home
RSS
August 25th, 2008

Brown recluse is well, pretty reclusive

By Matt Sloane
CNN Medical Producer

I hate spiders. I have always hated spiders, and until last week, I thought I always would hate spiders. But then, in a building reminiscent of a 1970s government office building, I had an experience with spiders that I won't soon forget.

As I walked into her office at the University of Georgia, Dr. Nancy Hinkle, a veterinary entomologist, started to quiz me about the spiders she had sitting on the window ledge in petri dishes. "Which one is the brown recluse spider?" she asked. Being a novice, I picked the biggest, nastiest, hairiest-looking one and said "that's it!"

"You picked the same one as my grad student did,” Hinkle said. “So congratulations, but you're not correct."

Matt – 0, Spider Lady – 1.

Dr. Hinkle gave me a hint about the brown recluse, "They call it the fiddleback spider, because it has fiddle-shaped marking on its abdomen.”

She challenged me again. This time I picked out the wolf spider, which has a banjo-shaped marking on its back (remarkably similar to a fiddle, I might add, on a spider that small).

Matt – 0, Spider Lady – 2.

What I came to find out in that next hour was that the brown recluse was not much scarier looking than your common house spider. The brown recluse is the subject of urban folklore, and for good reason: Its venom, pound for pound, is one of the most toxic substances known to man. But, true to its name, the spider is reclusive. As Hinkle put it, "If you actually see a spider, chances are it’s not a brown recluse."

Very comforting.

In addition to the brown recluse spider being reclusive, it's only found in a few areas of the country, primarily in the midwest, spreading into parts of the southeast. Oh, and one other thing. The brown recluse takes months to make enough venom to kill its prey, so chances are, it won’t waste it on you – something way too big for it to kill – because it would go hungry for a few months.

Still worried that a recluse will come after you? Consider this - the chances of the "fiddleback" spider being in your home, coming out of hiding, biting you, and injecting venom into you are slim. Even if it did, experts say about 95 percent of brown recluse bites go away without complications. But, if you are one of the unfortunate few who do have a bad reaction, you should go to a doctor immediately. Brown recluse venom can cause major damage to tissue surrounding the bite, as well as tissue along the path the venom takes through your body. If it makes its way into your bloodstream, it can cause a condition called hemolysis, where red blood vessels actually burst. The condition can become life threatening.

All in all, I'm still afraid of spiders, but a little less so than before I met Hinkle. Have you had a run-in with a brown recluse?

« Previous entry
  1. Sandi

This article of the reclusive brown spider, is this the same spider that if bitten, the venom with destroy and continue to destroy your skin tissue up to a year?
    Is there another brown spider that does this, if this is not the one. I have a family member inthe military who just recently got bit by a brown spider of some sort and there is no antivenom and they place him on antibiotics for 3 weeks. He is ok now, but the skin surrounding this bite is deteriorating and continues to do so, leaving a dent in his arm. Can you give me some info on this spider. He also was in the midwest areas.

August 25, 2008 at 15:00 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Vince

I beleave the hobo which is found out west also can cause that type of reaction.

August 25, 2008 at 15:59 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Meghann

I was bitten by a brown recluse spider in Arizona when i was eight years old visting a relative. While it was in my sleep – the next morning I awoke to the back of my leg having two large puss sacs and blilsters surronding the bite. I immedialty went to the Dr. and remember him cleaning the bite and the area around it and then had the best tasting medicine for the next two weeks of my life. I can't say for sure if the bite itself was painful but the aftermath was more bothersome and scarry for a 8-year-old than anything else. it was pretty ugly too

August 25, 2008 at 19:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. ER Doc in Virginia

Many patients show up claiming to have been bitten by a "brown recluse" but in a decade of practice I am yet to see a real brown recluse envenomation. Most "spider bites" I see in my practice are simple skin boils. Of course these days this means MRSA, but still, nothing to do with spiders. Black widow spiders are very common around here, but I've seen only 2 or 3 envenomations – they are pretty skittish about biting humans.

