home
RSS
Herbal remedy may improve arthritis symptoms
April 14th, 2014

Herbal remedy may improve arthritis symptoms

A traditional herbal remedy may treat rheumatoid arthritis as effectively as an FDA-approved drug treatment, according to a preliminary study published this week in the Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases.

Triptergium wilfordii Hook F, also known as the "Thunder God Vine," has long been used in traditional Chinese medicine to treat joint pain and inflammation, though no U.S. manufacturer currently sells the root extract, according to the NIH.

"It actually does show a clinical benefit," said Dr. Eric Matteson, rheumatology chair at Mayo Clinic, who was not involved with the study. "I think it is something that deserves further evaluation, without a doubt."

More than half of the patients taking nothing but Triptergium wilfordii (TwHF) in the study experienced a 50% or greater improvement in their symptoms, as measured by the American College of Rheumatology's standardized assessment criteria.

By contrast, 46% of patients taking the standard drug treatment methotrexate experienced the same improvement in symptoms.

Patients taking both TwHF and methotrexate showed the greatest improvement of all, with nearly 77% of them experiencing a 50% or greater improvement in symptoms.

One major limitation of the study, however, is that both patients and clinicians knew who was receiving which treatments. A "blinded" clinical trial to rule out a placebo effect would be necessary to earn FDA-approval in the United States.

And while current drug treatments also slow the progression of arthritis over time, the study authors only measured symptom improvement with TwHF.

"Using drugs like methotrexate is intended to make people feel better and reduce the symptoms of their arthritis, but it's also intended to reduce the damage that people have from the arthritis," said Matteson. "And that we don't know about because there were no x-rays in this study."

The study was conducted in China and included 207 total patients with active rheumatoid arthritis who were observed for 24 weeks.

1. wib smith

In 2006, I took this herb[perhaps], getting it from a mainland Chinese Pharmacy whose quality, reliability were unknown. I could tell no effect after 3 months.
    The NIMH Alternative Medicine group also ran a least one clinical trial. The verbal report in response to my phone calls was to the effect that, yes, it was beneficial, and statistically significant. I never could get the formal results from this trial. I gave up after getting in a loop. Anyone out there who might be able to find the NIMH data? I would like to know the results. The stuff I took may have been anything, since I had no means of determining validity and even if what I got was Triptergium willfordi -Hook.

April 15, 2014 at 00:38 | Report abuse | Reply
    • theemptyone1

What this article tells us, in kind terms, is that this "study" was completely unscientific. It would have been so much more useful if they had at least performed it "double blind." I suspect there is fear of debunking Chinese Medicine and the cultural,ethnic issues it would raise because so much of that is invested in these remedies. This is not to mention the "health" industry that thrives on trends and impressions of exotic, rare cures.

April 15, 2014 at 12:48 | Report abuse |
  2. wib smith

Here's another set of info, but it was not helpful for me in 2005 when I was looking for the herb;

April 15, 2014 at 01:17 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. mk

Stop eating wheat/gluten. Wheat is an inflammatory. Worked like a charm for me.

April 15, 2014 at 08:08 | Report abuse | Reply
    • theemptyone1

Wheat/gluten, the latest health scare, trend. Let's forget that civilization developed and spread on wheat farming and its consumption. Finicky, finicky, finicky.... does equal health and placebo is a powerful thing.

April 15, 2014 at 12:51 | Report abuse |
    • mk

Yeah, because the wheat we eat today is the very same wheat that our ancestors ate. No differences, right?

April 16, 2014 at 08:07 | Report abuse |
  4. Becky J

Has anyone here looked into topical pain management to fight arthritis pain? These prescription pain gels provide relief when and where you need it with no side effects or pills. I highly suggest looking into it. If you want to know more, please ask or look up A&R Pharmacy. They answered all my questions and got me on the path to living normally again.

April 15, 2014 at 12:02 | Report abuse | Reply
    • D.I.

Active-on. Apply where it hurts. Active-on. For joint and pain relief. ...

Nope, nobody has looked in to this. I stick with my traditional medicines that have been used for over 500 years even if the FDA says that it doesn't work, be it placebo effect or not (and usually not, i can tell if I used the wrong thing sometimes because I will still be in pain, look up and see I was wrong) it does work and symptoms go away and I heal faster. Isn't that the goal?

