home
RSS
April 16th, 2010

3 questions with Jamie Oliver

If you still think of Jamie Oliver as The Naked Chef, you have some catching up to do.

That show gave Oliver his start, but he has since become a crusader for healthy food for schoolchildren. Starting in a school cafeteria in the Greenwich section of London, Jamie’s campaign to change the way British schoolchildren eat took him all the way to the halls of Parliament, resulting in the British government committing 650 million pounds to improving the school food program.

Now, Oliver has turned his attention to the United States – and in particular, the town of Huntington, West Virginia, deemed the most unhealthy community in the country.

A series of six shows detailing his work in Huntington titled “Jamie Oliver’s Food Revolution” is airing now on ABC. Sitting down with Oliver, CNN’s Dr. Sanjay Gupta had a chance ask him about his goals:

Gupta: The average person comes into a grocery store here in the states to buy food. Are we doing something wrong?

Oliver: I think one of the problems that we've got is, generally speaking soft drinks, in my experience are being consumed instead of any form of water. Snacking is just an unpoliceable meal – it's just whenever they want, and rarely has that much food nutrition. Really, it normally is largely based on sugar. And the meals, when you get around to them, will either be a [take-out], delivery, or processed boxed foods. There's nothing wrong with nugget per se, there's nothing wrong with a burger per se, it's normally when you get the cheaper versions, they've got all the other bits in them as well. I mean, something like a burger can be four ingredients but why is there 40?

Gupta: The thing I keep coming back to is that nobody wants to do wrong by their kids I don't think, so where is the problem here? Is there someone who wears a black hat in this whole thing?

Oliver: No I think the black hat to be worn is in education. We haven't done enough in England or America about food education for 30 or 40 years. If you understand the basics of food from an early age – if you have an open-mindedness about food because you've been exposed to a lot from an early age, then it allows you to make different decisions as you grow older and have your own kids. The families I've worked with that have massive problems – they don't not love their kids – they love their kids – they know they're all obese including themselves and they know all the problems – they've seen all the statistics, but they haven't got the tools to sort of shop or cook their way out of it really.

Gupta: People say they don't have time, people say they don't have money to eat well.

Oliver: Shopping is where you're going to spend the second-largest amount of money in your own life – other than your own house and your kids- but shopping is a massive bill in your annual spend. The families I worked with [spend] $150 a week. That's eight grand a year, and that's proper money. That is buying versions of all of these things- buying cucumbers, we're buying lettuce, leeks, potatoes. There are little tricks you can do in supermarkets: The minute they bag it up and grate it, they're gonna charge you for it. The minute you take erratic sizes, it'll be much cheaper. Whatever's in season and local will be cheaper and of course when they're doing deals and bargains – buy one, get this free – you might not want free. What's the point in buying them if you don't want free in the first place?

To see more of Dr. Gupta’s conversation with Jamie Oliver, tune in to “Sanjay Gupta M.D.” on CNN at 7:30 a.m. ET, Saturday-Sunday.

Filed under: Body Image • Children's Health • Weight loss

1. Brian

@ Vicki:

He did take on the British school food program. And as a result of what he did in the few schools, all of the schools in the UK got results. And yes, I've been to the UK, and there are a lot of obese people there too, but not as many as the US.

You state: "Don't we have chefs, dietitians, and nutritionists in this country who could help folks in need of dietary education? [...] Of course, providing fresh food has to be economically feasible, which in some cases, it is not."

I suggest that you check out Alton Brown's diet. He IS a chef, and he IS local (lives in Alpharetta), and he HAS been trying to educate others on how to eat properly using fresh ingredients.

And fresh food is available and economically feasible for almost every one in the lower 48. But we see the worst rates on obesity in towns in the south that are close to food sources and close to shipping ports and distribution facilities. This means cheaper food.

And about once a year, I'll drive from Kentucky to Marietta to go to Harry's Farmer's Market, because the produce is local, cheap, and diverse.

