home
RSS
June 10th, 2014

1 in 4 Americans living with diabetes don't know

The number of Americans with diabetes continues to rise – there are now more than 29 million adults living with the disease, according to the latest data released by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Tuesday. That’s 3 million more than the last time the CDC released diabetes statistics in 2011.

The CDC estimates that a quarter of these adults living with diabetes in the United States don’t even know they are sick, meaning they haven't been diagnosed.

An additional 86 million American adults have what’s called “pre-diabetes,” which means that their blood sugar levels are higher than normal, but not yet on the level of diabetes. And nearly all – 90% - of these Americans do not know they are headed down a dangerous road. The CDC estimates that 15 to 30% of people with pre-diabetes will develop diabetes within five years if they don't exercise and lose weight.

“These new numbers are alarming and underscore the need for an increased focus on reducing the burden of diabetes in our country,” Ann Albright, the CDC’s director of the division of diabetes translation, said in a press release. “It’s urgent that we take swift action to effectively treat and prevent this serious disease.”

People with diabetes are at increased risk for blindness, kidney failure, heart disease and stroke. The disease is usually linked to obesity, lack of physical activity and/or a family history of the disease.

1. Organic1

These numbers, along with the article is addressing Type 2, this does not include Type 1. To bundle the two together would be irresponsible of whoever wrote and edited this.

June 10, 2014 at 16:57 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jacque WilsonCNN

Thanks for reading @Organic1! The CDC report actually looked at both Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes.

June 10, 2014 at 17:03 | Report abuse |
    • T1D

Jacque Wilson, I don't see how the report could of included Type 1 diabetes. You can't go undiagnosed with type 1 too long...you'd be dead! Type 1 isn't manageable with pills or diet and exercise....you need insulin.

June 10, 2014 at 17:14 | Report abuse |
    • DiabetesStinks

Jacque you are correct, the report did include Type 1 Diabetes, however CNN did not recap the part where Type 1 diabetics need insulin to survive (pages 4 & 9 in the report) or how there is no known way to prevent Type 1 Diabetes (page 9). I think Jacque, Type 1 diabetics and their parents are tired of themselves or their kids being called fat and lazy. To be honest, I am pretty sure Type 2 diabetics feel the same way.

June 10, 2014 at 18:06 | Report abuse |
    • Wendy Feldman

I agree!!! Why do they not specify the type they are talking about. My son is a type 1 and every time we come across someone new that finds out he is diabetic, we get a lecture on how if the fast foods were gone and our children ate better we wouldn't have to deal with diabetes. My son did not get diabetes because of foods he ate or lack of exercise. It's auto immune and so many people do not know this about type 1. All we hear about is type 2. When stories like this come out and they don't specify the type they are wanting to discuss, it makes me so mad and misinforms everyone.

June 10, 2014 at 18:10 | Report abuse |
    • Truecw8

The very last sentence only applies to type 2. I was diagnosed with type 1 at the age of 20. I was not overweight, very active (played numerous sports my entire life), and nobody in my family had been diabetic. While the study may have involved both type 1 and 2, every the majority of stories written about this terrible disease neglect to mention which type was studied or the difference between the two and simply combine them as 1 disease. They are not the same. As a type 1, this infuriates me because it miseducates everyone who doesn't know, and makes everyone think it's my fault that I'm a T1D.

June 10, 2014 at 18:44 | Report abuse |
    • DB

@T1D RE: "I don't see how the report could of included Type 1 diabetes."

You mean could've (NOT "could of"). Could've stands for could have. "Could of" is meaningless.

June 10, 2014 at 18:50 | Report abuse |
    • Dave

I have type 2 diabetes and have never been Obese (a condition referred to as Non-Obese Non-Insulin Dependent Diabetes Mellitus). Some doctor's think that this is perhaps a 3rd form of Diabetes. Losing weight would not have helped me at all as I was always of normal weight. Articles such as this one, written by ill-informed journalists that lump all diabetics together, are insulting.

June 10, 2014 at 18:55 | Report abuse |
    • wownotown

I have been Type 1 since I turned 31, which was extremely odd according to my doctors. Only 5% of people get Type 1 at that age. I personally think diet has something to do with it. I have never been overweight and was always very active, but I ate processed foods like they were going out of style growing up. Processed foods seems to be a clue. If you look at countries that don't eat as many processed foods, their rate of diabetes is much lower, though it is still present. Take many asian countries as an example.