April 15, 2014 at 16:16 | Report abuse |
  5. Theresa P

I normally am happy to just take meds, but I was afraid to start methotrexate. Decided to switch diet as a last resort before starting the meds, even though doctor and other RA patients said diet had no impact and I was wasting my time. I switched to no wheat, dairy, or corn (in any form) reduced my pain and inflammation completely, and all flexibility returned. It took about 2 months. Thanks goes to google, bloggers, and Dr. John McDougall for pushing me in the diet direction.

April 15, 2014 at 12:28 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. John Muller

I did a white bread and water diet, and my arthritis (PA) basically went away.

Slowly added foods back in until I got a reaction, for me the triggers are the Nightshade family of plants, Potato, Peppers, Tomato and Eggplant.

Wheat, obviously was fine, since it was the only food I ate for a week.

There are many, many types of arthritis, you need to find out what works for you.

April 15, 2014 at 13:16 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. meme

B.s.! This is alternative medicine! Why should we allow fda approval so pharmaceutical companies reap the monetary benefits and patients must obtain a prescription from their medical doctor?? It should continue to be OTC and sold at Chinese herbal stores only.

April 15, 2014 at 13:42 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Elsie Price

The problem is that there is no one supervising or checking these mom&pop operations from selling one thing and calling it something else. There is no quality control at all. If you're dealing with a large company, they have the funds and the staff to do that kind of checking and they have big enough pockets that customers will go after them if they cheat.

April 16, 2014 at 08:31 | Report abuse |
  8. bill

I got an herb that has proven anti oxidant properties and it is a general feel good as well. Get Oh!!Bummer to move that pen for what the people want without an attached penalty. Marijuana.

April 15, 2014 at 13:49 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. horsinaroundjw

We have heard from the tried the diet and it worked but how many out there tried changing diet and it didn't work? I am currently on methotrexate and able to walk, am soo scared to stop meds and go back to how it was. so very unsure if i would dare to try this. Really would like to hear from some who didn't have luck with the diet.

April 15, 2014 at 13:53 | Report abuse | Reply
    • D.I.

Unfortunately, the only way to know if it works for you is for you to do it. People can be so closely related on so many points, then suddenly that one point comes up where they are different (see identical twins). I say go for it, just do it wisely and have things prepared for if it fails but then you will know and no longer wonder.

April 15, 2014 at 16:23 | Report abuse |
  10. stevelevine555

Cold laser therapy helps to relieve rheumatoid arthritis pain very quickly. It's noninvasive and zero side effects. Google it.

April 15, 2014 at 14:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. gstlab3

If we only knew the true dangers of eating white flour and refined sugar by the ton was bad for us not only because it is bad food for human beings but because it has traces of all the chemicals used to create these super sized row crops.
    roundupready monsanto ring a bell?

April 15, 2014 at 16:32 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. GOP Prayer

The GOP Prayer/Mantra/Solution: Dear God...With your loving kindness, help us to turn all the Old, Sick, Poor, Non-white, Non-christian, Female, and Gay people into slaves. Then, with your guidance and compassion, we will whip them until they are Young, Healthy, Rich, White, Christian, Male, and Straight. Or until they are dead. God...Grant us the knowledge to then turn them into Soylent Green to feed the military during the next "unfunded/off-the-books" war. God...Give us the strength during our speeches to repeatedly yell........TAX CUTS FOR THE RICH!!!..........and........GET RID OF SS AND MEDICARE!!!
    In your name we prey (purposely misspelled, or is it?)........Amen

April 15, 2014 at 21:03 | Report abuse | Reply
    • VladT

Sounds like a troll learned how to copy and paste. Yay....education is possible

In all honesty, keep it somewhere where people think you are clever. Perhaps your grandmother's rest home, where with all of the Alzheimer's, they will forget the idiocy of this "parody," then laugh at it again the next day

April 16, 2014 at 04:52 | Report abuse |
    • You voted for Palin didn't you

@VladT – You voted for Palin didn't you.

April 16, 2014 at 11:09 | Report abuse |
  13. Name*Rose

Why do people have to start arguing on here? People are hurting and trying to find answers let not turn this into a play ground! There were a couple ideas mentioned I haven't tried and I appreciate the input!