August 25, 2008 at 22:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Jason

I live in Michigan and was not a victim of a bite, but was made aware of a man who was bitten by a brown recluse that was in load of limestone that was delivered by a landscaper. The man didn't realize it was a brown recluse bite until his leg swelled to double the size, and then the swelling continued upward (and apparently, internally). When he finally had chest pain and pressure (after the 4th day) he went to the emergency room. Has been on an i.v. antibiotic for three weeks and will continue to do so for another 3-6 months.

August 25, 2008 at 23:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. ravenne

My husband was bitten by a brown recluse in our (upstate NY) home about two years ago. The reaction was so bad that the tissue for several inches around the bite started to turn black, and he had a high fever, shaking chills, and nausea. We had no idea what it was. When he finally went to the urgent care center, the doc rounded all the other docs up to come in & take a look because recluse bites are so unusual in the northeast. They put him on antibiotics and sent him to a plastic surgeon because they were expecting tissue around the bite would have to be excised. The plastic surgeon was from the Midwest and told us he used to see recluse bites out there all the time, but this was one of the most impressive ones he had ever seen. He actually took photos!! All the tissue actually recovered, despite medical predictions, and all ended happily, but I personally am much more afraid of spiders than I was before 🙂

August 25, 2008 at 23:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. rick

Vince is correct, the "hobo" spider resembles the brown recluse, lives in the Pacific Northwest and carries venom causes similar infections. One of the possible side-effects of recluse and hobo bites is the tell-tale "deadening" of the skin around the bite. The "dent" that Sandi refers to could last for several years and the infection may recur in other parts of the body.

August 25, 2008 at 23:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Mary

A former neighbor of mine died due to a brown recluse bite.

August 26, 2008 at 00:52 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. jennyr

I was bitten last year across the street from my apt building here in Waikiki, It was really bad i had my whole right thigh in a fever sort of look...after 3 days i coulnt walk and i had found the 2bite marks.. and for some reason pushed out most of the puss out..but the next day i had black lines going through my leg..and it was throbbing soooo bad that i had to go to the hosital and have surgery to remove the bitten area..it was really hard the area it felt liek a tennis ball size lump..painful to touch..anyways they had to cut it open and i now have a 2inch scar on the back of my thigh from this lovely creature...fyi..when i got bit i was sitting on some rocks.that ive sat on before, many time in fact..this time i had shorts on and just thought i'd scrapped my leg..that all i felt...anyways i'm all good now...just a really frightening exprience..i didnt even mention the part where before the hospital i went to a clinic because i wasa poor college student..and no meds, the p.a just cut into my leg..ouch..anyways he resides at Discovery Bay, Waikiki Side, Honolulu.Hawaii

August 26, 2008 at 03:40 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Lisa

Don't assume everyone is right when they tell you it's a spider bite. Our family went through 2 years of incorrectly diagnosed "spider bites" to then find out it really was MRSA infections, which can only be diagnosed by doing a culture.

August 26, 2008 at 06:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Dana

My stepmother was bitten by a brown recluse that had made it's way into her closet and into a pair of pants that had dropped from a hanger onto the floor. She had a nasty bite on her thigh and was required to take antibiotics. So some advice – although they are reclusive, you can run across them. Shake out clothing that has been packed away in a closet or on the floor before you put it on. Use caution when cleaning out areas that have not been disturbed for some time as they can hide out in closets, drawers, etc.

August 26, 2008 at 11:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Carolyn Zell

The brown recluse is a special problem when you have a shake roof. This is because the spider especially like silver fish which live on the insulation, under these shingles. . This is one of the most important sources of food for the brown recluse.

First you must have your attic space sprayed. This reduces the food supply. Then you need to have a specialized person spray each room for the spider. ( Every 3 months in spring and summer ) Sticky papers ( like we used for catching flies ) can be placed under the beds– in closets– in storage areas. It is important to spray utility rooms , and where you have placed your air conditioner and your furnace. You will not believe how many spiders are stuck on these papers. You can replace them every 3 months.