June 10, 2014 at 21:10 | Report abuse |
    • Type 1 Dad

@Jacque Wilson, you miss the point of bundling both types of Diabetes. Type 1 primarily afflicts children and young adults and occassionaly occurs in previously healthy adults. Type 2 occurs later in life. Many who develop type 2 live a healthy lifestyle but end up with it anyway. Many more develop type 2 because of their diet and lack of exorcize.

Lumping the variations of Diabetes unfairly stigmatizes type 1 and many type 2 diabetics who did nothing to cause their own disease.

June 10, 2014 at 22:54 | Report abuse |
    • Ingrid

There is very little new information in this story...the author was told to find something to write so she wrote the obvious...Diabetes is bad...more people have it.....its like a story...FLORIDA EXPECTED TO BE HOT AND HUMID THIS SUMMER.

June 11, 2014 at 18:23 | Report abuse |
    • ayawwetwet

Hi, handsome! Are you seeking for interracial dating and relationship ?♥ BlackMenDatingWhiteWomen(.)o r g ♥ is an online personals for black women,white men,black men,white women for black white dating. Thousands of black&white singles are looking for someone like you! If you are interested in black women dating white men, white women looking for black men, you have reached the right place. vbmvbmrturtu

June 12, 2014 at 22:24 | Report abuse |
  2. Marla

Do you mean IGT or Impaired Glucose Tolerance for "pre-diabetes"? Be specific and not just cough out words that will not benefit anyone reading this article. Waste of time.

June 10, 2014 at 17:08 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Steve

Impaired Glucose Tolerance is having an elevated glucose 2 hours after ingesting 75g glucose. Prediabetes includes fasting plasma glucose and HbA1c levels below the threshold for diagnosis of diabetes, but above the level at which we know that a person has a significantly increased risk for cardiovascular disease as well as an increased risk of developing diabetes.

June 10, 2014 at 17:47 | Report abuse |
    • al

What ailment do you have that makes you so mean?

June 10, 2014 at 22:29 | Report abuse |
  3. openlix

Diabetes is a myth !!!
    Early 2013. I was overweight, was not eating well and, of course, was not exercising, thus I was diagnose with diabetes type 2. The doctor prescribed me pills. I told him that I will take it for a while but I will change my way of leaving.

I started eating well, started exercising and slimmed down. 6 months ago, doctor told me to quit using the pills, there was no more need. I knew it.

If you exercise, eat well and loose weight, you will not GET diabetes unless it's in your gene.

June 10, 2014 at 17:08 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Irene

Good for you! I hope to be on the same path as you are. Congratulations ~

June 10, 2014 at 17:15 | Report abuse |
    • Tilt

Good for you, now work on your ignorant self righteousness. Also, diabetes isn't a myth. It's quite real. Your comment is really dumb and you have a lot to learn.

June 10, 2014 at 17:27 | Report abuse |
    • Derp

You can still get it, as you stated it can be genetic. I have a family history of it. But you are also right that if you keep yourself in shape and watch what you eat you can stave it off.

There are pro athletes that have Diabetes however, and they are in excellent shape.

June 10, 2014 at 17:28 | Report abuse |
    • BRB

80% of overweight people are diabetic. Quit shoveling food and junk in your mouth, lose weight, and exercise - this will keep you from dying. Many years ago the same people were said to have "gout" which is once again a fat person's disease.

June 10, 2014 at 18:14 | Report abuse |
    • geggyg

Your comment was very confused . First you said diabetes was a myth ( did you mean the causes of diabetes are a myth) , and at the end you admit diabetes does exist , but only if its in your genes . Please make up your mind .
      Many people have a genetic predisposition to various diseases ( heart disease, epilepsy etc ) but the disease isn't triggered without lifestyle influences , other people have the genetic disposition but even with a good lifestyle still suffer.
      Some medications also can cause diabetes in some people possibly with a genetic disposition .I am on some medications which are known to trigger diabetes in some people so I am monitored for signs , luckily I am in Australia so we have a healthcare system that considers preventative care and early diagnosis important- this is changing with policies of our conservative PM Tony Abbott cutting healthcare funding and trying to discourage people from "overusing" the system and not seeing doctors as often.

