home
RSS
July 21st, 2010

Can vitamin B12 prevent mosquito-transmitted diseases?

From Peter Bartok, Houston, Texas

"Malaria is a major problem in the world. As a geologist I have done significant field work in malaria infested regions. Before doing work in Bolivia (several years ago) a doctor told me to take 1000 units of B12 three times a day. B12 exudes a mosquito repellent smell. During the six weeks I was there I was not bitten by mosquitoes. Can B12 prevent mosquito transmitted diseases? Thanks for being available."

Answer

Since mosquitoes are perhaps the most insidious disease-spreaders around, your question is important. Mosquitoes transmit parasites that cause malaria, a disease that kills between 1 million and 3 million people a year worldwide.

Before I answer your question, Peter, I would like to clarify one point. You asked whether vitamin B12 can prevent mosquito-transmitted diseases. What I think you are asking is whether B12 can repel mosquitoes and thus prevent transmission of the disease. This is an important distinction because, as you are probably aware, many mosquito-transmitted diseases like malaria and West Nile Virus are not necessarily preventable. The best we can hope for is stemming the number of people stung by these infected mosquitoes.

Now, to answer your question, the notion that ingesting certain products like B vitamins (or garlic, for that matter) might repel mosquitoes is common, but unfounded. Based on scientific studies I was able to dig up, B vitamins are not effective mosquito repellants, and vitamin B12, specifically, is not well-studied.

What scientists know more about is another B vitamin - B1 - also known as thiamine. As part of a larger survey of effective mosquito repellants, a 2002 study in the New England Journal of Medicine reported that, "No ingested compound, including garlic and thiamine (vitamin B1), has been found to be capable of repelling biting arthropods."

The same study concluded that DEET-containing products offer the best protection.  In addition to DEET, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends another product, Picaridin, and products containing oil of lemon eucalyptus. The CDC also recommends wearing long sleeves and pants while outdoors, and applying a repellent on your clothing.

1. Odalice Yolanda Feliz

Damn mosquitos, thank god for bug repellent! or vitamin B12 in ur case...

July 21, 2010 at 18:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. RAJ

My sister is adopted. She and her son attract mosquitoes for some reason. The family joke is that the only reason we invite them to out door events is to keep the mosquitoes away from us. I on the other hand am rarely the target of a mosquito. Has there been a study of the chemical differences between groups of people like myself and my sister? What is attracting the mosquito to my sister. My guess would be a chemical "scent" or sensing how close the blood is to the surface of the skin.

July 22, 2010 at 14:08 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Joe

Good question. I can be outside in a group of 30 people, and I'm the one swatting like a madman. I have no idea why mosquitoes like me so much; my family used to say "They know a good thing when they see it". Grrr.

August 17, 2010 at 13:36 | Report abuse |
  3. Stacie

Either way, I still have to get my monthly B-12 shot. Oral ingestion is out of the question for me because my digestive system does not absorb the vitamin. So shots it is... for the rest of my life.

RAJ – I'm thinking it is something along the lines of mosquitoes are attracted more to those whose blood vessels are closest to the surface.

July 22, 2010 at 18:12 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Nate

Stacie, my background is in medicinal chemistry. Here's a little tid bit for you to try if you hate the shots. The part of the gut that absorbs the B12 is very short and malabsorption is common, but overall absorption is somewhat concentration dependant. Since that's the case, try a daily dose of sublingual Vit B12 at a 5000mcg (5 thousand – not hundred) dose. This should get your B12 levels as high or higher than monthly B12 shots and is usually lots cheaper.

July 22, 2010 at 21:12 | Report abuse |
    • Rita Louise

I had given myself B12 shots for over 20 years and recently started taking liquid B vitamins sublingually and seem to be doing ok. Both my B12 levels and my iron are fine.

August 7, 2010 at 23:36 | Report abuse |
  4. jj

NPR had a story today about mosquitoes. They agreed that none of the folk remedies work, and that some people attract mosquitoes more than others. Up north, I used to be able to feel mosquitoes land or bite. But the Tiger mosquitoes they have down here bite with no sensation. And while they don't make me itch much, I'd rather avoid west nile...
    We live on a lake in Atlanta, and the mosquitoes are so thick down here we avoid going out. That, and the heat...

