home
RSS
July 26th, 2010

Full face transplant patient appears in public

The world's first full face transplant recipient, identified only as Oscar, appeared in public for the first time at a press conference held at a Spanish hospital on Monday.

In March, University Hospital Vall d'Hebron performed the  transplant in an operation that took 24 hours. Oscar, whose face was severely injured in an accident, had undergone nine failed operations before being considered for the transplant.

Surgeons transplanted the entire facial skin and muscles, nose, lips, maxilla, palate, all teeth, cheekbones, and the mandible through plastic surgery and micro-neurovascular reconstructive surgery techniques, according to the hospital.

CNN: Spanish doctors conduct full face transplant

Although this is the first total face transplant, there have been partial face transplants in France, the United States, China and Spain.
Read about the U.S. partial face transplant recipient.

1. Kraig Rasool

Seeing the patient with a full face transplant is not only remarkable....but a bit bewildering. Not knowing how extensive the
    facial injuries were I can only comment on how much of a sucess this has made him feel...Society is so tuned into looking
    at the face and judging those who are not up to the standards of beauty that is understandable that this person has remain
    hidden for so long. I applaud him for coming out of the shadows and showing the entire world that he can live a normal life
    even with what others may call a flaw..

July 26, 2010 at 11:01 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Lindsay Carroll

I can't believe all of the mean and cruel comments I am seeing!!! What if that were you??? I bet it wouldn't be so funny then!!! Some people people have no heart!!!

July 26, 2010 at 11:45 | Report abuse |
    • Yar

You can imagine the extent of the accident based on what was transplanted: upper jaw, lower jaw, cheek bone, lips, nose, all the facial muscles and of course, the skin covering all that.

July 26, 2010 at 11:47 | Report abuse |
    • charlie

OMG, I'm on here everyday and it never ceases to amaze me as to how many a- holes there are in this country. How could you be so mean as to make fun of this person? I really hope you immature @$%^%%$&$&*&$&*)@!@!@#$ feel really good about yourselves

July 26, 2010 at 11:52 | Report abuse |
    • Alex

very, very well said

July 26, 2010 at 12:31 | Report abuse |
    • scott

The internet is not real in terms of socialization. Applying social norms to the internet is odd. Hence, I think the patient has a face that is a moral and social good. The patient looks like a character from the Peanuts as well. The face appears like a caricature. In all, I hope great things for the human being.

July 26, 2010 at 13:00 | Report abuse |
    • Liza

I totally agree with you on this one! Somebody with some sense for a change!

July 26, 2010 at 13:01 | Report abuse |
    • RoundBalls

"Society" isn't so much "tuned" to looking at the face... as humans are biologically predisposed to view the faces of others and process facial information in great detail.

July 26, 2010 at 13:03 | Report abuse |
    • Edwin

Lindsay: because posting is essentially anonymous, it allows people to express the cruel, mean thoughts they keep inside at other times.

Most people would secretly make fun of this man, because he looks strange. They would not make fun of him to his face, but they would behind his back. This is a universal human truth, not a new trend.

July 26, 2010 at 13:21 | Report abuse |
    • ngmcs8203

@Kraig – this is the internet. Why are you expecting there to be any sense of social normalcy here when the only identifying factor is a handle/avatar. On the internet it can be hard to distinguish between a 13yr old and a 30yr old when it comes to comments. If you think this is bad I would suggest that you don't wander too far off of CNNs site. The internet is an ugly place.

July 26, 2010 at 13:28 | Report abuse |
    • ddddddddd

some people view these advances in medical ability and technology as something to be marveled. however, we are allowing people to cheat death and live beyond their natural selection. This is problematic and defies the laws of nature and the world we live in. I don't blame this person rather the doctors that are keeping people alive longer and longer beyond their life cycle.

July 26, 2010 at 13:45 | Report abuse |
    • christy

I prah at mey people are kind to him when he goes about his daily life. This person and I have something in common. I was born very unattractive. Its true. In school, middle and high school, The boys would call me a dog, the girls would stare and laugh at me. I couldnt wait till the day I never had to see these people again. But it still goes on, when I go the grocery store or any place. People are just plain cruel

July 26, 2010 at 14:35 | Report abuse |
    • Em

to ddddddddd:

Your comment about natural selection and the law of nature obviously shows that you know nothing about evolution or what the term "natural selection" really represents. You should definitely try to understand what natural selection is and not throw the term around in such a way. Someone getting into a horrific accident has nothing to do with evolution and natural selection! It's purely something that happens, not something that is determined by the fitness (and when I say fitness I am talking genome here) of the individual. You are ignorant, What is wrong with you? This person has every right to live a full life, even after a near death accident, they are not cheating death or defying "natural order".

