home
RSS
June 11th, 2010

FDA panel urges OK of first oral MS drug

By Georgiann Caruso
CNN Medical Associate Producer

An FDA advisory committee on Thursday recommended approval of the first oral treatment for relapsing forms of multiple sclerosis.

The decision paves the way for final FDA approval of  FTY720 or fingolimod before the end of September as a first-line choice for the treatment of relapsing forms of multiple sclerosis.

The drug would complement other long-term therapies on the market, all which aim to modify the course of the chronic neurological disease, and all which involve a needle or injection.  Fingolimod reduces the relapse rate by about half, according to studies early this year in the New England Journal of Medicine.

Fingolimod is taken in capsule form once a day, and if further trials are successful, its use could be extended to people with the primary progressive form of the disease.

In multiple sclerosis, the nerve cells’ protective outer lining becomes damaged, disrupting signals that control muscles.  The cause is unknown, but it’s believed to be an autoimmune disease, which means the patient’s own immune system turns on itself.  This new drug works by preventing the release of white blood cells, so the nerve linings can’t be attacked.  Unfortunately, that can leave the body vulnerable to infection and cancer.

Two studies published in the New England Journal of Medicine in February point out that some serious side effects have been linked to this new MS drug.  One study cited concerns including  infections, cardiovascular effects,  swelling of the retina and elevated liver-enzyme levels.  The other study noted slow heart rate, retinal swelling, infections, and possibly cancers.  An editorial in the same journal pointed out that the rate of herpes infections among patients receiving the 1.25-mg dose of the drug was 5.5 percent; two patients died.

"The risk of infections of any kind is the main side effect we worry about with this drug," says Dr. Loren Rolak, an MS expert from the Marshfield Clinic in Wisconsin and a spokesman for the National MS Society.

But Rolak, who was not involved in the development of the drug, tells CNN he’s still excited about the prospect of this new drug being approved.  “At last, we can treat a whole lot of MS people that we've not been able to treat before."

For people with a phobia of needles, people who don't respond to the current treatments, those who are just plain tired of needle sticks or people who cannot handle the side effects of the existing drugs, including flu-like symptoms or bruising, fingolimod would provide another choice.  Rolak said new patients may be very interested in fingolimod because they’re taking a pill, rather than giving themselves an injection and because overall he says the drug “does seem to be safe and well-tolerated.”

"It's really going to be different for each individual patient. I certainly do have patients being treated with one of our current drugs. They are doing very well, and because it's clearly working for them, I plan not to switch them," he said.

The FDA advisory panel did recommend that if the FDA does approve fingolimod, it should also require “a post-marketing study that would proactively gather information about adverse events and longer-term safety.”

1. Jeff L.A

WHOOO -HOOO!!!! This sounds fantastic. Hopefully this will work, and help people avoid those needles sticks. As a person diagnosed with MS this great positive news, and shows true progress!!!!!

June 11, 2010 at 16:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Anil Neelakantan

That's awesome. This has the potential to help a lot of patients with RR MS. However, only time would tell if there are any long term effects or ADRs that either did not show up/happens more frequently than in the clinical trials. I would be following this closely for sure. If it turns out to be successful long term, this would be a major milestone in the management of MS. Hope they test it for PP-MS and SP-MS and RP/PR-MS as well. Hope that bradycardia and macular edema, elevated LFTs, opportunistic infections /overwhelming sepsis and HTN would be rare in the general population. Fingers crossed. kudos to novartis.

June 11, 2010 at 16:17 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. casey

Cannabis helps with MS. Why don't they let the FDA test that out? Oh thats right, becuase the DEA classifies cannabis as a more dangeous drug then cocaine and herion so they won't even let the FDA test it. WAY TO IGNORE COMMON SENSE!!!!

June 11, 2010 at 16:20 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Marcus

Is there anyway that these treatments are getting to people who are incarcerated?and do they have good care in the institutions?

June 11, 2010 at 16:20 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. dave

anything for secondary progressive forms of MS????

June 11, 2010 at 16:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Bones123

Congratulations to Novartis. This is a giant leap in therapy for the MS population.