April 17, 2010 at 08:34 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Kris Young

Once Jamie is done with the School Lunch program can we get him to change the foodstamp program? It should be more like the WIC program. People will argue that they don't want to be told what to eat but that is what WIC does. If you are getting a handout you shouldn't be able to waste it on zero nutrition foods. Instead of just handing people assistance money why not educate them & show them how to use the allotment in a more healthy way. I have seen so many obese people using food allotment moneys while shopping. Their cart tends to be loaded with processed junk. They don't understand that what they are eating is killing them. A slow death by food choices. Sad. Also I saw a bit of irony that children in West Va., an area that was probably farmland some 25 – 40 years ago didn't know there vegetatbles. I guess people aren't farming or planting gardens there anymore.

April 17, 2010 at 08:36 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. chiu

he is funny and knows what he's talking about that's why we like him. one who feel "insulted" will be defense no matter what the obvious-kids are getting fatter these days.

April 17, 2010 at 08:44 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. SquirrelBiscuit

I've been watching the show and loving it. Jamie has great ideas and I really hope Huntington can be the stepping stone of a movement.

And Vicki, I don't think we need to feel insulted that a Brit chose to do this. He did it in England and now he's here. He's really focused on humanity as a whole.

I sure hope this movement catches hold... Lord knows we can't keep going down this path. All I can picture is the people of Wall-E. 😦

April 17, 2010 at 08:45 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Erik

@Vicki:

You ask whether anybody is insulted that a Brit is coming to help. I think a better question is why more Americans aren't embarrassed that we can't seem to help ourselves. More to the point, though, the dietary problems in the UK are very similar to those in the US, and he has already begun to tackle the problem there. The US can only benefit from his experience - and it should, regardless of his national origin.

And as far as fresh food not being "economically feasible," I don't know what you're talking about. I cut processed foods out of my diet almost entirely about 5 years ago and I now spend less on groceries AND I am healthier. And I quickly learned that after a bit of practice, preparing a fresh meal takes no longer than a prepackaged one (unless you eat nothing but Hot Pockets)....

April 17, 2010 at 08:48 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Liz

Thanks to Jamie Oliver anf thanks to the people of Huntington West Virgina. You are showing us that we can change even when its hard. You are lovely people setting a great example and showing us it can be done.

April 17, 2010 at 08:53 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. 2gabbygals

As a parent of very young chidren, I am thrilled that Jamie is bringing this awareness to the public's eye. We are very healthy eaters at home and can only hope our children will chose the healthy choice when away from our home, but having nothing but bad choices in the schools they are set up to fail.
    2gabbygals.wordpress.com

April 17, 2010 at 09:01 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. will

I remember watching Jamie as the naked chef when I lived in the UK. Now that I'm back in the states with children of my own, I am really excited to see how much progress he seems to be making. I've been teaching my own kids these basic food skills their whole life, but it seemed that nobody around me was. I don't know how he's done it, but I'm incredibly thankful he has.

April 17, 2010 at 09:05 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. John Tyler Erie, Pa

Americans seem to take the easy way out. Fast lives, fast foods and no family time. We think there is a magic pill that will undo the damage we do to ourselves because we eat junk food. Wake up America only you can control your health through proper eating habits and exercise.

April 17, 2010 at 09:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Lee Conary

It's very ambitious and brave what Jamie is doing. He mentioned snacking and I think he really needs to go after this point harder. As a mom with elementary aged boys, I've noticed that kids are over-snacked all the time! It seems we've reached a point where no child is expected to endure any activity without a juice pouch (sugar), processed snack bar (sugar) or gummy fruits (sugar). I just don't remember my mother making a huge effort 30 years ago to take along snacks for every outing or activity. We ate at mealtime. All this between meals snacking is surely contributing to the childhood obesity problem.