July 26, 2010 at 17:02 | Report abuse |
    • Amy

I agree. Imagine walking out in front of that huge audience and all of those flashing cameras just be judged all over again. He's a very brave man! Best wishes to him!!

July 26, 2010 at 18:22 | Report abuse |
    • Luis

Thank you for posting such a smart and well written comment. I'm so used to reading ignorant comments on these pages that your was a breath of fresh air. I agree with everything you said.

July 26, 2010 at 18:45 | Report abuse |
    • andrea

I'm also pleased to see this man with a new face. I know there are a lot of insensitive people out there... but imagine your worst nightmare, you're in an accident. Not only is your face such an important gathering of function... talking, eating, smiling, expressing, breathing, but it's also the way all people will judge you for your entire life.
      I'm sure this man is dealing with a tremendous amount of swelling and congestion, I'm sure the pain is more than notable. Please people making rude comments, try to put yourself in his place, if only for a moment. I bet you'd give every bit of money you ever had, for just a normal life.

July 26, 2010 at 19:37 | Report abuse |
    • ddddddddd

@ EM – natural selection doesn't have to pertain strictly to Darwinism. If you can not continue living through your bodies natural process of healing your time is up. Accident or no accident. All though the accident may not be something of a direct natural occurrence it's the point of having doctors reconstruct and prolong the life of someone who should have naturally died due to their injuries. that is the point I'm making, I'm sorry your stupidity inhibited you from understanding that.

July 26, 2010 at 19:58 | Report abuse |
    • Laura

@ddddddddddddd

Yes, we are altering the course of evolution, but did you consider that our advancements in science and technology are part of our evolution? The brains that allowed us to develop modern medicine aren't cheating death or natural selection. Rather, it's a trait that has been selected for. Because we have intelligence and ingenuity we survive. Instead of perishing from an infection or genetic disorder we live. Perhaps we're increasing the frequency of formerly detrimental genes, but evolutionarily speaking, if an organism with such a trait is able to survive and reproduce, it's not detrimental. Without our intelligence our species would be going in a different direction, but you can't claim that one is more natural than another.

July 26, 2010 at 21:44 | Report abuse |
    • Bonnie

@dddddd: You still don't understand. The guy lived. He survived 1) the accident; 2) numerous surgeries. Yes, medicine and surgery helped save him but his body was capable of being saved. To me, that is an evolutionary success. That his body could be put through so much and yet still function. When you consider how many people die from stress related illnesses and injuries, this guy is a walking homo-superior. Anyway, if you truly feel that way then I suggest you start forgoing brushing your teeth, applying band-aids, and washing your hands. Who needs that when we're all busy keeping the human race strong?

July 26, 2010 at 22:21 | Report abuse |
    • ne_redneck

Very brave to go out in public under cameras after such a surgery. Your face is wonderful and I hope it makes you feel awesome, you deserve it.

July 26, 2010 at 23:31 | Report abuse |
  2. BTB

I think it's amazing and wonderful that medicine and technology can do this for somebody. This person went through a horrific accident and having no remnants of a face, is now able to lead somewhat of a normal life. We just had a shotgun blast victim here in Oregon that received a new partial face transplant. Good luck to these people and may they live long, full lives.

July 26, 2010 at 11:11 | Report abuse | Reply
    • DD

Did the donated parts for the surgery come from a single donor? If so, does the paitent resemble the donor? Just curious. Fascinating story!

July 26, 2010 at 14:50 | Report abuse |
  3. Impressive

There are so many muscles in the face that it is amazing to consider it can be reconstructed. This is not as simple as reattaching one bicep to the bone. I am sure he considers this to be a dramatic success from what must have been a horrific burn or scarring accident.