July 22, 2010 at 23:45 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Mo

Have been using B123 complex vitamins and brewers yeast tablets since the mid 70s – works on humans and dogs as well. Have made it thru some bad tick years as well as mosquito years. Just a hiint – it doesn't work immediatley – takes about a week for it to start working – was told "back in the day" by some country folk that it puts a nasty taste on your skin – I don't care about that, or the chemsitry end – IT WORKS!!!!!!!!

July 23, 2010 at 09:42 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Steven

I made a comment about this post that was courteous and professional. I disagreed with you but that doesn't seem a reason to censor me. Why was it removed??

August 5, 2010 at 04:36 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. EddyKong

Vitamin B12 deficiency symptoms are manifest not because people are taking less vitamin B12 than recommended. Deficiency of vitamin B12 affects every cell in the body, but is most severely felt in the tissues where the cells normally divide rapidly, as in the blood-forming -tissues of the bone marrow and in the gastro-intestinal tract. The deficiency can also lead to neurological changes such as numbness and tingling in the hands and feet. It also include mood disorders, anxiety, insomnia, restlessness, night terror etc.
    Reference:

November 11, 2010 at 08:12 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Bayard Carey

My girl friend and I have tickets to go to The British Virgin Islands.

She has now done some research and tells me that there is a dangerous outbreak of Dengue Fever in the Virgin Islands. Should we cancel our trip?

June 1, 2011 at 20:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Duane Patterson

For years I completed 50 to 100 mile back packing trips. Mostly in Yellowstone. We also took mega doses of b12 and mosquitoes stayed away. Note that once you start taking it, you do not want to shower until your trip is over or you will have a day that the mosquitoes come back for revenge.

June 13, 2015 at 21:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Duane Patterson

also we did start taking the B12 days before leaving on our trips. It does work.

June 13, 2015 at 21:31 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. sdorttuiiplmnr

Hello.This article was extremely fascinating, especially because I was searching for thoughts on this matter last Saturday.

June 27, 2015 at 03:23 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Danoj

Has anyone tried Fenugreek? I have it in tea and it leaves a strong smell on you skin for hours, think it should repel the mosquitoes in that it will disquise the smell on your skin that leads them to you in the first place.

September 14, 2016 at 07:14 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Dina Brookes

I had dengue fever in Fiji, now I take B6 tablets 100mg once a day in summer never get bitten by mozzies. Friends are all bitten but I can now have peace of mind. You need to take them 2 weeks before mozzie season.

January 14, 2019 at 02:59 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Michele

True or not, it works for me. I am in my 50s and have been a mosquito feeding station my entire life...until I started a B-complex.

I first started it in spring 2011 because I was going to be in a wedding and had a trip to a lake in Montana a few weeks before. I didn't want to show up to the wedding with mosquito bites all over me! Two weeks later I started noticing less and less bites. Within one month I stopped getting bite completely. It was awesome!

Last year I moved 3 times and life got hectic. I forgot about picking up extra B vitamins and I ended up with several bites one weekend. I started B complex the next day and have yet to receive another bite.....and I live on the lake now!

It's worth a try. It's not bad for you to take, and you can't really take too much as it is water soluble and you will pee out what you don't use. If it works? AWESOME! If it doesn't??? Well, I guess your pee is a little more valuable than it used to be.

Just sayin'......

April 8, 2019 at 22:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Linda Dillon

When I lived in Italy I found that I would always get bitten and those around me were saved, Two things helped me to deter them. 1. Drinking a tot of Zambuca ( or anything aniseed Anise Pernod etc) 2. Drinking a bottle of tonic water (but only the ones with quinine in. Lidl was good for that! Also I bought a mosquito attractant machine, which they would collect in and , have to say I really enjoyed mashing them up and flushing them away. The lemon candles etc were good to a degree but having the tot of aniseed I think was the most effective.

February 26, 2020 at 12:14 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Delmar Irving

I was just browsing for related blog posts for my project research and I happened to discover yours. Thanks for the useful information!

December 20, 2020 at 18:53 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Bobby Scouller

If you would like to improve your experience simply keep visiting this site and be updated with the most up-to-date gossip posted here.

