 | Report abuse | Reply
    • allanhowls

Congratulations, "amazed," on not getting the concept of a "joke."
      You can look it up at the library. Or just ask someone to explain it for you.

July 27, 2010 at 13:53 | Report abuse |
    • oh my ears

beware the trolls. Some kids have nothing better to do then post sickening comments.

July 27, 2010 at 14:21 | Report abuse |
  12. Bubba

Too many people today are idiots. This is my comment on both the story and the comments.

July 27, 2010 at 13:36 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jim Slade

Yep. Most of em are named "Bubba" too.

July 27, 2010 at 14:15 | Report abuse |
  13. mede72

What an adorable baby, I'm glad he's okay. Accidents happen everyday, especially when dealing with children.

July 27, 2010 at 14:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. GuestWho

I'm so glad this story has a happy ending. My prayers go out to this little guy and his family. He has such a sweet smile, it just melted my heart. I have a little boy around the same age (who looks a lot like Jessiah). As a parent, I know that accidents can happen, unfortunately, but I'm glad that this little boy will be OK. Truly a miracle.

July 27, 2010 at 14:21 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jim Dollar

Stop it. You are not praying for him. Stop saying that.

July 27, 2010 at 14:54 | Report abuse |
    • GuestWho

Jim Dollar, you clearly must have the ability to read my mind. *rolls eyes*

Sorry if my mention of prayer offended you, but I have the right to say it. And by the way, I *did* say a prayer for Jessiah.

July 27, 2010 at 14:59 | Report abuse |
  15. Rickey

Obviously, they were brainwashing the kid!

July 27, 2010 at 14:21 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Matt

@Rickey...LOL, brainwash!

July 27, 2010 at 15:39 | Report abuse |
    • Bob

With a little work this could be a Beverly Hillbillies skit–"Hey Uncle Jed, come watch me brainwash Ellie Mae! Aww, how am I supposed to brainwash her if she wont let me stick the washer in her ear?"

July 27, 2010 at 15:44 | Report abuse |
    • Eclipsin

HAHAHAHAHAHA. sick, but hilarious. nice work.

July 27, 2010 at 16:30 | Report abuse |
  16. Joe

Wow.
    Why didn't they remove it during the surgery?

July 27, 2010 at 14:29 | Report abuse | Reply
    • J

ok you obviously can't read, it was removed during surgery; but they couldn't just pull it out or he would bleed to death!

July 27, 2010 at 14:39 | Report abuse |
    • GuestWho

Um, near the end of the article:

"Jessiah received treatment at UNC Hospitals in Chapel Hill where doctors removed the rod after a two-hour surgery."

Reading (comprehension) is fundamental!

July 27, 2010 at 14:40 | Report abuse |
    • suzannah

you know – you're right – if you're making the point that the reporter misspoke about when, technically, the rod was removed. It was removed DURING the surgery. More middle school level reporting and an editor asleep at the desk. Happy outcome for the family, though.

July 27, 2010 at 18:45 | Report abuse |
  17. JamieinMN

Wow! What a lucky little guy :- D So glad they had a happy ending.

July 27, 2010 at 14:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Kathy

You can be a good parent and provide supervision to your child and accidents can still happen. It only takes a minute to be distracted or to turn your back for a second or two and an accident can happen. Thank God this child is ok. As for people who think the neighbor should have to compensate them for the damage done to the power washer–be real. If my child's life was in danger and someone could save them, feel free to destroy anything I have to accomplish that. That wouldn't even be a thought in my mind, but it just goes to show you there are all kinds of people in this world.

July 27, 2010 at 14:37 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. P

What a sweet little boy. I am glad it turned out ok for them.

July 27, 2010 at 14:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Carol - Midwest

Its good to read about a happy ending involving such a adorable little boy. Our town has been beseiged lately with violent crime and a beautiful little girl was taken after being shot in the head.

Its nice to read a story with a happy ending. Good luck to this little man. He is obviously surrounded by a good loving family. I wish him and his family all the best.