I agree with some of the other comments about it being very expensive to eat healthy, in terms of time and money. This is a systemic problem, and a problem of our expectations about disposable income. Our money represents our resources in life. I try to imagine what people even a couple centuries ago spent their resources (time, effort) on. I imagine that it was shelter and food, the basics for staying alive. Nowadays our economic system requires that we spend a high percentage of our resources on consumer goods and services (cars, clothes, computers, cell phones, ipods and that we should expect food to be cheap so it doesn't interfere with our ability to buy STUFF. I think food cost has been kept artificially low by a system that values economic growth at any cost. A way to keep it low is to mass produce crap for food, and possibly farm subsidy over the years. Does anyone know of a study on this?

As a family, we spend a HUGE amount of our money on food, fresh mostly organic food. At the same time we struggle financially, we own one crappy car, no cable TV, no landline telephone (just cell), we don't eat out much, we don't buy a lot of new clothes, video games, plasma TVs, etc. But we're healthy, and happy 🙂

April 17, 2010 at 09:14 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. bree

The government runs our education system and that includes the nutrition. On the show last night, the guidelines stated that they had to offer flavored milk as research showed children would drink it if it was flavored. unbelievable. Give them only 1 choice and they will drink that too if they are thirsty. Government run and screwed up like health care will be.

April 17, 2010 at 09:14 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. gail

Vicki from Marietta: Insulted? Why should we feel insulted? We do have chefs, dietitians, and nutritionists in this country and they are failing miserably. I salute Jamie Oliver for his mission. My three kids took their lunch to school EVERY single day- we don't eat processed foods at home and they sure didn't want it at school. We're not health food fanatics. We eat fast food on a rare occasion but it was never a part of our everyday life. My kids are now in their mid-twenties and my husband and I can pat ourselves on the back as they all three are healthy eaters! It is not difficult to eat well but it does take some education and some planning. I wish Jamie the best of luck and have throughly enjoyed watching his 'Food Revolution' show.

April 17, 2010 at 09:15 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Ohio Mom

I also applaud Jamie's efforts and enthusiasm. America needs him!!!

Keep up the excellent work Jamie.

April 17, 2010 at 09:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Susan

I agree that we need to eat more "real" food and less processed stuff. I, too grew up having a garden; my parents canned or froze whatever we didn't eat at harvest; my mother also made bread and other baked items from scratch – it's not like we never had Oreos and such, it just wasn't the bulk of what we ate. All 6 of us also learned how to cook way before we had to take "Home Ec" in school. Imagine my surprise when one of the first cooking projects we had was to make a cake from a box – I had never done that before! And it really didn't taste very good. It doesn't matter to me that Jamie is from Britain (as another comment felt it was insulting). The message of good health through proper diet has been put out at various times and by various people – we need to keep hearing the message. Also, at least in my town, we are able to donate our "extra" garden produce to the local food bank – so there is no reason for anyone to go without fresh produce.

April 17, 2010 at 09:33 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. MomofTwins

Really, Vicki? You are insulted by a man who has had success in England and is here to help us? We are a FAT FAT FAT country. It is disgusting and an embarrassment - they actually have fat american jokes in Europe. Our country is sick and needs help. The US government is not helping, are you helping? Give me a break. So glad that someone is finally shaking things up. If you saw the show, you would be shocked - a heap of fried french fries is considered a vegetable? I mean, please. And a nasty drippy burger (with god knows what is in it) is considered a healthy meal that matches "health" guidelines. And there was a whole class of kids who did not know a potato from a tomato! We are literally killing our kids with processed crap.

Go Jamie!!

April 17, 2010 at 09:34 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Frank

Vicki – No, I am not insulted that Jaimie Oliver has turned his sights on us. We have nutritionists, experts, doctors and all, but they clearly aren't getting the job done. Jaime brings a certain street credibility with him... he's done this in England already. Get over the insult of having someone else show up and try to 'fix' us, and look at what he's doing. He is trying to stir the pot a little and get us to really think about what we eat, and what we feed our children. I think that many people have forgotten, or never learned the value of good nutrition, and that's what Jamie is really trying to do. Give him a chance, support him, and get involved.

