home
RSS
January 22nd, 2010

Sonia’s story: Trapped in the rubble

By Elizabeth Cohen
CNN Medical Senior Correspondent

This is Sonia Flury's story, translated by Camala Jourdain, a Miami nurse working in Haiti under the auspices of the Haitian American Nurses Association.

My name is Sonia Flury, and I'm 40 years old, and I live in the Canape Verte section of Port-au-Prince with my 20-year-old daughter, Pascale Delmas.

It was about 4:30 p.m. and I was lying in bed with my daughter when we felt the house started to shake. We felt the house cave in and all the furniture fell down around us. We yelled "Help me, help me," and then we heard cries from the people on the upper floors crying out for help, too. Three stories fell on top of us. Then we felt the roof fall in. The only thing that kept the roof from falling on top of us was that I have a dresser that has three tiers, and the dresser caught the roof.

To read Sonia Flury’s complete story, click here.

Next entry »
  1. Deborah Brehony

Precious Sonia-
    You have bravely endured so much more than any mother of any child should chance to experience. I cannot know if this message will ever reach you, yet I feel compelled to speak out.

You are a Divine Angel in human skin. You did absolutely all that you knew or could have ever known to do for your daughter.

She claims her wings now, and soars with the God/dess of us all.

Bless you for your humanity and your divinity!

"Where I AM, there will you be also."

My tears and my love surround you.

Deborah

January 22, 2010 at 20:16 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Nicole from new Paltz, NY

Thank you for all your wonderful work in Haiti. You are my hero

January 22, 2010 at 22:07 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Brigitte Lowery

My husband and have been watching the reorts on Haiti just about every day.
    We would like to know how we could adopt a child from Haiti.
    I have seen the report on the 18 month old little boy that was all wrapped up on a strecher. I feel a urgend need to help this little boy.
    I myself work in the medical field and we are also adoptive parents
    for two of our many fosterchildren . We have giving up fostering awhile ago on the account of our children but we were looking to adopt another child. Even if it would not be this particular child but we know there are many others. Please give us some advise or help
    we would really appreciated. Thank in advance.

January 22, 2010 at 22:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. pat burlage

I am amazed by the strength and faith of the Haitian people. The whole world is praying for you.

January 22, 2010 at 23:37 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Marc Sowell

I would gladly adopt Monley. If anybody @ CNN can help me with a contact?

January 23, 2010 at 00:44 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Debbie

This is truly a courageous but sad story. This mother shows a strength of a mother's love is endless. It shows another thing the fight to keep your child alive from a mother's touch has no boundaries across the globe.

January 23, 2010 at 01:03 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Michelle H.

Sonia's story is a most profound tale of a mother's faith in her child, in her God. This is one story. So many more are out there. As an emergency management planner, it is essential our humanity allows personal stories like this to shine through. Supporting the psycho-social aspect of people makes a compelling case to ask people to help–just a brief moment to listen. Listen for the hope in others...

Many thanks for the intimacy in sharing Sonia's story. Sonia last four days with her daughter, Pascale, is truly a story of a mother's anguish and delight in letting her daughter go with God.

January 23, 2010 at 01:14 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. lauramroberts07

I'm trying to find out how I can get there to help. I was trained with the red cross in wisconsin. I live in Az now and I contacted them and they state they are not sending folks to haiti. I'm search and rescue trained, I can help. My problem is my husband is a soldier and we don't make the money to send me there. My husband and I sent money to helphaitinow.org and the red cross was one org mentioned, so I'm shocked that they would turn away boots on the ground volunteers. I want to help not just with money but put to use my training from the Air Force. I may be able to help...give me the chance.

Laura M. Roberts
    IReports CNN

January 23, 2010 at 01:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. zaza1

Sonia, you are in my prayers. Your life is a story of Faith and God heard your voice in the midst of the rubbles. May His name be glorified and your life blessed with the things He still have in store for you. Thank you for keeping your promises to God and continue sharing your story with the world.

January 23, 2010 at 11:25 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Guy Ann Sheffield

My heart went out to Sonja during this story. I would love to have her come stay with me as long as she wants until she can get on her feet. I'm a single grandmother who owns her own 3-bedroom house and do a lot of volutneering work in the community and for the police. If she is interested, please have her e-mail me. I have 5 grandchildren and would love to make her life a little easier.

January 23, 2010 at 16:07 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Diana Wilson

Dear Dr. Gupta & Anderson,
    Thank you for reporting to us the events occurring in Haiti; you have show great compassion and logistical understanding. You all have told us what we need to know in order to help-thank you.
    A suggestion I must make to you all who have stayed in Haiti to bring us the progress of relief; please be PTSD debriefed when you come home. At the VA we screen vets coming home with these questions:
    In the past month have you had nightmares?
    Have you avoided situations that remind you of a past bad experience?
    Do you feel disconnected or detached from the events and people around you?
    Do you find that you are vigilant and on guard?
    In the past two weeks:
    Have you lost interest in things that make you happy?
    Several days? More than half the days? All the time?
    Do you feel down, depressed and hopeless?
    Several days? More than half the days? All the time?

Sanjay and Anderson, there is no way you will come home without PTSD; please get care. Please take care of your own selves too!
    Best Regards,
    Diana Cirillo Wilson RN, BSN, PHN

January 24, 2010 at 14:12 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Emily from Virginia usa

God bless you Sonia, I'm so sorry about your daughter, may God hold her and comfort her now and forever. I am heartbroken about your country, and will follow what happens there for years to come. The courage and strength of your citizens have inspired me, and I send my heartfelt prayers and affection.

January 25, 2010 at 09:53 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Liliana

Thank you for Sonja’s story. It is stories like these that show how similar we all are magnify our common humanity. Please keep writing about individuals and their problems and issues.

January 25, 2010 at 10:01 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. MGA

Dr.Gupta.....
    Thank you for helping us in Haiti.....

January 25, 2010 at 10:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. sooguenuh

Whether there are at you children? You love children?
    How many at you children? Children give pleasure and happiness.

February 19, 2011 at 03:11 | Report abuse | Reply