home
RSS
April 5th, 2010

OxyContin reformulation OK'd

By Matt Sloane
CNN Medical News Producer

A popular painkiller, known for its high abuse potential – OxyContin – is being reformulated, the Food and Drug Administration said Monday.

According to the release, the drug in its current form is designed to release small quantities of the active ingredients over an extended period of time, but abusers have found ways to circumvent the drug’s time-release properties and ingest large quantities all at once.

The new formulation, approved today by the FDA’s Center for Drug Evaluation and research – would “prevent the opioid medication from being cut, broken, chewed, crushed or dissolved to release more medication.”

Experts saythat while this reformulation may reduce the risk of abuse by injection or snorting, addicts abusing the drug by mouth may be able to achieve similar highs by taking more of the drug.

“Although this new formulation of OxyContin may provide only an incremental advantage over the current version of the drug, it is still a step in the right direction,” said Bob Rappaport, M.D., director of the Division of Anesthesia and Analgesia Products in the FDA’s Center for Drug Evaluation and Research in the agency’s press release.

According to the release, and data from the U.S. Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, approximately half a million people abused OxyContin for the first time in 2008 alone.

1. Marcus

This seems like a great way to get people off of "safer" prescription drugs on to street heroin or worse. Let's get an ugly truth out of the way: we will NEVER stop people from abusing drugs. Fact. Every society since the Babylonians have been intoxicating themselves in some way, and some of these ways were found to be unacceptable in American society. As such, we have decided that heroin should be illegal – which in all truthfulness is probably a good idea. However, the abuse of pharmaceuticals is safer than abusing unknown drugs like heroin. Not completely safe, but it's far harder to cut pills than powder or tar heroin, and I doubt a drug dealer would go through all the trouble of making counterfeit pills when real pills are cheaper to sell and carry less risk.

It is quite easy to cut heroin on the other hand. Just a few years ago, roughly 50 people overdosed and died in my area. The cause? Someone cut their bags with fentanyl to try to increase the price, but nobody remembered to tell the users. Fentanyl is a VERY potent painkiller (50 to 100 times more powerful than morphine), used almost exclusively in hospice and during end of life care. Everyone that used these drugs ended up overdosing and dying, or being sent to the hospital.

Someone can say that maybe these people had it coming. I surely wouldn't, and I'm sure that none of them would have willingly shot up if they knew they would die from it. These senseless deaths can easily be stopped by a harm prevention approach, based on getting addicts the drugs they need without making them resort to shady street dealers and unknown substances.

Addiction to opiates is the only disease one can still get arrested for having, and is a well proven fact. Withdrawals can and will kill an addict if they're not taken off of drugs in a medically monitored environment. Another fact – opiates alone (including heroin) aren't dangerous on their own. The only impacts on health come from poor injection habits, bad drugs, or overdosing. So why aren't we saving more lives by helping addicts? These "un-abusable" pills are doing nothing but driving addicts to riskier circumstances that will kill them in larger numbers than the abusable pills will, mark my words. The blood of EVERYONE overdosing on street drugs is on the hands of the DEA, FDA, and worst of all the Pharmaceutical industry.

Harm reduction works, and it's time that we as a society face the facts that we can save lives through unconventional thinking. Let's take the money away from cartels and street dealers, let's take unsafe drugs away from those that choose to abuse them, and I can guarantee that within a few years overdose deaths will stop.

April 6, 2010 at 11:53 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. bonbon

my mother takes Oxycontin for her Fibromyalgia and if they pulled it from the shelves, she would be in such horrid pain that she would die, literally. These fools that abuse this drug for their fun have caused such undue stress to individuals who need it for health and living reasons and that don't abuse it! I hope this step works to keep the bored dummies from using and find other and more healthy means of recreation!!!

April 6, 2010 at 12:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. bonbon

i promise you this........whether it's Oxycontin or Tylenol, the kids today who get bored and want to show off to their buds will figure out how to get high off of anything!! They now have a synthetic marijuana they use and it is known to kill too! Kids don't care or just think it won't happen to them! Russian Reulet! taking any drug is like crossing a major highway, you may make it most times but there is the one time that a truck creams you!!! OOPS, maybe shouldn't have done it that time! DON'T EVER DO IT AND LIVE A LONG, LONG, WONDERFUL LIFE!!!

April 6, 2010 at 12:21 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. JULIE

MY SON WAS A OXYCOTIN ABUSER FROM THE AGE OF 15-19...ALL THRU HIGH SCHOOL NEVER MISSED CURFEW WAS ALWAYS HOME ON TIME AND THERE WERE NO SIGNS TO US THE PARENTS THAT THIS WAS GOING ON. ALWAYS REMEMBER THEIR FRIENDS AND PARENTS KNOW MORE ABOUT YOUR FAMILY THAN YOU DO... THEY WILL PAY UP TO $80 FOR EACH PILL..THEY SCRAPE THEM TO A POWDER FORM AND SNORT THEM. HE IS FREE OF ALL PAIN MEDS NOW FOR A YEAR AND HALF. AS HIS MOTHER, I BELIEVE THERE WILL NEVER BE AN END TO ANY ADDICTION...MY BIGGEST SURPRISE WAS WHERE HE WAS
    GETTING ALL THESE PILLS..FROM A FAMILY FRIEND THAT WE HAD
    KNOW FOR A LONG TIME...HE STARTED TAKING PAIN PILLS WHEN HE WAS IN THE 9TH GRADE AND HE HAD TO MAKE THE DECISION ON HIS OWN TO WANT HELP...WHEN HE FINALLY HIT ROCK BOTTOM AND SOLD OR TRADED EVERYTHING THAT HE HAD HE
    WAS READY FOR HELP.... WE DID KNOW ABOUT THE END OF HIS SENIOR YEAR THERE WAS PROBLEM...HE HAS ALWAYS WORKED AND HE MOVED OUT. THE RUMORS WERE AROUND THEN WHAT HE WAS DOING. WHEN HE FINALLY HIT ROCK BOTTOM..HE HAD SOLD OR TRADED EVERYTHING THAT HE HAD...HE THEN WANTED HELP....HE IS STILL CLEAN AND IS BACK TO THE SWEET AND LOVING CHILD HE WAS BEFORE THE ADDICTION...

April 6, 2010 at 12:22 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Atari2600

85% of all Oxy is prescribed via "pain managment" doctors in Florida. Shut that down and you shut down 85% of the problem of abuse. Done. No reformulation necessary.

April 6, 2010 at 13:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. robert koth

“prevent the opioid medication from being cut, broken, chewed, crushed or dissolved to release more medication.”....pure nonsense. Many of these addicts have degrees in chemistry! Give them more credit...