June 11, 2010 at 16:28 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. MRI Tech

I work as an MRI Tech in a large hospital setting. I see new cases of MS daily . Several months ago I scanned a brilliant gentleman who informed me that he had been working in a research facility in the Netherlands. The main subject of his study? Multiple Sclerosis. He said there is a breakthrough with strawberries. Yep, strawberries. He was so excited to share this with me. He said that those suffering from active outbreaks should eat 1 pound of strawberries daily. It will not cure MS but it will arrest the advancement.

June 11, 2010 at 16:28 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. jeff

Finally! I'm tired of weekly injections and side effects.This drug may help me and my demylenized brothers and sisters who carry the burden of M.S.
    Thank you!
    An old fool from the old school

June 11, 2010 at 16:33 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Spouse of a MS sufferer

At first glance of the headline, I thought "Wow! Its about time!"

Then I read the article.

I completely agree that MS patients need more alternatives than those currently available. Most current MS drugs have an efficacy rate of roughly 30%, they cost a fortune and don't reverse any of the effects of the disease.

But a drug that "prevents the release of white blood cells" is not the answer. Imagine being the neurologist explaining this scenario:

"I'm pleased to inform you that the progression of your wife's MS has been halted Mr. Smith, thanks in no small part to the spiffy new Gilenia pill I put her on. Unfortunately, your wife is dying anyway due to the fact that her body couldn't fight off the common cold Oh, an she has gangreen in her hand from a small cut she received while chopping vegetables."

Okay, that was a bit overdramatic, but you get the point. If this is the best they have, it isn't nearly good enough.

Go back to the lab. Do better. 400,000 and counting Americans alone are counting on you.

June 11, 2010 at 16:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Anthony

..or MS patients can treat their illness in a extremely effective, completely natural, and completely non-toxic way.

Cannabis.

June 11, 2010 at 16:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Mike T.X.

Appears to be a good first step, BUT the heightened cancer risk is of great concern to me. Even though my current weekly shot sucks and the side effects suck, I feel safe with Avonex. Time will tell, whether this new treatment method will become a proven solution.

June 11, 2010 at 17:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. =D

This is awesome. I know 2 people with MS. One of them actually is having shock therapy, which he says is helping a lot. We all need to keep up the donating, not just for MS but for every disease out there. We CAN make a difference!

June 11, 2010 at 17:33 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. OpenYourOjos

I'll trade ya. MS for cancer. Give me a break.

June 11, 2010 at 17:37 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. beth

heard that from a good frien from Jamaica that cannabis is the way to go and that it kept eveyone healthy out there!

June 11, 2010 at 17:44 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Amanda

I'm happy that a new drug has come down the pipeline. My father died two years ago after suffering from primary progressive MS for 16 years.

As a child, I vividly remember the anxiety, dread, and side effects associated with his weekly Avonex injections. This is a definitely a step in the direction of progress.

June 11, 2010 at 17:49 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. ErinLindsey

Infections, swelling of the retina and possible cancer? Umm...no thank you. I'll continue going without being on a treatment. (unless I can find someone to Rx Low Dose Naltrexone to me.)

A recent article in a UK paper (magazine?) raised questions about the efficacy of the injectible drugs. http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/ms-drug-trial-a-fiasco-ndash-and-nhs-paid-for-it-1991104.html

According to the article, the injectibles are worthless. Makes me glad that I quit Copaxone last summer.

June 11, 2010 at 18:00 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Faye

I hate doing shots every other day and the feeling I have afterwards but I trust that it is keeping me from having a relapse. I've been relapse free for 3 years and there are no lesions from my last MRI which made my neuro question whether I have MS or not. Bottomline, the drug I'm taking works. However, I am hopeful for an oral drug. I'm scared of the side effects discussed on the article. It would be a long time before I switch. Please keep up the work for those of us suffering on this debilitating disease.

June 11, 2010 at 18:02 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. MDW

I was unable to take any of the approved drugs due to reactions or intolerable side effects. Hopefully, we are on the right track.

