home
RSS
April 28th, 2009

More swine flu answers

CNN is helping you get answers about the outbreak of swine flu. Here are more of the most frequently asked questions from viewers.

Q Is it still safe to eat pork?

CNN: Yes, pork is safe to eat. You cannot catch swine flu from food, according to U.S. Department of Agriculture scientists. Also, there is no evidence touching raw pork infected with the virus poses a risk, the USDA says. Cooking pork to an internal temperature of 160 degrees kills all viruses.

Q: Is there any type of vaccine that exists for this virus?
CNN: There is no vaccine that has been developed specifically for this virus.

Q: Different news sources have conflicting information about the number of countries affected so far. How many countries have been affected by this outbreak?
CNN: By midday Tuesday, the World Health Organization had confirmed cases in Mexico, the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Spain and New Zealand. The Israeli health ministry is reporting two cases.

Q: I am traveling to Mexico. Are there any precautions that we should take to protect ourselves?

CNN: At this time, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends that U.S. travelers avoid all nonessential travel to Mexico. Changes to this recommendation will be posted on the CDC Web site .

If you must travel to an area that has reported cases of swine flu, the CDC recommends anyone at high risk of severe illness from influenza –people with chronic conditions such as diabetes, lung disease, heart disease and the elderly - are urged to take prescription antiviral medications - Tamiflu or Relenza - for prevention of swine influenza during travel. Practice healthy hygiene, such as washing your hands often with soap and water, using hand sanitizers with at least 60 percent alcohol, and avoid close contact with sick people, to help stop the spread of swine flu.
Travel expert Peter Greenberg gives advice to the question: “Should people avoid travel?”

For more information, go to Answers to swine flu questions.
and check back on Dr. Gupta’s blog for answers to frequently asked questions.

Filed under: Global Health • H1N1 Flu

1. Indu

Dear Sir,
    A small suggetion from me.
    I think this flu can be controlled atleast 50%
    by closing all the schools in US for atleast 2-3 weeks
    & the lost classes can be conduct ed during vaccation time
    or can be decided by educationalist.As all know schools are
    the epicentres of most flu type illness.

April 29, 2009 at 10:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Carol

Link to CDC Brochure on swine flu in pigs & related vaccines for herds:

April 29, 2009 at 16:49 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Dee

I was in the Dr.s office yesterday. I was in the waiting room and waited about 40 minutes. A girl and her mother came out and sat directly across from me. This was a small area, as the office is a converted trailer. The girl was coughing up her lung, so I told the receptionist I was going outside to wait. I looked at the mother and told her it was nothing personal, I have a 5 month old granddaughter at home and I have an autoimmune problem. The mother told me I needed to go outside, b/c her daughter has the H1N1!!! Not only was the girl not covering her mouth with a tissue, the Dr. didn't worry about giving her a mask OR keeping her away from the waiting room AFTER diagnosing her!!! As well, there was a Mom and NEWBORN that had waited with me in the waiting room!! I asked the Dr. about it, and she just said it wasn't a problem unless I had an autoimmune disorder..DUH..

Questions: What are the chances I have been infected? Is there a good possibility I have brought this home to my daughter (29) and 5 month old Granddaughter? How long should I isolate to be sure they don't come down with this virus in the event I have contracted it?

September 2, 2009 at 07:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. ブランドスーパーコピー

スーパーコピー豊富に揃えております、最も手頃ず価格だお気に入りの商品を購入。
    弊店はロレックスコピー、パネライスーパーコピー、ウブロ時計スーパーコピー、IWC時計コピー、ブライトリングコピー等を販売しているコピー時計屋です。
    ロレックススーパーコピーを主に世界一流のブランドスーパーコピー時計を取り扱っています。
    2019年最新スタイルの長財布で、品質もいいです。
    このサイトをご覧ください
    ブランドスーパーコピー https://www.yutee007.com/brand/list-146.html

August 31, 2020 at 10:43 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. zortilo nrel

Have you ever thought about creating an ebook or guest authoring on other sites? I have a blog based on the same subjects you discuss and would really like to have you share some stories/information. I know my visitors would enjoy your work. If you are even remotely interested, feel free to shoot me an e-mail.

February 7, 2021 at 05:15 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Europa-Road

Hmm it seems like your site ate my first comment (it was extremely long) so I guess I'll just sum it up what I wrote and say, I'm thoroughly enjoying your blog. I as well am an aspiring blog blogger but I'm still new to everything. Do you have any helpful hints for novice blog writers? I'd certainly appreciate it.

February 9, 2021 at 03:16 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. storno brzinol

Hello there! This is my 1st comment here so I just wanted to give a quick shout out and tell you I truly enjoy reading through your posts. Can you recommend any other blogs/websites/forums that deal with the same topics? Thanks for your time!

May 15, 2021 at 16:28 | Report abuse | Reply