April 6, 2010 at 13:19 | Report abuse | Reply
    • chemist

u cudnt b more right. took me a half hour 2 remove reformulatio.lol. what a joke.

January 11, 2011 at 20:29 | Report abuse |
  7. Rebecca

I currently take Oxy for a permanent nerve disorder and this drug has been allow me to function and go back to some sort of normal life. It is not the manufacturer that we should be worried about it is the physicians that distribute it to people who do not need it. There are legitimate users out there who do not take it for "fun" and take it as a way to function day to day.

April 6, 2010 at 13:33 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Serena

Addiction and abuse of prescription pain killers is terrible. But people who are addicted can get help, conquer their addiction and go back to living normal lives.

The same cannot be said of people who live in constant pain and need drugs like this for legitimate pain management purposes. If you do not have problems with constant or extreme pain, I envy you. To take a drug like this off the market because some people CHOOSE to abuse it is unfair to the responsible patients who rely on medications like this to try to lead a normal, functional life.

April 6, 2010 at 13:37 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. karen

I was on a duragesc patch for some months. For those of you unaware of what this is, it is Fentanyl 90x stronger than morphine. As I knew next to nothing about narcotics prior to this, I started reading. I was absolutely apalled (sp) as to the number of web sites etc with people who have been or are on this, plus they take additional 6, 8 10 pills of other narcotic for so called "breakthough" pain.
    For sure some of this is legitimate but some of these people have been on all of this stuff for years and are clueless to know if they ever really still have their chronic pain or what level it is at. Some are outright abusers and the limits they will go through to do these drugs is mindboggling. It literally made me sick reading all of it. And this underground of people seems to be just huge. Their physicians have been prescribing this to them forever it seems without questions. At my request I gradually reduced my dose of Fentanyl to see what my pain level was.
    I was able to get off this entirely and still take only an occasional narcotic, only when I absolutely need it. I live alone and need to function normally, plus I was a tennis player and want to resume that. How anyone can stand being strung out on all this stuff all the time, I will never. never understand.

April 6, 2010 at 13:51 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Ron Bowie, D.P., R.Ph.

Or is this just a new way to knock out the generic competition as they will no be substituable because of the new release mechanism?

April 6, 2010 at 13:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. cjygudwin

Neck and back pain that isn't from cancer or recent surgery should not be treated with long-term with opiates. Opiate users simply cannot or will not admit they have become drug addicts. If you panic when you think of running out of your opiate medication, you are probably an addict badly in need of detox.

April 6, 2010 at 14:34 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. CB Todd

Pain patients need pain medication!!! Doctors are more concerned with protecting themselves than helping their patients.

This drug was a life changer for my wife, who has an incurable degenerative spine condition. She spent months in bed in constant excruciating pain because doctor after doctor refused to help her. Even though she was in constant pain, her primary care physician refused to do an MRI and told her it was psychosomatic!

She eventually found a doctor who prescribed Oxycontin, and she was able to do normal day-to-day activities. Even then, only one pharmacy would fill the prescription – others just refused and one said they reserve the right to confiscate it.

But after one year, her doctor has said that he can no longer write prescriptions for Oxycontin because of political pressure and financial liability. The doctor she has been referred to refuses to write Oxycontin prescriptions and has said that he wants to do surgery on her neck & spine every 3 months even though this is carries a significant risk of paralyzation. He will only write prescriptions for Fentanyl patches which she can't use because she's allergic to the adhesive.

Most of the DOCTORS she's seen JUST DON'T CARE about her PAIN AND SUFFERING. It's been "We can't do anything but you're free to see someone else. That'll be $200." And that's for a 15-minute appointment!

Someone needs to help the patients who desperately need this medication. My wife has said suicide would be better than going through that pain again and I am disgusted by how many physicians would rather help themselves than help her.

April 6, 2010 at 15:02 | Report abuse | Reply
    • jasmine

cb todd,
      you are so right. i hear you and unfortunately your wife's stories not unusual. please don't give up the search for a compassionate dr. who is educated in chronic pain. unfortunately, many are worthless when it comes to helping pain patients. it stumps me how drug addicts seem to be able to find drugs but those for whom the meds are legitimately helpful find it hard to receive appropriate medical care. sorry state we are in. there are also organizations that advocate for pain research and pain patients. my thoughts are with you and your wife.

October 10, 2010 at 12:23 | Report abuse |
  13. GG in NV

Ron Bowie, D.P., R.Ph. – I think you are right. It is primarily a way to keep generic competition off the market. As the article states, it doesn't stop the primary avenue of abuse. Actually, it may create additional abuse for long term highs, as more pills are needed to get "a similar high" that will now undoubtedly last longer.

Purdue Pharma wins, increased sales with no generic option. Everyone else doesn't do so well.

April 6, 2010 at 15:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. AKRR

I woke up screaming in the middle of the night a little over a year ago. I never thought I would be a chronic pain patient.

Neck and back pain with multiple causes, such as mine, unrelated to surgery or cancer many times needs to be treated with opiates– long term. (Imagine having spurs in your neck, stabbing into nerves, along with stenosis, disintigrating disks, and such, plus throughout the upper and lower back.) Intractible pain.

This can't always be treated w/out opiates. It couldn't be treated other ways in my case. Other means were tried, and I use traction and other things to try to prevent further progression and damage, however I am on a large dose of Oxycontin plus breakthrough medication in order just to function. Prior to this, I was in intractable pain and at the end of my rope.

Those of us on long term opiate pain management have to deal with the down side, (no one seems to mention this): awful side effects. I dislike the side effects very much: memory loss, constipation... memory loss being the worst, however, the trade off is well worth it. I will get by on the lowest dose I can in order to cut the side effects Unfortunately, the dose for me has been high, and other than pain relief, it isn't anything pleasant.

I don't know what doses those who abuse it are using, because I can't imagine taking any more than what I take, and I have no "high" or change in mood whatsoever. Perhaps it has to do with addicts taking it sporadically rather than regularly.

I could not live with that pain again. I am not someone who is a "pain wimp". I sufferred from chronic Cluster Headaches for quite a while, and if anyone knows about them, they know it's about as bad as it can get, however, my neck and back put me out more than the Clusters.

Even though my condition isn't one that can improve, I hope to steady it and am lowering my dose currently, by my own choice.

Making these medications difficult to get for those who need them, and cannot live without them, (yes, there have been suicides due to severe pain, untreated), is not fair to those of us who don't abuse them, and as one person said prior, do not get "high" from them, (which is impossible if used correctly... I don't feel as if I'm on any medication, other than the side effects and the pain relief), nor divert them.