June 11, 2010 at 18:07 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. doug

I think this drug in conjuction with the HIVAMAT Therapy which I am receiving will keep the fluid moving within my system and keep the protien at bay.

June 11, 2010 at 18:16 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. MS Social Worker

Attended the Consortium of Multiple Sclerosis Centers Conference last week. Drug seems to have really mixed reviews. My opinion is more options are better than fewer.

MS professionals have a great deal of passion for what we do. For those who have MS and their families: We're here to help you through it. Make sure to get connected to the many resources out there. A decent place to start is the National MS Society http://www.nationalmssociety.org
    If you are a Veteran please visit http://www.va.gov/ms

June 11, 2010 at 18:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Jerry

Isn't it amazing how many potheads comment about the supposed "wonderful benefits of marijuana" and cry about its illegality in almost every medical article comment section?

Guess what, idiots, the Government spent 30 years and tens of millions of dollars testing pot on a whole variety of illnesses and discovered what all of us who have actually grown up already know; it's useless. It has less effect on most pain than 2 Tylenol tablets and actually CAUSES nausea instead of preventing it.

Yes, I smoked a lot of it in my youth but then I grew up and quit. I suffer from chronic and often severe pain but I know smokin' a doobie would help it about as much as listening to a Black Sabbath 8-track tape in my Quadrophonic deck would; i.e., not at all and would probably just add a headache to my other problems.

Grow up and get over it, ignorant potheads!

June 11, 2010 at 19:18 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. James

I notice that they don't mention that Novartis developed this drug after investing 100's of millions of dollars into it's development. I guess the media only mentions pharma companies by name when it suits their anti-pharma agenda.

June 11, 2010 at 19:20 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Jack

You've got to be joking! The side effects – especially the cancer- are certainly NOT a solution!

June 11, 2010 at 19:44 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. joan

Actually this pill may not have a large market due to CCSVI treatment. And if you have MS and don't know about CCSVI – go to CCSVI on facebook or thisisms.com

Some people that had MS and were in wheelchairs are walking again.

CCSVI will put a major dent in the drug companies that market MS drugs.

June 11, 2010 at 20:00 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Karen

Hello Joan – I was wondering how do you go about finding a doctor that will help you with the treatment of CCSVI. I live in CO and will travel to the ends of the earth. Thanks for your help.

July 13, 2010 at 15:26 | Report abuse |
  25. Sue

Wow this I have been waiting for about 25 years. It is better than a needle. Why has it taken this long. I am hoping it gets approved fast. This is definitly a step forward in ms drugs.

June 11, 2010 at 20:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. sally brandt

7 out of 10 people that have MS actually have lyme disease. Those with MS should find a lyme literate doctor and get tested for lyme at a viable lab such as Igenex Lab. Same goes for lupus, als, and parkinsons. These are all immune diseases with no known cause and many times are lyme infections.

June 11, 2010 at 20:14 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. Johnsonnjohnson

So there is a new "cure all?" But the cure all makes you more sick due to the inability to fight off the cold? I heard that motrin makes you die now too....This world and our quest to live forever is depressing. Keep fighting but don't trade a death by MS for a death by the common cold, IMHO.

June 11, 2010 at 20:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. Sam

I am always skeptical of so-called "medical breakthroughs", but WOW. I just looked at the phase 3 clinical trial data. This is such great news for MS patients. I don't think I've ever seen an MS drug that lowers the frequency of relapse by an order of magnitude like this one. It's still not addressing the cause of the disease, but this is great for MS sufferers nonetheless.

casey – Note that this drug is an antagonist for cannabinoid receptors so that doesn't lend credence to your theory. Have they actually done studies with MS and cannabis?

dave – more than likely, this will be effective for most subtypes of MS. The FDA is always highly specific because they don't want to generalize the results if a certain subtype has not been studied.

Also, for all of the posters spouting anecdotal cures, please just stop. Or more importantly, I hope no one else takes you seriously.

June 11, 2010 at 20:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  29. Sam

Also, spouse of an MS sufferer... that is massively over dramatic. I hope the people concerned about cancer and infection get over it. You'd be worse off smoking a cigarette everyday. That's infinitely more dangerous.