April 17, 2010 at 09:36 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Lindsay

To Vicki:

I don't feel insulted that a celebrity (no matter where he is from) is reaching out to help people change for the better. If you read the article, watched his show, or followed world news, you would know that he DID do something to help children in his native country. I think it's wonderful that he has come to the United States to help us look at food and eating in a healthier way. And yes, even though there are nutritionists and dietary consultants who can help us here in the U.S., most of them don't have the "star power" or the resources to help make a difference. I hope that Jamie Oliver's food revolution is just the start of healthier eating in the United States.

April 17, 2010 at 09:43 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. george

Great job Jamie,For years I have said that the American housewife doesn't cook.
    They buy frozen food,nuke it and serve.
    They do buy the already cooked chickens however.It taes 1.5 hours to cook your own ,yet they buy the already cooked version.
    Where do you think the supermarkets get these chickens?
    What do you think the supermarkets do with all the chickens whose date has expired? You guessed it. !!!!!
    Start cooking ladies.

April 17, 2010 at 09:48 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Lynda

I love Jamie Oliver but he is not saying anything new. Robert Kenner in his film "Food Inc." showed the same shocking statistics. Morgan Spurlock in his film "Supersize Me" went into a school cafeteria in his endeavor to find out why we were all so supersized. It is helpful to see and hear the same information from more than one source. What will we do with this information? When will we believe them?

It seems un-American not to drink and love soda. When I read the dismal statistics about sugar, especially high fructose corn syrup, I stopped drinking and buying all soda. My kids thought I was committing some kind of child abuse on them until my daughter saw with her own eyes, at a health fair, the number of tablespoons of sugar in one can of soda. She said those amazing words..."Mom, you were right."

It's not easy to get un-addicted to soda and its high fructose corn syrup or to the cakes and pies and the momentary comfort that those refined carbohydrates bring. We must open our eyes to the reality of the consequences of those choices. We can listen to Jamie, and Robert, and Morgan, and finally say...."Guys, you were right."

April 17, 2010 at 09:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. werner

Most people are cheap and lazy. There's your answer there.
    Good food costs money...and people justify buying frozen, pre-made McWhatevers because they cost less than a piece of fish and fresh veg.
    And the fact that a lot of people don't cook anymore. They'd rather throw a pan of said McWhatevers in the oven and be done with it. It keeps the kids happy and quiet...so those fat, cheap and lazy parents don't have to deal with kids whining for the latest flavour of McWhatevers.

April 17, 2010 at 09:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Frank Carso

Go Jamie. I was addicted to junk food. Who wouldn't LOVE to eat FRIES every day, oh the smell.

Truth is, once you know it's SO bad for you, that every bite is clogging your arteries and killing our kids you start to retrain you mind. Take the breakfasts at the Airports. 50g of fat – 5 times daily requirements at least.

I did retrain my mind. I used to also be addicted to soda's but again, I trained myself. Go on a no-soda-diet for about 14 days and the craving is gone forever.

Now, when I do have a soda, or fries or burger, which is rare, I realize how bad they really are (taste wise) and how bad they are for me.

Don't get me wrong, I still eat bad but I'm down 20 pounds and know, with any luck, I'll spend an extra 5-10 years with my kids/grand-kids.

GO JAMIE. AMERICA needs you and if any other person needs proof then they need to know that AMerican Health Experts in OUR schools state "French Fries are a Vegetable" – now that's moronic !

