home
RSS
September 1st, 2008

Gustav: Things are going to be different

By Dr. Sanjay Gupta
Chief Medical Correspondent

Three years ago, I covered Hurricane Katrina. At the time the hurricane made land fall, I was attending a family funeral in Denver. Like many people I watched the reports on television and heard the hospitals had been evacuated. At the same time, however, doctors from Charity hospital were emailing on their dwindling blackberries telling me they were still caring for around 200 patients and they had lost their emergency generator power and were without adequate food and water.

After checking with my wife and kissing my 3 month old daughter good bye, I caught the first flight to Baton Rouge and then a helicopter to the parking deck next to Charity. As a physician, I couldn’t believe my eyes. There were patients as far as my eyes could see on the parking deck. They had been brought by boat across flooded streets, most of the water above my head. They were then carried on stretchers and backboards up 8 flights of stairs to wait in the oppressive southern August heat. For those with breathing tubes, diligent nurses sat there pumping air into the patient’s lungs. Second after second they pumped, for hours, even a full day on end.

So many mistakes were made. The generators failed because they were in the basement and malfunctioned at the first sign of flooding. The attempt at evacuations came too late, and patients were stuck in awful conditions. There is no question, with better planning, some hospital patients who died after Katrina could’ve lived.

Over the past days, I have toured many of the hospitals here in New Orleans in advance of Gustav. One thing is immediately clear. Things are going to be different this time. While in medicine, we can never be over prepared – many of these hospitals seem to be setting a new standard with regard to preparation. Most of the evacuations were done well in advance, with ambulances from several states parked outside Tulane hospital. At East Jefferson in Metairie, decisions were made several days ago to keep the hospital open but to evacuate several tiny babies from the neonatal ICU. Generators are now located in water tight compartments and the hospitals themselves have been fortified with seemingly indestructible steel beams. In the typical ambulance bay, there are now seven ton rescue trucks designed to handle flood waters and street debris. Today, the hospitals may be the safest buildings in all of New Orleans.

During a storm, a hospital is like any other place. With limited communication and running on emergency power, dozens of doctors and nurses hunker down and stand by. They know their calls will likely come in the hours and days after the storm passes. We will be here with them.

My daughter is now 3 years old. Along with her 19 month old sister, they have been sitting with their mom and watching the hurricane. “Oooh, daddy. Stay dry. Lots of rain and wind,” was the message I just received on my cell phone. Many here in New Orleans are hoping that’s all there is.

« Previous entry
  1. Danielle

Gustav seems to be taking the same direction that Hugo was; well at least thats what my math teacher has been telling us. I'm hoping that Gustav will be different like you say, it brings hope and it actually makes me reasured since I was emotionaly affected by the results of hurricane Katrina.

Thank you for the information provided, and I know for certain now that Gustav WILL be different and be provided with more help if and when necessary.

September 8, 2008 at 14:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Vera

I contacted him for marriage help, He only said to me that i have come to the right place were i will be getting my heart desire without any side effect.He told me what i need to do,After it was been done,24 hours later,My Ex Husband called me on the phone and was saying sorry for living me and the kids before now and one week after my Husband called me to be pleading for forgiveness, I am so happy and overwhelmed that i have to tell this to the entire world to contact Robinson Buckler on his personal email address and get all your problem solve..No problem is too big for him to solve..He also cure herpes, Contact him for herpes cure too direct on: Robinsonbucler @{{gmail.}} com.https://robinbuckler. com....💕”💕”

December 10, 2020 at 12:22 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. loan

Thanks for your own work on this website. My mother take interest in participating in research and it is simple to grasp why. My spouse and i notice all relating to the powerful way you provide valuable tips via your website and in addition recommend response from visitors on this subject matter while our own simple princess is undoubtedly studying so much. Take pleasure in the rest of the year. You have been performing a tremendous job. https://fenrzusjzneki.online/

January 6, 2021 at 19:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. cannabis oil

Needed to write you this very small word to help thank you very much yet again with your wonderful views you have shown on this website. This is so wonderfully open-handed with you to supply without restraint what exactly some people would have supplied for an electronic book to make some profit on their own, specifically since you might well have tried it in the event you wanted. Those tricks likewise worked to provide a great way to understand that the rest have the same zeal the same as my very own to understand whole lot more with respect to this problem. I think there are thousands of more pleasurable times up front for those who view your website. https://nujemznuedi.online/