June 11, 2010 at 20:40 | Report abuse | Reply
  30. Payson

This is great news. My mother has MS, and my father used to give her the MS drug injection. Unfortunately my dad has ongoing dementia issues and can no longer safely give the injection to my mom. A family friend has since taken over the duties of injecting her medicine, but this new oral drug will make everyone's life a whole lot easier. I'm glad the oral version may finally hit the market.

June 11, 2010 at 20:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  31. Clara

To Amanda: I feel your pain! My mother has had secondary progressive for the past 15 years and I've grown up with this... She used to take Avonex, Beta Seron and one that starts with a C... none of them did anything for her, in fact Avonex made her far worse! This drug sounds great, except for the whole white blood cell thing...

And for those of you touting marijuana as the "cure all" for MS get a clue! It may sooth the pain (if the sufferer has any) and calm the nerves, but does it bring back their ability to walk? To remember? Does it return their vision?

Though the study involving strawberries sounds very interesting! Though last year it was blueberries. 😛

June 11, 2010 at 20:57 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. Bob

Drug companies have us all thinking that a pill will take care of everything. This Italian Doctor took a different approach and has cured people, including his wife with a simple procedure.

June 11, 2010 at 21:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  33. yeah yeah

Get your facts straight. There ALREADY
    is an oral drug for MS. It's called Ampyra
    to improve walking.

Do some Research next time

June 11, 2010 at 21:13 | Report abuse | Reply
    • KJG

This new drug, which I'm on, is a disease modifying therapy, which is totally different from a drug that addresses one symptom of the disease, such as difficulty walking. Fingolimod is supposed to reduce the number of relapses a person has and slow the progression of the disease. There are many, many symptoms related to MS, such as blindness, severe fatigue, numbness, spasticilty, etc., that have nothing to do with walking. The drug you mention is a wonderful advance, but it is not at all the same kind of drug. Do your own eresearch before yelling at others.

July 9, 2010 at 01:51 | Report abuse |
    • Missy

The "FACT" is that is that Ampryra is NOT an MS treatment. Here is the FACTS on Ampyra: What is Ampyra?
      Ampyra (dalfampridine) is a potassium channel blocker.Ampyra is used to improve walking in patients with multiple sclerosis (MS). Dalfampridine produced an increase in walking speed in clinical trials.
      Read more: http://www.drugs.com/ampyra.html#ixzz0tmJoj2tM

July 15, 2010 at 14:50 | Report abuse |
    • laura

the oral drug ampyra, is only a drug to aid in improving walking ability and speed of walking. it is not a diesease modifying drug like rebif or betaserson. get your facts straight before you open your mouth.

September 9, 2010 at 23:18 | Report abuse |
  34. Kim

I take injections every day, and occasionally my husband sees me at it. He tenderly says he's sorry I have to do it. . And every time, I have to remind him I am not sorry for the pain. I am grateful for every minor sting, as the medication I am on is currently working. I know some are excited about this new drug, as any progress to help control this diesease is fantasic, but I wish people would focus on what works for them, not just what will eliminate the need for shots. I have faith that the Good Lord will reveal a cure some day. Until that day, I will contrinue to pray for those less fortunate than myself.

June 11, 2010 at 21:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. SteveW

I hope this works well for all those suffering from MS. I lost my sister to MS 2 years ago. She had the relapsing form and had been wheelchair bound for a number of years. I wish that there had been better treatments for her but I am glad for anything that will help those with it now.

June 11, 2010 at 22:01 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. Alice Raven

The headline fooled me. I thought the article was going to be about SATIVEX (GW Pharma). I understand that Sativex is also in the process of consideration by the FDA. This may be a drop in the bucket, but MS patients my want to research this and write a letter supporting (or not) to the FDA. MS is a tough neurological condition and we should be throwing every thing we can at it without delay. Here's to the courage and power of MS patients! Strawberrys anyone?

