home
RSS
June 13th, 2014

5 studies you may have missed

Here's a roundup of five medical studies published this week that might give you new insights into your health, mind and body. Remember, correlation is not causation – so if a study finds a connection between two things, it doesn't mean that one causes the other.

Keep your phone out of your pocket – your sperm will thank you
Journal: Environmental International

Since guys don’t usually carry handbags, they tend to keep mobile phones in their pants pockets. A recent study from the University of Exeter suggests this may not be a great idea.

That cell phone could actually have a negative effect on your sperm quality.

The review looked at findings from 10 studies, that included almost 1,500 samples of semen. To evaluate the mens’ sperm quality, the scientists measured viability (the ratio of sperm that were alive), motility (the ability of sperm to move) and concentration (the number of sperm per unit of semen).

Compared to a control group, the percentage of sperm showing normal movement dropped by 8% among men who pocketed mobile phones. This group's sperm's ability to survive also decreased in about 9% of the samples.

The scientists write that the individual risk for sperm damage depends on how long a man keeps his phone in his pants and how much electromagnetic radiation the phone emits.

Read more from TIME

Eating too many hamburgers may increase your breast cancer risk
British Medical Journal

Past research has shown that eating a lot of red meat increases the risk of bowel cancer. Now Harvard researchers say eating red meat in early adulthood also increases a woman's risk of breast cancer.

The scientists analyzed data from 88,803 premenopausal women. During 20 years of follow-up, the team looked at the diets of those who developed breast cancer.

The result: higher consumption of red meat was associated with a 22% increased risk of breast cancer overall. Women who ate more poultry, fish, eggs, legumes and nuts had a lower risk for breast cancer.

Read more from BBC

The 'trust and cuddle-hormone' has another important purpose
Journal: Nature Communications

Oxytocin is often referred to as the “trust and cuddle hormone” because of  its role in maternal nurturing and friendship. Researchers at the University of California, Berkeley, now say that oxytocin is also essential for healthy muscle maintenance and repair.

Their recent study showed that injecting oxytocin under the skin helped animals' muscles heal better.

Oxytocin is the first “anti-aging” molecule approved by the Food and Drug Administration for clinical use. That’s why the study presents oxytocin as a future treatment target for age-related muscle wasting.

Read more from UC Berkeley

Bad-breath bacteria does more than turn off your date
Journal: Cell Host & Microbe

Scientists from the University of Pennsylvania have found the bacteria that cause gum disease also create an imbalance in your immune system.

Their recent study revealed that the periodontal bacterium Porphyromonas gingivalis disarms the immune system, leading to periodontitis, with inflammation and bone loss. The gum germs block the immune cells' killing ability and cause inflammation. The dead cells become nutrients that the bacteria feed off of.

“The result is a vicious cycle that exacerbates periodontitis," the researchers write. The team’s discoveries open up new targets for periodontitis treatment.

Read more from University of Pennsylvania

Heart disease can hurt your mental health
Journal: JAMA

A healthy mind needs a healthy body.

According to a new study, keeping the heart healthy is also a great way to keep your brain fit. The research examined 17,761 individuals with normal mental function and then re-evaluated them after four years.

The scientists found that the risk for cognitive impairment is greater for people with poor cardiovascular health. A deficit in learning, memory and verbal skills developed in 4.6% of people with the worst heart health and in only 2.6% of those with the most healthy hearts.

The study doesn’t explain the mechanisms that may have led to the findings. However, the study’s author, Evan L. Thacker, said “undetected subclinical strokes could not be ruled out.”

To learn more visit Health.com

Post by:
Filed under: Aging • Brain • Cell Phones • Conditions • Dental health • Diet and Fitness • Fertility • Heart • Living Well • Men's Health • Mental Health

1. 2L

If you've already been keeping the phone in your pants pockets for at least the past year – no more babies for you

June 16, 2014 at 08:48 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Bob

I consider that a benefit...

June 16, 2014 at 15:00 | Report abuse |
    • Skeeters

So I should ink about getting a second phone for my other pants pocket?

June 16, 2014 at 15:06 | Report abuse |
    • Palzon

Keeping your cell phone in a belt holster will prevent not only pregnancy, but intercourse altogether.