January 3, 2021 at 22:38 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Toi Hugill

Thanks so much the information. I love sucking dick btw hmu

January 5, 2021 at 16:48 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Masako Kirgan

January 7, 2021 at 21:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Leonel Eickhoff

This is a really good blog. Thanks for the info.

January 12, 2021 at 01:42 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. ClarkTauts

rj7tn w1d87 coqp

February 28, 2021 at 14:51 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Nena Parady

You have brought up a very good points , thanks for the post.

March 4, 2021 at 10:02 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Jessika Muchler

March 6, 2021 at 13:51 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Steven "bannonwoodsvet.com" Tatum

To avoid insect bites, when you're outside, put on your shoes. Apply insect repellent to exposed skin – the most effective repellents contain 50 percent DEET (diethyltoluamide). Soaps, shampoos, and deodorants with heavy perfumes should be avoided because they attract insects.

March 25, 2021 at 08:23 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. Rhett Almestica

Mining crypto is hard. Investing in crypto is risky. Too many of us are left out of the cryptocurrency revolution. Pi makes crypto mining easy, our Breakthrough tech allows you to mine on your phone without draining your battery.

April 5, 2021 at 11:28 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. Emeryfed

"I was more than happy to discover this website. I want to to thank you for ones time just for this fantastic read!! I definitely loved every bit of it and I have you book-marked to check out new things on your website."
    נערות ליווי בקיסריה
    345545321

April 7, 2021 at 16:58 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. Daria Prawl

After looking into a few of the blog posts on your site, I really like your way of writing a blog. I bookmarked it to my bookmark webpage list and will be checking back soon. Please visit my website too and tell me how you feel.

May 17, 2021 at 22:49 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. trực tiếp bóng đá barca

Trực Tiếp Bóng Đábóng đá onlineCó thể nói, binhluan.vn có hình ảnh và hóa học lượng cực kỳ chi là mượt mà luôn luôn. Bất cứ ai đã từng xem bong da bên trên link bóng đá thẳng của keonhacai1.tv thì nên thừa nhận một điều coi cực kỳ đã. Nên cứ có mỗi trận đấu vào bất cứ giải đấu nào thì lượng người coi truy cập vào keonhacai1 vô cùng lớn. Thông tin lịch thi đấu.

May 29, 2021 at 01:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  29. xem trực tiếp bongs đá

Kênh Xem Trực Tiếp Bóng Đá Các Mua Giảixem bongda tructiepcũng có thể nói, binhluan.vn có hình ảnh và hóa học lượng cực kỳ chi là mượt mà luôn. Bất cứ ai đã từng coi bong da trên liên kết đá bóng trực tiếp của keonhacai1.tv thì phải công nhận một điều coi vô cùng đã. Nên cứ có từng trận đấu vào bất kể giải đấu nà thì lượng người xem truy cập vào keonhacai1 cực kì rộng lớn. Thông tin lịch tranh tài.

May 29, 2021 at 18:57 | Report abuse | Reply
  30. truc tiep bong da hôm nay u22

Kênh Thẳng Bóng Đá Thời Điểm Hôm Naybxh premier leagueTrên băng ghế huấn luyện, Lebanon đã bửa nhiệm Ramiro Lopez cơ hội đây 3 tuần. Nhà cầm cố quân nhân viên Tây Ban Nha công ty yếu thực hiện việc trên Ý và từng có thời hạn làm việc trên Kuwait.|Và NHM bóng đá Việt Nam đang chờ Minh Trí cùng đồng đội hóa giải đối thủ để tạo lợi thế cho trận lượt về tại đây hai ngày. Chelsea đã nên trải qua 8 phút bù giờ nghẹt thở bảo vệ chiến thắng.

June 10, 2021 at 21:36 | Report abuse | Reply
  31. xôi lạc tv

Trực Tiếp Soccer Việt Nam Vs Lebanon. Coi Truc Tiep Bong Da. Futsal Việt Nammyk+Trên băng ghế đào tạo, Lebanon đã bổ nhiệm Ramiro Lopez cơ hội đây 3 tuần. Nhà cầm quân người Tây Ban Nha công ty yếu đuối làm việc trên Ý và từng có thời hạn thực hiện việc tại Kuwait.|Và NHM bóng đá Việt Nam đang hóng Minh Trí cùng đồng đội hóa giải đối thủ để tạo lợi thế cho trận lượt về sau đây hai ngày. Chelsea đã nên trải qua 8 phút bù giờ nghẹt thở bảo đảm an toàn thành công.