I am one of many patients who is being affected by this entire "anti-narcotic" mentality. I will not go into all the details, but the thought of being put on something far more dangerous and less effective frightens me. It isn't only me, there are many people being affected by local governments who are inadvertantly ruining lives of people in legitimate need of pain relief, who use the medication properly, just because some have to abuse it.

When you are a chronic pain patient, this is just not OK.

Addiction and abuse can ONLY be stopped on the DEMAND side. Anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves.

Changing the formula is fine, as long as it still works, but it does seem like nothing but a money-maker for the company.

April 6, 2010 at 15:47 | Report abuse | Reply
    • chemist

people r gonna do what their gonna do. my opinion is try medical pot. here ypo can buy the real deal, it works and nobody ever gets hurt. except ur wallet when you buy munchies. i urge more people to look into medical mary jane.here it is tptally legal as of now as long as u have a card. beats the hell outta lookin like an idiot noddin out n drooling all over yourself. ps,i live in montana n i rolled truck all the way dwn mtn side. believe me,i know all about cronic pain,pills r a joke. pots where its at.

January 11, 2011 at 20:41 | Report abuse |
  15. Jason L.

We may not be able to prevent people who have become heroine addicts because they were prescribed Oxy-contin from abusing the second generation Oxy-contin. But at least the pharma companies will still make billions, and marijuana uses can still be put in jail.

April 6, 2010 at 15:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. AKRR

There ARE types of back and neck pain, spinal problems, not from cancer or surgery, that require long term opiate control. I have such a condition. Oxycontin has allowed me to live life again when I thougt all was OVER.

Public policy based on cutting abuse is a problem for those of us who need the drug legitimately in order to function. (It DOES affect those who use it legitimately for the purpose it was intended.) We don't get high from the drug, (it just doesn't happen), we don't abuse it or divert it... and we suffer unpleasant side effects, however we are able to live.

The only way to stop abuse and addiction is on the DEMAND SIDE. Why can't "the powers that be" get that through their thick heads!

April 6, 2010 at 16:07 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Livey

I have taken Oxycontin, Fentanyl, and am currently on Morphine with oxycodone (the base drug used for Oxycontin) for breakthrough pain; I will probably (hopefully!) take the other two again before I die. These aren't to be used for recovery from surgery they are for long-term chronic illness such as cancer, nerve damage (not injury – damage), bone disease, etc. There are many chronic illnesses that require long-term pain relief besides cancer. Chronic is usually defined as an illness lasting longer than 6-months. I also take many other med (non-narcotic) to help me function. I don't get "high" from the meds I take. That lightheaded feeling one gets from narcotics and other classes of drugs doesn't last long when one needs to take them daily for a long period of time. A lot of truly ill people get addicted because they think when that lightheaded feeling stops the medication is not working as well so they take more than prescribed. Sadly, this isn't the case; the drug is still working. After taking the drugs for a while one's body adjusts to the "feeling" one will get from said drug, but the drug is still working. Many patients do not have this explained to them by a medical professional and link the feeling to the medication working. One also does develop a tolerance to pain medication, even when taking it properly. This will require the patient to take more of the medication to get the same relief but someone who is taking their medication properly will discuss the medication not working as well with their physician(s) and then the doctor(s) can either change drugs or prescribe higher doses. I have had my medications switched around for this reason and have been able to keep the doses lower. Other drugs that may provide relief can also be dangerous. For example, steroids. Steroids can help with swelling, shrink tumors, etc. but they cannot be taken daily, long-term, because of the side-effects. Other drugs that have also proven to provide relief are dangerous to my vascular system, my heart, and can cause kidney damage. Then there are some medications which might provide relief my doctors and I have discussed and decided the risks were too high because possible side-effects include cancer. I can't even begin to comprehend how the FDA approved a drug for use with a cancer causing side-effect.
    Making Oxycontin harder to crush so one can snort or inject it is a good thing. The company should be commended for this because a majority of the people who abuse the pills, even if they started out taking them legally, crush them up and chew them, snort them, or inject them to get the drug into their system all at once for that high. Addicts really don't follow the directions and take the drugs as prescribed. Doctors who write legitimate prescriptions are not going to suddenly double or triple the amount of pills for their patients when the new pills come to market without a lot of hard questions.

April 6, 2010 at 16:09 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. chronic pain patient

@ cjygudwin
    People who "panic" about not having OxyContin are likely not drug addicts who need detox. They are likely people with chronic pain or cancer who worry that some strungout kid in Iowa will ruin it for them. And to all of you saying that only terminally ill people should have access to opiates, think about the worst pain you ever had, And then relive it daily for years. Believe me, dying seems like Heaven at that point.

The bigger problem is that doctors prescribe Oxy and Vicodin to patients without doing a comprehensive medial examination including a physical exam, an MRI/CAT scan or other diagnostic exam, and multiple visits with a pain Psychologist. And insurance is apt to pay for the medication but limit the PT, Acupuncture and other items that could calm the pain down. Leaving you stuck with taking pain medication to function.

Most addicts look forward to taking their pills, most people with chronic pain hate taking pills but are forced to in order to live a semi-decent life. America is obsessed with a quick fix and pain patients requesting alternative therapies are often denied... Thus, the opioid cycle.

April 6, 2010 at 16:16 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. V. Gasparyan

As a pharmacy owner it angers me to see unscrupulous doctors (or legal drug dealers) prescribing this medication to a point that it has become dangerous to be in the business of pharmacy. I think the best way to control the abuse of OxyContin is to require the prescribers to dispense the medication out of their offices. Perhaps after some of these doctors directly experience the desperation, the pain, the anger, and most importantly, the aggression of addiction they will be more careful before prescribing. Moreover, this could give better control to the DEA.
    As to the manufacturer, I think this re-formulation is simply designed to extend its patent. Nothing will be different ten years from now.

