home
RSS
February 23rd, 2010

Keep fighting despite the losses

By Dean Hanan
CNN Fit Nation Triathlon Challenge Participant

A few months ago, before I ventured onto CNN.com’s Fit Nation Web site and got myself into this amazing triathlon training experience, I woke up and ran into the kitchen, prepared some coffee and went outside on the balcony to smoke a cigarette. That had become my morning ritual after September 11, 2001.
[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/images/02/23/dean.jpg caption="CNN Fit Nation Challenge participant Dean Hanan."]
I stared at the Coney Island beach and remembered how I used to run the beach when I was a lifeguard. How easy it was to effortlessly run a mile in seven minutes. And how I used to swim, gliding through the water like a seal.

Being in shape seemed so easy back then. But then you experience life. You suffer setbacks, you lose a relationship, a friend, a job, or money becomes tight. Sometimes it’s a major loss. For me it was losing my aunt at age 8, moving to Florida during my senior year of high school to care for my sick grandparents, losing friends, and almost losing the love of my life on September 11, 2001 when, as a New Yorker, and an American, our hearts were broken.

We all suffer setbacks. Some of us eat a little more, drink a little more, smoke cigarettes or worse. Sometimes we let others down. The hard part is to break down the walls of feeling guilty. Guilt is not what we are supposed to learn from our flaws or mistakes. Life molds us. We can take the good from it and move forward or we can focus on the negative and keep it in us to paralyze us from moving forward. My mom and dad always said obstacles are the things that help us realize how strong we don’t know we really are. They were right. We all suffer setbacks. We all lose jobs, money, loved ones, and things we care about. We all go through the good times and the bad times.

But it’s not about how many times life kicks you down to the ground into the dirt. It’s about having enough guts to turn around, look life back in the face, and tell yourself you are worth it! I cannot give up! I will always fight! No matter how much it may hurt or scare you. No matter how many people think they know you and what you are made of! It’s about getting back up off the floor, dusting yourself off and looking into your own eyes in the mirror and making a decision that we are all capable of: To never give up! To take that small amount of spirit left in your body and to realize that after everything you have gone through…YOU ARE STILL HERE!

You are not alone! You ARE still here! Go get ’em!

1. Dave

Way to go Dean!! Keep strong and positive and all else will fall into place.

February 24, 2010 at 08:17 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Lachman

A very good article by Dean Hanan, its a boost to any one whose morale is down, thanks.

February 24, 2010 at 11:40 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Elle

Thank Dean! I needed to hear that. I went rom 193 to 151 in one year, and then people at work started gossiping the "why's" of my weight loss, making me feel guilty (and why??)over feeling better. This is so wrong. I cannot permit gossip surrounding my diet–my lifestyle change–to take away my motivation–to lower my cholesterol, to remove myself from the statistics of metabolic syndrome, to help me get over the depression surrounding the tragic loss of a friend New Year's Eve '09. I'm worth it!!

March 1, 2010 at 14:18 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Dean Hanan

Elle,

you are definitely worth it! We all are! Our health, physically, emotionally, in every way is the core of our soul. Setbacks shouldn't keep you down permenently. They exist as a test. They are there to shock us and keep us strong! Keep it up Elle, as I will try to keep things up on my end! 😉

March 15, 2010 at 22:16 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Rakesh

Its good to have people like Dean for positive source in life..!!! it really works..

March 26, 2010 at 17:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. zortilo nrel

Hey! I know this is kinda off topic but I'd figured I'd ask. Would you be interested in exchanging links or maybe guest writing a blog article or vice-versa? My website goes over a lot of the same subjects as yours and I feel we could greatly benefit from each other. If you are interested feel free to shoot me an email. I look forward to hearing from you! Superb blog by the way!

February 7, 2021 at 11:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. https://europa-road.eu/

Would love to perpetually get updated outstanding website! .

February 9, 2021 at 04:01 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. network installation

I was recommended this blog by my cousin. I'm not sure whether this post is written by him as nobody else know such detailed about my trouble. You're amazing! Thanks!

February 21, 2021 at 05:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Evonne Fernow

You could definitely see your skills within the work you write. The arena hopes for more passionate writers such as you who aren't afraid to mention how they believe. Always go after your heart. "The most profound joy has more of gravity than of gaiety in it." by Michel de Montaigne.

March 25, 2021 at 01:22 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. storno brzinol

hi!,I really like your writing so much! share we be in contact extra about your post on AOL? I require an expert on this house to resolve my problem. Maybe that is you! Taking a look ahead to look you.

May 13, 2021 at 10:37 | Report abuse | Reply