June 11, 2014 at 05:29 | Report abuse |
    • tmana

Once you have been diagnosed with diabetes, you will ALWAYS have diabetes, even if you don't have to take pills. Irreversible damage to your body has already been done, and while you can ameliorate the symptoms, the damage - and the condition - still persist.

There IS an autoimmune component to T2DM; it just isn't as well-isolated as the two dozen or so genes that contribute to T1DM.

FWIW, I really get offended at people who call "diabetes" a "disease" rather than a "condition", and just because I am living with diabetes doesn't mean I am SICK. It means I am living with a chronic condition which must be managed medically.

July 7, 2014 at 22:31 | Report abuse |
  4. gstlab3

This is the direct result of the factory farming of modified cerial grains milled into white bleached flour and the tons of refined sugars being available 24/7/365.,
    Grains have been drastically changed over the past few hundred years the ballance of carbohydrates and bran and fiber and the germ have all been changed to increase the carbohydrate stores in these grains to make the speed of fattening up of livestock faster.,
    this was first seriously noticed by two key farmers who met in Illinois over 200 years ago and they bred new varieties of corn with super high sugar content 'carohydrate" we still use their progeny today.

June 10, 2014 at 17:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. T1D

There is a huge difference between type 1 and type 2 diabetes and this should of been clarified in the article.

June 10, 2014 at 17:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Irene

I recently went to the doctor for a general check-up only to be told I have Diabetes. Although I feel fine, my life has taken a sudden change in its path. In one month I have lost fifteen pounds, I'm exercising three times a week, and nothing goes into my mouth unless I know all the portion sizes, calories, carbs, and sodium. Thank God my military doctor took the time to send me to the lab. I find it amazing that one could have this illness and not even know it.

June 10, 2014 at 17:10 | Report abuse | Reply
    • openlix

I'm sure you will make it.
      Good luck

June 10, 2014 at 17:28 | Report abuse |
    • BRB

Stay with your eating routine and keep exercising – you will be fne in 8-12 months. You should also send your doctor something non-fat since he probably saved your life.

June 10, 2014 at 18:16 | Report abuse |
  7. jane92673

Why would you headline an article like this and then not let them know the symptoms they are missing? If 25% of the American population that has diabetes is unaware, why would you not educate them on what to look for or when to see their doctor? It just makes you seem alarmist rather than helpful.

June 10, 2014 at 17:16 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Christian

The article actually didn't say 25% of Americans have diabetes. It said that of those Americans with diabetes, 25% don't know they have it. Essentially, if 10% of Americans have diabetes, 2.5% of Americans don't know they have diabetes.

June 10, 2014 at 20:07 | Report abuse |
    • tmana

People with type 2 diabetes generally don't develop the symptoms that can help diagnose type 1 diabetes (incessant hunger, incessant thirst, frequent urination, significant unintentional weight loss, excessive fatigue). Many people with type 2 diabetes remain undiagnosed until after they develop one or another of the more common complications of diabetes.

July 7, 2014 at 22:35 | Report abuse |
  8. Derp

First: universal healthcare. Forcing people that don't have money to buy health insurance isn't going to fill that need.

Second: Maximum caps on hours worked a week, plus required 5 minute breaks every 15 minutes where an employee can get up and walk around. Sitting all day KILLS. Maximum 8 hour work day. Higher minimum wage, illegalize all temp agencies and temporary jobs.

THAT will start fixing the mess that the US has.

People in the US have a high cost of living but low quality food and high hours worked. I gained 40 lbs working 70 hour work weeks for 2 years straight. And why would I do that? To pay my six figure student loan debt, which also should be illegal.

Changes need to be made, and they need to be made to protect worker's health. All the healthiest modern countries have those types of rules in place already, and as a result they actually SAVE a lot of money on healthcare.

June 10, 2014 at 17:26 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Yakobi

First: "universal healthcare" fixes nothing. The only result it would have is to provide poorer quality care for everyone while simultaneously bankrupting the country, just like what's happened in some European countries.