July 27, 2010 at 14:45 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Sunny

So glad he's ok, absolutely the cutest kid! 🙂

July 27, 2010 at 14:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. BioHzrd

Glad to see that CNN has started to remove the some of the vile and unneccessary comments of our peers, since a few comments here are referring to items no longer present. FINALLY CNN, Thank you!

July 27, 2010 at 14:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Courtney

Thank you lord that he is okay.... Accidents do happen!!! Bless his heart! and bless his family.. threw his incrediable recovery

July 27, 2010 at 14:55 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Bob

I think I'd be more gratefull if the "Good Lord" had kept this from happening in the first place. Seems more like a Disinterested Lord, or maybe a Not Paying Attention Lord.

July 27, 2010 at 15:54 | Report abuse |
  24. Karen

I'm so glad he's okay. This could've been so much worse.

July 27, 2010 at 14:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. DJM

Just you watch now.... Some moron will blame this on Obama!

July 27, 2010 at 15:03 | Report abuse | Reply
    • thedude

I blame Obama.

July 27, 2010 at 16:03 | Report abuse |
    • Mac

Definitely Obama's fault, if he would have implimented Obamacare now instead of 2014 the accident would never have happend. Anyone can see that. Plus we should have government inspectors of all pressure washers, perhaps use the MMS guys that were inspecting the BP oil rig. Thanks to the explosion, BP is flushing out all the nasty water from the Gulf and replaceing it with free oil for all the Katrina victims to pick up and use. Talk about job creation. Awesome!!

July 27, 2010 at 18:16 | Report abuse |
  26. Shawn

Wow! Always nice to hear a happy ending to what couldhave been a sad moemnt for a family! Lucky..a mricle...a blessing indeed!!

July 27, 2010 at 15:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. rad666

He is the cutest thing ever, glad he's OK

July 27, 2010 at 15:05 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. Poohpoohman

brainwashed, that's funny.

July 27, 2010 at 15:12 | Report abuse | Reply
  29. Hooligan

Leonidas – You must be a Right Wing Conservative. Only they would think about how to make a profit from something like this. Blzzzzzppppp!!!!

July 27, 2010 at 15:20 | Report abuse | Reply
  30. bogart

kids suck

July 27, 2010 at 15:30 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Matt

Well, it's a damn good thing you popped out of your mother's uterus as a fully-grown moron then, isn't it bogart?

July 27, 2010 at 16:49 | Report abuse |
  31. polly

who. cares.

July 27, 2010 at 15:34 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. RichG

Shi+ happens! No such thing as being blessed, it's called luck. Happy to hear the kid is ok.

July 27, 2010 at 15:36 | Report abuse | Reply
  33. pat hahn

A lot suit seems to be in order – I'll represent the poor fella....after reading the article, it seems the rod was made slightly off center....only a properly filed lawsuit will bring the truth out in this highly controversial article

July 27, 2010 at 15:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  34. fred

Bogart is great reason for birth control!!

July 27, 2010 at 15:43 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. Greg

Thankfully he's ok.

July 27, 2010 at 15:51 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. Bassem

You call this a "blessed baby"? what do you call kids who don't get a rod stuck in their skull to start with?

July 27, 2010 at 15:52 | Report abuse | Reply
  37. Bob

This is a common parental mistake. Kids generally don't need powerwashing until their teens. A little liquid soap, 80F water, and the 40 degree spray nozzle. It's good for their rooms, too.

July 27, 2010 at 15:52 | Report abuse | Reply
    • GuestWho

Now, I gotta admit, *that* was funny.

July 27, 2010 at 16:06 | Report abuse |
  38. eppc

How can CNN report on this type of news without violating HIPPA? Not to mention a toddler, I thought Chicago was the only news area that reported off of a police scanner radio, now CNN is, too.

Gross America we live in!!!!

July 27, 2010 at 15:55 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Heather

Then move somewhere else.