January 6, 2021 at 21:00 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. vardenafil vardenafil

Thank you for every one of your hard work on this web page. My aunt really likes making time for investigations and it's really obvious why. Most of us learn all of the lively mode you offer precious suggestions through this web site and even increase participation from some other people on the matter so our favorite girl is now learning a lot of things. Take advantage of the rest of the year. You are always doing a really great job. https://joneslawncarela.com/

January 6, 2021 at 23:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. purchase imipramine

My wife and i were so relieved when Peter managed to finish up his studies while using the precious recommendations he received when using the weblog. It is now and again perplexing to simply happen to be offering thoughts which usually some people might have been trying to sell. We see we now have you to thank for this. These illustrations you made, the straightforward website navigation, the relationships your site make it easier to promote – it is mostly superb, and it is letting our son in addition to us recognize that this theme is pleasurable, which is certainly unbelievably serious. Thanks for the whole thing! https://tofranilimipramine.com/#

January 9, 2021 at 09:58 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Increase Views

very interesting information! .

February 3, 2021 at 13:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. ClarkTauts

2kv8o 3vpi2 qp4n

March 2, 2021 at 00:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Claretha Campagna

Merely wanna comment that you have a very decent site, I like the design and style it really stands out.

March 6, 2021 at 13:53 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. szybki test na przeciwciała koronawirus

Ja naprawdę wartość twoją dzieło, Świetny post szybki test na przeciwciała koronawirus szybki test na przeciwciała koronawirus. https://testkoronawirusn.pl/

March 15, 2021 at 05:58 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. strzykawki insulinowe

Dzięki za zaleceń dotyczących naprawy kredytu na temat tego niesamowitego witryny. Kilka rzeczy i chciałbym powiedzieć ludziom zawsze zrezygnować z konkretnej mentalności mogą dzisiaj i wypłać później. Like a as be a} społeczeństwo {my|my wszyscy|my wszyscy|wielu z nas|większość z nas|większość ludzi} ma tendencję do {robienia tego|robienia tamtego|próbowania tego|zdarzyć się|powtórz to} dla wielu {rzeczy|problemów|czynników}. Obejmuje to {wakacje|wakacje|wypady|wyjazdy wakacyjne|wycieczki|rodzinne wakacje}, meble, {i|jak również|a także|wraz z|oprócz|plus} przedmiotów {chcemy|chcielibyśmy|życzymy|chcielibyśmy|naprawdę chcielibyśmy to mieć}. Jednak {musisz|musisz|powinieneś|powinieneś chcieć|wskazane jest, aby|musisz} oddzielić {swoje|swoje|to|twoje obecne|swoje|osoby} chcą {od wszystkich|z potrzeb|z}. {Kiedy jesteś|Kiedy jesteś|Kiedy jesteś|Jeśli jesteś|Tak długo, jak jesteś|Kiedy} pracujesz, aby {poprawić swój kredyt|poprawić swoją zdolność kredytową|zwiększyć swój kredyt|zwiększyć swój kredyt|podnieś swój ranking kredytowy|popraw swój kredyt} wynik {musisz zrobić|zrobić|faktycznie potrzebujesz|naprawdę musisz} dokonać kilku {poświęceń|kompromisów}. Na przykład {możesz|możesz|możesz|możesz|będziesz mógł|| możesz|prawdopodobnie możesz} robić zakupy online {aby zaoszczędzić pieniądze|aby zaoszczędzić pieniądze|aby zaoszczędzić} lub {możesz przejść do|może się zwrócić|może odwiedzić|może obejrzeć|może sprawdzić|może kliknąć} używane {sklepy|sklepy|detaliści|sprzedawcy|punkty sprzedaży|dostawcy} zamiast {drogie|drogie|drogie|drogie|drogie|drogich} domów towarowych {dla|w odniesieniu do|dotyczących|odnoszących się do|przeznaczonych dla|do zdobycia} odzieży {strzykawki insulinowe 1ml|strzykawki tuberkulinowe|strzykawki|strzykawka|strzykawki insulinowe|strzykawki do insuliny|strzykawki trzyczęściowe tuberkulinowe|strzykawka tuberkulinowa|strzykawka insulinowa|strzykawka do insuliny|strzykawka trzyczęściowe tuberkulinowa}. https://strzykawkin.pl/

March 15, 2021 at 10:11 | Report abuse | Reply