Second: Limiting the number of hours an employee can work is ridiculous. That's as stupid as telling me how much money I can make (oh right–you sanctimonious Robin Hood-type liberals want to do that, too). Required 5 minute breaks every 15 minutes isn't always feasible. Sitting all day does NOT kill; unhealty habits do. "Illegalize all temp agencies"? Why stop there? "Illegalize" all management and make this the Communist States of America!

You don't like your student loan debt? Then you should've gone to a cheaper school or paid for your education yourself!

And you're completely wrong about "modern countries" saving money on healthcare. The amount of money they spend on socialized medicine forces them to raise taxes to an unsustainable level.

June 10, 2014 at 19:25 | Report abuse |
  9. Fiona

There is no excuse for not keeping track of blood sugar annually. Even if you have poor insurance , or none, and even if you can't haul your carcass into the doctor's office, blood tests are offered at drug stores and other venues for close to free...and sometimes free...often. I have a relative who chose to ignore his pre- diabetes, and then not take his diabetes seriously. Now he is losing parts of his body from the disease. It makes me angry.

June 10, 2014 at 17:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. mom

I see soooo many obese people, especially moms. It takes a lot of work, but you can fight it! I go to the gym every day, eat healthy, and after 6 kids am still skinny with a flat belly. I work every single day at it. It does not take a lot of time. But it takes dedication to eating just enough, not too much. And you cannot sit for the majority of the day, even if you exercise. All the sugar in foods these days is crazy. Stick to real foods without the added sugar. It makes me sad to hear that so many people have diabetes. The message about what you need to do (eat well and exercise) is out there. Let's stay healthy for our kids!

June 10, 2014 at 18:05 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Simon

Fat people call normal looking people skinny. The term skinny to them is looking like a normal human being should look like. Put down the hot dog and get an treadmill!

June 10, 2014 at 18:38 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Type1

Please please take the time to correct this and spell out the difference between type 1 and type 2 diabetes!!!!!

I am sure these numbers have nothing to do with type 1.

June 10, 2014 at 19:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. OvernOut

My parents were skinny (dad was 5' 6", his maximum weight was 140 when he was in the Army, his normal weight was 120, and mom was 5' and 110). Both had diabetes appear after age 55. They blamed their high fat diet from the Depression era and genetics, there were other family members with diabetes in the family tree. I wish the Type I supporters would quit bashing those who struggle with adult-onset diabetes, there IS a genetic component for those who get this disease as adults. We should all work together to fight this disorder.

June 10, 2014 at 19:57 | Report abuse | Reply
    • musings

I do agree about a genetic component for type 2. There's also a vicious cycle where the diabetic symptoms themselves might make a person more sedentary. I first saw the disease in my grandfather, then my mother and most recently my brother (who has soaring blood sugars). None of these people was/is obese. My grandfather lived to be 83 and my mother is 90, but the quality of life is altered by the disease, which can cause blindness and make every medical problem worse. My mother has substantially lowered her blood sugar through careful low carb diet and taking cinnamon tablets. She eats a lot of the things we were told not to eat (steak, eggs) and is doing all right (though is not as spry a 90 year old due to blindness).

June 10, 2014 at 23:24 | Report abuse |
  14. Daniel

Why do people always thank god for stuff? It's annoying.

June 10, 2014 at 20:18 | Report abuse | Reply
    • danab1234

Because they are under the age of 10 or can't think for themselves?

June 10, 2014 at 23:22 | Report abuse |
  15. Harry

Four words:
    HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP.

June 10, 2014 at 21:07 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. John

It's in the medical community's interest to tighten the definition of the disease to include more people. Here's a given. We're all going to die some day. They can't prevent it. They can only try to enrich themselves before their eventual death, by creating more "sick" people.

June 10, 2014 at 21:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Nanners

ENOUGH with the corn syrup already! You are killing us and your children!

June 10, 2014 at 22:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Mary

These statistics often leave me with the question, if the patient doesn't know it, then how do you. It would be more accurate to say, 1 in 4 likely to have diabetes and not know it. Secondly, if diabetes run in your family, you can be quite in shape, eat right, be an athlete, and STILL get type 2 diabetes. If that is the case, you MAY be able to control your blood sugars by diet and exercise, but you may work as hard as you like and still need meds. It's important to make sure we let people know that controlling your blood sugar and keeping it in the normal range is not the same as a cure. Sickness, stress, and diet failures will result in higher blood sugars.