As a laboratory person, I can tell you the bite destroys tissue, and makes a cone shaped crater where it bites. The pain is great. Their most active season is April to Sept. ( Mating season ) But you must always protect yourself year round. Carolyn Zell

August 26, 2008 at 11:48 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Susan

I was bitten many years ago on the elbow (Eastern Shore of MD), but was unaware at the time. I developed flu-like symptoms, feverish and Was very tired . Eventually incredible pain set in along with swelling in my elbow. I went to the local ER after swelling caused my elbow to become enormous and there were red streaks headed up my arm. I was started on an oral antibiotic, but it did not come close to touching the problem. Soon after I was given pain meds and short-stay IV antibiotic which did nothing, finally someone aspirated the fluid in my elbow. I had developed a staff infection and they decided to operate on the spot. The theory was that I had been bitten 4 times on my elbow by a brown recluse (which I could not see) and the venom went right to the bursa in my elbow, when they operated they found the entire bursa was necrotic and removed it. I continued on oral antibiotics for several months and have fared well without the bursa. I am not fond of spiders.

August 26, 2008 at 14:23 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. David

Il ive in Western Kentucky and work in Southern Illinois. We have brown recluse spiders up the wazoo in this region and I can name MANY people who have been bitten by them and have the scars and deformities to prove it. The bites of these spiders can cause severe ulcering wounds and cause frequent amputations of toes, etc when people have been bitten by spiders in their shoes. Even when you do not have a severe reaction, the wounds can take weeks if not months to completely heal.

August 26, 2008 at 14:25 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. CP

My dad was actually bit by a brown recluse in his home in DC about 25 years ago. he was moving chairs in a basement where it was living and bit him on his leg (just below his knee) it was irritated and clearly infect but nothing alarming..Until he had his friend who is a doctor look at it and said he had gangreen and needed medical attentino asap. He almost lost his leg and now, almost 30 years later, still has a indented scar the size of a fist on his leg

August 26, 2008 at 17:01 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. tippersma

Be careful of what you call a spider bite. There is an epidemic of MRSA. MRSA is common in the young school age children, teens and 20 -30 year olds especially those who work out at the gym. Good handwashing,washing of equipment etc is important. MRSA looks like a spider bite and behaves like one unless properly treated.

August 26, 2008 at 17:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Susan

My neice lived in Arizona about two years ago. She was doing yard cleanup of dead wood and brush and was bitten in two different places on her legs. Within a short time span of that day, she became sick and was taken to the emergency room. The physician told her family that she had been bitten by one or more brown recluse spiders. They gave her some antibiotics and other medications to make her confortable and sent her home. Later that night she had become dilerious and was taken back to the hospital where she died a few days later. I don't know about how reclusive they are when you are working outside. I believe she died because she was a very small woman at 90 pounds and had serious allergies all her life .

August 27, 2008 at 15:43 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Jeff

Sandi,
    That is indeed the bite of a brown recluse spider. They are a common nuisance to military folks who spend time outside in the boondocks, especially in hot, wet regions like army bases tend to be in. The brown recluse may be very rare in your HOUSE, but outdoors, particularly if you are laying in the prone in a trench or foxhole your chances of encountering spiders are much more likely.
    I was in the army and saw some guys with similar bites. The actual bite is painless, so you may not know you have been bitten, but after a while the venom dissolves localized tissue and results in a "dent." If not treated quickly, it can get out of hand and infected. The army tries to raise awareness of pests like recluse spiders, ticks, fire ants, and black widows, and even snakes, but there is often failure to bring problems to your chain of command for fear of being labelled a malingerer, weak, or lazy and trying to get out of training, even when one has a legitimate health concern.

August 28, 2008 at 02:59 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. greg

I grew up in kansas and my house was always infested with brown recluse during the spring and summer. Seemed like everytime we moved a piece of furniture we'd find one and my father was always killing them. I don't think any of my family was ever bitten though.

August 28, 2008 at 06:45 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Anneliese

tippersma has good advice. Any unusual rash or suspected spider bite should be seen by a doc.

In my case, I am a walking mosquito magnet. Not only that, but I'm allergic to them and get welts the size of a marble with redness spreading 2" out.

Ironically, though, I can usually tell right away if it was a mosq or something else that got me. It just 'feels' different.