April 6, 2010 at 16:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Elfin

Being an ex-oxycodone abuser, I know that this "reformulation" is nothing more than some BS way to make the public think that they're doing some good to the general, unknowing public. I started taking painkillers, specifically oxycodone, around the middle of 9th grade. I started out doing it once every other weekend, then once a weekend, then only on weekends, then only on odd days (Tuesday, Thursday, weekends) and then doing it every day. I was like this till the last day of my junior year, and somehow managed to taper myself down in the last couple months and was oxy-free all of summer. I got my wisdom teeth out a few weeks before senior year, and was given six (6) hydrocodone/acetominophen pills by my dentist/ortho in the 7.5mg/750mg strength. They were done within a few days, and I was able to tough the pain out after. I was clean all of my senior year and into the start of my freshman year in college, but I broke my wrist and was given a bottle of hydrocodone, this time twenty-four (24) 5mg/500mg pills. I took them as directed (one every 4 to 6 hours as needed) but soon it was 2 every 4-6, and then 4. I was able to save a few and taper down again, and haven't used since. I have urges to buy more hydrocodone/oxycodone, but have been able to resist them. I know of a friend who had an oxycodone addiction, and used Suboxone to supplement his rehab program, and he claims that it is almost a miracle drug with withdrawal. Now I'm not trying to shill Sub or anything, I'm just saying what my friend told me about it. Anyone that is in the position I was in, PLEASE seek help. You will be glad you did. I'm one of the very few "lucky" ones that managed to get off them without any help, but please don't try this. Talk to your GP/doctor about a rehab program.

April 6, 2010 at 17:03 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. really

Yeah let's restrict narcotic prescriptions solely to people with cancer or just get rid of narcotics completely. That sounds like a good idea.

Despite what the media may be shoving down your throat, most cases of chronic pain of conditions such as a herniated disc, spinal cord injury, or rheumatoid arthritis (just to name a few) cannot be adequately treated with Aleve and ******* Celebrex.

April 6, 2010 at 17:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Jeff McCrea

While I haven't read all of the posts on this subject, I will say as a 25 year sober alcoholic AND a legal user of MS CONTIN, that's MORPHINE SULPHATE CONTIN, that there are some of us out here that can control ourselves while, at the same time, are controling our chronic pain. I've had 5 spine surgeries since 1985. Four of them were fusions. I went back to work in the warehouse that I used to work in after the first four. The fifth one resulted in a condition called failed back syndrome. My legs feel like I've run the Boston marathon everyday when I wake up in the morning. I used to have a morphine pump which fed a constant, controlled amount of morphine into the nerves of my spine. This worked well for a while but as with any opioid drug, a tollerance is built up and the dosage needs to be increased. They found that if the dosage goes over 12 mg a day that the patient WILL develope a tumor on the spine so this is self limiting. My cathiter became dislodged so I had to go into the hospital and have it replaced. I developed MURSA 3 weeks later and had to have all the equipment removed after nearly dying. I can't take hydrocodone as it has the same effect on my mood and temper that caused me to quit alcohol. I get extremely violent. With my inherently high tollerence for drugs and alcohol that comes with being an alcoholic, no amount of oxycodone is enough to quell the aching and cramping that comes with my condition without pain control. I used to be involved with a pain clinic when I lived in Fla. Now I live in another state north of there and was in with a clinic there until I had my pump removed. My primary care Dr. is also our local Hospice Dr. and is well schooled in chronic pain relief. He and I have an agreement. If he thinks that I am having a problem or am doing anything illegal with my meds, I will submit to any testing or any other processes he sees fit to prove that I need the amount of meds that I am receiveing or he can cut me off at any time which he could do anyway.
    Not only that but If I try to get my scripts filled more than 1 day before I am scheduled to run out, the pharmacy will not fill it. They even count the difference in days of the month like February's 28 days or March's 31. All the pharmacies are interconnected by computer so I can't try somewhere else. It is the same as if someone were to try to buy seudofed from more than one store.
    Just like anything else, someone is always going to find a way around the system if there's enough money in it but for the people like Ryan who question the need for these drugs to be on the market at all, try being in so much pain that not moving is unbearable and any movment at all only makes it worse or try having TERMINAL CANCER like my mother had and have an idiot for a Dr. tell you that he's limiting your pain medication for FEAR OF ADDICTING YOU!!! I mean being that close to a guaranteed end of your life and not being able to live out your last months in relative comfort. My mother was 70 years old and was at little risk of mugging someone for her fix and was definately old enough to know better than to sell her drugs. She didn't have enough to take care of her own needs for crying out loud, (which she also did.).

April 6, 2010 at 19:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Roger

This drug is a poison. It has murdered more people I know from overdoses than all other drugs combined, except alcohol.
    Everyone involved in the production and distribution of this drug should be convicted of murder charges. Ask Corey Haim.
    Can't be done. OD's on Oxy.

April 6, 2010 at 21:48 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Jack

How about letting people make their own decisions? Enough with the nanny state. Are you truly free if the government controls what you put in your body.

I understand that alot of these comments are knee-jerk reactions based on sincere concern, but the Drug War is a failure. Now the people take oxycontin may switch to black-market heroin which is cut with god-knows-what and god-knows-how potent.

April 6, 2010 at 23:52 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. Jack

Also, how do you people justify knowing what is best for other people in terms of medical treatment or anything else. Respect other adults judgement for Christ sake. Addicts will do drugs. The answer is funding recovery and education programs, not banning more drugs. Its worked so well this far huh?

April 6, 2010 at 23:53 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. jason

cjygudwin,
    Anyone who has been on narcotics for awhile will suffer from withdrawals. That alone does not define an addict. So if someone (including a pain patient) does fear running out of medication because they want to avoid going through the pain of withdrawal they are not necessarily an addict in need of detox. That is a very common misconception.

April 7, 2010 at 01:18 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. Susan

I suffered a serious sports related hip injury in June of 2003. Due to some poor initial medical diagnosis, the injury wasn't correctly diagnosed until January of 2004. I had 4 surgeries in less than 5 years on my hip. I was in pain 24/7 prior to this last surgery. Fortunately my doctors understood and supported treatment for the pain. I used oxycodone off and on from February 2004 through December of 2008. I always had it available. The difference was I only used it when I simply couldn't tolerate the pain any longer. And no, I never suffered any withdrawals from using the narcotic. Not everyone who uses a narcotic is going to become addicted. Maybe I'm extremely fortunate not to suffer from an additive personality, but frankly I wouldn't have made it without oxycodone. Nothing else I had access to would relieve the pain.