June 11, 2021 at 10:01 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. bxh thai league

Trực Tiếp Soccer Việt Nam Vs Lebanon. Coi Truc Tiep Bong Da. Futsal Việt Namxem truc tiep kenh thvl1Trên băng ghế giảng dạy, Lebanon đã bổ nhiệm Ramiro Lopez cơ hội đây 3 tuần. Nhà cầm quân người Tây Ban Nha nhà yếu ớt làm việc trên Ý và từng có thời hạn làm việc trên Kuwait.|Và NHM bóng đá Việt Nam đang được hóng Minh Trí cùng đồng đội hóa giải đối thủ để tạo lợi thế mang đến trận lượt về sau đây hai ngày. Chelsea đã phải trải qua 8 phút bù giờ nghẹt thở bảo vệ thành công.

June 11, 2021 at 20:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  33. hn24h

Thẳng Bóng Đá Ngày Hôm Nay, Link Xem Trực Tuyến Video Clip Tình Huốngvào rồiTrên băng ghế huấn luyện, Lebanon đã xẻ nhiệm Ramiro Lopez cơ hội đây 3 tuần. Nhà cầm quân nhân viên Tây Ban Nha nhà yếu làm việc tại Ý và từng có thời hạn thực hiện việc tại Kuwait.|Và NHM bóng đá Việt Nam đang được chờ Minh Trí cùng đồng đội hóa giải đối thủ để tạo lợi thế đến trận lượt về sau đây hai ngày. Chelsea đã phải trải qua 8 phút bù giờ khó thở bảo vệ chiến thắng.

June 12, 2021 at 11:49 | Report abuse | Reply
  34. burnley đấu với man utd

Thẳng Soccer Việt Nam Vs Lebanon. Coi Truc Tiep Bong Da. Futsal Việt Nambảng xếp hạng u18 đông nam áXem đá bóng trực tuyến Trực tiếp Odd BK vs Sarpsborg, 20h ngày 24/5, giải VĐQG Na Uy. Xem lịch vạc sóng trực tiếp soccer EURO hôm nay được Webthethao update chủ yếu xác nhất.

June 15, 2021 at 04:34 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. todaytv online truc tuyen

Xoilac Tv Trực Tiếp đá Bónglogo k+Nếu cứ đùa như cơ hội vừa tiêu diệt Everton tới 3-1 trên sân khách hàng

June 18, 2021 at 02:17 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. ku casino

Xoilac Tv Thẳng Bóng Đá dangky.tluĐội tuyển nước ta chỉ cần một kết quả hòa có bàn thắng để lần loại hai góp mặt tại World Cup futsal. Nhưng, nhằm thực hiện được điều đó

June 18, 2021 at 18:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  37. dang ky thong tin cf

Tin Mới Nhất Nhất đá Bóng Vào Vòng 24h, Gửi Nhượng, Kết Trái, ..các kiểu chơi bài trong casinoLiverpool là ĐộI bóng nhận ít thẻ nhất ở Premier League mùa này và đang được đứng trước thời cơ đạt giải thưởng Fair Play ở mùa giải thứ 5 tiếp tục. Sau Khi thăng hạng 96 toàn cầu, ĐộI tuyển chọn nước ta đã lọt nhóm phân tử tương đương số 2 vòng chủng loại World Cup 2022 quần thể vực châu Á.

June 19, 2021 at 19:17 | Report abuse | Reply
  38. bet188

Xoilac Tv Thẳng đá Bóng k+1 online hdĐội tuyển chọn futsal nước Việt Nam đã có được một trận đấu chấp nhận được trước đối thủ cạnh tranh đầy sức mạnh Lebanon. Kết trái Bà Rịa-Vũng Tàu vs Bình Phước thời điểm hôm nay 18h00 ngày 5/5, Hạng nhất Việt Nam.