In my area, we have had an oubreak this summer of those nasty tree mites that leave painful itchy welts where they get you.

Aren't bugs fun?

August 28, 2008 at 13:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. RN

We had a patient come in who had been in Missouri and slept on a fold out bed which had been stored for a long while. The spider was living in the folded bedclothes. She had a bite on her abdomen which had become necrotic and when she was seen in our office it was about 6 inches in diameter.

August 28, 2008 at 13:53 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. CAA

About ten years ago I believe I was bitten by a spider while working in an old barn. My right arm turned black, and I mean very, very black, for the entire length of my forearm and over my elbow while I was nauseous and dizzy within a couple of hours. I received several weeks worth of antibiotics with cortizone shots and cream lotions from the local hospital to treat it. There were two very small holes in the middle of the blackened skin (I have chills running down my neck just thinking about it!) that a team of six doctors tried but couldn't identify. To this day, I still don't have a definitive diagnosis of what it was, but I still have a mark where the bite holes were.

August 28, 2008 at 20:01 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. william barnes

we have a lot of spiders here in the south, I have found it very helpful to spray the foundation and a forty-fifty foot ring around the house with a good quality insect killer, this really gives peace of mind.

August 29, 2008 at 11:12 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Janice McAlister

I was looking over the health blog and started to laugh when I saw that you had written about spiders. I don't think I'll ever forget about the story of when you killed a spider and 100 or so baby spiders scurried out of the huge smashed spider. Oops! That must have been quite frightening for someone who has arachnophobia. Seriously though, about two years ago, my daughter, Amber, was bitten by a spider on the leg. It was scary to think that she could have been in very serious trouble. She was taken to the ER and treated with antibiotics. The bite basically exploded over and over again, purging itself of the poison. It took about one month for it to heal. She now has just a small reminder scar that takes it's place. And of course more than ever wants nothing to do with spiders.

August 29, 2008 at 11:33 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. Adena

When I was in grade school, I was bitten on the thigh by a brown recluse. I never saw the spider and didn't know I had been bitten until I couldn't walk because my leg was so swollen. After I couldn't use my leg, and a blister had formed, it took three days to identify the bite - and this was after visiting three doctors. Thirty years later, I still have a very distinct scar. One quick way to identify the bite is that it makes a bullseye mark, with radiating red circles around the bite. Always shake out shoes and br careful in closets – they like to hide in dark places that tend to be undisturbed.

August 30, 2008 at 22:20 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. Jean Winnifred

We lived in Indian Wells near Palm springs, California in 1992, I fell asleep at sundown as was my wont in my Barwa chair out by the pool.
    So I did not see the spider that bit me although I had been aware that there were brown recluse spiders on our property. In a few hours the five bites in a cluster were very apparent and I began to be in such pain that I had to elevate my leg to get any relief. Here is the stupid part: because I am a health nut, I did not go to a doctor and instead put DMSO on the bites. The skin around the bites deteriorated and wasted away. To this day I can still see tiny indentations where those bites were. I am lucky that they slowly healed and I became OK. Up in nearby Riverside that same summer a woman died from recluse spider bites. So GO TO A MEDIC right away if you get bitten.

September 1, 2008 at 05:01 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. Maria

I was bit by a brown recluse 5 weeks ago. I still have fever, nausea, chills and other symptoms. Can anyone tell me how long the symptoms lasts?

September 3, 2008 at 23:44 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Dolores Fleming, about 80 miless north of Raleigh.

I am a 76year old woman and was bitten mid Sept last fall. I have struggled with it quite a bit. Every week or so, these
      red to purplish spots appear on my left arm where I was bitten. At first, it swelled up very large (the arm from elbow
      to wrist,very red, very painful, etc. every doctor I have gone to, says there is nothing that can be done.
      Right now, I am so weak, I can barely walk, my hands, arms, teeth, everything is shaking very much. I have lost about 30 lbs. so far. My family is disgusted with me, they don't think there is anything wrong with me except my age. I feel so hopeless.