July 26, 2010 at 11:11 | Report abuse | Reply
    • thrasher

Amazing! It looks like there might be some nerve damage, but i'm sure it's a vast improvement. They may not be able to repair all the muscles in the face yet. Can't wait to see what the coming years will bring.

July 26, 2010 at 13:01 | Report abuse |
  4. Ashamedofyourselves

How sad, that people would poke fun at someone who has gone through something you will never be able to understand. I wish those who make horrible comments could, in fact, experience a fraction of what this man experienced. Then maybe you'd get it.

July 26, 2010 at 11:12 | Report abuse | Reply
    • SuzyQ

I agree whoe heartedly. My best wishes go out to this individual anyone else who may one day need this procedure.

July 26, 2010 at 11:21 | Report abuse |
    • Michelle

Well said. I agree it is remarkable and I can't for a moment imagine the pain he has been through and the amount of courage he must have. I am so glad he was able to receive this amazing procedure.

July 26, 2010 at 11:33 | Report abuse |
    • Alfred

I think people turn to humor when they're facing something they have a hard time with. It's a reflexive, sort of nervous thing. I doubt anyone here feels unsympathetic for this guy and what he's obviously already been through and will now have to go through.

July 26, 2010 at 11:37 | Report abuse |
    • evoc

Or, at least feel some empathy and compassion, without actually having to go through it themselves.

July 26, 2010 at 11:37 | Report abuse |
    • Chelles

Bravo. Well said.

July 26, 2010 at 11:45 | Report abuse |
    • charlie

NO Alfred, these punks on here mean every bad thing they say. Call it like it is. People in this country are mean and nasty. Been dealing with it for 40 years, and Caron I agree.

July 26, 2010 at 11:55 | Report abuse |
    • Ldogdoula

The internet has provided endless opportunities for anonymous cyberbullying. YouTube is a prime example... videos are full of racist, sexist, homophobic, ableist, ageist, etc etc etc comments that NOT ONE of the bullies would DARE say to another human's face, or say at all if it wasn't 100% anonymous. People who cyberbully are cowards, point blank.

July 26, 2010 at 12:50 | Report abuse |
    • mslman71

Truly amazing. Skin and facial muscles and that which goes along with them are impressive enough, but the extent of this transplant is unbelievable. I hope it all works out well for this person. It must take one heck of a cocktail to keep his body from rejecting it.

July 26, 2010 at 12:51 | Report abuse |
  5. Rob

Wow, thats amazing. Looks good.

July 26, 2010 at 11:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Aubrie

I can't even fathom the horror this poor man has been through. I'm so happy for him that this was available to give him back some semblance of a real life. It's a miracle. I'm sure there is lots of therapy to learn how to use those new muscles in his future. It appears he's still having some swelling issues which is understandable. I am certain he will continue to improve and they will tweek the issues to perfect his new face. What a brave man.

July 26, 2010 at 11:14 | Report abuse | Reply
    • evoc

We see it as brave. He may feel it as a gift.

July 26, 2010 at 11:39 | Report abuse |
  7. Andrea

It is remarkable .....and Congrats Oscar I am totally proud of you showing the success you and docters have established!

July 26, 2010 at 11:14 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. city guy

Certainly, some idiots may make comments on the expression on the mans face, but realize, the amount of surgery and what was done to help this poor man. The amount of surgery was amazing. It is unfortunate that many people look at anything less than perfect as inferior.

July 26, 2010 at 11:15 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Chelles

There's no 'like' button like on Facebook so....thumbs up on your comment 🙂

July 26, 2010 at 11:47 | Report abuse |
    • slug

he definitely doesn't seem poor

July 26, 2010 at 12:18 | Report abuse |
    • James Franco

Is wonderful to see how his face has been constructed after such a terrible accident. Before he didnt even have eyes, mouth or a nose. What a transformation.
      That is one of the beauties of medicine in Europe. Wish our medicine was as cheap as is in Europe and as good. Same for our terrible education. Sad that all European nations are ahead of us in so many things except for making arms and invading other nations.

July 26, 2010 at 18:39 | Report abuse |
  9. Dave

You're thinking of the awesome movie that is Face/Off with Nick Cage and John Travolta!

July 26, 2010 at 11:15 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. 'T

What's scary, gross, and otherwise are the negative comments. Wow!