July 27, 2010 at 17:13 | Report abuse |
    • tma1953

You're ridiculous. And nobody cares what you have for dinner. Nobody.

July 27, 2010 at 17:48 | Report abuse |
    • nicole

uhm yes there are laws that protect our privacy but they are not going to publish delicate and private information about someone unless there is consent..the parents had to consent and even voluntarily share their story..that was good bc it gives us more awareness..

July 27, 2010 at 17:50 | Report abuse |
    • jemileesmom

As a news reporting agency, CNN has nothing to do with HIPPA. The only way HIPPA could be violated in this case is if someone from the hospital that treated him did an interview and released information without consent. HIPPA only applies to those who treat patients and the facilities who store and process the patient's information.

July 27, 2010 at 17:53 | Report abuse |
  39. David Chan

I'm glad he is ok.

July 27, 2010 at 16:21 | Report abuse | Reply
  40. RememberGB

Accidents do happen to kids. I was the most accident prone kid ever! Lived with casts and stitches all the time until I got into athletics in my teens and was properly trained. My poor parents never knew what to expect. Years later I had a daughter and, yep, the accident gene expressed itself again. She and I bonded over many things including my training her athletically. Now she's almost 30 and she and I are both intact. That's a miracle! Some folks just find every opportunity for an accident – supervised or not!

July 27, 2010 at 16:21 | Report abuse | Reply
  41. sensibleRay

One lucky cute kid. But what does he know about what mischief he got into for no fault his.
    BTW , how come i see no hate meessages and conflicts here like i saw in the similar post of a kid stumbling 14 stories and falling down and surviving.
    Did humans evolve so fast and polite ? Huh !! BTW, I noticed that this is a black kid and hence also the general responses and comments are quite few. Is there a correlation between his color and cuteness factor ??

BTW : Bogart should be taken away as an exotic human pet for some alien in remote world. Put in a cage, nutered or spayed and then taught to live doing tricks .
    Leonidas was just making a joke. Ok, People. That was meant to be a stand up comedy line.

July 27, 2010 at 16:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  42. Zach Borris

What's funny is the people that make comments on here to tick people off...then those "ticked off" people comment back, don't you have anything better to do??? Go outside or something...but then again, I'm doing the same thing:)

July 27, 2010 at 16:37 | Report abuse | Reply
  43. Caral from SoCal

What a cutie! My second son was a toddler-on-the-go...and yes, accidents do still happen no matter
    how vigilent the parents might be. I am so thrilled he is okay! Blessed baby, indeed.

July 27, 2010 at 16:45 | Report abuse | Reply
  44. Chuck

TO HOOLIGAN! You mean a right wing conservative like John Kerry who didn't want to pay his taxes to the state he represents so he parked his Yacht in the harbor in Rhode Island? Or Charlie boy Rangel who is being brought up on charges on ethics violations? You are a LIBTARD, and liberals are only generous with other people’s money. Get a clue!

July 27, 2010 at 16:51 | Report abuse | Reply
  45. Lyle H. Trask

Thank God and the Doctors!

July 27, 2010 at 17:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  46. Mike in San Antonio

Excellent! About time we had a feel good story here!

July 27, 2010 at 17:07 | Report abuse | Reply
  47. Dumb Kid

What a dumb kid. He had so much left to live for. Suicide is never the answer even for 17 month old children who poop their pants and can't do anything of value yet.

Go see a shrink next time you think about offing yourself by impaling your head to a water heater!!!! SOME PEOPLE!!!

July 27, 2010 at 17:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  48. Vincent

Gotta love America and our retarded children

July 27, 2010 at 17:20 | Report abuse | Reply
  49. jaime

Who the hell cares? Stupid, negligent parents should be watching their brats and things like this won't happen. I hope the power washer is okay. Kids always break stuff.

July 27, 2010 at 17:22 | Report abuse | Reply
  50. Stephen

That is a beautiful little boy! Quick clear headed thinking saved his life. I know I'd be a basket-case if that happened to my grandson.

Great story!