June 11, 2010 at 22:07 | Report abuse | Reply
  37. Peggy

ARE YOU PEOPLE CRAZY OR SOMETHING?? YOU BETTER GO TO FACEBOOK AND CHECK OUT CCSVI FOR MS TORONTO.....it will blow your socks off.....that is the only real treatment for MS.....go to YouTube and check out the people that have had Dr. Zambonis "Liberation" treatment....it is miraculous......the treatment is being done in private clinics in the US too....one in Albany, NY.....why is it that none of the American media are covering this amazing treatment????? BIG PHARMA

June 11, 2010 at 22:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  38. Siddiqui,Muhammad Munir.

Multiple sclerosis is an inflammatory disease of central nervous system(CNS),affecting approximately 350,000 Americans,most commonly occurs in Caucasian population.Females are affected twice. Symptoms are acute exacerbations of neurological,followed by series of relapes and remissions.Disease progression results in functional disability.Treatment of Multiple Sclerosis is Interferon beta-1b(Betaseron) with dose of 0.25mg(8MU)SC Once daily, Interferon beta-1a (Avonex) with dose 30 mcg(6MU)IM Weekly,Glatiramer acetate(Capoxone) with dose 20 mcg SC Once daily .Diagnosis with MRI.This NDA approval by FDA (Gelinia tablet round in shape,partly white) needs post market surveliance strictly for Albumin using persons and Gelinia sensitivity, to avoid Trade bussiness from Biogen,Teva to Novartis,Paid by Medicaid,medicare and third party health insurances to get benefit of life saving of Health Care Reform ACT signed by President of U.S. Obama.

June 11, 2010 at 22:21 | Report abuse | Reply
  39. Alice Raven

Also, isn't a herpes infection rate of 5.5% less than in the general population? If that's true, it is unclear to me what point Georgiann Caruso is trying to make.

June 11, 2010 at 22:23 | Report abuse | Reply
  40. suzanne

Just found out yesterday I have MS I truly think that it is linked to something else going on since in the last 7 yrs I have had cancer , renal artery stenousis , diabities, Osterperousis, High coleserol counts, all of which I seem to have under control , Now I go and find out I have MS , WTF is going on Im healthy and very active and positive in everyway , just think that the Dr that is Italy is on to something when he talks narrow viens in the brain cause none of these things happened to me before I had narrow veins leading into my kidneys I also have a stent , Im now going to get them to take a look at the other kidney they decided not to do see if its narrow , I think they should stop looking inside the box and start looking outside the box maby the things people who have this going on could teach them a thing or two if they would listen to what we are saying , They only want to treat the symptoms and not treat the problem

June 11, 2010 at 22:44 | Report abuse | Reply
  41. James

A very dear friend of mine died 2 years ago, she had a rare form that she had contracted at age 16 she died when she was 34. It was the rapid relapsing form basically it stayed with her constantly. She was my hero. Two bad this drug was not around then We miss you sharon!

June 11, 2010 at 23:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  42. Tra

Jerry- get over it! Everyone is different & cannabis has several positive uses. I have suffered from MS for 10 years, tried all the drugs w/unbearable side effects. MMJ has done WONDERS for me and I am (now) a retired officer and have seen it all. In my 15 years on the force, not ONCE did I arrest a pothead for a break-in, assault, robbery, etc... NOT ONCE! So stop slinging ignorant comments and

June 11, 2010 at 23:43 | Report abuse | Reply
  43. Jason Spindler

CCSVI and the liberation treatment. Look it up it!

June 11, 2010 at 23:58 | Report abuse | Reply
  44. StaceyMoe

OK, to all of you that are grateful that you may be able to stop injecting yourselves daily, I understand and can the frustration and pain you go through. Especially, since I understand one of the major side effects of the suppression injectables is joint degeneration. (would be interested to know how many people on this site have had joint replacements and incredible joint pain from injectables) I think the medical community has MS completely backwards!!!!! MS is not a result of an overactive immune system, it is a result of a confused immune system. Immunosuppressant drugs are NOT going to solve the problem of a confused immune system. But I have seen what will

