home
RSS
June 16th, 2010

Millions more lacking health insurance in 2009

By Ann J. Curley
CNN Medical Assignment Manager

The latest data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention show that 46.3 million people in the United States of all ages — that’s 15.4 percent of survey participants — lacked health insurance in 2009 at the time of their interview. That’s 2.5 million more without insurance compared with the 43.8 million participants who indicated they lacked health insurance in 2008.

However, the CDC reports the  percentage of children who were uninsured for at least part of the year has decreased from 18.1 percent in 1997 to 12.8 percent in 2009. The rate was 13.3 percent in 2008. The percentage of kids without health insurance for at least part of the year has remained fairly stable, ranging from 12.6 percent to 13.3 percent since 2004.

Highlights from the 2009 NHIS include:

More adults lacked health insurance in 2009; 21.1 percent compared with 19.7 percent in 2008.

At the time of the interview, 58.5 million (19.4 percent) had been uninsured for at least part of the year before the interview. 32.8 million (10.9 percent) had been uninsured for more than a year at the time of the interview.

In 2009, the percentage of uninsured under age 65 was 46 million (17.5 percent), for people aged 18 to 64 was 40 million (21.1 percent, and 6.1 million children under age 18 (8.2 percent) were uninsured.

– When comparing uninsured rates for the 20 largest U.S. states, the percentage of uninsured spanned from 3.7 percent in Massachusetts to 24.6 percent in Texas.

The CDC has conducted the National Health Interview Survey since 1957.

The full report is available on the CDC website here.

Editor's note: Medical news is a popular but sensitive subject rooted in science. We receive many comments on this blog each day; not all are posted. Our hope is that much will be learned from the sharing of useful information and personal experiences based on the medical and health topics of the blog. We encourage you to focus your comments on those medical and health topics and we appreciate your input. Thank you for your participation.

1. Pierre Ubalijoro

In Rwanda every inhabitant has access to universal healthcare, why can't it be the same for our citizens in the USA. This piece that recently appeared in the New York Times should be food for thought for our society, we live in the richest country in the world, access to universal healthcare is a fundamental human right. Wherever there is a will, there is a way, lets make it happen for the have the nots as well, we will be saving our own lives :

June 16, 2010 at 17:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. bridget a wills

my husband always had employee medical benefits thru his employer for medical benefits for him and for me. when i was injured involving workers comp.injury in july 1997 the employer and insurance company administerator of the employee medical benefits breached our contract because of my workers com,injury,medical was denied. workers comp refused to pay any benefits to me, we cashed in all our life insurance that we had for years and took out a second mortgate on our home.collection lawyers filed a law suit against me for my medical bills froze my husbands checking account for over $7,000.00 . my husband turned 73 yrs old in march and i turned 66 last july 2009 we have been married 43 years raised a family and pay tax's owned our own home and thought we would have golden years when we got older, we never thought that the insurance companys could breach employee benefits medical contracts because other insurance was responsible for my workers comp.injurys. retaliation came from my complaints under the labor law discrimination retaliation and caused further personal injury.

June 17, 2010 at 01:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. HealthInsurNow!

Health insurance is just too expensive. We need to do something about that. I say tax soda, candy, gum, ice cream, white bread, sugary cereal, anything contained transfat, fast food, etc. at a higher rate and use that money to insure the entire country. Problem solved.

If McDonalds' owners don't like it, too bad.

Let's just get everyone insured. We can come up with the money, just like we can pay for anything else that we PRIORITIZE. So everyone should stop bashing Obama and realize he's actually trying to solve the problem.

June 17, 2010 at 09:42 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Bob DeMarco

It really is a matter of priorities. Obviously the Baby Boomer generation largely ignored this problem and now they are likely to pay a price for this short sightedness.

On the other hand, it appears the current crop of teenagers are likely to have a very different point of view when it comes to the issue of healthcare as a priority.

Bob DeMarco
    Alzheimer's Reading Room

June 17, 2010 at 11:17 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Adon

Very much thank you for your article of health insurance. Your article is very much affected me also and i want to share my opinion with you . Once again many many thanks.........
    ביטוח

October 11, 2010 at 10:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Breakfast Nook

as mentioned, health insurance is very very important that is why it is always advisable to get yourself one,~:

October 19, 2010 at 04:16 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Surge Supressors :

of course health insurance is very much essential for your own sake';~

October 28, 2010 at 07:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. James Smith

Thanks for sharing such a valuable information regarding health insurance.It is everyone duty to get insure.

November 26, 2010 at 04:39 | Report abuse | Reply
    • jamessmith

Thanks for giving advice regarding health insurance.Health is wealth as we all know,so get insure.

November 26, 2010 at 04:45 | Report abuse |
  9. bridget a wills

My husband & I are & will be FOR EVER GRATEFUL TO OUR PRESIDENT OBAMA & JUSTICE ROBERTS for putting AMERICAN PEOPLE FIRST IN THEIR DECISION TO PASS THE HEALTH CARE FOR ALL AMERICANS .My husband's employee Medical Contracts were breached after my NY State Workers Comp.Injurys.Medical was DENIED. I went without a primary Care Physician from Sept.2005 to March 2010. My husband's employer continued premiums deductions from his pay checks for the medical contracts for him and myself that they breached on & denied the medical care.BECAUSE( WORKERS COMP CARRIER ) other insurance was LIABLE.I received Social Security Disability( SSD) after WCB69709892 to me on 7/1997.I had Medicare Part-A & B. Medicare refused to pay for Preventative care because they were NOT Primary. Our Private Insurance ( my husbands HMO thru his employer)would not pay for preventative care for me because of my workers comp.injurys. Excellus BCBS cancelled my GYN doctor in the network An Advocacy Health Group in PA. approved a PCP
    for me in 3/2010 by then I had developed STAGE 3 ovarian cancer & had major surgery.I was denied long term care insurance, My husbands employer cancelled my life insurance I had to go to Emergency Rooms when I got sick No follow up care. NOW WE THANK YOUR PRESIDENT OBAMA & JUSTICE ROBERTS FOR THINKING ABOUT THE AMERICAN PEOPLE .WE WILL BE FOREVER GRATEFUL TO BOTH OF THEM,BECAUSE FOR THE FIRST TIME IN YEARS WE HAVE HOPE NOW and dont have to battle insurance companys that cleaned our our golden years of savings etc. From William & Bridget Wills,Liverpool, NY.

July 3, 2012 at 13:52 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. health insurance with

A fascinating discussion is definitely worth comment. I believe that you should write more on this subject matter, it may not be a taboo subject but generally folks don't discuss these subjects. To the next! Best wishes!!

January 10, 2013 at 01:07 | Report abuse | Reply