home
RSS
April 22nd, 2010

Reader comments about older moms

By John Bonifield
CNN Medical Producer

Today CNN senior medical correspondent Elizabeth Cohen and I wrote about women in their 40s having kids. New CDC numbers say women over 40 are having babies at rates we haven't seen since the 1960s. Younger moms under 40 are actually having fewer babies than previously. One expert we spoke to about this trend told us that whatever can go wrong goes wrong at an increased rate for women who are older and starting a pregnancy.

CNN.com users have been weighing in on this topic. Here's what some of them have been saying.

"The risks are real"

Despite the risks, many users say it's possible for women over 40 to have a health child.

"I had my last child at age 40," one user comments. "There are naturally fewer women having babies after 40, so percentages of babies born may seem higher, but in reality one can still have every bit as healthy a child as a younger person."

Another user writes, "I had my daughter at age 42 (she is now 4) and she turned out just fine. The pregnancy was extremely difficult compared to being pregnant and giving birth to my first child at age 23. The risks are real, but with proper care mother and child can be delivered safely."

"I am a better parent"

There's also been disagreement among users about whether older mothers make better parents than younger moms.

"I think I am a better parent than I would have been in my 20s," one user says. "I do not agree that a couple in their 20s would be better parents. They may be physically stronger or live longer, but will they stay married? Will they feed their kids junk food, mostly because they haven't yet figured out how to eat healthy themselves? Are they emotionally ready to selflessly give up their own lives and make another life the most important?"

Other users say comments like that are a little judgy.

"A person at any age can be a good parent, just as much as they can be a bad parent," one user writes.

"I'm running on fumes"

Some older moms have been weighing in about how much energy it takes to raise their kids.

"The hard part is being 54 like I am now and having a soon-to-be 11-year-old who has boundless energy and goes 24/7. I need to dig deep to the reserve tank when I'm running on fumes in order to be there for him. It's not easy. But I have no regrets," one mom comments.

Another mom says, "We are healthy and active but can be hard to keep up with 2 very active boys."

One mom credits her boys with keeping her young.

"Having to keep up with them, play sports with them...has kept me more fit than most women my age," she says.

"The baby I lost"

Some users are commenting on the heart break over high-risk pregnancies that didn't go well.

"I had a miscarriage at age 40, and though I had a beautiful daughter a year later (she's almost eight now), the baby I lost will always be a sad spot in my heart," she says.

Filed under: Fertility • Parenting • Pregnancy • Women's Health

1. updapebadia

Знает ли кто-нибудь как зарегестрироваться на этом сайте и скачать сервера кс source готовые

November 28, 2011 at 01:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. zedere

A motivating discussion is definitely worth comment. I think that you need to publish more on this issue, it may not be a taboo matter but typically folks don't talk about these subjects. To the next! Many thanks!!

May 30, 2012 at 08:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. XywdXg

841063 803296Fantastic paintings! This is the kind of info that ought to be shared around the web. Disgrace on Google for now not positioning this publish upper! Come on over and talk over with my website . Thanks =) 486509

July 22, 2013 at 12:23 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. detectives privados navarra

detectives privados ronda

December 10, 2020 at 16:00 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. zortilo nrel

I believe this site holds very good pent written content blog posts.

February 7, 2021 at 05:14 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Fókuszpályázat

Thanks a bunch for sharing this with all people you really realize what you're speaking approximately! Bookmarked. Please also talk over with my website =). We will have a hyperlink change contract among us!

February 9, 2021 at 03:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Barry House Clearance

I have not checked in here for some time since I thought it was getting boring, but the last few posts are good quality so I guess I’ll add you back to my daily bloglist. You deserve it my friend 🙂

February 9, 2021 at 07:51 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. zortilo nrel

Yesterday, while I was at work, my cousin stole my iPad and tested to see if it can survive a thirty foot drop, just so she can be a youtube sensation. My iPad is now destroyed and she has 83 views. I know this is completely off topic but I had to share it with someone!

February 10, 2021 at 15:22 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. frolep rotrem

You have brought up a very fantastic details, regards for the post.

February 28, 2021 at 16:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. ClarkTauts

qm52y c70j1 tgc5

March 1, 2021 at 17:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. ClarkTauts

k8dr6 ftxs3 o1iq

March 1, 2021 at 19:16 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Cleo Goldy

Thank you for another informative website. Where else could I am getting that kind of information written in such a perfect way? I have a project that I'm just now operating on, and I have been on the glance out for such information.

March 24, 2021 at 15:54 | Report abuse | Reply