June 21, 2011 at 12:02 | Report abuse |
  28. Morgana

I got a bite about 10 years ago. I didnt realize it until it started to hurt/itch and feel irritated.
    After several days of the sore that wouldnt heal, I went to the Dr. He wasnt certain but said it appeared to be a brown recluse bite. I was put on strong antibiotics and had to return every other day to have the sore measured. The Dr told me that if it expanded beyond a certain size, I would have to have tissue removed. Luckily, that never happened.
    I was one of the lucky ones, I guess.

September 15, 2008 at 11:34 | Report abuse | Reply
  29. Hleavell

My house is infested with these spiders, this morning I took cloths out of the dryer and one was on a pair of underwear. I had gloves on because I wear them most all of the time when doing stuff around the house. These are considered reclusive but they do come out and they do frequent open lived in areas believe me I know and I am scared. I have researched way to rid a house of these spiders and the results have not been promising. The one that crawled across my hand and onto the floor has been sprayed and is probably dead but I still haven't gotten the nerve to find it. My house was built in 1940 and there is ways for them to get it due to the cracks and opening resulting from settling etc. I sealed a lot of the gaps up but there are many more that I probably do not know about. This is very discouraging and overwhelming at times I have children in my home and them getting biten is what scares me most of all.

July 2, 2010 at 11:12 | Report abuse | Reply
  30. B

As the other lady stated western ky is a strong hold for the recluse spider. I have recently bought a house that I didn't know until after we moved in that is infested with recluse spiders. I have lived with these spiders all my life in this part of the country and don't know if I have ever seen one before. After seeing these spiders I got curious and had one identified by a professional exerminator and a biologist. After living with these spiders I take the necessary precautions and do a recommended pest control to keep their populations down.

After doing much research and I'm talking about research from credible places like the University of Kentucky, University of Tennessee, University of Kansas and other universities where there are professors have done studies on these spiders you can learn a great deal. There is also a gentleman named Dr. Phillip Anderson who is an envenomation specialist who prouduced some interesting findings on recluse bites. You can Google him to see his findings and his qualifications. One other thing is these spiders are very afraid of humans and anything larger than themselves, they will run and still try to run if they are cornered. I have never had one try to bite me or be aggressive and my cat will kill and eat every one she can find. So all I am saying is these spiders are potentially dangerous, no question about that, but don't believe everything you hear or read. If you are not in their native range then the chance of you being bitten or know someone being bitten is almost a zero percent chance, unless you are staying with a friend that just moved from Alabama into an apartment in Michigan.

August 6, 2011 at 03:05 | Report abuse | Reply
  31. ray ban

Helpful info. Lucky me I discovered your site by accident, and I am stunned why this accident did not came about in advance! I bookmarked it.

May 30, 2012 at 10:15 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. Wendy

My Brother was just bitten by the recluse spider we believe at the Leanon Raceway in NY a few days ago. (today is aug 1 2013). He has diabetes and docs thought maybe it was a diabetes boil on the back of his neck. It is size of a golfball and to those saying MRSA,,,,,,not the case when the person who was bit actually FELT THE BITE. He said he thought he was bit by a horsefly! It got so bad he is now in the ICU!!! His potassium level went so high that the doc was amazed that he is still with us today.

August 1, 2013 at 18:18 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Page

Hi Wendy, Have you tried DMSO for the spider bite, it has amazing properties that will help with recovery like nothing else.
      here the best website to get it. http://WWW.DMSO.BZ, I hope the best for your brother.

August 20, 2013 at 14:37 | Report abuse |
  33. Christa

I'm gone to tell my little brother, that he should also visit this weblog on regular basis to take updated from most up-to-date reports.

August 1, 2013 at 18:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  34. blkbun01

I have the worst of luck. I have been bitten 3 times, once 5 years ago and recently. The first time my leg where the bite occured was so painful and infected it swelled to the point it hurt to put my pants on. Going through all that I know when to beware. So I got bitten again demoing a chicken coop. One bite in each leg so sadly 1 leg has gotten hit twice!!! One bite was minor but the other was so darn painful. I still have the tetnis shot but cannot get antibiotics as it is not infected yet. I will say if you get bite by them it is worse than a bee sting!!!