April 7, 2010 at 10:01 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. Sublime1027

anyone who thinks i'm lying or don't know what i'm talking about, go do some research of your own and you will find out that i'm correct--
    everyone who thinks this will do any good is sorely mistaken
    anyone who knows a junky know that they are very crafty people and will always find a way around these "new formulations" of the same drug they have been using for years; either that or they will just progress to heroin use, which is of course more deadly because no one knows the potency of street heroin
    why don't all of you people who think "drugs are bad and people who use them are bad" first take a look in the mirror:
    do u drink coffee on a regular basis?
    do u drink alcohol?
    and do u smoke cigarettes?
    if you answered yes to any of these, you are using a drug that kills more people than any illegal drug ever has (except for coffee, though that leads to heart damage and addiction.)
    why don't any of you do some real research on the effects of drugs on the human body and also the history of drug use since PREHISTORY. only since drugs were made illegal have they caused a heavy toll on global society.not only that but look at who the illegal drug trade has turned a profit for: the drug cartels, the drug smugglers, and the drug dealers, all of whom use violence in their conflicts. if we were to legalize drugs and regulate them in the same fashion as alcohol and tobacco, companies would be making money, not the illegal drug trade. it would have a tremendous impact on the quality of life not only for the everyday citizen, but also for the drug user. anyone else who needs more proof, look at the drugs that your brain produces on a daily basis:morphine and DMT.
    morphine is an opiate, and DMT is a psychedelic that is produced every night when you dream. every night when u don't remember a dream, it is because you tripped really hard the night before.DMT is completely illegal aka schedule I, and morphine is in the highest level of regulation that has an accepted medical use, aka schedule II
    yet both are illegal for most people to use

April 7, 2010 at 11:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  29. Phil Hartmann

cjygudwin

I have lived in SEVERE PAIN for the past 20 years. I am 48 years old.

I have NEVER abused drugs or alcohol. I don't even drink.

In those 20 years I was given every pill and treatment EXCEPT opiate pain relievers.

Lets just say that if not for my VERY COMPASSIONATE pain management doctor, I would not be here writing this today.

Calling for a BAN of all OPIATE based MEDICINES makes you look like a complete JACKA**.

Regards,

PH

April 7, 2010 at 14:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  30. cjygudwin

Opiate prescribing itself needs to be curbed. The FDA needs to crack down on all these chronic pain clinics that have popped up in all the sunbelt states. Restrict usage to cancer patients, the terminally ill, and short term use after surgery. Not chronic neck and back pain. Keeping people on opiates for back pain long term should be considered malpractice and a reason to lose a medical license. The opiates stop working after a few months, creating drug addicts on high doses stuck in deep denial. Chronic back pain patients never consider themselves addicts but their behavior and thinking around the availability of pills indicates otherwise. The panic is about the possibility of withdrawal, not the pain.

April 7, 2010 at 17:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  31. Phil Hartmann

cjygudwin, a person who has NO IDEA what it is like to live with DEBILITATING lower back pains and spasms clunked on the keyboard,

((Not chronic neck and back pain.))

What if Oxy was the only medication that relieved the pain??

I was on the verge of committing suicide because my chronic pain made my life UNBEARABLE.

You have ZERO understanding of how much the quality of life deteriorates when you suffer from a chronic pain condition

April 7, 2010 at 18:37 | Report abuse | Reply
    • chemist

whaaa. try med mary jane. u sound like ur whole world revolves around the junk. u prob need 2 get cut off. snds like ur totally under the control of the pill. good luck with that.

January 11, 2011 at 20:56 | Report abuse |
  32. Livey

I fear running out of my anti-seizure medications but these aren't drugs to which one would become addicted. I also fear running out of my Lidoderm patches which are a felted polyester rectangle coated with glue for adhering to the skin and that have a 5% lidocaine solution mixed with a time-release agent. Lidocaine is a local anesthetic (numbing medication) and a type of chemical classified as an amide; it is much less likely to cause allergic reaction and will last longer than Novocain, an ethyl ester. Lidoderm patches are also a drug one to which one would develop an addiction. One fearing s/he will run out of his/her meds DOES NOT equal addiction.

Then there is also drug dependency. One can be 100% dependent on a drug or to a number of drugs and not be addicted. Insulin, anti-rejection drugs, heart medication, potassium chloride, etc. are just a few drugs individuals may be dependent on. Chronic pain patients are also dependent on pain relief medication to have some semblance of a normal life.

Stating that pain meds should not be given to someone with back pain and/or neck pain but only for cancer and for short-term use after surgery shows ignorance about the drugs and pain! First, drugs like Oxycontin, Fentanyl, Morphine, etc. are NOT to be prescribed for short-time post surgical pain. It states this in the literature that comes with the medication. Second, Sickle Cell Disease, spinal cord injury, Fibromyalgia, RSD/CRPS (which I happen to suffer from along with spinal cord and thoracic injuries. Don't know what it is? Go to http://tinyurl.com/4zm38 and educate yourself!), nerve damage, rheumatoid arthritis, etc. are just some chronic pain conditions.

The RSD/CRPS I suffer from happens to have the highest score of any medical condition on a pain scale know as the McGill Pain Questionnaire (MPQ). The higher the score the worse the pain. Terminal cancer consistently scores between 25 and 30 while RSD/CRPS has the highest score coming between 40 and 45. The MPQ is a tool used by doctors and researchers all around the world, having been translated into over 25 languages, and the findings for diseases, conditions, and illnesses are the same, regardless of the nation. Before one makes such ignorant statements as, "(r)estrict usage to cancer patients, the terminally ill, and short term use after surgery," one should be more aware of chronic pain conditions, acute pain, and which meds are suited for each. Oxycontin should never be given to someone for post-op surgical pain. It was developed for chronic pain.

Also, one should realize panic over running out of meds is not limited to opiates. Anyone who takes a medication on a daily basis would panic if they were out, be it insulin to control sugar levels, anti-seizure meds to prevent a grand mal seizure, or pain medication to control pain. Making the assumption one is panicking because s/he is an addict is an big awfully presumption by the individual making said statement.

April 7, 2010 at 18:38 | Report abuse | Reply
  33. steve smith

I am appalled at the amount of people who seem to think they know how to treat pain better than medical professionals. I am dismayed at the lack of basic human compassion some "People" (using that word loosely) show to a fellow human suffering incurable pain. At the beginning of the 19th century, morphine and cocaine were legal and widely available and guess what? Crime was nowhere near as high today ( taking in population changes) and jails were nowhere near as full.

You all are polishing the brass on the titanic. This system of malevolence towards our suffering brothers and sisters cannot continue.

What business of yours how a person obtains relief? Maybe you prefer all chronic pain patients kill themselves? Think before you answer that, you may need opoid therapy yourself some day.