April 17, 2010 at 09:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Malvika

Hi..I'm an Indian(From India-Not Native American)living in USA for long...we Cook at home Everyday FROM SCRATCH...and that's the Key to good health...I'm not saying that all Indians are healthy but Of Course the diet that we use everyday are muuuuuuuch healthier than what we see around in US.....Yes,It's a LOT of hardwork to knead the dough,to cut fresh veggies n cook but we do it.....
    I also agree that not everone can afford the time and energy to cook from Scratch or cook everyday at home....so it's better to try to but already shredded veggies and all you've to do is just heat the pan, add oil and mix everything up and it should not take more than 15 mins!Also it's very very important to make WISER CHOICES WHILE EATING OUT.... it's wiser to opt for the 'better' eateries..Not necessarily costlier ones but there are Great take-away meals at some 'Natural Grocery' Stores whose Burgers do really have just 4-5 ingredients instead of 40 as pointed out by the Chef!
    Some chinese/Japanese places have sTeamed options that are very very tasty and healthy enough.... and it's a Big misconception that Chinese Restaurant Foods are all Loaded with MSG.... in fact some Non-Chinese renowned Fast Food joints serving nuggets and burgers have lot more MSG than Chinese food and actually I think most of the Chinese food joints use no MSG nowadays.....Chinese-,Japanese joints in fact have more option of healthier foods than other eateries..just look for 'Steamed' options with Less/No sauce.

April 17, 2010 at 09:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Lena

To answer Vicki's question, NO, I do not take exception to what Jamie is doing. I don't care where the person comes from who could change the garbage that is fed to our children in school. I work hard to make sure my kids get fruits and vegetables everyday. I keep them away from pop and candy as much as I can. Let me tell you, its an everyday struggle. Right now they are not in school yet but when they do go, I don't want to have to undue the damage that our public school system is doing to our kids. Anyone who takes exception with this is using his origin as an excuse not to listen to what he is telling us.

April 17, 2010 at 10:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. yen

It is a great thing Jamie is trying to do. We should all give him whatever support we can give him.The snack thing is a killer. The freedom to buy your own snack should come later. Parents should give sensible snack to their children until the get to know the good and the bad for them.

April 17, 2010 at 10:17 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. Chris

I am truly grateful to Jamie for his efforts to change the eating habits of millions. True education about proper nutrition is the way to change. By working with children, he has a chance to not only educate them, but their future generations. The impact can be massive. He could be trying to sell a cooking show, but instead is trying to help others. In case you have haven't seen his cookbooks, they are fantastic. My favorite is Jamie's Dinners, and I just got Food Revoultion.

April 17, 2010 at 10:18 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. mamajuice

Kudos to Jamie for taking up this charge. Even for those of us who are fairly well educated, it's difficult to keep our kids - and ourselves - on a healthy track.

I find that economics are a significant barrier to healthy eating. We have a healthy income, but we budget everything strictly, including groceries. I try to shop seasonally, avoid processed foods like the plague, and read all labels carefully. But the whole grain bread that is free of high fructose corn syrup costs more than twice what Wonder bread costs; lean ground beef is more expensive than a fattier mix, and ground turky is more expensive still. And while cooking from scratch is the goal, there are times, realistically, when we just need to resort to convenience food; when this happens, the all-natural mac and cheese costs more than twice the box of Kraft, with its food dyes and dextrose and other garbage.

If I'm finding it difficult to shop healthy and stay within a fairly generous budget, I can only imagine how people with less struggle.

The City Council here in Chicago tried to ban all trans fat from restaurant food in the city a few years back. They claimed they were primarily targeting fast food restaurants, out of concern for lower-income people whose diets consisted disproportionately of fast food. But no one bothered examining WHY lower-income diets relied so much on fast food in the first place.

When wide swaths of lower-income neighborhoods have no grocery stores at all, the choice for working parents who already see too little of their kids is to get on three buses, travel for forty minutes or more to get to a store, and then lug it back on those buses; or to settle for fast food and convenience store crap. If the City Council REALLY wanted to help these neighborhoods, they would work to incentize national grocery chains to open stores there; they would get serious about instituting programs to teach healthy eating/cooking/shopping in schools and community centers; the north side of the city has many fabulous farmers' markets, but $20 might get you a half dozen ears of corn, a few tomatoes, some peaches, and a few zucchini; why couldn't the City Council find a way to work with the vendors to subsidize farmers' markets in south side neighborhoods so that lower-income people could actually afford some of that beautiful produce? These are all real solutions, but the City Council merely went for the politically expedient, low-hanging fruit (or, in this case, low-hanging hamburger).