July 26, 2010 at 11:15 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Heather

It's crazy to see what they can do. Now it looks like he has a ways to go to teach his new facial muscles to contract (ie close his mouth, etc) but hopefully they can continue to improve on it! That's awesome!

July 26, 2010 at 11:17 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Stevens in Virginia, USA

Best of luck to this fellow, but I wish the story had told us more. He "appeared in public for the first time at a press conference," tends to suggest that there were some questions and answers, but none of that is reported. Why not?

July 26, 2010 at 11:17 | Report abuse | Reply
    • evoc

CNN has become the Readers' Digest of news reporting.

July 26, 2010 at 11:41 | Report abuse |
    • D'oh!

Arnold: 1.) Stop screaming. Writing in all-caps is screaming. Why are you screaming? 2.) This is an article about a face transplant, not conspiracy theories. 3.) Srsly, stop screaming.

July 26, 2010 at 12:19 | Report abuse |
    • Anne

I really don't like it when CNN only gives half a story. If there is a legal reason as to why they couldn't report on the Q & A of the press conference, please explain.

July 26, 2010 at 14:24 | Report abuse |
  13. Katherine

He looks really good!! Full face transplants are really hard to do. I know if I were without a face I would want one, even if it isn't perfect. Living without a face would feel something like walking out of the house naked with everyones eyes glued to you gawking. Oscar is really blessed and looks handsome!!!

July 26, 2010 at 11:18 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. nyc_local

After what this guy has been through (9 surgeries?), I think he's probably grateful to be alive and resume some of the activities he enjoyed prior to his accident, things that the rest of us take for granted every day. I don't think he's comparing his new face to Don Draper's. God bless him. Reminds us to not be so quick to judge others on their appearance.

July 26, 2010 at 11:18 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. ALi

Good Job .... Hey People a little respct with your comments , the doctors did a great Job .

July 26, 2010 at 11:19 | Report abuse | Reply
    • yunah

Oscar, u look great! God is really so good, He not only saved you from that accident but He gave you the best doctors who not only did their job great..but great great great!
      God bless you,Oscar.. and we are all so proud of you..

July 26, 2010 at 11:46 | Report abuse |
  16. rob

i think that this guy is a hero to those who have horrific facial injuries, and those of you who are unable to muster up some human compassion are a complete waste of space on this planet.

July 26, 2010 at 11:19 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. STLrose

I am marveling at the extent of medical technology and skill that such an advancement is possible.
    I am humbled by the human spirit as evidenced by this young man.
    The small trials of my day just shrunk in size. Blessings to all involved and thank you, CNN, for sharing this story with your readers.

July 26, 2010 at 11:20 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. v shiloh

For those low-life trailer trash who make such obscene comments at such a successful but tragic event, perhps your comments would not be so cruel if the victim was your child. You should thank whatever God to whom you pray such an event never happens to you.

Go have another beer and watch some more Nascar and stop reading the news, it overheats your brain.

July 26, 2010 at 11:21 | Report abuse | Reply
    • NotMe

Not everyone who watches Nascar is as ignorant and closed-minded as those who chose to show their stupidity with negative remarks. Please rethink your own prejudice and stop equating narrow-mindedness with Southern or Nascar.

July 26, 2010 at 12:12 | Report abuse |
    • B_roony

v shiloh:
      Only people who watch Nascar, live in trailers, and drink beer can be insensitive? I agree with you that some comments made have been outright stupid...but check your own before criticizing others

July 26, 2010 at 12:22 | Report abuse |
    • cg wilson

Hey watch out bud – I watch NASCAR, drink beer and have two advanced degrees. Why are you so angry? Anyone can be a cruel, mean idiot. Be careful what you say – you may appear to be one.....

July 26, 2010 at 12:25 | Report abuse |
    • Mike

You were doing great until you decided to slam all who happen to drink beer and/or watch NASCAR. I happen to do both and don't consider myself ignorant, though that term can apparently be used to describe you.

July 26, 2010 at 16:39 | Report abuse |
  19. Liostknight

Okay the guy doesn't look like a super stud and the concept is downright creepy in a lot of ways. But let's put things in context. His original face was destroyed, as in blown off. The guy couldn't speak, nor eat or breathe on his own. With the surgery talk again and he can breathe on his own, eat soft foods and drink liquids on his own and at least gain some semblance of a normal life. He still has a long way to go for therapy and over time his muscle control should improve and if so some of that slack jawed look should go away. But even without that it's a success because the guy can at least regain a lot of semblance of his life back.