June 16, 2014 at 15:21 | Report abuse |
  2. rhobere

I've heard multiple reports about how having a mental health issue can lead to heart problems. Now they're saying heart problems lead to mental health issues. Is this another chicken v. egg case or are researchers just trying to scoop up some presedence?

June 16, 2014 at 10:16 | Report abuse | Reply
    • John

Nope. They're trying to scoop up some government grant money and need to produce a "tangible" result.

June 16, 2014 at 10:43 | Report abuse |
    • Old Enough

If I had heart disease, I think I would be a little depressed too.

June 16, 2014 at 11:51 | Report abuse |
    • jhonnyausemkock

One theory is that heart disease leads to less oxygen in the brain, which leads to depression and other issues. It's actually a plausible theory. We'll see what the next round of studies turns up. This scenario was actually attributed to my grandmother's mental decline before her death.

June 17, 2014 at 10:58 | Report abuse |
  3. BenG

Mental Health: So, people with heart disease have very slightly lowered mental and verbal skills.

Well, how about the fact that such people are less active physically and socially. Think that might account for the 5% difference?

Science is about controlling all the parameters, so the one thing being studied is the only difference between the samples.

June 16, 2014 at 10:17 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Scott

Ah., how about the fact that we are meant to put these devices to ours heads nevertheless next to our nuts?

June 16, 2014 at 10:44 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. My Too Senseworth

What about the guys that walk around with a cell phone next to their head all day?

June 16, 2014 at 10:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. mr.meyer

I can always take off my tin foil hat and use it to wrap my package

June 16, 2014 at 11:21 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Jon Anthony

Thanx for the tip and all, but I let my ladies worry about my sperm "quality"... :0)

June 16, 2014 at 12:45 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Life Lessons

What have I learned from health studies? Everything is trying to kill you.

June 16, 2014 at 13:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. citizenUSA

I don't keep my phone in my pocket because my penis keeps dialing New Zealand.

June 16, 2014 at 13:16 | Report abuse | Reply
    • jonathanlk

That proves they are misinterpreting the data. It is only men with low quality sperm in the first place that keep their phones in their pockets. Men with high counts tend to be more active and that requires dialing specific tele# numbers by whatever means. I think dialing by hand keeps the sperm count high.

June 16, 2014 at 14:46 | Report abuse |
  10. lunchbreaker

Well that will save me some money on a vasectomy.

June 16, 2014 at 13:35 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Zane

Yes, an 8% reduction in sperm movement and a 9% reduction in sperm survival is exactly the same as a vasectomy. (sarcasm)

June 16, 2014 at 21:48 | Report abuse |
  11. martins Donald

there are things that are very harmful to our human body

June 16, 2014 at 16:03 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. pia

all these posts were so funny!! Thank u guys for making me laugh!

June 16, 2014 at 16:37 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Robert

Well that it for now until the next study comes out with the opposing "facts".

June 16, 2014 at 17:20 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. moiraesfate

Uh huh, and milk is bad for you one week, and good for you the next. Its fear mongering and nothing more.

June 16, 2014 at 19:23 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jim

Milk IS very bad for you if it's not from organic, grassfed cows! And even then, many people have milk allergy that causes acne and other negative effects. So yea, I loved milk but I have stopped drinking it.

June 17, 2014 at 14:45 | Report abuse |
    • Nonovyerbeezwax

Prove that milk from "grass fed cows" is any better for anyone that milk from cows on other feeds. Go ahead. Cite your sources.

June 18, 2014 at 19:51 | Report abuse |
  15. RDC

The way men are portrayed in the media and in everyday life, I'm surprised people are still concerned about our health. Usually we're seen as slobs and neanderthals.

June 16, 2014 at 19:51 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Brenda

I used to carry my cellphone in my bra until I had a cat scan of my chest and a spot was seen on my breast.
    Six months later another cat scan and it was still there. I had changed jobs so didn't carry my cellphone in my bra and Dr ordered another cat scan and mammogram. Nothing not a speck.
    I'm just telling you my experience.

