home
RSS
October 1st, 2008

Sleepless in Atlanta

By Georgiann Caruso
CNN Medical Associate Producer

Many of us wake up in the middle of the night making mental to-do lists. Sound familiar? I am guilty of this. A recent visit to my doctor ended with the diagnosis: anxiety. After trying an assortment of medications, I sometimes still wake up only to realize it's 4 a.m.

Dr. David Schulman, director of Emory's sleep lab center, says a third of Americans have insomnia, including trouble falling asleep as well as trouble staying asleep, a reflection of our high-stress society.

My doctor prescribed a sleep study, and today's the day. My mind is full of racing thoughts. What if I can't sleep to give them something to study? What exactly IS a sleep study, anyway?

Here’s how it went: Studies such as mine look at everything from stages of sleep to blood oxygen levels and the amount a person snores, says the National Sleep Foundation.

Attaching electrodes to my body - my legs, nose, temples and jaw area - took about 45 minutes. I had less trouble sleeping than I anticipated. The technician showed me a bit about how she could tell when I was asleep by watching my brain activity waves. A small video camera in the corner of the room allowed her to monitor me constantly. A two-way speaker system allowed me communicate with her. When I had to get up to use the restroom in the middle of the night, the technician easily unhooked and reconnected me.

Now, I have to wait a couple of weeks for the results. Sleeping while wired up was not nearly that bad in hopes of a real solution to a real problem.

Have you experienced problems sleeping? What did you do?

« Previous entry
  1. Curtis

The worst part of the sleep test-getting the electrode "goo" out of my hair after both of my sleep tests. However, this was a small price to pay for now being able to sleep through the night.
    I use a CPAP machine for about 6 hours each night. Ususally, sometime in the early hours of the morning I wake up, remove my nasal mask, roll over and go right back to sleep for thenext hour or so.
    I have gone from waking every few hours, late night trips to the bathroom and having my wife worry about my snoring to getting sound, quality sleep – every night. I now have more energy, an improved temprament (according to my sons) and feel better overall.

October 2, 2008 at 09:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Lee, Yorktown Virginia

1. Take a dose of calcium and magnesium at bedtime

2. Drink a cup of water with 1/4 to 1/2 tsp of sea salt at bedtime.

3. Eliminate ALL light sources in your sleep area.

4. Use a small fan in your bedroom for some low-level white noise.

5. Don't watch any television within 3 hours of going to bed. Don't use the computer within 1 hour of bedtime. Use low level lighting in the evening. Reading with low-level lighting does not hurt your eyes.

6. The right kind of exercise at the right time improves sleep. This internet article boils it down to the following: 1) Time your exercise five to six hours before bedtime, 2) Make your exercise vigorous enough to make you sweat a little. Previous studies have shown that non-aerobic stretching and concentration exercises alone did not impart sleep, 3) Stick with it! Participants in this study did not report improved sleep until they had been exercising for 16 weeks.

7. Get yourself checked for a thyroid disorder with possible adrenal stress.

October 2, 2008 at 11:15 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Jeffanne

Prior to taking a very important exam, I had a very hard time falling asleep. While in college, I'd be sleepy around 12am-1am. But when the test date was coming up, I'd be sleepless for nights on end. I remember one night telling myself I will take a practice exam the next day. I didn't fall asleep at all. This kept on until I took the test. I gradually got back to my regular sleeping cycle but before that, I'd have to take sleeping pills (Tylenol PM, non-addictive) in order to fall asleep. Now, I'm "sleeping" but dreaming about things I will have to do the next day. It's annoying for me, since I love sleeping, and I'm trying to get back to where I can sleep on my own. Now, I read books and clean before going to bed. It helps me settle down a bit so I can catch some Zzz's later on.

October 3, 2008 at 02:03 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. purchase geodon

My spouse and i felt now fulfilled that Ervin could deal with his investigation out of the ideas he got out of the web page. It's not at all simplistic to just choose to be giving freely instructions that many other folks have been selling. And we also figure out we have the website owner to be grateful to for that. The entire explanations you have made, the simple site menu, the friendships you can give support to engender – it's got everything fabulous, and it's really facilitating our son and the family feel that the issue is enjoyable, and that is incredibly indispensable. Thank you for all the pieces! https://geodonziprasidone.com/

January 8, 2021 at 08:17 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. seroquel prices

I am commenting to let you know of the great encounter my friend's daughter found reading your web page. She figured out numerous issues, not to mention what it's like to have a wonderful giving mood to have men and women really easily have an understanding of selected hard to do subject areas. You really exceeded our own expectations. Many thanks for imparting the interesting, safe, explanatory and even easy thoughts on the topic to Janet. https://seroquelquetiapine.com/#

January 10, 2021 at 00:45 | Report abuse | Reply