July 26, 2010 at 11:21 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Colette

clever.

July 26, 2010 at 11:22 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. kittyzena

His mouth is open because all the nerves still need to 're-learn' how to operate with the muscles. It's the same with people who have limbs severed and then re-attached. It's going to take months and months of therapy before he'll be able to control facial muscles. I agree with "ashamed"..give this poor guy a break! Better yet, thank whatever God(s) you believe in that you are lucky enough to be able to go out in public with the face you have, because considering some of the comments I've read; I don't think you could tolerate the alternative!

July 26, 2010 at 11:22 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Robert

Some people in this forum need more than a face transplant, they need a Brain transplant, only an IDIOT will make comments like: "What is that Thing" or "Why such a long face, buddy" or worse: "Wonderful.He's a handsom guy.Good luck". I hope you will never be in the same situation of that brave boy.

July 26, 2010 at 11:23 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Rob

People, where is your humanity? Pray that neither you or a loved one has to face such a challenge. My heart aches for this man. I will ask God to bless him in his recovery, and at the same time ask God to help you find grace and kindness.

July 26, 2010 at 11:23 | Report abuse | Reply
    • evoc

I second that.

July 26, 2010 at 11:50 | Report abuse |
  24. Anna

what an idiot you must be ! Do you even know what a face transplant is? Go hide yourself and read a book or something

July 26, 2010 at 11:23 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. sodoff you wanker

Where is the before picture?

July 26, 2010 at 11:26 | Report abuse | Reply
    • winedy Boss

look in th mirror

July 26, 2010 at 13:47 | Report abuse |
  26. jules

I cannot believe how many trolls, a**holes and would-be comedians have come out of the woodwork here to "comment." This is a human being whose life was destroyed. What if this were your son or father or YOU? Not so funny then, right?

July 26, 2010 at 11:26 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Drew Williams

Anonymity is the drug that gives too many people testes they would NEVER have among a crowd.

July 26, 2010 at 11:58 | Report abuse |
    • Beandog4144

The depth of human depravity knows no bounds. But the humanity of Oscar overshadows all the foolishness.

July 26, 2010 at 13:06 | Report abuse |
  27. Mike

When all is said and done, He looks good. One day many of the insecure stuck in the house kids that are scared to go out and have nothing better to do than to post comments here will be in a position of life or death decisions to save a loved one and will be tormented by the things they say, Making you Uglier then you say Oscar is. GOOD JOB .

July 26, 2010 at 11:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. Mark

Just the thought of the pain involved in recovery from full mouth reconstruction, and then, if that wasn't enough, having to learn all over again how to control everything so that you can eat and drink is beyond my comprehension. Be childish and make fun of the man, but he has gone through more than I would wish upon any human being. He's a stronger person than I will ever be.

July 26, 2010 at 11:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  29. None

I hope one day you are in the same situation and someone says that about you. Heartless, crass and undeserving.

July 26, 2010 at 11:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  30. Rob

What a complete jerk! I can't believe some of the comments I'm reading here. Some people have absolutely no compassion for someone who has had such a horrible ordeal. It's not even funny to make fun of this person. Just sick, sick, sick.

July 26, 2010 at 11:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  31. jayjay

Where is your brain?

July 26, 2010 at 11:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. Justin

This technology is still in its infancy. Unfortunately, this face transplant looks strange. The man ALMOST resembles Michael Jackson if you ask me. Not trying to be rude.

July 26, 2010 at 11:33 | Report abuse | Reply
  33. Fedg

At least this guy can go to the market and shop without any trouble.

July 26, 2010 at 11:34 | Report abuse | Reply
  34. Michelle

Only to narrow minded self absorbent people like you.

July 26, 2010 at 11:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. evoc

You might rethink that, if you literally had no face.

July 26, 2010 at 11:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. Greg

I think even more incredible than this individual, his experience and the medical science behind this is the range of responses above.....from the incredible assholes to the heartfelt responses. We, humans, are all over the map with respect to our capacity for both kindness and cruelty. We are mere elements in a petry dish -still very early in our evolution....we simply don't have our shit together. We truly only use one sense....vision, because we use that (as a majority) to judge and accept – or not – all that we behold.