June 16, 2014 at 20:25 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. booyaka

Hmmmm ok I will put my phone in my mouth. Boooooooooooo

June 16, 2014 at 21:51 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. bd

if you read the instructions that came with your iPhone it specifically states not to get the iPhone any closer than 4 inches to your head, due to possible radiation poisoning. If you sat down and read the rest of the instructions you would probably stop using cell phone technology that is if you're smart enough to understand what it says oh and read.

June 17, 2014 at 01:18 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Nonovyerbeezwax

The instructions say that? Where? Can you post a link to them?

June 18, 2014 at 19:52 | Report abuse |
  19. Alan DeGolmon

So you can use your cell phone to get a free vasectomy? Sounds like a good deal. Let's jump on it before the cell phone companies realiize what's going on and get health insurance involved.

Dial "S" for sterility!

June 17, 2014 at 01:48 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Amy Mae

Background checks for cell phones !!!

June 17, 2014 at 06:03 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Dude McDuderson

I've kept my cell phone in my pocket since 2000, and I have 3 kids. I had a vasectomy and it took 4 samples for me to be clear of any sperm. I'd say I beat the odds.

June 17, 2014 at 07:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. db

This story will increase the chances that my gf will be getting a sloppy creampie by 8%.

June 17, 2014 at 09:33 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Jim

Scientists have been bad-mouthing birth control for years. Leave my cell phone alone.

June 17, 2014 at 10:14 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. ere

.....is there a correlation between having hair on my palm and being single?

June 17, 2014 at 11:40 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. Owl96

I am 65 years old. My swimmers are not able to make it across the Channel if they wanted. They need the phone in my pocket anyway, they have their own Facebook account.

June 17, 2014 at 13:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. guest

a new form of birth control. Now men won't feel slighted by Obamacare only covering womans BC. And with the Obama phone – it is free as well !

June 17, 2014 at 13:07 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. danny

more like dont put your cellphone in your pocket because the nsa will not be able to hear your muffled conversation

June 18, 2014 at 02:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. edlf2014

Holy Cow! Another 'study'! And here I am still trying to digest the 'study' that discovered school girl pregnancies result from their addiction to motherhood.

June 18, 2014 at 23:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  29. roperztpxb

When you truly love someone, age, distance, height, and weight are just numbers. === InterracialDatingChicago( . )com is ===a serious online interracial dating Services offering real and successful opportunities to meet your right person at Chicago,USA. Our site provides interracial dating service about white women looking for black men, or black men dating white women online! Hundreds of new interracial singles who same as you join us everyday. xcbcxbetery

June 22, 2014 at 22:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  30. RedAlert

They forgot to mention that CNN gun-debate trolls under anonymity of the internet, are health risks to the community

June 16, 2014 at 07:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  31. Gary TX

rabbit season .. duck season .. rabbit season .. duck season

June 16, 2014 at 08:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. neverbeenhappieratheist

I don't have to be some liberal pvssy to know that owning a gun doubles the chance that I or a member of my family will die by gun violence.It's just a fact.

June 16, 2014 at 12:28 | Report abuse | Reply
  33. Steven Gold

Gary, best reply of the week!

June 16, 2014 at 13:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  34. rarebrilliance

nbha, cause and effect cannot be determined simply by association. Perhaps those at higher risk of dying by gun violence (based on location, perhaps) tend to buy guns. Thereby, the risk of violence causes the gun purchase, not the other way around.

June 16, 2014 at 13:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. citizenUSA

Uh, excuse me, but it Wabbit season...

June 16, 2014 at 14:17 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. JR

Said the troll using an anonymous handle..............

June 16, 2014 at 14:37 | Report abuse | Reply
  37. Amy Mae

Bravo exactly where it should be !

June 17, 2014 at 06:02 | Report abuse | Reply
  38. ere

...you're welcome, glad to be of assistance

June 17, 2014 at 11:42 | Report abuse | Reply
  39. ere

it doubles the chances: from 1 in 20 million to 1 in 10 million....owning knives triples the chances of you being stabbed to death too

June 17, 2014 at 11:44 | Report abuse | Reply
  40. Jim

But it quadruples the chance you'll survive if you are a target of gun violence.

June 17, 2014 at 14:47 | Report abuse | Reply