April 7, 2010 at 20:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  34. renee

They need to start by cleaning out all the DIRTY DOCTORS.That in my opinion is the root of the problem.I live in a very small town and I have a brother who has been addicted for the past six years.It has been a very long six years for me and my parents.You name it we have tried it, trying to help him and yes after all the broken promises, money lost to rehabs or things stolen and pond we have now realized its out of our hands and its in gods.I am happy its being reformulated{its a good first step} but I also think it needs to be for cancer patients and other terminally ill only.We don't need a pain clinic on every corner of America! I have two little boys {4 and 1} and I panic at the thought of them ever touching a pain pill.I feel like we are all screaming for HELP but no nobody is willing to jump in and save us from this.People freaked out over swin flu becoming an epidemic,and the news was telling of every case in every state {and don't get me wrong it was good to be kept informed} but if they would give every name of every person who has fell victim to pain pills it would be beyond and epidemic.I just pray that God will help the addicted and give strength to families{just like mine} who are also fighting for their loved ones.

April 8, 2010 at 00:01 | Report abuse | Reply
    • chemist

renae ur such a hypocrite. watch for lightning.

January 11, 2011 at 23:55 | Report abuse |
  35. really

Excellent points Livey! Thanks for being one of the few educated commenters on here and dispelling some common myths!

April 8, 2010 at 04:33 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. Jeffrey Ortoleva

The people who oppose opiates as an useful medication and see them only as "Hillbilly Herion" have obviously never suffered from severe chronic pain. I have been disabled with a spinal column disorder for 10 years. I sufferred from debilitating pain for 6 of those years, I am talking of a pain level which causes me to tremble, to feel cold, and at times has lead me to contemplating (to weak of a word), a better word is planning to take my own life. The relief which oxycontin brings me has given me new hope in life. In fact I am currently going to Graduate School for a doctarates degree whereas 4 years ago I could barely get out of bed. Just a word to the wise: because a substance is addictive it is not inherently bad or evil. One must draw the line between functional dependence (where one is addicted to a drug which enables him to function appropriatly on a daily basis) and addiction where the use of a drug intefers with normal function. Check yout premises before you posit an arguement and if you are going to make very broad statements about opiates being useless, dangerous and inherently bad make sure your broad statements take into account all given cases.

April 8, 2010 at 05:42 | Report abuse | Reply
  37. jason

Livey, thank you for explaining that so well!
    I too live with chronic pain and would not be able to get on with my life without medication. I do not abuse it in any way. Yes if I were to stop abruptly I would experience withdrawal as well as increased pain.
    Just because one may experience withdrawal as a result of stopping does not mean they are addicted. There is a clear difference between being dependent upon a medication and being addicted to it.

April 8, 2010 at 05:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  38. Stephanie

cjygudwin and really:

When I was fourteen, I had a serious athletic accident in which I fractured eleven vertebrae and my right shoulder. I'd tell you more about that, but I don't remember it, being unconscience. I was life-flighted several states away, to the only orthopedic surgeon that was even close to qualify to save my life. I was cut from the nape of my neck to my bottom and many of my ribs were removed. Thankfully, the surgeon used a combination of experimental techniques, such as mixing bone grafts from both hips with a special apoxy and several other experimental procedures done by internists. Why internists on a case so serious? Because I was considered as good as dead. A fourteen inch rod was implanted, with screws and pins and cages to steady my spine.

Obviously, I survived, and woke after a medically induced coma was lifted. I was in the hospital and rehabilitation for nearly two years–when I wasn't in rehabilitation, both mental and physical, I was in a back brace. I'd wake up screaming in pain: I would scream when I had to get up to go to the bathroom, scream having to stand long enough to bathe myself. Two days after I came home, I attempted to commit suicide due to the agony I was experiencing. A year after that, I tried again–my life as I knew it was gone at a time when most people begin theirs. My life was just constant pain. Anyone with chronic pain will understand this feeling.
    I am now twenty four and I am doing the best that I am able. I work half-time, I try to take university classes, read, be on the computer, fill my days–but, as a doctor once told me, 'I've never met a chronic pain patient without a mood disorder or a sleep disorder.'
    And he's right, I have both, as does anyone I've spoken with that endures pain every second of every day. Trying to get to sleep, then waking up from that sleep four hours later, not being able to keep food down, the sweating in pain, the tears, and the realization that this will go on as long as I live.
    I have a wonderful orthopedist and the pain medication he gives me allows me to live and contribute. It does not make me high; it gives me enough relief to see my young niece for twenty minutes. Indeed, it doesn't even relieve my pain, just makes it tolerable.
    I am so very, truly sorry to those who have lost their friends and family members to drugs. I myself have lost my father to alcoholism. But, before you demand a retraction of pills and patches for pain, others will lose their lives as well–those who depend on them to have something resembling a life.

April 8, 2010 at 20:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  39. Alden Dean

While watching the segment on deseases caused by polution hosted by Dr. Gupta, I was reminded of the proliferation of deseases and cancers at the Post Office BMC in Springfield, Ma.
    This facility was built over a toxic waste dump. There have been dramatic increases in prostate cancer, breast cancer and exotic deseases not seen in the amount of occurances as in this facility.
    With an employee compliment of 1600, this facility has seen these increases far beyond the national average.
    If Dr. Gupta is doing a section on toxic waste and the deseases the wastes causes, then he should investigate this travesty.
    The Post Office knew full well that the property waste a waste dump for Monsanto and got this property for a song.

April 10, 2010 at 20:35 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Gweieidow

Huh? Sounds interesting but I think ya got the wrong thread.....

September 3, 2010 at 16:17 | Report abuse |
  40. John

There is a HUGE difference between Addiction and Dependence. I have been suffering with three herniations and two broad based disc bulges for the past six months. I wanted to receive non-narcotic treatment which included epidural steroid injections and physical therapy but was met with resistance from my insurance company which investigated for close to five months to determine whether my condition was pre-existing. Being 24, I was seen as a drug seeker by many Pain Management and Orthopedic Surgeons. When I finally found a doctor who performed the required tests to determine my level of pain I have discovered that Pharmacists can make your life a living hell. My mother is a Nurse in a large Emergency Room and has always been cautious in using narcotics, but after seeing how my quality of life has deteriorated over the past year she has become supportive of my pharmacological treatment.

Living with pain that alters the way in which you live your life is not fun! For many of us strong narcotic medications have given us our lives back. Please do not judge if you have never experienced.

