home
RSS
Study: Stress may reduce fertility
March 24th, 2014

Study: Stress may reduce fertility

If you're trying to get pregnant, relax and try to keep your stress down.  That sounds like good advice, which your doctor has probably given you, but there has been very little science to back it up - until now.

Researchers, publishing in the journal Human Reproduction, say they have put out the first prospective study showing an association between stress and infertility.  They measured stress using biomarkers in the saliva of women who wanted to conceive, and found a strong correlation with alpha-amylase.

"The women who had the highest levels of this salivary stress biomarker had a 29% decreased probability of pregnancy over time, and that actually translated into a more than two-fold risk of infertility for them by the end of the study," said lead author Courtney Lynch, director of reproductive epidemiology at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center.

The National Institutes of Health already recommends reducing stress while trying to conceive, but this new research actually studied the relationship between stress and fertility, Lynch said.  Four years ago, Lynch and colleagues showed in a previous study that women with higher levels of a stress biomarker in their saliva had a 15% lower chance of getting pregnant in the first cycle.

Keep in mind that these studies show associations, not causes. Researchers did not investigate why stress might lead to infertility, and there could be some other factor that links the two. And there are many other reasons that a couple may be having trouble conceiving.

Participants

In this study, 401 couples completed the entire protocol.  Researchers followed the couples for up to 12 months as the couples tried to conceive.  Those who got pregnant were also followed during the course of pregnancy.  Out of 401 women who went through the entire study, 87% (347) became pregnant and 54 (13%) did not.

All of the women who participated were between ages 18 and 40, were married or in a committed relationship, had recently stopped using contraception and had a male partner aged 18 or above.

Methods

Researchers controlled for the age, race, and income of participants, as well as use of alcohol, caffeine and cigarettes while the women were trying to conceive.

Women gave saliva samples the morning after they enrolled in the study and another the morning after their first period during the course of the study. Researchers tested their saliva for the stress biomarkers cortisol and alpha-amylase.

When beginning the study, women answered a variety of lifestyle questions including one that required them to rate their overall daily stress level.

On a daily basis, couples kept a journal, writing down their stress levels as well as whether they had intercourse or experienced menstruation.

Information was collected between 2005 and 2009 as part of the LIFE Study.

Results

Researchers found that women with the most alpha-amylase had a two-fold increased risk of infertility. There was no association with the other stress biomarker tested, the hormone cortisol.

Based on self-reporting, the women in this study seemed to have lower levels of stress than the general population, so even those with the highest levels of alpha-amylase in the study are likely experiencing a relatively low-level of stress, Lynch said.

Although typically couples are seen as having infertility problems if conception doesn't happen after a year, researchers in the new study saw a steep drop-off after five to six months.  After that time, women with higher stress biomarker levels seem to have a much lower likelihood of becoming pregnant.

"We're suggesting that the five to six-month window is a really an opportunity for women to step back at that point and say, 'Wow, you know, maybe I ought to consider stress as a potential issue for me.' "

Explanation

The study does not suggest that stress is the most important factor in determining whether a couple will conceive, Lynch said.  Medical problems and semen quality would be more likely to influence fertility.

But if stress does affect fertility, why?  Study authors ruled out the idea that stressed-out women are having less intercourse, based on participants' journal reports and alpha-amylase levels.  There are many theories about how stress could impact fertility more directly, but science has not backed up any yet.

Limitations

Stress may have increased for some women as more time went by without conceiving, but that would not have been recorded in this study.

The study did not repeatedly collect saliva samples over time.  And although participants reported their levels of stress over time in their journals, researchers did not take this information into account in the results.  Lynch said self-reported stress levels will be analyzed in a subsequent study.

Interestingly, it is not clear that the self-reported levels of stress correlate with measurable stress biomarkers.  In their previous study, Lynch and colleagues noted this discrepancy - "We could not find a paper-and-pencil questionnaire that predicted this well," she said.