Yes, we as individuals and families need to take greater responsibility for our food choices and our cooking and eating habits. But there are serious problems with our food production and distribution systems, and with our government's feeble attempts to break through the self-interests of agribusiness, food companies, and others who profit off making processed crap the cheapest and easiest alternatives. There is a serious lack of infrastructure to provide meaningful rather than cosmetic programs to teach those who need it most what they need to know to make healthy eating a realistic part of their lives. Until we address some of these issues at the top, it will continue to be difficult for many of us to revolutionize our food.

Keep up the good work, Jamie, but I hope your focus will expand beyond individuals and families to include working on changing those who control what is available to us. When Wal-Mart's purchasing power dictates what's available in stores they don't even own, and television commercials tout Nutella (a chocolate hazlenut spread) as "a healthy breakfast treat for moms who need all the help they can get," healthy eating can feel like a losing battle.

April 17, 2010 at 10:19 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. Georgette NC

ACTION speaks louder than words. Thank you for your passion and ACTION Jamie O.

April 17, 2010 at 10:28 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. Jane Deaux

His message may be touch but Jamie Oliver is spot on. Fast and processed food is killing this nation. If I continued to eat the way I ate when I was a child, witih my mother (and father) daily preparing fresh, simple foods the way they learned from their parents, instead of eating out almost five days per week and most lunches, I would be of normal weight.

April 17, 2010 at 10:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  29. Shawn

To the person who feels insulted that someone from Britain has come over to "fix" us, why be insulted by anyone who wants to help children? You offered vague suggestions that church groups of Boy Scouts could take over this project, Jamie is doing something now. By the way, Boy Scouts & Girl Scouts do have healthy eating & exercise components. Without a change in the way we feed school children nothing else stands a chance. French Fries are not a vegetable. As to why so many parents do not cook meals from raw ingredients, just look at American productivity rates. For those people who have jobs we are spending too much time at work and not enough time at home. For those who are unemployed the raw ingredients are too expensive. If we spent less time at work and more at home, we would have more time to garden and cook healthy meals and there might be more jobs to go around.

April 17, 2010 at 10:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  30. Matthew

@ Vicky of Marietta, GA:

Instead of feeling 'insulted', how about ashamed that none of your fellow Americans have stepped up to help make a difference? I don't see Emeril Lagasse plugging away at improving the eating habits of children. If you've followed Jamie's story at all, you'd know that he's already overhauled the meals served to kids throughout Britain. His vision and heart have brought him to a place that needs his help and courage the most.

April 17, 2010 at 10:36 | Report abuse | Reply
  31. ToddlerMom06

Thank you Jamie for taking the time that you have to wake us all up. I am very supportive of you and the changes that you are trying to get us all to make. You'll find that the people who truly care about their children will take the proper steps to ensure that they are having a healthy and nutritious meal. Those who don't, well...all you have to do is look at them. We all have to strive to make improvements to our daily lives. You have inspired me to grow more fresh produce in my garden this year so that I know my family is getting fresh, healthy food and I know where it is coming from. Thank you again! 🙂

April 17, 2010 at 10:38 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. Chasity

Vicki, don't you think it's awfully close-minded to shut someone and their ideas out just because they're from a different country? Also, the fact of the matter is that no-one in the US is doing anything about it, so why not let Jamie step in and fill the void? What harm is he doing? From everything I've seen & heard, he's only helping!

And, as for it having to be 'economically feasible, which in some cases, it is not', why not grow your own? Nothing is more economical than that! And Farmer's Markets offer a fresher & more diverse assortment than most grocery stores.

April 17, 2010 at 10:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  33. Kim

Vicki, does it matter? If it comes down to swallowing a little pride vs. getting people educated and keeping kids healthier, why is it worth choosing to be insulted? Sure there is an element of commercialism to it but the point is to get the message out there and I do think Jamie's intentions are sincere. I do not see him putting people down, at all. While I understand why the knee-jerk response is to be defensive, I think he really is working with people to try to make the system work better for future generations.