April 21, 2010 at 19:49 | Report abuse | Reply
    • terrie s

john,I can relate to your situation whole heartedly i also suffer from many major back problems two herniated discs,L2,L4 degenerative spine,severe scoliosis,and a cluster of tumors which are actually blood clots which are on my spine with the nerves around them a top surgeon in the country examined me after looking at my mri and was almost speechless had no hope to give me now hearing this after i have completed every treatment and the therapy available which included biofeedback therapy,hypnotherapy,physical therapy,electrical shock which eventually led to a portable tens unit i used at home almost forgot the months of injections i had to endure.The specialist informs me everything i have done has inflicted more damage and pain i am not a surgical canadite they would have to cut through the nerves to get at the tumors which would paralize me,therefore i am going to have to be on pain medicaton for the rest of my life.Then i was on a mission to find a good dr.The first dr. i got must of been on crack running from room to room getting nothing done but acting like she was in a race her eyes bulging out of her head her voice was so jittery you could barely understand her i would ask every half hour am i going to be seen soon her response was always your next i was there from 930 in the morning to 730 at night with the same patients with me all day it was now after hours she placed every one together in the same room their had to be at least thirty of us.she then asked us individually what medication we were perscribed brought her list to a doctor sitting in a back room came back and handed out the scripts in exchange for cash.needless to say this was the last time i seen her a few weeks later here flashes a picture of her on the news stateing this drs license was revoked she was working under another dr whom she had stolen a perscription pad from was forgeing his signature and selling them out of her house she got busted and is now doing many years in prison.I have a dr. who i have been seeing for six years now i see him on a monthly basis every time i see him i get the third degree he asked me how im useing the medication.do i smoke shoot or snort it .i guess he thinks everybody abuses it.Ive given him no reason to treat me this way.Im drug tested every appointment,i dont have marks on my arms or have any kind of drug history.it is not my fault ive been delt this hand.The new medication takes to long to work and doesnt seem to be as effective.The ocs cost me 1000 dollars and so do the ops i cant afford this for something that doesnt work. im sure im not the only one that feels this way so therefore i beleive they are going to loose money and eventually the original oxycontin will be back.I want to give a shout out to gwen her grandmother gave me a temperpedic bed I would highly recommend getting one if you have back pain it took a little bit getting used to but for the first time in twenty years i can sleep comfortably pain free all night thanks again gwen

September 30, 2010 at 04:31 | Report abuse |
    • chemist

alot of people dont know, there is a differerence between dependance and addiction. however, the withdrawls are the same. so, what does the difference really make? none. medical marijuana has no withdrawl symptoms'and it doesnt impair your ability to function. no nodding out, drooling, appearing just generally incapacitated. again,you might eat to much. big deal.a friend of mine takes methadone n xanax, he definitely dont feel pain or anxiety. matter of fact he spends his life nodded out. what is the appeal to that? its embarassing if you ask me. again, i did end over ends in a toyota dwn a mountain umteen times. dont tell me about pain. look into medical marijuana.thats the new deal, its harmless, and it works.period. you want energy to get out of bed? exercise, eat right get some coffee, n yes, cowboyup.

January 11, 2011 at 21:38 | Report abuse |
  41. cjygudwin

Giving opiates long-term for non-cancer related back pain leaves patient in a bind. The body responds by growing more pain receptors at the injury site. This means that the patients cannot wean themselves off off the opiate without a great deal of pain accompanied by narcotic withdrawal sickness. The pain itself is no longer a reliable indicator of the extent of injury. It becomes exaggerated. I have heard hundreds of recovering addicts tell me they became addicted originally because of a back injury.

April 22, 2010 at 17:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  42. Alden Dean

I have reactions to a lot of medications. In saying this; I had back surgery almost two years ago. The cages and titanium pins, rods and screws and whatever else titanium inplants put in me not to mention the 10 inch scar in front and the 4-6 scars in back was the most painful operation I had ever had. Thank God for PERCOCET. It took the edge off the constant pain I had from this surgery. But something very interesting happened. After a week, I started to get very sick from using PERCOCET. Yes it gave a high and made me dizzy and sleepy but it also upset my whole system. On the rarest occasions do I now use this drug. I hate the feeling it creates. I guess this says I couldn't be a candidate for being an addict. If this mild form of Oxicontin makes me sick, just imagine what the real deal would do. I would be upchucking all the time.
    One question, what did they do in the real olden days when there wasn't any of this stuff around? Grin and bear it !!!!!!!!!!!
    Unless someone has lower back pain from fractures or discs gone bad, or worse back surgery, then let them come forward and wave the banner.

April 22, 2010 at 20:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  43. cjygudwin

The pathway to IV heroin addiction for most young heroin addicts here in Boston is Oxycontin. Typically it starts with medication stolen from patients or bought from a phony chronic pain patient who makes a living re-selling Oxycontin. The heroin use causes a huge proportion of the crime here. Until Oxycontin is restricted solely to cancer patients and people who have recently had surgey or trauma this crime will continue. The social cost of using Oxycontin as a back pain medication is too high. I also see quite a bit of anger and denial in the comments regarding who is an addict and who is sober. Nobody wants to admit they are a drug addict even when behavior and thinking indicate this is the the case. Even fewer have any interest in getting clean.

April 26, 2010 at 13:19 | Report abuse | Reply
  44. Pain Patient NC

Wow. Lots of ignorance on here.

I'm a chronic pain sufferer, and without oxycontin I would probably just go ahead and kill myself; honestly - not because I'm depressed or sad, but because I just can't take the pain. Call me a whuss or whatever, you don't know until you've been there.

As for the 'new' time release, they're just changing to the 'gel' that is being used in MS-Contin and Opana - not hard to bypass at all, just a dog and pony show. I know many drug addicts, and it's an ongoing joke about how hilarious it is that that these mechanisms are supposed to deter abuse.

Good luck, with that. It won't stop. It won't get 'better'. Nothing will change. Chemicals, cold water extraction, a myriad of other methods - there's always a way.

Carry on FDA.

May 13, 2010 at 13:22 | Report abuse | Reply
  45. Faithfully Yours In Florida

First off from someone who takes this for it's intended purpose, to every person who has ,is or will abuse this drug you deserve what ever comes to you for taking away the resources from the people who really need this .

You should be {but I know you are too busy getting high to read this} a shamed of your self. Your selfish, soulless actions are causing people with REAL NEEDS undue hardships.

If you Die while getting high then though nuggies! {politically correct version}

Next from someone who has to deal with god awful pain & then be forced to jump though hoops ,then be treated like I am one of them that is abusing these drugs is insult to injury, LITERALLY!

It should be tolerated no more.

I am not the enemy yet I am treated like I did something wrong.

I did not ask for this & in the past decade it is the only thing that takes the crippling edge off the pain.

Who are you to judge the real people who need this stuff?

Do you know why you rarely hear from them?

It is because they spend all their time trying to cut through the red tape just so they can survive until the next day ,wondering what will be the next obstacle some simpleton can dream up to make it more difficult to keep the people who do the right thing to keep on doing the right thing.

For Almost a decade I have take this stuff .
    FAITHFULLY!
    Like a religious fanatic & I still remain on the same dosage! whether its a good days & bad days.