June 10, 2014 at 22:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. dandre

1-in-4 have diabetes and don't know it

WRONG!!! That was the headline and misleading. It is one in four people WITH diabetes don't know it.

aaaaasssssholes!!!!!!

June 10, 2014 at 22:36 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Lee

My Dad has type two and he is stick thin.

June 10, 2014 at 22:47 | Report abuse | Reply
    • OvernOut

My dad was 5' 6", 120 lbs for most of his life, had 6-pack abs, too. When his diabetes was discovered, he was put straight on insulin. My oldest kid, who is pushing 30, has the same build as his grandpa. I wish there were more studies that looked at the genetic factors for diabetes.

June 10, 2014 at 23:08 | Report abuse |
  21. Fat n' Lazy

Please make the distinction between Type 1 diabetes and Type 2, I find it really offensive when people think all diabetics have the disease due to the lack of exercise or a poor diet. I especially dislike it when people recount a story of an aunt or uncle, or friend of a friend who was able to be cured of diabetes after changing their diet/physical activity levels.

June 10, 2014 at 22:53 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Xannieh

Thank you! There is no cure for type 1.

June 11, 2014 at 06:37 | Report abuse |
  22. Al

Blows! I exercise and eat healthy and my blood sugar levels are higher than normal....dang genetics! :(

June 10, 2014 at 23:00 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Wood

We Need to get rid of Sodapop Vending machines at every school and restrict them back to ONLY at the teachers lounge like it was when we were in school. We had more access to WATER FOUNTAINS in our schools then and they served milk and we all had a mandatory exercise regimen every day. Physical education was mandatory then and a lot of us walked or rode bikes to school. None of us had Cell-phones or Beepers we had Slide rules and spinning tops or yo yos for recreation. We played sports in the afternoons instead of Video Games. That is just a few of the problems that exist in our society today. If you eliminate Fast Food , Corn Syrup and Sugar from most kids diets and get them to exercise you'd eliminate the next generation from being 50% diabetic.

June 10, 2014 at 23:16 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. danab1234

If you have the diabetes and you know it, clap your hands.

June 10, 2014 at 23:20 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. k Logan

What a disgrace. Lazy, fat, Americans who eat poorly and never exercise. But don't worry all those drug companies and their pathetic commercials will save you. Where is shame today???

June 10, 2014 at 23:33 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Xannieh

For those who say , " those with type 1 get over being irritated in this forum", this is WHY they are irritated. Sir.. My husband is a type one. He eats far more healthy than most Americans and runs 5 miles a day. The only thing this does, is keeps the AMOUNT of insulin he uses down. If he didn't have the insulin then it wouldn't matter what h did, his glucose levels would be out of control. He weighs 150 pounds and keeps a very active lifestyle but he will never be "cured" It's an auto-immune disease not a "fat persons disease". It will probably also shorten his life and there isn't a thing we can do about it.

June 11, 2014 at 06:36 | Report abuse |
  26. Stacy

This article is at best incomplete and at worst and falsehood. They have grouped type one an type two together into one group and that is simply just wrong. They are two absolute different diseases. Heck, the estimates have even said that 10 percent of adults diagnosed with type two are actually type 1.5 or LADA. It is late onset type one diabetes in adults (I am in that group). I really wish they would just call out type two.

June 10, 2014 at 23:38 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. Dan

1) Fix the front page headline. " 1 in 4 have diabetes and don't know it".. wrong "1 in 4 WITH diabetes don't know it" HUGE difference.

2) Why not put some useful information of any kind in the article?

June 11, 2014 at 00:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. Diane

Maybe if the medical profession treated the condition with more sensitivity and respect for patient privacy, more people might get tested? At the moment, they still ask about it as a routine screening question in front of other patients in hospital wards and talk about it freely, without any regard to how stigmatised the condition is.

June 11, 2014 at 01:10 | Report abuse | Reply
    • BorisRoberts

Diane, if you worry more about your reputation while at the free clinic (stigmatised is how you put it, stigmatised in front of who, illegal aliens and homeless people? Screw 'em, they don't matter), you probably don't really care what happens to you anyway.