April 17, 2010 at 10:44 | Report abuse | Reply
  34. Mari

Jamie's show is great! It frustrates me to see one person sabotage his efforts. He's right; it appears that cut backs in school spending on home economics classes has created an American society that knows little about nutrition. I struggle myself to eat the right food and his show reinforces my efforts. School food programs resembles the fraud on Wall Street–it's all about money and not about what's right.

April 17, 2010 at 10:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. JMikey54

Jamie Oliver is great, I have watched the food reveloution, and also The Ministry of Food series where he acomplished there what he is trying to help us do here. We need to support what Jammie is doing and get behind him. America is not eating healthy and we should start with the kids. It is a disgrace that we are not teaching our children good eating habits. Just watch the series Jamie is spot on with his advice. Google Jamie Oliver for more info. You can also watch him on http://www.hulu.com .

April 17, 2010 at 10:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. Dr.Virginia Lubell

I know Food Revolution is a TV reality show however I was absolutely shocked that the 3 people with whom Jamie met at the hospital were concerned about 'the image' of Huntington.

Whether it was 3 counties or just that town, the CDC revealed a fact and these three leaders should have immediately said: 'Thank you for coming here and we want Huntington to go on the record of leading the way toward a national reform'.

Americans have been put to sleep for the past 30 years since the Great Deregulation where government gave away their sovereignty to Transnationals of all sorts ... including the food industry from seeds through production. We've sold our health and wealth for sugar and cheap trinkets and have ruined our health and the planets.

Go Jaimie go!

April 17, 2010 at 10:48 | Report abuse | Reply
  37. Stephanie Dominguez

Sometimes you do need someone from the outside to point things out. Bravo to Jamie! He is right. Just look at our youngsters. They are fat. Why would we want such a painful future for them. Wake up America!

April 17, 2010 at 10:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  38. Steve T

Jamie Oliver is a great man for doing this...but my fear is that Americans are too far gone. I have relatives in WV and they put sugar IN EVERYTHING that they eat. When I ask them about nutrition, they shrug their shoulders and say "whatever god's will"...it is pathetic. They cannot think for themselves and refuse to do anything that would require one extra second of effort...

April 17, 2010 at 10:53 | Report abuse | Reply
  39. Jon

My family loves the show you are doing but one thing that bugs me is that you are making things that kids will not traditionally eat.

Why not take something that you know kids will eat and make it nutritious? For example, make a fresh wheat pizza with loads of veggies and baked chicken. They will be more apt to eat that than baked chicken and salad.

April 17, 2010 at 10:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  40. Mike

@Vicki, Marietta, GA

Jamie has a program underway in Britain. Problem is, there's few in the US who can or are willing to take this issue to the level Jamie is. Poor eating habitats is a problem of the rich and poor, educated and uneducated. It is US corporate food interests that is causing us to eat ourselves to death. Bravo Jamie.

April 17, 2010 at 11:02 | Report abuse | Reply
  41. Judy

Wake up America! Time to stop making excuses of being too busy to put a healthy meal on the table. My family is not wealthy but we learned a long time ago that eating a healthy meal is much cheaper than fast food and makes for a happier existence. Thanks Jamie for addressing a major problem in our country and attempting to help parents make better choices for their families.

April 17, 2010 at 11:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  42. dana

Jamie Oliver is a saint. Anybody that is trying to do something to help this crazy lifestyle we live of eating unhealty should be commended. I felt so bad for him on the first episode. The cooks were all nasty old women that were more worried about taking their smoke break than they were about helping the kids eat healthier. It was really sad to see that all these kids want is processed foods. I have a friend that works in healthcare and he said you would not believe the young people that are coming in these days with heart ailments due to poor diet. Time to wake up America!