Until YOU & YOU & especially YOU! have been through a fraction of what we go through you can't judge.

For the sub humans who just want to get high & die , Hurry up & get er done so I don't have to worry about you mugging me in a Wal- Mart parking lot, Because you will lose.

For the People who work on real solutuions , Who are on the front lines , Making a positive difference I thank you.

For the jerk wads who make my life more difficult than it need to be .
    I don't thank you.

Faithfully Yours In Florida,
    S&TobS&T

{Sick & Tired of Being Sick & Tired}

June 23, 2010 at 01:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  46. Jamie

If Purdue reformulates OC then they will LOSE lots of money. The only reason people get the "name" brand is because of the abuse potential.....if they can't abuse it, there will be no reason to buy name brand and generics will be bought. It's going to be a big loss for Purdue Pharma

June 24, 2010 at 00:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  47. James

Say goodbye to the greatest/cleanest drug ever to be sold on the black market and watch the heroin addictions in this country literally "shoot up". Sad Sad Day, we will miss you OC 80.

June 24, 2010 at 10:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  48. Wzrd1

Knowing the FDA and the current hysteria over analgesia in this country, I'd not be surprised to hear that the reformulation was accomplished by encasing the drug in concrete.
    My wife and I are chronic pain patients. Her, due to a herniated disc that cannot be operated on due to another medical condition that will never reverse.
    Me, a service connected injury or 6.
    We BOTH go through the tortures of hell trying to get pain medication. Even when we go to a pain management specialist, who all throw the entire battery of medicine at us, to no avail and then finally relent and prescribe the narcotic, getting refills later is difficult at best. Primary physicians are afraid to be thought of as enabling addiction, with the DEA entanglements that follow, hence don't want to prescribe effective pain medication.
    The result of chronic pain? Disability, depression, immobility (which causes the root cause to become worse) and loss of income.
    The US is nearly last in the world when it comes to pain treatment research. The TOP TWO pain research nations?
    Germany and Japan.
    I'll not go into how many times I've been told by some idiot "Pain builds character". I'll suffice it to say I immediately improved his character!

June 25, 2010 at 20:43 | Report abuse | Reply
  49. Gweieidow

I totally agree with "Not Fair." WTF?? Does anyone really believe that there are going to be NO MORE abusers of this medication, now that the reformulation is truly in effect?? HAH! As a side note does anyone REALLY believe that Perdue had absolutely NO clue that this medication was a recipe for abuse/misuse when they first released it back in ~1996? COME ON!!! A multi billion dollar industry covers every single angle and then every angle of those angles… This drug’s potential was realized years (maybe a decade(s)) BEFORE it was released?? What? They all of a sudden realized years after its release; “ooops, we goofed up, our bad, man THAT sure was an oversight?” Hah, yeah right, if you believe that then I’ve got a bridge to sell you as well.

These people (B-I-G Pharma) are in bed with the bankers and they are the ones telling the FDA, DEA, CIA and all of the other alphabet organizations out there what to do and when/where to do it. This was planned from day one. I mean these are the same people growing… errr, harvesting… I mean PROTECTING the poppy fields in the first place… come on; they needed ANOTHER method of distribution and getting a NEW generation of people addicted to their crops. This is just a dog and pony to what ends? Maybe someone can enlighten me on this one…

I am a user of this medication as I am a CPP and have been for the last twenty years. Make no mistake, this IS a miracle drug (for me) but if the reformulation is anything like the generics of a few years back then I am in for a re-dosing of the “reformulation” as it took TWICE as many mg’s of the “old” generics to achieve the same relief as the “name brand” medication. Meaning, if I took a 40mg dose of the name brand OC and found relief then it would have taken AT LEAST 80mg of the “generic” medication to achieve the same effect. The “generics” also gave me gastrointestinal discomfort that was almost as bad as my original pain… We’ll have to see what happens with the Perdue’s new OP’s on this front.

It wasn’t broke, so why fix it? If a “junkie” wants to get “high” off of someone else’s prescription then WHAT is going to stop them from doing so now?? Doesn’t it simply mean that they will have to SWALLOW them… What’s the friggin’ difference? Getting high is getting high. Right? Wooooow! Either they are really stupid, they think that we are really stupid or I really am stupid and I’m simply not getting this… at all.

Perdue KNEW this was coming. They knew this from day one. This, of course, is simply my speculation on this matter but come on, are we THAT stupid as to think that this OC release was a MISTAKE, an oops, a blunder, an “oversight?? Fooook, give me 10 Million bucks and I will do the R&D for them. Guarantee an OOPS like this would never happen again.

As for the people who “asked for” or “supported” this new formulation are simpletons. Boot lickers of the big-pharma herd. They think that they are “part” of the big, money churning, establishment. They are made to believe that their voices are ACTUALLY heard. By licking the soles of the monster, pharma companies, that they’re meant to “feel” like they are part of something that they feel that they “are someone.” They’re not! Perdue had this planned from day one, regardless of what these morons said or requested. By these people thinking that they are part of the decision making process of this global monster they are safely kept under foot, ready to be squashed when the timing is right.

I pray that this reformulation will not play havoc on the legitimate patients out there. I would love to hear from ANYONE taking the new OP’s as to their experiences with this “new” formula.

September 4, 2010 at 23:31 | Report abuse | Reply
  50. hanna

I am amazed at the lack of compassion and total inability to be able to empathize. It's easy to 'moralize' isn't it? When your sitting typing away your judegmental and lack of understanding the suffering of chronic pain patients..your sitting there free of discomfort. Are you those who use your middle finger at driver's doing the speed limit? And at the grocer's take your fully loaded cart to the 7 or less items? Step on toes and blame the person for being in the way? Look the other way at the man or women who just got shot from a robbery or run over? Yep..blame other's. And to those who say your an addict if you worry you will run out. I worry if my blood pressure med's run out. Guess that makes me an addict. You know the bible tell's us in the latter day's..people will not have love for their fellow man..nor compassion..they will be cold..they will find ways to hate..in every way. I'm seeing this with many of the comment's.You care not to understand. You blame oxycontin for your kid's 'high' because it's available. I can understand kid's deperate for warmth and love..their parent's never taught them to accept responisbilty for their own action's and their drug addiction is aan attempt to feel something their parent's are not providing..and with the lack of compassion and empathy demostrated in here..no wonder kid's are killing and maiming other's..they have no regard for the welfare of other's. Shame on you!! But it's alway's shame on other's..never you.

September 5, 2010 at 22:40 | Report abuse | Reply