October 24, 2013 at 15:45 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. Vera

I contacted him for marriage help, He only said to me that i have come to the right place were i will be getting my heart desire without any side effect.He told me what i need to do,After it was been done,24 hours later,My Ex Husband called me on the phone and was saying sorry for living me and the kids before now and one week after my Husband called me to be pleading for forgiveness, I am so happy and overwhelmed that i have to tell this to the entire world to contact Robinson Buckler on his personal email address and get all your problem solve..No problem is too big for him to solve..He also cure herpes, Contact him for herpes cure too direct on: Robinsonbucler @{{gmail.}} com.https://robinbuckler. com....💕”💕”

December 10, 2020 at 12:18 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. zortilonrel

This site is mostly a walk-via for all of the data you wished about this and didn’t know who to ask. Glimpse here, and also you’ll definitely discover it.

December 20, 2020 at 07:34 | Report abuse | Reply
  37. 700k make money

MONSTERMODE 700K is a cutting-edge funnel-based app that can generate 100 commissions of up to 900+ dollars DAILY. This is made thanks to traffic conveyed on autopilot over various “viral tiers”. More details: https://bit.ly/2YfQFcC

December 26, 2020 at 13:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  38. imipramine online

My wife and i have been so relieved when Michael managed to finish up his studies via the precious recommendations he obtained using your web site. It is now and again perplexing to simply happen to be offering things which often some others might have been trying to sell. We remember we need you to thank for this. The type of illustrations you made, the straightforward website navigation, the relationships your site make it easier to instill – it is most spectacular, and it is letting our son in addition to us reckon that this subject matter is pleasurable, which is certainly truly serious. Thanks for the whole lot! https://tofranilimipramine.com/#

January 9, 2021 at 10:59 | Report abuse | Reply
  39. Make-money-in auto-pilot-2021

Get Our Passive Income System – Step 1: Get our ready made niche websites, Step 2: Setup your Paypal account. Step 3: Run our Unlimited Traffic System from 850 sources of traffic (Approximately 35000 views a day guaranteed). Then just wait and earn your income 100 on autopilot. More info: https://www.k3reviews.com/2020/08/16/monster-mode-700k/

January 30, 2021 at 21:22 | Report abuse | Reply
  40. zortilonrel

Its great as your other articles : D, appreciate it for posting.

February 7, 2021 at 07:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  41. https://europa-road.eu/hu/nemzetkozi-fuvarozas-szekesfehervar.php

Its excellent as your other posts : D, thankyou for putting up.

February 9, 2021 at 04:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  42. https://europa-road.eu/hu/vasuti-szallitmanyozas.php

I think other web site proprietors should take this website as an model, very clean and magnificent user friendly style and design, let alone the content. You're an expert in this topic!

February 9, 2021 at 05:09 | Report abuse | Reply
  43. Cardiff House Clearance

I got what you mean ,saved to favorites, very decent internet site.

February 9, 2021 at 07:59 | Report abuse | Reply
  44. 1500 USA-Visitors-Daily

Best Social Media Services and Website Traffic Services 2021: https://www.seoclerk.com/user/jackpower99

February 16, 2021 at 21:43 | Report abuse | Reply
  45. network installation

I have not checked in here for some time since I thought it was getting boring, but the last few posts are good quality so I guess I will add you back to my daily bloglist. You deserve it my friend 🙂

February 21, 2021 at 05:34 | Report abuse | Reply
  46. ClarkTauts

sag0k u7slk bzd5

February 28, 2021 at 13:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  47. Forklift Repair Shop Los Angeles

Pretty! This was a really wonderful post. Many thanks for supplying this information.

April 23, 2021 at 17:45 | Report abuse | Reply
  48. homes for sale sandpoint id

April 23, 2021 at 17:45 | Report abuse | Reply
  49. RV Collision Repair Los Angeles

Everything is very open with a really clear description of the issues. It was truly informative. Your site is very useful. Thanks for sharing!

April 23, 2021 at 17:45 | Report abuse | Reply