June 11, 2014 at 03:41 | Report abuse |
    • Diane

Maybe that's part of why so many people (not me) don't get tested though?

June 11, 2014 at 14:09 | Report abuse |
  29. breed7

I wish they would give "type 2 diabetes" a different name. Those of us who have ACTUAL diabetes (type 1) would really appreciate it if people would stop saying, "You have diabetes? But you're not fat!" Yes, I have diabetes and I'm not fat. I was diagnosed as a child, and I was skinny as a rail.

They're not even related diseases. One is an autoimmune disorder, and the other is an intolerance to insulin. They have NOTHING to do with each other.

June 11, 2014 at 01:48 | Report abuse | Reply
  30. That's just crazy talk

The best healthcare plan anyone can have is regular exercise and a reasonable healthy diet.

June 11, 2014 at 02:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  31. BorisRoberts

Guys, no need to argue about Type 1 or Type 2, I think the point the writer is trying to make, is that this disease is going to change the course of this country if we don't get a handle on it. I live in Central CA, with a very high number of hispanic immigrants, both legal and illegal, and according to my doctor, the number of overweight adults, teens and children, is staggering, who belong to this group, also most other ethnic groups also, but you can see it in the kids around here, very, very overweight/life threateningly obese. She mentioned it is going to drive counties into bankruptcy having to care for people with complications from diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, etc., etc. And it seems to be increasing exponentially. And parents are refusing to see it.

June 11, 2014 at 03:36 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. OBAMA LOVES BUSH

I wonder if the government stopped subsidizing sugar and corn if diabetes rates would go down.

June 11, 2014 at 04:07 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Carol

Yes!!!!! They should subsidize more organic farmers and lean meat producers. Almost everything in a grocery store has sugar in it, even cold cuts, sausage, some raw chicken.....items you wouldn't expect. Instead of trying to limit the size of soft drinks, we should be limiting the amount of sugar in all foods. Read labels carefully.

June 11, 2014 at 14:58 | Report abuse |
  33. patriciaange

Reblogged this on Sex and Relationships.

June 11, 2014 at 05:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  34. Rodj

Love how these type 1 diabetics are all over this board and so angry to be associated with type 2. Get over yourselves, Geez.

June 11, 2014 at 05:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. Pancake Lover

Now, if we'd know what is healthy diet... My opinion is cut as many carbs as possible(that is my logic).

June 11, 2014 at 07:32 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. gcscan

On average, ONE in every group of four with diabetes DOESN'T know he/she HAS the disease. Singular.

June 11, 2014 at 09:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  37. E C O N I C A

@Jacque WilsonCNN

THIS IS EXTREMELY INCOMPETENT. Please do a right thing and instead of adding to confusion about type1 and type 2, point out which one you are talking about. NONE of data here applies to type 1 diabetes! A type 1 diabetic WOULD BE DEAD if gone undiagnosed for even a few days!
    Very disappointed.

June 11, 2014 at 13:07 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jen

Not true. IT MIGHT apply to type 1 children, but teens and adults tend to have slower onset of type 1 diabetes and if they are not diagnosed or diagnosed properly/treated properly (being misdiagnosed with type 2 and receiving improper treatment is a thing if you're over 18, personal experience here) you can usually survive it. I didn't know I had type 1 diabetes, I had very few symptoms, but lo and behold I have it. I do not have type 2 . I was diagnosed with it originally, but it became obvious I was type 1 and not 2. I am truly insulin dependent and cannot go without it but I survived months of misdiagnosis and being given type 2 drugs that had little to no effect. It was not fun and I was very sick but I did survive.

June 12, 2014 at 17:09 | Report abuse |
  38. Carol

I blame doctors....they pay no attention to the pre-diabetes numbers. For years I complained to various doctors about my weight issues and they said and did nothing. None addressed my blood sugar as it gradually rose. Only when it crossed into the diabetic range did they show concern by prescribing drugs. The pre- stage needs to be when we attack this disease.

June 11, 2014 at 14:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  39. meredithcr

"you miss the point of bundling both types of Diabetes. Type 1 primarily afflicts children and young adults and occassionaly occurs in previously healthy adults. Type 2 occurs later in life. Many who develop type 2 live a healthy lifestyle but end up with it anyway. Many more develop type 2 because of their diet and lack of exorcize."