July 26, 2010 at 11:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  37. Victoria

Wow, no wonder our world is so screwed up when people can joke around about something like this. I'm sure the ones who have commented in a jokingly manner look like models and have high paying jobs, right? Yeah, I didn't think so. You're the type of people that I hope my son never comes across and are the ones who were bullies in school cause you actually have no self-esteem and have to down others to make yourself feel good. As others have stated, I hope you never have to endure the pain this man has obviously gone through and I'm also sure that none of you have families of your own which is good cause I would hate to see that this kind of thing ever happened to your child or that you ever taught your child to laugh at people like this.

July 26, 2010 at 11:36 | Report abuse | Reply
    • evoc

More likely, those commenters are the ones who were bullied.

July 26, 2010 at 11:54 | Report abuse |
  38. Jim

Will he have to be on anti rejection drugs the rest of his live?

July 26, 2010 at 11:36 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Yar

July 26, 2010 at 11:52 | Report abuse |
    • anvenger206

also anti religion drugs, since God did this to him in the first place.

July 26, 2010 at 13:58 | Report abuse |
  39. Brad

I wasnt trying to be rude, I just wondered what he looked like before.

July 26, 2010 at 11:37 | Report abuse | Reply
  40. Diaz

poor guy. looks like hes crying

July 26, 2010 at 11:37 | Report abuse | Reply
    • carolyn

You ; sir are an idiot

July 26, 2010 at 16:50 | Report abuse |
  41. Jim

Will he have to be on anti rejection drugs the rest of his live???

July 26, 2010 at 11:38 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Yar

Yes. Most definitely.

July 26, 2010 at 11:52 | Report abuse |
  42. Carencey

That's a pretty impressive level of recovery and healing for only a few months! Hope he continues to progress well.

July 26, 2010 at 11:38 | Report abuse | Reply
  43. anonymous

To the snide comment people that have nothing good to say about this, gentleman. Give your head a shake. Who do you think you are! Just be greatful you are not in his shoe and have not gone through the many painful proceedures like he has. Maybe one day you will, and maybe it will damage your face and looks. Maybe someday people can laugh and comment on your looks. Or better yet win a Darwin Award for us for us! Now that would be poetice justice

To the gentleman that has had this procedure, and not knowing the story of his accident. Medically this unbelivable recontruction that has been accomplished. Congratualtions, on hopefully a full recovery from such a remarkable proceedure. I hope this brings confidence, strength and success in your new start on life.

July 26, 2010 at 11:38 | Report abuse | Reply
  44. Ryan

What a sad situation this poor guy has been put into. The doctors have done well, but will his new face take more of shape etc as he learns to use it, I wonder.

July 26, 2010 at 11:38 | Report abuse | Reply
  45. Marcus

If they posted a before pic, there would be less disrespectful comments. good job docs.

July 26, 2010 at 11:39 | Report abuse | Reply
    • David

Fewer, not less.

July 26, 2010 at 15:05 | Report abuse |
    • Sharon

Fewer, less... the words are the same. You have confused my little mind with your post, David.

July 26, 2010 at 16:22 | Report abuse |
  46. Caron

This man has incredible courage. He will need it, to withstand the comments of the cowards who will make fun of him.

July 26, 2010 at 11:40 | Report abuse | Reply
  47. magnus

Wow, this is a miracle. As technology and medicine improves, face transplantation will improve. For now, Oscar is a hero and i wish him the best.

July 26, 2010 at 11:40 | Report abuse | Reply
  48. Caron

No, clearly YOU need the brain transplant. He has courage that will no doubt withstand your cowardess.

July 26, 2010 at 11:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  49. Bubba

Man, they've got a long way to go with this.

July 26, 2010 at 11:42 | Report abuse | Reply
  50. Laura

So sad. Not just that he needs physical therapy but probably mental as well. Gotta be strong

July 26, 2010 at 11:43 | Report abuse | Reply
    • MrsFizzy

I read in an article about another transplant patient that psychological counseling was also part of the process to make sure that they really wanted it and were prepared for that side of the adjustment.

July 26, 2010 at 14:20 | Report abuse |