April 17, 2014 at 08:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Timmy Suckle

I kissed my way up to CEO at a health insurance company. Now I take over $1,000,000 of your health care dollars for NO VALUE ADDED to your health care. And that’s just me. Now think about how many other CEOs, VPs, Directors, Managers, etc. are at my company alone. Now multiply that by thousands of others at hundreds of other health insurance companies. From 10 to 25% of your health care dollars go towards administration that adds NO VALUE to your health care. But my company’s PAC dollars will continue to fool you little people into thinking that a single payer system will be bad. Little people like you are so easy to fool. Little people also don’t realize that a single payer system is the ONLY system that would allow little people (as an entire country) to negotiate better health care prices. Little people don’t realize that the Medical Cartels already know that. And that is the reason why the Medical Cartels spend so much PAC money from the hospitals and doctors lobbying against a single payer system. Some little people say that a single payer system would cost you little people more. But if that were true, then wouldn’t the hospitals and doctors WANT that extra money? Yes they would. So why do the Medical Cartels lobby against a single payer system? It’s because the Medical Cartels know it would allow little people to negotiate better health care prices. And that’s what the Medical Cartels are afraid of. Period.
    But us big wigs at insurance companies, hospitals, and pharmacy companies don’t ever need to worry about health care no matter what it costs. We get our health care paid for one way or another by you little people. And we get the little people that work at our companies to contribute to our PACs. And us big wigs say it’s to protect the little peoples’ jobs. But in reality it would be in the little peoples’ best interest to NOT contribute to the PAC. Again, little people are so easily fooled. I won’t ever have to worry about losing my job with so many little people being brain washed by the Medical Cartels’ PAC money. Not only that, the Medical Cartels’ PAC money is used to elect so many republicans that will never allow a single payer system. Republicans have always fought against any meaningful health care reform. But that’s what our Medical Cartels’ PACs pay them for. Politicians can be bought so easily.
    Pretty soon the only people that will be able to afford health care is us big wigs. And that’s the way it should be. We don’t want you little people using up the resources when we need them. And once again, I thank you little people for capping my SS tax at the $117,000 level. Now I only pay 1.17% SS tax and you little people pay 6.2%. Also, thank you for extending my tax breaks. I’m using the extra money on my vacation houses.

April 17, 2014 at 13:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. collier swarovski

Le diamant d'origine Asscher coupe est très difficile à trouver. Cependant, il ya certains d'entre N0W eux swarovski bijoux qui sont vendus dans les magasins d'antiquités. L'art de la coupe Asscher semble avoir diminué au cours des décennies, avec N0W je vais à la maison. Littéralement. Oh. Et comme M. Rooter stylo swarovski les nazis christian louboutin online store uk la prise en charge de la Royal Asscher Diamond Company à Amsterdam, Pays-Bas.At Tiffany

April 19, 2014 at 04:07 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Samuel Parker

Thanks for sharing a wonderful post with us. I found it very much informative. So arthritis problem is very general in today's life style or many similar problem occur due to arthritis. And their are number of ways to get solve out this problem like many remedies available in the market to get better. But my grandmother was suffering from similar kind of problem and we have tried arthcare oil or http://www.arthcareoil.com/ and saw many wonderful results of it.

April 25, 2014 at 05:38 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. arthritis

Your blog is very informative,thanks for sharing this information.

mdtherapeutics.com

April 29, 2014 at 08:32 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Sikh Therapy

Natural remedies is really good option for join pain relief which helps a lot without any medicine. And on the other hand natural remedies never give you a side effect of anything. Information you provide is very good. Please update more information on this topic.

Thanks

May 7, 2014 at 08:34 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Dr. Anthony Okhidemhe

Herbal medicine for cancer, kidney failure, high blood pressure and so on.

For thousands of year’s herbal products have been the source of comfort and relief. We are experts in health/nutrition and the use of herbs to cure diseases. Since the year 2001 we have helped people across the world pursue a healthy and active life. Our nutrition, weight-management and personal care products are available exclusively through dedicated independent distributors worldwide. We also have herbal products for illnesses such as, cancer, diabetes, kidney failure, asthma, obesity, mental illness, infertility in men and women, arthritis, high blood pressure and so on.

With the help of modern scientific measures, all our products are formulated from herbs & natural herbal extracts. Our herbal medicines are 100% safe with no side effects. With our products, healing is guaranteed. Tell us your problem so that we can find the best way to help you. Contact us today and get the cure that you need.

Email: okhidemhe.herbalcure@gmail.com