Type 1 Dad, you're not helping much either. you need to keep up with the research just as much as the BLOGGER who wrote this piece needs to.

for example,
    Type-2 diabetes is increasing in children and adolescents: http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1866098

and type-1 diabetes is increasing in adults as well: "Each year, more than 15,000 children and 15,000 adults—approximately 80 people per day—are diagnosed with T1D in the U.S." NIDDK: diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/statistics/index.htm#i_youngpeople

June 11, 2014 at 15:49 | Report abuse | Reply
  40. Robert

I know diabetes is a horrible illness. But has anyone else also noticed that the numbers that qualify you as diabetic keep getting lower and lower. The same as cholesterol. This make more people diabetic. I would just like to know if that is because of new information that changes the numbers of if the drug companies just wanted more money.

June 11, 2014 at 16:22 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Version

Robert I have wonder about that very think, Blood Pressure did the same thing. Now the numbers are up again!!

June 11, 2014 at 17:32 | Report abuse |
  41. DAWK

IF....all shoppers at supermarkets could use a scanner on their carts,which 'reads' all bar codes /products,then shoppers could instantly see/read the sugar/corn syrup/high fructose corn syrup/honey and other sugars in all products.folks would be shocked about how many products are loaded with sugar and also realize 'marketing' is largely using SUGAR....to get folks hooked on more sugar and huge amounts of sugar-dominate boxed/canned food in the supermarkets.
    since most shoppers are in.... a rush,they do not have time to read labels ,so this device might help to avoid sugar loaded products only problem, is federal and state would-not-dare require such a device,even a hand held/owned device to quickly scan labels via bar codes.big industry is the problem,I read labels and am stunned to find SO MUCH....SUGAR in most grocery store products!
    perhaps we need all sugar food industries, require to PAY for all treatment of sick high blood sugar victims and only then will these big business 'sweetners' take sugar out of their products.

June 11, 2014 at 17:03 | Report abuse | Reply
  42. Anjahli Parnell

This is not the face of type 2 Diabetes, African Americans are twice as likely to have the disease than any other group.

June 11, 2014 at 18:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  43. OG

I have been "diabetic" off and on for 20+ years. My fasting glucose levels have been between 100-145, while my AC1 has been 5.7 at it's highest during testing. Some doctors favor glucose results, other the AC1 number. My last doctor put me on Metformin and a statin after numbers of 126 & 145 (fasting), but the AC1 never got above 5.7. I do not have a family history of heart disease and my overall cholesterol # is 146. Good and Bad within range. My 3 month follow-up had me at 106 fasting and AC1 5.5. Not diabetic range at all. I ditched the statin and kept the Metformin dose of 750 mg per day. I also have PCOS (or whatever they call it today) so I'm hoping it will help with that. Bottom line – whole foods, fresh foods, not much crappy foods. And move it if you still can!!

June 11, 2014 at 19:44 | Report abuse | Reply
  44. mmccann2005

Please stop making general statements about diabetes. There are two kinds: type 1 and type 2. You are clearly talking about type 2 – next time be specific.

June 13, 2014 at 17:00 | Report abuse | Reply
  45. mmccann2005

You mean: 1 in 4 living with TYPE 2 Diabetes don't know. There are two different diseases called "diabetes." You are clearly NOT talking about type 1. Please be specific next time.

June 13, 2014 at 17:02 | Report abuse | Reply
  46. Michael53

So what does this have to do with the article on Pre-Diabetes?? You posted the same baloney on another article on Nigeria a couple weeks ago. You think that anyone really believes you?

June 10, 2014 at 16:51 | Report abuse | Reply
  47. Just replace

@Micheal53 – Just replace Timmy Suckle with any CEO of any health insurance company and then it's all true.

June 12, 2014 at 09:37 | Report abuse | Reply
  48. Tilt

Everyone is fat (except me). If it jiggles, it's fat. Also, have you considered that you're disgusting in the eyes of the people who disgust you? Anyway, Christian-Republicans disgust me.

June 10, 2014 at 17:31 | Report abuse | Reply
  49. Lee

Who cares what people think?

June 10, 2014 at 22:47 | Report abuse | Reply