home
RSS
January 29th, 2010

Haiti babies' survival unsure

CNN Chief Medical Correspondent Dr. Sanjay Gupta was on assignment in Haiti. On Thursday he reported on the challenges facing newborns in earthquake-devastated Haiti.

1. gloria

So why again can't we home study families here in the states be allowed to care for these precious infants and children. I am a licensed minister and a stay at home adoptive mom, please help us help these children. For God's sake this is not human to turn our backs and act as if we are blind.

January 29, 2010 at 14:28 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. debbie

Thanks for highlighting the Maternal/Child issues. I am a UT Memphis BSN, my MSN from Emory and worked in the Emory System as well, Grady, CLH and Egelston ( NNP with Dr. Barb Stoll, Ann Critz etc.) and was hanging on any information coming out regarding neonatal issues. I am coming to Haiti first week of March with my husbands organization...any tips where I could best be helpful regarding L&D, and newborn care....thank you so much, get some sleep!

January 30, 2010 at 00:12 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Luis Midence

Any sightings of Dominican mobile hospitals? They were first responders, much to neighbor's pride.

January 30, 2010 at 21:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Danetta Williams

I have seen so much an want to help! Everyone talks about bringing the children over and how hard it is because there are so many problems, I want to know if I can take in baby #20 and the mother, i would like to help take care of both of them till they are better, has anyone done this yet? take in families with children? I need to know how to find out!!

January 31, 2010 at 03:32 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Rosalind Deck

Why does nobody talk about the role of milk products as a cuplrit in adult health. Milk is a perfect product for rapidly growing bodies, but when we eat/drink it after we are full grown, it the complex proteins have to be broken down and flushed out of our system – along with a lot of useful water soluble food/vitamins. I first learned this from John Robbins of the Baskin Robbins family, who repudiated the millions from his father and uncle's business and lives a simple life growing his own vegs etc.
    He claims that in adults the concentrated milk protein has to be broken down and flushed out of the system along will all water soluble vitamins and other necessary elements – including calcium. In fact – we get NO gain in calcium from drinking milk/eating milk products. I have run this by doctors (including a researcher w 3 PhDs and an epidemiologist) and the reply is "I used to know that!" They learn their nutrition facts in the first few months of 1st year and then forget them! Robbins states that all those food pyramid charts that were put in classrooms were donated by the Milk industry – not Health or Education depts. Read his book "My all be fed" about world hunger – he provides well researched information about the results of drinking milk and milk products after we are full grown. BUT NOBODY IS LISTENING!! Are people afraid of the dairy industry??

February 7, 2010 at 09:09 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Christina T. - Atlanta

Dr. Gupta,

I have an 8 month old daughter and a 5 year old son. I have been putting clothes and shoes together for children their sizes in Haiti. I remember seeing an African-American Pediatrician on CNN. Is he still there working with newborns and their mothers? If so, I would like to send some items there. I have purchased some things that the infants can use (onesies, mittens, t-shirts, pampers, etc.) I just need an address to send them to. Please let me know if this is okay.

February 8, 2010 at 00:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. vicki

I have seen many pics of Haitian babies with swelling / water on the brain. Pics are from before and after the quake. I have not seen the same amount of swelling like that in pics of children in other countries. Am i just coming across unusual pics or is there something causing more of these cases in Haiti?

April 24, 2010 at 02:07 | Report abuse | Reply