June 20, 2021 at 12:00 | Report abuse | Reply
  39. cf.go.vn/casino royal

Thể Thao 247ku.casinoLiverpool là ĐộI bóng nhận ít thẻ nhất ở Premier League mùa này và đang được đứng trước cơ hội đạt giải thưởng Fair Play ở mùa giải thứ 5 liên tục. Sau lúc thăng hạng 96 trái đất, ĐộI tuyển nước Việt Nam đã lọt group phân tử giống số 2 vòng loại World Cup 2022 khu vực châu Á.

June 22, 2021 at 09:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  40. trực tiếp tennis hôm nay

Trực Tiếp Soccer Việt Nam Vs Lebanon. Xem Truc Tiep Bong Da. Futsal Việt Namcakhia tvNếu cứ chơi như cơ hội vừa tiêu diệt Everton cho tới 3-1 trên sân quý khách hàng

June 25, 2021 at 06:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  41. truc tiep htv 7

Trực Tiếp Soccer Thời Điểm Hôm Nay, Link Xem Soccer Trực Tuyến 24h tải ku casinoĐội tuyển chọn futsal Việt Nam đã có được một trận đấu chấp nhận được trước đối thủ cạnh tranh đầy sức mạnh Lebanon. Kết quả Bà Rịa-Vũng Tàu vs Bình Phước hôm nay 18h00 ngày 5/5, Hạng nhất Việt Nam.

June 26, 2021 at 13:34 | Report abuse | Reply
  42. bwin casino

Kèo Bóng Đá Là Gì? Giải Thích Tỷ Lệ Cá Cược Bóng Đá Chi Tiết NhấtBiến Động Tỷ Lệ Kèo Nhà Cái Thụy Điển Vs Ba Lan Hôm Nay 23 trang bóng 88Hai trận đấu của lượt cuối mỗi bảng bắt buộc phải thi đấu cùng giờ. Kết thúc vòng bảng, đội nhất, nhì các bảng và 4 đội xếp thứ ba có thành tích tốt nhất sẽ giành quyền vào vòng sixteen đội.

June 28, 2021 at 08:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  43. xoac tv

Xoilac Tv Trực Tiếp Bóng Đáxem tivi truc tuyen htv2Xem đá bóng trực tuyến Trực tiếp Odd BK vs Sarpsborg, 20h ngày 24/5, giải VĐQG Na Uy. Xem lịch phạt sóng thẳng bóng đá EURO hôm nay được Webthethao cập nhật chủ yếu xác nhất.

June 29, 2021 at 05:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  44. kênh k+

Xoilac Tv Thẳng Soccertruc tiep bong da hôm nay u22Nếu cứ chơi như cơ hội vừa đè bẹp Everton tới 3-1 bên trên sân quý khách hàng

June 29, 2021 at 10:57 | Report abuse | Reply
  45. bang xep hang laliga

Trực Tiếp đá Bóng Thời Điểm Hôm Nayvtc3 onlineNếu cứ chơi như cơ hội vừa đè bẹp Everton tới 3-1 bên trên sảnh khách

June 29, 2021 at 16:02 | Report abuse | Reply
  46. ku.ku777

Xoilac Tv Thẳng Bóng Đá 1m88Đội tuyển chọn futsal nước Việt Nam đã có một trận đấu đồng ý được trước đối thủ cạnh tranh đầy sức mạnh Lebanon. Kết quả Bà Rịa-Vũng Tàu vs Bình Phước thời điểm hôm nay 18h00 ngày 5/5, Hạng nhất nước ta.

June 30, 2021 at 04:38 | Report abuse | Reply
  47. kèo nhà cái chấm com

Thẳng đá Bóng Ngày Hôm Nay, Link Xem đá Bóng Trực Tuyến 24h kèo nhà cáiĐội tuyển chọn Việt Nam chỉ cần một kết quả hòa có bàn thắng nhằm lần loại hai góp mặt trên World Cup futsal. Nhưng, để làm được như vậy

June 30, 2021 at 05:44 | Report abuse | Reply
  48. lich copa america 2019

Xoilac Tv Trực Tiếp Soccervn.7mXem đá bóng trực tuyến Trực tiếp Odd BK vs Sarpsborg, 20h ngày 24/5, giải VĐQG Na Uy. Xem lịch phát sóng trực tiếp soccer EURO hôm nay được Webthethao update chính xác nhất.

June 30, 2021 at 09:43 | Report abuse | Reply