Researchers would also like to know more about who the women are who are experiencing stress-related fertility problems.  Are they more anxious and depressed in general, and less resilient to new stressors?  That would be a subject for further study.

Next steps

Lynch and colleagues are working on a randomized controlled trial of a stress intervention to see if that helps women get pregnant faster if they are having stress issues.

In the meantime, if you're a woman having trouble conceiving after at least five or six months, Lynch recommends trying a proven stress-reducing activity such as mindfulness techniques, meditation, and moderate daily exercise.

"Until we have more data, I think that is the reasonable recommendation to make to women," she said.

1. HH

I'm sorry to see this article, because that's one of the most annoying bits of "advice" offered by family and friends to infertility patients: "You just need to 'relax' and you'll get pregnant." Infertility can't be cured with a vacation at the beach, or a night out for a romantic dinner. We wish it could.

March 25, 2014 at 21:36 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Kay

I never comment but boy did I have to reply to your comment. Thank you..You and I must be kindred spirits because my thoughts are yours. I got so tired and so angry when people would tell me to "stop trying" and you will get pregnant..or just relax or my personal favorite" just adopt and you will get pregnant..At first I used to just smile and say nothing but seethe inside. Then I started to say " well stress may contribute to infertility but doesn't cause it." Actually, adopting does not help one get pregnant. It does happen but no more so than it would have happened anyway." I then started to say that relaxing will not fix my uterine lining issue, thank you. All of these things imply that we can control our infertility!! I went to a famous mind body clinic at my infertility doc. I did acupuncture. I lost weight. I stopped running..guess what? In 10 years and using an egg donor, I never got pregnant. Not once. I am now a happy adoptive mom, and wouldn't change a thing about my infertility journey because without it, I wouldn't have my son. I can say this now, with perspective. But during the wait, it was extremely painful.

March 26, 2014 at 10:35 | Report abuse |
  2. reyes

well that explains high birth rates in non working or welfare families...

March 26, 2014 at 09:19 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Timmy Suckle

I kissed my way up to CEO at a health insurance company. Now I take over $1,000,000 of your health care dollars for NO VALUE ADDED to your health care. And that’s just me. Now think about how many other CEOs, VPs, Directors, Managers, etc. are at my company alone. Now multiply that by thousands of others at hundreds of other health insurance companies. From 10 to 25% of your health care dollars go towards administration that adds NO VALUE to your health care. But my company’s PAC dollars will continue to fool you little people into thinking that a single payer system will be bad. Little people like you are so easy to fool. Little people also don’t realize that a single payer system is the ONLY system that would allow little people (as an entire country) to negotiate better health care prices. Little people don’t realize that the Medical Cartels already know that. And that is the reason why the Medical Cartels spend so much PAC money from the hospitals and doctors lobbying against a single payer system. Some little people say that a single payer system would cost you little people more. But if that were true, then wouldn’t the hospitals and doctors WANT that extra money? Yes they would. So why do the Medical Cartels lobby against a single payer system? It’s because the Medical Cartels know it would allow little people to negotiate better health care prices. And that’s what the Medical Cartels are afraid of. Period.
      But us big wigs at insurance companies, hospitals, and pharmacy companies don’t ever need to worry about health care no matter what it costs. We get our health care paid for one way or another by you little people. And we get the little people that work at our companies to contribute to our PACs. And us big wigs say it’s to protect the little peoples’ jobs. But in reality it would be in the little peoples’ best interest to NOT contribute to the PAC. Again, little people are so easily fooled. I won’t ever have to worry about losing my job with so many little people being brain washed by the Medical Cartels’ PAC money. Not only that, the Medical Cartels’ PAC money is used to elect so many republicans that will never allow a single payer system. Republicans have always fought against any meaningful health care reform. But that’s what our Medical Cartels’ PACs pay them for. Politicians can be bought so easily.
      Pretty soon the only people that will be able to afford health care is us big wigs. And that’s the way it should be. We don’t want you little people using up the resources when we need them. And once again, I thank you little people for capping my SS tax at the $117,000 level. Now I only pay 1.17% SS tax and you little people pay 6.2%. Also, thank you for extending my tax breaks. I’m using the extra money on my vacation houses.