There is a better way...I know several people who no longer have ANY MS symptoms AND have had lesions on their brain repair themselves with targeted, scientifically proven regenerative nutrition. Their neurologists still will not say they are "cured" from MS.If anyone on this site would like to contact me for more information, please email me at designbystacey@yahoo.com

June 12, 2010 at 00:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  45. Fingolimod tester

Ahhh, well, I'm coming up on my 2 year mark of being in this very study...I was told of the risks, I was shown the paperwork. I was told of how the first death was related to a daycare worker acquiring the chicken pox as an adult without vaccination..(herpes virus).. which to any adult is scary and potentially fatal.... ..I know of the lower white blood cells... and I feel better today than I have in years... I am so excited this drug is being reccommended I could raise my arms up and scream to the heavens, "Yesss! Let the pill poppin begin!" Copaxone was like a death sentence with every injection, and it was supposed to be one of the better ones... can't imagine injecting something that lasts a week... I'd have to be anesthetized... GIVE IT A CHANCE! YOU'LL BE PLEASANTLY SURPRISED!! I know where my keys are, I remember what I walked into the room for, the top of my head doesn't feel like it's going to blow off, and the general fogginess has cleared... until the cure it found, I AM SOLD!!!!

June 12, 2010 at 00:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  46. StaceyMoe

I work for a company that has, for the first time in the history of the world, mapped the worlds largest medicinal plant library to the human genome. I talked with a neurologist the other day that just went to a conference with 200 other neurologists. What was clear is that they understood that wear and tear, oxidative stress, imflammation and infection cause damage to the cells of our body. All we are is @ 75 trillion cells. We make 300 Billion new cells per day. What the 200 neurologists were unable to share is how to repair the damage. My company has a scientifically proven, through double blind, placebo controlled, independent human clinical trials that we can reliably and dramatically push down on imflammation, and repair oxidative stress and wear and tear...as a result, the body is a miracle and has the ability to repair itself. If you would like more information please email me at designbystacey@yahoo.com. My mom, since getting off her injectables and using targeted compounds to push down on damage and push up on repair is symptom free and has had a significantly improved mri (because the body was able to repair itself.

June 12, 2010 at 00:19 | Report abuse | Reply
  47. Steven

To all you people crying about pot not being legal, touting it as a miracle cure for whatever and calling it "cannabis" to make yourselves sound like you know what you are talking about.....just drop it. Drop the act. Everybody with common sense knows its just one more of the many excuses for you to get high.

Back when I was in school, I heard all the pothead tales of wonder cures and miracles. Now at work I hear the same crap from 40 year old grown men still smoking pot and acting like they are teenagers, still spewing the same old wives tales I heard in high school. Its pathetic.

June 12, 2010 at 00:21 | Report abuse | Reply
  48. Steven

As far as the actual article goes, this is good news. My grandmother started suffering from MS around 30 years ago, shes in her 60s now. While her case is way to far late to cure or treat, this is good news regardless. MS can affect the body in alot of different ways, its not just about not being able to walk.

June 12, 2010 at 00:23 | Report abuse | Reply
  49. joan

I urge you to research online and you will see how significant CCSVI is to MS. You can find videos online ( some done by CTV in Canada) that show people once in wheelchairs due to MS actually walking again. Dr Zamboni from Italy is the man who was able to bring this theory of blocked veins to reality and shows that MS may be a venous disease and not auto-immune.

June 12, 2010 at 00:38 | Report abuse | Reply
  50. Lisa

As a medical professional that lives every day with MS, I think this is a great option for many with MS. Personally, I take a shot every day and am one of the lucky ones. I only get injection site reactions that go away in a day or so. I have no other side effects. Therefore, I don't think I will be looking to change my method of managing my MS to this new drug.

Remember, talk to your health care professional about the whole list of pros and cons of every treatment that is an option for you. Make sure that you are well educated about the drug and don't let someone else's comments on sites like these make your mind up.

I thank God that there are people out there that are pouring their hearts and souls into researching a cure for this dread disease. Thank you to all of those who have worked so hard on this.

June 12, 2010 at 00:46 | Report abuse | Reply