home
RSS
July 7th, 2010

Diet cola drains calcium in women

They may contain zero calories, no sugar and provide an energy boost, but diet soda could drain calcium and phosphorous from your body, according to a preliminary study presented at a medical convention.

A small study from the Walter Reed Army Medical Center reported that healthy women who drank diet cola excrete more calcium and phosphorous than non-cola drinkers.

The findings were presented by Dr. Noelle Larson in a presentation at the annual meeting of the Endocrine Society in June and focused only on diet soda.  She focused on diet cola mainly because of her own informal observations that young women tend to drink large amounts of diet cola.

In the study, 20 health women were randomized to drink 24 ounces of water or diet cola on two days.  Their urine was collected up to three hours later.

Those who drank diet cola excreted more calcium and phosphorous than the control group. The mean calcium excretion three hours after drinking cola was 6.85 milligrams higher than after drinking water. Mean phosphorous excretion was 41 milligrams higher in the cola group than the control group, according to the abstract.  Calcium and phosphorus are both important nutrients that work together to build strong bones and teeth.

Previous studies have reported that cola drinkers (both diet AND regular soda) have lower bone mineral density and increased fracture rate compared to non-cola drinkers.

“Our study suggests that diet cola ingestion may result in a negative calcium balance acutely in young, otherwise healthy women,” wrote Larson and her colleagues in the abstract.  “This may help explain the clinically observed decrease in [bone mineral density] and increased fracture rate in women who consume these drinks regularly.”

1. Pharma212

Hello! ecdefee interesting ecdefee site! I'm really like it! Very, very ecdefee good!

November 10, 2012 at 18:15 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Pharme610

Very nice site!

November 10, 2012 at 18:15 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Pharmd330

Hello! keebdcf interesting keebdcf site! I'm really like it! Very, very keebdcf good!

November 10, 2012 at 18:16 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Carlee Manhardt

Yesterday I woke up feeling quite tired. I Actually have had trouble sleeping for the past few night (no worries, I made up for it last night once I was in bed by 9am and slept like a baby). I had a pep in my step though because I was led to my internship. I really don't write a lot about it, because I am not comfortable really sharing what I do there since I'm working with High School kids and I like to maintain a little solitude about where I work and that I am working with. I am so appreciative of your respect and comprehension of that. What I will say is that I'm completely loving it. My internship has shown to me that this really is the absolute right profession for me to maintain. Each morning when I walk to school, I think to myself,"I can't want until I graduate in May and then have this is my life everyday!" . Hopefully that is, if I get a counseling job straight out of college. There are minimal jobs available at the beginning of each school year. I'm hopeful. I'll cross that bridge once I arrive at it. http://jtayl.me/4nvkt

December 29, 2020 at 07:32 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. headroom

Hеllo there I am so ⅾelighted І found your site, I really found you by
    mistake, while I was browsing on Aol for something else, Regardless I
    am here now and would just ⅼike to say cheers for a
    incredible post and a alⅼ round intereѕting blog
    (I also love the theme/design), I don't have time to browse it all at the minute but I һave
    book-marked it and also added your RSS feeds, so
    when I have time I ᴡіll be back to read a ⅼot more, Please Ԁo keep up the fantastic job.

March 13, 2021 at 00:49 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. private car services

I used to be suggested this web site through my cousin. I
    am not certain whether or not this submit is written by him as nobody else recognize such
    specified about my difficulty. You are incredible!
    Thanks!

My web-site; private car services

April 16, 2021 at 20:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Torsten

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I truly appreciate your efforts and I will be waiting for your further post thank you once again.

April 29, 2021 at 08:09 | Report abuse | Reply