April 17, 2010 at 11:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  43. O. Geoffrion

Vicki–no, I am not insulted that Jamie Oliver, "a guy from Britain", is concerned about the eating habits of American school children, if that's what it takes. He is to be lauded for bringing attention to a problem that contributes to child obesity and lays the groundwork for future health problems (diabetes, heart disease come to mind), and will surely overwhelm the health care system in this country. Well done Jamie, I've always liked your healthy cooking style!

April 17, 2010 at 11:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  44. Another Jamie

Vicki, you may not have noticed this, but there are no famous American chefs stepping up to the plate. Is taking advice from a non-Yank more horrible than feeding children food that will make them weak-willed, weak-minded (uh, how do you eat?), diabetic and less likely to live as long as their parents do?

It's a small world, babe. Americans and everyone else should be grareful for genuine help no matter where it comes from.

April 17, 2010 at 11:18 | Report abuse | Reply
  45. Rob

I cannot believe that Anyone could find negativity about this article, but of course Vicki from Marieta, GA (one of the most obese states in the country) is INSULTED that a guy from Britain comes over HERE to help US.

Open your eyes Vicki – look around next time you go to a shopping mall, Walmart or anyplace in America. The increasing number and size of OUR children should not only insult you, but motivate you to DO something rather than spew hate about someone who CARES about all kids! This is NOT about nationality or politics or anything other than education, health and our future – yes Vicki OUR future in the USA. We need our kids healthy and happy. Please care a little.

April 17, 2010 at 11:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  46. Lina

I think what Jamie Oliver is doing in the US is great. It saddens me to see so many young children & adults suffer from obesity. Education starts at home. Parents should encourage children to take nutritious foods – forget the sodas & unhealthy snack. We grew up where mom made home-cooked meals daily. To this day, I still make fresh dinner daily and believe me, it is not difficult to eat healthy on a limited budget.

April 17, 2010 at 11:28 | Report abuse | Reply
  47. kenr

It is about time someone, and I don't care where they are from raises the issue of education regarding food. I hink most peo0le would respond as they did with nicotine. Health is a recious thing and we don't seem to value it till it is gone.
    We all have enough time when we get really sick. It takes just a little effort to see what is wrong with the American diet; too much sugar, fat, salt, and chocolate!!
    I work in a hospital and every day see the results of the abuse of food on our population.

We need to listen to Jaime or whoever sounds the alarm!!

April 17, 2010 at 11:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  48. Ryan

In the few weeks that I have watched Food Revolution it has actually made me want to and healthier and cook more nutritious foods. My wife and I had already started eating healthier in recent months but it gives us some reinforcement and most everything he cooks on the show looks delicious.

America does have a problem and a lot of it has to with the mentality of shoving something in our stomachs for cheap no matter what the nutritional value because we have to eat to survive and a lot of us feel that we don't have enough time to cook properly.

I used to eat out everyday at the various fast food places and I gained so much weight in a short period of time and it started to hurt. I applaud Jamie for what he is doing and I hope he gives us more quick and easy recipes that taste good.

April 17, 2010 at 11:38 | Report abuse | Reply
  49. Talula

Seriously? I think he is on the right track, but if you actually read what he says he doesn't make a lick of sense. I "understand" what he is talking about, but he certainly cannot verbalize well at all. None of the interview makes any sense, especially the answer to the last question.

April 17, 2010 at 11:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  50. Laurie

Dr. Gupta,
    Thank you for alerting people about Jamie and his show. It was very interesting. I agree it has to do with education. Human nature is to be lazy and find the quickest solution, that is why "fast" food and "convenience foods" sell. Food is a highly controlled commodity, read Omnivore's dilemma for some really scary insights into our food sources as well as other books by Michael Pollen. Vegetables can be tasty but it takes work to make them that way. It also takes conditioning to get yourself and your children's tastes accustomed to healthy food. The sugar and fats in junk food are like drugs to the brain and can be just as dangerous.

April 17, 2010 at 11:42 | Report abuse | Reply