April 2, 2014 at 22:12 | Report abuse |
  3. TM

I'm going to agree wholeheartedly with this article. It took me 4 years to have baby #1 with several miscarriages along the way. Boy was I super stressed about it being and staying pregnant... But it finally happened, naturally. Have a wonderful little boy.
    I'm also currently pregnant with #2 , amazingly pregnant within the second month of trying... completely stress-free and simply amazed and shocked it would happen so easily and quickly... I've now experienced both 'extremes'.

While the advice is "annoying" to those undergoing sub-fertility issues, it's nonetheless true. And it's not implying go an a date, or vacation. That's not enough. It has to be a complete overhaul of how the woman is thinking, processing her thoughts and feelings. I recommend a woman going through sub-fertility to "let go".... Of course, this assumes there's nothing medical explaining the reason for the infertility. The power of the mind is incredible and vast. Believe and it will happen.

March 26, 2014 at 19:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. babinehguixcb

Are you still single? If you think black and white is a beautiful combination. JOIN
    -–>♥ BlackWhitëHub.COM ♥ site is for you. This is a serious Interracial dating services and mixed race dating site dedicated to those seeking real love. For black men dating white women,white men looking for black women. Millions of singles have joined it. What are you waiting for?xcbxcbxcb

March 26, 2014 at 22:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. marilyn58

I don't believe that for a minute, we have always had stress, now we have all these chemicals in our products, meat and GMO's that has to be the reason they just won't tell us.

March 30, 2014 at 23:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. I Be Here Advice

A private place to discuss thoughts or concerns. http://ibehereadvice.com/

March 31, 2014 at 12:09 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. KM

Why doesn't this study also look at whether stress affects men's fertility? How about looking at all factors that go into conception before telling only women to "just relax?"

March 31, 2014 at 15:20 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. products

Produce and Die-cut the Adhesive Tapes with Any Shape and Any Size You Want!!!   Chenmao Industry is a professional adhesive tape factory producing all kinds of adhesive tapes, including industrial tape, electrical insulation tape, masking tape, double-coated adhesive tape, single side tape and Foam tape. It is located in Jiahe Road, Siming District, Xiamen City, Fujian Province.   Our factory devotes ourselves to providing our clients with high-quality products. Supported by

April 1, 2014 at 22:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. abercrombie and fitch kids models

When Big Businesses Were SmallOct. 31 2013 11:49 AMHow to Build a Fame MonsterLady Gaga's grassroots approach to stardom transformed into a blockbuster strategy.Anita Elberse Cool StoryOct. 31 2013 11:29 PMWhen Did Two-Strapping Get Cooler Than One-Strapping?A Slate backpack investigation.Forrest Wickman TUESDAY, APRIL 20, 2010, AT 6:19 PM Tornado Kills at Least Five in Oklahoma FRIDAY, APRIL 29, 2011, AT 3:07 PM Obama Gets Firsthand Look at a Tornado Damage TUESDAY, APRIL 20, 2010, AT 6:1

April 6, 2014 at 21:38 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. nike free 2.0 dame

According to the FDA, a poor fit can cause serious damage, including: Dr. Bernard Lepri, an FDA optometrist, said in an agency news release that the danger isn t with the contacts themselves, however. Decorative contact lenses are not cosmetics or over-the-counter products, the agency said. They are regulated medical devices and outlets that advertise them as cosmetics or sell them without a prescription are breaking the law. You should never buy decorative contact lenses from street vendors, sa

April 13, 2014 at 21:29 | Report abuse | Reply